RFA-offer deadline looms for GM Bergevin

P.K. Subban

Restricted free-agent Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban

Not exactly a St. Jean Baptiste holiday for Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin, whose work is turned up a notch today with a 5 pm ET deadline for extending qualifying offers to the team’s group of restricted free agents.

Bergevin told reporters at the weekend draft in Pittsburgh that he hoped to sign all of his RFAs this coming week, admittedly a tall order, thus clearing his plate for work on the UFA market which opens next Canada Day Sunday. You’ll remember that Bergevin last week elected to take goalie Carey Price to salary arbitration, thus heading off an offer-sheet ambush by any other club.

Here’s a look at the Canadiens contract situation, at capgeek.com.

We’ll keep you posted throughout the day with news, as it develops, from the Habs front office.

And watch this space for news, schedule of events, etc., on the highly anticipated development camp in Brossard this coming Thursday through Saturday, featuring the prospects drafted by the Canadiens over the weekend. The club is expected to announce details of the camp on Tuesday.

1. frontenac1 says:

Weber and Diaz again?!! Get ready for more Clusterf#*#* in the Blue Paint!!

2. frontenac1 says:

Jeeze,out on the road most of today listening to NHL network on Sirius XM.Totally Useless! Still blabbing about the draft! So do we still have Swiss Cheese? Is Blunden still on board?(I hope) I figure PK,White and Paloosh are still with us ….Oh man ,I wish Team 990 was available down here!

3. Lizardking89 says:

According to Mcguire the Penguins dominated the draft. Every time I hear him babble I have the uncontrollable urge to roll my eyes.

4. habstrinifan says:

With Diaz qualified whose higher in the depth chart…Diaz or Weber?

I really dont want a crowded blueline of same type guys next season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yannick Weber is actually signed, for what that’s worth. I think they’re neck and neck based on their play. Raphaël Diaz seems more headsy, ready and effective, but Yannick Weber holds more promise due to his offensive instincts. If we have an undersized defenceman, it might as well be the guy who is an offensive specialist as opposed to an all-rounder.

5. twilighthours says:

Pssst… New thread up

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks. I hate when they pull that one on us.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 24: Travis Moen
      June 26: Mathieu Darche
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 5: Carey Price
      July 9: P.K. Subban

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

RFAs qualified: PK Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash and Frederic St-Denis as well as forwards Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist

7. commandant says:

Looks like Blunden, Bishop, Conboy, Fortier, Masse, Mitera, Slaney, and Nokelainen were all let go.

No surprises IMO.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

8. bleublancrouge says:

Slacking! Habs qualify 10 as per website

9. Ozmodiar says:

Angelo Esposito, anyone? Anyone?

10. Hobie Hansen says:

If the Canadiens decide that a top 4, physical, stay-at-home defenseman is a little too pricy or come up short in their search I hope they take a look at Sheldon Brookbank for a 5th or 6th, bottom paring guy.

He played 16mins a game, was +11 when other defenders on the Ducks like Beauchemin (-24) and Fowler (-28) struggled even strength.

I realize Brookbank wasn’t playing against the opposing teams’ top lines as much but he still looks pretty good.

He hits, fights and overall looks like an upgrade over Weber, Diaz and probably Kaberle (defensively).

If we don’t get a top 4 guy, or even if we do, I wouldn’t mind Brookbank as our 6th D at all!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t really know him, so my vote is for Shane O’Brien, who did relatively well in Vancouver, if you discount his exploits at the Roxy, for which I don’t blame him one bit. I’ve been there a few times with a group of coworkers and we had a great time, I can only imagine what it’d be like if you were there as a Canuck with a few teammates.

Anyway, good team guy, fans love him, maybe 3rd pairing skill but frontline heart, tough, teammates love him. Sign him up for a couple years.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Yup. I’ve said it before and will again, this year’s UFA market is all aboutThird and fourth liners and bottom three Dmen. Skip right past Parise and Suter go straight to the McClemments, the Brookbanks, the Tootoos, etc….

• habstrinifan says:

I think Colorado will resign McClements but may be willing to part with Shane O.Brien. I have been preaching those 2/3rd tier players too. I think Habs can afford Brookbanks and O’Brien. But they have to act early while these players are kinda under the radar. Look at Brookbank’s stats for example… quite good but no one, except me, talks about him.

• Ozmodiar says:

>but no one, except me, talks about him.

HH says ‘hi’. :)

• habstrinifan says:

I posted re Brookbanks with all his stats months and months ago. As well I have been saying MB will let go Mitera and probably be in on Simon Danis-Pepin a quebec boy (huge) whom he would have followed in the Chicago system.
            Looks like Mitera is gone.

• HabFab says:

Hi yourselves :D

11. HabFab says:

Renaud Lavoie reports the players up with the Habs got their qualifying offers last week.

12. aj says:

Its 5pm, now what!

13. HabFab says:

For giggles and chuckles…one guess
    Who is representing the Hab players in the NHLPA?

14. Un Canadien errant says:

Follow the link for a quiz on the Canadiens.

Missed…
    You haven’t answered correctly to all ten questions.

Your score: 8 / 10

So I didn’t get a perfect score, and missed out on the ‘price’: a copy of the team magazine signed by none other than Mike Blunden! (No joke.)

See if you can do better, with the caveat that you can’t research the answers online, it’s not an open-book test. Unless you don’t want to miss out on the prize…

15. TomNickle says:

Ondrej Pavelec may have just set this year’s market for goaltenders with a five year deal that has a cap hit of $3.9 million annually.

I’m betting Price gets anywhere from $4.75 million to $5.25 million.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s good news for us and our chances to sign Carey at a reasonable cost, it pulls the tug-of-war rope in a sane cap-saving direction compared to Pekka Rinne’s deal.

This is a really affordable deal for the Jets, especially with the KHL sabre-rattling from the Ondrej Pavelec camp. They need to be able to keep their homegrown stars to survive, since they’ll have difficulty attracting free agents.

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s a pretty good deal for the Jets. Pavalec played well for them last year. With him being offered a good sum to play in the KHL, he and his agent could have probably made life very miserable for the Jets. It’s nice to see guys who don’t act like mercenaries and try to squeeze every last penny out of their team.

Hope Price’s deal is also reasonable and favourable for the Habs as a team.

• kbhab4ever says:

Habs had a great draft .
      I wanted Galchenyuk,really think he is best of draft.
      Price will get (imo) 6 millon per,Subban-4 to 5 per,Moen 2-3 per,Eller around the same.
      I think T.BOZON, will play in NHL as will Collberg, Thower BUT I really like BOZON. GREAT DRAFT !!!
      Lets bring in Parenteau, & B. Ryan, OR maybe ( if they really half to )Semin,Radulov,A. Kostitsyn

• Sean Bonjovi says:

It will be interesting to see whether players like Price (RFAs approaching UFA status) and their agents will be anxious to sign long-term deals under this CBA, or if they think it’s to their advantage to wait until next summer. There is the potential for an across-the-board-roll-back like we saw after the last lock-out and it would be nice to sign for $X, and not $X minus 10% or 20%, but there could also be some modification to the salary cap like we see in the NBA and NFL that allow teams to protect some players, or ones that limit contracts lengths to only a few years.

• boing007 says:

But is he worth it? I think not.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

16. christophor says:

The Blunden comments are creeping eerily close to Konopka ridiculousness.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll risk creeping you closer, but you’re making an inept comparison. Mike Blunden is an asset we own right now that we can retain at modest cost, as opposed to having to overpay like we would have done for Zenon Konopka. Further, Mr. Blunden does bring a set of tools and abilities that we were lacking last season. He plugs a hole in the roster while we let the rookies mature for a full season in Hamilton. Finally, there’s a small chance that a young large-sized player like him needed that extra time to develop, and finally puts it all together this season and finds some finish around the net and a role he can fulfill on the team. Low risk, low cost solution to one problem, and a chance at a payoff this season or beyond. Can’t lose by qualifying him.

17. Habs1996 says:

got a site for news and all?

Out of curiousity does anyone know if Artyukhin is signed with SKA St. Petersburg for the upcoming season in the KHL?

19. Sean Bonjovi says:

A kid named Scott Oke went un-drafted again this year. I’d love to see the Canadiens offer tryouts to guys like him.

20. commandant says:

Any word on who we have qualified?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters