Rookie Gallagher looking forward to facing Bruins, Chara

The Canadiens’ Brendan Gallagher is listed as 5-foot-9 and 178 pounds.

Boston Bruins veteran defenceman Zdeno Chara is 6-foot-9 and 255 pounds.

But the Canadiens rookie says he won’t back down from Chara and the big, bad Bruins when they meet Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

“When I learned that I made the team, I was looking forward to playing the Bruins,” Gallagher said after practice Tuesday in Brossard.

“It’s gonna be cool,” Gallagher added. “He’s one of the best D-men in the league. I’ve played against big boys, but never quite that big. I enjoy playing against bigger guys and I’m going to play my game. I won’t be fighting him, but other than that I’m going to be going after him. I’m going to treat him like any other D-man. I’m going to finish my check regardless of how big he is.”

Gallagher ranks second on the Canadiens with 19 hits, but hasn’t picked up a single penalty.

“I can’t remember the last time I went seven games without a penalty,” Gallagher said with a grin.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Rookie awaits taste of Bruins rivalry, by Pat Hickey

A chip off the old Bourque for Bruins, by Stu Cowan

Canadiens team notebook

Bruins team practice update

ESPN.com Bruins report

1. B says:

Sebastian Collberg signs a new contract with Frolunda. No details yet.

–Go Habs Go!–

As the Hab’s rise in the standings each year, our 1st and 2nd draft picks are the only way we are going to be able to stay on top.

Building long range view through the draft is the only way to be successful. Keep all your 1st and 2nd round picks and develop them.

• krob1000 says:

We have 3 second rounders…and just came off a draft where we may as well have had 4 second orunders witht he picks that were availalbe. We also had a 5th pick turn out to be the equivalent of a 2nd in Gallagher. The team is looking pretty good moving forward…another 1st and 2 nd’s would still be a good haul. IF the plan is to build long term then set free Gionta, Cole, Markov,etc
      Ian and all …I will make a frienldy bet with you all that if the team is in a playoff spot they trade one of those picks….heck it may even happen earlier as a throw in to entice a bigger deal i they are in fact considering Eller on the block.
      If the team is not palyoff contention then kep the pick and in fact move guys for more picks…but I just cannot see any possible way that MB keeps those picks if the team is going to the playoffs…it just does not make sense from an organziational perspective…one more round is worth millions,is invaluable experience, makes the team more desirable for free agents,etc….for a 2nd round pick? I don’t get the fuss really and I will be absolutley floored if they don’t make a move like that if in that position.

• Ian Cobb says:

We will see my friend. It is a new day for quality hockey in town again.

• HardHabits says:

The objective is building assets not losing them. The days of trading away 1st and 2nd round picks like they have no value should be behind us. Maximize assets not squander them. That means if picks or prospects are to be moved, ensure that they are exchanged for other up and coming prospects or younger established players that fit into a current plan. The last thing that should be done is to move a blue chip prospect for an aging and tired over paid veteran a la McDonagh for Gomez.

Very few long term excessive contracts are working in favour of the teams that signed them. Even the Rangers with all their organizational depth are a one line team, albeit a pretty impressive and big line. I prefer scoring by committee the way the Habs are doing it. In fact regardless of the play-off implications, it is always better to trade older players for younger ones.

• Ian Cobb says:

HH–Millions of dollars are spent each year for Timmonds scouting dept. to get the best players possible for the franchise.

This investment has been squandered over the past years, but not anymore. We pick the best and develop them on the farm from the bottom to the top.

• krob1000 says:

I have a far bigger issue witht the teams squandering of pro ready and veteran players and giving up on guys too soon then I do draft picks when we have a surplus and are coming off teams best draft ever adn are ranked in top 1/4 of teams for future prospects. The casting aside players having an off year or being misused. People on here act as though Eller is expendable….yet teh likelihood of any of those 3 2nd picks even turning out as good as Eller is low. The odds of one of them turning out better are extremely slim.
          Whenver the team is ready to contend they will need older players…the only teams taht were led by young guys all had years of tanking )not our version of tanking…serious tanking and perrenial number 1 talent)…Pitt and Chi…every other cup winner is laden with vets as top contribuors awhile being supported by a strong contribution from the youth.

• Habfan17 says:

I would disagree with LA Loyalist. Eller has been asked to change positiins and has had multiple linemates. He has not been allowed to play his natural position with at least one constant linemate. Once the team gives him that opportunity for a prolonged period of at least 15 games, then I don’t believe you can evaluate him properly. If one of the leagues stars had been moved to a postion they are not comfortable with, say Kane and he was only half as effective as he is, would you say trade him?

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

I doubt that Bergevin built up the scouting and player development departments to trade away the picks that could possibly be there future!

Habfan17

• Ozmodiar says:

A team building through the draft won’t see the 3 picks as a surplus.

They’ll see it as an opportunity to draft another player like Collberg, Subban, etc… or to trade up to grab a player they want.

• Habfan17 says:

I will take you up on the bet! With the way the vets who were injured last year are playing and the young players playing now, and on the horizon, not to mention the cap , I doubt that Bergevin will move any picks unless they are 3rd round or later. This is supposed to be a very deep draft and I can’t believe Bergevin wears rose coloured glasses. We will see and it will be fun!

Habfan17

3. RC-51 says:

What’s up with Weber? Kid can shoot the puck, but isn’t that big/strong and defensively needs more experience but hardly ever is in the lineup!

4. Haberoooo13 says:

Bruins fan on 690 right now…

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

5. frontenac1 says:

Many times,a game that is being hyped as a slugfest turns out to be the exact opposite.But with the Habs/Bruins ,ya never know.I got a feeling tonight is going to be all about Price/Rask.Saludos!

6. Haberoooo13 says:

Has it been announced yet about White or Eller? Apologies if I missed it.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

7. remi_10069 says:

It’s not a street fight where you keep punching until the guy is out to ensure the fight ends / you don’t get killed. Rinaldo is a turd, i understand 1 extra shot that could happen because of momentum but 2? You actually try to hurt the guy and someone is going to do the same to you. If I were the coach of another team, I would send a brusier out to take his f’n head off with a chelios style elbow when he’s not looking, watch him crumple to the ice…he might get the message then, so will others.

pipes

8. krob1000 says:

Ian, 24 and Loonie…can’t respond below anymore..stupid comment limit.
    If the Habs are in a playoff spot it is absolutley worth trading a second rounder for a rental. The team has a 1st and 3 second rounders next year. The team is coming off a fantastic draft, Kristo is poised for pro hockey next year, etc.
    There is no way that if the team continues to have success that they do not try to bolster the lineup….if the team is in a playoff position there is just no way MB does not trade away one of those picks…nor should he hold onto all of them.
    The cupboards are pretty stocked actually and a 1st and 2 2nd rounders is still a fantastic position to be in…especially with Timmins.
    You look at the building blocks the Habs have and they are very good actually,
    Up Front Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Plekanec, Eller, Dd, Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc … that is a very good forward corps to build around long term(not including any free agents) ..add in some vets and there is plenty of talent there….factor in another draft with more picks than normal…up front looks good
    On D Subban, Gorges, Tinordi , Diaz….Markov or a vet if around….Deitz, Thrower,Weber,etc…. the D is looking pretty good too
    Therea re also the borderline guys like Holland, Bozon, Hudon,etc and MAcmillan,etc…the HAbs have done a very good restocking in the last couple of years and when healthy are a playoff team IMO…and any playoff team with cupboards that full and 3 picks in the second round would be crazy to not try to bolster the lineup

• Propwash says:

It all depends on what will be on the market as well.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Loonie says:

The cupboard is never too stocked though.

If I’m in Bergevin’s shoes I don’t think I trade anything more than a third round pick for help along the way. Let the chips fall.

• Cardiac says:

Exactly! The Dogs haven’t looked that impressive. Tinordi and Bealieu are will positioned to make the team in the next 1-3 years. Colberg the same. Which means, we will be stuck with a bunch of career AHLers.

– Jerry Maguire

• remi_10069 says:

I would like a big tough D who can skate. Ottawa made a nice move with Methot…What’s the problem with Commodore? Too old? Too slow? Too much red hair?

pipes

• krob1000 says:

Then if I am the vets though I say trade me…not making a deal is a vote of non confidence in them…and acknowledging you are not trying to win now…that means these guys who are near the end of their careers deserve a better fate. I believe any team that earns their way to the playoffs has earned the right for their team to try to help them come playoff time.

• H.Upmann says:

he pobably wont play this year, but i would sign Dominic Moore who was great for us last time

• Habfan10912 says:

I hear you Krob but I sit on the other side of the fence. I would try to get myself another #1 pick and continue the rebuild. I guess I am not sold that this team is a legitimate cup contender. Playoff team? Yep. But patience might be the best avenue at this point.

———————————–

• krob1000 says:

IF that is the case then trade Cole, Gionta, Markov and Kaberle and Boruque…but if you have those guys to go along with the young stars…you have to take a shot with that extra pick…if the team falls off…then rebuild for sure..but if a playoff appearnace is in the works I just do not see any way possible the team does not move a 2nd rounder for a run. Also remember that a playoff run benefits the young stars going forward and one could argue that experience alone could be worth a second pick.

• Haberoooo13 says:

If the Habs are healthy and in contention, they make that trade for toughness that has skill.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• 24 Cups says:

Rob – I believe you should only trade an asset for a rental when you’re in a spot to realistically win the Cup. Montreal is still in the rebuilding mode.

Right now, I figure the four best teams in a position to win the Cup would be Chicago, LA, Boston and Pittsburgh. Then there are another four teams who might be in the next grouping (I know there are exceptions to the rule like Carolina and Tampa). They can all trade off a pick for rentals but I’m not giving up a 2nd rounder just so the team might win a playoff round. Just look back at our history of the past ten years.

Same goes for a major injury. If that happens, I say we stick with what we have. No use trading off 2nd rounders on a yearly basis.

• krob1000 says:

We have 3 second rounders though….this isn’t like when we would trade our only pick. Makin it to the second round is absolutely worth the pick…..both financially and from an experience perspective

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just because we have three doesn’t mean we should see them as expendable. The extra two picks came at the cost of Andrei Kostitsyn and Mike Cammalleri. They’re precious, let’s hold on to them and see if we can come up with a P.K. Subban or Claude Lemieux with those.

We’re debating two sides of an issue, neither of us is wrong, I get your point that the team appreciates it when management gets reinforcements at the deadline, but those last-minute deals rarely turn out for the ‘buying’ team. I vote we hoard picks and prospects for at least another couple seasons.

• Ian Cobb says:

Yes Steve! Our 1st and second round picks in future years are going to be to valuable as we pick first at 20th to 30th as we rise to the top of the standings each year.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

My recollection of our history at the trade deadline is standing pat while other teams make a deal for a run at the cup. Where has that gotten us? Krob is making a good point.

• Phil C says:

Tanguay for a first, Moore for a second, Wizniewski for a second comes to mind. But KRob makes a good point that giving up 1 out of 3 2nd rounders is not as bad as giving up your only pick.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Moore was a good piece on an exciting run that fell short.
            The Wiz filled a big hole when Markov was out.
            The Tanguay deal, wow, I’d forgotten. Who did the first rounder turn out to be? Ouch!

• Phil C says:

I think a rental makes sense if you really believe the team is one piece away from winning the Cup, so the GM must really evaluate the team honestly.

But if the team would still be a longshot even with an addition, I would rather stand pat and keep the picks. This assessment has nothing to do with where you finish in the standings. A first place team can have zero chance due to injuries, while an 8th place team can have as good a chance as any if they put it all together at the right time.

• Ozmodiar says:

Even if the cupboards were full, we could use that 2nd rd pick to move up in the draft.

In any event, the cupboards aren’t full. Future top 6 players include Patches, AGally, BGally and Collberg.

Does management see DD or Eller as a long-term solution in the top 6? Who knows.

Kristo, Leblanc, Bozon, Hudon – not a lock for the top 6.

• krob1000 says:

Let’s look at the current top six….Dd came out of nowhere, Cole was a free agent, sow as Gionta, Bourque was traded for and PLeks was a “not projected to be top six guy” who overachieved.
        If you think we have 4 homegrown top 6 guys then that is a fantastic postion to be in….free agency still exists too

• Ian Cobb says:

We got rid of one boarder line players yesterday on wavers and I have no problem in getting rid of more border line players. 3 for 1 or something. But as we proceed to the top of the heap each year, our 1st. and 2nd draft picks become very valuable because we get border line players at 3rd and 4th round picks.

• 24 Cups says:

Rob I have to run so I’m going to make this quick.

The team has many young prospects in their system but the only ones who really are on the rader right now would be Collberg, Leblanc, Beaulieu and Tinordi. Kristo may turn UFA, Bozon and Hudon show promise. Every other guy is a long shot.

Calgary’s pick could be around the top 35 while Nashville is still a big maybe to be a playoff team. The Habs could realistically have 3 picks in the top 40.

• HardHabits says:

I disagree. They should trade Kaberle for picks if they can. If they make the play-offs let them learn as a unit together and as a team. I would only condone trading picks and/or prospects if the return was another young player(s) and that player(s) fit into a long term plan. Otherwise steady as she goes.

9. Loonie says:

About that great goaltending tandem in St. Louis.

.879 save percentage for Elliot and Halak.

.888 for Halak

..873 for Elliot

10. Morenz7 says:

Like 25insight, I’m a bit disappointed in 24CH. Whether the Habs initiated the project or not, I don’t think it was naive to hope for unvarnished reality given the success of HBO’s splendid 24-7. This has more in common with the “Oil Change” series Sportsnet did with Edmonton—and it’s not even that good.

MT and MB spouting the same talking points they do during their pressers—and players knocking off post-practice clichés—is not a behind-the-scenes look at the team.

Hope the “Return of PK” episode ups the drama. But I’m not holding my breath.

This shortened season may prove to be the downfall of many GM’s. Seems to me the playing field is almost levelled out with the lack of training camp and with a shorter season is harder for elite or better teams to seperate themselves from the pack.

Case in point, the Maple Leafs. Most of my Leaf buddies think their team sucks this year (I don’t disagree), yet a peek at the standings and they are completely in the thick of it still. I still think Luongo ends up in Toronto…. just seems to make sense.

But many GM’s may roll the dice and try win the cup in the short season and hope lady luck is on their side.

12. Whoa ya’ll! I’m reading all of these love-fest comments about MT and all I can say is 8 games does not a shortened season make! It’s nice to win, sure, but we saw some signs of last year in the 5-1 loss to Ottawa and an anemic start with Toronto. Let’s just be happy we have a coach that interacts with the team instead of scribbling hyperbole on a pad and a GM in Bergevin who seems to give a damn about the reputation. Other than that, I’ll be satisfied if the team comes in 9-10 with goals scored, forechecking, limited injuries and a better full season outlook for 2013-14. Tonight will be another test and if we can keep the gadfly Marchand from buzzing, Chara tied up with speed as he’s like Frankenstein’s monster on the ice with his lack of speed, Seguin tied up in the corners among other efforts, we should do just fine and MT won’t be run out of town… I won’t be reserving my spot on St. Catherine’s street for the parade just yet!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

13. Propwash says:

The Habs are capable of beating the Bruins. They’ve done it last season with more or less the same team.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Foot speed, quick puck movement and discipline, should get us 2 points tonight, and keep our lineup healthy for this short season.

Don’t get caught up into their game plan of trying to slow the game down with their goon antics.
    But yes Therrien must protect the kids from injury. Mostly with speed.

I am in no way feeling cocky about the game, but have a complete different feel of the team this year going into a game against the Bruins.

Would be great if we start putting the hex back on that squad and their fans, so they are the ones just hoping they can beat the Habs and not expecting it.

Question: If the Habs end the year with a record near .500 (stupid OT and Shootout really convalutes what .500 is anymore) is this considered a success for MT?

I have to admit, I had no expectations going in this year as it related to wins. I just wanted to see a different team on the ice, a better style, better substance and most of all a return to form for players like Markov, Gionta and Bourque. I wonder if this hot start is potentially damaging for MT. Raised expectations are beginning to pop up!

• Loonie says:

I think it will become a difficult navigation for Bergevin more than Therrien.

If the team continues to succeed under the leadership of Therrien Bergevin may feel some pressure to add something to the lineup for a playoff run.

If it goes into a slump that brings them back to the middle of the pack or the bubble the good start may force him to think twice about trading some veteran players in an effort to build more for the future.

Therrien and the players may have put him in a tough spot, but I’m sure he doesn’t mind.

• 24 Cups says:

If Bergevin trades away assets at the deadline in a delusional attempt at a phantom Cup run then you will know that he has learned nothing about the Habs past twenty years.

The game plan is simple. The team is set for the year. Let the chips fall where they may. The only thing that might have to be dealt with is a full, healthy roster that exceeds 23 players. I doubt that will occur. If it does, then I think it’s quite apparent that Weber is never going to be a Hab.

• Loonie says:

I agree Steve. I just think it would be short sighted of us fans to assume every forward will continue to play well without going through a significant slump at some point.

Whether or not Bergevin has the patience to stand pat and not make a reactionary move will be telling.

I don’t assume he’ll make that kind of move.

• krob1000 says:

If the team is comfortably in a playoff spot I would defnitely trade one of the 3 second rounders for a playoff addition.

• Ian Cobb says:

No trading for the short term krob, We will get there through our kids as they develop. We have a great bunch in Hamilton to bring along as the older players retire.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ian Cobb says:

Gerald! I am trying to book Summit tickets for us. For the cup finals in Montreal next year! This new program is a great feel better about where we are headed my friend.

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
      I was just thinking the same thing earlier this morning.

Therrien’s hot start may come back to bite him in the ass now that they see what the team is capable of.

Mind you, I’m feeling confident about our game tonight. Not that we’re going to win, neccessarily, (I never think that against any team!) but that we’re going to give them a hard time and put them on the ropes.

Not sure who on the team said it, but the Habs’ finish last year was not a reflection of the players on the team. Injuries and poor coaching strategy (or total lack thereof) killed us. Now that we’re not hampered with either of those millstones, we can take anybody to the wall.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

This is a very nice “problem” to have. MB & Company won’t go shopping if the club is successful. This doesn’t mean they won’t trade if the right deal comes along. I don’t see the Habs as buyers, even if they have a great run to the playoffs.

• Phil C says:

I was like you, just hoping for an improved style of play and that has been the case so far, so I should be happy, right?

But I am starting to have higher expectations for this group. The reality, though, is that 3 of their 6 wins have been against the 3 worst teams so far, so I think it remains to be seen if this team can compete with the best teams in the East. At least that is what I tell myself.

• Loonie says:

And minimal road games to evaluate.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Yes, but how many games did we win last year against those same teams, and how many 4+ goal games did we have (4 goals for us)?

I don’t think they are going to maintain this pace, but they are a much better team this year, at least right now. Injuries and slumps could change all that.

With regards to buyers at the deadline, I see them more as sellers. As in, selling off the parts they don’t need. Weber, Kaberle, etc. If there is something to be had for these guys, they will make the trade. It might just be 4th, 5th round picks they get back.

I don’t see them getting any last minute impact players.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’ll take 50 years of their futility before I feel good again about putting a hex on the Bruins. We used to have that power, but then we let them beat us in the playoffs, and two years ago let them slip on an OT goal in Game 7, to allow them to cheat and thug their way to a League office-aided Starley Cup Champianship. We can’t wash away that sin.

Same with the Ravens. We let that damned franchise, stolen from the good people of Cleveland, by the simpering fans of Baltimore who cried foul when that had been done to them, win a Super Bowl for Ray Lewis the year after he murdered Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. And again this year, they were let off the hook by the Chargers on a 4th and 29 play which eventually led to a win and playoff berth, and resuscitated by an aberrant coverage scheme by the Broncos late in the Divisional Championship weekend. We can’t undo that.

16. Loonie says:

Watching TSN and seeing the commentary and reports about Roberto Luongo makes me laugh.

The majority seem to have the opinion that his contract is awful because of the cap hit and that it runs through 2022.

Luongo turns 34 in April. I think it’s reasonable to assume he has at least three years of high quality play left.

Teams like Toronto, San Jose, Colorado, Edmonton, Columbus, Washington, Florida, Winnipeg, Tampa Bay and Philadelphia could all use him for different reasons.

His cap hit is 5.33 million. Even if Gillis isn’t willing to eat any of that salary or cap hit I don’t understand how his contract is a problem.

Do people really assume the guy’s gonna play until he’s 45?

I suppose the possibility for him playing into his fourties is there, but I don’t blame Gillis one bit for standing firm in the face of The Toronto Sports Network telling him his asking price needs to come down.

• Ali says:

Did you follow the CBA details at all? The penalties for him retiring early are considerable.

• Loonie says:

I didn’t realize there was a penalty for him retiring early no.

They changed the 35+ contract rule?

I thought the team was only penalized if the contract was signed after that age.

• Ali says:

Well they added a rule that says any contract like Luongo’s, the team that signed him to the contract will incur a cap hit of any benefit they received spread out over the years left on the contract due to early retirement, so basically in Luongo’s case, the Canucks will get a cap hit of whatever the savings were on salary versus cap for each year he does not play of his contract.

• Ali says:

I think the most extreme case was with the Shea Weber deal, where if was to be traded after 6 years and he retired with one year left on his deal the cap hit for the Preds will be 32 million dollars.

17. Duke_Rauol says:

Habs and Bruins cant wait! Had to take the day off, you just cant pvr these games! Plus the fact that its -43 with the wind makes for a good inside day!

——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

Kaberle is a lot better on the 2nd unit power play than Dias as he led the team in PP points last year. But on a regular 5 on 5 basis he is much to soft.
    One other thing is I would have PK on the penalty kill, a position Therrien has not witnessed in his game as yet. PK is dead sure at getting the puck out of our end and is the most tenacious, and physical on the puck in our end.

Below link, you can scroll down and see pictures and stuff from all our Summit’s over the years.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they may be trying to develop Diaz as Kabrele isn’t in the long term plans. that may be why they are trying to see what he can do.

You are bang on about PK on the PK

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan17 says:

I have to agree with Commandant; Kaberle is too soft and a lefty. Markov would be wasted, spending his time covering up for Kaberle.
      I do think you have a point with regards to the power play. As well as Diaz is doing, put Kaberle out on the 2nd unit and keep him as the 7th defenceman to play on the 3rd pairing with Boullion and use PK on the penalty kill more. After a penalty kill, Therrien could put Kaberle on to spell Subban. On back to back nights, maybe take out Diaz to rest him and use Kaberle. Who knows a team looking for playoff and power play depth may just take him for a 7th round pick!

Habfan17

• habstrinifan says:

I am sure he has been used already by Therrien on the PK. Remember P.K was out some 10 to 12 mins from last game and essentially ‘cold’ when he did return.

19. 25insight says:

anyone else thing 24CH is just RDS trying to overcompensate for the money lost during the lockout?

20. habstrinifan says:

Love that Gallagher!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna be a Gionta/McPhee type skill level with a Mario /Riseborough type grit. We havent had one like him for a while.

I think he will score some really big golas especially ‘on the road’ for this team.

Amazing addition.

• Luke says:

Yah, we haven’t seen a player like him in a while… not since Brian Gionta.

;-)

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry I think he has more checking line grit/technique than Gionta.. I compare him to Tremblay. Of course remember he is a rookie so I am NOT equating him to Gionta at this time.

• Luke says:

Yah, I was just goofing around a bit…

I find their play is very similar though. Both are unafraid of the opposition regardless of who it is (I love that Gionta has and will engage Chara), both have a nose for the net and will go there with the puck or to wait for the puck. Both have motors that don’t stop.

Perfect situation for Gallagher to have Gionta there to watch. I just see Gionta Jr when I watch Gallagher. Love it.

• Habfan17 says:

I think Gallagher is more skill than Gionta in the offensive sense! I think his hocket sense is also a level higher than Gionta’s. and that is not a knock on Gionta!

Habfan17

• Luke says:

Let’s let Gallagher get to game #10, before we say he has better offensive sense than Gionta…

I really like what Gallagher has shown so far, but the problem with Habs fans (and any teams fans) is we fall in love with our own. Especially the one’s that are unknown or new. You’ve watched Gionta for a few years now, are accustomed, and more numb, to what he brings and notice flaws more than you did in the past… Gallagher’s new. You LOVE what he does well, and can overlook his rookie mistakes.

It’s the same mindset that sees us lament the loss of the Aaron Palushaj’s and Brendan Nash’s, while calling for the buyouts of Rene Bourque & trades of Raph Diaz.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

You’d be hard pressed to find anyone here lamenting the loss of Palushaj. He didn’t show much when he was up. Nash on the other hand was a hard luck story with his season ending injury. He probably lost his window to make the NHL. Tough break. I think he could have/may still have a career has a 5/6 dman somewhere. Wish him luck.

21. D Man says:

…or Ferguson and Eric Nesterenko. Ouch!

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Clay says:

It will be contagious if the Habs keep winning.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Ian Cobb says:

There are many more people that have a crush on JT.

• habstrinifan says:

I am developing one myself (excluding the non direct coaching stuff I have written about).

Some quotes by players in the links provided by HABfan10912 totally sold me.

P.K in his interview went on and on about the team forechecking more in comparison to last year…. it is a really good snippet about the change in game being played by the team.

Price in another clip (on the bus) unprompted saying without any type of intepreation whatsover.. just matter of factly… “there is real leadership now”.

Those clips show that Therrien (and Bergevin) are really doing new and professional stuff with the team… and they also show the untold story of the weakness of the situation last year.

As I posted.. Hail Therrien!

22. Clay says:

I really think that Kaberle should be getting a regular shift, and top minutes at that. Before you call me crazy, hear (read) me out;
    I would pair him with Markov. Markov made Mike Komisarek look so good that he was offered a huge contract as a UFA (by an admittedly foolish GM, but still…). I think Markov could do the same for Kaberle (who IMO has more talent than Komisarek), and perhaps a team that is weak on D might decide to take him in a trade.
    As it is, we are wasting 4 million in cap space with him in the stands.

__________________________

I think perhaps against certain opponents this will or may occur. I just don’t think that experiment happens against Boston, Philly and other physically imposing teams.

• commandant says:

I think when we talk about Komisarek we are talking about a guy who is big and physical. Kaberle isn’t physical, so a pairing with Markov wouldn’t really work.

Plus both are natural left D, who haven’t played much on the right side.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Clay says:

Missing the point there Ben. I want him utilized to make him look effective. This can be done, and Markov can do it. There are other options for sure, but something should be considered.
          Although I agree with Gerald – not against the Bruins. But in most other games, he needs to be showcased in positions where he will look his best.

__________________________

• Lafleurguy says:

He should also wear a turtleneck.

“May you live in interesting times.”

P.S. an early “Gung hay fat choy,” and Happy Year of the Snake.

• Clay says:

That goes without saying :)
        Addendum to your PS:
        And happy Lunar new year to you too!
        I’m not looking forward to the noise and smoke though. Bad time to be in China…although the first time or two was great, it gets old quickly.
        __________________________

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, we get a team to take Kaberle.
      Who do we spend the money on?
      We have a pretty good-looking team right now, and I wouldn’t want to start adding extra elements to the mix that might unbalance things.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

I agree. I was thinking more like a draft pick or prospect. Getting someone to improve the team right now in that trade would be asking too much.

__________________________

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, so in that case, I think that the benefits of a draft pick or prospect are outweighed by the risks of playing Kabby at all.

For the most part.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

They’ll continue to play their 6 best defensemen as long as they’re winning. No showcasing.

So yesterday I had the privilege of being able to listen to Colin Campbell yuk it up with the two geniuses as Sportsnet (Kypreos and MacLean). One of the items discussed was the snowshower penalty being called more frequently this year. Colin said this came out of the playoffs from last year when it was happening far too often and it was agreed that snowshowers would be called regularly this season.

However, Colin just had to show the Bias which the NHL has. When discussing specifically the Jay McClement snow shower penatly from the Leaf game two nights ago, he said loosely, that a player of his character is not whom they are targeting and he doesn’t ever expect it from him.

My issue is this whole boys club Campbell, etc where a kid from Kingston has character, it was almost like you could hear Campbell saying that indeed when it was called on Plekanec you could expect it from him.

I don’t know, I am probably over reacting (as usual) but Campbell has completely worn out his time at NHL head office, the proof was in the emails he sent around targeting players and protecting his son. But he is still there and Shanahan essentially is a puppet for Campbell so as to give the appearance of change.

For all the growth in the game which Bettman takes credit for, he also receives all the credit from me for having such an incestuously run league orifice, I mean office.

• Loonie says:

It’s become pretty clear that his removal from the disciplinarian role was nothing more than a thinly veiled appeasement for Molson, Lemieux and the other owners who were fed up with their expensive assets being maimed without consequence under the former goon’s watchful eye.

• Marc10 says:

I hate this guy. And they love him down in TO. He feeds them scoops so they look the other way when he misbehaves.

I suspect he’ll be in the Hockey Hall of Fame before the swamp where he came from reclaims him.

Agree with both of you (Marc and Tom). Only in the NHL can such an obvious Bob Barker shell game of bringing in Shanahan to handle discipline be accepted as change.

• habstrinifan says:

Your point is often used as a teaching/discussion group in business etc. Where people perceive others ‘from the right areas’ (like Campbell sees a ‘good old kingston boy’) as being inherently ‘good’ and therefore give them an unfair benefit of the doubt consideration.

I am not sure though that Shanahan would allow himself to be Campbell’s puupet… least I hope not. But Shanahan has certainly been reined in re disciplinary matters.

Good Morning habstrinifan, when I listened to Colin, it is obvious he is in charge of league rules, league officials and league discipline (on a large scale). It seems obvious to me that while Shanahan may have some influence on discipline, the fact that Campbell is still above him in hierarchy that indeed Campbell is still in charge. I am sure they two guys have cups of coffee discussing how to handle each act of discipline.

• 24 Cups says:

Visors still aren’t mandatory.

Blindside hits still prevail.

Concussions are a daily occurrence.

Cheapshot artists fight daily to ‘keep order’ on the ice.

This is how we grow the game. Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

• Lafleurguy says:

The game needs more Golden Retrievers. They don’t make you cry.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Loonie says:

Scarier still that today we continue to put the onus on the player being blindsided, cheap shotted and jumped to not have those things happen to them.

The idea of the person getting hit being responsible for how they are hit is criminal. The only case I agree with is when a player turns his back at a critical time.

Players don’t otherwise choose to get hit in the head or when they can’t see it coming.

• Cal says:

Up to and until the NHL rids itself of a bleeping goon as their head of discipline, we will witness incidents on the ice that would be prosecuted if they happened on the street. I wonder how the bleep the NHL brass and ownership committees do not see that this attitude prevents the NHL from growing into the #3 Major League sport? Are they blind or just stupid? Or both, perhaps?

• Luke says:

I still do not understand how the insurance companies haven’t all-but mandate visors. I would have thought, at some point, many years ago, they would have hiked the rates or limited the coverage on players who do not wear visors.

And I know nothing about insurance aside from the fact it’s a government mandated, money grabbing scam. (Not really, but it sure a hell feels like one most of the time).

24. HabsFansince49 says:

I see the Leafs won last night, but ‘wow’ , don’t the caps look bad. Ovi wouldn’t make our 4th line (well, not quite..)
    Big game tonight…

• Marc10 says:

Big game tonight indeed…

All those late nights are catching up with Ovi. Man that guy burned the candle at both ends. It used to be guys like Flower could get away with that, but those days are gone. 4th liners train like animals so to stay at the top, you really need to put the hammer down.

I imagine high performers like St Louis or Crosby live a very different life and train a bit more seriously than Alex the (former) Great.

• Lafleurguy says:

Flower’s skills made a downturn at the age of 29-30. As an opionion, his two-pack a day habit was the major cause.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• 24 Cups says:

The knife that Lemaire put in his back may have also slowed him down. Lafleur still could have played another three or four years for the Habs by maybe taking over 2nd line duties.

Agree! 100%

• Un Canadien errant says:

Please. Guy was many things, but being accountable was never one of them. Jacques Lemaire was the coach and Serge Savard the GM of the team, if Guy had been half the player he used to be, and had been able to contribute positively instead of whining and blaming others for his eroding skills, he could have played to the age of fourty. There was no knife in the back or betrayal by Lemaire, only an aging star who couldn’t adapt or accept the reality he was faced with. I love Guy as a player, but the whole victimhood and ‘being forced into retirement’ and the comeback to ‘prove something’ are a huge stain on his legacy.

An anecdote is telling in his case. When he made his comeback with the Rangers and the huge news of his intentions broke, I read all the Montréal papers that day. The most jarring detail was his defiant attitude that he had a lot of hockey left, and that he wanted to come back to prove that and leave on his own terms. He swore that he was going to undertake a ‘boxer’s training regimen’ to get back into shape for training camp, and that he was “going to quit smoking (wait for it….) tomorrow.”

Exclamation point! Not today. Not last week, or last month when he started thinking of the comeback. Tomorrow? This was a couple of weeks from training camp!

• habsnyc says:

His drop off in goal scoring at age 29 is pretty similar to the drop offs of other Hall of Fame players such as Gretzky and Jagr. He also missed 30 games due to injury at age 29 and only played 70 or more games in a season once after age 28. And don’t forget, after Lemaire retired, Lafleur never had another playmaking center. And I agree with 24 Cups. Lafleur could have played several more seasons.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Kooch7800 says:

I can remember having argument with someone about Ovie vs Crosby and I said Crosby is the better player and will be long term cause of the style they play.

Ovie is no longer an Elite NHL player he is just a really good player

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

I think Ovie’s play style has changed in the last two or three years. They mentioned the suspension having an effect in the broadcast, and maybe it’s true.

I think he bulked up too much and lost some of his agility. I think he plays less like a bull on a rampage and more like a skill guy now.

I think constantly flipping which wing he plays on and putting him opn the point on the PP isn’t helping either. On the PP he should be sitting on the half wall for the one-timer. He should paly on his off wing. He should re-integrate the Wendel Clark portion of his game and he should be left alone for the entire year. why they saw the need to “fix” a Hart, Art Ross & Rocket Richard trophy winner’s game I’ll never understand…

Oh, and fix your gear Ovie. get the pants laces shortened up and get the back pad under control. It looks silly. It looks like you are trying be to be all PK Subban out there…

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree on the style. I think he has been trying to change it but it isn’t working. He needs to play the way he did when he came in. Washington is a mess this year and they really need to blow up that team. Keep Backstrom and Ovie and build around them

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

25. Mattyleg says:

Good Morning Friends and Everyone Else!

So some Flyers and Bolts (and some posters) are unhappy about ‘late’ punches.

What the hell is that all about?! It’s a fight!

This perfectly illustrates what I think is wrong about the concept of fighting in the NHL.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, people fought because -to paraphrase ‘Knuckles’ Nilan- they hated each other. Then the ‘enforcer’ era began, with staged tilts between boxers in skates. Because this sort of thing was only a sideshow, it developed a ‘WWF(E?)’ kind of ‘code’ where you made it look as close to a real fight as possible without any of the messy emotions that charactrerise a real brawl.

Fighting used to be about real anger and the desire to bash someone’s face in. You swung until the ref dragged you off, then you struggled against the ref to get more shots in. None of this ‘tap-tap-good-fight-bro’ BS. I saw nothing wrong about these ‘late’ punches that were thrown by Rinaldo or Vinny. Fighting is not regulated in hockey. Trying to suggest that there is a ‘gentleman’s code’ is nonsense, and passing moral-high-ground judgements on the timings of punches is ridiculous.

Glad I got that off my chest.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

I agree to an extent. If I’m in favour of anything that happened in that game last night it was Lecavalier responding in kind.

The Bolts as you say were really upset about Rinaldo’s late shots. I suppose it’s foolish to expect a guy to stop throwing punches during a fight but then there’s the saying “don’t dish it out if you can’t take it”. The Flyers have no cause for anger this morning.

• Propwash says:

I’m surprised fighting in the NHL hasn’t turned into this…

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Lafleurguy says:

Fallout from fighting: Rick Jodzio effectively ending Marc Tardif’s career by punching him out is the most glaring historical example of a non-fighter being severely injured in a fight. Mario Lemieux got punched out by Washington’s Bobby Gould but fortunately, did not get severely injured. Now that I’m an oldie, what I thought was a cool thing when John Ferguson busted Bobby Hull’s jaw because I had the wisdom of a teenager, I now look upon as a disgraceful act. (Still love Fergie, God rest his soul)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

Totally agree re the ‘hate factor’ emotion of long ago fights. And yes they seemed more real. But they also were more even. I dont think there were behemoths on the team .. just to fight.

I disagree re the ‘code’. I finnd the spectacle of one player punching another who fell to the ice , or who is ‘helpless’ to be offensive. It is very easy and even more MANLY and courageous and certainly more in keeping with the ethos of a sporting battle to stop punching when your opponent is helpless. You can maintain an on guard position without throwing ‘late punches’. And since the ‘fight’ is certainly not a ‘fight to the finish/death’ situation you place yourself at no furher peril. I remember when Ottawa’s Neal had Chara down and held his punches. I admired that.

So late punches, sucker punches (not early punches) punches while the player is prone are all bad and should be barred I say.

Gallagher might be looking forward to playing the Bruins but I’m sure not looking forward to this guy.

Here’s a cheap shot by Lane MacDermid, the newest thug for the Bruins.

This guy has only scored 30 goals in 7 years of junior and pro hockey. He has amassed close to 1000 minutes in penalties during that time. And this is what passes for a hockey player.

Just think how great our game would be if fighting was banned entirely.

27. Steeltown Hab says:

Weird…Does anyone else feel like they’re waking up on Christmas Morning?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

28. Habfan10912 says:

Who sits. White or Armstrong?

———————————–

29. CCL says:

Expect an injury or two tonight. The goons are in town.

30. Loonie says:

Not sure if anyone saw the Blackhawks/Sharks game last night but it was something to see.

Andrew Desjardins absolutely blindsided Jamal Mayers and Duncan Keith immediately started and lost a fight with Desjardins. The officials huddled and correctly gave Desjardins a match penalty. They also gave Keith an instigator. The only thing wrong with Keith getting that instigator is that they weren’t going to call a penalty on Desjardins. Only after the hit, fight, melee and a post fight huddle by those refs did they decide to assess the penalty on Desjardins. They have to fix that rule. A player rightfully responding to a malicious hit or play should not result in an instigator.

How the NHL rescinded Desjardins’ match penalty this morning is beyond me. He targeted a player from a blindside position, launched himself at the time of the hit and deliberately positioned his shoulder to make contact with Mayers’ head.

Two other thoughts. Scott Gomez looked good again and Jonathan Toews might be the best player in the World right now.

• Lafleurguy says:

I always thought there are many similarities between Toews and Crosby; Toews better hands; Sid, more footspeed.

• Habfan10912 says:

Crosby took a puck in the face last night. I imagine Pen fans do the Markov chant every time he’s hit in the head,” please don’t get hurt, please don’t get hurt”. Thankfully he went to the dressing room, got stitched up and returned.

———————————–

• Phil C says:

The reference to “blindside” is no longer a part of rule 48, so the main test is whether or not the head was the principal point of contact. There was certainly a lot of shoulder contact in the replay I saw, so I assume the NHL deemed that the head was not targeted.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

Actually, I would say that penalty was incorrectly assessed, and the league was, in fact, correct in rescinding it. There was no contact to the head whatsoever, and from what I saw, Desjardin did not launch himself at Mayer, he simply stepped into the check. Not only that, Mayer looked forward as he started up the ice and knew there were at least two opponents in close range, but still looked back to pick up a suicide pass. Sorry, but the old adage applies here…keep your head up, kid.

• Loonie says:

We disagree. Both of Desjardins’ feet left the ice and he launched himself toward Mayers.

The head is a close call. But at the end of the day Desjardins decided to launch himself toward a player who didn’t see him coming.

• Luke says:

League rescinded the Desjardins penalty. Rules a clean hit.

Off the TSN to have alook at it…

31. rhino514 says:

i thought even if we improve we´d have no chance against the rangers but just goes to show how much of a team game this is.
    the pens, however, look unstoppable.

Have to wonder if Tortorella’s act may be wearing thin, I seem to recall him calling out Gaborik publicly in playoffs last year, then after they are out it is found out that Gaborik was playing with a seperated shoulder. I wonder how much better Torts would coach with a lacerated larynx or a dislocated voicebox.

Mornin’ Jim!

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. I have to admit while watching them this year I thought they look lethargic. Torts used the word scared. I suspect if the Rangers somehow find themselves out of a playoff spot that he doesn’t survive. I really have a hard time believing this team doesn’t make the playoffs though.
        ———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Lundqvist has looked mortal.
          McDonagh, 9GP, 0-0-0, -3, 4PIM
          “May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

I think McDonagh might be one of those Torts was talking about. Richards and Gabs might be some other’s.

———————————–

• JF says:

I’ve watched the Rangers a couple of times and haven’t been impressed. They look slow and lethargic and seem to lack jump. The guys they got rid of – Prust, Dubinsky, Rupp – are all tough players and “character” guys, as is Callahan, who is injured at the moment. The team seems to be missing that element.

• 123456 says:

Burly you are correct that Torts act wears you out. Has happened every place he has gone. His product life cycle is 5ish years or so.

• habstrinifan says:

LOL re lacerated larnyx. I like the analogy. Not laughing at him having one just the way you used the ailmentt o drive home your point of Gaborik being handicapped in playoffs. Good one.

• Cal says:

The Nash trade isn’t looking too good right now. I am enjoying their woes. SchaddenNash!

32. Cal says:

Puck drop in less than 12 hours! Woot woot!

33. Lafleurguy says:

Habs fans and in particular HIO posters have valuable experience and advice to share with Vancouver fans.

Which goaltender would give the Canucks their best chance of winning the Cup THIS year?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Roberto Luongo for sure. If they could get an attacker for Schneider they could make a push for the big prize this year.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Lafleurguy says:

I agree with you. Marc Andre Fleury had an even worse playoffs last year than Luongo and there is no clamor for another ‘tender in Penguin palace (I’m guessin’).
        The situation in Vancouver is all about the huge cap-space dollars tied up in the goalie position. If Luongo were to be traded to an eventual Cup champion (his no-trade clause allows him to veto any trade) Canuck fans would be crying Leaf-tears.

• BK says:

Agree with you but at the same time learn from Montreal’s mistake and not trade on of them for practically nothing.

Time for changes

• Lafleurguy says:

Mike Gillis seems more savvy than Gauthier. Quite deft in how he added David Booth, Chris Higgins, Zack Kassian, Max Lap.(chuckle).
            Wonder if Aaron Rome is healthy and available for employment by the Habs?

• Habfan10912 says:

Yeah BK I agree. The darn goalie market was so soft at the time though, eh? Bad timing for the Habs but I still haven’t given up on Lars.

———————————–

• Bill J says:

You mean like we did when we traded Roy to Colorado?

• BK says:

lol Yeah now that I think about it almost every time we trade a goalie we get shafted.
            Time for changes

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. This is a weird one and the blame is mostly on Vancouver’s coach. Gainey was unflappable in his selection of Price even when Halek had outplayed him in many games. There was never any doubt that Price was their goalie of the future. Vancouver? It appeared as if Schneider had won the Canuck battle and Luongo would be moved in a trade. Forward to start of season and Luongo appears to have stolen the job once again.
      If I’m Vancouver I’d learn from what Montreal did. Pick one and live with it.
      BTW in Montreal’s case they picked the right one.

———————————–

• BK says:

Time for changes

• Lafleurguy says:

Hey Jim! Hope you’re able to chew solids today after yesterday! Price is Dryden-like so the choice here was easier than the Canucks’ quandary. Luongo is Gerry Cheevers-like. Schneider showed this year he has some holes in his game (pun intended).

“May you live in interesting times.”

34. BK says:

These are the games we all live for, cant wait until tonight!!!
    Go HABS Go

Time for changes

After this weeks 2 of 3 games at home the Habs finally start getting real road trips. Would be nice if team could get 2 out of 3 wins this week.

In March alone team plays 14 games with only 5 at home, hopefully this team which appears to be bonding together well can carry this momentum on the road as well.

I don’t think any other team in the league has had such a favourable start to season with games at home. In fact Chicago and Nashville have only had 2 home games each thus far into season.

36. The Cat says:

Habs are due for a game to go into OT.

37. Lafleurguy says:

Last year, Habs were 2W 3L 0(OT) 1(SOL) vs. Bruins.
    All losses were by one goal. Tomas P. and David D. scored the game winners. Our team is better this year despite the loss of Aaron Palushaj.

Interesting that an effective Lightning squad has former Canadiens Benoit Pouliot, Tom Pyatt, and Mathieu Carle logging regular ice-time for coach Guy Boucher.

“May you live in interesting times.”

38. twilighthours says:

On Keith/Desjardins/Mayer,

1) no way that is a hit to he head. Pure shoulder. Definitely a cheap hit because Mayers didn’t have the puck, but that’s two head-hit calls in the last week that have been just wrong.

2) After Keith gave that suicide pass to Mayers, it’s a good thing he stepped in there. That’s the least he could do to say “I’m sorry for almost getting you killed.”

• Lafleurguy says:

Agree that impact on the head did not occur, but the violent deceleration of the brain within the hard cranium is dangerous. This was the type of hit that was the last Eric Lindros absorbed as a Ranger and NHLer.
      The young stunt snowmobiler who crashed in the Winter Extreme Sports Games walked away from the crashsite but later died of brain and heart injuries.

“May you live in interesting times.”

39. Lafleurguy says:

Got to put this out early, on this big day: rookie Cory Conacher is from Burlington, and is a alumnus of the Burlington Cougars.

Past Cougars include Paul Henderson, Pat Quinn, Pit Martin, Rick Lanz, Ron Sedlbauer, Murray Oliver, and a host of others.

“May you live in interesting times.”

What a great story eh? I didn’t grow up here in BUrlington but most of the guys on my slo-pitch team went to high school together with Cory’s dad. They are distant related to the great Lionel Conacher “The Big Train” who won championships in Hockey, football and baseball. Canada’s top Athlete of the first half of 20th Century. So the kid comes from great lineage.

• Lafleurguy says:

Neat stuff. You know a bunch of interesting people, Burly,.

I mentioned on this site before, that one of those guys is coaching a midget team in Mississauga, the other coach is Cory’s dad, and PK was helping out with the team during the lockout. Makes for some good stories at the bar. I seem to always know the friends of the people of notoriety, not the people themselves. :)

40. Habilis says:

Completely off topic:

Occasionally, my insomnia allows me to find something online that I probably would never have seen if I could sleep. Thought I’d share.

Credit to BizNasty. Yes, I follow him on twitter. Dude’s funny.

That’s the craziest thing I’ve heard since that dude ate that other dude’s face in Florida a while back. Also, the delivery by the kid is hilarious.

41. jedimyrmidon says:

So… the New York Rangers. Early season rustiness or something else?

I think their lack of forward depth is actually hurting them. Their top line is among the very best of the league, but after that, do they have any major contributors left? I guess they really need Stepan and Callahan to produce (Callahan being out due to injury). I’d say they are a team that needs their first line to be producing otherwise they’re going to be in deep trouble.

Sort of like the MaxPac-DD-Cole line was for the Habs last year, but on steroids.

• Habilis says:

I think (or maybe it’s more hope than think) that it’s more of the same for the Rangers. Buying talent never seems to agree with them. Well, since ’94 anyhow. ;)

• jedimyrmidon says:

If ever they need to move a contract, let’s hope the other team makes them pay for it unlike the Habs who pretty much paid them in the form of McDonagh to take on a behemoth contract.

• chanchilla says:

I think it has a lot to do with their first line being the only line that can produce, they don’t have the depth with callahan out.

42. MikeHabs says:

I am so pumped to play Boston. It is definitely a game that you have to pull out the measuring stick for. It is a huge test and if we can come out on top, even better.

Habs Daily Recap: Feb 5th – http://allaboutthehabs.ca/habs-daily-recap-feb-5th/ (includes something new revolving around triple low 5)
    twitter: @Mike_Habs

43. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Can’t even announce the goal scorers before another one goes in, in San Jose.

44. jols101 says:

Good ole fashion barn burner in San Jose. 3-2 Sharks over Hawks with only 12 minutes gone in the game.

NHL.COM’s Bruins-Canadiens Preview should just be called Bruins Preview. The article basically goes on and on about Boston and then at the end of their gushing mention that their next game is on the road against Montreal.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Bruins owner is chairman of the board of governors so I don’t think that’s just a coincidence . Too much favoritism towards that team by the NHL.

• christophor says:

…except it’s written by Arpon Basu.

Not like he’s a Habs fan or anything.

Anyway, I really don’t see the article that way at all.

At least we can agree that the Bruins suck.

• Garbo says:

You must be reading a different article.

• HardHabits says:

It is a different article. It’s been re-written since I read it and posted that link. I copied and pasted the title Bruins-Canadiens Preview from the article and it’s gone too. Article is more balanced now. But I am not kidding. The article when I posted the comment read more like a homer article.

46. Mad Habber says:

Gallagher sounds like he wants to be on the bad end of one of King Kong’s “Hockey plays”

47. Sportfan says:

I am very excited for tomorrows game but really nervous at the same point although a few douchers won’t be playing tomorrow. Time to start up the rivalry.

For those who haven’t seen it yet there’s a new article I posted on my blog check it out!

48. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

If the lowly and sad Sabres could beat the Bruins a week ago, Habs can beat them. Of course that was probably a freak accident, but we went toe to toe with this team in ’10-’11 with a lot less talent and a lot less grit. Now they are minus one Tea-bagging Timmy. We win, I say.

One fifth of the season is now over and Washington is dead last in the NHL. Could they be in the running for one of the top picks?

Can you say Barkov?

Eight more years of Ovechkin at 9.5M. What a coach killer this guy has turned out to be.

• The Jackal says:

How do you know he is a coach killer? He got along with Boudreau, who was fired because of the easy out that is firing a coach, after that WASH has gotten unproven NHL coaches who are probably not using Ovi well. I would take Ovi on my team any day. That team’s problems are its D and goaltending, and lack of secondary scoring. Everyone knows to play Ovi, they have no other big threats. WASH needs one or two bonafide scorers to take the pressure off Ovi.

• HardHabits says:

Dude. Ovi is the problem.

• The Jackal says:

I’ve been in the room, I would know.
          Kidding. I don’t think that he is the problem, I think they need better players around him and either a coach that can use him or time for Oates to learn how to use him in a way that gets him scoring.

• Da Hema says:

But Ovechkin called Boudreau a “fat f*ck” in the most respectful manner possible.

For example:

Boudreau: Alex, you can’t stay on the ice for three minutes!
            Ovechkin: I’ll stay out as long as I want, you fat f*ck!

The respect is palpable!

• The Jackal says:

That “fat f—” incident is just internet lip reader speculation. Yeah, Ovi was unhappy he was sat, but what player wouldn’t want to be out there. The incident was not a big deal at all and as usual it was made to be something it was not. So in short, I Habsolutely think they got along to the point of being coachable and understanding of hockey decisions.

50. Steven says:

The standings are just unreal at the moment.

15th place Montreal is 4th in the East.

13th Anaheim and 14th Edmonton are 4th and 6th, respectively.

Toronto and the Islanders are currently in the top 8

Minnesota, even with the two biggest UFAs of last summer, is on the outside looking in. Technically tied for 8th in points but with an extra game played.

6 of the 16 playoff teams from last year are out of the playoffs currently, including last year’s Cup Champions: Rangers, Panthers, Caps, Flyers, Kings and Preds.
    Panthers, Flyers, Caps are 13, 14, 15 in the East, in that order. Nashville’s sitting in 9th, and Kings were the worst of the West after Calgary before their win tonight.

Speaking of Calgary, I don’t think anyone expected them to make the playoffs this year, but 15th in the West? I would never have had them there.

It’s gonna be some kind of season. Don’t be surprised if the Top 8 in each conference is noticeably different come April.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I had Calgary as my surprise pick for bottom feeding team this year. Some of the sharper commentors on here chided me for that, saying that with Miikka Kiprusoff they would always be respectable, but I had my doubts. I had Alex Tanguay, Jarome Iginla, Miikka on my fantasy team last season, plus Jay Bouwmeester for long stretches until I abandoned hope on him, so I paid a lot of attention to Calgary. Weird vibe in the room, the two pillars are aging but there’s no young ones to look to to take up the slack. Jay Feaster has been troweling on the putty and duct-taping stuff together. The short training camp didn’t hurt Michel Therrien and his new system seems to have been adopted quickly, but Bob Hartley is suffering from the lack of prep time.

This isn’t just an idle observation either, if my suspicions are confirmed, and the trend continues, we’ll have a high second-rounder as compensation for Mike Cammalleri, plus René Bourque. Maybe we were too hasty in letting Pierre Gauthier go…

51. Mattyleg says:

I stopped watching the Flyers-TB game ages ago.
    Couldn’t bear it.
    Not good.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Vinny and Talbot duke it out at centre ice! Decesion Vinny.

• otter649 says:

Vinny’s had two fights this season – Both against Flyers with Luke Schenn the other player he fought. Noticed Talbot received an extra punch when he was down. Payback for an early fight in the game when a Flyer did it to Crombeen who was hurt by the late punch…..

53. habsfaninboston says:

Nice to see Vinny drop the gloves.

54. habs001 says:

In a short sched anything can happen….Many posters are saying the Leafs are so bad with lots of issues which has some truth yet they are 5-5…

55. aversglay says:

Wow philly is awful. Just watching the third — pouliot scored.

The Habs can beat the Bruins if they use their speed to their advantage. As long as they attack and defend as a team and stick up for each other they will compete. There’s no need to play the Bruins game, nor is there any need to succumb to intimidation. Beat them on the scoreboard. Make them pay that way.

• ProHabs says:

Prust needs to beat the living tar out of McQuiad.
      Moen needs to beat the living tar out of Horton.
      Boullion needs to beat the living tar out of Ference.
      Armstorng needs to catch Marchant with his head down and rock his world.
      Subban needs to catch Lucic with his head down and destroy him.

Aside from that, no need to play the Bruins game. Beat them on the scoreboard.

• HardHabits says:

I am still looking for this game in the archives, the date. It was in the 80’s. Montreal was in Boston and the game was at the Garden. Roy was in nets. It was one of the fastest skating, hardest hitting games I have ever seen, including all the rock’em sock’em battles of Alberta. There were a few fights. Nilan was always around the action. I remember one sight of a Bruin getting pulled out of a scrum with blood streaming down his face like a cascade. Apart from the few fights, it was clean and physical game, no cheap shots, just high intensity action. The Habs won 2-1.

After the game they interviewed Larry Robinson. He said something to the effect of, “you don’t know how fun hockey is until you play a game like that.”

That’s what I want to see. Intense end to end action with the Habs out skating and out hustling the Bruins… and of course beating them on the scoreboard!!!

• Fansincebirth says:

I was just telling a co-worker too-young-to-remember-Habs-fan about the “good old days” of hard hitting, take no prisoners” hockey versus the head hunting, intent to injure games being played nowadays. The hits and fights back then were so different.

What’s happened to our game?

• The Jackal says:

Damn straight. Let the Booins parade to the box, time to reassert our dominance over them, the last two seasons were a fluke.

57. habsfan0 says:

Laffs win; Joe Bowen is a happy camper.

He won’t be nearly as happy on Saturday.

58. habs_54321 says:

I just happened to look at the flames player stats and noticed how bad cammalleri is struggling, 0 goals 2 assists -3 in 6 games but the most suprising is 6 shots!! i remember cammy even when he wasn’t scoring he was always shooting the puck.

59. habstrinifan says:

Biggest surprise re Gallagher to me is not his speed or tougness or work ethic. It’s how ‘nimble’ he is on his skates. He made a tight move along the boards in last game… amazing.

60. frontenac1 says:

WTF!!!Neuvirth goes to the bench with the leaf in in Caps Zone with the puck and then the Leaf misses the open net!!!!

61. habstrinifan says:

From Habfan10912:

February 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    From Habfan10912 the following link:

PK and others speak after practice today.

Cool Cool Cool. Check what P.K says from 1:34 to about 1:45 of his interview.

I havent seen much feedback on it and am surprised after what we went though last year.

I say Hail Therrien!

Thanks habfan10912 for the link.

62. commandant says:

I think if Gallagher ducked just a little, he could slip between chara’s legs.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Ahhh flicked back to NBC and heard Milbury extolling the virtues of Rinaldo, “Finish the Job” If only Robinson had finished the job on Milbury so many years ago….

64. gumper says:

Can somebody please ‘splain to me why the Habs would waive Palushaj? Dogs are so weak. Surely there was a place for him there????

Due to injury earlier in season, he had to clear waivers in order to get back on Dogs squad. It wasn’t that the Habs wanted to lose him, but rather get him back on ice with Dogs. Numbers game.

Perhaps a better opportunity for Aaron, while a significant loss for the Dogs.

I believe on previous thread Commandant explained it much better than I just tried.

• 24 Cups says:

We were losing cap space on Palushaj due to his injury. Once healthy, it was time for him to go to Hamilton.

No loss, this guy was never going to be a Hab (at least 7th on the depth chart after three years).

We can take the boys of beans with foot speed, quick puck movement and discipline. Don’t let them try to slow the game down and we roll 4 lines. Go get um PK!

66. Stormin says:

Zac Rinaldo continues to pummel Crombeen after he is down what a complete jerk. Team mates need to tell him this not UFC once you knock your opponent down and out the fight is over

• otter649 says:

Not sure if Pierre McGuire should be eves dropping on personal conversations between Briere & St Louis and then reporting/announcing them as a scoop. It’s one thing to talk to a player/coach & report what was said but another to go out of his way to over hear players & announce what was said…..

67. chanchilla says:

theres finally a torrent up of 24ch if anyone is interested, it’s on piratebay, i’ll help out and will be seeding tonight.

68. Habilis says:

I respectfully decline to vote in the current poll since I hate all 5 teams. I hate the 4 American clubs because they all have more recent Cups than the Habs. I hate the Leafs because they’re the Leafs.

In other news, “Diapers” Stock remains a doofus. All hail Stubbs.

69. NLhabsfan says:

The the size of the dog in the fight……

70. Sean Bonjovi says:

If an NHL team drafts a CHL player they have to sign him before some deadline, or they’ll lose their exclusive rights to that player. That deadline is something like 23 months after the player is drafted. The window to sign drafted European players use to be about the same two years.

When the League and the PA agreed on this new CBA there was speculation that the rule might be changed to allow NHL teams to keep exclusive negotiating rights for drafted players playing in Europe for about FOUR years and not the two years it was with the last CBA. Does anyone know how that finally worked out?

• commandant says:

It was signed as 4 years for the Euros.

What is unclear is whether it will still be 2 years for those drafted in 2011 and 2012, and then become 4 beginning with 2013 draftees, or if the rule applies to the 2011 and 12 picks as well.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

Did you see the THN article on lack of depth in the draft?

• commandant says:

Yeah.

Its the same thing every year.

From now until this time next year everyone will say “the 2014 draft is so deep, its gonna be the best draft ever”
          Then in Feb 2014 we’ll start hearing whispers “hey that 2014 draft, its not as good as we thought, but 2015 is gonna be awesome”

Its what happens every year. When these guys are 16, and even early in the season, scouts focus on all the positives and not the negatives. Now the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th time they see them, they start to pick out (and in some cases nitpick) the flaws.

This is why I kept saying 2012 was a lot deeper than it was being given credit for in the last few weeks before the draft.

2013 has gotten overrated to this point.

Really I think 2012 and 2013 are about even when you think about it… maybe a slight edge to 2013 as I feel the top 7 or 8 of 2013 beat guys like Reinhart, Reilly, and the others from 4-8 last year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

It actually used to be SEVEN years for Europeans (and I believe TEN if you go even further back). This is why the Montreal Canadiens still owned the rights to Alexei Emelin despite his being drafted in 2004 and having not signed a contract with Montreal until 2011-12.

I always thought that was one of the most insane rules ever.

The four years basically gives teams the same rights as they have with NCAA players in principle, although an NCAA player can leave school early and force the clock.

The announcer on the NBC broadcast of Philly/Tampa game, just said regarding Flyers – “we have some injuries” I suppose that isn’t being bias when the owner of NBC Sports also owns the Flyers.

• Danno says:

Jack Toad would disapprove of the use of the word “we” used in reference to the team

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Hard not to just love the attitude Gallagher carries, must be infectious to the rest of the team. Would love to see Gallagher skate circles around Chara.

• Habfan10912 says:

Marty Brodeur talked about the difference in the Canadiens speed last week. Gallagher has something to do with that.

———————————–

73. Steven says:

I imagine I’m very late to the party, but Palushaj claimed by Avs

74. chanchilla says:

im pretty sure it’s the english one, or at least im praying cause i don’t speak alick of french haha

75. chanchilla says:

confirmed its english.

76. jols101 says:

Lol, I like yours more. You incorporated a Habs theme…