Road trip off to a rocky start

Grumpy about the hockey game?

Things could be worse.

You could be a New York Giants fan.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

O’Byrne reborn in Denver

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Arpon Basu on the Subban conundrum

It might sounds like a totally crazy idea, but perhaps it would have helped if he scored. I mean, yeah, it’s a stretch, it’s not what he is paid to do but still… Even Moen scores some time.

Umm… correction. Gomez is The Superior Passer.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

You’ve also said Souray was better than Markov when he was here. Either you hava it in for Markov, or you lack any judgement for hockey talent. If you think Markov is not essential to the club, I’m guessing you don’t believe playoffs are that important either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. Everlasting1 says:

I said all that? Please, troll. My comparisons were between goalies playing for the same team. Nothing more.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

5. Lazarus_taxa says:

gomez assisted on the second goal.  Interesting that you accuse Boone of not pointing out AK’s assist, but you fail to mention Gomez’s point in your long-winded, whiny post.  Pretty hypocritical if you ask me…. Its also funny how AK was benched in the 3rd, so the coaches must think AK is not playing up to par.  I thought Gomez played insane last night.  I don’t know why you call for people to stop bashing one player, and back it up by bashing another….

6. The Cat says:

I dont know why he thinks that. Ive always said we should trade him cause I find him to be overrated, a big game choker and not essential to the club, and to get something you got to give something.

7. Bugs says:

“Could’ve”, maybe; but didn’t.

Cuz our D had something to say about it.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

8. showey47 says:

From what you said all summer halak won all those games or us by himself. So really whatever injuries st.louis have shouldn’t mean anything since he wins all his games by himself. I also find it amusing when the trolls say injuries are no excuse for the habs losing,but then turns out to be a viable excuse for every other team,like the blues.

9. The Cat says:

I dont care for AK but I do think with the amount of wingers that have crapped out in MTL that its maybe due to the fact the centremen dont make them look better once in a while.

10. JF says:

If Boston beats Anaheim tonight, we’ll fall to 8th.

11. dh says:

I like AK46 as well but I don’t see why you need to diss Gomez?

I remember thinking last night that it was so obvious what he brings to the team after missing a couple of games.

IMO, JM should run Cammy, Pleks and AK46 on the fist line and Gionta, Gomez and MaxPax on the second.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Allowing an ES goal for every PPG goal, that was essential to the team indeed and he was only scoring those PPGs because Markov was quarterbacking the PP, like he did with Streit, Schneider and MAB, a succession of PP partners but the PP was always at the top of the league because Markov wsa running it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. The Cat says:

Id go with Iginla.

14. The Cat says:

You always whine about people being bigots when they dont like some european player. I hate everyone equally. I didnt care for MAB or Komisarek…Is your boyfriend russian or something?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering the way you ranted and raved about Vlad Malakhov last season (a player long departed from the team) when Markov was discussed, one can’t help but find connections between choosing to reference another Russian when you were putting out vitriol against Markov.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Scroll down for some great video highlights, especially the Turris shoot-out goal.

17. shiram says:

His first month of the season was pretty solid.

18. avatar_58 says:

How can anyone actively hate Markov?

19. mjames says:

I am a supporter of AK46 and believe he is one of our best players. The incessant bashing is so old now. Boone should give it a rest. Despite his blemishes 46 still is the superior passer on the team. How many times last night did Gomez carry the puck, stop after crossing the opponents blue line, and pass the puck to our D man on the other side . Not one of Gomez’s passes created a scoring chance. Look at the game Gomez created zero chances but Boone calls him “resurgent” . If AK made half the bad passes that Gomez makes he would be benched for good.

Who made the pass to Pleks that set up Cammy goal. It was AK46.  Boone , through his six degrees of separation” analytical technique, blames AK46 for basically everything bad on this team, including of course the AVS fist goal last night.  Look at Boone’s game logs he is always taking shot at 46. It will get to the point that if AK46 is dressed  he will be blamed for a goal.  AK46 unfortunately will go the same way as all the young players that have been driven out of Montreal. Maybe just maybe if AK46 was treated with some respect he might plan like he cares. Martin treats him as he treats Subban and O’Bryne.   It was shameful how O’Bryne was treated . AK46 is treated the same way. He will leave next year and will become a 40 goal scorer for team like the Bruins or the Flyers. Martin has his favorites and AK46 is not one of them. It is too bad because he is the best player on the team. Despite his inconsistent play he creates chances in very game he plays. That is something that cannot be said for Gomez, Gionta, Pax, Pouliot, Pleks, Cammy, Halpern, Laps, Moen, etc.

mjames

mjames

20. avatar_58 says:

Halak isn’t exactly stealing games at the moment for St Louis either. In fact when’s the last time we’ve heard his name?

Price let in one softie last night, that’s not a big enough excuse for the loss.

21. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Just for fun, I would like to know which of these options you guys would prefer seeing happen. Keep in mind, I do not necessarily believe the Habs can or will make these moves, but if they were to go all-in for a run this year and maximize the cap space they have with Markov being out, which would you prefer? I won’t speculate as to what it would take to get them, but obviously, let’s assume the deals would not completely gut our franchise’s depth.

Option one:

Acquire Jaime Langenbrunner and Ed Jovanovsky/Brian McCabe/Kevin Bieksa/any other top-4 defenseman

or

Option two:

Acquire Jarome Iginla

22. Hagar says:

We have been alright w/o Markov so far this season. Just imagine how awesome we’d be with him still in the lineup. We’d be 1st overall for sure.

23. HabFanSince72 says:

Except for the fact that Kaberle for a 1st would be insane (and would never happen since he needs to waive his NTC), I agree that our biggest problem is a lack of offence from the D.

If we had a time machine we could make Hamr and Spacek 5 years younger or PK 5 years older.

24. Everlasting1 says:

Pose that question towards the end of the regular season.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

25. Everlasting1 says:

Agreed. The D has been excellent at clearing the puck after the initial shot/save, eliminating secondary scoring opportunities. The biggest difference so far this year.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Would you trade Halak for Price straight up today?

27. Bugs says:

Bernard Hopkins on Team990 right now!

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

28. Everlasting1 says:

Any rookie with his ice-time can be as productive and tally a few assists from time to time, especially on Gionta’s line.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

29. shiram says:

Thats exactly what I was thinking actually, why not give Pouliot another try on a top line.
    Maybe keep AK on the pp, but otherwise im fine with trying that.

But you really have to wonder about AK, being this is contract year, and he is RFA at year’s end, and he is not playing up to his talent. If we get a playoff run, it could be crucial for him, but then maybe he’d be gone before the playoffs?

30. Bugs says:

Agree. Cuz there’s no way we can go into the playoffs with the D we have and expect to beat teams like Pitt and Washi…

Hey, waitaminnit…

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

31. The Cat says:

The team has done better without him -like it or lump it!

32. Bugs says:

Markov is invisible out there.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

33. adamkennelly says:

wouldn’t it be nice if the Habs had a big – hard hitting D man to work the corners aggressively and clear out the front of the net?

Habs were buzzing big time this game but their small forwards could not get good enough position on the big Avs D-men to capitalize…staying on the perimiter didn’t work…needs to be addressed – its obvious.

P.S.  AK needs to watch a few games from the press box.

34. Everlasting1 says:

Hot goalies happen.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

So says the biggest Markov-hater I’ve ever seen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

36. The Cat says:

The D is more than good enough. The team needs size down the middle more.

37. Bugs says:

My boy Poolio is gettin screwed playin 6 mins a game and thrown into the fray with bathplug partners juuust in time for rushes coming the other way. What the hell? Why play him at all at that point?

If K Senior is in dog-mode, how ’bout puttin my boy back on the top line? He had what, 5 minutes last time? Picked up a pt on a Plecky goal. 5 minutes.

Am I the only one who’s interested to see what he could do with 60mins on the top line?

What the hell? C’mon! The kid’s a friggin gem, ferpetessakes, and we got’m peelin potatas in the back.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

38. nunacanadien says:

This has got to be a white knuckle time for poor Pierre Gauthier, knashing his teeth wondering why Eller is not saving the team, and why he had to get rid of Halak?  Auld is not Halak that is for sure.  So you trade the winning hot goalie for what?  This is the rest of our year, while Price struggles, we struggle.  In fact Price struggles because the team is so small, when it meets bigger faster teams we struggle.  But the season looked promising only because of the rookies.  Now that we had to send them down, we see what we have signed, and it looks good only when the rookies are up from Hamilton to help change the lines.  We still have a mish mash, a hodge podge of shrimps, one tall guy and a bunch of average guys, and a hot and cold goalie.

39. Chuck says:

I’d suggest that the Capitals and the Penguins would beg to differ with your assessment of the Habs not deserving to be in the post-season.

The 2010 Montreal Canadians Christmas Card

Once again, J.T. nails it on the head.

41. avatar_58 says:

Benching had nothing to do with it, as he did it beforehand. He just needs to work on his game. His problem is that he’s too casual in situations that require more focus.

42. JF says:

Very good piece by Arpon Basu.  Most of us seem to agree we need help on defence, and suggestions are floating around as to who we should bring in.  We may have to add someone eventually, but for now, we have three young defensemen, one of whom is not playing.  Since his benching, Subban has played every game and is a -6, while Weber has played only once since Subban’s return.  Yet Weber has shown he’s ready and can help. I think they both need to play.  Subban will begin to improve and cut down the mistakes, but it will take time. Picard is also starting to make mistakes, but he’s also pretty young, as well as being new to the team.  I think J.M. should play all three young defencemen and rest the older guys from time to time.  By the time we reach the playoffs (if we do), the young guys should have improved, and the older guys won’t be too worn down.  But I wouldn’t play the younger guys together; put each with a veteran who can help cover mistakes.  We may still lose a few games because of defensive miscues, but down the stretch, we’ll be better.

Bill – Great post.  At the beginning of the year, we were looking at having our young players gain some valuable experience so that we could make a run for the Cup in a few years.  All of a sudden, a fast start and a hot goalie have us thinking about taking it all this season.  Alas, the injury to Markov may have just killed all hope of that happening.

I’m not raising a white flag, but maybe we should look for some kind of balance between the two trains of thought.  Let’s give the kids some ice while still trying to win our division.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Right, one playoff run versus him being the reason they make the playoffs in four of their 5 post-lockout seasons, that is a fantastic sample size. Take the axe you’re grinding about Vlad Malakhov and bury it. Markov has been an excellent Canadien since joining the team.

Worst part about being a hockey fan, only sport left in NA where people can seem to proudly get away with being bigots.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I’m not a huge Gomez fan but he played well last night.  He certainly moves the puck from one zone to another and creates some offensive muster.  I’d like to see him vary his bag of tricks but the guys around him have to take advantage of his great passes.

46. Mattyleg says:

He was doing it before his benching too.

Which is one of the reasons he got benched in the first place.

He’s a rookie. Defense is a position that improves with age. Look at Gill. Understanding the game and proper positioning are more important than speed and dyanamism, which PK has in spades.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. lenny says:

PK has lost a step since his benching…too many giveaways

48. HabFanSince72 says:

One thing we learned from last night is why Moen sometimes replaces AK46 on the top line.

49. avatar_58 says:

You know what amused me most? Gomez had a pretty good game and yet they still lost. Seriously, he moved the puck well, found his teammates, put should-be goals on sticks and even fired on net a few times (one which led to a rebound goal).

I hope he keeps that up

50. Storm Man says:

Here is a little update in the standings for the ESPN fantasy hockey leagues. Im only going to post the top 5 in each league as we have 20 teams in each, If someone wants to post the full standings feel free to do so.

HIO 2010.

1. K-Habs25 9-1

2.BleuBlancRouge 8-2

3. Cautiousop 7-3

4. Gandhi 6-4

5. Global Killers 6-4

HIO Unlimited.

1. Global Killers 10-0

2. Bill J 8-2

3. Kirbhabs 7-3

4. Erehwon Ruggers 7-3

5. Mtl Killer Queens 7-3

51. Bill H says:

I like Arpon’s suggestion that we break in Subban and Weber now, with Picard being used to give Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik a break now and then.  Those 3 veterans are well into their mid thirties and need to pace themselves so that they have something left for the playoffs.  And we will need some offence from Subban and Weber towards the end of the season.  They need to learn from their mistakes now, rather than sit on the bench.  I’ll gladly trade a few points in the standings for 2 youngsters with more experience and offence, along with 3 veterans with some gas in the tank come playoff time.

52. longtimehabsfan says:

4 of the last 5.

53. G-Man says:

Losing 3 of the last 4 does that.

Has “The Swoon” begun?

Too bad, too, because from what I saw they worked hard and just can’t score. Sound familiar?

54. Everlasting1 says:

What I’m saying is the Habs didn’t deserve to be in the post-season last year because they didn’t finish in the top 16.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Question of the Day: are Hab fans the most negative fans in the world, or is it only Hab fans who go on the Internet to discuss the team?

Stats comparing how we place in this 30 team league this week.

Goal Against—72,   We are in  2nd place.   Last week we were in  2nd place.

Total Points—-40,   We are in 12th place.   Last week we were in  5th place.

Goals For——-87,   We are in 19th place.   Last week we were in 17th place.

We had better get this ship turned around with some wins, before we drop to far down in the over all points standings.

57. Chuck says:

So what you’re saying is that the Flyers and Penguins aren’t great teams because all they do is beat up on the rest of the teams in the east…

The 2010 Montreal Canadians Christmas Card

58. Everlasting1 says:

What you fail to recognize is that most games played are within their respective Divisions, Conference.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

59. Chuck says:

If you’ll check out the NHL overall standings, you’ll notice that of the top-12 teams, 6 of them are from the East.

2 of the top 3 are fro the East, including Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, who have played two of the most dominating stretches of hockey in the entire league this season.

The 2010 Montreal Canadians Christmas Card

60. Seps says:

I never said anything about moving the puck…  You need defensive D as well.

61. LA Loyalist says:

Which cup is it we are winning this year?

too small, too soft, too intangible

62. newbrunswick troy says:

ok G-man i,ve got to know if spelling and punctuation mean everything in this form….i suck at spelling and punctuation, but graduated top of my class in mathmatics….that said guys like you make me feel scared to post my opinions here!!  So either lay off or help me figure out how to spell check in the post it forum!!

63. Everlasting1 says:

Forget the fact that the West is a tougher division and the Blues have been decimated with injuries.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

64. G-Man says:

Thanks, joey. Shouldn’t it be capitalized.

65. Hagar says:

Yes, maybe he’s part of the reason they lose. But when you have a firepower strapped team like Toronto, to say they’re really gonna miss him after this season wouldn’t be a hell of an understatement. It should be an interesting off-season for Toronto. So anyways, yeah. We still need help on D to win the cup this year before Markov returns & helps us win the cup again next year. Haven’t considered all the potential D options available. However, my vote goes towards picking up Bieksa. I’ve looked into this guy a little bit. He seems swell. Not sure what we should give up to land him. Picks? High ones? I think I’ll go off & start loudly cursing the loss of Markov again. It’s been a real kick in the nuts.

66. LA Loyalist says:

Good point – and Larry Murphy, as badly if not worse than Brisebois – Murphy then went to Detroit and won a cup.

67. joeybarrie says:

PLEASE…. The word is E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E. Not EVERY1….

Montreal has not ‘HARD’ a real star player for so long….

You know, when you correct others, you should probably not do the same………

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

68. mbplekfan says:

Fans have finally picked up on the idea that the defence is not very good. No matter what happened to Markov there were still issues.

Gill is slow, cant handle the puck and is one dimensional, with little toughness.

Hammer is aging, slow, and tires late in the game.

Spacek is aging, slowing down, prone to brain farts, and tires early in the game.

Gorges is very good defensively but produces no offense.

These are not well rounded hockey players. All four have issues that would restrict their minutes on a contender. None offer any physical presence or toughness in our own end, yet they form the core of our defence, even with Markov in the lineup.

Our forwards are not the issue at this point in time. Unless we get a consistent contribution on offense from the defensemen we are going to be a second tier team.

69. kempie says:

Sutters are already there.

70. CHsam says:

Everybody has to do potato-peelin’ duty at some point in JM’s kitchen.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Plus they also booed Hal Gill in TO, and he worked out OK.

72. longtimehabsfan says:

PK needs to simplify his game.  He can’t keep doing the dipsy doodle all over the ice.  He needs to pick his spots when to rush.  He’s spinning in his own end, in our own corners, at center ice, in the other teams zone.  There are four other teammates on the ice with him.  Make the safe play then join the play.  Between PK and Picard, there were numerous turnovers in our own end and center ice last night.  It killed us.  It’s time to put Weber in and sit Picard and assign both PK and Weber with veteran defenseman who can mentor them.

73. mbplekfan says:

You are right in that PK needs to stop the showtime and start playing the game. I think that’s what the time in the pressbox was about.

To this point in his career PK has been a dominant player. He could do it all by himself. The NHL doesnt work that way. He needs to learn how to play the team game. You almost never see him in a give and go situation with the forwards. Once he has the puck its all about him.

PK has great skills but nees to learn the game at the NHL level. The growing pains will continue and the press box isnt a great place to learn. Get used to good games followed by bad ones.

74. RiverviewCanadien says:

Well that loss sucked…

Laying blame on Kostitsyn is just silly, I agree, he has not looked like the early version they had, but using grinders on top lines is not a recipe for winning any culinary awards. Players go through rough spots (ummm Gomez ring a bell, Cammalleri?) but hey they are producing as of late and still received tons of ice time for the most part, as Andrei should as well, but maybe he should be getting that time elsewhere.

Play him or trade him. I just don’t want to see journeymen playing top line minutes, this to me is an indication the team is lacking some top 6 guys in the mix, I think they have the pieces, but I am not JM, I am not around the team in the room, at practice, etc. I would however play the game with the following lines.

Eller-Pleks-Camms
    Pacio-Gomez-Gionta
    Pouliot-Halpern-Darche
    Moen-Lapierre-Pyatt/White

Hamrlik-Spacek/Weber
    Subban-Gorges
    Gill-Picard/Weber

75. derfab says:

It seems that tough players with talent are very rare. That is why a number of our guys and other team’s medicre players still have NHL jobs. There are very few fighters who can keep up. When they can, they become too valuable to drop ‘em. We could really use 2 more sets of knuckles but I don’t see anyone interesting, besides Iginla. Langenbrunner would be welcome but I wouldn’t give up on AK for one playoff run.

76. Kooch7800 says:

Tough one last night.  Was not a bad game just didn’t capitalize on the opportunities. Time for a big game tomorrow!  If we can win the next two that would be a sweet way to head into the holidays.

Go habs Go!

77. mike g says:

For all of those who think this version of the Habs can go far this year, think again. Last nights game was a golden example and blueprint of this squad; we’ll go as far as oir goalies allow us to. Plain and simple. We generated minimal offensive chances vs a mediocre defensive team. And it seems our plan this year is to never score more than 3 goals, and pray that CP will only let in 2 or less. Colorado had allowed 21 goals in their past 6 or 7 games, yet our supposed 2nd place in the Eastern Conference team has a hard time scoring against them. Ill tell you what, weve got a nice team and an excellent goalie, but thats about it. Unless we trade for a gamebreaker or a solid goalscorer, theres not enough gas in our tank to bail us out. And holy crap, is markovs injury starting to sting a little or what??

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

78. Da Hema says:

Sobering points. Price must bring his A+ game for the Habs to win, but not even Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy played (or could play) an A+ game every night.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

79. CBrady12 says:

The game I watched we had several scoring chances but couldnt bury anything! oh well we are still 1st in our div. GO HABS GO!!

80. avatar_58 says:

Last time I said this I was raked over the coals. This is why we cannot play Auld – as it’s an automatic loss. Without those handful of “how the F did he save that?” stops by Price the game is over. It could have been much worse last night.

81. J_P says:

The habs do seem to always find a way to make the oppositions goalie look like a vezina candidate.

I made a statement a week back that we have solid defense, but I am starting to feel thats not entirely true.  Breaking up Gill and Gorges makes perfect sense.  You dont need a shut down D pairing in the regular season, and I think complimenting each of them with an offensive defensemen is the way to go.  Puck movement from the back end is a huge problem for this team.  Gomez shouldnt have to double back to carry the puck up the ice every play, the defense should be passing it up.  Doubling back just gives the opposition a chance to set up.

Gill and Gorges should be paired with weber and subban IMO.  That way every D pairing has a good puck mover.  It may take a little bit for them to adjust to each other, but in the long run I think it would be far more effective, at least in the regular season.  Gill and Gorges are both minus players because no offense is generated when they are on the ice.  Just my two cents.

82. Mattyleg says:

I don’t know, Mike, we’re not giving up as many shots as we did last season, and miracle of miracles, I actually saw Gomez take a few shots on goal last night!

Neither team had many shots in the first, and we put 15 on them in the third. Finishing is something that will come.

As for how our team measures up against the others, show me a team on which every player plays to 100%, and never makes mistakes. We are not perfect, but we make fewwer mistakes than any team in our division, and lots of others in the conference.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

83. Da Hema says:

The main difference between poor teams (e.g., Toronto) and great teams (e.g., Detroit) is talent. The difference between good teams (e.g., Montreal) and the top teams (e.g., Detroit) is mainly execution. I really was disappointed to read Gorges talking about the Habs not playing 60 minutes. Sounds eerily like the Carbonneau days all over again. While the team has definitely improved from a character perspective over the past two years, clearly there remain some passengers on this team. This team has to learn to take advantage of the opportunities it gets. At least the players aren’t whining about the officiating.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

84. CBrady12 says:

Why would I be grumpy about something I have no control over? School is done, Christmas is coming, a habs loss isnt gonna bring me down!

85. mrhabby says:

its interesting to see what posters think we need. its either a puck moving dman who is a stud or a stud with size down the middle. from all accounts it appears there is not much out there and it can be assured that we will have to give up something… so just saying be careful what you wish for as the price will be high either now or in Feb when teams will drive up the price it may not be what we thought.

ps..i like Regher from Calgary.

There is a lot being made about PK’s play of late, and there has been poor judgement on his part for sure, costing us games.

But what about Picard’s very poor play also, and the poor coaching for waiting all these games to break up the two of them as a pairing. These two players, playing together have cost us about two goals a game for some time now. It was obvious for a while that their styles did not compliment each other, to be kind.

It took until the 3rd period of last nights game, before Martin broke them up and put PK with Gill and Picard with Georges. Now lets just see if Martin has put them both with players that they can be successful with, before the trade deadline.

Last night we also gave up 3 offencive zone penalties costing us big time with poor discipline.

The season is still young and we have a very good team, but we must play and coach a much more productive game, to get to the next level.

Stay tuned for our weekly stats, that tell us where we place now in this 30 team league.

87. J Haul says:

I actually agree with this. There were plenty of golden opportunities to pull even. Sometimes a team doesn’t get the bounces. Not every loss is a reason for the doom and gloom act. That was a very winnable game, right up until the dying seconds, but those games happen sometimes.

88. Mattyleg says:

That was a frustrating but very entertaining game.

I’m glad about the way we played overall, just have to minimize those turnovers is all. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that PK is making mistakes; he’s a rookie. He’s going to get used to the fact that his outlet passes that worked so well in the juniors will be read much more easily at the NHL level.

I liked our fight-back as well. We never gave up, which has been a good sign from this team, as compared to the ‘old’ team of 05-09. We believe that we can win every game, and we play that way. The Avs are on fire recently, and Anderson played out of his skin.

Let’s get some points this road-trip!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

89. homerbowen says:

I don’t have any confidence in JM’s coaching. He ruined O’Byrne (for the Habs) and he will do the same with PK. We still have too many tiny players and some slugs. Disgrace losing to a bunch of young kids and things look scary in Dallas and Carolina.

Merry Christmas to all (BAA HUMBUG)

90. Mattyleg says:

Yawn.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

91. longtimehabsfan says:

I am a NY Giants fan.  But the Habs are my #1 team and I was hoping for a win to take the sting off the football loss.  Unfortunately, the Habs only came to play 20 mins of hockey.  JM doesn’t know what to do with his lines.  And we are anemic on offense.  Looking at Colorado’s GF and GA you would have thought it would have played into the Habs defensive style.  But the defensemen were out of position frequently; the forwards didn’t come back for the first two periods and Carey Price could have stopped the 2nd and 3rd goals.  On the second he got caught in the indecisive position of looking to poke check the puck and the shot went under his arm.  On the third, he batted the puck into four players instead of catching it.  This team has very little margin for error.  And the Stars are playing very good hockey.  And so are the Canes.

92. joshua94k says:

From the Toronto Star:

The Canadiens are “a despicable and dirty little hockey team that loves to dish out nasty cheap shots, often from behind, often after the whistle,” Boston Herald writer Stephen Harris said in a story published Friday.

The Toronto Star reiterates a non-issue, non-story, based on sour grapes from a disgruntled journalist. Why don’t they publish a story about The Montreal Gazette reporting about the bias coverage of HNIC with Bruins fans Milbury and Stock commenting on the game.

93. sailor2963 says:

Nice to hear that O’Byrne is doing well with the Avalanche.  It sounds like he is playing the way he did in Hamilton, hard hitting stay at home D.