Round 1, Game 1: Canadiens stun Capitals

Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec reacts after scoring the winning goal on Thursday night. Greg Fiume/Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Jaro Spacek | Tomas Plekanec | Jaro Halak

• At a Glance: José Theodore, meet Tomas Plekanec. The Canadiens centre scored the winning goal in overtime for a 3-2 win over the Washington Capitals in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference playoff series. Despite being outplayed in the first period, the game was tied 1-1. Michael Cammalleri finally broke out of his scoring slump with a power-play goal 12:36 into the first period on a nice pass from Andrei Markov, one of only seven Montreal shots on Theodore in the first period. The Capitals tied it 1-1 a few minutes later when a Joe Corvo shot hit the handle of Jaroslav Halak’s stick and deflected into the net. Halak faced 19 shots in the first period alone, and 47 in the entire game. After a scoreless second period, the Capitals wasted little time taking the lead in the third period. Only 47 seconds into the frame, and less than 30 seconds after the end of a Montreal power play, Nicklas Backstrom scored a great goal a nice no-look pass from Mike Knuble. But Scott Gomez got that one back about seven minutes later on a nice three-way passing play between Benoit Pouliot, Brian Gionta and Gomez.

• What It Means:
  The Canadiens lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.

• What’s Next:
Game 2 of the series goes on Saturday night in Washington. Games 3 and 4 are next Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

1. StevieRay says:

Sorry jb    B  …. P …better now >>>

2. StevieRay says:

I hope I’m wrong on that also !! Cheers ….

3. punkster says:

Ignoring most of the crap presented here as “fact”. (Actually it’s the crap that makes this place fun to visit. The children love to mess the sandbox :)

4. Off-side says:

I feel the same way.

5. Off-side says:

What’s the second?

6. sillywalk says:

Caps VS Habs this season… 2-1-1.  They also took 5 points out of 8. I guess it was really out of 10.

7. christophor says:

this comment made my day.

8. Chuck says:

HI/O isn’t really a “blog” or “forum”… it’s more of a support group.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

9. Jbell10 says:

I hope Pierre gets a puck in the cheek one of these days.

10. punkster says:

Party pics…best method of creating dissention in the room.

11. punkster says:

For pity’s sake someone please ensure Charest doesn’t show up at the Phone Booth next week!

12. punkster says:

No hiding allowed. Take your medicine like a man (or woman as the case may be). Admitting you have erred is the first step.

13. avatar_58 says:

Don’t tell anyone but I secretely hope NJ and Buffalo are round 1 drop-outs

14. Storm Man says:

Time for you to get Smurf-Happy

15. avatar_58 says:

Don’t be silly –

a gomez, a geee-ont-A – le tir ET LE BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

16. avatar_58 says:

Thanks Toronto! Helps us keep ours in check money wise

17. Storm Man says:

Bad agent Dallas would have paid more

18. mike g says:

Travis will go full retard tonight….

And Pierre McGuire will make reference to his Saskatchewan roots, and name every single school he went to. Don’t be surprised if Pierre also will have had lunch with him today too…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

19. Mrhab24 says:

Never go full retard!!!

20. Storm Man says:

I have it as Ovie hurts one of the Habs with a sick open-ice hit

21. Say Ash says:

Full retard?

22. Off-side says:

that’s what i get for not reading the last paragraph…now i’ll go hide under a rock.

23. krob1000 says:

Rumour has it that Obama will be there to try and quell the dissention in the Caps room……fools…..once politics enter the room….the camel’s back will be broken! We got em where we want em!

24. Off-side says:

oh. sorry.

25. lenny says:

The Caps will play like the Rusians at the Olympics….

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Rumour has it that Don Lever (formerly of the Bulldogs) may take over the bench of the Atlanta Thrashers following the firing of John Anderson after a season with the team’s affiliate the AHL Chicago Wolves that went 49-24-1-6.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. joeybarrie says:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how it works for bonus for someone who isnt a RFA. I think you are correct in the fact we will need to sign both for around 2-3 million.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

28. krob1000 says:

yup…”Habs innate” ability to defend and ward off evil Stanley Cup contender-mongers will show itself tonight….by tomorrow scienitists who have been baffled all season by their inability to accurately desrcibe “the system” will still be at a loss to describe what they saw…but the series will be 1-0 Habs!

29. joeybarrie says:

If my favorite player of all time was Beliveau, which is in my top 5. I would make sure to spell it correctly and capitalize the B in my profile. Now if i was a Leafs fan, I would not… Mostly because i would have no taste or class, but then again it TO it doesnt matter… You criticize for any reason i guess…

Habs VS Caps this season… 2-1-1.  We took 5 points out of 8. Most of the time we were injured.

We may not win, but we can compete…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. Chuck says:

Ummm, I think you missed the tone of JD_’s response.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

31. JD_ says:

You’re assuming, of course, that GM George McPhee can somehow keep this house of cards together for an entire week. All I’m seeing is a maelstrom of dissent engulfing the Caps dressing room, with players at each other’s throats and a coach who has clearly collapsed under the pressure and fallen off the edge.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the league intervene in the Caps’ affairs in the coming days, in particular after Chuck’s Polaroids(TM) find their way into the media’s grubby fingers.

32. JD_ says:

Bang on.

Systemless hockey is predicated on individual performances. Keep ‘em at bay and try to pop the first couple and they’ll really all try to do it themselves.

The only way that’s going to happen is if the Habs stifle them and the only way the Habs stifle them is a full-out, second-effort game from the get-go. The Habs have shown they are capable of it this season. Unfortunately, they’ve also demonstrated they can deliver 40-60 minutes at the other, very wrong end of the spectrum.

The tone will likely be set in the first period. Hope the right team shows up.

33. cautiousoptimist says:

Gives me hope for our own goalie re-signings.  Price’s numbers aren’t much different than Gustavsson’s, and he doesn’t play on nearly as lousy a team.  No, that’s not a criticism of anyone…  I’m just saying maybe we can sign him for $2M instead of $3M — the extra money would go a long way toward relieving our cap situation next year.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  34. punkster says:

Look, this Caps team has a player named Chimera.  And another named Fleicshmann. Doesn’t that tell you something about them? A fantasy and a fake butter. That team is an illusion. Their true form will reveal itself over the coming week. Go Habs!

35. joeybarrie says:

Red light Racicot would have a 23-0 record with the Caps over the last 23 games… In fact, I bet I would have at least a 22-1 record myself, and I have NEVER played in goals before.

If we can solve the Caps offense the series is ours. If not, it doesn’t matter if Theo site on the bench while the rest of his team plays without a goalie…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

36. Off-side says: