Round 1, Game 3: Capitals take series lead

Canadiens’ Marc-André Bergeron (right) loses his balance after a check by Capitals’ Brooks Laich during first period Monday night. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Monday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Washington Post

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Tomas Plekanec | Scott Gomez | | Carey Price | Jacques Martin | Bruce Boudreau | Alex Ovechkin | Eric Fehr

• At a Glance: For 20 minutes on Monday night, it looked
like the Canadiens would give the Washington Capitals another run for their
money. But that all came apart in the second period as the Capitals exploded
for four goals and chased Jaroslav Halak from the net before eventually winning 5-1 in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal. Boyd Gordon opened the scoring shorthanded when he put the puck past a sprawled Halak, who had been knocked into his net by teammate Jaroslav Spacek. Brooks Laich made it 2-0 with a nice deflection at the top of the crease and Eric Fehr made it 3-0 four minutes later. Jacques Martin has seen enough and called on Carey Price. He was beaten by Alex Ovechkin after he was left alone in the slot, firing a one-timer past Price. The Canadiens finished the second period and started the third without their top two centres after Scott Gomez took a 10-minute misconduct with five minutes to play and Tomas Plekanec took a double-minor with 2:05 remaining. Plekanec did redeem himself somewhat
after leaving the box, beating Semyon Varlamov on a Montreal power play 2:25
into the third period. Varlamov, who replaced former Canadiens José Theodore in Game 2, was solid Monday night, stopping 25 of 26 shots.Matt Bradley made it 5-1 with 45 seconds to play when he popped a rebound past Price after the Canadiens were unable to clear the zone several times.

• What It Means: The Capitals lead the best-of-seven series 2-1.

• What’s Next:
Game 4 is Wednesday at the Bell Centre, with Game 5 in Washington on Friday. Games 6 and 7, if necessary,  will be next Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

1. MontrealAtheist says:

Agreed! Last time even 5 goals weren’t enough though so I would suggest to aim for at least 6 today, just to be on the safe side.

2. andrewberkshire says:

At least with SK, you don’t get a guy who turned over the puck that led to a goal, and is useless on the PP.

3. Natrous says:

Yes, most/all of the goals Washington scored were very nice plays/good shots, but on Backstrom’s 3rd and Carlson’s goal, Halak should be been out of his crease and cutting off the angle better than he was.

Halak didn’t play a terrible game by any means, but he let in a couple of goals that most goalies should stop in the playoffs. I hope he bounces back tonight, but the moment he shows any weakness or ‘cracks in the armour’, is the moment Price needs to see some action to see where he’s at.

4. wmarcello says:

What? He IS small. Just because the Habs have a ton of smaller players doesn’t automatically make Gomez a giant. Pleks, Metro, SK, Gionta, Cammi, AND Gomez are all small.

5. KenD29 says:

What did SK do last game? At least with darche, you get a player who is not afraid to hit or take a hit.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

6. Natrous says:

LOL – alright then – how did you post so many comments (one after the other) and not notice you avatar?? hahah!

7. matmacat says:

yea, I noticed he shakes half the time, throughout the regular season too. I kinda guessed it had something to do with the bottle.

8. habsfaninboston says:

Terrible move IMHO.  Darche should be sitting.  SK is more suited to the Caps style of play.

9. krob1000 says:

I want to vomit ….. I would rather have Metro coach and JM sit for tonight.

10. spoonfullofjelly says:

I do not understand how SK has not gotten more ice time anyway. This style of game should suit his abilities.

11. joe the pro says:

good morning all you habs fans, no matter what happens isn’t it just fun to watch great players ( ovechkin, backstrom, camalleri, ak46, plecanek) and teams playing  exciting playoff games. The team that wins tonight will win the series, this is like game seven. We (habs) are lucky washinghton has two weak goalies becuase their offensive guns are potent(ovecken, semin, backstom)we are also lucky that semin is missing the net, what a shot he has.anyways two points i would like to make, its true Boone, about the refs, i didn’t like knuble snubbing halak, but lets not blame the refs right now. Take that knuble out,  crosscheck his f’ing ass when he is in front of the net. second point , about gomez what if they won the game , he would be praised for fighting, he came to gionta’s rescue and thats great!!!! its shows how focused (gomez ) is. good for him.I am reeally impressed with gomez, i thought he was slow and sluggish at the beginning but i see he is fast and effective now. GO HABS GO

12. Ayan_SB says:

SK out, Metro in, according to RDS.

Sergei’s been a Caps killers all season. How does JM justify not benching Darche after the last game?

13. spoonfullofjelly says:

That’s even crazier, Price will get spooked by the home fans.

14. lavie says:

Ovech is learning from Pleks’s “strategy” to create contraversy, but it’s pre-mature.

15. Kooch7800 says:

If he is (which I don’t think he is) they will play Price.  Not a bad option if you ask me

16. spoonfullofjelly says:

Is Halak shook?

I don’t think so.

But if he is, watch out.

17. Clutch10 says:

Ovechkin on Halak – “I watched the replay when Eric Fehr scored the goal and his arm was shaking when he drink water. So he’s nervous. He knows the pressure on him and it’s a good sign for us.”

I don’t know about you guys but I play hockey and when you try to squeeze those shitty gatorade bottles that are half empty your hand shakes.

I hope Halak plays and shuts them out.

18. secretdragonfly says:

Oh Chuck my boy, you missed a doozy – I am no prude by any stretch of the imagination but this one was WAY over the line.  At least most of the girls in the avatars here are semi-clothed and not displaying their brazilian wax jobs, if you know what I mean.

19. TomNickle says:

I sees what ya sayin.

The group is much larger than the one I named however.

Since we all know this game is going to overtime, I’m gonna go ahead and predict Dominic Moore will score the OT winner in tonight’s game.

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one