Revised Canadiens prospects list

beaulieu 1

Hockey’s Future has published its latest list of Canadiens prospects.
Nathan Beaulieu, chosen in the first round of the most recent draft, has shot to the top of the list.

A caveat on HF’s credibility: they’ve got Alexei Yemelin below Jarred Tinordi, which is preposterous.

Pat Hickey on rookie camp

Dan K thinks the Canadiens will win the Northeast

What to do with DD

Scott Cullen’s Top 300 Fantasy picks (Tomas Plekanec is the highest Hab … at 61st)

Did Lucic hit his girlfriend?

Players now leery of KHL

Adam Proteau’s Top 10 storylines (none involving the Canadiens)

Fantasy players to avoid

TGIF video has Mike Cammalleri talking fitness:

1. Southern Hab says:

The Lucic story: ‘It’s gold Jerry, gold’

2. SyntaxLove says:

After mock drafting for hours I finally have my strategy down.

Chinchillin’

Pisses me off that you I have to get up at 7 tomorrow to get into that so called waiting room for tickets. No consideration for the folks out west.

4. punkster says:

Wow gotta tell ya folks just finished watching Alien again for like the 26th time and like well it was always one of my favs ya know not quite as high on the list as Lawrence of Arabia or Dr Strangelove or Apocalypse Now but up there ya know but I’ll say this much I’m real sorry and I mean REAL sorry I missed all the kerfuffle and hullabaloo and well the good clean fun generated by the Bugs comments tonight so next time will ya please give me some sort of advance warning like an email or text or some such modern form of communication so I can join in the fun

Punctuation sucks

***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. OneTimer says:

Is Dr. Givelos accepting new patients?

6. savethepuck says:

Going on-line in the morning to try and buy tickets @ the Bell for Superbowl Weekend. Having an argument with my brother, I think I want tickets behind the Canadien’s bench and will have a good view of the ice surface. He thinks that those seats will be obstructed by the coaches and players standing up. Any help on this would be very much appreciated because I think that row behind the bench is a bit higher than the bench level.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

QMJHL Action:

Nathan Beaulieu, the only NHL drafted guy remaining on his team that hasn’t already left for a rookie camp was with the Saint John Sea Dogs as they were hammered 8-1 by Acadie-Bathurst. He was not on the ice for a single GA though so don’t blame him.

Morgan Ellis with Cape Breton went +1 in his team’s opener, a 3-1 win over the Moncton Wildcats.

Michael Bournival had a goal in his first game of the season and went 11/16 in the faceoff circle, he was on the ice for three of his team’s four goals in a 6-4 loss to Rouyn-Noranda.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• savethepuck says:

I live in Saint John and I admit I don’t go to a lot of their games, but with 1 of our top prospects there now I guarantee I will be seeing more of their games this year. Doesn’t hurt that they are defending Memorial Cup Champs. For the sake of Saint John, I hope Huberdeau doesn’t stay with the Panthers this year.

8. caladin says:

Bugs is trolling guys, don’t rise to that bait.

just logged back on, glad your around Bugs, was getting worried bud.

10. Bugs says:

Chor, you’re right, I’ll gladly bow to those higher up in the field of chemistry than me and maybe I’m totally missing the complexity of the whole process.
    But surely, the BATTERY could generate the electric current, no?
    And not only does hydrogen burn cleaner, but I was led to believe it is just as efficient as petroleum.
    And what about thermal depolymerization? It’s a proven process. We transform garbage into gas, gasoline, and what, carbon pellets? We can empty our landfills and solve the energy crisis at the same time.
    Why don’t the big oil companies decide to…ooohhh, right.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

11. Wheels says:

Woywitka needs a chance in my opinion. He was averaging around that 20 mins a game in Dallas Being an Alberta farm boy he will be tough enough. Good cheap pick up good for Montreal.

I think they should bring back the fartmobile. That’s the future. Natural gas.

I saw it on YouTube but I think the angles were funny. Looked staged.

Maybe bottle the stuff that passes for commentary here. We’d all be rich!!! Or shut down by big oil.

13. cuzzie says:

Habs have tough schedule in October. They play the Flyers on the 26 go to Boston for a game on the 27th then play the b’s again on the 29.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Chorske says:

That’s not back to back, thanks Gawd. And its all east coast in the autumn (not winter) so travel won’t be an issue, knock on wood. But that is a tough schedule.

Of course, part of me can’t help feeling that Philly is a worse team since their Big Trades, and the Bs are never as good against us as they are against the rest of the east, so that part of the schedule could end up being great for us.

• cuzzie says:

First 4 games look winnable but after that they play 7 games in 11 days. Ouch!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Chorske says:

Harsh- but not Olympic year harsh. I always worry about the layoffs more than the back to backers. I can’t be arsed to crunch the numbers, but I think the Habs do better in back-to-back games than when they have had more than two days off.

• cuzzie says:

After playing the B’s on the 29th their next game is on the 4th of Nov. Strange scheduling.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

14. Hey guys,

Chris Boyle and I got to hang out “backstage” with Carey Price at his autograph signing in Toronto this aft.

Huge crowd of fans turned up to wish him well. Hope to have a piece up,maybe a contest (hint hint) and some audio this weekend.

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

Ok, tickets go on sale tomorrow. Timo shall get two for the Laffs game on Oct 22. So everybody paws off!

16. Bugs says:

Japan looks to be screwed.
    China Syndrome at Fukushima.
    Not too good for us if we get downwind either.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

17. cuzzie says:

Do you folks remember last year when September rolled around and Price wasn’t signed, how everyone was panicking. Training camps open next week and Doughty and Bogasian aren’t close to signing. Hope this doesn’t happen with Subban next year.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

18. JD_ says:

In the interests of overall self-awareness, it is worth notin’ there are few things on this great planet of ours worse* than a Habs fan.

One thing that does, however, come to mind is the self-loathin’ Habs fan.

* From the perspective of fans of other pro sports teams.
    *** This post has been tested for and cleared of any latent traces of Tweakin™ ***

19. ths says:

All this coverage of Lucic and his girlfriend is missing the mark.
    The real issue is they have to put more padding on the sidewalks in the Combat zone

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

20. ths says:

Where’s Mike Komisarek when Lucic’s girl needs him ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

File association icons were all amiss in Office 2010. I tried to re-assign the default icons back to something other than that dead nothing one and afterwards for some reason all the Office 2010 programs wouldn’t run any more. Un-install failed. Deleting folders and running CCleaner did not resolve it either. Phew.

So I had to run the Windows Install Clean Up utility and then CCleaner on the registry again. Final step was to go deeper into the registry than CCleaner did and surgically remove the remaining and numerous entries. Rebooted. Re-installed. Success!!!

Purrs like a kitten and all the file associations are back.

Moral of the story. If you are running Office 2010 on XP don’t delete anything in these locations:
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer
    C:\MSOCache\All Users

Man, i am getting so bored and tired with all these discussions about prospects. Who cares? Can the season start already?

23. Wheels says:

What about Woywitka. I think he has a good shot at making the top 4 on the back end. He is fast. His first pass out of his end is almost always on the tape. What r your thoughts on the defense this year

• SeriousFan09 says:

Woywitka will start in Hamilton. MTL has 7 defencemen on 1-way contracts (well 6 but Yemelin is making the team or he’s going home and PG didn’t go this far to stick him in the minors).

If he couldn’t average 20 minutes per in Dallas with their D, no way he gets that in MTL barring catastrophic injury to the blueline corps.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

24. wall2bay says:

I would love to have Scott Cullen in my pool. Anybody who’s gonna select Clarke Macarthur over Pleks is easy money for the rest of us!

60pts is a career best for Clarke but average (to slightly sub-par) for Pleks.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• Bripro says:

Ya see! So I’m not the only one who thinks he’s nuts!

• savethepuck says:

People have to realize that because of the history of the Habs franchise, the fact we have nearly twice as many Cups as our nearest competitor, anyone who is not a Habs fan hates the Habs. Too many journalists are unable to set aside their bias, especially if they originate from the Toronto media, to give this team any respect. That’s why they have our team picked to only make the playoffs if they get lucky every year. That’s why we are never picked to win a playoff series. That’s why none of our players get any respect with regards to fantasy pools. That’s why Markov wasn’t mentioned as one of the players to watch coming off an injury in the article earlier this week. I can go on and on and on……..
      Same reason so many people hate the Yankees:
      Jealousy over the # of Championships.

• Chris says:

That might be true if the Habs had experienced any recent success. But I have a hard time believing in some sort of jealousy bias towards a franchise that has won the grand total of 2 Stanley cups in 31 seasons and hasn’t seen the Stanley Cup Finals since 1993.

By that logic, fans should really be hating Detroit, New Jersey or Colorado. And while a lot of people hate New Jersey’s style of play, people generally give them their credit.

Montreal has quite simply not done a lot to justify a lot of love from hockey pool fans. Markov was a solid pick for a few years, but he has been a pool killer of late. Price is obviously a strong pick, but he also killed a lot of poolies two seasons ago.

Cammalleri was not a good pool player last season. Gionta and Plekanec are decidedly average…they’re not going to win or lose a pool for you.

Habs fans should stop seeing anti-Habs conspiracies everywhere. I haven’t picked a Hab in a hockey pool in quite a few years, and probably wouldn’t this season either.

• savethepuck says:

At what point did I make any reference to a couple of decades. Pretty sure I was talking about the history of a franchise. The Bruins went 40 years between their last 2 Cups. The Blackhawks were closer to 50 years. The Leafs are at 44 and counting. The Red Wings were a doormat for decades before their success started in the mid nineties. The Rangers were the same until they won in 94, the year after us. I wish the Habs could win a few Cups every decade too, but in today’s salary cap era with 30 teams battling it out, that’s unrealistic.
          We are fans of an organization that others hate. Why do you think other teams and their fans want to beat us so badly?

• Chris says:

You didn’t. But you did say that Montreal is hated because they are a winning franchise.

The Ottawa Senators are also a winning franchise, if you go back far enough.

The Maple Leafs have the third most Stanley Cups in NHL history behind Montreal and Detroit, so if you go back far enough, Toronto should be hated for being a consistent winner.

What is the statute of limitations on franchise success? My point was that an entire generation of hockey fans have grown up without seeing Montreal as anything but a team that fights to make the playoffs most years. Apart from the 2007-08 team, the Habs have been not much better than the Nashville’s or Buffalo’s of this world. We’ve had one magical ride to the conference finals.

Whip-de-freaking-do.

I guess where we disagree is on why other teams want to beat Montreal: who wouldn’t want to play in the loudest and largest arena in hockey? It’s got to be an amazing feeling for the players.

As to why the fans of other teams hate us, I would probably point to how Habs fans, many of whom are too young to even remember it, love to throw around the number of Stanley Cups the franchise won in its glory years. Nobody likes a braggart, and I suspect people like braggarts who can’t walk the walk even less.

I just don’t see this general anti-Montreal bias that everybody talks about, I guess.

• SeriousFan09 says:

People do hate Detroit Chris, I’ve seen plenty of vitriol in their direction. Plenty of people hate Jersey too, albeit mostly because they spent 2 decades trying to suck the fun out of the game. Colorado was not well-liked when they were on top of the world either.

There is plenty of anti-Montreal bias. the CBC delights in dumping on the team, TSN goes between ignoring and dumping on them depending upon their mood. Montreal has been in the playoffs for six of the past seven seasons, we’re still selected to finish ‘just outside’ and Toronto undeservedly sliding in ahead of us for half of those years. Hell the year the team won the EC they were picked to finish last when they were two points out of a playoff spot the year before. It’s called the long memories of Southern Ontario sports fans over a certain age who passed their hatred on to their kids.

They’re giving sweetheart projections to Leafs who had career years and not recognizing that some of these Habs have better overall career records. Cammalleri’s never finished a down season without shooting back up to a 30G+, 70 point output the next season. And yes I know 26G in his first season here but he was easily on a 30+ clip before his MCL sprain, that and he was the best GPG scorer in the 2010 playoffs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Sharks9 says:

I’ve found that people base pre-season predictions almost ENTIRELY on whether the team made big moves in the off season!

The predictions I’ve found hardly ever reference the fact that Markov, Gorges, and Pacioretty are all coming back after injuries and how the hell does the 6th place team drop to 9th after getting those guys back from injury PLUS adding Erik Cole. Not to mention that at the start of last year Subban didn’t play as well as he could have and this year Price’s numbers should be better with a better defensive unit around him.

There IS anti-Habs bias in this league and I can’t wait until we surprise them all by winning the Cup one of these years.

25 before 14

• Chris says:

CBC have a few announcers that dump on the Habs: Don Cherry (nothing new there, and certainly understandable given his personal history as a coach of the rival team), Greg Millen (who is negative on everybody) and P.J. Stock love to knock the Habs down.

The few times we get Jim Hughson, Craig Simpson, Kelly Hrudey or their like, the tone is generally much more neutral or positive. Bob Cole was singing the Habs’ praises on their run to the conference finals two years ago.

On TSN, Pierre McGuire saved some of his biggest man-crushes for Komisarek and Price. He has been very supportive of Gorges.

As for point projections, anybody who gets into that business is on crack anyways. Who saw Ilya Kovalchuk slumping to 60 points last season?

Every fall, Habs fans (like every other group in hockey) line up and predict great things for their players. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen point predictions for players that exceed the numbers those guys have achieved at ANY level of hockey, let alone the NHL.

MacArthur was a breakout last season, and I also think it is optimistic to expect another 60 point season for him. That being said, the Leafs have improved their offensive depth and should have a better PP, and he will be on the first-wave of that. It’s not hard to get 45-60 points when you are getting 1st line minutes on a bad hockey team and few can argue that MacArthur won’t be their #1 LW.

Turn it around and see some of the craziness spouted here. Many fans have Pacioretty pencilled in for 20-30 goals based on 2 hot months last season. Subban is pencilled in for 40-60 points by many Habs fans, despite the fact that he and Markov will be fighting for the same puck.

The general assumption is that Cole will step onto the Plekanec-Cammalleri line and those guys will be boosted to 70-80 point players.

Yet with all these optimistic predictions, the Habs struggle to score goals year after year. I’m hopeful that will change this season. But with Martin behind the bench, a potentially vulnerable defence corps and a lot of question marks (Gorges/Markov/Pacioretty/Eller returning from season-ending injuries or surgery, inexperienced players like Yemelin and Weber, the big mysteries of Gomez and Kostitsyn) I’m not going anywhere near point predictions for these guys.

• Chris says:

As a left wing, MacArthur’s 62 points ranked him tied for 9th in the NHL.

As a centre, Plekanec’s 57 points ranked him tied for 24th in the league.

Sometimes, you’ve also got to factor in the position. There is little doubt in my mind that Plekanec should get more points than MacArthur this season.

But in hockey pools, it was historically much harder to find good left wings than centres.

• SeriousFan09 says:

MacArthur also had a career year well above any of his previous seasons, is that sustainable? Plekanec consistently scores 20+ goals and the team’s depth has improved this season so he has more scorers to work with and that will likely boost his offensive totals. A return to 70 points, or just above that would put him into Top-10 C territory.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• bleedhabs81 says:

Clarkey might be the beneficiary of a health Phil Kessel…. but I would take a health Cammalleri any day.

So yes, I agree, Pleks over McArthur.

Not even using my homer cap for this one.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Any poker players?

The Playground in Kahnawake is having a poker tournament this week featuring 10 current and ex-Habs teaming up with poker pros. PK Subban, Carey Price, Josh Gorges, Guy Lafleur, Carbo, Pete Mahovlich, Steve Shutt are among the players. Anyone can join in.

(For poker players I highly recommend the Playground. Very nice atmosphere. Very professional.)

• Bripro says:

Is that the one that has “The Rail” restaurant attached?

• JD_ says:

Was listenin’ to today’s Team 990 overview of the event. Sounds awesome. Soobs’ team is the one to watch for pure entertainment.

If you frequent the Playground, you’ve probably crossed paths with my older brother. Although I love NLTH, and often play with friends, I don’t do the casino scene, as much as he has been pleadin’ with me forever to head out there on any given Friday night.

He also has very good things to say about the place.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve only been there a few times.

I recommend it if you like the game. It is very friendly, and provides a good test of poker skills. Probably less of a casino then your former occupation.

• JD_ says:

See if you can guess which specific group of professionals are absolutely, hands-down the worst investors I’ve ever come across.

Yeah, my bro says much the same thing about the place. I dunno, I just don’t get the urge to head out to Hwy 138 for poker. I like to have the tunes playin’, over-the-top banter, and a chance to shoot the shiz with friends.

But, I hear ya. In particular as it pertains to the quality of some of the opponents.

• Price is looking forward to taking all of PK’s money!

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

26. Bripro says:

Am I overly optimistic, or does anyone find Scott Cullen’s ranking a little wanting?
    Even the elite drop off quickly. Corey Perry with 87 points. And the habs picks are low. Granted, they didn’t have a great season points-wise last year, but I’m figuring with the addition of Cole to Pleks line and everyone healthy and returning, you can be sure that Cammalleri should have a decent number of points and Plek as well. I’m seeing the two of them around 75-80 points. And Gionta as well. Is that expecting too much?

So we are approaching Sept. 11 this weekend. Has anyone heard from bugs since he posted his questions about those events?

Anybody walking by his house on the way from school today that can go in and check on him?

28. GrimJim says:

TSN’s Craig Button put out his list on top 30 prospects for the 2012 draft. http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
    So what do we know about this Brendan Gaunce, since that’s where Mtl will be picking…
    Also, that Malcolm Subban may prove to be a bigger steal than his brother. I mean, 10 goals for a goalie, wow. I’m still trying to figure out how he got 0.16 of an assist, though…

• scrowe21 says:

Gaunce will move up the rankings. Big body center, not sure his style of play or if he utilizes his size or not. Last year was his rookie year in the OHL so he will probably put up better numbers this year.

• Chris says:

I saw Gaunce a few times in Belleville last season. Great size for a kid so young, decent speed and he has some nice moves. Not particularly physical, though…didn’t see him throw many hits. He is fairly adept at protecting the puck though. But it’s still impossible to say whether he will pan out or not. He was a very high draft pick (2nd overall) his draft year, but his numbers weren’t particularly stellar last season as the entire Bulls roster really disappointed. That being said, it is hard to put much stock in the OHL numbers of a 16 year old.

Don’t put too much stock in rankings at this time of year. Last season at this time, a lot of people had Matt Puempel as a sure-fire top-10 pick in this past summer’s draft, but the Petes were brutal and Puempel’s stock faded due to an abysmal supporting cast.

An intriguing kid from the Bulls last season is Adam Payerl. His stats don’t suggest anything special, but the kid is all heart. He’s a good skater, has great size (6’2″ and 215 pounds), could lay out absolutely thunderous checks when he wanted to and was one of the better defensive forwards that I’ve seen in the OHL. He also played all over the place: the Bulls were decimated at defence at times, and used Payerl on the blue line where he did quite well. But most of the time, he was used as a third line center. I’d love to see somebody give him a chance in the AHL, as I think he’s got the potential to be the kind of positional checking line player that every team can use.

• savethepuck says:

Way too early for me to look at this list. A guy named Jonathan Huberdeau wasn’t on this list this time last year, and he went 3rd overall in the draft.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Pre-season rankings can go out the window in a hurry, but last year’s class was weaker so strong performances can push a guy up the charts in a hurry in those cases.

I think Yakupov is going to stay in the Top 5 all year, just an outstanding talent combination on the kid. Ryan Murray likely as well, scouts have been over the moon with this kid since last year, would take serious downturns from them to lose their status. Watch Grigorenko rise up in the rankings as he raises his NA profile, he was down in the listings a lot due to originally being set to play in Russia this season.

Love for MTL to land Zemgus Girgensons, the kid is a burgeoning power forward.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

29. sauster says:

Kinda sucks to see Gomez at the top of the list of fantasy players to avoid. I, for one, am rooting for him to come back to his former self this year and get a few more points. That being said, I probably wouldn’t take him in my pool… Long shot at best.
    Anyone else here think Cammaleri might be poised for a personal best season? Don’t know if he’s always been like this but his tweets and interviews over the summer have been all about fitness; may be in best shape of his life?

TheHockeyRecord.com
    Recalling hockey records daily and taking an in-depth look at what they mean for the game of hockey.

30. Bripro says:

OK, after patiently going through the TEN THOUSAND YouTube links,
    my votre goes to Andrew’s:

I’m still chuckling. Some of you are just…..strange.

31. Psycho29 says:

Re: Lucic:
    I actually saw a “Don’t you know who I am?” moment close up when I was about 15.
    There was an amateur waterskiing championship of some kind at my hometown (Ste.Rose, Quebec) and the world champ, Canadian George Athans was there to do an exhibition. After he did some jumps, he went to the snack bar, dipped into the fridge and took a canned soft drink. The lady told him it wasn’t free, he had to pay.
    He walked back to the snack bar, yelled at the lady “DON’T YOU KNOW WHO I AM”?????. He then opened the fridge and THREW it back in.
    A little while later Athans could be seen doing the sports on CBC-6 here in Montreal.

• shiram says:

Similar but with Bruno Pelletier trying to access a classical music concert for free.
      He paid for his ticket finally.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• kempie says:

Here’s a little rule I have: If you ever, ever find yourself about to say the words “Don’t you know who I am?” STOP. Maybe give it a rethink before you go any further. Just something to keep in your head.

32. BJ says:

Touching and respectful ceremony by the Minsk Hockey Team that were to host the Yaroslavl team. I don’t know if its been posted before.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AI8YPm_tYXA

33. This one is just for JD_, I know he loves this stuff more than anything else in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4cuUKEBXU

• JD_ says:

Poker Demonstrations.

Close-up magic’s equivalent of a Panthers-Blue Jackets matchup on a Monday night.

• I was thinkin’ Panthers-Blue Jackets on a Monday afternoon, outdoor game. THAT boring.

• 24 Cups says:

I’ll tell what’s boring, how about soccer. Studies have reported that 10% of the games end in 0-0 ties! Where do I line up to buy tickets?

How could the world take a game with such potential and totally screw it up. Of course you could say the same thing about hockey in the summer of 2011.

I am not a huge soccer fan, but I absolutely love every two years when the UEFA and World Championships roll around. Perhaps it is the obvious fact that the best players in the world are playing or the passion surrounding those games is unavoidable, but I do watch those tournaments with great interest.

As for our pro circuit here in North America, I have tried to watch and just have no interest. The Champions League games are pretty good. But that is about the end of my real interest.

• Chris says:

Soccer is a sport that people get or don’t get, I suppose.

I have seen many absolutely thrilling 0-0 games because the build-up, passing and positional play really speaks to what I love about the sport.

Goals are obviously great, but I would rather see a masterfully played 0-0 game, than a sloppy game where one team wins 4-3. Watching the current edition of Spain’s national team play is absolutely beautiful.

• JD_ says:

To your point, HB, unless you have a kid playin’ in the N.A. pro leagues, and I use the term pro very loosely, there’s really no point in watchin’. It’s just br00tal. I can’t even recall the number of times I’ve had to politely refuse free tickets to go catch the Impact.

It’s FIFA or UEFA.

My son’s AAA games are a blast, however.

• The only thing about soccer that I actively don’t like is the vuvuzela.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Soccer?!? Are you guys for realz?!!

As Chief Ten Bears said: “That is all I have to say about that.”
            ———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• shiram says:

Give me Penn & Teller instead, even I know how they pull off the trick, they still manage to have a great and interesting act.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

34. LL says:

With the Hockey tragedies and the stories everywhere about 9/11, I find I have a permanent lump in my throat.

So, something inspirational,
    You think you have problems?

Warning: May cause grown men to seek tissues.

35. pants buzzed:
    chicago trades for david toews

36. Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll start with the disclaimer that Milan Lucic could play on my team anytime, I just hate the jersey he’s wearing, and the concomitant style of play he affects. I would hate him more if we had been left to hold the bag on Mike Komisarek, but that’s for the Leafs’ fans to worry about.

Milan Lucic’s marketing rep is downplaying the domestic incident he was involved in, stating he was “upset because (his girlfriend) got out of a cab in bare feet and refused to put her shoes on.” As if that explains away everything. Or anything at all.

Like him being in a drunken incident on the street at 0130 hr that draws other people’s attention and requires the police to attend.

Like him slamming/throwing his cellphone to the ground when speaking with those same police officers, instead of defusing the situation by being calm, reasonable and cooperative.

Like him thinking that his on-ice and local notoriety somehow imbues him with a aura of credibility in the eyes of law enforcement.

Like him not understanding that domestic assault complaints are taken very seriously and that most modern departments have taken away a lot of the responding officers’ discretion, since in the bad old days the husband would appear in the doorway and roll his eyes and assure them that everything was fine, the wife would pipe up in the background that everything was fine and the officers would leave and the cycle would continue. Nowadays, the investigating officers have to run down a checklist and answer all questions satisfactorily, whether the subject is a non-deserving Cup winner or not.

I guess playing hockey, swearing at referees, and constantly cheating while at work while not having to face consequences for months at at time is not great training for real life.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

37. geo_habsgo says:

Stupid HIO where you can’t reply after a certain point.

@Chris

You definitely give some food for thought. Nice to actually see the point of view of a prof now and again. I agree with you on a lot of the points too there are some students that just don’t give a damn and believe me it hurts the other students too and not just the professors. Thanks for the insight!

38. secretdragonfly says:

Sorta kinda unrelated but a shout-out to Mike Boone for his final city column in today’s Gazette. Their loss will definitely be our gain.

• JD_ says:

Today’s final one was a good read. I had a good laugh at his Spoonman quip, a battle he valiantly fought but, as Homer Simpson learns us, “If at first you don’t succeed, give up.”

For the record, the last time I had to shake my head at the sight of Spoonman was the wee mornin’ of the 2009 HI/O Summit.

He was frightenin’ the tourists.

• punkster says:

Props to Boone for sticking to it this long. Not an easy gig by any means but one that he managed to make interesting for his readers. Now if he could just find a way to allow more than 5 direct responses to a comment here, dig up some less damning Price pics, post fewer Boston stories, interview and write about what each and every Hab is doing in the off season, allow Timo to be a guest columnist once in a while and juggle a half dozen meat cleavers then we’d all be happy.

(Nice to have you here full time Mike!)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chris says:

I think the idea of Timo as a guest columnist MUST happen.

His first assignment could be to interview MAB (since we DO love our old-Habs stories).

Story 2 could be on the enduring legacy of Patrice Brisebois. Yeats should be a co-writer on that one. :)

39. JD_ says:

Interestin’ thing about the WC is there are four teams that not only may struggle to make the playoffs, but are also loaded to bear with pendin’ UFA forwards who are earnin’ in excess of $1M per season: Calgary, Columbus, Colorado, and the Coyotes.

The best diamond buyers are intimately familiar with the four Cs – colour, cut, clarity, and carat – and a bettin’ man says the most vulnerable of the bunch is Colorado. Columbus and Phoenix’s are old, Calgary’s are a bit meh, but Colorado’s group is young.

They are potentially gonna be the most attractive sellers ahead of the trade deadline; potentially cause they’re arguably on the bubble.

And they trade like drunken sailors.

Just sayin’.

Ok, the burnin’ question I have after readin’, “THN’S depth chart shows [Ottawa's] second line as Peter Regin between Nick Foligno and Bobby Butler…”, is what jersey number Yakupov will go with.

I’m guessin’ #10, assumin’, of course, there is no plan in the works to retired Andreas Dackell’s jersey.

Hmm. An angry, drunken encounter with uniformed police officers at the front door of his home. L00chy is indeed in fine company.

I don’t know who this Dan K guy is nor whether or not he has any clue what he’s talkin’ about and, honestly, didn’t even check out the above story link, but I like the cut of his jib. How can you not like a guy who says things you want to hear?

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Nathan Beaulieu played the home opener with the Saint John Sea Dogs last night, but unfortunately most of the core members of the QMJHL and Memorial Cup Champions were already on their way to rookie camp so the team was rather undermanned and lost 3-1.

He ended up turning in 30+ minutes from two different reports (due to roster guys missing), rushed the puck up the ice several times and while he finished a -1 the goal wasn’t really hung on him but his partner’s missed coverage. Shot the puck well, getting it on net and had good passing in all zones.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

41. punkster says:

What’s up with the Br00ins? First we saw the Magnum Brad Marchand Meltdown ™ as the kid went way overboard on the booze. Then we witness the Ryder Rebellious Rampage™ as Michael made it clear he wasn’t exactly thrilled with having his name engraved next to all those cretins. Now we read about Lucic’s Laboured Lucidity™ as he attempts to educate those nasty officers about his lofty place in the world. Oh and let’s not forget that coming soon is the pending the Chara Chaingang Chagrin™.

There’s trouble in Beantown City my friends. That’s trouble, with a capital “T” and that rhymes with “P” and that stands for party. Way too much of that going on.
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Trisomy 21 says:

Could you be more specific about the Magnum Brad Marchand Meltdown ™ and Ryder Rebellious Rampage? I don’t remember hearding about these, they must have happened every time i closed the internet everytime i saw something to do with Boston this summer.
      Links maybe?

• Bripro says:

Are you surprised? Remember the Penguins players swimming with the cup at Mario’s?

42. HabsFanInTampa says:

Is the September 29th game between the Lightning and Canadiens being played in Quebec City? I remember reading something about a pre-season game between the two teams being played up there in Quebec City.

I saw something posted earlier today I hadn’t seen in a long time here, it was a Konopka sighting. Oh those were the magical days of summer when we could dream of having a Greek God like Z come to Montreal and save the smurfs while instilling instant NAG.

Good ol Konopka!

44. Morenz7 says:

So many questions for Looch and his “marketing rep” ..
    Like: what’s the difference between an agent and a “marketing rep?”

45. arcosenate says:

Why is it that when someone refers to another as being a “class act” it usually means a “classless ass”?

46. Bripro says:

So Dan went from predicting the Habs as a solid playoff contender to winning the North East.
    Did something change his objectivity in 48 hours?

• bleedhabs81 says:

Me thinks he may have taken my suggestion to evaluate based on talent and not the assumption of injuries.

Me thinks he also put on his homer hat. I want to predict them as taking the division too… because I am a fan and I have to believe that (since it does appear to be a 3 team race and extremely plausible).

I went to the local zoo and put three pictures in front of the monkey’s in the south america exhibit (one for each strong team in the NE).

One monkey threw poop at the bruins crest… which has me believing that they are either going to win or they are going to lose. I all depends on how the monkey views the bruins and what his interpretation of poop flinging means.

Another monkey was doing unsightly thing to the Sabres Crest (again, could go either way)… I didn’t give the monkeys a chance to defile the Canadiens Crest.

So, what did I learn? Well, aside from monkeys can be disgusting little creatures, I learned nothing…. much like all the other predictions.

Also, does anyone know where one can get custom made toilet paper? Seeing that poop smeared on the bruins crest made me all warm and fuzzy. I want to re-create that feeling daily (sometimes twice if I have eaten fast food the day before).

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember when the Habs sued Basha’s because of their Go Habs Go sign?

London football club Arsenal is going them one better. They are suing a hat store in Spain named Arsenale:

Damn lawyers.

The store is named after the original Arsenale, which is the military shipyards in Venice.

• Bripro says:

Actually, it wasn’t the Habs. It was the NHL. But what do you expect from Buttman? Oh yeah, he’s a lawyer too.

• 24 Cups says:

“Presumably the sigh of relief was palpable in North London when it was discovered that Saddam Hussein did not actually possess an arsenal of weapons of mass destruction. Serving court orders for trademark infringement in war-torn Iraq wouldn’t have proved much fun.”

• Bripro says:

Maybe not, but imagine being the bailiff serving Busch Jr. with a subpoena? I’d love to see the look at that dork’s face!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

If they handed out supoenas for dumb and unnecessary political statements on hockey blogs, probably no worse than yours, Obambi boy.

• Clay says:

Are you insinuating that war criminals should be excused because you agree with their politics?

__________________________
            Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

• Bripro says:

Enlighten me….who’s Obambi boy?

• bleedhabs81 says:

Oh come now. Can’t we all just get along and politely disagree with each other.

Do we have to stoop to name calling. At the very least put some thought and creativity into your insults.

Backhanded compliments, smug overtones, witty sarcasm… no? Simple name calling only reflects a level of intelligence that is possesed by most school children (early grade school at that).

Sorry, if you are a child (in early grade school), than my apologies for asking more from you. This is unfair unless your a child prodigy…. but clearly your not. Stay in school and don’t do drugs.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“George Alexander of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory reports that attorneys for [Italian designer] Oleg Cassini phoned, saying how dare JPL put the fashion designer’s name on its Saturn probe without permission.”

“JPL’s lawyers replied that the Cassini spacecraft was named for Jean Dominique Cassini, an 18th century astronomer.”

“There was a long silence on the other end of the phone,” Alexander said, “followed by an ‘Oh.’ ”

• avatar_58 says:

What kind of stupid name is Arsenal anyway? In fact why are most euro teams named retarded things?

Yeah that’s right I said it. ‘futbol’ sucks….

Sigh.

What kind of stupid name is Canadiens?

They’re team names…I have always thought that Arsenal was one of the better ones. I also quite liked Ajax as a kid.

But since most soccer teams are named after their city with either a United, Royal, City or some permutation of athletic club tag (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, A.C. Milan, etc.), I’m not sure that your rant makes any sense.

Now if you could perhaps go and learn how to use the word “retarded” properly, that would be great. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not intending to imply that developmentally challenged individuals are to be used as a derisive term but that you instead simply didn’t know what “retarded” actually means.

• avatar_58 says:

I’m mostly just joking ;) Also don’t throw that last bit at me, I had a relative with down syndrome. Doesn’t mean I “must” be politically correct. To hell with censorship.

But seriously, futbol? Puhleeze

• Chris says:

It really has nothing to do with censorship and everything to do with learning how to use the English language properly.

There are now over a million words in the English language, yet people insist on holding on to incorrect usage of words. It’s puzzling.

48. geo_habsgo says:

Sitting in class @ Mcgill in what might be the most boring lecture I’ve ever had to sit through. Distracted by the large window showing me what I’m missing outside and by the comments being left here.

Thanks HIO crew for helping get through this dry, dry class!

I can’t imagine what my marks would have been like in University if I had a notebook with wifi back in the day. However, I am not sure if back then Al Gore had yet stumbled onto his idea for the internet yet.

Enjoy the lecture!

• Bripro says:

Here’s some motivation for you.
      I’ve been out of McGill since ’85, and I promise you, I miss it.
      Enjoy the boredom. Once you’re shackled to your career, you too will miss the boring lectures and sleepless nights of homework.
      Besides, my daughter, who’s also at McGill tells me that you can now miss a lecture but capture the PP presentation online.
      With us, if you didn’t take proper notes, you fell behind quickly.
      So be bored, and make up for it later with a tall one!

Sage like advice Bripro!

• Bripro says:

And it doesn’t stop us from wanting a tall one anyhow, right HB?
          I read your post after I posted mine.
          Imagine having today’s technology back then? So much easier.
          It would have taken me 5 years instead of 7….maybe.
          But I would have had to give up the reefer…..

• geo_habsgo says:

Sage advice indeed. You make some good points here. I usually make an honest effort in class but I think I just have a case of the Friday’s today. The tall one(s) that I will have at the end of the day are certainly strong motivator’s in and of themselves :p

• HabFanSince72 says:

I actually lecture at McGill on occasion and I’ve noticed more and more students surfing the net during class. I don’t lecture undergrads too often but I can see it might be annoying for the profs. Then again being a McGill employee sucks in so many other ways it’s probably just a minor annoyance.

• Bripro says:

I think the youth of today multitask a lot more than we did.
        I hold monday morning meetings, and my tech has his iPhone glued to his face during the entire meeting. I find it all very disrespectful.
        So I guess the days of taking in the zen environment is long gone for you. Or is it? I used to love studying on campus, laying in the grass, not a worry in the world.

• G-Man says:

Multitask? More like multi-texting inanities like, “I’m sitting in class texting instead of learning something.”

• Chris says:

I don’t think they are multitasking, particularly. I would argue more that it is a case of that so many are going to university even though it really isn’t the place for them.

As a society, we have to somehow remove the stigma associated with not having a university degree. Some of the most clever people I have known in this life have lacked anything beyond high-school training, while some of the most spectacularly dense people I have known are walking around with PhD’s.

It pains me to see so many kids in school that frankly don’t give a damn about their learning. They are just putting in the time and expect high marks and a degree at the end of it. And the really tragic thing is that the university’s have caved into it.

• geo_habsgo says:

There is definitely something in what you are saying, Chris. Are you a teacher? I’ll likely be one myself at the end of my studies.

However, I think that sometimes the students in university get knocked for not caring, which is certainly a valid argument, while everyone seems to ignore the professor’s role in it all. As a teacher and someone with a PHD you’d expect the professor to be able to engage you on a different level, to let their passion for the topic come alive. Sadly, so few professors today have even a little bit of charisma. And let me tell you when I sit in on classes where the professor enjoys their job, I never have to surf the web even for a second.

I guess its just one of those cycles where the prof thinks the students don’t care so he stops caring too and future students of his only pay for it.

I teach in universities.

One of the tidbits I give to students is that they need to realize that university is not the same as high school. Professors are not there to “teach”, in general, but to help facilitate the learning process for the students.

I freely admit that there are good profs and bad profs. But the onus has to be on the students: if you need somebody else to make a course interesting for you, it might be time to examine why you are taking that course or program of study.

I generally receive very strong teaching evaluations. But even with that in mind, I simply can’t instill a sense of curiousity or love of learning in a student. They have to have that themselves. I very much CAN work with that and help a student achieve their personal and professional goals, and that is the thing I most love about what I do.

But increasingly, I am confronted with classrooms where the majority of the students lack anything approaching the basic level of curiousity that used to be a hallmark of higher education. Don’t get me wrong…there are still great students. But the system is increasingly becoming bogged down by the kids who probably should never have been in university in the first place.

• Bripro says:

I’m somewhat divided on this.
            I agree on whether they’re multitasking or singularly focused. Each student is different. We didn’t text, we doodled, or slept behind sunglasses.
            But I’ve been active at the board level for both my son and daughter since kindergarden, and I’m sure I’m not telling you anything new when I say that the MEQ has completely screwed up the educational system, by simply sticking their noses in it. The “new reform” program was a COMPLETE disaster. My son never learned a thing. My daughter, on the other hand went to Royal West, which teaches the international program, and the acceptance levels are higher, and the material reflects the kind of instruction which we received in the day.
            She’s now going for her PhD at McGill. She thrived.
            You’re absolutely right Chris. Some don’t deserve to be there; for others, the lights only turn on once they’re there. Maturity has a lot to do with it. And I believe some do need guidance but are too proud to ask.
            I had to go back as a mature student to get my degree because I was a young stoner hooked on a good time, and didn’t grow up until I was in my 20s.

• avatar_58 says:

BS, ever walk near someone texting? Their entire minds are into that phone. Nothing exists but the phone.

Be the phone

• Trisomy 21 says:

Take it from a current uni. student, I’m not paying attention if I’m texting, neither are the others.

• geo_habsgo says:

What do you usually lecture? If I ever come across you I will be sure to turn the laptop off!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’m in the med school so don’t teach in classrooms much but sometimes I lecture in psychology or engineering. No worries though – I would probably do the same. I spent much of medical school in the back rows of the amphitheatre (*) reading the New Yorker.

The really weird thing is when you are in a meeting with only three or four people in a small room and one them is clearly surfing the net. I find this happens a lot.

(*) Not the surgical amphitheatre. Just a big classroom.

• Chris says:

It is INCREDIBLY annoying to teach at the front of the room and see the kids sitting in your classroom texting or surfing the web. Because inevitably, those are the dimwits that come up to you near the end of the course and ask if there is any sort of extra-credit project they can do to bring their marks up.

And of course, remembering how little they cared about the material when it was being presented to them, I have no problem with not caring about their plight.

• HardHabits says:

I am a much better student. I never showed up for class, crammed on the last night and still aced my exams.

• HabFarmer says:

I wrote the occasional exam drunk. Strange how that didn’t work out too well most times.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

I recognize that kind of student, I believe I spent most of my days at the gym playing ball most evenings weekends at the bar and in a complete panic 1 week before exams and when major papers were due!

University Years are the best years! For pure entertainment stress free (yah there is homework, but that is minor stress) unadulterated freedoms and fun.

Hockey Prospects is for the most part out of date. The still have Brayden Schenn with the Kings. Who cares what HP says? Not HH at any rate!

DD has graduated. So it appears for Weber. It is also my opinion that Yemelin will not play one game as a Bulldog.

So for what it’s worth as a Habs fan I’ll wait for the season to begin without the need for some amateurish website with a catchy name that makes it sound more legitimate than it actually is to make me feel good or bad about my team and its prospects for the future.

No way Montreal is 20th over-all. I am starting to see the makings of a farm system not unlike what the Expos had back in the day that will churn out NHLer after NHLer. Not just plugs either but impact players. Much wealth for the Habs in the future if they stay the course!!

But who cares what HH has to say any ways!!!

We care HH!

• Lafrich says:

Hear hear! To all parts of your post.

I have followed the farm system as part of my fanitude of Les Habitants for a long time, and I too feel this is the best young crop we have had since the days of Roy/Richer/Skrudland/Corson/Chelios/etc…

Price/Subban/Pacioretty/Eller/Desharnais – Already there
      Leblanc/Kristo/Tinordi/Yemelin/Palushaj/Beaulieu – looking good for the future

Not to mention a pretty solid core of veterans. This team will contend for the conference for the next few years.

• 24 Cups says:

HH – The problem with Hockey’s Future is that it gets updated at a snail’s pace. Not to mention that the timelines for updating are totally uneven (hence Schenn as a King).

The real question of the day has to be why Beaulieu is ranked as the #1 guy? Was this year’s crop of juniors that good? Or are the other guys on the Hab prospect list not as great as we thought?

I think Robert L’s list was a lot more accurate.

I think we got very fortunate in other teams drafting for their perceived needs and Beaulieu dropped much further than he should have. IMHO this was a steal for us to get him at the position we did.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – Before the draft, a realistic projection for Beaulieu being selected would be 9th or 10th. Hamilton certainly would be ahead of him but I was surprised to see Scheifele go 7th. Winnipeg better have that one right because they passed on two good players when they didn’t take Couturier or Hamilton.

The real mystery is that Beaulieu was then dropped below four other Dmen – Brodin, Siemens, Murphy and Oleksiak. They all have their merits to be sure. I guess it comes down to personal perference.

Teams selecting Miller and Armia over Beaulieu is just plain crazy.

Agreed. While my allegiance always will be to the Habs, I have a big soft spot for the Winnipeg franchise. I am fearful this new edition may have the same upper mgmt. issues they were plagued with earlier when John Ferguson Sr. was GM of the team. I think specifically of the draft year when Ferguson took Jimmy Mann ahead of Michel Goulet!

• REB says:

Given the choice between Oleksiak and Beaulieu, I would have chosen Oleksiak. However, I am not the GM, and nobody asked me.

• SeriousFan09 says:

That’s why I tend to actually visit the discussion boards themselves, get more up-to-date information and links from firsthand accounts of the players from other people.

That and laugh my ass off reading trade proposals. There can be some pretty good stuff in there if you know where to look. But you never really tap Hockey’s Future itself for breaking news.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

IAN EDWARDS in Calgary. If you see this I would like your e-mail or phone # so I can discuss with you your comment of yesterday.

51. PeterStastny26 says:

Like others, I’ve been playing coach and imagining fantasy line-ups with specific line combinations. It was fun, but quite useless, since there’s meant to be a lot of shuffling during the season. I thought a more interesting exercice would be to analyze the options by assessing what each forward can do in a healthy line-up. I also wanted your thoughts on a solution I propose to the lack of depth down the middle.

Top-half :. Gomez and Plekanec are fixtures at center. So are Cole and Gionta on the right side (I know Cole is sometimes listed as a LW, but he never enjoyed any success there and pointed out right after the singing that he wants to play RW). Cammalleri is also clearly up there, on the left (by default), even tough he can play both sides of center. Pacioretty seems to have the edge on the other LW spot, but Kostitsyn (who can play on both wings like Cammy) is also in the run. One of those two’s gonna end up in the bottom half of the line-up with the following forwards.

Bottom-half :. Eller’s gonna play center on one of the lower lines, as his stint on the wing last season wasn’t conclusive, and he won’t dethrone Pleky or Gomez (if only for salary reasons). On the wings are gonna be AK47 (or MaxPac), Moen and Darche (on either side), and also White (on the right side – only position he played as a pro).

The one remaining regular is Desharnais, a natural center who, according to most, can/should play left wing. While I like the idea, mainly because it would give Jacques Martin much more options to play with, it would leave a hole at center on one of the bottom-2 lines, and I fail to see anyone at the pro level of the organization who could fill the void without hurting the team. Engqvist seems to be the closest they have to an NHL-caliber center. And in the 3 games he played last season, he didn’t give the impression he was ready the big show. In fact, he looked a bit out of place, definitely a notch or two below the others. Scratching a regular – Moen, Darche or White – in favor of Engvist (so DD can be moved to the left) would undoubtedly diminish the overall quality of the players at the coach’s disposal. Consequently, there is a need to add a center that is at least on the same level as those three, so JM can shuffle its cards (like we all know he will) without weakening the line-up.

My solution: sign John Madden to a less-than-a-million one-year contract. Typical JM player. Savvy veteran shutdown pivot, outstanding penalty-killer (wich would give Pleky some slack), can chip in offensively, great speed, sound fundamentals, excellent work ethic, tons of playoff experience (3 rings) and a regular with Chicago when they won it all a season ago.

Engqvist, Palushaj, Trotter and others are likely gonna be counted on at some point anyway. There’s gonna be injuries. I don’t see the upside in leaving holes on the roster for them to fill. They’re not premier prospects. Let them steal a spot from a veteran if they can. There is 4M in cap space. The team can afford it. Add some depth.

Your thoughts?

• 24 Cups says:

PS26 – Great post but we’re the only two guys on the site who are open to this concept.

I’m officially throwing in the towel on this one. I’m buying an Engqvist jersey on the weekend. I’m also starting a pool on when we’ll trade our 2nd round pick to help plug a hole in the lineup.

I can’t speak for others, but conceptually I have zero problems with the idea of signing someone that can help given our cap situation. I am just going to have to trust PG in that he either evaluates the talent of Enqvist as very high, he may have a trade on the burner we don’t know about, or perhaps he believes the John Madden’s and others like him available simply are too long in the tooth and cannot contribute like many expect.

Anways you getting the home or the away jersey with Enqvist name on it? And do you know forsure what number he is getting?

• PeterStastny26 says:

Good investment! If PG stays put, we should see plenty of Engqvist.

As for your pool, I say December, January at the latest.

• Morenz7 says:

You’re not the only two by a long stretch. I was irked that they let Konopka slide by, because not only can he win draws, his presence might limit the sort of liberties routinely taken by the Bruins and Flyers. Maybe Ottawa’s overpaying him.

Even so, PG should now address the yawning gap by signing a serious checking centre who can win faceoffs. Pleky is now the only center we have who’s even a saw-off at the dot. He can’t be on the ice for every draw.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure that John Madden has much left in the tank, to be honest, so I’m perfectly okay with the Habs not taking a chance on him.

Madden is 38 years old and was a -9 last year on a bad Minnesota team. He is a left-handed shot, whereas the team needs a right-handed center.

I would much rather see the Habs bring up a kid like Gabriel Dumont, who earned a reputation as a strong defensive forward in junior hockey, and see what he’s got to offer than go to an old player at the end of his career like John Madden.

Better yet, let’s see what Ryan White or Andreas Enqvist can do before we write them off as not having the chops to be a checking line player. Guys like Madden were no-names coming up themselves…they only got the name-recognition because a team took a chance on them.

When you go after “names”, you are likely to overpay for a player on the wrong-side of their career arc that may or may not be any better than what you’ve already got.

• PeterStastny26 says:

You say Madden is washed-up because he’s 38 and was a minus checker on a bad team? Fair enough. That’s not what I gather, but I’m gonna have to trust you because I didn’t get to watch him much lately. But Gabriel Dumont? Please… Maybe in 2 years, if he keeps on progressing.

Ryan White is already a regular, no one’s writting him off. He paid his dues in the minors and clearly showed he was ready when called upon during the season. So did Desharnais. And Weber. For all I know, Engqvist could do the same this season or the next.

Guys like Madden did not get name-recognition because “a team took a chance on them.” They did by replacing injured veterans in the line-up and eventually beating them out of a spot. There are exceptions, blue-chip prospects to be groomed within the line-up (see Eller), but there’s no such player in the system right now.

And at this point, the “names” still without a contract will sign for less than what most prospects earns at the NHL-level.

52. DearyLeary says:

I would put Tinordi above Yemelin as far as ceiling goes, it’s not that preposterous.

If people are expecting Yemeling to blow them away this season I feel they will be sorely disappointed.

Winnipeg has signed Kyle Wellwood to a one year, one way contract for 700 grand.

There will be no need for the Jets to print playoff tickets this year.

54. mjames says:

What to do with DD? The answer is obvious. Get rid of the one center that has not performed. The sooner Gomez is traded the better this team will be. He brings nothing to the team and I do not want to hear about his looker room presence. . He is not a leader as he inspires no one. One merely has to look up the definition of leader to confirm that Gomez is no leader.
    mjames

• habs03 says:

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to move Gomez, but only when needed, as of this year, his 7.3 cap hit has no effective on the team, we have 5M to spend on nothing. I would love to get rid of him but only if we get a replacement, both Eller and DD are not ready. But I have to defend him in regards being a leader, not might not be the ideal leader to get the guys pumped in between periods, but DD, Subban and Eller in specific, all have mentioned that Gomez has helped them in developing into NHLers.