Rookie Gallagher looking forward to facing Bruins, Chara

The Canadiens’ Brendan Gallagher is listed as 5-foot-9 and 178 pounds.

Boston Bruins veteran defenceman Zdeno Chara is 6-foot-9 and 255 pounds.

But the Canadiens rookie says he won’t back down from Chara and the big, bad Bruins when they meet Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

“When I learned that I made the team, I was looking forward to playing the Bruins,” Gallagher said after practice Tuesday in Brossard.

“It’s gonna be cool,” Gallagher added. “He’s one of the best D-men in the league. I’ve played against big boys, but never quite that big. I enjoy playing against bigger guys and I’m going to play my game. I won’t be fighting him, but other than that I’m going to be going after him. I’m going to treat him like any other D-man. I’m going to finish my check regardless of how big he is.”

Gallagher ranks second on the Canadiens with 19 hits, but hasn’t picked up a single penalty.

“I can’t remember the last time I went seven games without a penalty,” Gallagher said with a grin.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Rookie awaits taste of Bruins rivalry, by Pat Hickey

A chip off the old Bourque for Bruins, by Stu Cowan

Canadiens team notebook

Bruins team practice update

ESPN.com Bruins report

1. junyab says:

I was stoked for the game tonite…until I read Gallagher’s quote. Eek. Here comes broken neck #2.

Is Thornton still out? Hope not – would love to see Prust smack him around a bit.

Hopefully Rask’s numbers vs Les Canadiens continue – he’s been rubbish.

Praying for Subby-do to completely de-rail Marchand again – Kaboom!

2. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! HaHa! I won $100 on the Superbowl Squares at the Saloon!The look on the Evil Barkeeps face when he handed me the dough was priceless.He hates me! Jeeze ,I love tormenting that Bast#rd! (He’s a Leafs fan).Go Habs Go!!!

3. Phil C says:

One of the things I like about Gionta is that even though he is not afraid to go to the dirty areas of the ice, he is also smart enough to rarely leave himself in a vulnerable position. He also has such good quickness and awareness on the ice that he is tough to hit.

I admire Gallagher’s willingness to engage players like Chara, but I hope he has enough sense not to leave himself vulnerable. If he can play like Gionta, he is exactly the type of player that gives Chara fits.

• B says:

Gallagher will go to the net, Chara will knock him down, Gallagher will get up and go to he net, Chara will knock him down, Gallagher will get up and go to the net…

–Go Habs Go!–

4. La Duke 16 says:

I have heard nothing about LeBlanc. How is he doing and when will he crack the big club again?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Word is he’s taken a bit of a step back in his development this year, but that could largely be due to the high ankle sprain he suffered early on. But I’m not sure he’ll be up with the big club this year unless something really unexpected happens. I think Dumont will be the first call up if it comes to that.

• Ali says:

He also had a shoulder injury I think, and Bergevin was saying it’s one of those where it’s worse for him that it didn’t require surgery because it heals slower the way he did it. I think this year is a write-off for him, let him get healthy, come back next year and earn a spot.

Can someone send me the link for 690 radio please. ???
    Is that the station that talks Hab’s???