Bergevin is GM; Gomez unaware of a buyout

Marc Bergevin

Marc Bergevin.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Geoff Molson | Marc Bergevin I, II and III

The Canadiens have their new general manager. He’s  Chicago Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin, whom the team introduced at a Wednesday afternoon news conference in Brossard.

Team owner Geoff Molson described the Bergevin hiring as “the first step toward creating a winning culture” on the club.

Molson frequently alluded to Bergevin’s leadership qualities, communication skills and commitment to winning.

The new GM was understandably reluctant to get specific about player personnel decisions, such as the future of Scott Gomez.

Bergevin listed his priorities as hiring a new coach, signing restricted free agents Carey Price and P.K. Subban and preparing for the June draft, where the Canadiens will have the third overall choice … although Bergevin would not rule out trading the pick if, in his judgement, the move would improve the club.

Bergevin said director of scouting and player development Trevor Timmins will “definitely be at the draft table.”

Assistant general manager Larry Carrière will remain with the team in an undefined role.

And Bergevin’s first phone was to Randy Cunneyworth. The GM considers Cunneyworth one of the team’s assistant coaches, pending the hiring of a new head coach, who will choose his own assistants.

•  •  •

The Chicago Tribune was first out of the blocks with a report in a 2:15 am ET blog item today that the Canadiens would name Blackhawks assistant GM Bergevin Montreal’s new GM. The Tribune attributed the report to a source. TSN and multiple sources later confirmed the news and the Habs made it official shortly after 8:30 am.

Bergevin and NBC analyst Pierre McGuire were apparently leading the race for the job, the candidate pool seemingly having shallowed in the past week.

This morning, Sports Illustrated’s Mike Farber told CJAD that McGuire was informed in the past hour (6:30-7:30 am ET) that McGuire was runner-up in the race, so that pretty much seals the deal. And Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois told both CJAD and RDS that he’s received the call to tell him he was not the chosen one.

Sportsnet reports this morning that Scott Gomez’s contract is likely to be bought out.

This morning, by text message, Gomez told Hockey Inside/Out that he knew nothing of a buyout: “As I’ve said before, that’s a management decision,” Gomez texted. “I only worry about what I can control and I’m already in the gym getting ready for next season. That’s my only focus. I’ll let the media focus on rumours and debate what (the Canadiens) should or shouldn’t do.”

Here’s a Chicago Tribune profile of Bergevin from last December by Chris Kuc, who broke the story this morning. Follow him on Twitter at @ChrisKuc.

In the story, Kuc relates one of prankster Bergevin’s best:

“…which he pulled off while playing for the Blues. He worked with a St. Louis newspaper reporter to concoct a fake story that put Blues GM Larry Pleau in a bad light. Bergevin had the story inserted into the team’s daily clippings, and after Pleau read it, he angrily confronted the reporter before Bergevin revealed he was the culprit.”

Canadiens official release received at 9:40 am ET:

From the Blackhawks’ 2011-12 media guide:

Habs GM history, from their 2011-12 media guide:

Below, in 2002 with St. Louis. © Tom Pidgeon, NHLI via Getty Images

TV interview in French, 1992:

1,105 Comments

1. Mattyleg says:

So who’s still here?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. aj says:

I was thinking of posting my thoughts after the Stanley Cup final but when this news broke out, I knew this is something good and I just can’t pass out to give my opinion. First off, I say Congratulations to Marc Bergevin being the new GM. He wasn’t my pick since I totally vouched for Pierre McGuire. However, I believe what boils down to why Geoff Molson and Serge Savard picked Marc Bergevin is due to his credentials with the Chicago Blackhawks. He won a Stanley Cup as a director of player personnel in the ’09-’10 season. Also, as an experienced/retired NHL defenceman for 20 years and playing for 8 consecutive teams does speak volume. The cons that I believe Bergevin have is his shady side regarding what he did during his stint with the Blackhawks. No one knows what ‘right moves’ he did nor what he was totally responsible to (Since the Blackhawks prefer to keep their business dealings confindetial, a la Pierre Gauthier style). What was been said is, when I listened to TSN 990′s Tony Marinaro interview w/ Chris Kuc of the Chicago tribune this morning, he pointed out that Bergevin was one of the people responsible for making the July postseason trades and one of them is w/ the Philadelphia Flyers by getting Daniel Carcillo to play for Chicago. That trade to me does not sit well since Carcillo is known to be just as an ass (With having 2 suspensions, an Injury, 2 goals, 9 assists, and 11pts this regular season.) like Sean Avery was w/ the Rangers.

If I will compare his pedigree with Pierre McGuire, the one thing that stands out w/ Bergevin is his experience doing Administrative work. McGuire did won 2 Stanley Cups but that was when he was an Assistant Coach w/ Bob Johnson and Scotty Bowman. McGuire did not win a cup as assistant GM with the Hartford Whalers. In Comparison to Bergevin, McGuire did not play Hockey in the NHL level. So pretty much In my opinion that attracted Molson and Savard to pick Bergevin in the interview process. One more important part of the selection of Bergevin is that when it comes to communication, Bergevin does joke with the media and as he said, he’s a ‘people person’. McGuire on the other hand is a ‘say it as it is’ without reservation. McGuire has a reputation to be vocal and somewhat outspoken which can rub off people and sometimes the public. Plus, McGuire by others is viewed having an ego compared to Bergevin having a sense of humour.

Regardless of the circumstances, Pierre McGuire to me is the best candidate for the GM position. McGuire posses hockey knowledge that I believe is important in rebuilding this franchise. Be that as it may that he refers to all he stated as “I” in the first person on TSN 1200 and 1050, many in the Anglophone community in Montreal (i’m not saying ALL) did picked him as a candidate to get the GM postion.

Good Luck then to Mr. Bergevin. If he’s going to get Rick Dudley to be his assistant GM, whatever works! As long as he will do his best to rebuild this franchise. On the head coach position, the most logical choice will be either Marc Crawford or Bob Hartley to take that spot. Patrick Roy is my pick regardless of the emotional factor he brings at the bench and I believe he can coach the Canadiens w/ that kind of flare.

As for the contracts, if speculation does conclude that the Habs will do a buyout with Scott Gomez, Bergevin’s going to have a big problem running this team IMO (and IT MAY affect his credibility as a GM). The best solution with Gomez’s albatross contract is to send him at the AHL level. Also, the possibility of sending him to Europe is the likely a good option to solve this ‘conundrum’.

Other than that, I like everybody else here at HIO will see what’s going happen on how (or “IF”) the ‘New and Improved’ Montreal Canadiens look like for the 2012-2013 season.

3. Adidess says:

Guys are getting tired. Feels like it might end soon with an ugly one (goalie screw up or major mental breakdown on defense).

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

4. Mattyleg says:

Evenin’ blokes,
    Just got in from watching an appalingly bad/boring play.
    How’s this game been?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. Chuck says:

Ha… Boyle with the biggest save of the night… for the Caps.

___________________________________________________

• Stormin says:

That was a game saver sort of for the other team , if you score on your own net it is called an own goal , so i guess that was called an own save

6. Adidess says:

I was just thinking, it’s a good thing Semin isn’t a football QB. Imagine having to read similar musings from guys about how Semin likes his wide-receivers but would rather play with more tight ends. Or that he likes to spread it around from wide-receivers to tight-ends and back.

That would be disgusting!

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

7. Stev.R says:

And let’s begin to look at potential coaches:

Alain Vigneault
    Michel Therrien
    Marc Crawford
    Bob Hartley
    Patrick Roy
    Mike Keenan
    Craig Mactavish
    Terry Murray
    Larry Robinson
    Bruce Boudreau
    Tony Granato
    Dave Tippett

Any other suggestions I can add to the list?

8. Adidess says:

Semin to the box is dangerous. Rangers are due and could soon deliver.

• Chuck says:

It’s only dangerous if you don’t want to get pregnant.

___________________________________________________

• Adidess says:

Good point. ‘Can have consequences’ would be a better way to put it

——————————————–
        A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

• HardHabits says:

The penalty kill aborted all the opportunities for getting scored on even though Semin was in the box for a full 2 minutes.

9. Chuck says:

Ouch…

___________________________________________________

10. Propwash says:

Boyle just took a Semin shot to the chin….

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

11. Stormin says:

Holtby must really like Semin because he just bailed out his butt

12. otter649 says:

Rangers going all in playing 5 forwards on The PP…….

13. Propwash says:

Semin maybe blew it.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Chuck says:

You just beat me to it…

___________________________________________________

14. Adidess says:

This feels like an excellent hire all around. A thorough, deliberate process that ends with the selection of what seems to be the best fit for the job. Very reassuring, for now.

I heard Pierre McGuire on Team 990 this afternoon (ThankGod for mobile apps) and was extremely impressed with his reaction and how he conducted himself. He didn’t have to be so forthright and highly complimentary about how the process went down. He conveyed the emotion of a true passionate Hab.

That said, I have to say I would not have felt as serene as I feel now about the future had PM been the choice. MB feels like a safe, confident choice, somebody whose time has come. PM would have been a bit of a wild card, imo.

15. Stev.R says:

I said it earlier today but Molson is a genius. The way he pretended that Mcguire was a legitimate contender in order to appease the ignorant fans was brilliant. It validates those fans silly opinions about hockey and allows them to feel educated about the game. They then feel invested in the team because they think they are up to date with what’s going on, which then makes them more likely to buy merchandise. And in the end, the team gets money, the team gets the right gm, and the country gets to laugh at mcguire for failing again. Brilliant.

Hockey players are tough dudes, maybe stupid tough, but damn Ithey are tough. Highest compliments from me!

17. Stormin says:

Hendricks just destroyed Mcdonagh, you have to see his body torque and twist in slow motion during the hit

18. Propwash says:

Wow, Hendriks just wrecked McDonough….

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

Ron Mclean is like a waterbug or chipmunk. He can’t hold the same thought for more than 3 seconds, just fricking jumping all over. The CBC may do a nice montage to start a game, but by puck drop the network is amateur hour.

So today is 45th anniversary of Leafs last Cup. Almost feel bad for Leaf fans.

21. commandant says:

Damn, I wonder if John Carlson (26th overall in 2008), would have been the Habs pick at 25th overall if we didn’t make the Tanguay trade, or would we have taken Nemisz like Calgary did, or someone else

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Stormin says:

Timmins was kind of fond of American Born Defense men Fischer, McDonagh etc,, so maybe Carlson would have been his man, damn that Tanguay trade, was another shit the bed trade.

• Stev.R says:

It was nice when Tanguay was healthy. He played really good for us before that season turned to hell (worse than this season I would say).

But could you imagine:
        Subban Carlson
        Beaulieu Tinordi
        Gorges Mcdonagh
        Emelin Ellis

• otter649 says:

Habs & other NHL teams like The American players because they can turn pro earlier than a junior player can since a junior can only play in The NHL or junior ap to age 20 while American College can turn pro in The AHL or NHL before 20……..

• Malreg says:

It was the right idea at the time, though…

So the Nashville punishment has worked so far. Question, has AK played his last game for Nashville? How badly has he screwed up his first UFA contract?

• Stormin says:

Terry Crisp Nashville broadcaster, said today he believes both AK and Radulov will never wear Predator jersey again

If Radulov doesn’t play for Nashville again, then Poile should feel like the madame at a brothel, or a priest who just gave out free pennance to a sinner. Radulov just used the Preds to get his Get out of Jail free card from them.

I don’t blame the Preds for suspending him, but did they not know his character? Again, I admit my stupidity, I hoped when we traded Ak it was for Radulovs playing rights.

• Duracell3 says:

From an economic pov, Radulov was pretty damn good in the last series, say they don’t win without him, for a team on such a budget another series is a pretty big financial plus. That and his KHL team fully expects him back next year. If you’re Nashville you might as well use him when you have maybe your best chance (pending losing one of their top 2 d-men next year).

23. Stormin says:

Marc Bergevin is from the F…….. Point,, got to love that,,, no doubt Les Habitants wili become a much tougher team to play against.

• ZepFan2 says:

Yup, his signing made my day. A fellow Pointer running the Canadiens… :smile:

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Stormin says:

Magnans Tavern & Roast Beef, Northern Electric, Northern Telecom, Nortel

• ZepFan2 says:

The last three you mentioned are no longer in business. It’s condos and rock climbing in the old NE building now.

Beware the yuppie with lots of money. :razz:

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Stormin says:

My Dad told me when he was young just walked into Northern electric and you had a job, last time I saw it it was just broken out windows, well at least you say they have turned into condos ,

Not being from Montreal or anywhere near there (understatement) I am assuming The Point is a tough neighbourhood? And this was the case 30 years ago?

• smiler2729 says:

And a proud neighbourhood, tight knit too…

_______________________________________
          Calling it like it is:
          Jack Edwards is a clam.
          Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• ZepFan2 says:

Not that “tough” these days. Condos by the dozen are being built, houses are being bought up and flipped. Location, location….

Remember, the Point is about 15 minutes from the Centre Bell.

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• boing007 says:

Gentrification. It began in the early 80s: Saint-Louis Square, Prince Arthur, among others.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Stormin says:

Very tough area of Montreal
          In my Dad’s day quite a bit of Irish activity , which eventually led to us leaving and moving across the bridge,

• ZepFan2 says:

Not as tough as it was growing up in my day. There used to be fights right in the middle of the street in the old days. No guns or knives either. It was wild.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, there are still people here that you don’t f***k with. If you know what I mean.
            ———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

Thanks guys for the answer, appreciate.

• 24moreCups says:

Yeah the Point was/still kind of is a tough neighbourhood, used be a mostly Irish part of Montreal I think. I’m not from the Point but I live and grew up in Verdun mostly which is right beside the Point.

When I found out today that Marc is from there it sure put a smile on my face.

24. Stormin says:

Semin’s production has totally dried up

• smiler2729 says:

Blue pill

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• 24moreCups says:

Too bad because the guys got all the talent to be a really good player bur I don’t know what’s wrong with him. I get the feeling when watching him play lately that he’ll be playing in the KHL soon if he doesn’t get it together.

25. frontenac1 says:

Ahhhh! Nice sunny day ,cold beer ,Pred Ice Girl out on my fishing boat…………

Ovechkin needs a few lessons from the Jacques Lemaire play-book. He’s been reading too much Guy Lafleur.

27. smiler2729 says:

“Hamrlik gives way to Semin”

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

28. frontenac1 says:

Hey did you guys see that ice girl handle that live catfish!

• smiler2729 says:

Kinda turned me on… like an Ellie Mae flashback

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

29. alfieturcotte says:

Anyone have a link to stream tonight’s game?

30. frontenac1 says:

Uh-Oh! Smitty goes for a skate and Legwand scores.Catfish on the ice!

So how come Louis Jean has not come out with any more details regarding his Gomez buyout? In fact I went to the National Enquirer’s Sports section before logging on here and I can no longer find their Gomez story. Just wonderful that a supposed National Sports Station can have their useless pawns in the field tweet absolute BS and not be held accountable.

Don’t get me wrong, Gomez shouldn’t be on our roster next year. But what did we learn today? That Rogers Sportsnet really has an axe to grind with the Montreal Canadiens. The day that we announce our new GM, Rogers decides to try and upstage that announcement with a BullShit (yes I left out the asterisk) report that Montreal was buying out Gomez.

Screw you Rogers, and screw you Louis Jean, I hope you are not allowed in the Bell Centre again. This to me is a clear example of a Toronto Centric sports station having a personal agenda. Why else make up this story and now at the end of the day, they make no mention of it.

I do love where I live, just too bad it is in Ontario.

Oh yah, good evening all! Happy Marc Bergevin Day! :)

• punkster says:

….\”,__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
      …..\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
      …….\,,,,,—~~~~;;;;;;;;,”::::\
      ……….”"”~~–,,,,,,,,,,-”::::::::::\
      ……………….\::::::::::::::::::::::\

• Stormin says:

I do love where I live, just too bad it is in Ontario. (LOL)

Burlington actually quite nice though, My poor Mom is stuck in Scarberia after moving from a much nicer Port Hope

and you are dead on that was total bush league by Louis Jean

• smiler2729 says:

I had to move away from Etobicoke (traffic, prices, etc), still work there though… it’s a long way from my youth in Montreal. *BURP!*

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• commandant says:

also, Habs and Jets are the only NHL teams with their local rights on TSN instead of Sportsnet.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Propwash says:

I take those reports with a grain of salt until the team officially announces something.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah well Hockey Central at Noon was a complete Habs putdown led by Kypreos & MacLean

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Habfan10912 says:

We were all wondering where you were. Louis Jean reported you were spited with AK and Radolov in downtown Burlington bar hopping. HB and Habfab thought that it probably was true but I said no, not my buddy. He’s probably at church or feeding the poor or something like that. :)

———————————–

Golfing with the usual 19th hole. Yikes, now I feel guilty for not doing what what I should have been doing as you suggest. I will make up for that later this week. Jim, you are indeed a class act.

32. alfieturcotte says:

Does anyone have a link to tonight’s rangers game? I live in New York. Thank you.

33. jedimyrmidon says:

Small nitpick about Bergevin’s interview with HNIC: referring to the Blackhawks as “us” when Pheonix beat them in the first round. Guess it’s understandable when he played for them and was part of their management for 7 years, and they were still his team when they got beat.

Heard that as well, I think he was just being genuine as to where he spent that past 7 years.

He is tickled pink to be the Habs GM, don’t think for a minute that Us in the future will refer to Habs.

I have done the same thing after a job change etc… and never meant disrespect to new company in the least.

• smiler2729 says:

Well, he was part of their team when they were eliminated last week.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

34. commandant says:

I was impressed with Bergevin on HNIC. Well spoken

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Bill says:

He was on? Time to rewind …

EDIT: saw the interview. Love the guy. So glad it’s him and not The Other Guy. I’m sure I’d be deafened right now if it were the other way ’round. Count me in as happy about this hiring, and about the process in general. Seems they looked at a lot of good candidates and made a careful hire. Night all.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• zorro says:

He seems very straight forward, and down to earth to me, not like that pompous Burke or Mr. Gauthier. This is encouraging.

35. novahab says:

Hello Marc this is Patrick just do as I tell you and you’ll be ok, Now calll the press conference and announce me as coach. Let go and win the F%^$ing cup.

36. frontenac1 says:

Glad they are keeping Cunney in the organization,he is a class act. New GM on HNIC in 2nd intermission.

37. Captain aHab says:

My hope is that we’ll see a culture of patience and determination from now on, instead of panic and knee-jerk.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

38. hansolo says:

Anyone else see Hal Gill sporting the Mohawk when he was interviewed on NBC? Didn’t know he had it in him. He looks “mean” — Kostitsyn and Radulov will need to mind their ‘p’s and ‘q’s. As for the Coyotes, well, we’ll see what Big Hal’s makeover does to them.

39. Stormin says:

Top five annoying TV people

1) Vince Offer The Sham Wow schtiky guy
    2) Frank Dangelo cheetah power surge guy
    3) PJ Stock
    4) Glenn Beck
    5)anyone who uses the word pinwheel

40. kempie says:

And Cherry gets away with:

“You guys don’t know how these guys play. You don’t know the Hunters. You don’t know dick.”

Now that is douchbage genius.
    Well played Sir.

41. Stormin says:

Bill we better hope Bergevin doesn’t sign semin or HIO will be in for a top 10000 list

42. Psycho29 says:

CBC is putting commercials on DURING play now? Is Bob Cole the director also????

43. JohnBellyful says:

Wrong turn.

• Habfan10912 says:

It sure is a happy place. I wonder where Burl is today. Out celebrating you think?

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Probably.
        Mind you, it doesn’t take much for Burl, or as I like to call him, Burl’, to celebrate. I said good morning to him the other day and he replied: ‘I’ll drink to that.”

• HabFab says:

You don’t suppose…nah, couldn’t be…too hard to imagine…not a closet McGuire supporter?…say it ain’t so Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. slapshot777 says:

Guys, who are the 8% of people who voted no as to Bergevin not being a good choice for the Habs.

He from his first press conference alone seems head and shoulders better than PG. No one knows what Marc will bring to the Habs until he starts to make his moves on this team.

To just vote “NO” before he has done anything is just plain stupid or are just Leaf or Bruin fans trolling the site.

• Captain aHab says:

McGuire fanboys. Or Team990 staffers.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Habfan10912 says:

Bruins fans?

———————————–

• JUST ME says:

From reading the posts here i think that this 8 % are die hard
      McGuire frustrated fans. It`s O.K. He was a good candidate but one had to be chosen and Bergevin seems a good choice.

It`s been a good day when you realize that things are really changing for the better . We are leaving the era of former Ottawa Senators employees and definitely leaving a way of seeing things in the past.Mostly what i like is the fact that this guy likes to laugh and have fun. In any business this is a winning attitude.

45. Stormin says:

Nice little piece on CBC, before tonight’s Game
    Cassie Canpbell was up close and personal with Hamrlik And Semin

46. Strummer says:

Is it true that when Bergevin finally waives Gomez to the minors or wherever- he’ll send him off with a shaving cream pie-in -the-face?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

47. JohnBellyful says:

the other
    evening
    when so
    many puns
    were made
    about his
    name, so much so that the competition got pretty
    stiff as to who could outdo the other, which I found
    rather sad
    me lowering
    myself to
    do that
    sort of
    wordplay

48. fins420 says:

Is that Timmins in the background of that pic of Bergevin?

49. Selkie says:

gotta say some friends of mine, life long HABS fans we wanted Pierre, i don’t get annoyed with him at all infact when the greatest coach in hockey has hired him and would do it again yes Scotty (deleted)Bowman i would listen no doubt in my mind and it would have been great to see him in management. but i love this guys attitude and if he brings our HABS back to winning ways i have no problem with that. i’ll be watching all the time like i have my whole life and i wish this guy all the best! NOUS SOMMES CANADIENS!

• Trisomy 21 says:

If Don Cherry brought the Habs back to winning ways I wouldn’t have a problem with that either. It’s too bad many people care more about the politics than the game but hey, what can you do.
      This really doesn’t have much to do with your post now that I think about it.

Game time! see ya later!

51. ZepFan2 says:

What happened to the live blog Boone promised?

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

52. TorontoHabsFan says:

Seeing as how neither will be playing in Nashville next year, who would you prefer in Montreal next season- Kostitsyn or Radulov*?

I say Radulov – we know damn well what we have in Kostitsyn, and if we have to pay $1m more for Radulov I’d be okay with that risk.

*Provided that Radulov actually plans on staying in the NHL and isn’t going back to the KHL as I heard earlier.

53. The Dude says:

Talk here on the West coast is a former Habs coach is heading back and his name is Alain….

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!
      OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

HE WOOULD BEE PEEEEEERRRFFFEECCCTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kempie says:

I’ll take him.

• Captain aHab says:

He still has a year on his contract and he ain’t doing half bad.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• 24moreCups says:

Yeah I can’t see the Canucks firing him, he’s done a pretty good job so far with them. Winning the Presidents Trophy two seasons in a row, bringing them to the Stanley Cup finals last season and ending up losing in the first round this season is still pretty good if you ask me.

But if they do end up canning him, I wouldn’t mind giving him another shot at it.

54. commandant says:

OMG, they updated the poll

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

55. Sal from the Hammer says:

First off. Very sad news regarding Junior Seau. Great competitor. RIP.

Bergevin has been at or near the top of my list since his name first came up. Good sign that Jeff Molson is paying attention. Looking forward to a long and successful tenure as Habs GM. Now we can get on with it…bon chance!!

• SuperHabFan says:

I turned on sports center expecting commentary on the new GM but then Junior was the head line. I was immediately heart broken. Such a competitor. I was a huge fan. As a lifelong Pats fan I was more disappointed he didn’t get his super bowl in ’06 than the team not going undefeated.

56. HabFab says:

Time for Marc to get to work, top 100 plus draft picks form Hockey Prospectus; http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1305

57. 69HABS says:

Bergevin make the call to Patrick Roy tonight!

Price wil sign for two years max. Then he can get out of Montreal & spread his wings!

58. hansolo says:

Marc Bergevin seemed remarkably familiar, and it finally hit me. He is almost a ringer for Jeff Goldblum

• Bill says:

Hahaha, true. Now I’m imagining him talking like Jeff Goldblum: “So you two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?”

Full Breezer 4 Life

• JohnBellyful says:

With the glasses, yes. Without the glasses, looking straight ahead at the camera, as he was for the interview shown on That’s Hockey, he reminded me more of another actor, Peter Coyote. I hope he turns out to be Wile E.

• Trisomy 21 says:

lol I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture this morning. I didn’t feel like looking up the guys name though

59. Captain aHab says:

The McGuire fan boys talk about him like the guy cannot make a mistake…that’s what irks me about him. How soon people forget that he once tabbed Komi, Dion and Beauchemin as the next Big 3….and the guy also said that he would bring in Vinny’s anchor of a contract. I’m sure he has qualities but let’s stop hyping this guy like he has no ability to fail. The jury will be out on Bergevin for a while but we’ll need to give him some time to deal with the steaming pile of crap Mr. gauthier left him with.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Far as I’m concerned he can GM the Laffs. He has a love affair with their fans anyway. Whew!! Dodged a bullet there Captain!

60. rhino514 says:

Kinda hope Cunneyworth stays. He can´t speak french so he will not be a threat to the new coach. Hopefully the new coach is ok just picking one assistant.
    Seems weird Bergevin telling Cunneyworth he is the assistant coach when it is probable a new coach will be hired in short order and will want his own assistants.

• Captain aHab says:

I’m not sure why he should be kept honestly…he didn’t impress me much with his coaching. I guess I’m ambivalent about it. If he’s still under contract I’m guessing he’ll stay.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

61. Un Canadien errant says:

For those of you who want to learn a little more about the Junior Seau passing, here is the website I visit frequently for news of the Chargers.

Quite a few elegies in remembrance and honour of Junior today. The Union-Tribune is a quality paper, and I’m sure they will cover the story in depth over the next few days.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

62. Habsolutely says:

My very credible sources tell me that Marc Bergevin, (prankster that he is) is currently looking for property in Vermont. Just to piss people off.

63. JUST ME says:

If he didn`t , i think he probably knows by now in what he was getting involved. 4 hours after the press conference he is still giving interviews… Trying to find who else would get such a buzz in Montréal can`t find anyone…

64. habsfan0 says:

What wasn’t revealed during the press conference was whether Bergevin is a vegan, a vegetarian, or a carnivore.

Given recent history, I can’t believe the Habs would overlook an important detail like this.

65. PeterStone says:

oh yea, i can see why you all hate Pierre McGuire so much .. he is so arrogant … the guys a class act, knows more about hockey than 99% of the population, and he LOVES the Montreal Canadiens. He would have been a great choice too. its pretty easy to spew alot of tough talk behind a screen and a keyboard, and many here are screen tough .. some of you ought to try a little thinking before typing once in a while.

Best of luck to Marc Bergevin … he said 2 things I was happy to hear … more than 1 scout in Quebec (finally) and Trevor Timmins stays. Renaud Lavoie hinted that Timmins was pushed into drafting Fischer in ’06 instead of Giroux.

• punkster says:

Not to argue the point but I know at least a dozen posters here who love the Habs and know more hockey than 99% of the population. And a few of them are class guys.

Well, a couple of them.

OK, maybe one of them.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habsolutely says:

Nope, you’re wrong Punkster. Haven’t you got the memo yet? anyone who isn’t a McGuire fan knows nothing about hockey. At least that’s the fanboy mantra. It’s actually pretty damn hilariious. Almost as funny as watching them all come on here and cry about it.

• HardHabits says:

I like your POV that McGuire was touted as runner-up (and would’ve been regardless who was selected) as an ego stroke and in hopes that some other franchise would consider giving him a job.

It was one friend doing another friend a favour. Nothing more. Nothing less. McGuire as GM would’ve been a disaster. Thankfully it isn’t going to happen.

• twilighthours says:

John bellyful?

• HabFanSince72 says:

I believe people didn’t want him to manage the Habs because he acts like a buffoon on TV.

And they weren’t sure it was all an act.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Peter, we often tend to overgeneralize here on HIO, pretty much 100% of the time. I think saying that “you all hate Pierre McGuire so much…” is one of these inaccuracies.

Most people on here who opposed his candidacy did so on solid ground, with factual arguments provided. Some, me included, were passionately against the notion. Most posters however can make the difference between the candidate for the job and the man though, and have some sympathy for him for not getting the job he wanted badly. While some of us will resort to juvenile name-calling sometimes in the rush to make a point, I think it’s appropriate to say that while he was not the consensus first choice for the job, nobody wishes him any ill.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• adamkennelly says:

McGuire is annoying as hell – that’ why people don’t like him…also Habs need to become the class of the NHL again and hiring a guy who has not worked in hockey management in 10 years is clearly not a good move, cause if it was, he would have been hired after being out 5 years, or 6, or 7…he is a TV guy – plain and simple – he should have not been considered for this gig. Props for hiring MB – I suspect that either Denis Savard or Guy Carbonneau will be hired to coach this team.

66. smiler2729 says:

For all you Pierre McGuire haters, do yourselves a favour and listen to his spot today on Melnick’s show (I’m sure it will be up on the TSN990 site soon), it will dispell your juvenile hate for the man, if it doesn’t, oh well…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• commandant says:

I don’t hate Pierre the man.

I hate the idea of Pierre running the Canadiens.

I’m much happier with a guy who has actually worked for an organization in the last 15 years, and not been sitting on the sidelines, where criticisms are easy to make and decisions are few and have no consequences.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• secretdragonfly says:

Well spoken.

• Habsolutely says:

Same here. I’ve got nothing personal against him. He may be a great guy. I just didn’t want him to be the GM of the Habs. I’m fine with him working as a GM for another team and wish him good luck. Not sure why the fanboys are so upset with anyone who doesn’t think this guy is the second coming.

• smiler2729 says:

Oh I am more than happy with Marc Bergevin as GM way more than Pierre McGuire, I just thought McGuire got quite a beating here just for how he looks or his TV personna.

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

agree, I listen to the interview, he handled all the questions with class.
      And he wasn’t fealing sorry for himself, he was telling everyone to support Bergevin, and that the Habs ownership is really great.
      He also said that he wouldn’t take any other GM job in the NHL accept that Habs because he has a amazing deal with NBC.
      If anyone wants to take a listen, it’s probably gona be on the tsn990 website.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“he wouldn’t take any other GM job in the NHL”

LOL.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Smiler, agree. Big time comeback from where he was this morning. Sounded like a different man.

———————————–

• GrimJim says:

Do you have a link or transcript of his morning comments?

• Habfan10912 says:

I dont. They played them this morning on team990. Look, it was shortly after the call from Molson so I’m sure emotions were very high. Wasn’t anything he said it was more tone and timing. He’s more then made up for it this afternoon. Sorry, maybe team990 has it on their site.

———————————–

• Stormin says:

Smiler I agree 100%, that was an amazing segment, man the part about the interviews was so interesting and truthful, what a classy response from a very disappointed yet extremely content man. I can only imagine how he relied on his family and friends and feels just fine now and looking forward to the game tonight.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I completely agree with commandant. How are you dealing with you juvenile hate for Plekanec btw?

• smiler2729 says:

I may not like Plekanec as a player (losing faceoffs and calling his game ‘a little girl’) but I’ve never made fun of the person, always said he seemed like a good guy, just overpaid and overrated.

I only get personal with Habs’ opponents.
        _______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Habsolutely says:

Ya really, someone introduce Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle.

67. newbrunswick troy says:

well it,s finally good to see a new chapter start!!
    I was never confident in P.G,s abilities from the get go, however i still have a soft spot in my heart for Gainey as when he came to Montreal it was for a new start since his late wife had a long hard battle with cancer, and then of course the death of his daughter…just seems to me that a very good hockey man was lost in all his personal tragedies????

68. Les Canayens says:

Interesting thing from the 1992 interview – when asked if he ever considered playing for the Canadiens, Marc Bergevin said: “I never thought I would play for the Canadiens because I think I’m not good enough for them. I was drafted by Chicago , traded to the New York…deep down I would like to play for the Habs, but I don’t think I am talented enough for them. I always put them in a class of its own.”

If his view still holds, that means no more mediocre players for us. Although that is very hard to achieve in a salary cap system.

69. rogieshan says:

Just a question: Is Pierre McGuire being considered as a head coach candidate?

70. Les Canayens says:

I cannot stop laughing at the french interview, which is a serious piece, where Marc Bergevin is wearing a shirt with “BUM” written on it.

Bonus comical point: Michel Beaudry as the interviewer, who is now strictly a comedian/humoriste. It’s like I’m constantly waiting for him to burst out a joke.

edit: given his reputation as a prankster, I would not be surprised if he wore that shirt on purpose.

71. JohnBellyful says:

We’ll find out tonight how well PM took the news of Bergevin’s hiring:

“Pierre, the Caps have outplayed the Rangers the first 10 minutes of the game. It looks like Tortorella gave them a real good going-over that last stoppage of play.”
    “That’s right, Mike. It wasn’t a pleasant thing to see. My heart went out to those guys, grown men giving their all only to be told they’re useless. In public. I don’t think anybody should ever be treated that way but that’s the NHL these days.”
    “Uh, okay, Pierre, we’ll check in with you later…”

“Pierre, the fans are still standing and booing five minutes after the Caps’ goal was ruled a non-goal. Are they right to be mad? The referee said he was in process of blowing his whistle.”
    “Well, he did blow it! The call, that is. That goal should have counted. But anyone who’s been around the league as long as I have knows incompetence is more the norm than the exception when it comes to making the right call. Unfortunately, it’s the decent folk, like the underdog Washington Capitals – and others – who get the shaft by other people’s bad decisions.”
    “Um, ah, thanks for the insight, Pierre. Looking forward to your next keen observation from ice level …”

“Pierre, that was quite the show Ryan McDonagh just put on there, carrying the puck from behind his net, weaving his way through the entire Capital team, and then making Holtby look like an AHL goalie with an incredible deke to tie the game at 3-3.”
    “Looked like Bobby Orr, didn’t he, Mike! Mind you, one’s a Canadian boy born in Parry Sound, weighing seven pounds eight ounces, who went on to become a superstar with the Boston Bruins, and an eight-time winner of the Norris Trophy, which was awarded for the first time in 1954 to Red Kelly of the Detroit Red Wings.
    McDonagh, on the other hand, is an American – Minnesota’s Mr. Hockey in 2007. However, unlike the Bruins, the team that drafted Ryan let their future superstar slip through their fingers in a controversial trade with the Rangers for Scott Gomez. We just saw who got the better of that deal, and you’ll be seeing many more of those moments with Ryan in what promises to be a magnificent career. That goal he just scored, Mike, is just another painful reminder of what can happen to a team when it doesn’t have the right people in place at the top.”
    “Well, McDonagh was certainly in the right place – on the ice – at the right time – one minute to go in regulation – to send this game into overtime but it will be hard to top what he just did.”

“Pierre, I know you’ve seen a lot of games in your time but the game that just finished has got to be ranked among three best ever played! Four-and-a-half periods of overtime. Who’s your Monster of the Game?”
    “That’s an easy call, Mike. Roman Hamrlik. Here’s a player everyone gave up on but he proved them wrong tonight. Yes, he was -3 and in the penalty box when McDonagh scored the tying goal, but it was his clearing shot from deep inside his own end that took a crazy bounce off a stanchion that sent Jay Beagle in on a breakaway for the winning goal.
    However, I will give Beagle a honourable mention for playing with a dislocated shoulder for most the game after scoring his second goal while killing a two-man penalty.
    Now if you want to talk about Monsters who aren’t honourable let
    “Our time’s up, folks. Your local news is next. Be sure to join me and Pierre for the series’ fourth game Saturday.”

• Habfan10912 says:

LOL – Wasn’t as bad as that but I did sense a bit of ungratefulness from PM this morning. I understand it was right after he was informed and he probably was disappointed so I don’t want to make to much out of this but in answer to a question about next up for the new GM he replied something like, he will need to improve his pro scouting or he won’t last long. More tone then anything but on this day he should have been more graceful and said I wish him luck. Next week he can start picking at him.
      Maybe it was just me.

———————————–

• Cal says:

As far as I’m concerned, Old Egghead was never really in the running. Yolk, that is.

• D Mex says:

Pierre McGuire has to step back and see the positive in this :
          The first 2 times he was a Bridesmaid, today he can say he’s the Maid of Honour. And he still has NBC – and the Senators …

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• HabFab says:

MiB has destroyed the Peanut Monster…all hail MiB!!!!!!

72. HABitual Fan says:

After nearly 50 years as a Habs fan, I would have had great difficulty cheering for a team led by Pierre McGuire. Thank you, thank you THANK YOU Marc Bergevin, for accepting the offer! If not, it looks like we would have had ‘mighty mouse’ himself leading the fold. Hope it works out for you and the organization.

“… it’s still better than cheering for the Leafs!”

• Habfan10912 says:

Lots of us seem to feel that way HAB. MB seems to have his stuff together. Boy I hope he can make us a cup contender again.

———————————–

73. chelseafan says:

Who should we take at #3?

• Stormin says:

IMO a trade for Jordan Stall or pick Alex Galchenyuk

• chelseafan says:

i agree- on both accounts. But if we keep plecks, we might want to get a big left winger- maybe forsberg…

• Count Jacques-youlahHHH says:

Trade up and get creative and make the oilers trade their 1st pick to u cuz they need D and some how bergevin should make his early impresision on the club by nabbing the 1 only true prize in this draft.Nail Yakupov.Anybody else is just a crap shoot.Get Nail and you shall prevail.For heavans sake this club has missed a true superstar top 10 league scorerer for decades now.So close to 1st at 3rd we gotta make it happen!Do i Bergyyy!

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• chelseafan says:

what should we offer for the #1? Our #3 and … I really can’t see anything besides maybe Tonordi and Weber or Diaz. Would they go for it?

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

nahh, Yakupov is good and all, but the guy’s 5,9
          The fans would go NUTS if we were to draft another smurf forward.

Why not trade the pick for Bobby Ryan?

He’s a big, skilled LW and he’s only 26

• topher5468 says:

that would be awesome, Id do it in a heartbeat

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• commandant says:

Trade up for Yakupov or take Galchenyuk

Not a fan of the Staal trade. I like him, but he’s a second line centre. He’s basically a bigger Plekanec, and really hasn’t proven to be a number 1.

I’d take him, but not at the price of number 3.

We have too many 2nd liners, we need an elite 1st line top 10-15 in the league at his position forward, and so I say swing for the fences with the pick.

Staal is also UFA in 2013, which means he could be one and done… or he is getting a huge raise, while your draft pick has some salary stability on an ELC and RFA deals.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Habfan10912 says:

Murphy or Forsberg.
      Edit: I’ll add that the needs are so many we really should pick the highest rated regardless of position. We’re going to end up with a good player.
      ———————————–

• Count Jacques-youlahHHH says:

turner ‘skates in mud ‘ stevenson for Oleg petrov’s game worm diaper.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• Habfan10912 says:

I have no idea what you mean here but I do like your trade up proposal. Seems as Nail is the top of this class.

———————————–

• Stormin says:

Only one problem Edmonton would demand PK Subban for the first pick, and that cost is too high

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh boy Stormin. Not doing that. What about Gomez? :)

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

Ryan Murray. Big Canadian D man who is mean or Dumba. If we can trade up to get Nail take him but if not I am not impressed with the other forwards all that much but the D men look better. It sucks cause we really need to bring in a star forward

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

74. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Let’s just say that after years of Gainey and Gauthier and their shallow, manipulative personalities, that it’s refreshing to see a GM that’s young, honest, and determined to make this team a contender.

let’s wish Bergevin good luck

GO HABS GO!

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree that Gauthier was shallow but gosh, maybe its my vision of #23 still dancing in my head, but I never thought of Gainey that way. Today is a good day for us Habs fans. In a few years lets hope we look back at this day as a Great DAY. Cheers.

———————————–