Road trip continues in Big D

Don’t look now, but your Montreal Canadiens are in a December Dive: 3-5-1 this month.

And the Stars await.

Kirk Muller plays bad cop

Avs trying to win back fans

• Pierre Ladouceur’s Habs report card

• JT on the absence of Markov

The red-hot Thrashers win again. Stu Hackel on Atlanta and Colorado

Should the Devils trade Martin F.?

1. VancouverHab says:

Well said. (Except now my flashbacks will return & I’ll wake up screaming like back over there.)

2. VancouverHab says:

No way. I wouldn’t trade Alex Henry for Bieksa.

3. SmartDog says:

I loved Recchi.  When he was up for grabs I was wishing he’d come back.  I knew he was one of those guys who age wouldn’t stop.  He has an intensity you can’t teach – or stop.

4. The Cat says:

I agree with you. I especially thought the habs would be extra patient with a 6’5 defenseman, heck I even called Obyrne a keeper last year, guess I was wrong.

5. ooder says:

bored much lol

88 is the new 23

6. Oddball says:

Moot……….just kidding. 😉

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

7. habs001 says:

pouliot and ak46 are not clutch goal scorers..when the team needs a big goal they rarely produce..martin rather have non goal scorers in tight games as they are less likely to cause a goal on a defensive mistake…

8. krob1000 says:

can’t get a pickle out of an arse glued to a bench…if anything it might add splinters to an already troubled arse!

9. avatar_58 says:

I’m getting really sick of watching Martin bench rookies over mistakes, instead of working with them. Funny how easily Obyrne listens when he has steady ice time, versus being benched over a simple penalty or bad pass isn’t it?

Maybe it’s me, but I would rather see us work through Subban’s issues than play guys like Picard who have no future here. Sorry, the guy’s a free agent we signed for 1 year. At best he moves on to a raise on some other team at the end of year. Weber and Subban are the prospect rookies.

Picard was playing very well which justified keeping him in, but he’s been terrible the last few games. Subban has also had some brutal plays. To me it’s obvious, bench the UFA and play Weber. Don’t give me this left/right side BS either, I’m not suggesting Subban and Weber play on the same pairing. Each should be paired with a vet.

But nah, let’s bench him. Worked wonders last time.

10. habs001 says:

we have to realize that the line up we have will be in the bottom 15 in the nhl in scoring..last year we were 23rd…this year will not be much better…martin knows there will be very few nights when we give up 3 or more goals and we win..even when trailing by one goal after two it is very rare that we can come back…of the top 18 teams in the nhl only nashville has scored fewer goals than the habs…

11. TommyB says:

Fair enough statement.  But I might disagree as to the degree of drop-off in the players who you have listed as being unwisely disciplined by JM.  There are times when a player needs to get the pickle out of his arse as well.  And sulking because of being disciplined, or singled out, by the coach, is one of those times.  Two-way street.

12. Price_Is_Right says:

I Know I don’t get it, Subban needs development not benching! Put him on a line with Hal Gill it’s just plain logics.

13. alestar says:

The Habs have not had a bonafide SUPERSTAR in their line-up since the Patrick Roy trade and the last offensive superstar we had wore # 10…

XXIV…and counting

14. ctony says:

We’re in a 17 year lul, I could 10 games standing on my head.

15. avatar_58 says:

And Picard still plays? Huh?

16. HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t defend that trade, but Recchi was one of our best players when he was here. I think he was always the top scorer on the team (or very close) and made the all-star team each year.

17. ctony says:

Richer was the last player we drafted that scored 80 points in Habs uniform.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Bieksa? No thanks. Seen him play the last two times VAN was unceremoniusly dumped out of the playoffs by CHI, he wasn’t exactly doing much for the team.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

19. smiler2729 says:

AK46 doesn’t play like a top 6 player. Plug Pouliot or anybody in there, a callup, whatever, Bieksa’s a hard nosed solid defenceman. Both these guys need a change of scenery.

20. Mats Naslund says:

I guess my problem with it is that teams with pluralised names are never referred to as a singular unit without specifying as such.

ie. “The Canadiens organisation is trying to improve.”

“The Canadiens are trying to improve” is used.

The Avalanche is a team name commonly referring to a collective of people (just like the Canadiens), so to refer to it in the singular without specifying that you’re referring to the Organization as a singular entity defies conventional use.

21. Malreg says:

Hate to tell you, but every Stanley Cup winner from the past 5 seasons or so had a point in the year where they won the cup that they were struggling mightily, had a “lul”.  They showed the stat on TSN last night.  I don’t remember the exact numbers but when Detroit won the cup in 08, they had a stretch of 10 games without a win.  Pittsburgh the year after also had a stretch of something like 2-8-1, same for Chicago last year.

They were discussing that maybe that’s why Washington has done horribly in the playoffs the last 2 years.  They just cruised through the regular season with no adversity, then went out in the 1st or 2nd round.

22. habs001 says:

when the majority of the games are tied or are one  goal differences in the third it does not take a lot to go on a bad streak…in close games you could be playing well but as we have seen one or two plays in the whole game can cost you. as long as we make the playoffs the position the team finishes will have little impact…best way to make the playoffs is to win the division….

23. scrowe21 says:

So that would leave a big whole in our top 6 for an average yet pretty expensive defensemen. You really want Moen back in the top lines again? 😐

Someone suggested AK and a pick to LA for Simmonds. That I would like to see. I know he’s not a top 6 forward yet, but hes still young and put up 40 points in his second nhl season. Hes a hard working gritty player with a nice shot, and I think he’d put up a lot more points playing with Cammy and Pleks. He could do what Maxpac is trying to do for the little G’s. Create space for them by hard forechecking and hitting, going to the he drops the gloves to protect his teammates.

24. ctony says:

For the umpteenth time, JM is behind Carbo, Julien, Vigneault and Demers by winning percentage.  He’s marginally ahead of Therrien and I don’t consider Tremblay.  He’s an average coach.

His prefers veterans and plays a conservative system.  Don’t expect great player development with him.

25. cautiousoptimist says:

You’re right to a point, but if lousy Habs routinely excel elsewhere, and good players come here to suck, there’s a pretty strong argument that it’s not all on the players…

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  26. smiler2729 says:

That smiler2729 eh! He’s a great bunch of guys!!

…help me.

…Christmas stress (cue Napoleon XIV, They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!)

27. cautiousoptimist says:

I think we need to address the real heart of the matter here: collective nouns make stupid names for sports teams. : )

28. smiler2729 says:

You’re right on, Smiler, from the sun belt expansion to the lockout to the shootout to the Coyotes crap, you are soooo right, you handsome, debonair hockey mind, you!

29. ooder says:

ohh i also misread your post.. my bad.. i agree it sounds weird reading it the way Mr. Hickey wrote it

88 is the new 23

30. G-Man says:

At least the rants against Martin are good for a laugh.

It’s the players. The scorers are below average and the D is average. The leaves the goalie stuck playing 2.00 GAA or his team loses. The lack of scoring on the Habs has been going on since the 90’s. Not once have they managed to rectify it. Players come here and get 30. On any other team, they get 40.

John Leclair is treated like a bust in Montreal. He gets traded WITH Eric Dsjardins to Philly and both kick ass while Recchi barely makes a dent. Not since Damphousse have the Habs had anyone near 95 to 100pts. Sad, really, that we keep expecting it and the players don’t deliver the goods.