Bergevin is GM; Gomez unaware of a buyout

Marc Bergevin

Marc Bergevin.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Geoff Molson | Marc Bergevin I, II and III

The Canadiens have their new general manager. He’s  Chicago Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin, whom the team introduced at a Wednesday afternoon news conference in Brossard.

Team owner Geoff Molson described the Bergevin hiring as “the first step toward creating a winning culture” on the club.

Molson frequently alluded to Bergevin’s leadership qualities, communication skills and commitment to winning.

The new GM was understandably reluctant to get specific about player personnel decisions, such as the future of Scott Gomez.

Bergevin listed his priorities as hiring a new coach, signing restricted free agents Carey Price and P.K. Subban and preparing for the June draft, where the Canadiens will have the third overall choice … although Bergevin would not rule out trading the pick if, in his judgement, the move would improve the club.

Bergevin said director of scouting and player development Trevor Timmins will “definitely be at the draft table.”

Assistant general manager Larry Carrière will remain with the team in an undefined role.

And Bergevin’s first phone was to Randy Cunneyworth. The GM considers Cunneyworth one of the team’s assistant coaches, pending the hiring of a new head coach, who will choose his own assistants.

•  •  •

The Chicago Tribune was first out of the blocks with a report in a 2:15 am ET blog item today that the Canadiens would name Blackhawks assistant GM Bergevin Montreal’s new GM. The Tribune attributed the report to a source. TSN and multiple sources later confirmed the news and the Habs made it official shortly after 8:30 am.

Bergevin and NBC analyst Pierre McGuire were apparently leading the race for the job, the candidate pool seemingly having shallowed in the past week.

This morning, Sports Illustrated’s Mike Farber told CJAD that McGuire was informed in the past hour (6:30-7:30 am ET) that McGuire was runner-up in the race, so that pretty much seals the deal. And Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois told both CJAD and RDS that he’s received the call to tell him he was not the chosen one.

Sportsnet reports this morning that Scott Gomez’s contract is likely to be bought out.

This morning, by text message, Gomez told Hockey Inside/Out that he knew nothing of a buyout: “As I’ve said before, that’s a management decision,” Gomez texted. “I only worry about what I can control and I’m already in the gym getting ready for next season. That’s my only focus. I’ll let the media focus on rumours and debate what (the Canadiens) should or shouldn’t do.”

Here’s a Chicago Tribune profile of Bergevin from last December by Chris Kuc, who broke the story this morning. Follow him on Twitter at @ChrisKuc.

In the story, Kuc relates one of prankster Bergevin’s best:

“…which he pulled off while playing for the Blues. He worked with a St. Louis newspaper reporter to concoct a fake story that put Blues GM Larry Pleau in a bad light. Bergevin had the story inserted into the team’s daily clippings, and after Pleau read it, he angrily confronted the reporter before Bergevin revealed he was the culprit.”

Canadiens official release received at 9:40 am ET:

From the Blackhawks’ 2011-12 media guide:

Habs GM history, from their 2011-12 media guide:

Below, in 2002 with St. Louis. © Tom Pidgeon, NHLI via Getty Images

TV interview in French, 1992:

1,105 Comments

1. habsfan0 says:

So, who’s the odds on favourite to become Habs coach now?

I believe it’s Marc Crawford, as Bergevin & Crawford have a history together.

2. 44har48 says:

Ahhhhhhhh…sweet music. I know nothing at all about this guy and I am tickled pink. No Pierre MacGuire, and that is all I will say.

Now if we can get a real coach not named Patrick Roy, I’ll be estatic. It’s a no brainer Gomez is gone with a competent GM in place and I wouldn’t be surprised for other changes as well.

3. mal2478 says:

Thank God no McGuirre….

4. HabInToronto says:

Welcome to the family Marc Bergevin

5. habsguru says:

why Roy??? anybody watch the 2nd round playoffs in the Q. when you blow a 3 game lead in the NHL, it is usually followed by a pink slip.

as a goalie coach, maybe… Head coach?

– no NHL coaching experience
    – hardly a Killray (sp) in the Q

let go of 86 and 93, we need a coach of today

6. ZepFan2 says:

Just heard on CTV that Bergevin is from the Point.

I’m loving this signing even more!! :smile:

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

7. CalgaryHab says:

I hope Bergevin instates a self imposed no trade clause with Chicago for at least 2 years. TomNickle mentioned earlier that he should be leary of Stan Bowman and I agree. Fletcher fleeced Risebrough in a 10 player swap that headlined Doug Gilmour and Gary Leeman that is still talked about out here. It somehow gave TO the right perform such deals with the Flames since then.

Beware the sheep’s clothing Marc… beware.

8. Mattyleg says:

Do you think, during his time with Chicago, that Bergie would have learned from:
    1) The ‘Chicago Sucks’ Seasons?
    2) The ‘Chicago Trades Away All Their Players Because They Can’t Afford Them Anymore And Squeeze Into the Playoffs On The Last Day And Get Knocked Out In Round 1′ Season?

Also, do you think that we’ll see more tanking so that he can follow the (arguably unsuccessful) Chicago model?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

I believe he will evaluate the organization from top to bottom and go from there. He is 7 weeks from Draft Day and 1 day short of 2 months for UFA Day, not leaving a lot of time for player evaluations.
      I hope he believes that 1 year of complete suckitude is enough.

9. BC HAB says:

Truth is, I don’t know anything about Bergevin. I don’t care who the next GM is. Molson could hire Scooby doo or Youppi for all I care. Just bring the cup back to where it belongs. I would love to rub it in these Canuck loving fans over here in Vancouver.

10. Shane1313 says:

Well this seems good!
    Hopefully he does hir Brisebois or even carbo, or someone that will help him. It’s a big job sometimes it’s handled better by a few.

11. Zorro1 says:

Does anybody know what time news conference is scheduled for?

I know RDS will be carrying it live, but any chance that TSN will as well,or are they only carrying Laff appointments live?

12. Habilis says:

I see alot of comments on here about who MB should hire or not hire to take care of the “capology”. Isn’t Larry Carriere a cap guy? To me it would make sense for Bergevin to keep Carriere on staff if that’s the case.

13. habfan53 says:

Renaud Lavoie quotes Pat Brisson
    “Hiring Bergevin is like hiring a Harvard Grad”
    Says it is an excekllent choice

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

14. FB says:

Hey Timo,

What is Marc Bergevin’s middle name. Is it possible he could be the new MAB.

FB

15. habsfan0 says:

Good signing.

16. naweed235 says:

I am very happy with Bergevin as the GM. I think the man is as qualified as they come and definitely has that X-factor that a GM requires to do good in Montreal. If you haven’t watched them yet you can see some insightful, up and close interviews with him on RDS.ca
    He seems to have a tremendous amount of respect for the Canadiens’ organisation and every time the Habs came up he responded in a near religious manner…
    two quotes that I particularly liked:
    – When asked how he would feel if one day he is named the GM of the Habs, after thinking for a bit he responded: “Ca serait une hommage!”
    – Also, he was asked whether he ever though he would play for the Habs when he was a player, he said: “Not really… Because in my mind the Canadiens have always been a special team and I never thought I was good enough to play for such a legendary team! ”

He is a smart hockey savant and has an undeniable passion for the Habs. He played almost 1200 games in the NHL in 20 years and is a winner. He was a great team mate and knows what it takes to put together a championship team.

Welcome to Montreal Mr. Bergevin and I hope to see you raise that cup again in the near future on the Bell Center ice.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

Bergevin was pro scout for the Hawks when they ripped off the Flyers to get Patrick Sharp. They also got Martin Havlat for next to nothing.

On the other hand he was also there when they signed Huet and Campbell.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

18. BC HAB says:

I prefer to bitch for the sake of bitching. Isn’t that what people do around here?

If in fact it’s true that McGuire was one of the runner ups I think there isn’t much hope for Bergevin either. We’ll see but I am not optimistic.

20. FanCritic says:

A good coach now and maybe just maybe the Montreal Canadiens will be worth watching again. not sold on Savard though maybe Roy he could guide the defence. remember he played back there…kill two birds with one stone.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much hoopla over the naming of a Habs’ GM. They even announced it on the classical music station this morning.

It’s all getting a little crazy, this Habs-mania.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Fire Bergevin!!!

Just practising. :-D

23. New says:

Today is a great day to wish Bergevin the best of luck. Probably a great day to steal the stapler off Boone’s desk for that matter.

GMs have the good luck to wear out their welcomes slowly. If he can get himself a good coaching team, make a few common sense decisions, and it turns around…does he get his own statue?

Good luck Mr. Bergevin. I wish the bio said “Thick hide – ignores fan’s and media suggestions.”

24. Dr.Rex says:

This is a good day to be a habs fan !!!!!

COnsidering the alternatives I am extremely happy with this choice and beside Paul Fenton who isant available anyways at this time Bergy was my choice and the right choice.

I have been extremely outspoken agaisnt PM but now I feel a little upset for him since it seems he may have been one of those interviwees simply to please the media. Although he was taken serioulsy in the process I think the majority of the hiring team knew all along he was not their man. Possibly Molson was open to the idea but probably not the others.

Today is a good day.

25. Mattyleg says:

Morning tout le body!

Maaaaan, am I ever glad that I don’t have to listen to people talk about Pierre McGuire anymore… Mind you, having said that, I really REALLY hope the second-guessers out there aren’t going to be “If Pierre Were Here-ing” every time something doesn’t work out.

I’m looking forward to seeing what MB can bring to the club. Should be fun.
    Not sure if Paddy Roy is going to be interested in being Head Coach and answer to someone the same age as him, tho…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Yup, hate him or love him, I’m just glad we won’t be hearing about Mcguire anymore, or at the very least, alot less.
      I can’t wait for Bergevin to make some decisions, to give us something to chew on.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah for sure.
        But you and I both know that his first move won’t mean anything.

It won’t be analysed to death a million times and speculation about what it means for his future and that of the club won’t fly around willy-nilly, with people jumping off the boat before it’s been put into the water and others welding their Bergevin flag to their skull and strapping on the gatling guns to defend his honour.

We both know these things.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Head coach are already being suggested, and the guy probably has not moved in his office yet!
          We are a special bunch around here, that’s for sure.

• Dr.Rex says:

IF Pierre was here we would all get free peanuts.

• CalgaryHab says:

Just like everytime Price has a bad game the Halakers chirp uncontrollably?

• ZepFan2 says:

You and me both! Now we can bitch and moan about the choice of the next coach. :lol:

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

26. Ali says:

Now that Dreger is reporting that Bergevin will bring along Dudley and Marty Lapointe to help him out, I’m feeling even better about this decision. Seems like someone who knows their weaknesses and is willing to surround himself with people who complement him instead of building a cone of silence to hide incompetence.

27. Hobie Hansen says:

After looking over Bergevin’s track record in Chicago… he looks like a solid choice by the Canadiens. Some are saying that all the good players Chicago ended up with fell in their lap because they were horrible for years.

Only time will tell I guess? I’m sure a game plan will be set in place by more than just himself. I think the plan will be to rebuild on the fly because of so many contracts currently on the books.

• CanadienBoy says:

Good choice not only play but been involve with all aspect of managements from behind benches and front office better than Brisebois

• TomNickle says:

The large amount of contracts works counter productive to rebuilding on the fly.

Hopefully Bergevin retained more from Tallon than he has from Bowman.

• Ali says:

Talon was the one who gave out most of the bad contracts. If it wins us a cup, i’ll live with the fallout if it takes a season or two to retool.

• TomNickle says:

Better to give out bad contracts than trade the wrong players.

Other than Huet I can’t think of a bad contract that Tallon did. Brian Campbell? I suppose.

I think most organizations would welcome a couple of bad contracts for a Stanley Cup by the way.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not sure if our concept of “Rebuilding on the Fly” differs but what I meant was that he won’t have the ability to auction off contacts for draft picks because some of the contracts are so bad. So he will have to dump/trade what he can and do what he can to obtain good young players without the ability of having a complete fire sale.

• TomNickle says:

7 draft picks in the top 60 over the next two years will help.

There’s still no reason that he can’t move Kaberle for a draft choice.

Gomez’s contract is the only one that he can’t move. And that will change if there is no unconditional buyout or change to the cap floor following the CBA negotiations.

• Hobie Hansen says:

As usual Tom I like what you say but I’d be shocked if Kaberle moves? I know you’ve said there might be a team out there but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Gionta has a nasty contract as well, not that I’d want to see him leave…

• TomNickle says:

Gionta has two years left at 5 million annually. I think you’re being dramatic.

28. Mats Naslund says:

If Montreal is going to buyout Gomez – it makes NO sense to do it now. If they wait they may be able to ditch his contract under the terms of the new CBA. Secondarily, they should at least TRY to trade him before resorting to that last measure.

Not saying it won’t EVER happen – but this is not the time to jump into this type of long-lasting decision. If they buy him out – his cap hit stays with the team for 4 more seasons: $3.5, $4.5, $1.6, $1.6.

• New says:

Nice way to live eh? Ownership calls a news conference because it leaks that Bergevin is the new GM and reporters call you to ask if you will be fired immediately, fired soon, or fired later this week.

Now all the team mates will be calling to pick on him too.

• issie74 says:

I think they could put Gomez on recallable waivers during the season,anyone who picks him up would only pay half of his salary,which would be 2.5 mil per year but they would have to take the cap hit.Still it would be better than a buyout. JMO

NorthTOHab

29. petefleet says:

I don’t know too much about MB but as long as he surrounds himself with right people and treats his players and staff with respect, then I’ll give him a thumbs up. If in doing so, the players and staff turn in a good year and the Habs make the playoffs, great.
    For those who would like to see the Habs vault to best in the East, I would look west to Van City to remind you that being great in the regular season really means nothing. Making the playoffs is the important thing. In 1993, the Habs and the other 3 teams in the final 4 were all 3rd place in their divisions that year. Grit, skill and heart win Stanley Cups not talent.
    Please make Gomez gone and I really don’t care how. Ideally, it would be nice if his salary was not on the books but it’s his spot on the bench that really needs to be addressed. I think about last year and how many games the Habs may have won if Eller was given Gomez’s time on the PP. Oh well. Can’t wait for next season. Go Habs Go.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM

***Habs Forever***

30. BeachHabFan says:

Can one of you pajama-wearing GM’s clarify this for me? The idea of burying gomez in the minors sounds great, but doesn’t he have to go through waivers? And if a team claims him off waivers (he doesn’t seem like such a bad deal at 3.5), and habs are still on the hook to pay 50%, does the other 50% of his salary show up ON the cap or OFF it? I assumed off, b/c he would have been in the minors anyway. waiving seems to be the easiest route (a la Redden), now not so sure.

• Ali says:

Teams can claim him on the way down to Hamilton, but they have to pay full salary and take over his full cap hit. If he were to clear waivers on the way down, and then be recalled back up the Pro’s, then a team could claim him for half salary and only take on half his cap hit and Montreal would retain 50% salary + cap hit. So on the way down, you’re good to go.

• smiler2729 says:

Pajama-wearing GMs!! LOL!!!!!

Best line since somebody called Latendresse Guidoune!! LOL!

As for your question, I hate algebra (see my below post, way below)

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Mats Naslund says:

Montreal would only be responsible for half of Gomez’ contract if he were to be claimed on re-entry waivers.

• RGM says:

If he is moved to Hamilton prior to the season starting he does not have to clear waivers, he just goes. I think that’s how it worked with Redden anyways.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

31. commandant says:

One thing Bergevin should understand, and our past group failed to realize, is the importance of a dedicated assistant coach for the defencemen.

We have so many young defence on the team and coming up through the system and they need a mentor.

For years we didn’t have a former defenceman on staff in either Montreal or Hamilton (until Ladoucer was hired).

I hope we make sure there is a former D on both coaching staffs now, to help PK, to help Emelin, to help Tinordi and Beaulieu, and others as they come up.

For years Jacques Laperriere did this role and we developped a ton of quality dmen.

Lets hope we get a similar mentor. Larry Robinson would of course be great. But if not him, then how about Eric Desjardins?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• JIMVINNY says:

That’s the responsibility of the head coach, not the GM.

• TomNickle says:

General Managers work with the head coach to hire assistants in the majority of the cases.

Also, plenty of teams operate under a you pick one(coach) and I’ll pick one(GM) with regard to assistants.

• commandant says:

Firstly part of my point was about having a defence coach in the AHL and a defence coach in the NHL. So its not just the head coach hiring him.

Secondly. Bergevin is going to interview the head coaching candidates. I would think that the head coach he hires will share the same philosophy on team building, style of play, coaching staff, and those type of decisions going forward.

I assume one of the questions in any head coach interview is… who would you like as your assistants?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

So lots of praise has been given here and on the airwaves to Poile and Trotz for the punishment being handed out to AK and Radulov.

Seems to me Poile should be feeling heat instead for bringing in AK and for allowing a guy who quit on him to come into the room late in the season and now be a distraction. I realize hindisght is 20/20, but for all the nice moves Poile did over the years in being patient and slowly building a winner, seems to me his moves this past trade deadline and since could undo much of the good he previously did right.

• Habsolutely says:

I agree. Nashville is in big trouble. Especially if AK and Radulov decide to come back pouting and not give 100% because they feel slighted.

• smiler2729 says:

But they never give 100% so what’s the difference?

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• mrhabby says:

if the preds can win the 3rd game there back in the race for sure. the series is far from over.

• LNev says:

If they broke curfew thenight before game 2, why weren’t they suspended for game 2? Why let them play that game and they suspend them for the following? Very curious… If AK had bagged 3 in game two, I’m sure the Preds would still suspend him, right? I mean, rulez is rulez.

• smiler2729 says:

HiBby, how’s that for a nickname, the Habs hired a GM!!!

We’ll talk Habs South later when we’ve exhausted ad nauseum the McG…, Bergevin hiring.

How dare you switch gears!

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Not sure about HiBby, prefer burly, suits me better. Yah, I think my ADD kicked in and was ready to move on to another topic.

Okay, gonna get outta here now, will come back later after the press conference when it is announced that Scott Gomez is the new Captain of the Team.

Cheers Smiler, have a good one.

• smiler2729 says:

Have a good golf game, Burly, it’s a little damp and cold out there after the fog this morning, don’t lose your balls!

_______________________________________
          Calling it like it is:
          Jack Edwards is a clam.
          Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• shiram says:

They went to the locker-room leadership group, and they came to that decision, so it was a team decision.
      It does seem like he went all in, and is aiming for the Cup, butif he falls short, well those moves will look terrible.

• Ali says:

Yeah they went to their captain Weber, who it has been said was instrumental in keeping in touch with Radulov and keeping his eye on eventually coming back. So it wasn’t forced on anyone.

33. Habsolutely says:

Maybe Bergevin will hire Julien Briseebois to be his cap specialist. Most teams have one.

• commandant says:

Possible.

or we could uncover the next young hotshot with a law degree and strong accounting background.

Julien was a relative unknown when we first brought him in.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• smiler2729 says:

No more Breezers in Montreal.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• RGM says:

Most teams don’t allow “lateral” moves for their personnel. As BriseBois is the assistant GM in Tampa Bay, I don’t think that the Lightning brass would let him walk back to Montreal to assume the same role.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

34. stevieray says:

Gomez in the gym workin’ out gettin’ ready for next season ….hahahaha..now that is funny
    didn’t he say the same thing last year ??

35. habfan53 says:

As I said below Bergevin was my second choice, first realistic one. However I urge caution and patience with this selection. I DO think he is the right person for the job however I also feel he will make mistakes posibly even a big one. But he will learn from it.
    As fans of this site and the team we will be able to judge most of his actions or lack of after the fact we will not be privy to what goes into his decisions.
    For this reason it is really important for him to surround himself with quality advisors. He will have Serge Savard to lean on another name making the rounds is Rick Dudley. Both have a wealth of experience, have won Stanley Cups and are not looking to become long term G.M.’s at this stage of their carreers.
    As examples of patience being required look at several of the coaches Montreal brought into the NHL ie:Vigneault, Therrien, Julien and Carbonneau who in my opinion where learning on the job and let go to early.
    I think Marc Bergevin will be given some leeway a honeymoon so to speak and he will probably need it.
    One of the first things on his calendar will be to hire a head coach I hope he meets with Randy Cunnyworth, he will probably meet with Patrick but I’m hoping that he brings in his old roomate Denis Savard.

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• TomNickle says:

You bring up something that I find interesting.

Several players had problems with Cunneyworth and Ladouceur. Gill in a very polite way confirmed that Cunneyworth was in over his head and yet people still want him back.

• habfan53 says:

Tom I don’t dispute that there were problems, last week David Desharnais said that when Randy was brought in he thought that there would have been more of a change that he was not the same coach as he was in Hamilton.
        However I said to meet him get his input, would he be interested in coming back as an assitant (not likely) or offered something else in the organization.

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

36. TomNickle says:

This could make Denis Savard the front runner for the Head Coach position.

• commandant says:

I certainly expect him to be a candidate, and a leading one.

I also expect Bergevin to do a thorough search of all the candidates.

At the end of the day, let the best man win.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Bergevin finds himself in the fortunate position of being able to go get “his guy”. Hard to believe he has a better friend and qualified candidate than Savard.

But hey I thought they’d ask Savard to interview for the GM job.

• commandant says:

This is true.

I know Bergevin was part of Quenneville’s staff too… was he also part of Savard’s staff for that short stint, or was he scouting at the time?

Would be interesting to know because he saw what went wrong under Savard and what went right under his replacement.

I’m sure this would help make Savard a better coach.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Bergevin wasn’t on Savard’s staff during Toews’ rookie year.

On Savard’s lack of success coaching. He was put in the position that Tom Renney was put in with the Oilers. I personally don’t like Renney as a Head Coach, but he was put in a no win position from the start with nothing but rookies. Savard was in the same boat with Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Barker, Bolland and company. They were all very young, very skilled and not ready to lead a team on the ice.

• commandant says:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe Savard is a bad coach. I think he’d be a good choice.

I was just pointing out how GMs and coaches today work closely together, and Bergevin’s experience under Quenneville who succeeded with the team Savard failed with, will be an invaluable resource to Savard, and could help him be an even better coach.

I think this is a positive to a Savard/Bergevin combo.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

As I said I believe it’s fair to say that he just had a young group that wasn’t ready.

Quenneville took over a 1-2-1 team. He wasn’t exactly rescuing them from ruins.

• boing007 says:

How about a woman?

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Habsolutely says:

He could teach Gomez the Savardian Spinorama and turn him into a superstar.

37. Habsolutely says:

this is like a huge weight off my shoulders. Just reading this has made me feel great. Hopefully the coaching search won’t be a big circus.

38. mdp2011 says:

Interesting tidbits from Darren Dregger on Twitter:

“Leafs haven’t been asked by Habs to speak to Rick Dudley. But, expect Dudley and Marty Lapointe to be among Bergevin’s early hires.”

39. durocher says:

This is fantastic news — Bergevin helped the Hawks win a Cup, knows what it takes to win, has held various roles on the player selection and development side, and, of course, is a homeboy. I am also pleased that this means McGuire is not the GM — he is a walking wikipedia, but is terribly annoying. There has to be some reason he has been an analyst for years without breaking through to management. I’d rather get someone on the rise, than McGuire.

Reports that Gomez will be bought out are also welcome. We need to move on as quickly as possible.

GO HABS GO!

• shiram says:

That’s why he will have a team to help him out.

• Habsolutely says:

Thats why I thought they’d go with Brisebois, he’s a Capologist.

• smiler2729 says:

I did great in high school except algebra.

If I need algebra done today, I hire somebody.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Stormin says:

are you hiring I know some algebra. Let the haters answer the following equation

why do so many Y people hate Mcguire for no apparent reason, answer is x = Ignorance and or Q = does not look right or have proper last name to match first name Pierre.

Booby Orr, Scotty Bowman, Ray Shero, Ken Holland Pierre McGuire’s references, Enough Said he was a legit candidate.

• Habsolutely says:

Then explain why none of those guys you mentioned EVER hired the guy??? They are friends trying to help him get on with another team, yet they don’t think enough of him to hire on their own teams. Nuff said.

• Cal says:

He can look up capgeek like the rest of us.

• SuperHabFan says:

anyone can surround themselves with “capologists”. You need a guy who knows hockey in charge and who know how to MANAGE as in General Manager. As for MB i guess we’ll find out soon enough. You think Holmgren is a capologist? I doubt it. He definitely knows how to hire the right people around him and trusts them. That how an organization is run, be it hockey or any business.

• LNev says:

“My strength is not numbers, salary cap stuff, but I will learn,” Bergevin said last summer shortly after being promoted to assistant GM. “I always tried to realize what I could do and what I couldn’t do.”

Use the entire quote. It is better. And then your response would be “Oh great, a person who knows what his strengths and weaknesses are and is not afraid to address them. That is much better than a person who believes he is the smartest person in the room, but is far from it. This gives me hope that he will surround himself with intelligent people who each have their own strengths and can build a stronger team with each area of need addressed.”

Or you can be a little internet crybaby, which is what you seem to have chosen.

• ZepFan2 says:

Like Bob McKenzie said, “you hire someone for that.”

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

40. Gerry H says:

I, for one, am not buying the speculation on Gomez. It’s possible that a decision has been made with respect to him not playing next year, but I see no reason to pull the trigger in June (the normal window for doing this). Doing that would leave the habs with a cap hit for several years, when other options could emerge over the course of the summer (CBA amnesty, Europe, trade, etc.). If none of those pan out, Hamilton it is.

41. FanCritic says:

My thing with Gomez is saving money to improve the team. if we are not gonna save money, may as well keep him for the 4th line.
    why send him to Hamilton and pay him 7-mil make him play against the big boys and earn it. as for Bergevin I wouldn’t be doing backflips yet. lets see how much of the deadwood he’s gonna move this summer this will be a good indication of the direction he’s heading to have a competitive team in Montreal. I can’t judge the man when he hasn’t had a chance all I’m hoping for is that he’s not just another playoff GM we’ve had too many of them. I just hope he’s the GM that can bring us the 25th stanley cup we have been waiting for….

• Cardiac says:

It’s simple, if you play him on the fourth line, he’s still taking up 7 million in cap space. You bury him in the minors, you free up cap space to get a real star center or a stud winger.

– Jerry Maguire

• shiram says:

And Gomez on the fourth is counter-productive to what the fourth line should bring to the ice.

• boing007 says:

Two tough dmen plus two tough grinding wingers might work with a playmaker like Gomez?

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• TomNickle says:

Spending money on free agents right now might not be the direction the team wants to go.

Geoff Molson was adamant that his mandate is to build a perennial Cup contender, not playoff bubble team. Free agency is an avenue this team is probably going to start to avoid. Even more likely that they avoid it with Bergevin’s cap limitations.

• Cal says:

I’d like to see 2 stay at home big Dmen to compliment the D the Habs have. Markov, Subban, Emelin, Gorges and Kaberle need the help that tiny tot Weber and Diaz (and even St.Denis) cannot provide while the club awaits Tinordi and, perhaps, Beaulieu.
          As far as signing any long term free agents, I think that ship has sailed.

42. Ozmodiar says:

Big *sigh* of relief. I was getting a little worried that PM was going to be the chosen one.

dominoes….

43. habfan53 says:

Who or What is Sportsnet??

And before you think I am really ignorant why would you put ANY faith in a network that has Nick Kypeos, Marty McSorley, and Brad May as “Experts”

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

44. BC HAB says:

Another wasted chance to right the ship.

• Cardiac says:

If you’re going to bitch for the sake of bitching at least contribute something worthwhile, like perhaps who you would think could “right the ship.”

– Jerry Maguire

45. Habsolutely says:

WooHoo. Great news. New GM, and a possible Gomez buyout. Now I’m gonna go play a round of golf and score in the 80’s. Good to see the Habs train is getting back on the track.

about to head out and do the same thing. Playing a pretty easy track today though, so maybe I can discipline the beer intake and squeak out a mid to high 70’s score. :)

• Habsolutely says:

haha, good luck Gerry. But I have to tell you, from experience, beer and low scoring don’t mix in golf. ;-)

I know, my score yesterday reflected that. Had a great front 9 with a poor back 9 all cuz of that nasty stuff Geoff Molson makes.

• Willy says:

I dunno, i’ve always played my best with a beer or 2 in the system. Like last weekend, bad front nine(38 but with some crazy putting) and a nice 35 on the back nine after drowning down a moosehead at the turn.

46. shiram says:

I’m anxious to know about Subban’s knee, if it’s serious enough for him to miss the IIHF’s tourney…
    Hopefully they touch on this at 2pm
    maybe that means Habs sign him for less, one can hope!

• habfan53 says:

It’s not that serious from what was reported last night it is just a tweak (?) .
      I have a feeling Montreal may have requested him to come home instead of risking further damage.
      Besides Team Canada has Dion AND Luke to anchor the defence

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

47. TomNickle says:

Bergevin’s hiring concerns me but I’m optimistic.

First, if he was hired based on an apprenticeship under Stan Bowman, look out. Bowman has been close to dreadful as the Blackhawks GM. Second, he has very limited experience in a managerial role. And finally, this is just speculation on my part, but this could be the Habs choosing the lesser of three evils. In McGuire you had a guy who former players and coaches have confirmed to be unbelievably arrogant and in Brisebois you have a guy who isn’t a hockey man. This could be the result of Brisson turning down an interview, Nill declining due to family reasons and the remaining candidates not being adequate.

So Bergevin regardless of how everyone feels about his hiring will need patience. He’s going to make mistakes and hopefully they aren’t too grave.

The good news from this, again speculation, is that it’s very likely now that Trevor Timmins and the majority of our amateur scouts will be retained and that Price, Subban and Pacioretty are staying put well into the future. Bergevin comes from an organization that more than most now understands the value of elite goaltending.

Bergevin’s biggest hurdle as new GM will be avoiding getting drawn into a bad trade with Stan Bowman. Bowman will surely offer up some of Bergevin’s draftees for Habs roster players in an effort to strengthen his team immediately while Bergevin begins a rebuild. Bergevin surely takes pride in the players he acquired for the Blackhawks and while they have some nice prospects, none are of the blue chip variety and there are very few worth a long term investment.

Tom what is your thoughts on Stalberg in Chicago? I know he was a Toronto draftpick, but seems to me he has unbelievable speed and may be close to breaking out soon as a scorer in this league.

• TomNickle says:

The day that trade was made I called it a homerun for the Blackhawks. The last half of that season I believed Stalberg was the Leafs best player and I couldn’t believe they moved him instead of Bozak.

He’d be a great fit with the current roster we have but he’s coming off of a career year and the gettin may not be good.

• habsnyc says:

Good points. Bergevin would not be the first choice for every organization. Nill, and I wish his family the best of health and a speedy recovery, is viewed by many as the most talented assistant GM.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

Stability at the General Mgr. position, is the key to a successful NHL franchise.

From 1946 to 1979, 32yrs. We have had but two G.M.s. Selkie and Pollack.

From 1978 to 2011. 33yrs. We are now on our 7th G.M.
    33 years of total turmoil and short term bandages!!

Geoff Molson as a new owner, has made the most important long term decision of his business career. We will know within the next 3 years if he picked the correct and most stable man for this position. Time will tell!!

• Mustang says:

Ian, I totally agree with you. However, Serge Sevard was there 12 of those 33 years so there were 6 GMs in the remaining 21 years. I am looking forward to a new era for Les Canadiens. I sure hope that lazyness and a lack of effort in every shift of every game will no longer be tolerated.

49. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Check out this article from the Blackhawks’ site on Bergevin:

I think if Bergevin gets a solid numbers guy on the staff to help woth the salary cap, this will be an excellent hire. I like the fact that he has made so many connections throughout his career and that he moved in with Denis Savard as a young player. I think that last point bodes well for player development. I hope he will bring a better understanding of what it takes to develop young players in the current landscape of hockey.

50. adamkennelly says:

as long as it is not McGuire or some schmuck with zero experience then I don’t really care who the GM is…I also don’t care what we do with Gomez as long as he is not on the team next year – no chance in hell he can be traded – which tells you something..not even for the other worst performing big contract (like Komi)…

51. commandant says:

Its probably those *****ers at TSN trying to make Louis Jean look bad.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

52. j0nHABS says:

Even if Gomez is unaware of a buyout he must be half expecting it!

53. Chuck says:

I wouldn’t mind them holding on to Gomez just to prove Sportsnet wrong. :)

___________________________________________________

• RGM says:

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

If indeed this initial report by Louis Jean of Sportsnet is incorrect, he should be held accountable. As the Montreal area reporter for a nationwide Sports TV station he has to have some responsibility for his tweets.

Already his reports have switched from Habs will buyout Gomez to Habs will buyout Gomez, timeline unknown with new CBA upcoming. Sounds to me like they are already starting to cover their ass for trying to come up with a scoop first.

Of course in general I never go to Sportsnet for hockey information, but because of the rumour today I actually visited their website and was again reminded of how little pro hockey insight that Rogers provides.

• Mike D says:

Great post, Gerald. And good morning to you.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

Morning Mike, good day today, I like the hiring. Hopefully Day 1 into a new well thought out future for our Habs!

May have to go swing the clubs again today to celebrate it.

• ABHabsfan says:

You don’t think Doug McLean is a viable hockey insider? (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• TomNickle says:

This is it. Accountability and accuracy are two of the most seldom used traits at Sportsnet. Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean, Gord Stelick and company are far often more wrong than right.

This particular occurrence was a tweet that Scott Gomez would have his employment terminated. For Louis Jean’s and the Habs’ sake, I really hope that the report is confirmed inaccurate at 2pm or both could face a lawsuit.

• smiler2729 says:

Stellick has been at HNIC since last fall, mostly on HNIC radio.

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

55. Mike D says:

I’d like to Christen Marc Bergevin with his official HIO handle: MB

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

56. smiler2729 says:

Scott Gomez, who I like as a player, can show up next season in the best shape of his career, play himself into the top 6 and score 20 goals and 65 assists and it’d still be a bad idea to have him on this team.

The worm has turned, all the stench that was brought in during the Gainey/Gauthier now has to be jettisoned.

The new Montreal Canadiens have no place for it.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

57. RobertAlanFord says:

Yay not McGuire! Now everybody breathe, be patient and give the guy a chance. He obviously has a plan. Eight million armchair GMs (myself included) screaming at every step and turn arent gonna help much. Wether he trades the first pick away, trades it down, moves up, its all good. The Canadiens can only get better.

Two reasons why I am a happy camper today.

1st. I called Marc Bergevin from the very beginning.

2nd. I really under no circumstances wanted it to be Pierre McGuire. For him to come so close and and yet be so far away, an undeniable disappointment for him, is a sheer muhuhahaha moment.

To be honest, I am even surprised that McGuire even was considered let alone was the supposed runner-up. IMHHO McGuire is a career sports broadcaster. Hiring him as GM makes about as much sense as hiring Howard Cosell to be a boxing coach.

• Habsolutely says:

McGuire being runner up was his friend Geoff Molsons way of throwing him a bone and giving him a sort of reference in hopes he can get on with another team. Just like all the other “big names” that claim he would be such a good GM, yet never hire the guy.

• HardHabits says:

Win-win no doubt.

• Habsrule1 says:

LOL you never give up do you?
        I’ll just say I think you’re wrong.
        Time to move on. I’m excited about Bergevin and looking forward to the coach being named!
        Who’s your choice? Why end our battle with the GM?

Go Habs Go!!

59. frontenac1 says:

Re/Gomez Rumour. I would wait for 2pm presser to hear from new boss .If it is true ,he will explain why.

60. CalgaryHab says:

My choice was McGuire despite all the haters I think he would have been a good GM.
    With that said Bergevin is now my God and in him I trust and support. We know he can’t be worse than Houle or PG.

LONG LIVE BERGEVIN!

61. Stev.R says:

To be fair to Kostitsyn, you have to visit the Glendale strip club before you can understand why he was out so late.

62. Thomas Le Fan says:

Bergevin sounds like a good choice. Of course, as this season showed and the first round of the playoffs certainly show, nobody knows nothing about nothing in predicting this game. I guess time, as always, will tell. Go Habs!

63. sims says:

anyone else cry a little every time you see 22 YEAR OLD Ryan McDonagh play 20+ minutes on the #1 team in the conference. Gomez trade was not only the worst in habs history but maybe worst in the league.

With that said, Molson should just raise the beer cost a nickel and send Gomez to hamilton. sure he saves 3 million with a buyout, which is a lot of money to me, but i dont own a beer empire

Can a buyout occur at any time? if so, why rush it? maybe the new cba will bring an ‘out’ on this contract. seems logical to me…but what do i know

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah, my buddy… watching any NYR playoffs with him, every time McDonagh is on the ice, he cries…

Get over it. No use in crying over what’s done.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• RGM says:

Worst in the League would have to be, I submit for your consideration, Markus Naslund for Alek Stojanov.

Also, the buyout period for contracts is a two-week window in late June.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Chuck says:

Dryden for two sacks of wet cement from Boston… that one turned out pretty well for us.

___________________________________________________

• RGM says:

Yeah but in their defence they’ve been using that cement to fill Jack Edwards’ head for the past forty years.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• HabFanSince72 says:

Sadly that trade isn’t even top three worst Hab trades of all time.

Roy, Chelios, Leclair/Desjardins in that order.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

64. Kooch7800 says:

What an interesting 24 hours in Habs land…..

Former player AK 46 gets suspended for being a douche bag selfish player….explains a lot about his streaky play and half hearted effort. I am glad he is gone.

Gomez is going to be bought out (don’t agree with that…why not try and trade him to a cap floor team first)

And new Habs GM Marc is named. I think they made the right call there. he has a lot of experience and must have interviewed well. PG was just handed the job by BG.

65. sane hockey fan says:

The media has a history of plain ol makin’ sh!t up. Kinda like how Roy was promised the coaching job. I won’t believe anything until the team says it themselves. Of course that ruins all the fun of discussing all the possible scenarios ;)

66. Mike D says:

Courtesy of Dave Stubbs’ Twitter:

RT @ChrisKuc: One thing that will help Bergevin be successful GM of #Habs is that he knows EVERYONE. Biggest Rolodex in hockey #Blackhawks

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

67. Stev.R says:

Molson did the smart thing. He pretended that Mcguire had a shot at getting the job so that the “lamestream” fan will think that Mcguire was at least seriously considered. That will ease some of the anger that they will have.

Bergevin was one of the top contenders from the very beginning. It’s nice to see they took their time and made the right decision.

• Habsrule1 says:

OMFG…give it up! I guess Minnesota & Calgary did the same thing?
      Did McGuire have sex with your wife or mother for you to hate him so much?
      The man was a legit candidate who likely lost out because he lacks recent NHL managerial experience.

Go Habs Go!!

• Stev.R says:

He lacks a brain, that’s his biggest problem.

• RGM says:

False. You’re thinking of the word “filter.” He lacks a filter from his brain’s ideas to his mouth.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• D Mex says:

I don’t see how he would / could have represented the Habs in a credibile manner – actually, any NHL franchise for that matter …
            Strikes me as a guy who talks first, thinks second.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• commandant says:

To Reverse the question, why do you love Pierre so much, defending him at every turn?

Melnick is that you posting on this account?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t love him. I didn’t even care if he got the job or not, but the things that are said against him are just stupid. You know some of his mistakes because he is on radio & TV and he’s not afraid to say how he feels. It’s very likely that every candidate felt the same way as Pierre on many issues, but you would never know.
          It’s as if PM’s detractors don’t take a second to think before posting ridiculous things.
          The only reason I can see that he didn’t get the job is for lack of recent management in the NHL. Besides that, he would have made a great GM….and apparently, the Habs thinking was similar, bacause they did not give him 2 interviews to make people like me happy.

Go Habs Go!!

• ed lopaz says:

stev, R. – you’re kidding right?? because, if not, let me correct you.

that is NOT the way people like Molson operate.

He has class.

“class” meaning you treat people the way you, yourself, expect to be treated.

• Stev.R says:

Well first of all, I’m pretty sure that that is not what ‘class’ means, but if that’s the way you’re going to look at it then whatever.

Second, using the heremeneutical key (the golden rule) is a very selfish way to look at the world. You’re essentially forcing the way that you want the world to be onto other people. If I liked to be treated like a filthy animal, would it be right for me to treat everyone else like that.

Third, a man like Molson, who I believe is classy, didn’t get where he is today by not manipulating a dumb bald person every now and then.

68. Marc10 says:

The decision on Gomez doesn’t need to be made with any haste… and isn’t it the new GM’s to make? Not buying the buy out rumour.

Bergevin comes in with a clean slate. His first priority is to get aligned with Timmins for the draft, his second is to sign Price and his third is to lock up PK, Patches and whoever else he wants to tie down – and oh yeah, he has to find a new coach!

After all that he can bury/buyout, trade Gomez. Unless that decision has already been made for him… Not buying that either.

69. PrimeTime says:

You got to wonder……..best candidate or best francophone candidate?? Is the best francophone candidate the best candidate??
    Maybe for Montreal…..what a shame!

• Stev.R says:

He’s both

• Zorro1 says:

IMHO, there is no doubt that,if McGuire and Bergevin were rated equally,then the obvious advantage would be to Bergevin.

Having said that, I think one of the main reasons why McGuire wasn’t picked, was due to his reaction when the Habs drafted Carey Price.

McGuire or Bergevin, both are a little green in managing salary cap in today’s hockey world.

• Habsrule1 says:

Disagree with the reason. Most hockey people thought drafting Price was surprising. It was not the Habs biggest need at the time. I’m sure his lack of management experience in the past 12 years is what did him in.

Go Habs Go!!

• Malreg says:

Name a non-francophone who would have been a better choice?

The best candidate was Jim Nill, and he turned the job down.

70. shiram says:

Lotsa speculation surrounding Gomez this morning, and I do think he will be dealt with one way or another, but it’s a bit premature to expect concrete action just now.
    The new CBA is key, and changes are bound to be discussed surrounding the issue of buyouts.

71. veryhabby says:

WOW, I was right. I love saying that ;)

Listen, sounds like most of the guys they were interviewing had zippo NHL GM experience. Yup one of two other candidates had a few more years as Ass’T GM then Bergevin….but does that make them better? Sounds like the direction Bergevin wants to bring this team to is what Mr Moslon and Mr Savard were looking for.

Congrats, good luck! Go HAbs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. murfee15 says:

Im very curious about this Gomez buy out. they better do their research or wait til the new CBA deal is approved cause there might be changes there. If there isnt bury him. what’s savings of 3 mil to Geoff (im an idiot) Molson and this hockey club who makes tonnes of $. Dont sacrifice a cap hit over the next 4 years when you bury him and hes gone in 2. Look how the Rangers handled Wade Redden.

• Chuck says:

I’m sorry… I missed the part where you thoughtfully laid out your argument for labeling the owner of the team an idiot.

___________________________________________________

• RGM says:

Note to you, my friend: if you’re going to refer to someone as an idiot, perhaps you should look into investing in some grammar- and spell-checking technology before you do so. With the numerous errors in your post, you don’t exactly scream credibility on assessing intelligence.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

73. rhino514 says:

What happens if the team send Gomez to Hamilton or makes an arrangement for him to play in Europe, and he doesn´t show up?
    Does he lose his salary, even though he has a guaranteed contract?

Also, what happens if they buy out Gomez now, and the new CBA creates a clause that would exempt buy outs from counting against the cap? Would the Canadiens be held to the old rules?
    Doesn´t seem to make sense to buy him out before the new CBA is negotiated.

The comments about sticking gomez in the minors. Do you people really know what it would be like to ride buses and stay in two-but towns and one-pony motels, rooming with some kid? The reality of it all is that a veteran like Gomez wouldn´t endure that for two years let alone one. I don´t think that would happen. How many times have other teams done this with established veteran players? Souray, and the other guy, whatsisname? Maybe two or three players in history have been used this way? Won´t happen
    And I don´t blame him

• commandant says:

If he doesn’t show up to the minor league team he can be suspended without pay.

If they buy him out in June and the rules change with a new CBA in September, the league is likely to say… “too bad, you should have waited, your loss”

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Cal says:

I really don’t see a “buyout amnesty” this time around. In order to accomodate a new salary cap system, the NHL did the sensible thing and allowed a one-time no-hit buyout. Since the system has been in place for a while, the GMs should have adapted to it.
        The one thing that may change is that the era of guaranteed contracts is likely over and done with and good riddance.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If he doesn’t show up the contract is void and he forgoes his salary.

Wade Redden kept riding those buses. And at $6M/yr it’s not a bad living.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ABHabsfan says:

If he doesn’t show up in the minors or in Europe then he does not get paid, guaranteed contracts so long as you play, otherwise it is assumed you’re retired. That is my understanding anyway.
      If a guy has the choice of riding the bus for $5.5M or maintaining your pride for $0, I think most every player would suck it up and get paid.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Cal says:

Gomez demoted makes more sense than enduring 4 more years of a cap hit. Overpaid players do take the bus rides. Gomez is owed $10mil over the next 2 seasons. If he doesn’t like being demoted, he can retire. He certainly has “earned” enough money.

74. j0nHABS says:

I am very pleased about this move by Molson. Bergevin has been reported to be one of the most well connected personal in the league with a keen eye for creating a well balanced team on the ice as well as in the room. The chemistry in the room is just as important as the chemistry on the ice!
    There is one thing I worry about though, and some people have already alluded to this already. Bergevin is not a Cap guy. I will be very interested in seeing who is named as the Assistant GM. Bergevin not being a numbers guy will not matter if they hire a asst. GM that can guide Bergevin through the management of the numbers game.
    I am happy about this though and I am excited to see what he can do with some of the dead weight contracts on the team.
    The report of Gomez being bought out is curious though as I would rather see him in the minors so there is no cap hit. Oh well at least he would be gone!