Round 1, Game 3: Capitals take series lead

Canadiens’ Marc-André Bergeron (right) loses his balance after a check by Capitals’ Brooks Laich during first period Monday night. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Monday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Washington Post

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Tomas Plekanec | Scott Gomez | | Carey Price | Jacques Martin | Bruce Boudreau | Alex Ovechkin | Eric Fehr

• At a Glance: For 20 minutes on Monday night, it looked
like the Canadiens would give the Washington Capitals another run for their
money. But that all came apart in the second period as the Capitals exploded
for four goals and chased Jaroslav Halak from the net before eventually winning 5-1 in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal. Boyd Gordon opened the scoring shorthanded when he put the puck past a sprawled Halak, who had been knocked into his net by teammate Jaroslav Spacek. Brooks Laich made it 2-0 with a nice deflection at the top of the crease and Eric Fehr made it 3-0 four minutes later. Jacques Martin has seen enough and called on Carey Price. He was beaten by Alex Ovechkin after he was left alone in the slot, firing a one-timer past Price. The Canadiens finished the second period and started the third without their top two centres after Scott Gomez took a 10-minute misconduct with five minutes to play and Tomas Plekanec took a double-minor with 2:05 remaining. Plekanec did redeem himself somewhat
after leaving the box, beating Semyon Varlamov on a Montreal power play 2:25
into the third period. Varlamov, who replaced former Canadiens José Theodore in Game 2, was solid Monday night, stopping 25 of 26 shots.Matt Bradley made it 5-1 with 45 seconds to play when he popped a rebound past Price after the Canadiens were unable to clear the zone several times.

• What It Means: The Capitals lead the best-of-seven series 2-1.

• What’s Next:
Game 4 is Wednesday at the Bell Centre, with Game 5 in Washington on Friday. Games 6 and 7, if necessary,  will be next Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

1. Natrous says:

LOL – alright then – how did you post so many comments (one after the other) and not notice you avatar?? hahah!

2. matmacat says:

yea, I noticed he shakes half the time, throughout the regular season too. I kinda guessed it had something to do with the bottle.

3. habsfaninboston says:

Terrible move IMHO.  Darche should be sitting.  SK is more suited to the Caps style of play.

4. krob1000 says:

I want to vomit ….. I would rather have Metro coach and JM sit for tonight.

5. spoonfullofjelly says:

I do not understand how SK has not gotten more ice time anyway. This style of game should suit his abilities.

6. joe the pro says:

good morning all you habs fans, no matter what happens isn’t it just fun to watch great players ( ovechkin, backstrom, camalleri, ak46, plecanek) and teams playing  exciting playoff games. The team that wins tonight will win the series, this is like game seven. We (habs) are lucky washinghton has two weak goalies becuase their offensive guns are potent(ovecken, semin, backstom)we are also lucky that semin is missing the net, what a shot he has.anyways two points i would like to make, its true Boone, about the refs, i didn’t like knuble snubbing halak, but lets not blame the refs right now. Take that knuble out,  crosscheck his f’ing ass when he is in front of the net. second point , about gomez what if they won the game , he would be praised for fighting, he came to gionta’s rescue and thats great!!!! its shows how focused (gomez ) is. good for him.I am reeally impressed with gomez, i thought he was slow and sluggish at the beginning but i see he is fast and effective now. GO HABS GO

7. Ayan_SB says:

SK out, Metro in, according to RDS.

Sergei’s been a Caps killers all season. How does JM justify not benching Darche after the last game?

8. spoonfullofjelly says:

That’s even crazier, Price will get spooked by the home fans.

9. lavie says:

Ovech is learning from Pleks’s “strategy” to create contraversy, but it’s pre-mature.

10. Kooch7800 says:

If he is (which I don’t think he is) they will play Price.  Not a bad option if you ask me

11. spoonfullofjelly says:

Is Halak shook?

I don’t think so.

But if he is, watch out.

12. Clutch10 says:

Ovechkin on Halak – “I watched the replay when Eric Fehr scored the goal and his arm was shaking when he drink water. So he’s nervous. He knows the pressure on him and it’s a good sign for us.”

I don’t know about you guys but I play hockey and when you try to squeeze those shitty gatorade bottles that are half empty your hand shakes.

I hope Halak plays and shuts them out.

13. secretdragonfly says:

Oh Chuck my boy, you missed a doozy – I am no prude by any stretch of the imagination but this one was WAY over the line.  At least most of the girls in the avatars here are semi-clothed and not displaying their brazilian wax jobs, if you know what I mean.

14. TomNickle says:

I sees what ya sayin.

The group is much larger than the one I named however.

Since we all know this game is going to overtime, I’m gonna go ahead and predict Dominic Moore will score the OT winner in tonight’s game.

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one

15. Storm Man says:

That could be with his skates on :) that is his 5′ 11

16. Storm Man says:

Somebody had to standup and say you cant run my teammates like this, btw who is the moen guy that wears 32 in the line up what is his job on the team?

17. Kooch7800 says:

It is because he is now on the Habs.  People love to scrutinize this team to death.  Just let them be.  They look better with the smaller players in this years playoffs against a bigger, better team that Boston of last year and we are playing 100 times better.

Last year was just embarrasing.  This year even if we don’t get passed the caps we can hang out heads high

18. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s not the Varlamov of last year’s playoffs, multiple injuries this season and a ton of recovery time, he’s barely had any time to recover well so I’d say hit him early and shake him up. Force Boudreau to pull him and put Theo in, break both goalies at the Bell Centre so they’re utterly defeated by the game it reverts back to Capitals ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. lavie says:

I just don’t understand why people refer Gomez as a small player???

Gomez: Height- 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
    Plekanec: Height- 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
    Metro: Height- 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)
    SK: Height- 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)

Gionta: Height- 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)
    Cammi: Height- 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)