Report: No charges for O’Byrne, Kostopoulos

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that CKAC has said the woman involved in the events with Ryan O’Byrne and Tom Kostopolous has decided not to press charges, but that has yet to be to be confirmed.

We will have more details as they become available.

1. LizardKing1967 says:

Too much has been said on this topic already. The only ones who know exactly what happened are Ryan O and the lady with the purse. We should just leave it alone. I do not condone any criminal act by any athlete in any sport, but we do not know any facts, and as we all have short memories, athletes do not live the same type of life as we do. Do you all not remember Ray Lewis.

Good luck to the Habs tonight, and I hope some idiot on the other team shoots a comment towards Ryan O. I would love to see him get his frustration out on some one.

I BELIEVE!!! Go Habs Go!!!

Jim-out

2. Fer_hab says:

Not shocked at all.

BUT HERES TO HOPING THEY FIND SOME WAY TO FILE CHARGES ON BREEZER AND LOCK HIM UP SO THAT HE CAN”T TAKE PRECIOUS MINUTES OF MY LIFE WITH HIS PLAY.

LETS SHOW VINNY WHAT HE COULD HAVE BEEN (BE?) A PART OF TONITE

Go HABS,

HUGE AMOUNT OF RESPECT FOR NON_STOPPOLOUS FOR STAYING BY HIS TEAMATE NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ClaytonM says:

you could go with clutch too. the ladies will get that one.

4. Berge says:

To all the Fish:

It’s kinda funny how RB was tagged as possibly guilty until proven innocent…or until the charges were dropped. At least his teamates knew enough to stick up for him in the interim.

Did it occur to anyone that the “Lady” in question might have actually asked him to hold her purse as she went to the washroom before leaving ( Meet you outside…wink…wink)…and then she just found a chivalrous bouncer to believe a rather common and very distressed claim of a stolen purse (and then tacked on her added claim for a lousy 20 bucks in order to make the (unpressed) ‘charges’ more material in the eyes of the police ?

Does anyone think that perhaps some chick in a club might actually be capable of stirring up trouble…With a high profile pro athlete at least ?

As opposed to (say) a hardworking rookie defenseman who’s pulling down a half-mil, suddenly deciding that risking a blossoming career for 20 bucks, and a free phonecall, while openly/visibly sporting a non matching purse…is somehow all worth far more to him…than his entire future.

Hmnnnn….Maybe the players in question were all blind drunk while on a regular season roadtrip, and the sober and fairminded bouncers were just looking out for a distressed patron with nothing to gain from such an act of defamation…Hmnnnn

Is it far more beleivable that top rung NHL players are going to be out drinking with each other until they are beligerent and stupefied, and then pulling teenaged pranks in front of the rest of their teamates? Perhaps even picking fights with otherwaise benevolent bouncers and policemen…You know…Those hyper-intelligent meatheads and power-tripping highschool graduates who’d be more than happy to hold it over a succcesful pro athlete, the first chance they get. I’m sure that Florida cops and bouncers are far more even headed at 3AM than any pro defenseman who’s out with team-mates and peers.

Hmnnn…Funny how many people simply assumed that the chick in the bar was telling the truth, without so much as a hint of a hidden (victimizing?) agenda ….and then those same people simply bought the ensuing drama…hook…line…and sinker

5. rogus says:

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Jim Morrison?

6. Scotty90 says:

I don’t jnow about your last comment FFS…. just ask Conrad and the ENRON jokers!

7. Shiloh says:

I think O’Byrne may get tired of being called a snatch.

8. Naila Jinnah says:

RDS says this info is completely false.

9. ZepFan2 says:

I heard the same thing on CBC (via presse Canadien).

10. teamplayer says:

yeh she probably came across clips of the movie rocket and realised that canadiens fans take it pretty seriously

11. Steiner says:

All I know is that I wouldnt want to be the girl to press charges against any Habs. Even if she doesn’t know “the effect” it’s had on the city, or the media coverage it’s gotten… she’d soon find out had she!

Imagine, had she been recognized upon a potential visit to Montreal, the response she would get from this hockey town… that would be some very interesting fifteen minutes of fame! :)

12. MikeMcLaren says:

Not trying to sound like Pleks-Andrew or anything, but wasn’t I amongst the first to say that these charges would be dropped?

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

13. wd40 says:

actually, i’m sure he’s relieved. you could hit him with, “hey Byrnie.. let’s steal 2 points tonight”. lol.

14. Scotty90 says:

well there you go… there is hope for Conrad… all he needs is a high priced lawyer. What a savior you are FFS! do you happen to know the address for sing-sing?

15. ClaytonM says:

I wish I was a Hab for one practice. Just so I could razz O’Byrne with the comment “Hit him with your purse!”

16. wd40 says:

alright, let’s move over to Boone’s game blog.. nothing to see here.

17. Yeats says:

It’s better than being a snitch!

18. Yeats says:

Great analogy.

19. ClaytonM says:

not too crude after seeing the Zednik clip? I was worried about the PC Police here, bud.

20. wd40 says:

i don’t think i’ve ever had the first comment before. woo!

wd40 – Everyone is entitled to their 15 minutes of fame:-)

The Original 24 Cups

22. Jonnyboy says:

Now everyone who is not shocked at all post I:

I

23. The Teacher says:

Bravo, too bad you didn’t make a comment on the article :P

This will go away quickly now, and maybe O’Byrne will be burning with vengeance!

24. NightRyder says:

Gee, what a surprise.

25. Yeats says:

Drinks on me, at least until three!!!

26. J.T. says:

You’re such a tool! ;)

27. P St. Pierre says:

Good news if it is indeed the case.

28. planet habs says:

I bet the habs lawyers bought the woman off. Typical! athletes think they’re above the law and get away with anything, as long as they have money. just sask O. J. Simpson!

29. ClaytonM says:

C’mon, dude, equating this incident with OJ is like comparing what happened to Zednik with nicking your chin shaving

30. MAB the HAB says:

A little perspective before going off on athletes (though, in other more serious circumstances I would agree): this is a very very minor incident that from the looks of it was more about over zealous cops than athletes-gone-bad. Legally, this would be a prime case for dropped charges: minimal damages caused, first time offenders and resolved minor theft.

It is not at all comparable to OJ or Michael Vick, not even those speeding or driving under the influence (which is a much more egregious example of athletes getting away with anything).

Respectfully, MAB the HAB

31. wd40 says:

yeah? how much would you bet? based on what (little) we do know, i think there are more reasonable assumptions to be made. oh, and great analogy btw.

32. Rightwing says:

I actually think OJ’s case was a lot milder than this one. These guys should get the electric chair…if they’re lucky. O’Byrne’s life of crime is over, buddy! And Kostopoulos was likely the brains of the operation, as well as the wheel man.

Isn’t it tiring to see athletes active in a second career of crime. Watch your purse, “planet habs.”

33. Yeats says:

As I said on another thread, I’m going to go “purse” my lips around an adult beverage right now!

34. Yeats says:

No pickup tonight because of the weather down here. Ladies and The Breezer, hide your purses!