Round 1, Game 4: Capitals in command of series

Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec is checked by Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin during the first period on Wednesday night. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Washington Post

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Carey Price | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill

• At a Glance: It was a see-saw battle for the first 40 minutes of Game 4 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal between the Canadiens and Capitals on Wednesday night. But the Capitals exploded for a pair of quick goals midway through the third period en route to a 6-3 win.The Capitals opened the scoring with a power-play goal by Alex Ovechkin 8:10 into the opening period. It was Washington’s first power-play goal of the series after going 0-for-14 up to that point. Michael Cammalleri got that one back a minute later on a backhand from in close that eluded Semyon Varlamov. The Canadiens took a 2-1 lead with a power-play goal of their own in the second period when Brian Gionta pounced on a loose puck behind Varlamov and pushed in into an empty net. It was the only one of 21 Canadiens shots that Varlamov could not stop in the second period. But for the second straight game, the Capitals scored a shorthanded goal, this time with seven seconds to play in the second period when Mike Knuble scored off a perfect feed from Boyd Gordon. Washington came out buzzing in the third period and it would eventually pay off as Ovechkin scored his second of the game 11:09 into the period, using his blistering wrist shot to beat Carey Price. Less than a minute later, Jason Chimera made it 4-2. Knuble scored the fifth Capitals goal into an empty net with 2:27 to play, but Dominic Moore scored with just over a minute left to play before Nicklas Backstrom scored with 10 seconds to play.

• What It Means: The Capitals lead the best-of-seven series 3-1

• What’s Next:
Game 5 of the series goes Friday night in Washington. Should Game 6 be required, it would be next Monday night in Montreal.

1. HabsoluteFan says:

Kool on Ice on The Score just said the series is over.  I can’t see it. The Habs collapsed in the 2nd period on Monday after playing a solid 1st period.  I’m hoping for a solid 1st again tonight and hopefully getting the lead.  I don’t know what to expect from Price but if he feels comfortable in the 1st, look out.  He knows this is a great chance for him to prove lots of critics wrong if he manages to pick up a win in game 4.  Obviously, he can’t do it alone.  I’ve seen him have great games this season without getting the W because the team choked in front of him.  We need Gomez to take out his frustration on the score sheet and not by sitting in the box for 5 and 10 minutes.  We need Pouliot to get out of his slump and some support from our bottom lines.  We need the crowd to stay lound and support the team even if they trail.

I’d be very happy heading back to DC tied up at 2.  I predict Pouliot getting one, Cammy getting 2 in a close 3-2 W tonight.

On december 18th, in the middle of a 5 game losing streak, this guy said the habs would turn it around and make the playoffs.

2. SLONCOLD says:

mara bigger though and since he is bigger he is stronger and less likeyl to be tired ….

3. joeybarrie says:

Goaltending is not our problem as Ian says. CORRECT. However, goaltending cost us Game 2 and Game 3. We needed Halak to be at his very best and he wasnt… Hopefully Price will do better, and if he doesnt then it will be goaltending that is the reason for our loss.

This is true because of two things. First our goaltending is not consistent. But its pretty damn good for the ages of our goaltenders. Nothing against them, they are IMPRESSIVE……. But the second part is this. We are not as good a team as the Caps. Our Defense is weak, and our Offense is small and has problems finishing. Also inconsistent. Nothing against them either. Its the first season of a ALMOST completely new team. Given our injuries and our options we have done very very well. Next season we will have alot of suprises.

Regular season, we are losing games by one or two goals, being outshot and outhit. We are not taking players out of the front of the net. Absolutely no reason to blame our goalies on that stuff. But in the playoffs its different. Everyone has to be at their best. MOSTLY the goalies. There is only one in the net. We can play Gomez more or less, Pouliot with this guy or that, Pleks on the PK, and MAB on the PP and hope to get different results. But in the goal there is only one, and in the playoffs he has to be GREAT.

It isnt easy to be great and they should not be the scapegoat. First of all we have NO BUSINESS winning this series. But we can and if we do it will be because of great goaltending. And other functions, but most important is the goalie. LOOK AT JERSEY… Brodeur is averaging 3 goals against and is only facing an average of 26 shots a game. His SV% is terrible. Yeah his team isnt outscoring the opposition…BUT in the end they rely on him. Kovalchuk, Elias and Parise all have at least a point per game.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. wotever says:

Halak didn’t look that great for the last 5 important games.  And we all know now he still does not have what it takes to be number 1,
    who knows maybe next year he’ll finally mature but I seriously doubt it
    until we find the right combination of coaches, coaching staff and
    D-men to support a not as young goalie like Halak.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

5. HNS says:

Let me know when they arrive.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Price has had a great attitude this year. That is often overlooked.

7. Storm Man says:

I miss soup he was like a pitbull

8. jimmy shaker says:

Are you sure you’re not angry?  Calling MAB a “gnome”?  Anyway the all powerful +/- stat that is the most useless stat in the NHL, but yes go by it by all means.  1st and 2nd game were very decent and respectable.  Yes last game was his “Bad” one……but what are your thoughts on our weakest link, Hammer?  Haven’t heard anyone go after this guy.  Who can’t keep a puck in our zone on a PP, who can’t skate back or recover once he gets beat.  Who adds zero to our offence, who for some reason can’t get a shot through from the point, who again for some reason can’t raise a puck off the ice if his life depends on it and I’ll stop there for now…..give you a chance to respond!

9. BJ says:

Carbo didn’t do much to get himself another NHL job with his contribution to the U-18 team Canada. Canada is in the relegation round with the possibility of ending up in the B pool. He better hang on to his commentator job. I also miss Bouillon. I don’t know how the Habs “experts” lose all these guys? Beauchemin, Robidas etc. I’ve never been impressed with the teams’ ability to evaluate and develop talent.

10. Storm Man says:

Just look at a pic of him 5 years ago and one of him now. OV has Schwarzenegger jaw

11. Olay Olay Olay says:

I think our inability to stop guys from crashing our crease cost us game 3. Everyone keeps saying how small our offense is but what about our D. They work hard but they can’t seem to keep anyone in check in our crease. I noticed last game they were even leaving guys in the crease to crowd Halak after the whistle! I mean come on! start sending a message or two to back up off their net.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

He whined to the press about being returned to play too soon. One thing about the Habs under Gainey was clear: complain to the press and you are gone (yes Alex Tanguay, I’m also thinking of you.)

13. joeybarrie says:

At 750k he would have been a better option than MARA. But we only know that after the fact.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

I liked him but Carbo did not.

15. forskis says:

When he WAS here, people said he was too small despite his heart and wanted him shipped out.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

16. KenD29 says:

Thank you twocents. Your comment is bang on. Stop looking at the goalies as it has for the most part, not been their fault for the losses.

As you said, look at the gnome(s) on D !!  Good one!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

17. joeybarrie says:

Last game Darche had a total of 2:22 minutes of ice time Metro had 5 minutes and Pyatt had 7 but mostly on the PK. Not a single Cap player played less than 9 and a half minutes.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. forskis says:

If he plays well and the team does not compete as hard in front of him…that would be an indictment of the team, not him…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Goaltending cost us game two.

Varlamov outplayed Jaro in game 3 although I don’t think that was the determining factor.

20. twocents says:

Well, I share your opinion on most of what you wrote, but not on Bergeron’s contribution to THIS team. His overall impact is a negative one IMO and that’s the bottom line. You’re not going to convince me otherwise. I have given him plenty of chances to prove his overall value.

You said it yourself, there isn’t a good partner fit for him on THIS team, and this is the team I am concerned about. I couldn’t really care less if he would make a good fit with some theoretical player, these games aren’t being played in theory. Sit him, or play 3 lines and dress him as seventh. PP only.

21. Kooch7800 says:

You know who we shoudl have kept and I really don’t know why we didn’t Frankie Boulion.  I have watched him play on Nashville this year and I miss having him as a hab.  He wasn’t that big but he was tough as hell

22. KenD29 says:

The 3rd line had to play more Monday night. Gomez was in the box for 10 minutes!

Plecanec was also in the box for 4 minutes!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

23. forskis says:

Not sure that the Calgary Herald story linked below is much to go on…so far, all it states is that the Caps and NHL state that an investigation into the links and allegations have come up with nothing even though no investigation has been initiated yet…

Regardless, there is no way, the NHL will allow one of its 21st-century darling franchises and faces of the NHL be dragged through the mud…for all we know, Bettman will probably pin the link on another less-favored team.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

24. Storm Man says:

I like the fact the NHL says it made Investigations into the matter and the case is closed now LMAO. A urine test would put some light on this matter.

Le Jadester, we have the horses to get the job done, no driver!

26. Olay Olay Olay says:

I can definitely agree with you there. I’ve never been a fan of Price’s attitude but you can’t deny this kids got talent. I hope he does well for everyones sake. But I’ve been saying all year is that it doesn’t seem to matter how well he plays, this team doesn’t seem to compete as hard in front of him.

Agree! Troy

28. Le Jadester says:

I agree.  Go back to game # 1 strategy cause it obviously worked. Win as a team and lose as a team.

Unfortunately JM has no balls and is already looking for excuses.  His scapegoat will be “I played all our money players and that’s all I could do.  It was up to them to get it done on the ice.  Thats why they get paid all the Millions ” Too bad JM sets them up for failure with his philosophies.

All he is, is a finger pointer who never backs up his players.  A good coach is one that is part of the team and takes the blame for losses and gives credit to the players when they win.

JM Sucks

Les Boyz will win for one another tonight ( and Captain Kirk of coarse) !

Habs, OLE !

29. twocents says:

I’m not angry. I am offering my opinion.

One bad game? Which one of the 3 was his good one?

I assume the last one was his bad one. Was the good one where he was -1 and had no points? Or was it the one before that where he was -1 and had no points, with nearly 28 minutes of icetime?

the 3rd and 4th lines can score, but more importantly they can wear out the opposition some, making it a little easier for our 1st and 2nd line staying fresher for 3 periods and overtime if need be.

31. newbrunswick troy says:

Ian i could not agree more…the only way the habs can be sucsessful is by using all four lines–

playing at 100%…history has showed me that its not directly our size thats the killer..its that we burn out and

can,t play a full 60min. game/////in game one the goo-roo,s claim the caps didn,t play well…but they did,however we were able to use 4lines rev,ed up to go 60min./////thats the ticket to a series tie..

32. HabFanSince72 says:

Did you see the way Eric Fehr went to the net to get the 2nd goal? He skated through our D like a hot knife in butter.

By the way, didn’t I tell you so about Philly beating NJ?

33. HabFanSince72 says:

The NHL will do everything it can to make sure there is no further investigtion.

Goal tending has not been our problem all year. We have two of the
    best youg kids in the league learning how to play in the NHL. Other
    teams would die to have what we have between the pipes.

The question is can our whole team play strong enough in front of them to give our kids a chance to win.

35. krob1000 says:

IF he is paired with O’Byrne at his potential yu have a perfect fit, if he is paired with Hammer last year…you have another good fit, if he is paired with Hal Gill 5 years ago you have a decnt fit, If Gorges was slightly bigger…good fit.  I am 100 percent evaluating his overlal contribution….he does move the puck extremely well and is great intransition, he is not that poor on d that his other abilities nulify his value IMO.  He is just not a top minute guy and expecially not who whould be playing with Markov….Markov is better at both ends of the ice but if Bergy is taking away touches from markov which I believe he is then we have a problem.  I would seriously ditch Darche and Pyatt right now, dress 7 d have Bergy play pp and favourable matchups to spread Hammers minutes, have Sergei dressed and have him fill in…sure would have been a nice option as a playmaker ont he pp when Gomez and Pleks were in the box….not that Jm would dare let Sergei succeed though.  I still dress Bergeron and if I don;t I play Cammalleri on that point on the pp….heplayed it before  in LA…ironically we never tried it at center either despite him showing elsewhere he can do that too….oh well.  It sucks that MAb isn’t a little bigger with a bigger wingspan and more physicality but overall considering what everyone brings  he is just as serviceable IMO as Gorges, Gill, O’Byrne, and this years version of Hammer……sad but true IMO anyway.

36. Olay Olay Olay says:

I’m not sure were you are getting you’re getting your facts from, I’m not saying you’re wrong but it seemed to me the 3rd and 4th lines had tons of playing time during the 1st and 2nd periods and didn’t do much with that time. I agree it’s hard on the players when you shorten a bench too early but when you’re behind on goals heading into the 3rd, what else are you supposed to do? This is coaching 101, and ever coach in the league will do the same to win big games.

37. Storm Man says:

Who is this Moen guy you keep talking about?

38. Storm Man says:

He is in Boston

39. Caballero says:

I want to see the Lapierre line that woke us up the other night. Where did they go?

40. jimmy shaker says:

And again the crows are circling the roadkill.  The guy has one bad game and everyone is freaking out.  Can you please channel your anger towards hammer.  He’s been by far a worse d-man than MAB.  He’s a waste of skin 5.5 mill per 36 year old unreliable scab.  If you want to talk hurting the team, then there is where you start.  MAB has been playing very decent since his insertion back on the D about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Yes he has the occasional brain cramp, but tell me someone on our team that doesn’t do that?  What is our alternative to MAB?  O’byrne? The answer to that is NO!  O’Byrne takes needless penalties, can’t push the puck and has zero offensive capabilities.  If you wanna dress 7D, then yes that’s fine.  Or drop Hammer for O’Byrne then I’m fine with that too.  BUt JM won’t do that!  MAB will show up tonight, but we need a lot more than MAB to get the job done.  How about MOEN, MEtro, Moore, LAPS, Pyatt, Darche.  Traffic in front of Varly is our main concern tonight, not MAB.  You guys love to hate him for some reason.  His upside is way better than that of O’byrne, and that’s why he’s in the lineup.  You’ll have to wait till next year to get rid of MAB…..but for the skills that he has and the cheap cap hit he takes up……you just might have to put up with him for a little while longer….we will see!

Four lines playing flat out for 60 minits will take the Caps. If Martin plays half his bench again, he will burn them out by the second.

42. twocents says:

Maybe Bergeron could fit in better with another team, though no other GM’s saw it that way this summer, but that’s neither here nor there, he’s on our team and he is hurting us. Plain and simple.

And, I don’t think he is a decent defender. If you take into consideration his offence, he is a decent defenceman, but still a poor defender. He makes the Breeze look good in his own end by comparison.

43. Caballero says:

I totally agree with you. Here is a translation of Francois Gagnon: “If Price wins tonight he will be held up on Mont-Royal as a hero, if he loses he will be crucified on the big illuminated cross”

44. SLONCOLD says:

mara is done for the year

45. SLONCOLD says:

“NJ out of the playoffs faster than Brodeur can run to his sister in-law”

nice lol

46. topher5468 says:

I guess your not a regular on this site, If Price losses there will be a lynching on this site. Regardless if Price plays well or not, he losses it will be chaos on this site. Trust me

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

47. namgel says:

Thats why OV looks like the guys from the Geico commercials.

Coach Martin say’s one… little forward…two….two lit..

48. krob1000 says:

I think he can be a lower pair dman and be used effectively.  Playing him top pairing minutes is kind of silly and to me it is limiting Markov’s ability to do his own thing.  See on most teams fitting Bergeron wouldn;’ be a problem…but we have such an odd cast of dmen.  We have Gill who as a stay at home guy one would think is an ideal partner for MAB…..BUT…..he is too slow to be a shutdown guy on 5 on 5 and to be relied to fill in to compensate for MAB.  Gorges, another stay at home guy has the speed but lacks the size and a pair of Gorges and MAB would be an easy target for a dump and chase game.  Hammer and Spacek are both decent defenders but niether fits in the stay at home role required to compensate for MAB.  I do think MAB is a  decent defender but I think O’Byrne should be playing with Markov.  The inability of some of our dmen to do all of the necessary things makes this problem more apparent than it should be.  MAB is not a terrible dman but he is not a good one either… take the bad with the good but we just don’t have the cast that he fits into on d.  In fact our d is actually a mess….O’Byrne needs to be playing IMO as he has some size, decent speed, toughenss and is only lacking in experienced decision making IMO.  He was even starting to read plays better at the offensive end for a while there until he was yanked.  I am afraid that as long as we have the mismatched skillsets we do on d that MAB may not have a place….but if Darche, Metro and Pyatt aren’t going to see regular minutes…why not dress 7 D? and dress Sergei? at least then mixing and matching is possible and you have more variety and situational advantages.  Having O’Byrne in could save Hamrlik some minutes, and having Sergei in could help on the PK and he could fill in any given shift in any position on any line……it is a no brainer to me but Martin likes guys who buzz around doing nothing…I am all for effort but a better hockey player is a better hockey player is a better hockey player…..that simple.

49. Vid says:

I hope OByrne gets a shot in the lineup tonight.   I think he’d make a difference, not a huge one mind you but one that would be positive.  He can hit and as a right-hand shot he’d have an easier time of clearing the puck in the d-zone on the right boards rather than have every other Dman attempting to backhand it out.

Then again I also thought Ryder should’ve played in the Philly series a couple years back.

Price deserves a shot.  Halak was good in game 1 but not so good in games 2 & 3 albeit the defence was mostly to blame.  Still changing the goalie is sometimes more of a message to the Defence to shape up.

Our D is the main issue so for me it doesn’t matter much who’s in nets.

not that I care if Mara plays or not but is he still injured?

50. Ton says:

ah Boudreau on the defense now, no more BS stories to hype up his club like the “coaches are watching us”. now the world is watching with this new breaking story.  It may go no where like the oilers story of the 80’s.

51. Caballero says:

“When everyone plays like that — they don’t have much out there. Really,
    they don’t,” he said of the Habs to a Washington reporter.”

52. habbynessisyellingohabsgo says:

That would explain why they’re so damn good!!!

53. SLONCOLD says:

Well, go carey go!!!! he’ll need some help. this switch is more about waking up the team than it is about the goalies right now; we’re also fortunate to have a backup plan like carey at this stage of the season too.

gotta score more on the PP and have to continue the strong PK. Defensively, i don’t think much is going to change so i’m expecting a similar result to the last game…

i hope the habs D thinks a bit more before they pinch and turnover the puck….

54. nunacanadien says:

I don’t there will be many who criticize Price if he loses tonite, everyone knows what Price can do or cannot do, and we all know now he still does not have what it takes to be number 1, who knows maybe next year he’ll finally mature but I seriously doubt it until we find the right combination of coaches, coaching staff and D-men to support a young goalie like Price.

For Halak, he has managed to look good regardless of who he has playing in front of him, whether its the Slovakian Olympic team, or a lacklustre injury prone team such as last year and this year.

55. lavie says:

JM used MAB TOO much! Markov-OB was a good pair.

JM seemed forgot that MAB was an un-employed Dman before coming to MTL.

56. Fansincebirth says:

What the hell is Green yapping about?

57. adam76 says:

I wonder what he had for breakfast?  I wonder if he loves unicorns?

It was on a US station and I did not get which paper or TV station Epstein works for to track down the full story. I just heard it while having breakfast. I want to make sure that I got it correct so I am going to google him and get the full story, if I can.

59. adam76 says:

Here is the link – posted 14 hours ago.

Why isn’t the Gazette all over this?

60. topher5468 says:

I can only imagine the decension on this site if Price losses tonight. My thoughts are that his playoff losing streak has to end sometime, why not tonight. I just really hope he plays well. I also agree that blowing a huge lead in game 2 tells the Caps their never out of any game, it gives them a lot of confidence,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

61. twocents says:

Goaltending is not out problem, as has been the case all year.

You want problems? Look no further than our garden gnome on D. Bergeron has been on the ice for 6 of the 13 goals scored against us in this series. The most of any D and twice the number of Markov, who has been on for the least. MAB is a team worst -5. Markov, his partner most of the time, is -2.

He brings offence you say? He has no points and has been on the ice for 3 Habs goals. Both Spacek and Gill, the only plus player on the team, have been on the ice for 4 Montreal goals. Markov has been on for 3 goals scored and has one point.

Bergeron is simply not a legitimate NHL defenceman. AND HE”S GETTING THE SECOND MOST ICE TIME OF ANY OF OUR PLAYERS, OVER 22 MINUTES! Play him on wing and PP or sit him. Considering our need to have the third and forth lines play physically, I say sit him.

62. Caballero says:

That would explain their swollen heads.

63. mike g says:

I’d rather be Martin St-Louis small, but have crazy ballz to do anything.

Small and gritty players are big in the head. Not egotistic, but they play bigger and think as if they were 6 foot 4.

And the only reason why were losing this series is because of secondary scoring. While were shutting down OVi and their big guns for the mostpart, their 3rd and 4th lines are scoring big big goals. Something our’s aren’t doing. Immagine what just 1 goal from our 3rd and 4th lines could have do in this series….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

64. yves_on_habs says:

– Yves –

Blog –

Twitter –

65. Caballero says:

No it was because the Caps were underestimating us, hopefully they are back to underestimating us again and we can pull off the win tonight.

CJ, I love my hockey technical and fast, not dirty, but the reality is that hockey is a game of intimidation and this team needs to get mean. One way of intimidating the opponent without doing anything is to have a bit more size than we’ve got now. I am not saying we should get rid of the Giontas and Cammys, just add a few players who are big and mean to the mix. Why is it that tough players who come here automatically turn into vegan green party members who are all about the love?

News reporter, Epstein from N,Y is reporting that the Washington Capitals of the NHL are now under investigation for the ues of steroid enhancing drugs by some of their players.

I saw this on T.V. this morning.

67. Ton says:

good post.  its putting it all together, big, small, systems, character, organization, coaching, identity, quality players big or small. With big players you get the same amount of draw backs as small.  big players are often slower, weaker on their skates, etc. Rick Nash type players are rare. I think were on our way, were attracking free agents we never thought we could, it will come.

68. mike g says:

In the media and on this site, there is so much talk about the Habs’ lack of size and “physical presence” in the lineup…

Am I the only one who notices that the Habs’ small players have been such a non-issue? WTF have Washington’s “big” players done so far in this series, crash the net? You don’t have to be over 6 feet to be infront of the net. Alex Burrows, Saku Koivu, Gionta, and even Danny Briere last night all go infront of the net. They are all tiny guys. It’s not a matter of your size, it’s a matter of your willingness to go there..

And second of all, Washington has not once killed us in a game because of intimidation/physical play. Yah, they’ve had the overall edge in hits. But hits don’t win you a series, and it wasn’t a bodycheck that scored for the Caps in overtime of game 2. It was the Habs drifting away from their system. We all laughed all year, myself included, about JM’s system. Well, the big-ear coach knew what he was doing. We managed to win game 1 without being totally dominated. We had a commanding lead in game 2, and lost it only because we threw the system out the window. It was working perfectly fine, the Habs were coming home 2-0, something nobody on earth predicted.

So for all who are obsessed with the big players Washington has, think again. Their big team has done nothing that big players usually do to crush small teams. Watch the Flyers play vs New Jersey. Philly is a big team that actually uses their size, and they’re running NJ out of the playoffs faster than Brodeur can run to his sister in-law. The Caps don’t use their size nearly as much, so let’s not make this an issue or a big deal….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. Dunboyne Mike says:

Here in Ireland, had to watch Game 1 on Verso (appalling commentary). One point they kept harping on was how the Caps’ size would fatigue the Habs. Au contraire, I thought that in Game 1 the Habs’ speed had the Caps’ — especially the D — looking pretty spent by the third period.

We haven’t done that since. Is that because the Verso guys are right? That the cumulative fatigue from being over-matched in size has started to wear us down? (I find that hard to believe — surely toughness matters more than size).

Or are there other reasons? What are they? I reckon addressing those reasons is essential, because playing the speed game creates the openings we need (witness Plek’s beauty in Game 2), even if we DON’T park people in the crease to upset Varly’s sight-lines.

Despite my opinion on size above, I think it’s good to have O’Byrne back. Apart from anything he’ll be hungry. Great to see Gomez waking up and Cammy returning to form. Gionta is proving a great vindication of Gainey’s vision.

Any updates on how Metro’s brief return has worked out? All season long I was thinking, Now there’s a guy who’ll be of huge value in the playoffs. But is he fit enough to contribute the way he did before the shoulder?

70. Drive4twenty5 says:

I think we just need to get tougher and not frustrated. Bigger, well maybe in front of the net would help, make the caps pay a little more if they wanna crash the net.

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

71. Caballero says:

BB, Ovechkin and now Mike Green. Can someone on our roster shut this arrogant team up?

72. CoachJoe says:

Since so many feel the need to point out that we need to get bigger as a knee jerk reaction to the result in game 3, I am just wondering how much bigger do we need to get?

As big as Vinny Lecavalier and the Lightning?

As big as Eric Staal and the Canes?

As big as Cory Perry and Ryan Getzlaf with the Ducks?

I would just like a standard to be set by the experts because if we are going to trade away all our assets to try to match the success of the teams I mentioned above by getting as big as them, it will be important to be precise in HOW big we need to get.

When the Habs were flying in the 1st period and Varlamov was standing on his head, was it because the Caps were TOO big that they could not slow us down?

I am so confused…

73. Laramy87 says:

Fact of the matter is Washington started to crash the net, thworing Halak off his game and i guess scarying him a bit perhaps why he is playing deeper in his net.

Price is bigger and stronger than Halak and i think can deal with the crashing of the net better…

Tonight is huge, go habs