Red Fisher on 40th anniversary of Summit Series

Red_001web

September marks the 40th anniversary of the Summit Series between Canada and the Soviet Union, which changed the game forever.

Longtime hockey fans have been asking themselves since then: Where were you when Paul Henderson scored The Goal?

Red Fisher was right there. In fact, the legendary hockey writer was there for all eight games, the first four in Canada and the last four in the Soviet Union.

Red announced his retirement from The Gazette this summer after 57 years covering hockey and the Canadiens, but is making a brief comeback this month to write an eight-part feature series on the Summit Series, looking back on each of the games. You can read his introduction to the series, which was published in Saturday’s Gazette, by clicking here . Click here to read his story on Game 1, which was played on Sept. 2, 1972 and ended with the Soviets shocking Team Canada and an entire country with a 7-3 victory.

During the month Red will look back on the seven other games, with his articles to be published on the same dates they were played in 1972: Sept. 4, 6 and 8 in Canada, and Sept. 22, 24, 26 and 28 in the Soviet Union.

The Gazette will also be publishing reader memories from the 1972 series. Email your memories to sports editor Stu Cowan at scowan@montrealgazette.com or go to montrealgazette.com/summitseries. Please include your full name and hometown.

To read Cowan’s column on why he thinks Henderson should finally be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame on the 40th anniversary of the Summit Series click here

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. JohnBellyful says:

Watched a show last night on TV’s ‘dynamic duos’. Okay, so it wasn’t Masterpiece Theatre but it made for a pleasant diversion on a warm summer’s eve.
    Guess who was the number one duo of all time, according to the Paley Centre for Media? Seinfeld and Constanza.
    Don’t think so. Loved the show but they weren’t better than Lucy and Ethel, who came in second and were more likable.
    Spock and Kirk were sixth. Sixth!
    And guess who didn’t even make the list of Top 30 duos: Andy Taylor and Barney Fife; Archie and Edith (but Archie and Meathead did); Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton (but Ralph and Alice did); Cagney and Lacey; Rob and Laura Petrie. Gomez and Morticia Adams.
    I could go on.
    But it did get me to thinking of hockey’s memorable twosomes: Gretzky and Kurri; Trottier and Bossy; Hull and Mikita (don’t have to be on the same line); Hull and Provost (don’t have to be on the same team); Lafleur and Lemaire (don’t have to be friends); Houle and Tremblay (don’t have to be competent) …
    The list goes on … but here I stop.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I literally fell off my chair laughing at the HULL AND PROVOST thing!!!

how about Kostitsyn and Mangiola ????

Was pretty cool when Hull was in St. Louis making music with Oates. Hull and Oates had a pretty good ring to it.

• JohnBellyful says:

Hull and Oates, how could I forget?
        No, I mean it, how could I forget, that, and where I put my car keys, why am I at the grocery store, who’s that grey-haired lady in the bed next to me, I did unzip, right?

Well not to pick on your memory which is excellent, but short is all. How could you leave out Adam West and Burt Ward?

I was remiss once more.
            I gotta tellya, though, I hated that show. I can remember looking forward to its premiere, having grown up an avid fan of Batman comics, only to be crushed to see the great figure laid low by campiness. Mind you, it would be hard to play it straight, given the premise. But the Dark Knight movies showed it can be done, by adding some darkness to the storyline, and finding the right actors and actresses to play the roles.
            And who can forget Heckle and Jeckle? (Was Heckle you’re favourite cartoon character? :) )

I probably would have to go with Fred and Barney for favourite cartoon, I know many liked Road Runner and Wile E Coyote, but I always felt bad for the Coyote (like the present day Yotes), however, he did have a great connection with the Acme company. So you think I am Heckler eh? :)

• JohnBellyful says:

Nah. You’re much more lovable. A Tweety Bird, in fact.
            But a bird whose feathers you don’t want to ruffle. You’re liable to end up with an anvil on the noggin.
            (My favourite cartoon character, on the other hand, is Bugs.)

• frontenac1 says:

The”Buddies” from 1970 Montreal TV. Ted Ziegler(johny Jellybean) and Peter Cullen.

• Strummer says:

How about Dick ‘n Danny in the broadcast booth?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habstrinifan says:

This is a fun theme! What about:

Bert and Ernie..

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito.

Bush and Cheney

Bill Cosby and Robert Culp.

Note: Anyone nominating any MASH pairing with Alan Alda will be deemed as contributing to the decline of this site.

• habsfan0 says:

What?? No Gomez & Morticia Addams? No Herman & Lily Munster?

Now I’ve heard everything!

Next,you’ll tell me a PQ minority government with the CAQ as official opposition is all but a certainty.

But, Pauline Marois & Francois Legault would be an entertaining duo.

2. HabFab says:

It’s new… but old and still funny!

Dave_Stubbs -So if Charest says Liberal win helps get Quebec an NHL team, Ontario voters elect whom next election so Toronto can get one?

3. Duke_Rauol says:

So if the the owners and players do not reach a deal by the 15th and the season starts in december, would Galchenyuk still be able to play 8 games?

\——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

4. centre hice says:

Sebastien Collberg scored the OT winner yesterday at the U20 4 nations tournament. Sweden beat Finland 2-1.
    He has 4 goals in 3 games. Could be a pure goal scorer.

Also, Charles Hudon was supposedly one of Canada’s best players in the Canada/Russia series. 1g 2a in the 4 games. Canada’s top pk forward.

• HabFab says:

Hudon suffered what may be a serious injury on Friday night in an Q exhibition game. Sounds like knee but final prognosis is not in yet.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The kicker is, he was taken out by Olivier Archambault, a stinker of a little problem player we wasted a fourth-round pick on last summer. The kid rubs me the wrong way, don’t know why we went with him, he was great in midget, was the LHJMQ #1 draft pick, but then has been a disappointment and head case since.

I don’t even know the kid, but I’m wondering if he’s reducing the competition for a contract next summer. I’m way more optimistic of Charles Hudon making it then Mr. Archambault.

I hope this doesn’t hurt Charles Hudon’s chances for a World Junior roster spot.

EDIT: It’s not a knee, it’s an ankle injury, doesn’t sound too too bad.

“The most pessimistic rumours predict at least a month recovery time.”

Summit News! LOCK OUT,
    “IF” a lock out happens, I have instructed the Bell Center to not refund my visa account, but to hold on to our money and replace all the tickets purchased with the same seats at a date of our choosing.
    It would be a nightmare for me to get everyone’s mailing address, pay for money orders, stamps etc. for a hundred and fifty people.
    Anyone who could not make the new date, we will help you sell your new tickets to other HIO members that would like to go.
    This is only a heads up in the event of a lockout.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments
    Ian

• Timo says:

Hey Ian, you can sell Punkster’s ticket and get me one for when Habs are here in Cowtown playing the lames. I usually get a sit right behind Habs bench so if required, get Dave to commit a required amount.

• habsfan0 says:

How about holding a summit here in Toronto at a Habs Leafs game at the ACC? Half the crowd is cheering for the Habs anyways.

6. habstrinifan says:

@no one in particular except those who profess their superiority or at least their superior ability to detect superiority, I am categorically stating that I have no more social problems.

My wife assures me of this! In fact ever since I have learnt to put the toilet seat down she lets me out among polite company.

Well today is the big Labour Day Classic in Southern Ontario. Mr. Bellyfull good luck to your tabbies today, eat ‘em raw! Evidently my Bombers didn’t get the memo that this weekend is the unofficial start of the Real regular season in the CFL. Yikes were they awful.

• JohnBellyful says:

Man, I just checked the scoreboard. 52-0! Ouch!
      I didn’t watch the ‘game’ but I noted at one point while the scores scrolled by that the Riders were leading 28-0 and I thought to myself, and to others of a psychic bent, that the humiliation will drive poor Burl’ to self-medicate to ease the pain. I was thinking maybe a two-four of beer or a dozen shots of whiskey, it never occurred to me you’d smoke a rib.
      To each his own, I guess.
      (Now don’t ruin this day for me, Ticats!)

• HabFab says:

Soooo! Doesn’t look like it was the coach after all…. huh??

That was stupid to fire LaPolice, he had them in the Grey Cup last year. That team will freefall the rest of the season. Too bad, the city of Wpg. was really behind that team. Oh well, NFL starts in a few days.

But todays Ti-Cat/Argo game should be a good one.

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed! LaPolice is a good coach. He was not the problem. Stupid move. I thought they played a pretty good game against the Lions (best team in the west) last week and then they fire the coach?

• JohnBellyful says:

He ‘lost the room’ — just not as spectacularly as the players did the game on Sunday

• mrhabby says:

hmmm. can’t wait to watch that one. is that the CFL.

• Ian Cobb says:

Looks like Sask, and B.C. with the power in the west.
      Mtl. might come out of the east this year!
      Where is the Grey Cup game this year??

100th anniversary year, the CFL brainpower decided to put it in the Center of the Universe, (said sarcastically) Toronto.

At least the Dome will be sold out, hopefully will creat atmophere. Every CFL game I have seen at the SkyDome has had no atmosphere.

8. twilighthours says:

I rarely wade into the line matchups game. But what the heck? There won’t be a season so I need something else to occupy my time.

Top 4 of subban/Markov/gorges/bouillon. Interchange as you see fit.

Bottom pairing of weber and Emelin.

Diaz the 7th.

Kaberle gone.

• HammerHab says:

I have a feeling Emelin takes a top 4 role next season

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Bigdawg says:

Certainly agree on PK/Markov/Gorges as top 1,2,3

4th will be up for grabs between Cube/Emelin/Kabs (in that order)

I’d rather see a new addition – someone to slot in as 2 or 3 and push Gorges down to 4 where I think he belongs on a good team.

Most people see Cube as 6/7/8 but I think MT will like him and play him and for the most part he will perform just good enough to hang in there.

Like many, I want to see Emelin improve and earn that 4th spot. I don’t think it will happen this year though and feel as though it may take him another year before he has a chance to earn top 4.

9. bwoar says:

Further to the conversation regarding the defensive pairs, I’m hoping to start the season more like this:

Markov-Subban
    Emelin-Gorges
    Kaberle-Diaz

I feel this is a pretty conservative setup, playing only Gorges on his off-side, which we know he can handle. This configuration has the best possibility of giving us 2 legit pairs, and leaves room for Boullion to rotate in on the third pair depending on the kind of game we need.

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Diaz
    Kaberle-Emelin

Fans of keeping a Gorges-Subban top pair together may see THIS as more conservative, perhaps, and having an established PMD on each pair backs that up too. I reckon there are few actual takers for Markov on the top pair, so this setup might, again, be a bit more slant towards consensus. (Realistic? I know plenty of folks would swap Emelin & Diaz.)

My thing with Markov is just this: if he can’t play top pairing minutes anymore, he might as well be let go. We have enough bodies on the left side that one of them already is good enough to be that 2nd-pairing guy. I can’t see tying up that much contract on someone NOT playing on a top-level unit (cough, cough Gomez) and there’s no doubt in my mind we’d find a taker who’ll ante up something decent should we decide to cut #79 loose.

Bonus Super Power Play Edition:

Markov-Subban
    Kaberle-Gorges
    Emelin-Weber

I’m not entirely ruling this lineup out. I consider Diaz a notch up on Weber defensively right now, but Weber in the course of a season will put up more points, and be more effective on the PP by a lot.

Weber-Subban
    Markov-Emelin

To me would make the best shooting scenario, with Weber and Emelin being on their off-sides and in position to shoot. After watching Streit and Souray kill it with Markov, I’m inclined to try him with a left D who can fire the puck. Also looking historically, Weber & Subban did good work together on the Bulldogs’ power play, and it’s possible that the new coaching staff gives this combo an attempt. If they’re willing to give Weber a chance to be the player he’s been at previous levels, he’ll need a regular job one-timing pucks on the man advantage. This does take Kaberle off the power play, however, which probably will never happen.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re being eminently strategic and reasonable, playing the hand you’re dealt, but I won’t be that guy. I’m going to lapse back into shoulda-woulda-coulda territory, ’cause I enjoy a good wallow.

1) Our big problem is we don’t have enough good defencemen. It’s a pretty obvious observation, but I’m afraid we can’t see the forest from the trees, and I have to point out that the Emperor has no clothes. We’re taking for granted that Josh Gorges is a #1-2 defenceman, because he played great last season, relatively, was one of our two best D, and also because of his ballyhooed grit and determination and leadership, but I’m afraid we’re acting like Leafs fans here, and hyping a mediocre player who got star billing due to circumstance. Josh should be a #4 defenceman who sees a lot of PK duty and is a great complement to a defence squad, not THE guy you rely on. But we’ll have to rely on him for another season at least.

Of course, wouldn’t be in this boat if we hadn’t traded away Ryan McDonaugh, we could slot him in on our top pair next season and everyone would assume a lower, more proper rank.

Told you I’d wallow.

2) We’re acting as if Yannick Weber, Raphaël Diaz and Alexei Emelin are rookies who can’t be depended on and will need to be shielded, babied for a whole season, and we’re not far off the mark. The reason we’re in this boat is because instead of developing last season, they got half-rations of minutes, minutes which were misallocated to Jaroslav Spacek, Tomas Kaberle and Chris Campoli. We shoulda played the kids and let them grow up, instead of sinking precious icetime into players who weren’t going to play a part in our future. We coulda been a lot further along than we are now. We hope that Alexei Emelin will continue as a feared hitter and continue to show some offensive instinct, but improve his positioning, and not chase the puck behind the net. We think Raphaël Diaz can play a role as a headsy skating first-pass type, but we wish we could have seen more. We mope that Yannick Weber somehow stagnated last season. We just wish we coulda seen more from all three.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…eminently correct dear Watson
        …hope You aren’t shocked I agree with every morsel You are presently chewing on :)
        _________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Clay says:

But if we had played the kids last season we would have finished in last place.

…oh, wait…

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• habstrinifan says:

I like the pointed criticisms you make in this post. Someone needed to kinda put them on the table and you did. We will have similar problems with our forward group if we continue to ‘try’ players like Geoffrion, Palushaj ahead of the Gallaghers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Strategically, I want Louis Leblanc, Brendan Gallagher and Blake Geoffrion to remain in Hamilton next season.

Blake because once he plays three NHL games he’s now eligible for waivers. Instead, let’s leave him down there, work on his game, and let him develop his explosiveness so he gets another gear on skates. Let’s let him be the ‘veteran’ down there, helping a bunch of rookies acclimate.

Louis needs to play first and second line minutes, special teams, and again practice his skills at a lower level of competition than the NHL. Same with Brendan.

As far as Mr. Palushaj, let’s give him another good kick at the can, a season in the NHL to prove that he belongs. He’s got nothing left to prove in the AHL. If he pans out, great. If not, he’s a place holder while the kids develop on the farm.

• Bigdawg says:

Good comments! I agree with Gorges as number 4, in fact I just commented on it above.

As for Weber, Diaz and Emelin -> they have earned the right to play….on the third pairing. MLT’s problem is, there are three players requiring experience and two spots they deserve open for them right now.

then we have Cube and Kabs -> not good enough for top 4 and standing in the way of these young three.

The right move would have been for a legit top 3 Defensemen not a band-aid Cube that will be asked to play over his head. I think he will do well this year but not good enough to make MTL’s defense a top 15 defensive squad.

10. Rad says:

Alright boys, so let’s talk hockey. What about Collberg — why is he relegated to 4th line duty at Frolunda? Obviously the kid has talent, shouldn’t the Habs’ Director of Player Development be assisting with a better placement for him to ensure more/better ice time?

11. habaholic68NJ says:

Re JohnBellyful’s post below, the quality of the posts dropped considerably during the 2009-10 season coinciding with the emergence of more and more trolls joining this site. In the good old days, Bonne would often pick insightful in-game observations by posters and highlight them on the “about last night’ segment, something that he rarely does anymore. The name change from Habs-inside-out to the present was also a turn-off, not to mention the new format which stopped red-marking new posts when refreshing the browser.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• JohnBellyful says:

You’re right, the name change was a turn-off but even more so was the loss of functionality marking new posts, which greatly assisted surfing this site.

• Ron says:

A few years prior to the year 68Nj mentioned the system was quite abit different from that which is play today. Not only were there a few trolls etc but some posters that I would believe to have a few social problems. Alot of name calling and such to a greater extent than recently. One of the flaws that the site had back then and was removed was the fact your e-mail address was part of your profile and open to all members of HIO. This led to some as*holes sending some unwanted e-mail. That aspect was removed but I think some damage was done that could not be reversed. One of the female poster (JT) who I feel is a great blogger was a regular here and I believe she took some unwarrented crap and left. She does pop by still once in awhile.In all its like alot of situation in life after a while people just drift away.

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks for the background. :)
          I do remember when I first joined seeing some heated exchanges that were well outside the boundaries for civilized discourse, but I believe those have tailed off, while all along there has been excellent commentary from a great many sources, some in-depth, some in-jest, and some incite-ful (but in a good way).

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I joined a few years ago, and I’ll admit, back in the good old days when dinosaurs fought at the red line, there were some very skilled and clever writers. But it wasn’t that different from now. I think it was less popular and there was nowhere near as much trolling, or expression of hopeless hockey-depression, but it was very similar.
            A witty bunch with good hockey sense dominated and posted a lot, and their writing was oftentimes quite funny and prone to wandering. I don’t recall quite as many ‘my way or the highway’ opinions being fired out – it was a bit more easy going than now.
            To me, HIO’s mojo changed when a wave of negative guys joined, sincere hockey-eeyores who made Timo look like Mr Sunshine. Some of them come back even now, usually to celebrate losses. But for a while, the list took on Tony Marinaro’s expertise and charm, mixed with these Puck-Goths and trolls.
            I find it has regained its equilbrium, and it’s an amusing read again. I don’t post much as I have always been a bit of a fly on the wall anyway, but the recent trend has been for HIO to be good reading.
            We’ll see when the trolls return, if we ever see another hockey game. Most people give up malicious trolling in their teens, but if we get some 30 year olds, it’ll be a long winter.
            It’s like a bar. Early in the evening, the witty guys were vaguely glowing and talking. Some left, and were replaced by underage drunks. Fights broke out, and then the drunks squabbled and posed for a bit. The waiters threw them out and a new crowd walked in, ordered beers and began to enjoy quick conversation. On and on.

12. accp says:

I like Henderson. but I believe he only played around 9-years in the NHL and averaged between 50-55 points a season is that enough to get him in the HHOF there’s a lot of players out there that did as good or better and still waiting. the big goal against the Russians. I don’t think that will cut it. but for sure he’s a nice enough guy to be there but nice guys as we all know usually finish last. as for myself. I would like to see him in there.

• Psycho29 says:

Actually he played around 13 or 14 NHL seasons and 5 WHA…Scored 30 goals 3 times and 477 points in 707 games
      He scored the winning goals in the last 3 games of the Summit Series.
      The thing is, Tretiak is in the HoF, he never played an NHL game….should Henderson be in ? I’m on the fence.

• English is not a Crime says:

That’s not a fair comparison at all. Tretiak was a dominant force in hockey and was arguably the greatest goalie in the history of the sport (it’s debatable, but no valid argument can be made to exclude him from the conversation all things considered). Tretiak may not have been able to ply his trade in the NHL because of the way the world was back then, but he sure faced off against NHL shooters more than enough times over the decade to decide unquestionably that he was every bit as good as Dryden and Esposito (for example) who he out-dueled constantly. Paul Henderson scored a goal (ok 2 or 3 goals) but was anything but a Hall of Famer for his career. Aaron Boone hit a big home run against the Red Sox, but isn’t a Hall of Fame baseball player either, Christian Laettner scored a couple big NCAA baskets but… you get the idea. HoF is a career achievement, not a one big goal honour. Tretiak had an other worldly career, Henderson had an average career at best.

• D Mex says:

You appear to be saying that, despite his illustrious career as a Laff, the defining moment of Henderson’s career was ‘ the ‘ goal in game 8 of the 72 series that was set up by Counoyer. Suspect most most here would agree with that.

On the flip side, however, certain Soviet players whose careers were equally defined by that same series have been inducted into the HHOF ?

So the question becomes :
      IF Tretiak merits the HHOF, why not the guy who scored the series winner against him in ‘ the ‘ game ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Un Canadien errant says:

A knee-jerk response as a fan is to be shocked that ‘Paul Henderson isn’t in the Hall of Fame’. After all, he scored the big goal that defeated the Russians.

The explanation that should mollify everyone is that the event, the goal itself, and his role in the series, is prominently displayed at the HOF. It’s not a snub, it’s a different way to include the historical significance of his goal.

Think of it this way: if Rocket Richard had been an average player but the Richard Riot had somehow still occurred, the HOF would have a specific display to commemorate the event and the effect it had on Canadian history, but there would not be a plaque for the specific player. These are reserved for those who have had a sustained period of excellence in hockey.

So Paul Henderson is in the Hall of Fame, for his famous goal, but not as a player, as the man who scored what may be the most famous goal in hockey history. To be inducted as a player, he would have had to have a great career as a hockey player, a giant, like Jean Béliveau or Wayne Gretzky or Dino Ciccarelli.

• neumann103 says:

Clever, Norm. I see what you did there:
        “To be inducted as a player, he would have had to have a great career as a hockey player, a giant, like Jean Béliveau or Wayne Gretzky or Dino Ciccarelli.

I agree on all counts. While Henderson’s role in the 72 Summit Series his overall career is a far less compelling resume for inclusion in the Hall. For the people who contrast that there are Russian players from that series in the Hall, they are also there for the accomplishments of their entire careers, and to give some balance so it is not just the NHL Hall of Fame.

I don’t think Henderson’s overall career earned him a place in the Hall, but then again you could invoke what I refer to as The Dino Ciccarelli Rule inadvertently created by that Enshrinement. In practice that rule goes like this.

Hockey Fan #1: “Player X belongs in the Hall of Fame.”
        Hockey Fan #2: “While Player X undoubtedly was an excellent player and was highly productive over a long career he really does not rank among the all time greats. He was rarely if ever a true Elite player and often not even one of the best two or three players on his team.”
        Hockey Fan #1: “Dino Ciccarelli is in the Hall of Fame”
        Hockey Fan #2: “ummmmmmmm….never mind”

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good, glad you caught it, I was afraid I was being too subtle. That’s my stock in trade, subtlety.

You’re quite right. My HOF arguments now always go that way: “Mats Sundin (Pavel Bure, Wendel Clark, …) doesn’t belong in the HOF because blah blah blah….. but if Dino Ciccarelli is in, then I guess everyone should get in.”

Okay I am going to brag a bit. As Chuck mentioned this weekend is Canada’s largest Ribfest in Burlington. So my neighbor who is a culinary chef organized a neighborhood Ribfest. I did a Caribbean/Jamaican jerk rib which I smoked with applewood and many other ingredients and I won! What great night I am stuffed ribs galore, but still no sight of NHL hockey that sucks way more.

Anyways Happy Labour Day weekend everyone.

14. JohnBellyful says:

I’ve heard more than once how today’s contributors to HIO are a sorry lot, who, according to the most recent comment posted in this vein (this afternoon),“couldn’t carry the hockey bags of the regular posters of the past … What HIO lacks now in quality posters makes up for it in quantity.”
    It was also noted: “But once in a while one of the greats make an appearence and remind us what made this site … so great.”
    These occasional broadsides directed at the current generation of posters have piqued my interest. Sad to say, the golden age of HIO punditry preceded my joining this fraternity in September 2010 and now I feel as if I have, in my own small way, contributed to its decline since then.
    So, exactly, when was HIO at its zenith? Before late September 2010, we know that much. How far back, then?
    So I Googled, using as a reference point, one of the greats cited earlier today: yeats.
    The search pulled up this date in Hab fan history: February 8, 2008
    Among the 97 posts that showed up on the screen was this:

Yeats
    February 8, 2008 at 11:05 pm

There are so many of the original crowd, really insightful people, who will no longer go near HIO with a stick and rubber gloves. Heck, I wonder why I even bother sometimes. You’re right, a lot of the horse-shit stuff gets really tired very quickly. Also, I have spent a fair portion of my life writing for a living. And, I can tell you that some of the text bricks that end up on HIO would never get by a decent editor. You want to inflict that stuff on the rest of us, please sell the movie rights, insert charts or start casting calls. If I want to read a f’n novel, I’ll buy one!

And this:

Yeats
    February 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm

If we were that smart, we’d be managing the team. We just comment on what we see on the ice. Your two eyes are no better or worse than mine. (Yours are probably better, but I can’t admit that, at least publically.) Even when I disagree with another poster, I hope I am never dismissive. It’s never, never personal. Sometimes, HIO turns into a bloody passion play. And, they wonder why some of the the original, insightful posters have bolted for other pastures?

So, HIO has been going downhill for more than four years! Whew, that’s a weight off my shoulders. Okay, so I haven’t helped the site any, maybe have even accelerated the rot with my musings, but I’m relieved. The bad stuff started long before my arrival.
    So the quest for the Golden Age continues. I know now The Wayback Machine must go further back than Feb. 8, 2008. I’m assuming more than a week earlier, unless HIO went to hell in a handbasket in a hurry, so I will set new parameters.
    I’ll report my findings at a later date.
    (It would help if the older members of the HIO fraternity, who still show up at the club for whiskey and soda, could point me to a particular time frame, say, October 2006 to February 2007.
    BTW, when did HIO go live? My government grant doesn’t provide for exhaustive research.)

I worry the demise began when you and I started posting John. Of course we know otherwise. ;-)

• JohnBellyful says:

I think it would be way off the mark for anyone to accuse us of contributing to the decline of HIO. Now if they were to say civilization, we’d have to hire lawyers.

• HabFab says:

Boone and Stubbs joined October 25, 2007. Don’t believe there were other posters until starting around November 7th if that gives you some guideline.
      All of those posters mentioned still show up and post occasionally. As for Yeats, while he is another story and is like the Shadow…only he knows :)
      There are some who don’t post anymore and we are poorer for it. There are also many new posters that enrich the site in their stead so the world keeps spinning along.

EDIT; JB, the first version of HIO started November 24, 2006.

• Ron says:

I believe the Oct 2007 date was when the format changed putting new join dates in place. I might be wrong as I said below but I believe that was the situation. HF thats a nice polite way to describe Yeats. He’s a great guy if you know him on HIO and knows his stuff.

• HabFab says:

I noticed you said hi the other night when he was here. Believe if you go back and check the posts, you will notice that we were exchanging comments.

• Ron says:

And you should continue HF. I did notice your exchange and Yeats welcomes them all I am sure. I went back after I read JB’s comment and found the particular post he made comment on and I believe Saskfan was a little over the top with his remarks. Altough there are a few posters who have removed to other venues or lifes work does not mean there are not good informed posters here now. As long as HIO continues to stay afloat there will be many more who come and go as well. Its was a great site then and just as great now, just different sigs.

• HabFab says:

LOL! He probably doesn’t welcome them all, as we have sparred on occasion. As for Saskhabfan, he is taking a sabbatical and heading down under for a year. No NHL and now no hockey at all ;) would make me a grumpy boy, let alone others!

• Ron says:

I can’t give you an exact date JB, but I remember that in Nov 2007 anyone on HIO at the time had to register again because of the new format the Gazette brought into place. I was on site the previous year if I remember right although my age is playing tricks on me haha.If Robert L happens to pop on site he can give you a much better time frame. Yeats was around then as well. Not sure if Ian can give you a better date cause he came along after I did. Stubbs might bealbe to give you an exact date if you e-mail him.

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks for the info, guys.
      Now would anyone care to take a stab at giving dates for HIO’s Age of Enlightenment?

• HabFab says:

Sometime after September 2010.

• JohnBellyful says:

That date sounds familiar.
          Gawd, it’s not the wife’s birthday, is it? Could you give me a specific date (the stores are open tomorrow, right?)
          I really should mark this stuff down.

• HabFab says:

September 25, 2010 to March 3, 2011, when they dropped again. The causes are still under research.

Did you catch my EDIT above?

• JohnBellyful says:

Yep, caught the edit. Thanks.
            Also the research angle.
            Aw, you just ruined the poor guy’s night with that slight.
            Or were you just ribbing him?

• HabFab says:

Me thinks he has gone to bed so “sigh”, it was wasted ;)

• Ron says:

By age of enlightment what do you mean ?

• JohnBellyful says:

I am led to believe that at a time far removed from the present, during an Age of Enlightenment, HIO members traded superior insights and engaged in far more compelling intellectual exchanges than has been the case in recent history. In terms of commentary, it’s like comparing late ’70s hockey (early HIO) to mid-’70s hockey (current HIO).

• HabFab says:

JB – Man them good old days had along with those insightful posters, also had some real “battle royals”. The worst was the “Water Cannon Gunfight at the OK Corral”. They shut us down for a day or so to cool off after that one and that thread was forever locked away. Yeah, the good old days.

• Ron says:

I think you are reading far too much into one posters insight in what was then and what is now JB. Maybe if you direct your question directly to the party you can get his views as to why he posted that dribble. I have not seen anymore such claims on site by others to think some sort of an attack has been issued on you or others here. Just one persons poor way of trolling.

15. punkster says:

Afternoon of golf followed by an evening feast of fresh picked corn …that’s what Labour Day weekends are all about baby!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

16. commandant says:

While I don’t normally think that 1 week of great play, or 1 series should be enough to put what otherwise was a pretty average career into the HHOF, in the case of Paul Henderson I think you should do it.

His goals are so significant, not just from a hockey perspective but that series meant a lot from an international relations prospective. On top of that, its not just 1 goal, but 3 straight game winners after Canada was down 3-1-1 in the series.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chuck says:

Pretty hard to argue Henderson’s worthiness to the Hall of Fame, considering that no one has scored a more famous goal for Canada.

___________________________________________________

17. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Question: would a shortened season spell good fortune for The Habs?

less games played would mean that they would not be burned out down the stretch. I could see them getting off to a good start for around 30 games like the Wild did last year. Now what if the season is shortened to around 40 games……………….

• Habfan10912 says:

New coach. New system. More then likely these are things that bring a slower then hoped for start. A shortened season would not be an advantage unless the schedule somehow gets unbalanced with less games against the good teams.

———————————–

I know I won’t miss NHL if there is a lockout, but sadly, like many others, I will be very quick to renew my subscription to RDS HD channel once NHL is back in business. Face it, they got us. There is no way fans can win this.

19. HabFab says:

As Mad as Hell…a Fans plea for No Lockout…Together We Can

20. showey47 says:

Is there a better way to celebrate having a safe ldl cholesterol level then going to ribfest?

21. Pretty cool video. Got me pumped up for hockey, really wish both sides could settle for an agreement quickly and avoid a lockout.

22. Habfan10912 says:

Cammi and Angela James were builders of womens hockey and imho deserving of their Hall of Fame induction. I agree with you that Paul Henderson should also be there as no goal was more important to the free world then his goal in 1972.
    Edit: Sorry this was meant as a reply to Thomaslefan below.
    ———————————–

23. Thomas Le Fan says:

How do you spell travesty? Cammy Granato is in the Hockey Hall of Fame and Paul Henderson is not.

24. jeffhabfan says:

HI Ian donot give up HIO you are a great guy and we will help you get by without Mike. Also a great writer in Red Fisher has moved on so there will a new look at the gazette this fall.

25. commandant says:

How I’d line up the defence.

Gorges – Subban
    Markov – Emelin
    Kaberle – Bouillion
    Spares: Diaz
    St. Denis

Traded: Weber for a goalie prospect or draft pick, or as a throw in, in a package of a bigger deal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

I think you have it right Ben but I’m wondering if Weber will be given training camp to beat out Diaz. They both are similar players aren’t they?

———————————–

• ed lopaz says:

I disagree on weber and disagree on your suggestion to move eller to the wing down below – if we picked up a 3rd line center like dominic moore.

weber can develop into a fine defenceman and eller can develop into a terrific center.

I also disagree on your very premature assessment that louis leblanc is not a strong enough skater to play center at the nhl level.

but that’s what makes hockey interesting.

different opinions.

• frontenac1 says:

Looks like that’s what we are going to see Commandant. I would put Cube with Markov to watch his back. Guys know he has a bum knee . Still with that line up on D I am not optimistic that Carey won’t get regularly mugged again in his own paint.

• frontenac1 says:

Yup, looks like that’s what it will be Commandant. I would still pair Cube with Markov to watch his back. The league knows he has a wonky knee. Looking at that line up I am not optimistic that the mugging and clusterf*#ks in Carrey”s paint will be stopped this year.

26. HabFab says:

So the NHL wants the moon!
    BUT the NHLPA already have it!
    And the fans get jack squat!
    Have I missed anything?

27. HabsRepresente says:

I am very adamant about Montreal offering a contract to LW free agent Huselius, could be a one year contract but if he stays healthy could score 60+ points and would look good on a line with Pleks and Gio

- Follow me on Twitter @JaggerHope91 ! https://twitter.com/JaggerHope91

• HabFab says:

He has still not been able to resume skating from his injuries last season…doesn’t sound like a good risk right now.

• commandant says:

Yeah whats the point in giving him a deal if he can’t play either.

Another good FA out there is Dominic Moore who would take the third line and allow Eller to play LW with Plekanec. However Moore doesn’t seem like he will be playing either, due to family issues (wife has cancer and he wants to stay home with her as of last we heard).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

28. HabFab says:

Hudon was injured in an exhibition game Friday night (lower body,sounds like knee). Had x-rays this morning. Not yet known how bad or long he will be out.

29. HabFab says:

Sweden wins, Collberg scores again in OT.

Habsfuture Sweden beat Finland 2-1. Sebastian Collberg scored overtime goal, his fourth of tournament #4Nations

• Boomer says:

it’s cool to see Nystrom made the squad :)
      thanks for the post HF

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

30. awesomerino says:

I would gladly sacrifice the entire NHL season if it meant never reading another story about the Summit Series ever again. Without question, the most over exhausted story in hockey history. Basta.

Good morning, all of a sudden it hits me this morning!. What am I going to do with my time? No more hockey for a while!, no more Mike Boone!.
    I feel a little empty. Could it be the beginning of the end of HIO? Not a good feeling for sure.!

• showey47 says:

I have my lockout plans figured out.

Maybe catch some ohl or ahl on the side.

• habstrinifan says:

You have lots to do Ian to get that Tobago rendezvous off the ground. Get to it Man! While you are at it can you find out the wereabouts of one Emeralda…. long story!

• mrhabby says:

Life does not stop. Go for a nice walk, fishing, swim etc,etc….weather still nice and hockey issues should be the last thing we should all care about.

That being said…once players start missing there cheques you might see movement until then the weather is great.

• saskhabfan says:

I wouldn’t worry about the end of HIO. Though the regular posters of today couldn’t carry the hockey bags of the regular posters of the past like yourself,yeats,showey,tommyb,robertL…..etc. What HIO lacks now in quality posters makes up for it in quantity.

Kind of reminds me of rock music now compared to that of the 80′s and some of the 90′s. The HIO regulars of years ago were the best just like the rock stars of years ago. The regulars now,for the most part,is like local rock stations who mostly play new music. Lots of repeating (tanking etc..)and useless filler( 5 paragraph posts with only 2 sentences of useful info). But once in a while one of the greats make an appearence and remind us what made this site (and rock music) so great.

32. habs-fan-84 says:

An NHL lockout vid which made its way to the youtube home page.

33. habstrinifan says:

Interesting discussion at EOTP on the HABS defensive corps.

It is tough reading at various points but if you stick with it you get some new insights into the abilities of the defense.

Kaberle comes off much better on closer investigation than the majority here (including me) would have thought .. and even after reading it I am still unconvinced as to his worth. But I am more open minded.

Diaz is only briefly mentioned but is spoken of more glowingly than Weber. Weber’s play is analysed in great details and in the end he comes off as probably the most likely among returning rearguards to lose his position.

Eye-opening is the fact that Gorges carries so little ‘value-added’ consideration when the discussion turns to which defensemen helps augment the value of the other defenceman in his pairing.

If you read the article how would you answer the following question?

Based on last years performance which of Diaz, Weber, St. Dennis should be ranked higher as a pairing partner You can pick one or choose ‘OTHER’ and insert a rookie.

Give it some thought and based on your answer to the question above, pair the following defensemen Markov, Subban, Gorges, Bouillion, Kaberle…. and choice above to give the HABS the best versatility and reliability on defense.

Thanks for playing.

Edit:::: I forgot Emelin…. you work it out!

• 24 Cups says:

You forgot Emelin as a top six Dman.

EOTP can play voodoo all they want with stats but the naked eye tells everyone that Gomez and Kaberle have major liabilities/deficiencies in their games and need to be replaced. They are just over priced place holders right now.

• habstrinifan says:

OOOps .. in that one sentence you blew up my entire scenario.

Back to the drawing board LOL! Confusion reigns!

But maybe it adds a more urgent question. Is the HABS defense too crowded to get the best from the players… meaning should one of MB’s priority and mark of success as a smart GM be to ‘move someone along’, ASAP.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! I know management thinks Diaz has potential but based on last years performance ,I would pick St.Denis for sure. Pairings; Markov-Cube , Subban-Georges, Emelin-St.Denis/Kaberle
      Plus one Big Nasty Crease Clearing D

• mrhabby says:

The only thing I can say about weber, St.Dennis and Diaz is they suck..

• jmsheehy19 says:

I have never understood the hate on everyone has for Kaberle. He is exactly what he was advertised as.

A puck moving Dman who can put up points (.5 a game, which is great for a Dman) but needs a solid partner to pick up for his d game. But that said, he’s not the absolute catastrophe in his own end many make him out to be. Limit his minutes and he’d be more effective. Hell, put him with Gorges and he’s likely a plus player.

He’s overpaid, but again, not nearly to the degree it’s made out to be. 3.5-4 would be more in the ball park.

And before everyone attacks me as blind, idiotic, or that HIO favorite – delusional, I was against the trade when it happened and still feel we’d be better without him, as we have a number of PMD and he’s forcing us to play Emelin on his off side where he looked lost much of last season, rather than on the left where he and Diaz made a very serviceable 3rd pairing the short time they were together.

By the way Trin, this was a statement against the Kaberle hate, not you. Now as to your question.

I think St. Denis > Diaz > Weber, but in terms of potential I’d have that completely reversed.

St Denis had 3 points and was a plus 3 in 17 games last year. That would (if he kept up the pace) turn into a 10-15 point and +10 to +15 season. You can’t ask much more of a bottom guy than that.

My dream lineup would have been

Gorges – Subban
      Markov- ?
      Emelin – St Denis/Diaz

with one of Ellis, Tinordi, Beaulieu, or Pateryn stepping up and taking that 4 spot.

34. Un Canadien errant says:

***Book Review***

“Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge” is the autobiography of Bob Probert, a fast and eye-opening read, but possibly a disappointing one. Mr. Probert and his co-author, Kirstie McLellan Day, delve pretty thoroughly into his life, his career and his struggles with his addictions, and the material is brutally honest, and certainly not a puff piece or hagiography. The man knew he wasn’t a hero and had no false impressions about his character or reputation or role in hockey, and doesn’t try to gloss over his many failings. As hockey players tend to do, he’s also relatively modest about his accomplishments, often affecting a Gretzky-like ‘aw shucks’ demeanor when he is in a position to brag.

The circumstances surrounding the book are tragic, and may provide insight into its great failings. While it was mostly complete, in that Mr. Probert had provided the material to recount his entire life story, he passed away before it was ready to be turned over to the publisher. To this reader, this may explain why while the material is exhaustive, it tends to be shallow, uncritical or reflective, and devoid of insight. The impression we get is that the author had finished tape recording his story, either spontaneously or during interviews with the co-author, but never had to opportunity to review the material. More importantly, the co-author never has a chance to delve deeper into some areas. Her subject has a frustrating tendency to rely on truisms and meaningless turns of phrase such as “It is what it is” and other such uninformative patter. We get the sense that some tough questions needed to be asked in some sections, to probe further and break through the superficial, and that Mr. Probert would have been forthright and informative. That this didn’t happen is a loss for the reader.

I was also tempted to blame the co-author for this, thinking that she may have been out of her element, that she might have been awed by the subject, or that she was more of a typist than anything, just getting Mr. Probert to regurgitate the dates and events of his life and limiting her role to lining up his words into a rough first draft that was never put through a re-write or strenuous editing. I do know that she has worked on other books with Theoren Fleury and Ron MacLean, so I’ll reserve judgment until I pick up one of these.

Nevertheless, the book is entertaining, and helps the hockey fan who watched Mr. Probert’s career to relive those days and flesh out some tenuous memories. It is easy to forget how important his presence on a team could be, in that when healthy, he was probably the toughest, most feared pugilist in the game, yet was talented enough to play a regular shift on the Wings’ second line. He was easily capable of scoring 20 goals, hitting a high of 29 in 87-88, and racking up seasons of 20 and 19 on other occasions. Again, if injuries and suspensions hadn’t regularly interrupted his career, he might have tallied many more such seasons.

The most enjoyable parts for this reader were his descriptions of his relationships with teammates and management, as well as league officials. Especially interesting are his opinions on coach Jacques Demers, owner Mike Illitch, team captain Steve Yzerman and teammate and close friend Sheldon Kennedy, himself a troubled player who fought addiction and great trauma in his life. The juiciest parts are his descriptions of how he bamboozled hapless Colin Campbell, the Wings team official who was in charge of ensuring that he didn’t partake of any drugs or alcohol and relapse and fall prey to league suspension again. How easily Mr. Campbell was fooled again and again provides great insight into this very flawed man who somehow held a position of Senior Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations wi the NHL, and continues as Director of Hockey Ops to this day.

So while this book is not highly recommended, the average hockey fan will enjoy blasting through it on a rainy weekend. It is well worth your while obtaining it at your public library.

———————————————————————–
    This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for your review UCE. I can’t see myself reading this book and your review makes me less interested. I must admit though it is of a genre that I dont like reading because, as you say, ” the material is exhaustive, it tends to be shallow, uncritical or reflective, and devoid of insight” and also I find it a little hypocritical from a life lived on an even unexhaustive plane to ask the “tough questions” of athletes.

Your paragraph on his success stood out and is the first and lasting impression I have of Probert. His importance to his team and how he elevated all the strengthful qualities in his person when the battle started.

Probert and others like Nilan, were soldiers, bored and distracted by the march or fosse-building but who somehow seemed most comfortable in the pure fury of the battle. If the book had managed to surreptitiously reveal the depths of that mentality, I would run to read it.

“It is easy to forget how important his presence on a team could be, in that when healthy, he was probably the toughest, most feared pugilist in the game, yet was talented enough to play a regular shift on the Wings’ second line.”

On the contrary, it is what I remember first and foremost. Maybe a shallow selfish consideration for him as a person but that way, my admiration is unquestioning and I am less disturbed as to my own deceits as a fan.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Great review, pretty much sums up the book perfectly, I thought that it painted a pretty accurate portrait of Probert the individual, and was informative. However it seemed like something was missing and there were some holes in the plot. I think that Mrs. Day was not used to working with a subject who was no longer with us.

A much better book is PLAYING WITH FIRE by Theo Fleury, a harrowing, provocative, deep exploration of the dark side of Hockey and the human character. There are zero holes and absaloutly no shallowness in Fleury’s book. Like Probert, Fleury recounted his story with jaw-dropping candor. I would defiantly recommend it.

Habs Fans be warned: the 1989 Stanley Cup final is covered in excruciating detail and may want to be skipped (I skipped it). Fleury also did not seem to be enamored towards Roman Hamrlik….

You people are all really old :)

36. JohnBellyful says:

And now for something completely different:
    The 11th might be, how did Bettman get his job?

37. Boomer says:

That Pic sums up my hometown to a T
    A die hard passion for hockey… and the peelers…
    I love it

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
    Hobo with a laptop

38. kempie says:

Gotta love Montreal:

P.K. Subban ‏@PKSubban1
    Out for a walk on a beautiful day in MTL , Always good bumping into some die hard fans! #bestfansintheworld #greatcity

• Boomer says:

gotta love hockey players posing with kids infront of strip clubs… only in Mtl…

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

• kempie says:

He said he was “shopping”.

josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
        @PKSubban1 haha maybe next time u take pictures with your fans you stand in front of a different doorway!!

• habstrinifan says:

I’ll say it first!

One more reason why P.K. needs to change his ways. Taking a picture with two young kids in front of an establishment displaying scantily clad women.

Oh wait Boomer caught it first!

On a side note: A bonanza of free advertising for the club. WOW!

39. Mr. Biter says:

Sitting in the women’s dorm lounge (U of Wpg.), watching thhe game on a 12 inch b/w T.V.
    Go Canada Go

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

40. JohnBellyful says:

Can you spot the bogus headline among these that will appear in the weeks to follow?

NHL, NHLPA go AWOL over CBA
    Fossil discovery suggests man – not woman – descended from giant sloths
    Two wounded in scuffle between Bettman, Fehr armed escorts
    Curiosity unmars evidence of ancient civilization
    NHL zebras sign on as NFL replacement refs
    McGinty’s Grade 1 teacher decks premier
    Glacial pace of contract talks refutes climate change theory
    Romney admits birthplace was family cottage in Canada
    Players’ street busking hit with crowds
    Marathon talks over weekend yield Middle East peace pact
    Mormons outraged – Romney love-child being raised a Buddhist
    Laraque intervention fails to produce agreement
    Studies show snoring sure sign of infidelity
    Clip of Bettman body waxing surfaces on YouTube
    Cancer cure ‘just the beginning,’ say ecstatic researchers
    Players’ panhandling annoys pedestrians
    Under pressure, Romney releases tax returns that show he owns Cayman Islands
    NHL approves sale of Coyotes to state-owned company in China
    Three out of four dentists have bad breath
    NHL calls players’ offer of 50% pay cut ‘intriguing’
    Harper declares martial law ‘because I can’
    ‘Take that, you %#&^$^# teabaggers!’ Obama shouts after shocking landslide win
    Handshake saves 2012-13 season

• habstrinifan says:

NHL approves sale of Coyotes to state-owned company in China.

If Bettman has so far avoided any chance of the Coyotes relocating to Canada he would never risk his beloved franchise being uprooted and moved to China. Now if investors from China want to build a new arena in Phoenix’s chinatown that’s a different story.

• JohnBellyful says:

Sorry for the confusion, Trini. I’ve spoken to the headliner. Well, headline writer.
        The story makes it clear the sale is to a Chinese state-owned company that has no intention of relocating the Coyotes but does plan to change the name of the team to the Phoenix Pandas.

41. JohnBellyful says:

My memories of the ‘72 series are a roller coaster ride of emotions, despair being among them, which made the thrill of ultimate victory all that more intense. Especially when it was a shared experience in a crowded student residence lounge with a bunch of other hockey-mad university students.
    Imagine if cellphones and YouTube had been around then, we’d get to relive the sheer joy of innumerable celebrations across Canada that day whenever we needed a pick-me-up.
    [Would it be churlish of me to bring up Clarke’s slash that knocked out Kharlamov? Any reminiscence of that series isn’t complete without reference to that infamous incident. It is a blemish. It’s vicious acts of that kind that no one wants to see happen in the NHL, and while I can’t recall what my feeling was at that time, I hope I had the decency to be ashamed. Because that’s certainly how I feel now.
    Not enough, however, to obliterate the exhilaration the series’ win still evokes. I only wish the slash had never happened. Or if it was meant to be, that the victim had been Eagleson.]

From other people’s memory banks:

• habstrinifan says:

Alan Eagleson wasnt the biggest blemish!

Edit:::: I meant to say he WAS the biggest blemish. I dont go back and relive that series, principally because of Eagelson’s behaviour. The players were in the ‘heat of battle’ but he was just a boorish a-hole as bad as any of the Russian counterparts.

42. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Hey UCE, are you in the house???

I was just wondering what the titles of those books you mentioned a few months back were??

They seemed really good, but I forgot the titles

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s pretty vague. Sports books? I can’t remember mentioning any others, so I figure it must be. Some of my favourites:

Hockey you have to read “The Game” by Ken Dryden, of course. Not quite as good but still a great read for Canadiens fans is “Robinson for the defence” by Larry Robinson. One I have lined up on the list and will get to soon is “The Making of Slap Shot” by Jonathon Jackson, I have high hopes for that one.

Even if you’re not really into baseball, you have to read “Ball Four” by Jim Bouton. It was the first book on sports that was honest about what actually goes on in pro sports, how the players aren’t all saints who all get along and win one for Little Jimmy. He talks about the drinking and gambling and whoring that goes on, the way players swear instead of being clean-cut choirboys, how they fight with each other and cheat on their wives on road trips. It is absolutely hilarious. It also does a great job of explaining the team dynamics, what role players assume on a team, etc. I’ll be re-reading it soon, I haven’t done so in a decade so it should be good fun.

I went into a climbing books phase a few years back. You have to read “Into Thin Air” by Jon Krakauer, and the ‘rebuttal’ by Anatoli Boukreev “The Climb”. Fascinating look at the 1996 Everest tragedy. “Touching the Void” by Joe Simpson is harrowing, you won’t be able to put it down. They made a really good movie about it to, faithful to the original.

Arctic exploration was another subject that fascinated me, in that I wanted to read about it, but would never want to even try what those crazy bastards were attempting to do. “The Last Place on Earth” by Roland Huntford is a really good account of the race to the South Pole between Robert Scott and Roald Amundsen, with great analysis by the historian author of the different personalities and approaches of these two men. Another book that is just classic is “The Worst Journey in the World”, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard, a member of Scott’s expedition. He didn’t get to race to the pole, but went on a ‘scientific’ sidetrip during the Antarctic winter, when the sun never comes up and the temperature drops to -70. It’s an awesome book in that the author is really wry, in that ‘stiff upper lip’ English gentleman way. Anything on the Shackleton expedition is mind-blowing, I forget which one I prefer, there are a lot of books on this epic misadventure, take your pick.

———————————————————————–

43. zip by says:

Fans east of Toronto might like to know that the Dogs are playing an exhibition game vs the Marlies in Coburg Oct 6

Tix 25 bucks – only available at the Coburg community centre starting this Tuesday. Details can be found on the Marlies site (but not the Dogs – go figure)

Could be a great opportunity to check out some of our top draft picks.

• frontenac1 says:

Sounds good ! I might just go down for that one. I hope they let me in.About 5 years ago I was coaching a North Frontenac midget team down there at their Christmas Tourney when all hell broke loose on the ice. A few of our lads continued the scrap up into the stands. Four OPP cruisers later we disqualified. Merry Christmas eh? I might have to go incognito.

• frontenac1 says:

Edit last post. Just remembered that fiasco was in Port Hope not Cobourg.I think I’m good to go! Hola!

• knucklesnilan says:

I used to coach North Frontenac juvenile teams, we had some brawls there too, and in Brighton, Tweed, Marmora, Deseronto, lol. Loved coaching those guys, we actually were pretty good team too not just fighters.

Go Habs Go !!

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigo! That’s so cool! Picadilly Arena. Yeah those are great kids up there.I used to kill myself laughing at their stunts and pranks , especially during Deer Hunting Season.

• neumann103 says:

I don’t know what constitutes North Frontenac but I do recall playing these feral farm children from Storrington Township which was somewhere in the no mans land outside Kingston.

This was the mid 1970s and they wore the powder blue with navy colours of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The first time we played them I was 7 or 8 years old and playing a relatively uncommon stint on Right wing. Off the face off the opposing winger immediately spears me. It is not an aberration as the entire game goes like this. Mind you this is a Novice game in a very non-competitive league and usually penalties are handed out for tripping or hooking the puck carrier, not full on two handers away from the play.

Good times.

“Et le but!”

• habstrinifan says:

Great …thanks for the heads-up!

44. HabFab says:

Collberg is back from his injury and along with Nystrom is playing for the Swedish U20 team in the 4 Nations U20 tournament;

Habsfuture RT @Sz1909_Szemberg: #Habs prospect Sebastian Collberg nets two as Sweden’s U20 teams romps Czechs 10-2. Collberg has 3 goals in two games. Nystrom has 1 assist.

45. HabFab says:

PK was walking down the street in Montreal this afternoon and runs into a couple of young fans who want a photo. Well, the background wasn’t considered and he is taking a ribbing on twitter :)

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…remember like yesterday reading Red reporting how pathetic the Russians looked (‘worn-out skates made of paper’, if I remember right)
    …then the emotional roller-coaster ride following the 7-3 drubbing in the Forum
    …was a new store architectural planner in Zeller’s head office on Decarie at the time …during game time, absolutely no work got done …the building, its top 7th floor was a storeroom where I, president, most executives including Mr. Zeller’s son, mail-boys and clerks, watched like kids a tiny rabbit-eared antenna-ed b&w tv
    …I still feel the emotion and adrenaline rush to this day
    …and the inexorable sigh of relief and satisfaction when Henderson scored the final goal
    …no hockey experience ever came close, before or after, like that series for this longtime Habs Fan
    …funny though, with Boston an even greater nemesis and blood rival to Our Habs than they are today, Phil Esposito gave the greatest exhibition of passion and leadership of ANY hockey player in My lifetime
    …hated him in a Bs sweater, but I thought He was superman in a Team Canada sweater :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

47. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

OK, this just occurred to me: if the team is in a hole next season (assuming that there will be a season), and looks to be in for another bottom-five finish, I recommend this: MB sits down with Pleks and Gionta and asks them if they want to continue as a member of the Montreal Canadiens through a transition period, or win a Stanley cup that year. If they answer affirmative to the latter, then they would both be traded for first round picks in as dignified a manner as possible. Anyone who has been here a while knows the tremendous respect that I have for Brian Gionta, the man is a true warrior and a very underrated player, but he does not deserve to be in a sinkhole situation in what could be last good years of his career. Same goes for Pleks.

but the bright side…..
    That would leave us with Three (3) first round picks in 2013! assuming we finish in the bottom 5 we could use our picks on Sasha Barkov (BIG talented center) Adam Erne (tough, skilled power forward) and Bo Horvat (brutish energy winger)

It would take some time to develop these guys, plus our 2012 draft class, but here is what the Canadiens lineup would look like in 2016

Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Erne
    Collberg – Barkov – Gallagher
    Eller – Bournival – Leblanc
    White – Vail – Horvat

Subban – Beaulieu
    Tinordi – Thrower
    Ellis – Georges/Emelin

Price
    Any backup goalie

assuming things go well, can you say…… POWERHOUSE!

48. frontenac1 says:

Whoa! Rory shoots-6 today to take the lead at -12. I’m starting to really like this kid. Cdn Hearn hanging in at -6

49. piper says:

Can someone please tell me how to put a picture up beside the posts?

50. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

gentlemen, it appears that one of our prospects, one Brady Vail, has seen an increase in stock.

Does anyone here have an opinion on his ceiling/projection/upside??

51. New says:

I remember where I was when Henderson scored the goal(s).
    I was listening to Cournyer and Esposito do the work. There were two classy players.

52. Xkhann says:

Anybody catch one of our 2012 draft pick Brady Vail notch 2goals and 3 assists versus the Spits yesterday? He was everywhere on the ice, and can snipe it!

If no hockey is announced,! then all HIO members are invited to either Belize or Tobago for an after January SUMMIT.
    We will have room for 100 members for two months at half price rates. All inclusive including drinks and 9 holes of golf each day! and dancing in the evening to live band. Stay tuned!

54. JUST ME says:

Every time we talk about that serie i think about one thing that cannot be explained. Even the young sportscasters cannot relate and cannot explain properly.

Of course today we have the classics,we came here to learn and heard on how the students would listen to the games in class but still the feeling is missing.

1972 was another era. Not sayiing that we were kept innocent but back then technology was not available no cable tv,only 4 channels to listen to ,no computers…We barely knew anything coming from outside our frontiers. Yes we did have the 1967 Montreal world fair 5 years before but still things had not changed. All we knew about russians was they had Siberia where they would send prisoners under a minus gazillion degrees temperature,we heard about the damn communists and the only images we had from them were war time pictures. In a way, russians were not humans like us.

There were no russians in the NHL ,for that matter only canadians and americans.

So what`s missing in all those souvenirs and celebrations is trying to explain the feeling in the air from one ocean to the other. Fear,pride and unknown. Difficult to explain cause it will never happen again .

After that summit gradually the doors to the NHL opened and hockey would never be the same and the whole planet changed. Part of the evolution i guess but that summit can be compared to a link in our evolution and also reminds me that…i am not getting any younger..

• HabFab says:

True dat mon ami!

• New says:

Yeah but guys on that team had played the Russians before when TC was just university players. Dryden knew them.

Arrogance was what made that series memorable at the start. Probably if it had been played at the All Star time the series would have been a footnote in history. But because the Russians arrived in shape and as a team they caught the vacationing NHL players without the stamina to go. What was supposed to be an exhibition and a few beers before camp got serious quick. Phil Esposito said it best when he told fans they were trying. They were.

And that defined the Canadian game more than any other factor. Caught unprepared they tried harder than a better prepared opponent. They gutted it out, getting stronger each game, gaining momentum, refusing to quit, and overcoming. Frank and Pete Mahovolich, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe, and Cournoyer all played.

I don’t think Serge lost any of the five games he played and http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/game00.htm reports that as well. There was a player, like Cournoyer and Dryden, whose teams won when the chips were down.

Good guys to have around.

Jeff Parhurst! aka (jeff hab fan)
    So you did not get your picture up yet. Someone on here will walk you through it again my friend. Just ask again!

56. MiltonHab says:

Was at game 1 at the Forum, what a night! Overconfidence…an understatement! up 2-0 before the first 5 minutes…this was going to be a cakewalk. Sitting in the upper deck at the northend of the buiding you could start to see the Russians passing develop. 2 on 1′s, 3 on 2′s, oh oh… and then came the Team Canada’s frustration mount, dumb penalty after dumb pentaly and finally it was over. I recall walking out onto Ste. Catherine street and the eerie quiet of 18,000+ was incredible. An 8 game series that will never be forgotten

57. on2ndthought says:

Watched the game in the corridor of a rural french school where most of the teachers were separatists and cheering for the Russians. My friends may have liked their teachers’ politics, but not their hockey loyalties. A great day to be kid in Canada!

Three hills apart great armies stir
    Spit oath and curse as day breaks
    Forming lines of horse and steel
    By even yards march forward.

• Nitroslices says:

Wow…separatists cheering for the Russians while Yvon Cournyer (and Esposito) were doing the work giving Henderson the puck to give Canada the victory. Three players with different ethnic backgrounds united for one common goal.

• frontenac1 says:

Separatist Bast**ds!

• SmartDog says:

My son grew up in a French community with me (and my family who live in another province) the only English part of his life. As a result even by school age he understood English but didn’t speak it. Meanwhile I spoke only a little French, phrases mostly. So in grade 1 I decided to immerse him for 2 weeks in English in March – one week being his regular break, the second a week off for the kids where we were visiting. When I met with his teacher out of courtesy to let her know and to ask if there was work he needed to do while away, I was shocked. After I explained the importance of this trip for our relationship as well as his general growth she said “why does he need to learn English?”. She said this of course through a translator because she didn’t speak any English and as I said my French is not strong. I was not just shocked, I was repulsed. The cool-aid they drink in some parts of this province is laced with backward ideas and disturbing biases. The end result of which is to control those without the vision to see beyond their town walls. And there’re a lot of them.

And btw, my strategy worked, 2 weeks of immersion and encouragement is all it took to get his English going and within a year he was essentially bilingual. He’s working on Spanish now. And my French while still bad has improved too. I’m sure his grade 1 teacher is still 100% uni-lingual and just as ignorant as before.
        ————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

58. frontenac1 says:

1972…Fist year at Dawson College. Pretty wrecked most of the time. It was a great series….(I think.)

59. habsfan0 says:

Lots to reminisce and ponder about this Labour Day weekend.

73 years ago today,Germany invaded Poland,precipitating the onset of World War 2.

40 years ago today,37 innocent people lost their lives in the Blue Bird Cafe fire.

Tomorrow,September 2,marks the 40th anniversary of the 7-3 shellacking Canada absorbed at the hands of the Soviets in Game 1 of the Summit Series at the Forum, which left our nation somewhat in shock.

And,of course,there’s the small matter of the Quebec election Tuesday,whose results might initiate another prolonged period of political uncertainty in our country.

Last,but not least,11 days from now,NHL training camps are slated to get underway for several teams,an endeavour which unfortunately,looks to be a very short lived one(3 days)?

Oh well…back to my beer…

Happy Labour Day,everybody!

60. accp says:

Listen to the sports channel this morning. Don’t expect any NHL hockey till late November/December. The shutdown is suppose to start 15th September according to Butt-man. The players are not going to give in this time and neither is Mr. Fehr … Oh well. MLB playoffs is coming up and lots of NFL to watch as well as the CFL and Basketball who cares.
    So if you only like the NHL you could be bored for awhile.

61. Habfan10912 says:

I skipped school that day with parental permission and watched the game at home. My Mother said my scream could be headed throughout Jefferson County. I think it was that day I adobpted your great country as my second home.

———————————–

62. Old Bald Bird says:

I was teaching and followed the game as best I could between periods. At day’s end, I got to the staffroom in time to see Cournoyer’s goal and then Henderson’s. Just before that one of the other teachers had mentioned that the Russians were looking tired and bent over their sticks a bit. Maybe he was right.

I was away yesterday and missed this Mike Boone’s last day! So I put this here.

Mr. Mike Boone,
    You have no idea what you have done for me over the past 8 years.
    I started out years ago trying to gain a somewhat decent vocabulary by listening to Danny Gallivan, Harvey Kirk and Lloyd Robertson. Being dyslectic and never being able to read and write my whole life. I sure did not want to be found out illiterate, so I needed a better vocabulary to cover.

After Andree (my girl friend) purchased my first computer at age 60, I stumbled across your pictures and words on HIO 8 years ago now.

I had a profound love of hockey and our Hab’s all my life, so when I saw pictures of our Hab’s on HIO, I tried very had to read your words with the help of Andree. It took everyday for hours, trying to pronounce and somewhat understand what each of your string of words put into sentence form meant.

I knew when Andree would read your sentences to me, that you had a great passion for my game, and you motivated me to keep working at reading them.

I will never forget the thrill for me hitting the comment button on HIO with my very first written words of my life. I read your stories and posted everyday. I am sure some did not make much sense, but many HIO members helped me daily with spelling and how to work on a computer without feeling to embarrassed.

Your words were put together each day, in a way that I could extract the information at my level of comprehension. Every time you used a new word, I would grab my Webster, and then I would try to use it in my next post on HIO. Often it did not fit and I was corrected by members.

I do owe you Mr. Boone, for this wonderful gift that you have given me of being able to communicate with out my shyness being vivid.
    You are one hell of a writer that can with words paint the most wonderful pictures for your readers and I try to do the same. Gawd knows what kind of a picture people see when I post, but I have made many life time friends on here.

I am very pleased that you will be continuing with HIO Mike, as I am sure most of us are. You are a special man with a special gift. Thank you very kindly!
    Ian

64. commandant says:

Messier’s leadership was so great, he was captain of some of the highest payroll teams in the NHL for the last 7 years of his career and couldn’t make the playoffs once.

Yes he was great earlier in his career. But the ending is a stain on his record, and he is not the greatest captain of all time.

Compare his accomplishments to Beliveau, who led the underdog Habs to the Cup in 1971 at the age of 40, and you can see the difference.

Overall, Messier was a very good leader, but not this hands down greatest of all time crap that people spew about him all the time.

The Greatest Leader of all time would have been able to captain the highest payroll in hockey to at least a playoff appearance.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

High payroll does not necessarily mean good, as I recall the Rangers in the late 90′s and early 2000′s were a very weak team that was poorly assembled, lots of huge contracts to players who were either underachievers or way past their prime. Stephane Quintal singed to a contract worthy of a #1 D man when he was a 5th or 6th at best, Paval Bure at the downside of his career where you would be lucky to have him for 40 games, Theo Fleury was getting long in the tooth and was basically a basket case nightmare at that point , Brian Leetch was in steep decline at that time as well. You also had a VERY injury prone goalie, and Eric Lindros who was a dressing room toxin and a shadow of his former self. I agree with you that Messier’s leadership was a tad overrated, but that team was a nightmare.

• Lafleurguy says:

Ben, ignore is the best response, but can you be the one to point out Lindros was never on a cup winning team, Mike Richter was a Vezina winner near the time of the ’94 Cup, Brian Leetch was a Norris trophy winner around the same time, and had some following good seasons with the Leafs(!). Most of us understand your allusion to three wholly unsuccessful seasons in Vancouver. And thanks for mentioning M. Beliveau’s age when the underdog Habs won it all in ’71, one year after missing the playoffs for the first time in decades.

“May you live in interesting times.”

65. Un Canadien errant says:

I remember watching the games in school on black and white TV’s mounted on those tall racks so people at the back could see. I don’t remember watching Paul Henderson’s goal, and I must not have seen it, since we learned Canada had won as we were going down the stairs from one classroom to another. Soeur Liette burst into the stairwell and announced that we had won, and everyone cheering and throwing their schoolbags in the air and twirling their hats.

———————————————————————–

66. L Elle says:

I was in elementary school at the time. Imagine how great and crazy our country is, that we were all allowed to miss classes and watch the game with hundreds of kids in the gym. I remember it like it was yesterday, funny I don’t remember much else from that time.

All of Canada roared at the same time when Paul Henderson scored. With all the excitement, I missed my school bus home, and since who had money or cellphones “back in the day”, I had to walk home. Didn’t seem like a walk from Ville Saint-Laurent to Park Ex would take that long, would it?

Well nothing could beat the roar of all of Canada, except my grandmother’s roar who was crazed with worry when I showed up 3 hours late. Boy was I hungry and tired. :)

But it was all worth it – a part of history we were lucky to be part of.

67. Un Canadien errant says:

A copy of the email I sent RDS yesterday. Please add your voice to mine and pressure RDS into giving us Hamilton Bulldogs hockey this season, at least during the lockout.

Their email address is info@rds.ca

**********************************************

Bonjour RDS.

I’m a Shaw Cable subscriber in British Columbia as of Thursday September 6. When my service resumes, I won’t be subscribing to RDS as I have in years past, strictly due to the planned lockout of the NHL. Please provide this feedback to your partners in the NHL. I suspect I won’t be the only subscriber outside Québec you will lose because of this work stoppage.

One reason I would pay for RDS is if you would broadcast Hamilton Bulldogs games. I would love to see the next crop of Canadiens playing this season in the AHL. If you can see fit to plug the holes in your schedule by providing us with a couple games a week of Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu, I’ll gladly pay the extra for your programming.

———————————————————————–

Here is a list from nhl.com of what they think are 10 best captains all time. Not sure I can agree with much of this list. I do know that the fellow they have at #3 should be number 1. And how the heck does Shane Doan already making #10?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Possibly a lack of historical perspective from a younger writer, or one who is enjoined by NHL.com to keep his articles current for the newer generation and has to hype current stars/teams.

Maybe the Shane Doan mention sells a dozen tickets this season for the NHL as Mr. Jamison receives more extensions to scrounge up the cash?

———————————————————————–

• Boomer says:

I wonder if its the same idiots that ranked the best fantasy left wingers in the the nhl and had Scott Hartnell at 3rd…

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
        Hobo with a laptop

69. Lafleurguy says:

Great! More opportunity to revel in great memories! Peter Mahovolich deking young Tretiak at MLG, Big M judo-pinning same goalie for 15 seconds while play was going on, and no penalty call, Vic Hadfield refusing to fly to Moscow as an alternate. Ken Dryden, Yvan Cournoyer, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, the Mahovolich’s. J.C. Tremblay should have been on the team but had jumped to the WHA’s Nordiques, never to be heard from again (by me). Having lost in Mtl., Winnipeg, and Vancouver and tying the first game in Moscow (I think), Team Canada won 3 in a row. Unfortunately, in game 6 or 7, we were down 5-3 after two periods and Ken D. was pulled for Tony O and a comeback and 6-5 win ensued. Valeri Kharlamov was the best of the Soviets who skated like an uninjured Bobby Orr. Anyway, look forward to the rest of Red’s articles.

“May you live in interesting times.”

The New Years eve game against the Russian’s at the Forum, ranks #1 game that I have ever witnessed in my life.

The Canada Russia series was great, but not close to the quality of hockey played that New Years eve.!!!

• Nitroslices says:

The 72 series was great. Does anyone remember where they were when Henderson scored? I took the day off to watch the game. As for the New Year’s eve game; Canada learned their lesson from 72 so the Habs were better prepared. Great game; Habs should have won.

71. HabFab says:

When Paul Henderson scored that goal, I along with my classmates at Montreal West High School was standing on a chair in our homeroom class screaming our heads off while watching the game on TV. To the befuddled but amused amazement of our immigrant teacher, who wished we showed the same passion for our studies.
    Never ever to be forgotten!

72. Ron says:

Comment had been removed so I have deleted mine. Haha

73. Habfan10912 says:

Ed, great point. I do think Weber might be given a shot under this new regime.

———————————–

74. commandant says:

Granato is American.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

75. Curtis O Habs says:

They all look the same to me too.