Round 1, Game 1: Canadiens stun Capitals

Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec reacts after scoring the winning goal on Thursday night. Greg Fiume/Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Jaro Spacek | Tomas Plekanec | Jaro Halak

• At a Glance: José Theodore, meet Tomas Plekanec. The Canadiens centre scored the winning goal in overtime for a 3-2 win over the Washington Capitals in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference playoff series. Despite being outplayed in the first period, the game was tied 1-1. Michael Cammalleri finally broke out of his scoring slump with a power-play goal 12:36 into the first period on a nice pass from Andrei Markov, one of only seven Montreal shots on Theodore in the first period. The Capitals tied it 1-1 a few minutes later when a Joe Corvo shot hit the handle of Jaroslav Halak’s stick and deflected into the net. Halak faced 19 shots in the first period alone, and 47 in the entire game. After a scoreless second period, the Capitals wasted little time taking the lead in the third period. Only 47 seconds into the frame, and less than 30 seconds after the end of a Montreal power play, Nicklas Backstrom scored a great goal a nice no-look pass from Mike Knuble. But Scott Gomez got that one back about seven minutes later on a nice three-way passing play between Benoit Pouliot, Brian Gionta and Gomez.

• What It Means:
  The Canadiens lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.

• What’s Next:
Game 2 of the series goes on Saturday night in Washington. Games 3 and 4 are next Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

1. JD_ says:

Bang on.

Systemless hockey is predicated on individual performances. Keep ’em at bay and try to pop the first couple and they’ll really all try to do it themselves.

The only way that’s going to happen is if the Habs stifle them and the only way the Habs stifle them is a full-out, second-effort game from the get-go. The Habs have shown they are capable of it this season. Unfortunately, they’ve also demonstrated they can deliver 40-60 minutes at the other, very wrong end of the spectrum.

The tone will likely be set in the first period. Hope the right team shows up.

2. cautiousoptimist says:

Gives me hope for our own goalie re-signings.  Price’s numbers aren’t much different than Gustavsson’s, and he doesn’t play on nearly as lousy a team.  No, that’s not a criticism of anyone…  I’m just saying maybe we can sign him for $2M instead of $3M — the extra money would go a long way toward relieving our cap situation next year.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  3. punkster says:

Look, this Caps team has a player named Chimera.  And another named Fleicshmann. Doesn’t that tell you something about them? A fantasy and a fake butter. That team is an illusion. Their true form will reveal itself over the coming week. Go Habs!

4. joeybarrie says:

Red light Racicot would have a 23-0 record with the Caps over the last 23 games… In fact, I bet I would have at least a 22-1 record myself, and I have NEVER played in goals before.

If we can solve the Caps offense the series is ours. If not, it doesn’t matter if Theo site on the bench while the rest of his team plays without a goalie…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

5. Off-side says:

I agree too.

6. Off-side says:

Ummm, I think you missed the tone of the Washington response.  It was sarcasm.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Would’ve been more, but they had to deduct a significant portion of his salary to hire a team of cardiologists to follow him around.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. Off-side says:

Perhaps like the media trying to make something out of
    nothing with Plekanec’s comments, the writer to the article “post-season chirping in full flight” is trying
    to make something out of nothing with JM’s reaction to Plekanec’s
    comments.  I think what JM said (and went unnoticed and unappreciated) was, ignore it all, Tomas is ready, we have more serious business like tonight’s game – let’s play hockey.  Unfortunately
    the writer is incapable or reading between the lines.
    Sometimes maturity is required in verbal spats and JM demonstrated it.

9. mike g says:

Travis Moen will flat out destroy Ovechkin tonight with a sick open-ice hit.

Mark it down people. Playoffs are when Travis becomes a beast, ala Shane Doan last night.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

10. Say Ash says:

Leafs signed “The Monster” – 2 years, $1.35 million per season.

11. mike g says:

Exactly..

The only difference in my situation is that I had that series penciled in as a must watch. Apart from the Habs series, DET-PHO was the one I was looking forward to the most. I’ve watched Phoenix play a few times this year, and they are a treat to watch…Like I said above: Detroit knows HOW to win, but Phoenix WANT to win. That’s a big difference…

I have a few bets going with my Red Wings friends, and I’m howling right now! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m really excited to watch the Coyotes play again tomorrow night….(wow, I said it).

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

12. krob1000 says:

I hope both Semin and Ovie play a la Kovalchuk last night…..he strayed far from the gameplan, panicked way too early and started just rushng end to end virtually every time he touched the puck once they went down.  This was the Russians downfall in the Olympics too….too many guys trying to do too much.  Green can be guilty of this too…..my real concern is with Nickals Backstrom who is very responsible in all facets, is a great puck possession guy and has eyes in the back of his head.  I would try and isolate as many of the superstars as I could with a stifling neutral zone and aggressive o-zone game…I am pretty confident that Ovie and Semin will begin making rush after rush on their own….Green too.  The question then becomes..do we stop them? because if we do stop them early and often….they will get frustrated and that is when the blame game starts….

13. Chuck says:

Time to leak the drunken Ovie party pics to the Washington Post before they get Watergated!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

14. bigbighabsfan says:

It’s business. They had first dibs and chose Ottawa vs Pens, no doubt thinking that that series will go longer than the Habs, which is a pretty smart bet. If they had people choosing the series based on their favourite teams then they would be a joke. It’s not like nobody will be watching the Sens games anyway with Crosby involved.

15. AH says:

StevieRay, that is hilarious! LOL. 100% accurate…but I hope your “outcome” is wrong.

16. wotever says:

Go hang out on your own team’s website.  Leave us habs fans alone.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

17. ed lopaz says:

if I was a GM, I would bust down the Calgary door to get Iginla, before they wake up and change their minds.

7 million – he’s worth every penny.

that’s AK + Spacek = same 7 million.

AK + Hamrlik =  8.5 million

should I continue?

18. mike g says:

I really hope Iggy puts his nice guy image aside and asks for a trade..

He deserves so much better, it’s crazy. Way to go Flames fans, criticize a player who currently has 9 straight 30+ goal seasons.

He must be the problem…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

19. SLONCOLD says:

i wasn’t going to watch that game because i really wasn’t interested in it but after watching the first 5 minutes, i couldn’t change the channel. scoring chances, defensive plays, big saves. big hits, fans were goign nuts too.

i really want to see pheonix win. i think they’re a better team than detroit. we just all have this thinking detroit will win due to past success.

20. ed lopaz says:

ok – thanks, you’re right.

21. JD_ says:

In the last 24 hours, we’ve heard the following out of Washington…

Jose Theodore: “Tomas who? Jagr? I thought you meant Jagr.”

There’s no Tomas Jagr playing in the NHL. As for Jaromir Jagr, he’s been playing for the Avangard Omsk of the KHL for the better part of the last two seasons.

Doesn’t Theodore know this? Is he this out of touch with the league’s comings and goings? What’s wrong with him?

Bruce Boudreau: “No, they’re not [playing against Miller or Brodeur]. They’re facing José. I’ll take José’s record the last 23 games (20-0-3) over those two guys.”

Does Boudreau not realize we know who his goaltenders are? Was he taking a jab at Theodore by saying he’d take him over the other two, but only based on the last 23 games?

First, OV intentionally tries to injure Theodore in practice yesterday morning. Theo now looks like he’s melting down, and Boudreau is calling him out and raving like a madman. The Caps’ dressing room is turning into hell on earth. The entire Caps charade is falling apart.

Divide and conquer hockey: It’s time has come.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Playing all season and no real backup makes Kippur a dull goalie.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Storm Man says:

Kipper is always on the blame list in this city.

24. Jordio-oh says:

CBC is covering the world cup this year, so there is still that to salvage.

25. StevieRay says:

Here it is hot of the press !!!

Forwards – Bunch of Smurfs ….,  3rd and fourth line pluggers averaging 5 goals each …

Defence – slow footed D-man .. who lead the league in giveaways…

Goal – Doesn’t matter .. see above !

Coach – Past his prime .. if he ever had a prime !!

Outcome .. not pretty !

26. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

I hope tsn satisfies your NEED
    NHLtorrents (if you can get to it after registering for an account) usually posts the game a day late.
    if tsn fails I suggest you get a PVR
    ———–
    ”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

27. mike g says:

lol….did you watch that game last night though…

Shane Doan looked like he drank 19 Red Bulls before the game.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

28. mike g says:

I want the Habs to have the honour of scoring this years 1st playoff overtime goal tonight….

Gord Miller: “Gomez, skates into the Washington zone…Drops it off to Gionta….Gionta, IN FRONT, scoooooooooooresssss……..Benoit Pouliot wins it in overtime for the Habs!!!!”

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. Jbell10 says:

never go full retard…

love it.

30. Bryan says:

Do we know when the lineup for tonight is going to be finalized?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

31. Jbird says:

He has cracked.  What an odd spontaneous verbal spasm.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

That is beyond all levels of ignorance I had previously heard about in hockey (almost anyway). It’s Iginla’s fault the Flames haven’t given him one centre in the past ten years who could play on his level? Kippur’s not to be blamed for an organization that has refused to sign or develop a backup goalie who could take 20-25 games off his back and let him be rested for the post-season either.

The Flames organization is incompetent is the issue, does the Flames ownership have a few newspaper interests in Calgary? That would explain a few things.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. Olay Olay Olay says:

I live in Calgary, and as unbelievable as it sounds, the papers here are trying to run Iggy out of town. It’s stupidity like this that cause me to believe that the fans here only know what the paper tells them about hockey. I just keep saying “Hey, if you don’t want him, we’ll take him.” same goes for Kipper cause he’s next on the blame list.

34. Bugs says:

Agree top to bottom.

Fear a spanking tonight; forsee victory Saturday, and their world torn apart up here with us afterwards.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

35. mike g says:

BARF…

Trust me, Buffalo’s series vs Boston is going to be boring enough…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

36. Le Jadester says:

I don’t think we’re gonna win tonght after all the upsets last night (As much as I hate Ottawa, Karlsson was sick last night).  In fact, I feel a big spanking coming our way.

Not to worry though………..

With that said…I believe the Cappers will get a false sense of security and wet the bed by the end of the series !

For all this to happen though, we must win Game 2 no matter what.  Then its advantage us, along with a fired up Bell Centre for 3 and 4 !

Habs, OLE !

37. mike g says:

WHAT A GAME

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

38. Laramy87 says:

We are going into this series with the same mentality that Avalanche is going in against the sharks. All the pressure is on the Sharks and the Avs (which no one is giving a chance to) are playing loose and look waht happened last nite.

As Kevin Weekes was saying last nite, Sacco told his players that no one is expecting yuo to win, go out there and play and have fun.

JM should say the same thing, if we have a bunch of loose players going out there as the huge underdogs, anything can happen. Im excited for tonight

39. avatar_58 says:

Imagine if NJ met Buffalo in the playoffs? UGGG

40. Storm Man says:

I just got a text from a friend in Washington, she said there is buzz that Obama maybe at game one. I wonder if he has a case of beer on the line again;)

41. joeybarrie says:

It is a shame how CBC has let these things go. Used to be you could watch World Cup soccer games, and any Canadian Team in the Playoffs from anywhere you could get a signal. Like you said, they no longer have the HNIC song, which is a treasure in of itself. We have seen many step to its decline, but not retaining the song was the first step to it definite decline.

It’s sad because there are so many more ways you can get the games now, but it used to be we could count on CBC to be a reflection of what Canadians want.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. mike g says:

“Simple Jack’s Simple Playoff Thaughts”:

Never Go Full Retard: For those of you who saw the movie Tropic Thunder, you are familiar with Simple Jack. You also know that Robert Downey Jr. told Ben Stiller (Simple Jack), “Never go full retard”. Well last night, that is exactly what Shane Doan did; he went full retard. That guy was on a mission, smashing the Wings like a Mack truck. I found myself cheering like a crazy ‘Yotes fan last night. The game was fast, very fast. The fans were going nuts for the whole 60 minutes. There were more hits in that game than a Michael Jackson greatest hits 2-disc album. Way to go Coyotes, way to go. The difference in that series will be this; The Wings know how to win with all of their experience, but the Coyotes WANT to win…

California Hit By An Avalanche: Say what you want about that phenomenon being impossible, but it happened last night. San Jose lived up to their reputation like professionals, and I’ve never seen the HP Pavillion that quiet in a playoff game. Boos could be heard in the 1st period, as if the fans knew for sure they had seen this episode of “How to throw away 8 months of hard work”. Well, they’ve seen it before; many times. I just can’t immagine how frustrating it must be to be a fan of that team.

Sellout In New Jersey?: No, that didn’t happen. Not even close, that arena had empty seats everywhere. What a disgrace when you consider the Coyotes’ Jobing.com arena was busting by the seams last night. The Devils have one of the most pathetic fan base in the league. But considering their boring/”I’d rather be bowling” style of play, I don’t blame the fans one bit. I tried so hard to watch that game last night (because as you all know I like the Flyers), but I just couldn’t do it. No atmosphere, no emotion, and maybe the most boring playoff game in the history of professional sports.

Anyways, those are my thaughts about last nights games. I have to say that it’s pretty insane that it took a Coyotes game to get me into the mood this year and spark some excitement….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

43. Say Ash says:

Funny thing is, Osgood is probably going to the Hall of Fame.

44. Storm Man says:

He makes 7 mil per

45. Say Ash says:

His boss will be leaving Calgary sooner than he will.

46. HABWARRIOR says:

i neeed to watch the games when i get home from work,or at least i want to!

47. Bugs says:

Boudreau is crackin.

It’s started.

We’re going to win.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

48. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Maybe my isp is blocking it, i just checked and its down
    Edit: it just works i just have to go through “anonymouse.org”
    ———–
    ”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

49. joeybarrie says:

Actually Price’s salary is only 850k the rest is Bonus salary, but he will unlikely hit most of it. ***I think thats the biggest reason why Halak has played so many games this season is so they don’t have to give Price his bonus***   So his new salary will not necessarily have to be 2.5 million, it might be lower and include many of the same bonus opportunities. The cap for bonus’ is seperate from the salary cap.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. avatar_58 says:

Yeah because wins prove the goalie is good right Boudreau? Why don’t we ask Osgood how he’s doing this year?

51. pmaraw says:

this is your best bet, every game on tsn I believe goes to their On Demand, just not right away.

52. Lord_Hubba says:

Boudreau said: “No, they’re not. They’re facing José. I’ll take José’s record the last 23 games (20-0-3) over those two guys.”

Notice how he says “i’ll take Jose’s *record*” instead of straight-up saying “i’ll take jose over those two guys”. what a cheap way of backing up your goaltender. he didn’t truly mean it haha
  53. pmaraw says:

lol i went and agreed, right now its on the 2nd page of comments

54. avatar_58 says:

I think with the olympics being TSN and now the habs……CBC’s writing is on the wall. They just aren’t very relevant anymore for sports.

55. Clay4bc says:

Yes, NHL torrents does work…

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

56. joeybarrie says:

Mara will be gone. I don’t think we will be re-signing him.

As for the others. Darche makes 600K he is the cheap youngsters from the farm. Lapierre is a cap hit of 650K you can’t get much cheaper. Plus he is a RFA next season, and he wont get much of a raise in salary. Moore is the type of 3rd line player we need and his 1.1 million cap hit is worth it. i don’t want to be stuck again with the 3rd and 4th lines that cannot produce. Why bother even having them then, if we have to play a short bench in order to win. Metro is by far the best investment for 1 million. I just don’t know if we will re-sign him, but he is worth his salary too. Remember we will have PK Subban next season on D, and his cap hit will be small too. We absolutely have to keep Pouliot and he wont take much of an increase either since he is a RFA. Sergei i am not so sure about, but at 550k and a RFA he is worth re-signing for sure. But packing his and his brother up for something nice, wouldn’t be a huge loss.

We shoudleasily be able to retain the services of Pleks, Pouliot and some others. We will most likely try to get rid of the high salary of Hamr so we can use that to fill some holes.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

57. avatar_58 says:

Forget how much he makes or who we trade for, but wouldn’t seeing Iginla in the CH be amazing?

All heart all the time. Sure he’s not an elite scorer…but man wouldn’t that be something.

58. Rudy says:

Is there any way of finding out where/when the Habs practice while they are here in DC the next few days, and if they allow public access?

59. Clay4bc says:

I posted this on a CBC link…

Disgraceful that the CBC chose not to show Montreal
    Canadiens games. What a joke this company has become, really. Well, TSN
    has your song, and now it has Canada’a team to go with it.”

taking a beating there with the agree/disagree, but whatever – it is on a sens story.

_________________

60. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

NHL torrents doesn’t work
    ———–
    ”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

61. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

TSN sometimes has games on demand
    you could check the site after the game
    TSN.ca -> Watch more in our video player! -> NHL Games On-Demand

———–
    ”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

62. avatar_58 says:

Going to be a game 7 – length series methinks

63. Morocco says:

Don’t use adthe.net. Use myp2p.eu. Adthe leeches from people actually streaming so they can get ad revenue. And you can download the game from nhltorrents.co.uk ,

64. HABWARRIOR says:

Hey guys I need help.Usually i watch Habs games Online via a free stream like justin.tv or adthe.net …..

However im working and im gonna miss the game….Does anyone know where i can watch the replay of entire game online anywhere?PLEASE HELP!

65. ed lopaz says:

Here are the actual 2009 salaries. Few people know that Price is already at 2.2 mil. Since he’s RFA, there is almost no issue with him. he will re-sign for about a 10 per cent raise at 2.5

Halak is the issue.  Much depends on these playoffs. I would say he is line to make about $3 million next year (500 k more than Price);

Plekanec has really tailed off – he finished at 70 points; Habs will re-sign him now that he is no longer the HUGE star everyone projected him to be.

Pleks should sign for 4 years and 4.75 million per; giving him security and a sizeable 2 mil per season raise.

So we need to find about 300 k + 2.25 mil + 2 mil = 4.5 million more to sign Pleks + 2 goalies

Mara is gone and replaced by Subban =  save 1 mil

we need to find 3.5 million,but according to http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MON

we are 2 million UNDER present cap (Mara savings + current cap situation) = 3 million

we are about 1.5 million short.

there are many different ways to find that 1.5; but clearly there should be no problem signing pleks and the 2 goalies

metro UFA 2009 salary 1 mil

moore UFA 2009 salary 1.1 mil

Darche UFA 2009 salary 600 k

Laps RFA 2009 salary 687.5 k

Mara UFA 2009 salary 1.675

Total (metro, moore, darche, Laps, Mara) = around 5 mil for these 5 players

MAB UFA 2009 salary 750 k

Price RFA 2009 salary 2.2 mil

Halak RFA 2009 salary 775 k

66. SLONCOLD says:

problem is we don’t really have player to replace them… most rookies will come here with 6ook, 800k contracts. you wouldn’t be saving that much money.

pleks will cost 5m on the cap. and you woudl have to think that jaro and price will both command similar salaries(2.5-3m). once again i think it’s pointless to spend 3m on a goalie who will only play half the time.

so if we’re at 46m committed next year and you add the 10 million for pleks and the goalies, you’re right up against the cap and you have yet to replace anyone who leaves…

personally i think the talks with pleks are garbage and he’ll walk. unless we move some other salary it will be tough to keep everyone.

67. SLONCOLD says:

did anyone watch the wings and coyotes game? that must have beent he best game i have seen all season long. fantastic energy.

68. boomer19 says:

A liitle motivational Rap about the habs I found on you tube!  Enjoy

69. daveho29 says:

Maybe not the Canucks. I would love to see a Habs Canucks final, I would be sorely out numbered but enjoy every minute.

70. Caballero says:

If these games are anything like the one on February 10th which I witnessed at the Bell centre, we are in for a treat. We were able to beat the Caps in OT with the Bulldogs de Montreal that night. The Caps have not faced Halak so I hope he can wear them down.

71. 100HABS says:

“but the NHL expects the salary cap to remain the same next season.”

Gotta keep Pouliot and Sergei too.So we’re talking about $15M for these 5 guys.
  72. arrow says:

Lots of HABS support here in Ottawa, saw lots of Canadiens car flags. Although, SENS fans will be celebrating today! and we will be celebrating tomorrow!

GO HABS GO!

73. C-Dawg says:

Would love to see upsets in all the first round series….send Ovie, Crosby, Thorton, the Wings, Sabres, ‘nucks and Chi-town packing for early tee times…would make for a wide open playoffs.