Road trip continues in Big D

Don’t look now, but your Montreal Canadiens are in a December Dive: 3-5-1 this month.

And the Stars await.

Kirk Muller plays bad cop

Avs trying to win back fans

• Pierre Ladouceur’s Habs report card

• JT on the absence of Markov

The red-hot Thrashers win again. Stu Hackel on Atlanta and Colorado

Should the Devils trade Martin F.?

1. krob1000 says:

……and we are undefeated on tuesdays in november where the following thursday is a crescent moon and the wind is Northeastern and the temperature is above 41 degrees farenheit over teh last 71 years…….that is the most irrelevant response I have seen….what is our record since PK’s benching? Did Gomez find teh immunity idol in October and not tell anyone…..are there multiple idols and they were all coincidentally found by vets who are keeping it on the down low…..Rumour has it Spatch, Gomer, Gill< Hammer are all packing immunity idols and JM is just unable to do anything to them so he instead hurts them where it counts…on the ice….he isntead clips the wings of their tribesmen and punsihes them that way…that’s it….or at least that is about as relevant as that Gomez stat…..

2. smiler2729 says:

Proofread police alert: “lenny” should have a capital ‘L’ as in “Lenny” and of course, “there” should be used instead of “their”… just sayin’

3. smiler2729 says:

You’re right, it should read “The Avalanche ARE trying to lure…” and “The Avalanche HAVE solved one problem”.

But within 25 years it’ll all be mute anyways, everything will be LOL, brb, c u l8ter… english is getting mangled beyond belief, sad.

4. Mats Naslund says:

I’m not talking about pluralising the proper name. I’m saying the sentence should read “The Avalanche ARE” instead of “The Avalanche IS“. Or “The Avalanche HAVE” instead of “The Avalanche HAS”.

5. Bill says:

Thank you for bringing this up. Grammatically and logically, it would make much more sense to consider a sports team’s name as a collective noun, just as “the nation” or “the public” or “the corporation” is. A sports team’s name embodies a group acting as a single entity, which is pretty much the definition of a collective noun. Usually, a collective noun will take a singular verb, especially when it refers to the action of the group as a whole.

That said, while it makes sense to say, “The team is in the dressing room”, it sounds very odd to say, “The Canadiens is in the dressing room”. This is an example, I believe, where the sound of the words must override the grammatical rule.

However, I don’t mind if someone wants to say, “The Avalanche is looking …” or ” … has found.” It’s actually the more correct construction.

Full Breezer 4 Life

6. smiler2729 says:

don’t forget the NBA’s Miami Ego, er, Heat

7. smiler2729 says:

AK46 for Bieksa, straight up, let’s do it

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Or the Hurricane versus the Thrasher?

(sounds like a WWE match, which would be a wet dream for Bettman…then he could really tap into that oh so desirable market in Alabama)

9. krob1000 says:

I like the defensive detail….just not the constant double standard.  JM/PG/BG  in a sense have done what they set out to do and that was to change the culture of the team and employ a team strategy and awareness…I love that aspect but he is poisoning his own delicious meal when he does this and someone has to stop it.  Surely he doesn;t believe that it is his treatment of the kids that is making it successful….it is the fact that he has vets buying in plain and simple….but the vets are actually making more mistakes or at least the same amount IMO as teh kids…so why is it the kids get punished…..I know the deal with pecking order etc but that isn;t really true on the ice…unless it is a rare circumstance like overstaying a pp,etc….everyone has an equal responsibility to backcheck, not turn pucks over,etc…that is a team.  I don;t want Martin fired…I want him coached too…even the shrinks need shrinks sometimes and I don;t know if we have anyone in the organization to do that and I am not sure if Muller says antyhing.  The other thing is that maybe Muller and JM are so far ito teh situation that they allow off ice maturity and what not to affect their opinions….which is natural…but someone has to be able to look from the outside and see that our success lives and dies with our youth and how tehy compliment our vet corps.  Frustrating and smothering them is not something that I see helping any of them….I have seen a decline in Pouliot, Subban and Andrei and even Picard and Pyatt since their punishments…..same happened to Boyd who looked real good in the preseason.  I have seen nowexample of this working yet…aside from Price who is in a whole diff’t catergory and was simply being outplayed and not focussing …the other guys all had success and then  one slip up caused their wheels to bepulled out from under them….it is not right Tommy…JM is not a bad coach but his in game discipline is over the top and hypocrtical and I can;t see many people on the butt end of it embracing it or playing better as a result…..and the frustrating thing is the defensive benefits to martin have been great…but JM needs to get the pickle out his arse when it comes to kids.

10. joeybarrie says:

So you want to fire the most successful coach the Montreal Canadiens have had in 17 years? After making the Eastern Conference Finals and currently being number one in our division? All done without our number one player for the most part… Does this make any kind of sense? Do you think that having the most experienced coach currently in the NHL and despite the fact he is winning and leading this team to levels we have not had since our last cup, firing him with less than half of his contract up, would maybe not help us sign new coaches? Who would want to sign with Montreal when they would get fired for being number three in the league DIRECTLY after going to the Eastern Finals????

JM wants his players to be able to play a certain type of game. This is the type of game that has lead us where we are currently. If you cannot play that style of game, you have to sit. It’s simple.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. newbrunswick troy says:

J.T said it right to a tee….the habs are in desperate need of a top 4 scoring d-man who can gain the zone ..via skilled pass.   I hope P.G isn,t going to wait and spend Markovs cap money later at trade deadline..they need to shake things up now….I for one don,t agree with people who say its just there normal December lul……….Stanley cup contenders don,t have Luls…yes they lose some games but they don,t have LULS!!!!!!!!!!

12. Max_a_million says:

I think JM has two great strengths.  (1) Attention to detail (2) Even Keeled and dispassionate

A coach with too much passion in Montreal will hurt the team and himself very quickly.  A loss is a loss, big deal.  The media and fans are already crazily the sky is falling suicidal everytime the team loses.  The last thing we need is a coach riding the waves of passion as well.

Carbo was a little too passionate, and I think that was his downfall here.

There is too much scrutiny, too much media, too much internet, too many fans at practices, too many arm-chair GM’s and coaches, just much too much.  Slow and steady will win this race.  Yes JM has failings in dealing with players, but every coach does.  Each individual responds to different unique stimuli.  The cream of the crop will rise regardless …  Some of the also rans can be coaxed into being contributors with the right coaching, but those with the drive and fortitude to be great will be great of their own volition.

Do you think all of his players loved Scotty Bowman?  Responded to Scotty Bowman?

Off the top of my head Marc Tardif played for Scotty Bowman, and was a number 2 overall pick.  He was a 50 pt player every year.  I know there are worse examples.

Perfection is too much to ask of anyone.  Success is a pretty darn good result.

13. Bugs says:

You mean like the Minnesota WildS and Tampa Bay LightningS?

I wouldn’t mind. Should be good for a laugh.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

14. TommyB says:

Coaching is the Habs problem?  Okay, let’s change the coach.  Now, tell me, how many more goals is that going to translate into from the same roster of players?  Players who are happy with their coach are going to be more productive?  That would be just plain speculation, and I doubt it would improve this team’s offence.  And, you had better hope that this new coach is going to have the team playing as responsible defensively as Martin has them playing.

15. ooder says:

well the avalanche along with the lightning, wild and utah jazz is a rare bread of sports teams whose name doesnt end with an “s”

——————

88 is the new 23

16. joeybarrie says:

The Montreal Canadiens have won ONE game without Gomez in the past 2 years…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

17. joeybarrie says:

I don’t want to take anything away from Price. He is BRILLIANT. BUT:

Last season our shots for average was 28.6 and against 32.1. This season 31.7 for and 30.5 against.

The save percentage difference from Price this season and Halak last season was .05%. Very very similar.

Also not to take anything away from Halak, but the Habs last season during the playoffs finally played into Martin’s system. This made the shots against much easier to stop. Now both Halak and Price have had their fair share of spectacular saves. But in the end I have to say that a very large portion of the dangerous shots are being blocked by our guys and the ones that get thru and from further out and seem less dangerous to me. Sometimes I want the bombardment of shots in a particular period and think back to not being very nervous about being scored upon. It just seemed like only a fluke or soft goal would get through.

Now even though I like my stats, they don’t tell the whole story. I have to say that if you take an extra 3 shots and have 2 fewer the 5 shot swing at the end of a 82 game season makes a big point. At an average of 1 goal for every 15 shots thats a 27 goal difference. one goal difference for every 3 games. Go back and see what kind of difference that makes in getting to overtime, and winning the game instead of going to overtime.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. lenny says:

Is Their a market for AK46?

19. nick says:

Haha, missed that one. Good catch.

20. Mats Naslund says:

This is supremely picky of me, but I can’t let it go.

Mr. Hickey’s story on the Avalanche, on two occasions, refers to the team in the singular.

ie. “The Avalanche is trying to lure fans back..” and “The Avalanche has solved one problem…”

I could absolutely be wrong.. but shouldn’t the team and organisation be referred to in the plural – even though the proper name is not pluralised. The team name in both cases refers to a group of people.

Later in the article, a reference to the Dallas Stars is pluralized “Tonight’s opponents, the Dallas Stars, are also winning”.. I noticed that the other day and then again today.

Am I losing my marble(s)?

21. krob1000 says:

but he is developing all of these guys defensively amazingly but he needs to give some leeway offensively and find a happy medium…but he won’t.  I think in his mind offenser willt ake care of itself as long as the team plays their best defensively….sort of makes sense but not when you factor in that the other team plays pretty good d too and you need to take chances sometimes to score goals…..I still don;t think Subban ever did anything on ice to warrant his treatment of late….he had one game where a couple of his chances backfired…the slide was illa dvised but I am sure he probably thoght he would at least take that guy out with the slide …oh well.  Since then he has looked nervous, tentative, and not the same player he was before.  I think Eller has been great this year but like OB last year every time he turns the puck over he gets benched despite doing more little things right than many of the vets…..then the vets dow hat they want and go unpenalized…it is not a great environment for the kids …. it is the ol do as I say not as I do……it is a tough sell. It would be great if someone on the team would just tell JM to lossen up because the guys have bought in….tehy don;t need to see a kid sat every night to keep the ball rollin…they get it now…..let them play and move on…when anyone messes up, point it out after the game, or quietly on the bench, see if tehy correct it next time…sometimes it may take a few times…..but it is getting frustrating seeing guys like POuliot, Eller, PK and Andrei in this situation.  When any three of those 4 were playing well we were contending for top spot in the NHL, when they are not……

22. ctony says:

I agree.  I don’t see Weber as a good D partner for PK at this stage.  Which leaves Gill, Hamr, Spacek or Georges (my preference).

23. Max_a_million says:

or even the injustices …

24. smiler2729 says:

Just in case anyone needs a reminder, GARY BETTMAN SUCKS ASS.

25. TommyB says:

krob I know what people are referring to when they label JM as old school, but I don’t mind you taking the time to explain it to me, as you usually do make sense and this time is no different.  However, and you are quite right when you point to the vets not being treated the same way, like it or not there is a pecking order in the NHL.  It may be true that new thinking is starting to take hold, but it is far from being the dominant direction that some think it is.  And I’m speaking of at the NHL level.  Go down through minor hockey systems, junior level, and minor pro…and you will find many coaches who are among that newer, philosophical, if you will, way of coaching.  But in the NHL this has not taken a firm hold yet, and it will take quite some time longer still.  Hockey coaching, (any sport actually), is an evolution of sort.  When it comes to the NHL evolving, it can take as long as the evolution of man.  And you know how long it has been since we first crawled out of the sea.  So while I don’t necessarily disagree with some people’s view towards old school coaches like Martin, I don’t have the same problem with it that some do.  Martin is a good coach.  He may not be what some percieve to be as the ideal coach.  But, who is?  I gave the example of Clouston in Ottawa further down the posts here, and if I took the time, I’m sure I could come up with a few others.

26. Max_a_million says:

So, I was looking at the average age of players to see where we stood in the league.

I think this is the beginning of the year, so we are younger than this currently with Markov being replaced by our young defencemen.  What surprised me most was how many bad old teams there are Calgary, New Jersey, Ottawa, Florida, Minnesota, Buffalo  … that would be discouraging.

#   Team   Average
    26 ANA  28.8
    27 OTT  28.8
    28 NJD  29.0
    29 CGY  29.7
    30 DET  31.0
  27. ctony says:

Carbo had a better record as Habs coach and better career record than JM.

28. ctony says:

Whether or not PK plays, this is just JM preference for a team of conservative veterans over young players.  Fewer mistakes, less upside.

Again, JM is the right coach for an older team.  Not the coach for player development.

Gainey picked JM and signed players that suited his style.  Guys like PK, AK, Pouliot, Patches (specially last year), Eller, OB, are not JM types.  That’s why they get shifted from line to line (or D-pairing), sit out games and get called out in the media; while players like Spacek, Gill, Hamr, Gomez and others are given time to find their game and rarely chastised publicly.

PG and BG choose this route.  People just need to fall in line behind them or complain from the outside (likely for a long time) that they would prefer a different approach.

29. habsruleworld says:

“JM has to go” ??

no offense, But Fack your Stupid eh!