Reeling in Yemelin?

emelin

Marc de Foy of the Journal de Montréal reports the Canadiens will sign Russian defenceman Alexei Yemelin to a one-year contract.
De Foy says the deal will be sealed during Pierre Gauthier’s visit to the World Hockey Championships in Bratislava. The Canadiens general manager left Montreal for Slovakia on Tuesday. Canada plays Russia on Thursday.

De Foy reports the one-year deal will stipulate that Yemelin, 25, can return to Russia rather than accept demotion to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Yemelin was the Canadiens’ second pick (third round, 84th overall) in the 2004 draft. The team’s first-round choice was Kyle Chipchura. Later rounds yielded Mikhail Grabovski, Gregory Stewart and Mark Streit.

Hockey’s Future describes Yemelin as “an aggressively physical stay at home defenseman, with a strong shot from the point and above average skating. Will need to bulk some to fill out his frame, improve his offensive production, and cut down on penalties.  Hits and annoys the opposition.”

Russianprospects.com lists Yemelin (whom they call “Emelin”) as 6’1″, 191 lbs. He is from Togliatti, Alex Kovalev’s hometown, a city of 700,000 in southwestern Russia.

AY74?

It has a certain ring to it.

1. Ayan_SB says:

Alexei Emelin is not 6’1, 191 pounds, those are most likely his height and weight pre-draft.

The official Montreal Canadiens website lists Emelin as 6’2, 223 pounds

2. RetroMikey says:

Jagr is washed up and has really not the best in shape, and why do we want to sign players over their prime like Lang, McKay, Dackell, Halpern, Metropolit, etc.. over the years?
    And signing Emelin to only a 1 year contract?
    I tell you, Gauthier is going to be scratching his head with all the signings he has to make.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• SeriousFan09 says:

Since your grasp on the NHL is a bit soft on most days I’ll enlighten you towards a few things.

Metropolit was picked up on waivers and was fine as a 4th-line C. Halpern was our best faceoff man all year. Yemelin can ONLY sign a 1-year deal because of how the CBA works for a player his age coming over from Europe for the first time. Lang was our best forward before he was injured and was about the only C in our team’s history to get both Kostitsyns producing at once.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• RetroMikey says:

You never answered my question about why we sign over the hill players past their peak? Our Canadiens are famous for signing players in this category. Lang only played 1 season, so he’s a 1 hit wonder IMO.
        Speaking of Emelin, it’s a 1 way contract, does the CBA work that way for players coming from Europe witha 1 way contract?
        Didn’t think so.
        Enlighten me again please.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• thirdstone says:

Right, a freak accident like a cut tendon makes Lang a one hit wonder. Are you serious? Any player in the NHL that cuts his tendon (and it could happen to anyone, it isn’t a reflection of toughness or grit or anything) is out for a long time. Lang was fantastic while he was here and his stay was shortened by a freak injury that is in no way his fault.

You didn’t address the fact that two of the “over the hill players” that you listed were good for us: metro and halpern.

• deuce6 says:

Yea…Wanna let Recchi, Selanne, Roloson, Arnott, Knuble, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Brunette that they over the hill and can’t produce? Yea, thanks..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

I have heard rumblings of Jager playing with Max Pac in the fall.!

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Emelin will need time to adjust to the NHL. He’ll need a coach who understands that rookies need to learn from their mistakes.

Oh oh.

5. MilaKunis says:

Finally. I think this is a way to convince Markov to re-sign with the Canadiens. If they re-sign Gill, here’s what I’d like to see for D pairings.

Markov – Yemelin
    Subban – Spacek
    Gorges – Gill

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Why would a rookie who’s never played an nhl game get put on the first D pairing? I mean I just don’t ever see it happen, and I understand completely why it doesn’t happen. What I don’t understand is why you people here seem to want it to happen or think it should happen?? Really mind boggling. Is it because he’s Russian and thats why you want to stick him on the first pairing with Markov?

• thorandresson says:

I think you’re getting confused, being on the 1st pairing doesn’t necessarily mean being the #2 defenseman. I think people like the idea of Markov with Emelin cause he’s a physical stay at home guy, kind of like Komisarek and Markov, or Gill and Subban (not that Gill is physical but he’s a stay at home guy)

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Uh, yes being on the first pairing generally means you’re in the top four defensman on a team. What kind’ve hockey do you watch that you don’t get that? Do you watch pee-wee and think that the NHL is played the same way?

6. Trisomy 21 says:

You can’t take McGuire seriously, he predicted the Habs weren’t going to make the playoffs this past season, after we lost his beloved Halak. I think they did pretty well for what they had to deal with, especially after seeing Philly crumble.

7. habs365 says:

The way the habs are assembled right now add jagr he would become our top scorer.. $2,000,000 one year contract..see what happens after the one year deal…….

8. boing007 says:

Richard R
    Re-sign The Wiz!

After looking at the stats for the regular season I can’t believe how candy ass the Habs were.

The best points getter Plekanec had 57 points for 59th over-all. The next Hab on the list is James Wisniewski at 90th with 51 points. That’s disgusting.

Brian Gionta had the 7th most shots on goal with 298 (most of them from the periphery). His 16.7% in shooting leaves him 151st. Can’t blame Gomez or can we?

The two best hitters that were Habs were Lapierre (26th) with 194 hits and O’Byrne (35th) with 179. LOL. Way to go trading our grit. Next was Andrei Kostitsyn (91st) with 140 hits.

James Wisniewski (22:56 min/game) led Habs D with time on ice followed by Markov (22:55 min/game) coming at 38th and 39th respectively which is hilarious considering Wiz was a late pick-up and Markov was injured for most of the season. JM was an idiot for not just rushing Markov back but for over-playing him. For the forwards it’s no surprise who led the Habs in time on ice: 17th Tomas Plekanec 20:15; 38th Brian Gionta 19:37; 71st Scott Gomez 18:34; 73rd Mike Cammalleri 18:29.

Plekanec took 788 (7th) face-offs for a 50% win ratio and Gomez took 575 for 39th over-all. That is sad because Plekanec is not a #1 centre which makes Gomez a #3.

There is some good news: Carey Price was top 10 in save %, wins and goals against average.

I bemoan the lack of offence and I wont stop until the Habs are in the top 10 again in that category however the team is building from the net out so hopefully, and I do mean hopefully, next season will see our offensive numbers improve. If not it’ll be another fight for a play-off spot and an early exit once we get there.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t like the idea of forcing Markov to rush back from injury. Cammallerri was praising the organization just a couple of months ago, and stated how they were classy. In fact said he felt sorry for people who never get a chance to play for MTL. Well how would it look if Markov came out to say ‘oh you know they rushed me back from injury before I was really ready’?
      You’ll really start to turn people off of playing for the Habs

• SeriousFan09 says:

You need grit, but the effective kind. End of the day, Ryan O’Byrne struggled when Markov wasn’t there to handle all the pressure for him and Laps wouldn’t play his role each game like he should have.

Yemelin puts a nasty force on the back end and next year it’s a full season of Max Pacioretty and Ryan White.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• thorandresson says:

So Markov’s injury is JM’s fault cause he rushed him back? That’s as proposterous as saying that Max Pac’s injury is because the Habs don’t have a tough guy (also JM’s fault), gotta love people who make dumb conclusions like that.

• G-Man says:

JM did NOT rush Markov back. The doctors cleared him to play. I guess you’ll blame JM for the rut in the ice that Markov got caught in as he was being rubbed out?

No, you will never stop bitching and moaning.

10. boing007 says:

Richard R
    Jagr with a hat trick tonight, fed by Plekanec. Sign him up.

11. novahab says:

The Habs will have the deepest and by far the best D in the league if they sign Markov and Geoges . They have the best goalie and Gomez will either bounce back or PG will move him some how. Habs are set to make a run at the cups How about that PG I bet I am right.I said they make the payoffs two years ago and this year and i was right. I should be getting your money because your always wrong.

12. Praj12 says:

You guys never change. No one has signed Yemelin and nothing says he will sign with us yet the lines are already set by the internet coaches on this website. I can just Imagine JM, BG and PG reading your comments and laughing their asses off. Go golfing or fishing and forget about hockey for awhile.

On another note, why is there always spam coming through on the posts since we changed to HIO?? Mods any comments about this??

• bwoar says:

So, you’re telling us to stop having a discussion and forget about hockey…. then complaining about spam on the site?

Nice, thanks for posting, your Highness.

13. novahab says:

Pierre MacGuire once against has proven he is so far up the media of TO A*& he will never see the light of day. Ok jerk two years ago you said they wouldn’t make the playoff and this year the samething. Maybe three times is a charm for you jerk. Ok time to put you money where you mouth is. I am now offically challeging the mouth to quit walk away if the Habs make the playoffs this year.I am counting on Boone to pass this on to him and if the Habs don’t I and I hope all other Habs fans on here will crown him the best. Come on jerk step up if you think you know it all.

14. Bigdawg says:

What’s with the hate on Spacek…all this he is useless and untradeable and all that talk.

He certainly has lost 2 steps but can bring a lot to a team made up of young inexperienced D. He has the best +/- on the team, is a vet with a ton of experience and plays smart.

Sure he is a little overpaid and we may have to take something less than ideal in return or give a little more to entice a trade, put barring injury, Spacek will be a regular in the NHL next year.

–still trying to figure how stuff works here

15. habstrinifan says:

With Emelin’s imminent signing, the defense of the team seems to be set. And there is general consensus here in HIO and among analysts like F Gagnon. Even though there is some debate re WIZ, many people agree on the defense.

But there has been so little on the forwards and possible additions. And this is wher ethe team MUST improve if it is to escape the cellar of 5-on-5 scoring and if it is to take advantage of the next two years of Carey Price and P.K Subban and the seemingly sound defense that has been assembled…. if all is healthy.

It will be interesting to see what additions are made to the group of forwards and to JM’s system to improve our scoring.

If the HABS do not improve from the bottom rung of “goals for”, I agree with Pierre MacGuire that they wont make the playoffs next year.

• HardHabits says:

I agree. Habs were top 10 in PP, PK and goals against but bottom 10 in goals scored. They need to be top 10 in PP, PK and goals against next season again but also be top 10 in goals for to be top 10 over-all and exceed 100 points.

16. Propwash says:

I guess it’s safe to say buh bye to the WIZ, It’s too bad cause he did a good job during his stint as a Hab.

17. bwoar says:

Gorges & Gill = great bottom pair, nothing more. I know, I’m completely clueless about hockey and all, but neither of these defensemen do a consistent job of protecting the front of the net. Gill is great at blocking shots but gets caught up ice and it’s frequently his partner (Gorges) left to do something about attacking forwards when they reach the slot. The number of times Josh Gorges ends up in his own net says plenty about who is controlling whom. Both are solid at ‘The System’, but neither to me is a solid top 4 on a 1st class defense. And we’re in a position with Markov and Subban to build just that.

It’s not a popular viewpoint around these parts but I’d rather find at least one tougher, stronger defender to replace one of these guys. It could be that Yemelin is that player, we just don’t know yet.

18. The true test will be if Emelin can keep himself in check when dealing with the pests in the league and stay out of the penalty box doing so.

BTW: We Timo’d PfHabs on EOTP.

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

19. Sean Bonjovi says:

If we assume Markov, PK, Georges, Gill, Weber, (Y)Emelin, and Spacek on Defence who plays the right point on the second PP? Is there a forward who could pull that off, who isn’t already playing forward on the 1st PP?

20. Habs4Life2011 says:

If this indeed occurs, it’s great news for the Habs! I’d love to see PG unload Spacek SOMEHOW…for anything! We could use that 3.8 and keep Wizniewski who I feel played an amazing role on our team. It would also enable us to have 4 SOLID defencemen..considering we kept Markov of course.

In my dream world, my 6 starting D’s to begin 2011 would be as follows:

Markov-Subban
    Wizniewki-Emelin
    Gorges-Gill

What do you guys think???

• jimmy shaker says:

in a perfect capless NHL world, that lineup would be great and i’d take it in a heartbeat, but like many of us posted below that lineup will never happen. Spaceman is on the D for one more year and Wiz will be too expensive to keep, so the D will look like this next year….

Markov/Subban
      gorges/gill
      spaceman/yemelin
      weber

shaker

• pmaraw says:

and in week 3 it’ll be

wiz – subban
      georges – gill
      weber = emelin

• jimmy shaker says:

that’ll never happen my friend…….markov will be here (I don’t think PG will dump marky for the wiz) and so will spacek……he’s almost as untouchable I mean untradeable as gomer.

Shaker

• pmaraw says:

i was thinking more about his injury proneness and basing it off the lines made by habs4life. I pray if we do keep marky that he has a healthy season for a change, but im not counting on it.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think Wiz’s market value is too much to pay a defenceman to play the 2nd PP and not kill penalties.

• Bigdawg says:

Now that is a D line up worthy of a contender

21. christophor says:

I drew up a good PP but the format doesn’t work. Shucks. NVM.

22. ……………….

Habsnation is still standing.

23. filincal says:

I think its fair to say our D-corps will look vastly different next season. I’m real curious as to who’s offered contracts and who actually stays.

24. avatar_58 says:

Why are potential D pairings minus Wiz? It’s not hard, unload Spacek for peanuts (100th round draft pick) and then sign Wiz with his money. Problem solved.

I don’t understand why they would start 2011 with Spacek on D. No no no. Younger, faster, tougher. We’ve had enough of Hamr/Spacek, it’s time to thank them and move on.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is no one would pay **** all for Spacek. We’d more likely have to pay someone else to take him as he’s a salary dump.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• jimmy shaker says:

They have to eat spaceman’s contract for one more year, nobody is going to take him off our hands for 3 point whatever mill he’s making. He almost as hard to trade as gomer. The Wiz is going to ask for 4mill per and upwards. That’s too much cap tied up in the D even with Hammer’s money coming off the books, with most of it going to markov’s, gorges’ and gill’s new deals anyways. Plus the brass will be more than happy with yemelin coming in and taking the wiz’s spot, therefore freeing up some extra cash for a very good forward who can score and bang……..brooks laich!!!!

Shaker

• eric says:

I think Weber can take Wiz’s place for alot cheaper. Use that money elsewhere

• Marc10 says:

Spacek is untradeable. He’s small, non physical, can’t hit a barn from the blueline and slow. At his price point, no one will take him. So you either use him or ignore him. And because he’s over 35, I believe he counts against the cap no matter what. So he’s really untradeable.

Wiz is going to cost a ton of coin. He was terrific on the PP and he’s in the prime of his career. Someone will hand him a pile of cash. Given the Habs are looking for help up front and it’s in thin pickings on the free agent market, I suspect they would rather overpay and make a serious run at Laich. (They will need to overpay as we’re the worst place in the league on taxes… and a lot of players factor that in – as well they should.)

And you have to keep in the back of your mind that come 2012, Price gets pricey and PK gets some coin too. Factor in Max Pac and Eller and you’ve got some serious expenses coming your way.

Offloading Hammer helps. Perhaps eating Gomer’s salary does that too, but Wiz has the potential to turn into a Brian Campbell or Sheldon Souray type of deal. For what he brings, I don’t imagine that’s a risk Gauthier will want to take. So we let him go with thanks for a great contribution.

And while you’re mulling that over, you have to remember that there’s a new collective bargaining agreement on the horizon. That could make things even more interesting when it comes to long, expensive contracts, burying players in the minors and the final cap number.

The better option in such a scenario is getting the most from young, cheap players… like Yemelin!

Anyhow, just my thoughts. They might well find equally good reasons to sign Wiz and find a way to make Spacek go away. That’s why PG gets the big bucks. I wish him luck!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Bigdawg says:

Sure he is a little overpaid and we may have to take something less than ideal in return or give a little more to entice a trade, put barring injury next year, Spacek will be a regular in the NHL next year.

• Marc10 says:

I don’t hate Spacek. I’m sure he’s a fine chap and he did a good job against Washington last year in the playoffs. And he was once a pretty good player for Buffalo…

But this year he was a disaster. He took about 20 games to get going at the start of the season and when playoff time came around he was a liability. In Game 3, Hammer and Spatch let Boston back into the series by d***ing around with the puck in the zone when there were tons of options. And it was all downhill from there.

It is what it is. We’re stuck with him for one more year. He says he isn’t happy with his play and will make the necessary adjustments over the summer. I hope so. If he’s the Spacek they had in Buffalo, I’ll be very happy with that.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
          Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

25. HalifaxHabs says:

Here’s how I see our D shaping up

Subban Gill
    Markov Gorges
    Emelin Weber
    Spacek (8th spot)

Ridiculous PP unit with Markov and Subban

I don’t see the Habs spending anymore significant money for that 8th spot. It’ll be someone like Picard was this year, or someone from Hamilton(maybe Nash or Carle takes the next step).

It looks like they could be left with upwards of 5 million to spend on a UFA forward or two 2nd tier UFA’s. No one knows for sure at this point what it will cost to get Laich with term, or to grab Jagr for a year or two, or what Leino will be looking for, but it looks like the Habs will have the wiggle room to make a move or two up front.

It gives me something to be excited about for July 1st. I hear PG is meeting with Don Meehan next week, and Meehan represents Markov, Kostisyn & Yemelin. I hope they got those deals signed so we can get a better picture of the cap for next year.

• habstrinifan says:

I like your defense corps but I like the pairings of as posted below by Jimmyshaker.

My reason for pairing Markov/Suban is I am hoping that JM’s system next season incorporates more involvement by the defense in 5-on-5 attacks. Let Subban fly a little more whch he wont be able to do with a lead-footed Gill.

On the discussion as to Hammrlik/Gill.. I think I would keelp Gill before Hammrlik. Leadership and chemistry. And I am not sure that Hammrlik will settle for a reduced role once healthy.

Not a fan of spending big money on the WIZ, especially now with Emelin coming over… so I am ok with your top 6 not including WIZ.

It really seems that with a healthy Gorges and Markov and with a hard-nosed Emelin and Markov, Subban and Weber providing the fire power this team will have one of the best rearguards.

For an 8th defenseman, I would add either a tough nosed kid from the minors or try and pick up a bruiser from someone else’s roster.
      Someone who wont play regularly but when inserted will add truculence.. yeah I know Burke’s word.

26. jimmy shaker says:

Here will be the wiz’s replacement, looks and sounds to be a similar type talent as the wiz but at a cheaper price tag. That would leave the D looking in really good shape I feel, with the 7 boys as follows….

Markov/Subban
    Gill/Gorges
    Spacek/Yemelin
    Weber

I’d like to keep the wiz and have him in there with yemelin, but he’s going to be awful expensive, and the back end would have too many dollars tied up in the cap I think.

With hammer’s contract coming off the books, the cap going up and the extra 2 mill per team from the new telly deal the nhl signed, the management will have some extra money to go out and get a good ufa forward that can add some grit and scoring. Should be interesting. Oh and AK46 should sign a two year deal at about 2.5 per, he has to take a paycut with these last two years hanging over his head!

Shaker

27. SeriousFan09 says:

A nice Hamilton Spectator profile on Randy Cunneyworth, AKA the benefactor of Cronyism from Pierre Gauthier according to some.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

28. 4m3y2j says:

The habs are not going to get rid of Gill,he is too important to the chemistry in the room,many players,particularly Gorges have stated this,am hoping there is a way they can keep Wiz as well-
    I would love to see them get rid of Hammer,Spatch.
    Would love to see Laich in,say goodbye to Moen,ditch Gomez in the minors and go for a top 6 additional forward who can put up an 80 point season 30 goals,50 assists.

29. habsfansince91 says:

if we do sign him to a one year contract, will he become a RFA or FA after the contract expires?

30. Bouleau noir says:

CH prospect Emelin, now 25, matured in the KLM and gained much experience representing his country over the years…. am not shure why but he is presently being listed as a 6’2″ 223 pound player at the 2011 World Championship.

Gauthier is on his way there and according to him Emelin should be NHL ready from the get go at this point.

Emelin status seems to dictate a 1 year contract at bellow 1 million bonus included.

Markov, Subban
    Gorges, Wiz
    Emelin, Weber

Markov would be our oldest player at 32 followed by Wiz at 27, all those duos would be matched left/right handed pairs which is a rare occurence in the NHL and is always a favorable situation, specially helpful for the transition game.

Cap wise would be fine and with the return of Pacioretty we would be three line deep with skillfull and fast skating forwards….. add Konopka to the fouth line with Moen and White and we’re set to go in Boston for the regular season action.

This team would be the best we had so far since the lock-out, good veterans, plenty of kids….. things are looking good.

• TomNickle says:

Why are there so many people operating under the belief that Gill will be gone? Is it wishful thinking? He’s been great and he’ll be back. Everybody in the organization loves the guy. Oh, and Spacek too, he’s under contract after all.

• Gill will definitely be back. I was hoping Wisniewski would be back but with Emelin coming in that’s not going to happen imo.

• TomNickle says:

I’d love to see Wisniewski back too and never say never, but I see it going down something like…….

Markov Gorges
          Gill Subban
          Yemelin Spacek

And Weber as the 7th Defenseman if he’s kept up with the big club.

• ManApart says:

That looks pretty much right. I would definately take Hamrlik over Gill though.

• That’s about how I see the pairings as well, with Spacek alternating out at times to give him a rest. I really loved Wiz, but I suppose if that cap space can be used to bring in a 50 point winger it would be the better move. That’s still a very deep defense.

• Mark C says:

They need Gill; he is easily one of the best penalty killing defensemen in the league. He’s one of the most important leaders on the team, or at least that’s how it seems. The work he did with Subban as a mentor this year was invaluable to Montreal’s future. Plus he’s cheap.

• ManApart says:

Gill has some leadership abilities, but he’s nowhere near the player Hamrlik is. Hammer is a great leader on the ice and is a great example to the young guys. He’s easily a better player than Gill. It’s not close.

• Mark C says:

Gill has some leadership abilities, but Hamrlik is a great leader? I don’t know, I’m not on the team or in the room, but I know I read a lot more quotes from players on Gill’s leadership than Hamrlik, maybe that means little.

What I do know, is that Gill has a lot more value as a special team player than Hamrlik. Gill is an elite PKer. Hamrlik likely won’t get any PK time with Gorges, Markov, Subban, Spacek and maybe even Yemelin. And is left with some 2ed unit time on the PP.

In a general sense, Hamrlik might be the better player, but given the make-up of the D, I think it’s likely that Gill fits the needs of the team better.

• Depending if you’re talking about regular season or playoffs? Hamrlik in the playoffs is pretty bad.

• ManApart says:

They both have leadership qualities, but that only goes so far. With all the so called leaders, this team couldn’t get past the 1st round. Hammer is just as good a PKer as Gill IMO and was like 3rd in the NHL in blocked shots. Gill is very one-dimensional, where Hammer is more of an all around defenseman. For me, you go with the best player and if there is a choice between Hammer or Gill, Hammer is definately the best player.

• James, Hamrlik is nowhere even close to the penalty killer Gill is. The numbers were posted here earlier today, Hamrlik is on for twice the GA on the PK than Gill is on for, and Gill plays against stiffer competition. Not even comparable.

• ManApart says:

Where did people find those stats, Sounds exaggerated? Even if I conceded Gill is a better Pker, Hammer is a better everything else and overall could do more for the team than Gill. for me, bottom line is the team is better with Hammer than with Gill.

• Mark C says:

Gill was on the ice for 3.20 goals per 60 minutes of 4-on-5, Hamrlik was 7.94. In actual terms, Gill was on the ice for 3 fewer 4-on-5 goals than Hamrlik while playing 130 more minutes than Hamrlik, and getting more time against the other team’s top unit. Gill is worlds better than Hamrlik at killing penalties.

I agree, Hamrlik is the better all around player, as he’s more complete. However, this D group will have many of those guys. Gill however posses an elite ability, better than anyone else on the team, to do something that helps a team win.

• Hamrlik during the season was very good this year, but in the playoffs he was awful, like he has been the last 3 years. He gets too worn down during the season, something I didn’t see from Gill despite him playing against tougher competition than Hamrlik did.

Add in that chemistry is valuable. Hamrlik doesn’t like playing with Subban and it’s obvious when they’re out there together. They have zero chemistry.

• adamkennelly says:

Emelin coming over is great news – Habs sorely lacking a D man who punishes opponents- he appears to be just that guy. PG will sign Markov but not Wiz. Cannot afford to have that much loot tied up in the back end – and obviously need some help up front.

Habs need to add a top 6 size with size and 1 or 2 character guys for lines 3 and 4.

I’d pull a move for Umberger and Boll from Columbus and then sign Mike Rupp. I’m a firm believer that providing the proper environment for our smaller guys to play in will prove just as effective as adding a scoring winger.

AK and BP can go away.

31. Mark C says:

McGuire on team990: Yemelin is a Top-4, NHL ready with no need of AHL experience.

32. The Cat says:

My cat got sprayed by a skunk today. Had to clear the house for an hour!