Road trip off to a rocky start

Grumpy about the hockey game?

Things could be worse.

You could be a New York Giants fan.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

O’Byrne reborn in Denver

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Arpon Basu on the Subban conundrum

1. CHsam says:

As much as I would love to have Iginla, I think the Langenbruner possibility is probably more realistic for sure…. but hey, ya never know what’s going to happen. No way I could have predicted Dominic Moore for a 2nd round pick last year.

2. CHsam says:

I’m with you on this one buddy. I hope PG is entertaining this idea. That would be an exciting line to watch.

3. cautiousoptimist says:

Neither has Iginla, the bum. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  4. shiram says:

Happy birthday to Andrei Markov, wish you the best and speediest of recovery.

5. cautiousoptimist says:

Habs need a good offensive defenceman, but it would be premature to go out and mortgage the farm to get one for a couple of months.  Way better to give Weber the ice time he needs to develop, and get him ready for regular shift.

Also, rather than pick up an overrated defenceman with lots of hype driving up his trade value, pick up an underrated UFA with lower current trade value like Chris Phillips, or Willie Mitchell if he’s healthy this summer.  And McCabe has become a bit of a joke, but unfairly I think — he’s a +7 right now on a brutal Florida team where Wideman is a -8, and he’s on track for 41 points this season.  Plus he’s 6’2″ and 223 lbs with a booming shot and lots of hits and shot blocks.  If Markov isn’t heathy this summer, McCabe might make a lot of sense.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  6. HabFanSince72 says:

Regeher hasn’t won a playoff series since 2005.

7. ctony says:

I think we could get him for Laps and a second/third round pick.

8. Kappy says:

I really can’t see any team giving up that much for Kaberle at this point, and if that is still the asking price for him then it is definetly not worth it.

If AK is with us next year it will be a one year deal for less then he is making this year. Unless he really starts filling the net.

9. Bugs says:

K Senior’s passing is GOOD, but uhh, nowhere NEAR “easily the best” on the team, sorry to say.

No match for Plecky’s, Gomie’s and heck, I ain’t ashamed to say it, my boy Poolio’s.

Jack Marty didn’t make K Senior a scapegoat, Terry, the lad did that all by himself.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

10. Bugs says:

I say don’t touch Kaberle at all and instead, concentrate on an acquisition who’s done SOMETHING in the playoffs in the last 5 years.

Good d-man; don’t get me wrong, but how can we COUNT on this guy come April?

That’s why it’s Regher/Lagenbruner for me.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

11. The Cat says:

And a good coach too, they have it all, it seems.

12. habaddict_andy says:

We will not fall to 8th since we have more wins and we have not lost against Boston so far.

13. habaddict_andy says:

True that.  Last night we played young and fast team in their home ice.  Bottom line we did not score although Colorado did give us many opportunities.  Sad to see bitterness coming out in these so called fans.  But I doubt Nuna is a fan at all.

14. avatar_58 says:

Has anyone been watching Kaberle lately? It’s not like the rest of the team is the only reason they lose, his mistakes and giveaways are just as bad if not worse than Schenn, Komisarek et al.

I would go out on a limb and suggest if we want him, wait till the END of the season and do not overpay for him. Yeah he’s a puck moving defenceman alright, but he’s moving it in the wrong places and to the wrong team.

15. cautiousoptimist says:

What you’re saying isn’t crazy, but I wouldn’t deal a solid RFA like Kostitsyn for a few months of Kaberle.  I can’t see Kaberle leaving Toronto for anything other than a strong prospect or 1st-rounder from a team making a Cup run, and good as the Habs are this year, I’m not sure that’s us.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  16. terrygain says:

Very good post, Mr. James but I think you are wrong. With the right team AK will score 50 goals.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

17. cautiousoptimist says:

To be fair though, 35 games into the season, when the 2nd place Caps are just four points ahead of 8th place Bruins, the ranking doesn’t mean a whole lot.

BTW, Philly scares the hell out of me: much as I can’t stand them, that there is a team built to win the Cup.  Unbelievable that they managed to get under the cap with Briere, Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Zherdev, Timonen, Pronger, Carle, Coburn…  Great D, great offense, great young guns like Giroux and van Riemsdyk, great grit as always, great job finding diamonds in the rough like Leino, and now a great young goalie.  Hard to argue with that.  The only thing they’ve got going against them is karma.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  18. terrygain says:

Adam

Bench PK again? Yeah it really worked last time. But of course you were being satirical as your oblique reference to O’Byrne showed. Unfortunately satire does not work on a sports blog.

19. habaddict_andy says:

Hamrlik does a better job moving the puck than Gill or Picard for that matter although it’s true he has slowed down.

20. Kappy says:

I have read a lot of talk about trading for Kaberle below.  Kaberle would definetly fit the need, but giving up a first for him would be a mistake considering he is UFA at the end of the season.  What about AK46 for Kaberle straight up?  I think it’s a win win for both teams, considering there contract status and needs for each team (Leafs have needs everywhere, but it’s a start!)

At this point I am not sure what PG is going to offer AK next year and he may decided to cut his losses and fill the need for a big winger through free agency or hope that MaxPac and Benny turn out to be that guy because lets face it things have not worked out as planned with AK and I think time is running out.  I for one really hope he turns it around before the end of the season.

21. Seps says:

Does spelling matter to you that much?

And you have to remember Price didn’t play against the Leafs.  But yes, he hasn’t looked like he has this season, in his last 3-4 starts.

22. lenny says:

AK46 should be moved at the first possible opportunity

23. Hagar says:

I’ve been through this before. Still gonna have to go with Iginla even though he’s likely a Flame 4 life. Cammy/Pleks/Iggy will give other teams night terrors. It’ll compensate for any/all shortcomings.

24. cautiousoptimist says:

I’d love to pick up Langenbrunner — I won’t hold his lousy numbers this year against him as he’s been a consistent 50-60 point player for years and the Devils are just positively brutal this year.  He also captained Team USA at the Olympics this year.  With NJ desperate for cap space and goaltending prospect, and with Langenbrunner a 35-year-old UFA having a slow year, I bet we could get him for Mayer or Simila and a low pick.  I’d hang on to Ramo though — he’s having an awesome year in the KHL.

Adding Langenbrunner would mean that Eller finally has some linemates who can score, and would give us three strong lines, offensively and defensively, plus a really good shutdown line:

AK46-Pleks-Cammy

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Langenbrunner-Eller-Pouliot

Moen-Halpern-Lapierre

Guys like Bieksa, Iginla or Jovanovski would be great, but they won’t come cheap, and if we deal lots of assets to land them and they don’t light it up, there’ll be hell to pay.  Langenbrunner would be a low-risk move with high potential rewards — I’d go for it.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  25. terrygain says:

Kostitsyn’s passing is easily the best on the team. He moves the puck faster and to the right guy more often than anyone on the team. His fighting to control the puck along the boards and his pass to Plekanek to set up the first goal yesterday would not have been noticed by most who post here, but that’s how he plays. In the 3rd period he was late tagging up and was offside. Martin obviously concluded he hadn’t hustled. I think Andrei played one shift thereafter. Martin played Darche,  instead of AK on a  power play after that – which is just plain stupid.  Gainey  has assembled a strong core of good players. It’s unfortunate he hired a mediocre coach who always has to have at least one scapegoat.

As talented as AK is, he’s not going to produce playing 11 minutes a night.

26. Psycho29 says:

No need to post the full standings…

Thanks,

Vaudreuil Psychos  :-)

27. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

McCabe would not be my first choice, for obvious reasons. But, he has played for Martin, and if PG is looking for a puck-mover, he might be the guy they try to get, I would much prefer Jovo or even Bieksa personnally.

28. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Cap-wise, it is definitely possible. It all depends on what we have to give though. Obviously, both options are farfetched, but cap-wise, they are both possible.

29. Hagar says:

We’re falling to 8th for sure. Better pick up our socks.

30. G-Man says:

Please, the word is l-o-s-e, not loose as in my shoe laces are loose. Or, Habs management has played fast and loose with their fans’ confidence in the team.

Every1 on HIO crowing in the early season about how great the team is now are starting to wonder when the losing will stop. The problem isn’t in nets. Price has done fine (more than fine, excepting the last string of 5 games). The problem is up front when none of the Habs forwards are in top 20 in scoring. We laud how well Pleks is doing, but there are so many more players elsewhere that produce more points. Montreal has not hard a real star player for so long the fanbase gets excited when a Hab is close to a point per game.

Last night was a prime example of hardly any scoring. There were 5 or 6 excellent opportunities in the last 2 minutes to tie the game. All of them were squandered by missed shots or passes into players’ skates. Exciting, sure, but the same thing weve seen for years; good opportunities thrown away.

31. Propwash says:

LOL, same as every other team in the league bub.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

32. HabFanSince72 says:

Number 13 in wins.

Number 26 in save %

33. alestar says:

Agreed…Pouliot has the best shot on the team.

If he had some ice-time and decent linemates he could easily be around the 20 goal mark right now.

XXIV…and counting

34. G-Man says:

Don’t think option 1 is possible. Either Langenbrunner OR a top 4 Dman, but not both.

Iginla too old and is a Flame for life unless the Sutters go totally insane.

35. The Cat says:

Sometimes a 3rd D or 4th centre is more essential to the club than the number 1 guys.

36. Seps says:

What about Gorges-Subban Gill-Picard Spacek-Weber for D?  I doubt this will ever happen but I would like to see Gorges and Subban together, and Hamrlik doesn’t even look like he can skate out there anymore, he bobbles like a MAB and does not have quick enough feet as he gets beaten in way too many foot races.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Brian McCabe? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Iggy I wouldn’t say no to.

38. alestar says:

Sounds like a certain goalie from last season…PK will be fine, it may take a couple of seasons for him to turn into an all-star, but it will happen.

XXIV…and counting

39. mrhabby says:

Robin Regher???

40. avatar_58 says:

Not really. He wasn’t even back long enough to make that statement. He was still rehabbing getting into the swing of it when he went down, so it’s not fair to judge

Indeed… one problem Habs did not have this season was in goal. Other areas on the other hand, including coaching… well…

42. mrhabby says:

Robin Regher from the Flames should be thrown in the mix.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

A 1st for 18-30 games of Kaberle?

44. sholi2000.com says:

Lookie lookie, the first of the vermin has arrived.  See Below.

This has got to be a white knuckle time for
    poor Pierre Gauthier, knashing his teeth wondering why Eller is not
    saving the team, and why he had to get rid of Halak?

The Canadiens loose a few and the Trolls have returned.

Congrats Nuna, you very never missed.  Where were you the last three months?  I’ll answer that.  Hoping for the Habs to fail. You make me sick.

Oh and I found Halak for you.  He’s number 13, and falling hard.

They Call Me Shane

45. The Cat says:

So says the biggest Souray-hatin’ anti-Canadian I’ve ever seen!

46. HabFanSince72 says:

I said Markov had more skills but Souray was more essential.

Single wrongest statement in the history of H I/O.

Not even worth debating.

47. SensFanSpezza says:

Wouldn’t Kaberle waive for the Habs?  He’s friends with Pleks, he’s not likely to be re-signed in toronto and he’s going to want to go someplace where his presence will help a team win.  He also has said he likes Canada and he likes playing in the East.  Sounds like he might welcome the chance to join the Habs.  If he moves, Burke will do it at the deadline, and the one thing  he wants more than anything right now is a first to replace the one he gave Boston.  It’s steep, but the Habs aren’t going to get a quality defenseman for nothing.  And if Kaberle stayed in Montreal, it could be a good deal in the end.

48. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hate to break it to you bugs but those series went to seven games each.  It’s not like we swept Washi and Pitt, we could’ve just as easily lost one of those series as everyone knows anything can happen in a game seven.

49. The Cat says:

I said Markov had more skills but Souray was more essential.