Rocket’s elaborate 1956-57 contract

Habs Inside/Out reader Dee sends along this, which apparently is making the rounds on the Internet. Seems that Frank Selke had a 2 1/2-year-old daily agenda pad on which to scrawl in pencil the terms of Maurice (Rocket) Richard’s 1956-57 contract.

Thanks, Dee. A wonderful piece of history.

Amazing…

1. Kristopher7 says:

Wow nice

2. Sags says:

I wish this version of les canadiens played with the skill, determination and passion that the Rocket did for his team and city…Maurice Richard, the greatest Montreal Canadien ever!

3. Dee says:

Sorry I didn’t finish writing.I am having problems with my computer.What I wanted to say was.Thank you Mr,Stubbs for entering this piece of Habs History on HIO.Some of these players today make this in one night.Years ago players played with their heart and soul today it is how much money can I make then hold off for the best bidder to come along.They were the good old hockey days when there were 6 teams and cream of the crop.They didn’t ware much equipment back in the day equipment today could kill someone.Take a look at Gerry Mcneil’s pads made with straw.No helments no face masks for the goalies till Jaque Plante had the first mask.The first time I saw him in that mask,I thought he was someone from mars LOL.When my son played pee wee hockey they had to ware a mask.I went out and bought him one the full one similar to the ones they ware today.Well he didn’t want that one he wanted the one like PLante’s so that is what he got.I am not having a good day I think I will go to bed LOL.Those senior moments.

Dave – the last contract that I worked under was over 220 pages long and only 4 of those were to do with salary! Thanks for posting this fabulous piece of history. I would start going on about how great the old days were but I can’t take the anticipated punishment from the younger crowd on this site:-)

Life is what goes on when you’re trying to get your life together. Today’s world will someday be someone else’s “old days”. And so it goes.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

5. HugeHabsFan says:

I’d love to hear all about how great the old days were. Feel free to share…I’m all eyes. ;o)

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

6. Chris L says:

Yes, I recall seeing it there along with a lot of other great stuff. I actually took a few photos of it – but they sure as heck didn’t turn out as good as this one looks.

7. MikeMcLaren says:

Is this from the traveling Maurice Richard exhibit? When I was in Montreal last April I went to that – a MUST for all Habs fans – they have an amazing collection. Kind of nice that the government stepped in and bought the stuff from the family rather than letting it go entirely to private collectors. This way we can all see these great pieces of history.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

8. mrstewart61 says:

$14,000 in 1956 equivalent to about $107,000 in 2007.

———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

9. 100HABS says:

Good contract for the Habs – ha got 38 goals that year!

___________________________
    ’tis the season to be jolly

10. moser17 says:

“Wires and Cables for the Pulp and Paper Industry”.

Denise – Amherstburg is a town that I wasn’t familiar with until my daughter started dating a young guy from that locale. I have heard lots of great things about this special place – will have to visit it some time to see for myself.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

12. Dee says:

Thanks Mr,Stubb

13. HugeHabsFan says:

Wow. Now that’s wild!

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.