Bergevin is GM; Gomez unaware of a buyout

Marc Bergevin

Marc Bergevin.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Geoff Molson | Marc Bergevin I, II and III

The Canadiens have their new general manager. He’s  Chicago Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin, whom the team introduced at a Wednesday afternoon news conference in Brossard.

Team owner Geoff Molson described the Bergevin hiring as “the first step toward creating a winning culture” on the club.

Molson frequently alluded to Bergevin’s leadership qualities, communication skills and commitment to winning.

The new GM was understandably reluctant to get specific about player personnel decisions, such as the future of Scott Gomez.

Bergevin listed his priorities as hiring a new coach, signing restricted free agents Carey Price and P.K. Subban and preparing for the June draft, where the Canadiens will have the third overall choice … although Bergevin would not rule out trading the pick if, in his judgement, the move would improve the club.

Bergevin said director of scouting and player development Trevor Timmins will “definitely be at the draft table.”

Assistant general manager Larry Carrière will remain with the team in an undefined role.

And Bergevin’s first phone was to Randy Cunneyworth. The GM considers Cunneyworth one of the team’s assistant coaches, pending the hiring of a new head coach, who will choose his own assistants.

•  •  •

The Chicago Tribune was first out of the blocks with a report in a 2:15 am ET blog item today that the Canadiens would name Blackhawks assistant GM Bergevin Montreal’s new GM. The Tribune attributed the report to a source. TSN and multiple sources later confirmed the news and the Habs made it official shortly after 8:30 am.

Bergevin and NBC analyst Pierre McGuire were apparently leading the race for the job, the candidate pool seemingly having shallowed in the past week.

This morning, Sports Illustrated’s Mike Farber told CJAD that McGuire was informed in the past hour (6:30-7:30 am ET) that McGuire was runner-up in the race, so that pretty much seals the deal. And Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois told both CJAD and RDS that he’s received the call to tell him he was not the chosen one.

Sportsnet reports this morning that Scott Gomez’s contract is likely to be bought out.

This morning, by text message, Gomez told Hockey Inside/Out that he knew nothing of a buyout: “As I’ve said before, that’s a management decision,” Gomez texted. “I only worry about what I can control and I’m already in the gym getting ready for next season. That’s my only focus. I’ll let the media focus on rumours and debate what (the Canadiens) should or shouldn’t do.”

Here’s a Chicago Tribune profile of Bergevin from last December by Chris Kuc, who broke the story this morning. Follow him on Twitter at @ChrisKuc.

In the story, Kuc relates one of prankster Bergevin’s best:

“…which he pulled off while playing for the Blues. He worked with a St. Louis newspaper reporter to concoct a fake story that put Blues GM Larry Pleau in a bad light. Bergevin had the story inserted into the team’s daily clippings, and after Pleau read it, he angrily confronted the reporter before Bergevin revealed he was the culprit.”

Canadiens official release received at 9:40 am ET:

From the Blackhawks’ 2011-12 media guide:

Habs GM history, from their 2011-12 media guide:

Below, in 2002 with St. Louis. © Tom Pidgeon, NHLI via Getty Images

TV interview in French, 1992:

1,105 Comments

1. Un Canadien errant says:

I have to credit Mattyleg with the creation of this HIO meme, but I do agree that the WWPMHD angle will be very productive for quite a few years on this board.

WWPMHD: “What would Pierre McGuire Have Done?”

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

2. H.Upmann says:

Woohooooo!!! Fresh air!!! Now the Leafs should fire Burke and hire McGuire Lol!!!

3. chelseafan says:

Bergevin is a great chioce! As for buying out Gomez- it would be idiotic to take a 3-4 mil cap hit. Give him a tryout and then… see you in Hamilton. Besides a trade, there is no other logical move.

4. Gerry H says:

Quick thought after viewing highlights from the presser:

What hit me is that this guy enjoys his work. The tomfoolery speaks to that, as do his comments this afternoon. As I keep telling my young adult children, THAT is the key to success.

I have a ton of respect for Bob Gainey, but his Eyeore demeanour and sudden resignation speak to how little he really enjoyed the job. Likewise, Gauthier seemed stiff and uncomfortable in his role, at least publicly.

Perhaps not the most important critereon for a GM, but an important consideration for any job nonetheless.

5. Mavid says:

according to TSN he has already moved Randy back to assistant coach..

6. Mavid says:

I am completely deligted that it is NOT McGuire..after the horrific season we had, we don’t need any more embarrassment by having that fool anywhere near our team…YA! YA! YA!

7. JF says:

Good press conference. I liked that Marc Bergevin seemed very sincere and that he expressed his own thoughts, even if he was a little inarticulate and obviously nervous, rather than speaking in polished clichés that mean essentially nothing. And I’m increasingly impressed by Geoff Molson. His determination to build a winner is palpable. What I liked best: he said of Marc Bergevin that “il croit que l’équipe sera bâtie pour le succès à long terme par l’entremise du recrutement et du développement des joueurs” (the team will be built for long-term success through the draft and player development). I also liked that Bergevin plans to increase the number of scouts in Quebec and make every effort to see that outstanding Quebec or francophone talents like Claude Giroux are not passed over.

• ABHabsfan says:

Claude Giroux is from Ontario

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• JF says:

I know; that’s why I said “Quebec or francophone talents.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Hearst Ont is Hab-country.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ABHabsfan says:

I grew up not far away, just down the Valley. Everyone was a Habs fan, you’re right

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh
          Correcting myself; I thought Hearst was near Hawksbury but no where close. It’s north of Timmins!

• otter649 says:

Ex-Hab Claude Larose was from Hearst…..

• Stormin says:

From what I can decipher from JF’s post he says Quebec or Francophone talents. I would guess he means any player from Our Back Yard English or French Quebecers (like Mike Matheson Fluently Bilingual from Pointe Claire go get him Marc at #33 or trade down ) and also Franco Ontario boys or Franco Canadians as well that grow up bleeding blue blanc et rouge

• Rugger says:

Maybe our 2nd and 3rd for someone’s late 1st to get Matheson?

• Stormin says:

This is where Bergevin’s expertise in player evaluation and his endless Rolodex of contacts will come in handy, he will know exactly who his planning on taking Matheson and how far he may or may not have to move , Move down with a swap of our #33 pick and we will have to throw in a later round pick and or maybe a Palusha type player, or maybe he will find that Matheson will slip into the second round and we get him with the 33 pick

• HabFab says:

I would rather keep that 3rd. We are talking about prospects here…there is no guarantee Matheson makes it, contrary to Stormin’s pimping :)

• Gerry H says:

He also played in the Q, not the OHL.

• boing007 says:

I’m getting déjà vu. Where have I heard comments very similar to this one in the past twenty years? Was it Pat Burns hiring? Can’t remember.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

8. showey47 says:

Maguire may turn out to be a good g.m. some day but will probably need to swallow his pride and take on an assistant role before somebody gives him a shot as a g.m.

• 44har48 says:

Him swollowing that pride will be like a garden snake swollowing a rat. I’m just happy he will be on someone elses team. Assuming he is not picked as ast GM here…gulp.

9. JoeC says:

After pondering on the presser and reading people posting about Timmins, anyone else think that MB will have Timmins next to him as an assistant GM maybe, hes desrved the promotion, and Timmins has done very well and im sure is ultimatly looking to move up.

10. AH says:

Bergevin; nice to see some new fresh blood in here for a change. Let’s hope it’s onwards and upwards from here on in, he’s certainly saying the right things.

I only saw part of the press conference on TSN, did anyone ask him, or did he comment at all about language as it pertains to a head coach??

Gomez’s tweet: “I’m working hard getting ready for next season”..HA!, just like he worked hard last offseason?

• Trisomy 21 says:

What kills me about that Gomez tweet is that he said something about working in the gym. Maybe he should work on the ice instead, for god sakes all he does is miss the open net.

• Lizardking89 says:

He’s going to need the extra muscle he’ll have to carry his luggage on and off the bus.

• Thurston says:

I didn’t hear it during the press conference but Bergevin said in an interview on the NHL Network the coach will have to be bilingual.

11. smiler2729 says:

Oh man!

Junior Seau was one of THE BEST linebackers in NFL history, I was so pumped when he signed with Miami in 2003.

To shoot yourself in the chest to save your brain for further concussion study is just too much to take as a fan. This head injury stuff is truly serious serious stuff.

Watch as the NFL immediately takes further steps to protect their players from head shots while the NHL sits on their stupid greedy little New York City lawyer hands and say everything’s suitable.

Didn’t anybody else see the TSN piece on Andy McDonald yesterday? After numerous concussions and almost retiring earlier this season, he says the on-ice headhunting is just as bad as ever.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• LizardKing12 says:

When I heard the news I felt like throwing up. He was definitely one of the all time greats and a first ballot hall of famer. I know you won’t like this but I’m a Patriots fan and he was a class act during his time in New England, a true leader.

I didn’t know he had shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain for further concussion study. That is very sad to hear and I’m sure the NFL will take notice. THey have already begun to address the concussion problem I’m curious to see if they go further. The NHL has to take notice, head injuries are a serious issue and the way the NHL has dealt with it is nothing short of a disgrace.

• smiler2729 says:

I don’t hate the Patriots, hell, I don’t even hate the Bills like I used to… but I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE THE NY F***ING JETS!

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• 44har48 says:

Take the pads away and replace them with R E S P E C T…simple

• Willy says:

The crazy thing is isn’t even the first player to shoot himself in the chest so his brain can be studied. The other was Duerson(i believe) who was a former Chicago Bear. The NFL has a real problem on their hands and you hope they will do something about it. Makes you wonder if the NHL will start to have more incidents like this.

12. hendy100 says:

I feel dirty being here, but here goes:

I’m a Leaf fan and have to say Montreal deserves a better GM than this. Having had a promising up-and-coming Assistant GM from another club to come in and be a GM in either Toronto or Montreal is a disaster waiting to happen. We are still feeling the effects of John Ferguson Jr. here in Toronto. I’m not sure you can throw “anyone” in as GM in either marketplace.

The knock on JFJ was that he would not listen to outside advice and made a string of terrible decisions based on ego.

I wish “you” all the best with Bergevin and hope that the same problems don’t arise from hiring an inexperienced GM in a tough marketplace. When things go badly, it’s a hard, hard place to be in for a GM in Toronto or Montreal. Having Savard around as an advisor might be the best part of this hiring.

• ZepFan2 says:

I feel dirty replying.

As for JFJ not listening to advice.

Here’s what Bergevin said on that subject: “I’m just a piece of the puzzle, we’re all going to do this together.”.

Sounds a lot different than what your GM did.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• smiler2729 says:

First, happy 45th season without a Cup, Laff boy!

And second, Marc Bergevin is just another in the new blood coming into the NHL from paying dues as an assistant. Shero, Schiarelli, just to name two.

Just cuz Richard Peddie’s puppet didn’t work out, don’t ASS-U-ME Habs ownership is as stupid as MLSE.

How’s that tried and true GM Brian Burke moron working out so far?

And third and finally, feel free to stick around, maybe the Habs will rub off on you and you’ll add RED to your BLUE & WHITE.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Lay off the Burke Kool-Aid hendy. Your team’s no better with an experienced GM.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• JoeC says:

thanks for sharing and being thoughful and not trying to just dig at us, but to point out, hows the experienced, GM Burke doing for you guys?

Experience does not make a good GM, so ya thanks again

Burke is terrible

• Habsrule1 says:

Cause hiring an experienced one like Burke has worked out so well?
      Now get out.

Go Habs Go!!

• The Cat says:

Welcome to HIO…I don’t think these jobs are done by one man only, its a committee thing.

• db says:

Do Leafs fans have a place like HIO? (Aside from the tsn.ca comments section). It’d be fun if we all took over that site one hockey night in canada :p

• commandant says:

Brian Burke has been in the job as long as JFJ was in Toronto and has:

1 less playoff appearance
      1 less playoff series win
      a far worse win-loss record
      had his team earn 4 picks in the top 10 of the NHL draft (2 of which were traded away)… Ferguson only finished that bad once, and he didn’t even get to finish out that season as it was his last.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• The Cat says:

Very true. Burke is made of teflon it seems. A man thats not getting results and yet he has enough people convinced that he is getting results…Reminds me of a certain goalie for the habs ^_^

• hendy100 says:

I wouldn’t want to waste my time on the merits of Brian Burke vs JFJ. JFJ has set the Leafs back at least 5-7 years. Also, he had a roster full of veterans. The Leafs are the youngest team in the league now.

Good article there on it.

Would love to come to a Montreal/Leafs games in Montreal and get boo’d and yelled at in a Leafs jersey. On my “list of things to do”. Montreal is a great town and a great party town.

• port elgin says:

Yes JFJ was an awful Gm for Toronto, no disputing that, but might I throw out another name that is just as bad, maybe worse….Brian Burke

• bleedhabs81 says:

I read your post a couple of times trying to figure out why there were so many snarky responses. I couldn’t really find anything aside from you assuming he is going to fail.

I guess the attitude shown by the habs fans merely stems from you identifying yourself as a Leaf lover. Too be expected, I guess. However, it is nice to see them stop insulting each other and unify for a common cause.

Seriously guys, at no point did he say his Burke led team was better than ours, or do any Burke boosting what-so-ever. He just said he is unsure if an un-experienced GM is the right GM for this team, which has been mentioned a number of times by Habs fans…. Heaven forbid a leaf fan posts in a civil manner.

It was a benign post.

• hendy100 says:

The replies were never going to be pretty… I knew that. Sports teams have to sell the future and it’s a time of bliss (generally) when you get a new GM. Montreal deserves the best. It totally sucks not having the Leafs and the Habs in the playoffs. It’s not right.

Having said that, it looks like they are going to cherry pick Rick Dudley from the Leafs. If that is the case, watch your development system shoot through the roof.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Wow, lots of vitriol towards Burke and hendy’s post when he/she didn’t even mention Burke once in it. Come on guys, making us Habs fans look bad.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yikes Hendy! Normally HIO posters are very warm and hospitable to all and sundry. Everyone’s just in an excited state at the moment due to the new appointment. Your views from outside our obsessively inward-looking circle are in fact welcome and valued! No, really!

I’m placing my faith here on you being wrong about young GMs, and I note also that you set yourself up bad for a beating on Burke!

Cheers

• Where is Bugs? We need the Red Alert.

RED ALERT! Fellow Leaf fan back off to the safe distance -..

aah I can’t do it. I miss Bugsy.

13. commandant says:

In other news; Sam Giguere (Laval Star WR) signed with the Tiger Cats today.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Another suicide today. NFL star Junior Seau.

After concussion, severe depression and it kills through suicide as well.!

What is a concussion?, as comprehended and explained by myself.
    I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university. I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch with calcium. And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept. from a major medical university. Only as the handler of the research birds involved in the study and offering some of my former findings from my own autopsy’s So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject pertaining to concussion, but I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void. Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage. Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage as the calcium solidifies upon second impact. Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.
    These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death. This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing. Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, can be even more deadly.
    Ian Cobb

15. Shane1313 says:

I missed the press conference, but am reading about it.
    Where was it played anyway?

16. secretdragonfly says:

So nice to see an overwhelming tone of optimism here for a change. I can’t wait to get home and watch the presser.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Likes teamwork and communication.

Can’t comment on who the coach will be but will take his time and evaluate all candidates.

Can’t comment on Gomez or any other player, but thinks we have the pieces in place to be better. Will evaluate team needs and the current roster in consultation with others.

Proud to join the Habs and happy to be back in Montreal.

etc …

( I didn’t watch the presser – I’m just making it up.)

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Ian Cobb says:

Bergevin assured Conneyworth of a coaching position within the organization.

• shiram says:

I did not hear that, only that the new Head Coach would select his assistant.

• mdp2011 says:

No he did not, all he said that for now he is being returned to Ass. Coach and that the new Head coach will decide who is assistants are going to be.

• HabFanSince72 says:

In other words, don’t renew any of your annual subscriptions Cunny. Lease, gym, videotron. Do not renew them.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Stormin says:

They were team mates in Hartford, he said it was a very hard conversation but one filled with mutual respect and Cunny understood.

• D Mex says:

He did nothing of the kind.
          RC has been moved back to Assistant Coach, which may or may not be endorsed / extended by the next Habs Head Coach.
          No assurances were given or implied to RC. Bergevin could not have been more clear about this in his comments, and I heard no references to Hamilton at all in the RDS feed today.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

17. JUST ME says:

I think Bergevin said what he needed to say. Of course in those situations you always say the right things and those remain to be done later .
    Most importantly you get to see what kind of guy the chosen one is. He seems like a nice guy and a guy that likes to have fun wich is such a different feeling with you know who.
    Lots of work in front of him and i wish him the best of luck.
    I think that it is obvious that the communication factor is a must for the Habs and that it was not you know who`s forte.

He was clear about Timmins ,Cunneyworth and Carriere `s faith wich is a good thing cause those to have a pivotal role in the organization if only to be there for the immediate transition.

Let`s just hope that with this wind of change, the medias will also go through a good long thinking process on how to see the game and the Habs .

18. VintageFan says:

A GM that you can see. And speaks intelligently. Clearly an upgrade!

19. frontenac1 says:

Oh man! That is so sad about Seau,Loved him with my Chargers.RIP Junior.

• Stormin says:

Definitely must be something to concussion and head trauma incidents and the lingering affects on the brain, really getting scary for athletes,

20. Un Canadien errant says:

Catching up to the press conference on PVR, but I’m really happy to hear Mr. Bergevin state quite bluntly, with a look of certainty in his eyes, that the scouting in Québec will be significantly beefed up. That’s good news. We should know the recruits in our backyard better than anyone else. We should capitalize on the fact that boys growing up in Québec dream of playing for the Canadiens, and we should perpetuate this, feed the beast. This is an advantage we have over the Hurricanes and the Dallas Stars and other teams like that.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• The Dude says:

And that’s what I’m talking about Willis!

• 44har48 says:

Ok, I’m with you, but I don’t want to see Quebecois all over our team if we could get better talent elsewhere. I just want the most talent and win, don’t care what province they come from. But I agree with you, if there is talent in Quebec, we should be all over it and know about it before the rest of the teams.

• neumann103 says:

Norm,

This is what I have been saying for a long time, and I am not a nativist pure laine nutcase. Part of it is just that it is an extra factor for both the fans and the local prospect pool to leverage. Mainly it is about exploiting a competitive advantage vs other teams. The Detroit Red Wings have invested more than other teams in building European scouting operations and the results have been great sleeper picks in less than prime draft slots. The Habs have an advantage based on location and language. They should know every player in the Q better than anyone else and be better positioned to find diamonds in the rough or take calculated gambles on later round picks.

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Same here neumann. I don’t advocate more Québécois on the team as a political thing, it’s not even a language thing, Anglo Quebecers should be given a long look and added to the team as much as feasible. This is about nurturing a competitive advantage that we have, maintaining and building on the tradition and history we have.

Sure, there are some Daniel Brières out there, guys who evaluate the situation and decide they’d rather not be in Montréal, but overall most Québec-born players dream about playing for the Canadiens. That attachment is valuable, we should capitalize on it.

If P.A. Parenteau comes over as a free agent in July to fulfill this dream, and does so at a comparative discount compared to what other teams would have to offer, it will be the perfect illustration of how we can use this visceral attachment local boys have with the team to our advantage.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

21. commandant says:

Bergevin on Trevor Timmins: “I think he did an excellent job. He will be sitting next to me in Pittsburgh.”

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

22. Say Ash says:

Sad news: Junior Seau dead from a self-inflected gunshot wound‎. RIP

• Un Canadien errant says:

Holy crap! Very sad news, this just hit me by surprise. Wasn’t expecting that, while posting on the hire of the new GM.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Aybara says:

If that’s supposed to be a pun, it’s in horribly bad taste.
        Edit: For someone who is so eloquent, even if you didn’t intend it you should have know the danger of those words. Come on.

• neumann103 says:

If the reports are true, he shot himself in the chest, leaving his brain intact for study. The people who dismiss the effects of concussion -sadly including a lot of the NHL Bettman establishment – are going to have a tough time maintaining the head-in-sand position

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

We kind of knew that Junior was going through some tough times since retiring, he’s been in the news for the wrong reasons, but it’s still a big shock. If the situation is as you describe, we have to pay attention to these very real cries for help. These guys are in pain, and want to be leave behind evidence that the struggles they were going through weren’t simply a lack of will or judgment. Pro leagues have to react and adjust with this new evidence coming in.

We used to tell the tale of Doug Harvey living out his retirement years living in a boxcar as simply a cautionary tale of what happens to an uneducated, unprepared young man when his playing career is over and the spotlights are trained on someone else. We may have to revisit all that.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

23. Would love to hear Red’s take on the hire and what needs to be done. He’s been very quiet and his experience is substantial if not a little jaded like my own after watching the great teams in the 60′s and 70′s. Yeah, I’m that old! Ugh!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

24. Here’s the interview. He sounds sharp and he speaks (as opposed to the Ghost) and Molson also seems on the ball. There will be a honeymoon period and every move he makes will be disected by the media and fan base, especially HIO, but at least he’s young, seems to understand his weaknesses and Molson wants to win the Cup, not squeak into the playoffs only to be blown out each year. Look at Vancouver. Two years in a row as President’s and they get bounced. Need to be tough, talented and play as a team with depth. Otherwise in this age of parity it’s anyones guess (Hashville going nowhere with retreads in Gill, AK and SK). Have fun reading.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

25. sane hockey fan says:

Man Pat Hickey is annoying

26. habscout says:

Good news about the Bergevin hiring! He’s one of my top 2 choices for the job.

Now, for the Gomez rumour. Unless he passed a team physical or received the team doctor’s clearance, he *cannot* be bought out during this off-season. That’s a condition in the current CBA where a player that is injured and on the IRL cannot be bought out from their contract. I covered this in my article in Habsworld last month.

27. SuperHabFan says:

TIMMINS IN

28. Mr. Biter says:

Listening to the press conference. I think I like Serge’s choice. He sounds like a winner.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

29. Woke up this morning and saw the news… Curious choice unless he is surrounded by lawyers, cap experienced men and a revamped scouting team (Timmins in or out?). Sure there is a lot of work to do, but many pieces are still there. He doesn’t need to clamp down the rumor mills on the Gomez contract or anything. Let them run and speculate. He’ll just deliver the results in English and en Francais! Whether his prankster attitude translates into a fun experience for fans and players and coaches is another thing. This is a pressure cooker that Mr. Molson (there, I said it too!) seems to be handling with the right moves, eeven having considered Brisbois and McGuire, which I doubt other clubs would have had to if in the same position as Montreal and the meddling politicians. A lot of questions will be asked of what happened with Roy (an impossible choice for GM because of his volatility and the way he departed the club) and other candidates (Brisson making too much money as an agent, etc…) and if Serge Savard is a counselor, that may not be a good thing. Ultimately, when any hiring is done for senior positions, it comes down to an educated guess and in this case, we hope that with all of the interviewing and knowledge, this will be a great guess, not just a good one! Montreal fans are long overdue for something resembling their long lost dynasty and 2012 couldn’t come soon enough after saying goodbye to the Disney character in Gauthier (yes he worked for Disney. They saw a fit then and look how that turned out!).

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

30. sane hockey fan says:

the more I hear this man speak, the more I like him

31. mark_ID says:

Randy Cunneyworth back as assistant, Marc just said that.

“First thing I did, was called Randy to tell him he won’t be back as head coach……but will stay on as assistant.”

“Step off George”

32. HabFanSince72 says:

So, has he fired the Two Randys yet?

Waiting for the end of the press conference I guess.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

33. ogilthorpe says:

First order of business for the new GM… get Staal and put him in a line with Cole and Paccioretty:):):):)

34. db says:

I really like that Pierre Houde is calling out PG. Saying that nobody had fun last year in any capacity. He said that the cloud that followed the Habs was greatly created by the last GM. He said that Bergy’s personality reflects that of the owner, Mr. Molson (couldn’t resist the Mr.).

He’s saying that this a new era for the Habs. Houde mentioned that sometimes it seemed that Molson felt uncomfortable with the people he was surrounded by last year. I really think the Habs will have a new character. Geoff Molson & Marc Bergevin are both considered “cool” by Houde and that’s part of the image that is coming.

I agree, I think the new Habs will be more approachable, connected with the fans and that dark cloud (of secrecy) will be lifted. So, who’s down for a new 5 year plan?

35. The Dude says:

More like Gomez aware he can’t play N.H.L. hockey anymore….as is everyone else!

36. adamkennelly says:

Gomez will be sent to Hammertown unless there is a Buy-out clause in the new CBA – no way Habs eat that much cap space to save some cash – the cap space is worth more than money..this team needs to get a lot better – and they need to be able to spend to the cap in order to do so. end of story.

37. thorandresson says:

Where’s Boone with the Live Blog for this?

38. Mattyleg says:

What, no Liveblog for the presser?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. habstrinifan says:

Just logged. Thanks to the poster reporting that Dreger says Bervin will bring along Dudly and Lapointe to join the HABS.

wow! WOW! WOW!…That is amazing news. Please let this be true. And this may be what sealed the deal for Bergevin. Wonderful.

I am off to watch the presser.

good day to ba a habs fan.

40. ZepFan2 says:

We grow weary of you now.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• RGM says:

Now?! LOL

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

41. srq3000 says:

I need to know that the Montreal Canadians did NOT even consider talking to Regis McGuire!! Otherwise I need to find a new team as they are truly hopeless. Even if Bergevin is the best GM in history, he will be useless if the organization is so stupid as to look at McGuire. I am hoping someone like the Leafs will hire McGuire though so I don’t have to listen to him anymore!

• RGM says:

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. I can tell what a huge fan you are by your ability to spell the team’s name incorrectly and your membership on the site since…today.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Mr. Biter says:

How do you know when someone joins the site?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• RGM says:

I have my ways. Just click on the avatar photo and it takes you to a profile page.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Mr. Biter says:

Oh Oh. Better go to my alias name.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• srq3000 says:

Regis is in the house! Get lost McGuire and take Emrick with you!
            BTW, you can spell Canadians either way. It’s only recently been PC’d. Real Montrealers say Canadians or iens depending on what language they are speaking. You wouldn’t know that being from NJ.

• RGM says:

Yeah. Sure, slugger. The spelling of le Club de Hockey Canadien has ALWAYS been with an E, not an A.

Where you get me being from New Jersey is quite beyond me. Enough with you, go away and educate yourself.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• srq3000 says:

Hey Regis,

You’re pathetic. How do you spell Montreal Canadians Hockey Club? How do you say Canadians ? Comment tu dit Canadiens? Your pack of lies didn’t get you to Montreal. I’m glad that Serge can at least get to Wikipedia and read it. Glad there are options here to NBC so I don’t have to listen to your imbecilic ‘commentary’.

Pierre, Haha

• Mr. Biter says:

Just looked at my Habs mug and it does say Canadiens. I’ve allways spellt it with an “a” and no one here ever complained.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

42. Bun E. Laroque says:

Bergevin might be the perfect choice. Apprenticing under the Bowmans sure can’t hurt. Habs should have made Scotty Bowman GM when they had the chance. That was the beginning of the decline. So happy that Mcguire won’t be involved. Roy may one day be an NHL coach but right now he is exactly what the Habs don’t need . The culture of the team has to change to where they can nurture young players rather than crush them. I would like to see a calm, level headed approach form the new coach.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

from

• ZepFan2 says:

Dude, I met Bun E. Carlos. Cool dude, but a really quiet guy.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• habfan53 says:

I thought so too at the time and he probably would have been better than Grundman (not saying much) but after he left Montreal to become G.M. in Buffalo he did not do much there.
      He never got passed the second round (twice) Losing in the 1st 4 times and missing the palyoffs for the only time in his career once

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• Bun E. Laroque says:

True it didn’t work out in Buffalo but he should have been given a chance after four Stanley Cups in a row. Grundman was a drag and it only got worse from there…

43. chemic says:

next on the list…….Bob Hartley!

44. The Dude says:

I’m going to re-watch the last Habs -Philly game and I suggest the rest of all you do as well just to remind you all how bad we are! Blow the Dog of a team UP,este’!

45. commandant says:

Gomez’s contract must be cleared… so we can get a top 4 defenceman, and a 2nd line winger.

I’m not talking about Suter and Parise here, but guys out of the second tier like Bryan Allen and Barrett Jackman as your D examples, and that type of guy to play with Plek and Gio.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• smiler2729 says:

And Kaberle’s too…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• commandant says:

Kaberle’s is not near as bad…. at least he puts up points, even if his defence is third pairing. Overpaid yes, but not the albatross of a forward who goes a whole year without scoring a single goal.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• RGM says:

Whenever it comes to Kaberle and people defending him, I like to pull up this quote from Dave Stubbs four days before the deal was made:
          “If you want to condemn a GM for signing a veteran defenceman to a long-term deal, how about Carolina’s Jim Rutherford, who signed the wretched Tomas Kaberle to a three-year deal? Kaberle was nothing but excess baggage for the Bruins during their Stanley Cup run last spring, and he’s been less than that for Carolina.”

He was not good last year, and just the sight of that discarded Leafs/Bruins garbage in a Habs jersey made my stomach churn.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

46. habsfanforever7631 says:

I hope Trevor Timmins stays, it’s not his falt where the Habs are.

47. WindsorHab-10 says:

Why buy Gomez out? Offer him to Brian Burke. Something tells me he’ll take him & give up prospects as well.

Gomez will make the 3rd line for us next year folks. Mark my words!!

• stevieray says:

Ian ..having Gomez centering the 3rd line doesn’t help us size wise down the middle. Size at center has been identified as one of our weaknesses. I think they’ll buy him out …

• Ian Cobb says:

Steve, I think it will cost to much, they will find a spot for him for sure.

• D Mex says:

The dollar cost associated with Gomez is virtually the same whether he stays or goes. The problem with keeping him on the roster is that he costs the team on the ice as well, because he simply doesn’t pull his own weight, and hasn’t for years.

Personally, I’d like to see the Habs move him to Hamilton – you just never know what might happen on the waiver wires.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Mustang says:

Ian, if Gomez stays with the team, the best spot for him is in the press box. He will cost just as much as if he was on the ice but at least we won’t have to watch him doing nothing.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think this “size down the middle” nonsense is getting WAY overblown. Look, I’m the first guy who wants big tough players in Montreal, but size down the middle is not as important as everyone seems to be making it IMO. Frankly, big wingers are more critical than a big centreman.

That said, a big centre isn’t going to hurt, just saying I think big wingers are more important (and we’ve slowly been getting bigger on the wing).

• habfan53 says:

If Gomez is centering the 3rd line where does that leave Eller and Pleks ??

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• Ian Cobb says:

Gomez might play wing, or Eller on the wing! You never know, they might find a spot for him on the 4th line. But he is to expensive a hit to buy out.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

Hab17, is that you?

Sorry, couldn’t resist… :D

• db says:

He really just doesn’t fit in the lineup… he’s not a scorer or checker or special teams guy (despite his PP time). He’s a nice guy, cool… I’d love to smoke a joint with him. But he just doesn’t fit. I don’t really see Gomer fitting in Hamilton either… and the cap hit for a buy out is just too much. It appears that we may still have room for him cap wise, so maybe we could just bench him for 70 games…. Tough call, either way.. I support our GM.

• DorvalTony says:

Third line for Hamilton LOL.

tony-mclean.blogspot.com

49. Gumper Knows Best says:

Yea OK Gomez is a zero, but Be careful how you want to treat Gomez and other big contract players.
    This is not Manhattan or the States of California or Florida or Boston or Chicago where everyone (wife-partner-Pronger) wants to play, and Quebec is no tax haven. :-)

Treat your big contract guys with respect, even if they screw up and you might have others that want to come after. Treat them like crap, and we’ll never have a chance. Think about Briere. Think Parise UFA. Think UFA Crosby next year whose daddy was drafted by the Habs and growing up was the team he cheered for.
    Think.

• Cal says:

Why should the Habs waste another year with Gomez? His cap hit is an albatross. Time to send him to Hamilton while paying him.
      If Quebec was so horrible to the rich, they would all be across the border in Ontario, so I’m not buying that taxes are a problem. If they were, no high paid player would ever stay. Ever. So that argument is moot.
      If I’m paying anyone big money, I want performance. Gomez has given little and received WAAAAAAAAAYYYY too much. Good bye and good riddance.

• Lizardking89 says:

That’s a big steaming pile of bullshit. Briere had the chance to sign with us before he went to Philly and turned us down flat, it had nothing to do with Gomez. If you think Crosby will ever sign here stand up, walk away from your computer and give you head a big shake and wake the F up. Gomez is useless to this team time to flush the shit.

50. habsfaninboston says:

I’m glad it’s Bergevin over McGuire.

51. Shane1313 says:

Other than the good news..
    Totally out of the blue, but just watched Pleky’s breakaway goal against Toronto, last game of the season. This guy with all the terrible wingers he had, still performed! He’s been the consistent for years, gotta love pleks. Just get him some good wingers and we’re set.

• neumann103 says:

+1,000,000

A Leaf fan friend of mine only likes Plekanec, Price and Cole among current Habs. He says “Tomas Plekanec saves lives!”

Pleks does it all

“Et le but!”

McGuire and Roy out of the picture! That is very good news indeed!

What connection does Bergevin have with Mark Crawford? ,were they in Cornwall together? Or just played together?

53. HabsRepresente says:

If they buy out Gomez’s contract does a part of his salary still count towards the Salary Cap Limit?

54. The Dude says:

Well this is a GREAT DAY….Anew G.M. from La Belle and brought up the QMJHL= PERFECT! And now a buy out of G-LUV….Yes-siree! C’est tres bon!!! And now for a tremendous tear down and shake-up baby! NO MORE BULLSPIT AND REBUILD THE ENTIRE TEAM Mr.Bergevins and if ya don’t like the money’s offered …YOUR TRADED!It’s time to build a huge ,strong,fast ,tough,french scoring machine that cuts like a knife!

55. frontenac1 says:

You Philistines! Those glasses are Hipster in a Funky sort of way!

• HabFanSince72 says:

They were.

10 years ago.

Does he also wear a beeper?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

56. Ozmodiar says:

Nicknamed Bergie, huh? This could be the source of some confusion on L’AC.

Bergevin played a similar style to Josh Gorges. This hiring won’t quiet talk of a future captaincy for #26.

Funny that Bergie likes to punk people. I guess that makes him the NHL’s version of Ashton Kutcher. They also share the common bond of replacing a complete train wreck.

Looking forward to the presser. I’ll bet he’s practicing his answer to the Gomez question in the mirror right now. Will cookies be served?

57. Stormin says:

Roger Goodell to replace Gary Bettman, wow some more serious suspensions handed down today , a full season for Vilma half a season for Hargrove etc..imagine him handing down NHL suspensions

58. habsfanforever7631 says:

So should the Habs Hire Julien Brisebois to help Bergevin with the cap and things to do with money and stuff like that?

• Stormin says:

Does not make sense to make a lateral move to a job he already had in Montreal, plus most teams give you permission to talk to their Assistant GM under the assumption you are looking to hire him to an upgrade position as a GM not a lateral move

• otter649 says:

Habs have a caplogist presently – Patrick Bovin who assisted Gauthier…..

• D Mex says:

One observation on RDS as to possible reason(s) the job was not offered to Brisebois was that he (may have) set a condition that André Savard join him as AGM.
      All indications point to Bergevin putting his own team together, but it’s hard to imagine that Brisebois would leave an AGM post in Tampa on a lateral move to Montréal, where he sought the #1 job. He does have the rep of being a cap guru, tho’ …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Gumper Knows Best says:

There was no condition-he was never a REAL candidate

• D Mex says:

Very doubtful.
          It has been consistently reported on too many fronts that he was an early frontrunner, and now it’s reported the Habs took time to contact him to let him know he was not the chosen candidate.
          Where there’s smoke …

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Believe what you want. He was NEVER a real candidate. He was talked to because of media pressure. Nothing more,

• D Mex says:

” NEVER ” is a timeline that extends quite far in two directions.
            Thanks for the green light – I’ll continue to believe what I want and a few other folks on here might continue to do the same.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

59. BONZOHABS says:

Interesting…RDS interview with Bergevin @ Bell Center in 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER202VGE4kk

60. Gumper Knows Best says:

Patrick Roy will not be coach.
    Take that to the bank. Loose cannons with ??? character that always want their own way and if not, will take their ball and go home are not needed.

We don’t need a false, old, has been god behind the bench. We need a grown up man. If you look who’s pushing him for the position, you’ll understand

• Lizardking89 says:

Go away Roy hater. He was the best player we had in the last 30 years…in other words take a long walk off a short pier.

• JoeC says:

Player not coach though, and this postion is for a coach,

I love Roy, and thought he got treated terrible that last game against Detroit, but he did flip a little too much, if it was another player on another team, most people here woudl still make fun of his hissy fit.

• D Mex says:

Roy was our best player in the past 30 years ?
        Really ?

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Lizardking89 says:

Yep name me one player who had the impact that Roy had to this team in the last 30 years. And yes he may have flipped out but Mario Tremblay should have never been behind the bench to begin with and it pisses me off to no end that some people hold Roy responsible saying that he abandoned the team and all that.

We had two of the most incompetent people at the helm of this team in this franchise’s entire 100 year history. If the President, GM or coach would have talked to Roy the next day the team wouldn’t have been forced to get rid of him.

So please lets not hold that against him when it comes to him potentially coaching this team.

• D Mex says:

The past 30 years – let’s see :

Damphousse, Walter, Carbonneau, Robinson, and a guy by the name of Lafleur played some decent hockey in Montreal …

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

61. Newf_Habster says:

Don’t buy out Goner’s contract until there is an amnesty clause(s) in new CBA. It will help the Habs save about $15.5 millions dollars over four remaining years of his contract.

By the way, congratulations, Bergy! :)

• commandant says:

While I agree the amnesty is ideal. What if there is no amnesty clause?

Buyouts can only happen at two times per year

- in june.
      - in august after arbitration (only teams who had an arbitration scheduled however may use this window).

If there is no extra amnesty buyout when the new CBA takes effect (sometime after September 15), you have gomez on the books for a year. Which is real money out of the owner’s pocket to save the cap space.

I’d rather see him in Hamilton if not amnesty bought out, but will Geoff Molson and Michael Andaleur feel the same?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Stormin says:

I would bet Michael Andaleur will not want him in Hamilton that is why I am hoping for an amnesty buyout , or we loan him to another franchise like St Louis and get him playing in his hometown in Alaska or send him to Europe if we have too.

62. Stormin says:

As for Gomez if there is no amnesty buyout, i say we keep him away from our kids in Hamilton, hopefully we can waive him , and then loan him to St Louis who can assign him to ECHL Alaska Aces via Peoria Rivermen. All depending on the new CBA agreement.

63. db says:

I’m ok with this GM.. I just want him to build a powerhouse in the front office.

If Pierre McGuire wants to be a GM, he should get his ass hired by a team and not a tv network.

• naweed235 says:

Is there anyway McGuire would accept an assistant GM position in Montreal? Because like you said it seems like one of his biggest short comings is the lack of experience in an executive position in the NHL.
      I think that would make sense for both parties. We get a guy who knows the underwear color of every junior player out there and he gets the chance to gain some valuable experience that might serve him well in his next interview…

• db says:

So this is his 3rd runner-up when it comes to GM positions. I know earlier in his career he was more focused on his family, and I think that’s awesome. He’s got a good gig on TV, and everybody knows him. He’s obviously ready to join the front office and I doubt he’ll take another tv contract. But, starting at the GM level?? I agree, assistant GM is where he would fit best.

• secretdragonfly says:

We already have an assistant GM (Larry Carriere) and ewwww on the underwear comment :)

• Habsrule1 says:

The only problem to that is the pay cut, so he has to make a choice. I agree that he needs to get an AGM position to win out next time, but even the GM position would likely be a pay cut for him.

Go Habs Go!!

• GrimJim says:

IMO, I don’t think McG’s ego will accept an AsstGM position. It seems like he has to be the guy in charge or nothing. McGuire was offered an Assistant GM by Ray Shero when Shero took over the Pens in 2006 (Mitch Melnick makes reference to it in his Feb blog campaigning for McGuire and I’ve read it elsewhere). And that was the team with Crosby, Malkin and Fleury and about to draft Staal. What better stepping stone to a GM position could you have? BTW Shero hired Cliff Fletcher when McG turned him down; and guess who beat out McG for the Minn GM post?

64. JoeC says:

I wouldnt be surprised at all today that our new GM will announce our coach also.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

not a chance

• JoeC says:

Why do you say that, im sure he has a short list of coach’s he would want, and the longer they wait, the more of a gong show the media is going to have with the habs, name a coach, media lays off and they can get to work with evaluating the team we have and getting ready for the draft

• HabFanSince72 says:

Also, it’s a fair bet that “who would you hire as coach” was one of the questions the search committee asked.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Stormin says:

The guy just got his dream job GM of the Montreal Canadiens , I think we can let him have his day alone , He still has too let RC go first

• Gumper Knows Best says:

What’s the rush? A coach coaches. A GM gives him the team by signing his RFAs and hunting UFAs. Maybe his choice is still coaching somewhere? If not, the coach won’t be named for a few weeks with the same vetting process they used for Bergevin.

• JoeC says:

The search FOr a coach is alot shorter then one for a GM, and all in all, this search didnt take that long.

Im just saying that i wouldnt be sitting here jaw open if he does announce a coach, unless its Roy, which i still think would be a huge risk

65. ooder says:

have no clue about this guy, can’t be worst then PG
    as for the Gomez buy out.. oh man i hope it is true!!!!
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• naweed235 says:

I really hope that the Gomez buyout is not true. It would be stupid to tie up $3.5, 4.6, 1.5, 1.5 M in capspace in the next four years respectively. (Dead cap space as they call it)… Hopefully we get the amnesty period with the new CBA if not, either Hamilton or try as hard as you can to trade him

• Lizardking89 says:

Exactly a buyout wouldn’t be the right move here. We’d be stuck with that damned contract twice as long. Send him to Hamilton and tell him not to bother reporting. Don’t want him polluting our talent pool with his lazy don’t give a shit attitude.

• ooder says:

well i assume the buyout would happen during the amnesty period.. i can’t imagine they do it just like that

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

66. thorandresson says:

So how long is the MB honeymoon going to last?

67. commandant says:

Wonder if there will be any surprises at the press conference, like an assistant GM or something too?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Stormin says:

That would be kind of unfair dont you think, shouldn’t it be Marc Bergevin day, I mean he is being named General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, he grew up around the corner from the forum, I think it should be his day alone.

• thorandresson says:

Probably not, these things are usually pretty boring…however I hope things change and they tell us St Patrick has been hired as coach too…

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Why would the AGM change? Who is a better one?

68. HabFanSince72 says:

He does look like Jeff Goldblum.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Stormin says:

Well the since the HIO moniker MB is already taken by Mike Boone ,

Is the moniker for Marc Bergevin going to be the FLY

• smiler2729 says:

Just refer to him as The Fly

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

69. shiram says:

Whenever Gomez gets demoted to Hamilton, or bought out, he can’t say he was surprised by the decision.
    From what is written above, you get the impression he contacted HIO first, so as to not get bothered by them.

70. smiler2729 says:

Hockey geniuses on Sportsnet Hockey Central at Noon, ripping away at the Habs’ choices cuz they KNOW everything.

Nick Kypreos, self-important egomaniac ASS.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• shiram says:

Quoting a message board seems like lazy reporting.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s lazy cut and pasting.

Lazy reporting would have necessitated a modicum of editorial input.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habfan53 says:

I’ts funny being quoted and having what you say being turned around. I was not voicing concern but asking for patience. Now I know what the players mean when they say they were quoted out of context or that is not what they meant.

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

71. Say Ash says:

Congratulations, Mr. Bergevin, on beating out Pierre McGuire.

72. habfan53 says:

Just having a little fun. One of Bergevins first orders of business (even before hiring a coach) will be contacting the representatives of Carey Price and P K Subban. Just a call to say let’s get together.
    According to ” CAPGEEK” Montreal has 15 players under contract for next year with 18,463,000.00 available based on a 64.3 million cap.
    IF and it is a big if the following signings are done Price and Subban get raises of 3.3 and 2 million each repectively.
    Eller and Emelin each 5.1 million for 3 years
    Moen 2 years at 3 million, Blunden at 800,000.00 and Geoffrion at 1 million that gives us 22 players and 9.25 million of space (including Gomez and Kaberle’s contracts) .
    That would leave enough to pick up a solid winger for Pleks and another defencemen .
    I don’t expect Gomez to be part of the picture next year so that would open another 7.357 million .

There is not much on the free agent market this year so we could go with a few young guys like Beaulieu, Gallagher and however our 1 st pick is. As I expect this year will hold a lot of optimism and positive reinforcements with players like Cole, Paks and Price being the leaders

73. Stormin says:

Actually looking forward to a Habs presser, especially with no more MISTERS……. I assume he will not use the Gauthier MR nonsense but I have not heard him talk in that type of forum before.

74. jols101 says:

I urge all my fellow Hab fans to go to TSN.ca and listen to what Bob Mackenzie said about buying out Gomez’s contract on Radio 990. Sorry in a rush and dont have the link…I love Bob and he is bang on in everything he says….

Great choice for GM BTW, the future is finally looking a little brighter…