Video: Chara uncertain for tonight; AK46, Halpern game-time decision

martin-pleky

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin with centreman Tomas Plekanec during morning skate.
Stubbs video framegrab

Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara was hospitalized Friday night for dehydration, for a length of time reported to be overnight but left unconfirmed by the Bruins.

Boston head coach Claude Julien said it will be team doctors’ decision, and not his, as to whether the Bruins captain plays tonight. Players spoken to in the Bruins room after their very optional morning skate believed Chara would be in the lineup, but the players only learned upon their arrival at TD Garden that Chara had been hospitalized.

Chara practised Friday at Wilmington, Mass., with his team and seemed fine afterward.

Best line of the morning: Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri said: “I’m no MD so I’m not going to be like Mark Recchi and diagnose the other team,” alluding to Recchi having on March 23 said the Canadiens embellished the severity of the concussion Max Pacioretty suffered when drilled into a stanchion at the Bell Centre by Chara.

The Canadiens followed the Bruins’ skate with a full workout of their own, only Andrei Kostitsyn missing. AK46 took a Chara shot off the foot in Game 1 and, while he finished the game, was taking therapy this morning. Head coach Jacques Martin said the decision to use either Kostitsyn or Jeff Halpern would be made after warmup.

Video from the dressing rooms and a Canadiens skatearound before their session are below. They’re loaded alphabetically, because that’s how they were processed. A dozen in all.

News was updated by Stubbs this morning live via Twitter here.

1. habs4ever says:

Wonder if the Bruins would like Dr. Mulder to check Chara out today, of course conferring with Dr. Recchi to determine the “over-blown” diagnosis!

2. That Chicago Blackhawks history will be made commercial is god awful.

“History can erase 49 years of history”??? Who the f*** wrote that trash line?

3. habs001 says:

first goal huge…i think dd and pouliot will provide some scoring…
    speaking of pouliot does he not realize that if he does his one goal in his last 30 games that he did last year it will be very hard to bring him back next year..

• J_P says:

Goal scoring? The guy can barely stay on his skates lately. Every time I see him on the ice hes….well, on the ice lol

I really don’t get it. There’s no way the habs can bring him back next year unless he really works hard at improving his game in the off-season.

• Steven says:

I really like the guy when he’s on his game, but at this point, it’s probably better getting someone else if we really want such a low-risk high reward guy :|

4. Bugs says:

NESN poses the question: http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/are-you-still-optimistic-that-the-bruins-can-win-the-series-against-the-canadiens.html
    Habsbros is back for the playoffs, says the Kid is tremendous and the Bruins full of hot air: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/2011/04/priceberg-cometh-and-that-right-gnarly.html
    And lastly, remember that no matter what happens tonight, it’s mission accomplished. Bruins have to win one up here now…

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

5. adam76 says:

I know “you” people always complain, but I love afternoon hockey.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s a big day for rivalries.

Manchester City just beat Manchester Utd.

Next up we have Barcelona versus Real Madrid followed by us against the Broonz.

7. Did anyone else notice that HIO wasn’t updated untill you log in?

Habsnation is still standing.

8. NoTinFoilCups says:

Chara not playing? I certainly hope not. After what I saw on Thursday the Bruins are a better team without him.

9. Tony McLean says:

Gary Galley just said (effectively) on HNIC that Chara’s illness was just that, a virus and that if he came back to play others in the dressing room might be at risk. Flu bug of sorts? “That’s a shame.” Seinfeld.

“If I wake up in the morning in a bed with white sheets I think I’m in the hospital.” John Ferguson in Tex-Made Sheets commercial, 1960’s

10. Say Ash says:

Coyotes getting blown away. They should play the next two games in Winnipeg.

11. punkster says:

Best comment I’ve read on an NESN article?
    “Whether or not Chara plays tonight is in the hands of the team vet”.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

12. tony d says:

Where’s Boone today, hydrating?

13. Cappa says:

Gotta love Cammi!

About Chara’s condition today!
    “I’m no MD, so I’m not gonna be like Mark Recchi and diagnose the other team!!”

HAHA!

14. Jdub1985 says:

Karma’s a b**** … too bad it wasn’t an extended visit.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

And I miss Game 2… ARGGHHHHHH…

Fun police (Work) called me.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

16. Chuck says:

Did the play-by-play guy on NBC call the Coyotes the Washington Generals?

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Pavel Datsyuk was voted the Kharlamov Trophy for best Russian player in the NHL by his peers and the 1st period of DET-PHX is why.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• observer says:

i watched last weeks sun chi-det game in russian on the web. datsyk was unbelievable and i think the announcers spoke about him all game long. they even use english phrases like when chicago scored late “it aint over yet” etc.

18. 24moreCups says:

┏━┳━┓┏┓┏┳━┳┓┏━┓┏━┳━┓┏┓
    ┃┣┫┃┃┃┗┛┃╋┃┗┫━┫┃┣┫┃┃┃┃
    ┃╋┃┃┃┃┏┓┃┃┃╋┣━┃┃╋┃┃┃┣┫
    ┗━┻━┛┗┛┗┻┻┻━┻━┛┗━┻━┛┗┛

19. zozotheclown says:

Hopefully both AK46 and Halpern can go, AK was a hitting machine and played one of his best games despite the injury. We also need Halperns faceoff prowess, as its one of the few areas we seemed to struggle in last game.

20. Cappa says:

For the Hockey Inside/Out IT guys. I like the changes to the website however, Websense has blocked your site because it is “uncategorized”! Please categortize your website to unblock it!!! You’ll get more hits! When it was Habs Inside/Out we had no problem with this issue.

Go Habs Go!!!

21. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t dehydration code for overdose among the famous folk of the world?

22. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Paging doctor Recchi, Paging doctor Recchi,

I wonder if doctor Recchi thinks he was embelishing?

• Steven says:

Nah, he’s gonna try and take the pressure off Chara again and say it’s the water’s fault for not hydrating him enough.

…Or he’ll blame the Habs Medical Staff.

23. RGM says:

That’s too bad about Chara – he was a great pylon on Thursday.

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart
    Support my playoff beard: http://www.beardathon.ca/english/RGM81/profile.aspx

24. I’m sure the hospital gave him a couple of saline IV’s to get all of his levels back to normal. Maybe some electrolytes and potassium as well. Chances are he will feel a bit sluggish tonight but with some good rest, fluids, and proper nutrition leading up to the game he should appear normal. They only way to tell just how tired he is would be to do just like game 1 all over again. Chip it behind him and blow past him a couple of times. Get the big guy skating and using those big muscles as much as possible. They will soak up every ounce of water and energy that he put into his body and by the 3rd period he will have nothing left in the tank. Hopefully the Habs continue to attack his side of the ice all night long.

25. Chuck says:

If Chara doesn’t play, I’ll eat my hat.

26. Tony McLean says:

Chara is embellishing LOL.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Kyle Turris selected 3rd overall in the 2007 Entry Draft. He’s centering the 4th line for Jack Adams winner Dave Tippett.

There’s looking after the kids for you.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• The only reason Phoenix has made the playoffs the last couple years is they’ve abandoned their prospects. It’s almost entirely a veteran team, which is why I never understand why Phoenix’s GM got a bunch of credit last year. Anyone could have done what he did in signing a bunch of vets and ignoring development. That team has almost no future.

28. Dehydration?

This isn’t cancer or a terminal illness or even the common cold.

Drink your 8 glasses of water daily, maybe 12-16 glasses for Chara, get a cat nap in the afternoon and your ready to play tonight.

What’s the big deal with this story, unless their is more than it has been reported.

” The Habs will win the Cup ONLY with Carey Price in the Nets “

29. HabsFanInTampa says:

Where’s Dr. Marcus Recchi M.D.? We need his diagnosis here, stat!

30. Fansincebirth says:

I hate this but…..

I can’t seem to be able to find where I can add an avatar. Can someone tell me how please?

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

31. Bugs says:

“The prayers out of the mouths of the Just shall reach the ears of God, and judgment shall come for the wicked speedily. He that has to be reproved in the penalty box walks in the trace of a loser: and he that fears to lose will turn unto his own heart and choke on it.
    He that is mighty by boldness is known afar off, but a skilled man knows to slip the puck by him.
    He that builds his house as losers before him charge to build his house, is as he that gathers himself stones to build a boat, a loser. The congregation of losers he assembles is now like heaped together, and at the end of either ends is a flame of fire, burning red, and white, and blue.
    The way of losers is piled high with failures, and in their end is only hell, and darkness, and golf.
    But he that keeps justice shall get the understanding thereof. The perfection of the use of fear to waylay those weak of mind is in itself wisdom and understanding. He that is not wise in good, will not be taught, but there is a wisdom that abounds in evil as the wise man knows.”
    -Ecclesiasticus 21

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

32. Rugger says:

IF doesn’t Chara play, Habs 3 B’s 2 in OT. If Chara plays, Habs 4-2 as they will get a couple of PP goals with Chara in the box.

33. Bugs says:

He spent the game crying; no wonder he was dehydrated.
    I heard crying makes you lose twice as much water than sweating; it’s science.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

34. tony d says:

Max’s nonna must’ve put a malocchio on that freak Chara. Now if she could just cast a few more curses on the rest of the team, justice will be served.

35. Danno says:

Water evaporates at a faster rate in high altitudes.
    And when Chara started feeling signs of dehydration he wanted to call 911, but didn’t know the number.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

36. LL says:

It was the stanchion that drank his Gatorade.

37. LizardKing1967 says:

Well, if Chara plays, should we all cry and say they “EMBELISHED” the situation and his health????
    Please.

Jim-out.

I BELIEVE!

38. Bugs says:

Excerpt from latest Habsbros in-depth report and something I’m kinda surprised ain’t the topic numero uno around here: “…what did come to light in all the hoopla, is how utterly tremendous the Priceberg looked, how spectacularly and fabulously his stock has come to rise, how totally unequivocally his stature as the superstar goalie of the hour, bar none, has been established…”

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• Gormdog says:

So.. just to be clear… When you went on and on about how trading Halak was the wrong call because he could see the puck way better than Carey….

Could you ever foresee yourself writing an article like this less than a year later?

Happiest man eating crow in all the world, me thinks!

• Bugs says:

Less than a year later, no.
        Absolutely delighted to eat crow in that respect, but for the record, we always championed the Priceberg on Habsbros.
        I carry on like a goof on this site, but Habsbros has always had a wiser wider view and forever trusted his abilities as well as his destiny for greatness. That remained an absolute.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• Gormdog says:

Fair enough!

I will have to do more Habs Bros. reading, and less Bugs?

Just kiddin’, entertainment is paramount when it comes to posting (IMHO) and you definitely aren’t short on that!

39. HabsFanInTampa says:

Stupid neandrethal doesn’t know when to have liquids. How long have you been an athlete dumba$$?

40. OneTimer says:

Chara is hospitalized? All of Montreal sheds a single tear…

41. CHsam says:

Have some Gatorade.

42. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Har de har

43. Bouleau noir says:

The crazy girafe forgot to drink water…. oh boy.

• Bugs says:

Maybe his timing was off since the act of drinking for this guy requires half an hour for liquid to go down his gullet, ever think about that, buddy?
      Show a little sympathy, c’mon.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

44. Say Ash says:

A real shame. Who’s Plekanec gonna fight now?

45. avatar_58 says:

Normally I’d be on the “never wish harm onto others” camp, but hey – karma’s a bitch.

46. Interesting scenario. If this story is for real, I am sorry to hear about anyone’s misfortune and hope for a speedy recovery. If the Bruins are to win, they NEED Chara in the lineup.

Personnally I think this is a smoke screen to take the pressure of the Bruins for this must win Game 2 game tonight.

Also, with the arrival of Game 3 in Montreal and the investigation happening to Chara on Pacioretty hit, this is a great human sympathizing story.

On the ice tonight: Habs need to play like they did in Game 1 and have no mercies on the Bruins. This is playoff hockey. You can’t let any team find their scoring touch. Fearless Prediction for tonight: Habs 4, Bruins 1.

” The Habs will win the Cup ONLY with Carey Price in the Nets “

• Bill J says:

I am VERY certain, and felt this way the moment I heard about this so called “hospitalization” – I think these theatrics have been put in place to create a false sense of weakness. I certainly hope the Habs do not take Chara lightly. This is the playoffs, expect Chara to be huge.

• TINMAN17 says:

Smoke-screen for sure, RR. C’mon it’s dehydration not cancer. I’d be more concerned for him if they reported that he had a case of toe-jam. Saline, couple hours rest, BOOM, healed. What a mess the B’s are now after one game. Then there is Krecji guaranteeing a game 2 win, they better for their sake or it’s over.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• LizardKing1967 says:

Now that you mention it, I had forgot about the investigation. Guess they need an excuse for not allowing him into the country. LOL

Jim-out.

I BELIEVE!

47. Tony McLean says:

Another example of the Bruins embellishing.

48. Tony McLean says:

That’s a shame. Are the ghosts at work again?

49. observer says:

Dehydration? That’s what Bettman’s favorite owner Jacobs reports! A lot more to this story!

50. deuce6 says:

Dehydration??

Doesn’t Lucic have enough water stored in his hump to compensate his tea mates?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

51. Propwash says:

Prolly pi**ed his pants knowing they could be down two games by the end of tonight.

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Did anyone else notice Chara roasting Paille at the edge of the crease after one of PK’s shots from the left circle (the one that ended up on Thomas’ shoulder, premature whistle)?

Habs were WELL under their skin already, long before game was over. As multiply posted here, tonight we can expect increased physical play to compensate for mental fragility.

53. Mattyleg says:

Uh-oh… a new hockey powerhouse to deal with: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13105572

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. HUDSONHAB says:

He’ll be playing. It’s the Booins way of deflecting questions about the game.

….Hab4life….

55. Mattyleg says:

Uhh, anybody notice how this new site gets tons of spam? The old one didn’t…

Anybody also notice that the phrase “Let’s Facelift bar!” is used as a motivational phrase in one of the ads below?

Genius.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. HabsFanInVictoria says:

Is he playing tonight?

57. DearyLeary says:

Maybe he was crying so much after someone actually had the gall to hit him.

58. Fansincebirth says:

Dr Recchi, can you comment on the Charagate scandal?

“Well, it is my opinion that the Boston Goons organization was greatly exaggerating the dehydrated condition of Chara to try to get the waterboy suspended.”

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

59. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Jeez, that’s weird. I always though he LOOKED like a camel…

60. tony d says:

Go find another site to hawk your wares please.

61. DearyLeary says:

Excellent, my plan of giving him salt water on the bench appears to be working.

62. habitual says:

Hey Mike Boone: Any chance a system administrator can be assigned to delete those idiotic posts from commercial vendors?

63. Danno says:

Chara knows he sucked the other night so now he wants to blame it all on this fake dehydration stuff

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

64. HalifaxHabs says:

OH MY GOD, SOMEONE CALL DR RECCHI!!!

65. Bugs says:

Bruins are already preparing their excuses for losing the series…

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

66. Bugs says:

In-depth report on the Kid: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/2011/04/priceberg-cometh-and-that-right-gnarly.html

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

67. t1tan5 says:

Never good to hear that someone went to the hospital no matter how much I hate the guy.

68. Keith says:

Well Chara, maybe you should…DRINK SOME WATER LOL!!! Just kidding. I’m sure Dr. Recchi will perscribe some bed rest for Saturday.

GO HABS GO!!!

69. 4m3y2j says:

I do believe in karma,when the incident w/ Paccioretti happenned I knew we would meet the bruins and that there would be payback coming theirs and particularly Charas way.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Best karma would be first-round elimination.

Still can’t figure, can’t get over what Chara was trying to do to Pleks late in the 3rd. I mean pinning someone isn’t the same as ‘sending a message’. Did he just lose the plot? Frustration and 2010 flash-backs getting to him? Let’s be sure and give him more of whatever caused that.

Also amazed at how quiet Lucic and Horton were. Did Pleks and co simply take their game away? Or are they less than 100%? Both fine players.

70. LL says:

Karma kicking in?

71. Old Bald Bird says:

No doubt Dr Recchi is on the job.

72. Rugger says:

Bruins are getting their “excuse” ducks in a row I see.

73. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Excellent…Hope you get well for Sunday.

74. nek25plus says:

Sorry, but…blah, blah,blah!

75. HabsProf says:

Spamming scum!! F off!

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!