Relive the Habs’ 1992-93 Stanley Cup season

Royweb

The Canadiens were supposed to open the NHL regular season tonight at the Bell Centre against the Ottawa Senators.

But with no end to the lockout in sight, we’ll let Canadiens fans relive the 1992-93 season when the Habs won the last of their 24 Stanley Cups by posting game stories from that season.

The Canadiens opened the 1992-93 campaign on a winning note on Oct. 6, beating the Whalers 5-1 in Hartford. Here’s the story that appeared in the next day’s Gazette:

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs romp, Skrudland hurt; Knee injury takes edge off win in opener

RED FISHER
The Gazette

CANADIENS 5
WHALERS 1

HARTFORD – Do things get any worse than this for Brian Skrudland?

The snake-bit centreman is returning to Montreal today for a close look at what management people are calling a sprained right knee. History dictates it could be worse when it’s considered that injuries have cost Skrudland more than a season (82 games) in his last three.

Skrudland was in and out of this season start, won 5-1 by the Canadiens in what really amounted to no time at all. First shift and thwack! he’s struck on the knee by a chap named Mark Janssens, all 6-foot-4, 220 pounds of him.

Skrudland appeared to be in a great deal of pain after the game. He left the dressing room on crutches.

“It was knee-to-knee with the other guy (Janssens),” Skrudland said. “I could feel pain as soon as we hit.”

Later in the period, Janssens had several Canadiens players climbing up his trunk when he slashed at Patrick Roy during a mini- scrum in the goaltender’s area.

Knee and facial injuries, along with an unsettling series of dizzy spells, held Skrudland to only 42 games last season. His output: three goals and three assists, which is what he may have had in mind going into the game, when he mentioned to a reporter:

“Are you ready for my best season ever?”

Reporter: “Guess so.”

Skrudland: “I know one thing: right now I’m tied with Wayne Gretzky in points.”

Reporter: “So?”

Skrudland: “I hope I’m ahead of him when he comes back!”

Skrudland will know more today about when he comes back.

His injury, needless to say, was the only low point on what surely was a gratifying night for Canadiens general manager Serge Savard. After all, he’d been looking for a start like this from a team he’s learned to like.

“I won’t say I’m too happy with the way we’ve played in our last few exhibitions, particularly against Quebec,” said Savard, “but I like my team. (Brian) Bellows didn’t have a good camp, but I don’t worry about guys like him. (Vincent) Damphousse … everything I hear about him is that he’s got character. I’m not worried about him, either.”

Bellows scored one of the goals – a darting, short shot 45 seconds into the second period, which followed Kirk Muller’s first-period goal. Denis Savard scored midway through the final period, while Murray Craven spoiled Patrick Roy’s bid for his 19th career shutout with fewer than five minutes remaining. J.J. Daigneault and Damphousse also scored.

The game wasn’t nearly that close. It should have been over as early as the first period when the Canadiens outshot the Whalers 15- 5. It could have been locked up in the second when five shots by Bellows produced a 16-7 margin in shots. It was over when Savard added the Canadiens’ third goal.

What kept the Whalers alive until the third?

Ah yes, Sean Burke, where have you been so long?

The one-time New Jersey Devils goaltender was exceptional from start to finish, with 38 stops. He had no chance on the first three goals, although he’d like another crack at Daigneault’s late goal. He stopped a flood of others after Muller had beaten him fewer than two minutes into the game.

“It was a nice way to start the season,” said Muller, who was the Canadiens’ best player. “I guess you could say I had a lot of net to shoot at.”

Muller guesses right, but Whalers goaltender Burke kept his guessing to a minimum. He was formidable on Savard during a power play and on Bellows during the Canadiens’ dominant first period.

“I didn’t have any trouble getting back into the game after missing all of last year,” said Burke. “I’m pleased with the way I played.”

No doubt, so are the Whalers, but what matters is that general manager Savard was properly delighted with his team’s first outing. He must have been even happier when referee Mike McGeough disallowed a Hartford goal by Andrew Cassels in the second minute of the third period, in the wake of what commonly is known as a quick whistle. The puck was loose on the other side of Roy, while McGeough was against the boards.

McGeough disallowed another late in the period when he ruled the puck was kicked by John Cullen beyond Roy. The reality is that Eric Desjardins may have contributed mostly to the kick.

Nobody’s perfect.

THREE STARS

1. Kirk Muller, Canadiens
2. Brian Bellows, Canadiens
3. Sean Burke, Whalers

To clarify Shiram’s comments below, here is quote from Aces Coach.

Also cut was hometown favorite Scott Gomez, who skated with the Aces during the preseason because his regular job with the Montreal Canadiens is on hold because of the National Hockey League lockout. But that was expected.

“He never had any intention of playing,” Aces coach Rob Murray said. “He didn’t get cut because he couldn’t make the team.”

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/10/10/2656762/alaska-aces-cut-four-players-from.html#storylink=cpy

2. shiram says:

Thanks to Dave Stubbs, we all should have known Gomez would inevitably be cut from the Aces, as Gomez never intended to play there, considering this, well it’s really non-news to me.
    But Gomez is still a draw for clicks and so his every chirp will be reported…

Thanks for the game update HI/O!!!! What a team of character on this 92 roster. Me thinks Kirk Muller will go on to become quite a coach in this league.

As for Mark Janssens, he is a goon!

CHeers!

Good Morning!

Talking baseball!
    Anyone but the stripe shirts. They have always had the philosophy of big bucks can buy a championship.

I always pick the under dog team with the best team chemistry.

• Curtis O Habs says:

No, their philosophy is that a classy franchise attracts the top talent. In a no cap system, you have to pay for that talent.

• Ian Cobb says:

I believe a classy franchise drafts kids and develops them on the farm, not buy other teams developed players.

Ian, I understand the concept of not liking teams who buy championships, but the Yankees may be one of the best teams at recognizing young blue chip talent and keeping them.

Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano and Rivera (the injured closer) are just three examples of how the Yankees have built a core of players from day one and added pieces around them.

I hate the Yankees, but one cannot dismiss their ability to recognize great young players and develop them. Fortunately they have the income to afford adding players as required, Rogers has oodles of money available to do similar with Blue Jays but choose instead to pay Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean rather than add much needed players to the Blue Jays roster.

• Lafleurguy says:

Despise the Bronx Bombers too but amazed at how George Steinbrenner bought them for only 25 mill in 1973, and whereas the newbie and “Miracle” Mets had won in ’69 and ’73, the Yankees hadn’t won since ’64. Then a “Flood” (thank you Curtis) of free agency began after ’75, and the parade of players began including Reggie Chocolate Bar and Straw Jackson, Jim Catfish Hunter, Goose (don’t call me Rich) Gossage, Tommy Elbow Makeover John, and others including Alex the-Blonder-the-Better Rodriguez. Loved the antiquity on that team especially the Iron Horse (was that Lou Gehrig or Gary Cooper?).

“May you live in interesting times.”

Lou Gehrig was indeed the Iron Horse, he has a special spot with me. My father past away years ago of ALS and as soon as he was diagnosed I immediately read everything I could about Lou. Having never seen him play, I feel as though I watched his entire career.

Babe and Lou were polar opposites but what a formidable tandem, the best 1-2 punch in baseball history.

5. Cal says:

**chirp…chirp…**
    Crickets in October?
    The lockout is killing this site. Yet another consequence of greed and stupidity married.

6. Habilis says:

Today’s lockout rant:

I know it’s going to be 50/50, you know it’s going to be 50/50, everyone knows it’s going to be 50/50. But yeah, flush a bunch of games, possibly a season down the toilet getting to that point. Smart.

In real hockey news, TSN 690 will be broadcasting Bulldogs games for now.

7. twilighthours says:

If memory serves (probably not), the habs lost the next one to the expansion senators.

8. Propwash says:

Anybody remember this? It wasn’t too long ago.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Hotsauce says:

what a game……
      that was my best memory as a Habs fan….

• twilighthours says:

How freaking good was kovalev?

Also, wish these clips showed when komisarek went berserk. That was a turning point in the game.

• jon514 says:

The takeaways from this video are:

1) Ryder got a raw deal in MTL. 4 million is cheap for a 30 goal scorer.
      2) Markov is our best player when healthy.
      3) Even with the Ranger Gomez couldn’t score on an open net.

• JohnBellyful says:

The best part of the clip? Seeing Gomez in a Ranger uniform. Those were the days. WHEN GOMEZ WUZ A RANGER!
      Nice memory to relive but now you’re going to dredge up that old controversy, who’s better, Huet or Price? Some things are better left undug.

9. Hotsauce says:

wow, Ryan is getting totally wrecked in the VP debate, it’s almost like a political Robinson-Schultz………

10. Brady Vail now tied for 3rd in OHL scoring with 12 points so far.

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

11. Bripro says:

OK you guys have confused me … I know, not hard.
    You’re having a mini-summit on the 26th (a friday).
    And it’s to watch the Hamilton Bulldogs, but people are staying in Burlington?
    How far apart are these two cities?
    What happens if there’s celebrations after the game? You know, artificial stimulants, drinking, whatever…..
    Who’s driving where?
    My wife can’t come, like I said …. it’s a friday. Work and all.
    I’d love to come, but I have to figure everything out!
    And my brain is melting.
    Any idea what everyone will be doing afterward?

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Curtis O Habs says:

Get a room at the Quality Inn on Main St., Hamilton. You can walk to Copps and Hess Village (pubs galore). Artificial stimulants are everywhere. Burlington is 10 to 15 minutes away.

12. SnowManHabs85 says:

Was RDS suppose to televise the La Tournée des Joueurs game tonight? Anyone know?

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

13. zak says:

Bust the union….then the players who want to play in the nhl will stay and all the russians can go play in the KHL

Hire the best regardless of language

14. Scott Gomez cut by Alaska Aces…
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• Mark C says:

Wasn’t he just with the team to practice, with no intention of ever playing for them?

• punkster says:

Never let facts get in the way of a great story…from the greatest Canadiens and NHL news site.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Never let the facts get in the way of a great story?
          It isn’t a fact that Scott Gomez was cut by the Alaska Aces?
          If it isn’t a fact then my apologies, I’ll take the story down from my site. If it is a fact then you owe me an apology.
          Telio
          ***Subbang baby!!!***
          The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
          Twitter: @teliopost

• punkster says:

How does a player “get cut” from a team when he “never had intentions of playing”?

Again, as per the original article “Also cut was hometown favorite Scott Gomez…But this was expected”.

You’re attempting to sensationalize something that never existed. He was not trying out for the team and it was common knowledge weeks ago when the news came out that Gomez would be practicing, working out, etc, with that team but that he had no intention…and I’ll repeat it for you…no intention of playing with them.

No need to apologize. It’s your site and your headline.

Run with it.

Run like the wind!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Hey Telio, I think Mark and Punkster were alluding to the fact that you purposely elected for a misleading headline in the hopes of stirring up controversy and traffic to your site. Are they wrong, or did you not think that headline would boost page views more than, say, “Gomez leaves Alaska Aces.”

I like your site, and as a former journalist, I understand where you’re coming from and all, but just because something is true, doesn’t really make it honest.

• pooky says:

Great headline and great website, love it!
            Gomez stinks and deserves all the negative headlines he can get!

• twilighthours says:

Punkster, his site leaves a lot to be desired

• punkster says:

Twi…I have a couple of ex wives like that.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• punkster says:

Yes, yes…I read this elsewhere earlier today.

You have created a stunning headline…now do you choose to ignore the underlying facts of this?

It was well known he was only working out with them…as per the coach “He never had any intention of playing”.

(Possibly the most misleading Canadiens and NHL news site.)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

This is why I don’t even glance at your site.

How does Gomez get cut from something he wasn’t even a part of, except to skate with.

Talk about hard up for news.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

NHLPA vs The NHL: “Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right” – Stealers Wheel

Stuck in the Middle

15. JohnBellyful says:

I’m not going to let a lockout put an end to the 2012-13 season for me. The Canadiens are going to play 82 games, whether they know it or not.
    Now some fans will prefer to relive the 1992-93 season, which HIO is graciously rerunning, but my preference is to fabricate a new season altogether, as played in a Fantasy Universe I’ve inhabited for a number of years, using today’s players, so that when Bettman says there will be no hockey played this winter, I’ll be able to look him in the eye and say: FU.
    No more lockout diary, it’s FU 2012-13 from here on in.

What’s more shocking: season begins as scheduled or Habs win opener?

MONTREAL – Already ecstatic the National Hockey League and the players’ association signed a five-year deal 48 hours earlier, fans of the Montreal Canadiens left the Bell Centre this afternoon in a state of perfect bliss after their team defeated the Buffalo Sabres 4-2 with a pair of empty net goals.
    “Incredible, there’s no other word to describe it, other than unbelievable or fantastic,” Hab captain Brian Gionta said after the game. “I think the team played terrific hockey, considering we only had one practice – last night at midnight – to get ready for today’s game. And you have to give the Sabres credit for putting up a tough fight, getting here just a half-hour before the game and then having to play most of the first period without equipment.”
    It arrived five minutes before intermission.
    Montreal made the most of its advantage, scoring twice on the power play, which could signal the team has finally solved its biggest problem from last season.
    Tomas Kaberle scored both goals on end-to-end rushes, earning standing ovations from the fans and shocked looks from his teammates.
    Buffalo tied it in the second with a pair of shorthanded goals, making it obvious the Canadiens will need to do something about their power play if they don’t want a repeat of last season’s fiasco.
    The winning goal came on a play many will point to as proof the league acted in haste in deciding to skip training camp and the pre-season in order to begin the season as scheduled – with a matinee game no less.
    Sabre netminder Ryan Miller created the opening for the Canadiens when, showing signs of extreme fatigue in the latter part of the period, he skated over to the Buffalo bench and asked Jhonas Enroth to take his place while he replaced his sodden undershirt. He also asked him why he puts an h after J and not after the o.
    Unfortunately for Miller, in his dazed state, he chose to make his move while play was in his end, and Travis Moen notched the winner from the corner on a PK Subban slapshot that banked off his knee.
    “I’ve been up most of the night, I haven’t eaten in hours, I got banged up pretty good in the first period playing without pads, this whole thing with the J and the h and the o has been bugging me … I, I, I … I don’t where my mind was, other than I thought it was a scrimmage,” a distraught Miller told reporters later.
    Canadien officials said Moen is expected to miss four games with what they described as a “lower body complication.”
    Kaberle completed the scoring and his hat-trick with an end-to-end-to-end rush – he forgot the puck the first time up the ice – that ended with an empty-net goal seconds before the end of the game.
    Carey Price made 23 saves in the Montreal net, four more while outside his crease.
    The Bell Centre exploded with cheers, whistles and thunderous applause when it was announced the game’s three stars were the fans in the building.
    It’s been a hectic two days since NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Don Fehr called a surprise news conference to announce the two sides had finally settled on a five-year deal.
    The key sticking point was resolved when both the league and the union agreed to a 57 per cent share of gross revenue. Each side will receive its larger portion on alternate months, with the league’s higher cut beginning in January, the union’s in February.
    Although 76 per cent of the players and all of their wives voted to ratify the agreement, a few grumbled the union got shafted when it agreed to receive the higher share in February, which has just 28 days (but it does have 29 in 2016).
    “This could become an issue when we go back to the table in five years and two months,” said a player in the Canadiens’ dressing room with a hand towel draped over his head and most of his body so he couldn’t be identified.
    Fehr and Bettman said more details about collective bargaining agreement will be made known in the days to come but one intriguing hint was given. Both men referred obliquely to a Doomsday Clause, made the sign of the cross, and then left.
    Montreal plays next in Toronto Saturday

16. HabFab says:

So no “economic issues” discussed at the CBA talks. But apparently they are close to a deal on “drug testing”. Yeah!!!!!!!

Vinny over at RDS suggests an immediate drop of 3% and then a graded reduction over the next ten years based on growth criteria until a 50-50% is reached.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s just great Frank. Dental plan and drug testing settled. Cripes!

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Wow, we should all roll a big one in celebration!

*********************************************

17. Pricey Habs says:

Thirty minutes of Canadiens vs Kings 1993 Cup Finals . Enjoy!

18. piper says:

That was a tough team in 93. Even had a true enforcer.

19. Habfan10912 says:

I am re posting this for those that might have missed this.

Hockey Inside Out Hamilton Summit (AKA Replacement Summit) News!

We are all set for the October 26th Hamilton Bulldog vs. Toronto Marlies Game. Here’s what you need to do.

You must call Greg Diamond at 905-546-8177 and mention HI/O Summit. Greg will let you know of the different price levels and take care of your order. Gold tickets are $20 for HIO members. He has assured us that we all will be sitting near each other. We may also have an opportunity to meet some of the Bulldog players.

At this time we have no other formal plans. Please stay. tuned for any further plans such as lunch, drinks etc… Thanks to Habinburlington for arranging this for us! Hope to see you all there!

———————————–

• commandant says:

Thanks for doing this guys

Where are most people staying.

I’ll see if we can figure out a bar close to the hotel, or do we want walking distance from Copps Coliseum for post-game drinks?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Chrisadiens and I are staying in Burlington. Someone mentioned that there is a Hotel next to Coops Arena. Thanks for doing that Ben as I’m 7 hours away and Burly is in Burlington. See you there.

———————————–

• commandant says:

Okay why don’t we go to Gown and Gavel

Its about a 10 minute walk from Copps Coliseum.

On any other day I would suggest the Honest Lawyer… but on Friday Nights it turns itself into a dance club. I think we need a place where we can sit down, have a few beers and just talk and “shoot the crap”… so I would suggest Gown and Gavel.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• JohnBellyful says:

Sounds like a plan. Thanks, Burl’.
      I’ll give Mr. Diamond a call tomorrow.
      If I mention I know you, Jim — by reputation — will I get a gold ticket for $15?

20. Psycho29 says:

I know we are only 1 game into this season but the Habs should try and work out a deal for Patrick Roy. That prima donna was lucky to win a cup in 1986.
    They should trade him while his stock is high and try to get something in return. His career won’t amount to anything.
    Andre Racicot can handle the workload this season, not like this team will go very far into the playoffs.
    Anyhow this kid Frederic Chabot is in the minors and one day will be a superstar in this league and I predict he will break all kinds of league records.

Off the subject of hockey, I just bought all kinds of Nortel stock. In 20 years I will be retired in the Cayman Islands laughing at you losers!! Whooo-Hoooo!!!

21. commandant says:

Roy vs Brodeur vs Hasek will always be the goalie argument over the last 30 years. Personally I take Roy.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

22. Say Ash says:

I just got invited into an AHL pool. Jesus, make it end, already!

23. Cardiac says:

Brian Bellows was one of my favs. He ended up scoring 40 goals that year, and remains the last Hab to do so in recent memory.

I remember getting his jersey with the iron-on name and numbers. I still have it somewhere, although it’s probably more snug around the waistline than I remember.

– Jerry Maguire

24. otter649 says:

I believe Habs Stanley Cup winning team in 1992-93 was the last SC team to be only made up of North American players although Oleg Petrov played in the regular season & had a game in the playoffs but did not qualify to be on the Stanley Cup winning team or his name on The Cup……

• Habfan10912 says:

Interesting Otter. I don’t exactly recall when there was the large influx of European players but I kind of think it was around that time, no?

———————————–

• otter649 says:

Habfan10912 – The next season when The Rangers won they had 4 Russians (Kovalev-Zubov-Nemchinov-Karpovtsev) & Esa Tikkanen their team and since then there has been a definite Europeon influence on Stanley Cup winning teams…….

• Cardiac says:

At that point, there were already many marquee names. Some Europeans among top scorers included Selanne (rookie year on top of that!), Mogilny (who lead the league in goals with Selanne), Sundin, Bure, and Jagr (who is pretty much a point a game player in the playoffs).

– Jerry Maguire

• Lizardking89 says:

The same year the Habs won the cup they drafted a player by the name of Saku Koivu and finally jumped on the European bandwagon.

• Ron says:

Prior to Saku coming to the Habs there had been at least a dozen Euros that were drafted and played for the Habs. Most notable was Naslund. They certainly broke from the tradition of just NA players to keep up with other teams going after the talented Euros.

25. Habfan10912 says:

My comment on the video, Awesome. What a friggin playoff run. Absolutely unbelievable to this day.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

It still gives me goosebumps!

*********************************************

26. Habfan10912 says:

Sid appears to be more optimistic then most.
    ———————————–

Great video… but, I hope that everyone realizes that were it not for Breezer – no cup in 1993.

Would Habs win the cup in 1993 if Price’s in net?

• shiram says:

6 year old Price would not stop many pucks, so no.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Halak played like Roy a few years ago but in 1993 Roy stood on his head for four rounds and not just two like Halak.

• Lafleurguy says:

Roy is better than Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas, Ansemi Niemi, Marc-Andre Fleury, and a few other Cup winning goalies.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

No contest. The only goaltender that has been close to Roy in the last 30 years is Hasek.

Brodeur and Belfour and a couple others are great but Roy and Hasek were a step above.

• Bripro says:

Belfour?
            He never impressed me. The team in front of him did, but that’s beside the point.
            Whereas the ’93 Habs….. no Roy, no cup. Period.

*********************************************

• frontenac1 says:

The only thing Eddie The Eagle was good at was getting into fights in Topless Bars.

• Bripro says:

I’m not trying to argue with you frontenac, but wasn’t he the first ski jumper to represent England?

*********************************************

• Hobie Hansen says:

Belfour didn’t impress you by winning the Calder, Vezina and Jennings trophies? Not to mention a Stanley cup?

I guess you don’t impress easily?

His induction to the Hall of Fame didn’t do it for you either?

MJHL First All-Star Team (1986)
            MJHL Top Goaltender (1986)
            WCHA championship All-Tournament Team (1988).
            IHL First All-Star Team (1988).
            IHL Rookie of the Year (1988)
            NHL William M. Jennings Trophy (1991, 1993, 1995, 1999*)
            NHL Calder Memorial Trophy (1991)
            NHL Vezina Trophy (1991, 1993)
            NHL All-Rookie Team (1991)
            NHL First All-Star Team (1991, 1993)
            NHL All-Star Game (1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003 [injured])
            NHL Second All-Star Team (1995)
            NHL Stanley Cup champion (1999)
            Shares NHL record for most wins in a single postseason (16 in 1999)
            NHL Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award (2000).

Quite the list, no?

• frontenac1 says:

Eddie Balfour was known as Eddie The Eagle and also Crazy Eddie. Loved the strip clubs and would sometimes lose it and get busted for fighting.

• frontenac1 says:

Edit last post. Its OK to get into scraps in Taverns but not in Topless Bars. That is gauche.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sounds like the average hockey player to me?

• Bripro says:

Hobie, I don’t dispute what Belfour has done, or his successes, but I’ve always considered him a playoff goaltender.
          And after he was traded from Chicago, he didn’t seem to shine as much, not even with Dallas, where he won the cup.
          And once he reached the Laffs, perhaps it was the players in front of him, but he never impressed me. But that’s just me….

*********************************************

• English is not a Crime says:

Funny how fantasy over-rides reality when people remember Halak’s lone playoff run with the Habs. The reality is, his playoff stats (average, save percentage etc) in that run are actually weaker than what Price put up the following year against Boston. Halak was yanked in every round, gave up 10 goals in about a 20-40 minute stretch vs Washington, the Habs just had some timely scoring and overcame that. However cling to the cool story about Halak being as good as, or close to Roy.

29. Hobie Hansen says:

Ah, those were the days. The only available news about the Canadiens was in the morning paper or a quick segment on the nightly news.

I used to love reading Red Fisher’s “One from the room” zingers at the end of his articles.

Oh, and the Habs were always really good. I couldn’t imagine becoming a Habs’ fan in the mid 90s and never seeing a good team.

I miss those good old days…

• Luke says:

“Back then there was no internet, cell phones and the Montreal Forum still housed the Habs. You could buy a standing room ticket at the Forum with a perfect view for like $15.00. ”

I remember reading the box scores and trying to get a feel for the game by comparing the times of goals and the time/type of penalties and maybe the little two line blurb above the box. Now it’s Every game in the league, in HD, plus 5 all-sports TV channels, and radio, blogs and comments (mostly negative). The game is fundamentally the same, but the access is so overwhelming that the mystique is gone.

As for the $15… I’m paying that for standing room at the OHL Icedogs game tonight. I wonder what an OHL standing room ticket cost in 92? $5?

And it’s $7 for a large beer. I wonder what it was for a beer in the 90s? Although I do like asking the beer girl who the Leafs are playing when she tells me how much my order is.

30. habbernack says:

DD ranked 20th among centers last year in scoring and 12th among centers with 44 helpers. 700,000 a year .WHAT A BARGAIN

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

31. SmartDog says:

Someone mentioned mediation on the other thread. Didn’t Fehr propose a mediator and Gary F-Uman nixed it?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Luke says:

Not sure. He did offer to play the season under the existing CBA rules as long as they negotiated in good faith though.

So with 80% of the players salary paid… oops i mean season complete… he could say the owners weren’t negotiating in good faith and go on strike, thus resulting in the cancellation of the playoffs. I think Fehr wanted to trump Bettman’s impressive Lockout Hattick by claiming the championships in two sports.

32. Cal says:

Burli’s idea rules the day! Awesome!
    Combine this with Todd Deneault’s new book: A Season in Time and relive those games in a whole new light. :D

33. commandant says:

Kudos to Stu and the Gazette staff for deciding to do this… Game stories from a great season.

I like this idea better than the EA sports one.

Good job guys.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

34. So did they win 5-1 as per Red Fisher

“RED FISHER
    The Gazette

CANADIENS 5
    WHALERS 1″

or lose 5-1 as per Stu Cowan

“The Canadiens opened the 1992-93 campaign on a losing note on Oct. 7, dropping a 5-1 decision to the Whalers in Hartford. Here’s the story that appeared in the next day’s Gazette:”

????

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

35. otter649 says:

Do things get any worse than this for Brian Skrudland ?

Getting traded to Calgary for Gary Leeman & missing out on The Stanley Cup….