Ready for the Rangers?

For one day at least, we won’t hate the Flyers. They beat Atlanta last night.

Grudge match for visitors

Stubbs column on Andrei Markov

Red’s notebook

EEEEE-mail on Fleury vs. Price

Will the Canadiens make the playoffs? Ruefrontenac weighs in

AK46 meets Martin

J.T. on Mike McPhee

1. Mark C says:

AK46 is a RFA not a UFA, meaning the open market will only be via offer sheets. How many G.M.’s do you think will be willing to give up a 1st, 3rd, and cash for AK46?

If AK46 wants to cash in in the offseason he better get producing or start thinking about the KHL.

2. Everlasting1 says:

I don’t think AK has confidence issues or feels intimidated/pressured by JM to perform at a higher level and live up to the organization’s expectations. He might still be harboring resentment over the handling of his younger bro and his own limited ice-time, regardless, he’s holding all the cards this contract year. I think he’s in charge of his faculties and knows his worth on the open market. Most GMs recognize his true potential – a top 6 physical 30 goal scorer and a decent +/-. I’d be hella surprised if he is re-signed for another lucrative contract in Mtl..even if he proves his worth under the current system.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

3. joeybarrie says:

It will come down to how this team plays against teams like the Rangers. If we can beat them, Boston, Atlanta, Tampa and Washington consistently during the rest of the season we will not end up in 8th. But will the Flyers keep up this level of play the whole season? Pitts can chase them into 4th and we may see them playing from 5th…

I think if we end up 3rd, 5th or 6th then we will have done pretty well. We can beat any team in this division. But can we beat them 4 times out of 7 games??? Anyone but Philly. But I say we cross that bridge when we get to it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Will the Habs make the playoffs?

Maybe, but 8th place is no good. We need to finish ahead of the Bruins and get 3rd.

8th place equals the Flyers equals early golf.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Two restaurants named after meat and fish:

Bar et Boeuf (Bar = Sea Bass) in Old Montreal has steaks and seafood. Very nice restaurant.

Club Chasse et Peche, also in Old Montreal, is probably the best restaurant in town.

6. Born in a Bad Year says:

Two things I have to do every trip to Montreal.

Bar B Barn.   Whole Hog.

Lafleur’s.   Trois Michigan.

7. jennifer1984 says:

soooooooo good. i just went there in the summer when we were visiting. delicious!!!

8. JohnBellyful says:

Ditto on the kudos. If only this team had a McPhee on the roster. Moen is not a McPhee 2.0. Maybe a .125.

9. habfan01 says:

Thanks for the input. Will check out some of the sites

10. JohnBellyful says:

Did he really say Некаторыя?!!! Didn’t he mean ракможаыя? Or is my knowledge of sillyric flawed?

11. joeybarrie says:

You know RetroMikey makes a funny statement below, but I think one of the things I am liking best about this team is the players level of happiness.

I remember them in the Playoffs last season, and you could see how happy the players are for the most part.

You can’t tell me Gomez, Cammi, Pleks, AK, PK, Gill, Hamr, and the rest weren’t having the greatest of times in their hockey careers. I could see the level of satisfaction. To me EVERYONE wants to get that back, if they dont have a certain level of it already.

I cannot imagine Cammi wanting anything other than that streak to come back. These guys, for the most part, do not strike me as the type to decide they want something else in such a short time. I don’t see anyong being unhappy, for the most part, with the overall idea of the team and where its going.

I think most of the Vets are happy with their roles right now, and the bumps which are normal only make it better once they are straightened out.

However, that being said, i don’t know any of them personally, and have no clue to what is in their heads. I think however, it is pretty simple. Focus on the next game and the task at hand, and worry about the rest later. We did that last season and came together in the end. i think we will do the same this season, just without the same level of success. But you never know.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. joeybarrie says:

Its a GREAT situation for us to comment on because the result of the decision is so huge that since we do not actually have to make this decision it easy for us. That being said PG has been up to make these decisions and not mess around. So I am looking forward to seeing what will happen.

I think we can get Markov for 5-6 million and I think it will be worth it. I think he is the type of guy who realizes what this team has done for him, and I think he wants to be the one to make this team great. The fact he got his CDN citizenship shows he is at least willing to end his career in the NHL in Montreal. I don’t see why that should change. If your happy with the way your life is, why make a HUGE change for a lil money. But then again, I don’t know whats its like to choose between 4 million in MTL and 4.5 in Toronto…

I don’t see why we wouldn’t offer him 2 years at 5.5 or something close to make it work with us. Then of course, once it starts going well into the second year extend befitting of how things are going. I think everyone knows Markov is OUR guy, and when healthy our superstar.

If the Habs aren’t offering anything, I don’t see any other team jumping in until July 1st. And I believe any team who will offer him 6 mil plus will obviously be a lower placed team, and probably 3-4 years from a Cup (if at all) and not a better choice if that is his goal.

To me it comes down to both sides desire. IF Markov wants to come back better than ever and make up for his lost time, for himself. He will sign petty much anything we offer him if it is fair. The Habs have never struck me as the type of team to start at 2 million and hope to end up around 4.5, if you know what I mean. And of course the Habs management’s faith in him. If they believe he can come back the same player or better (similar to be realistic) then he is already in their plans.

Worst case scenario is we lose Markov and have 11 million to replace 2 defence next season. Not a bad spot to be in with the UFA’s coming up and the range of options that are out there. BUT I believe the best case is this….

Markov, PK, Gorges, Wiz, Gill, Spach, Weber. Maybe im blinded by the Bleu, Blanc, Rouge, but that looks DAMN good to me. In fact one of the best in the league, with or without JM’s defensive system.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. punkster says:

The thing is if AK isn’t going to go to the net, shoot the puck or use his body in the corners to creat chances for the top 6 then we’re better off having him put in a good performance on the H&M line than sitting in the press box. I’m not an AK fan when he plays in a fog, which is way too often for a pro athelete of his talents, but if he can play a role somewhere here then why not. He brings more “potential” to the game than a callup from Hamilton would right now because we’ve seen that potential actually work out.

***Subbang!!!***

14. Rugger says:

JT, excellent discussion with Mr. McPhee, always a favorite when he played here.

15. Mark C says:

Did RetroMikey not see this: “And RDS reports Mike Cammalleri has strep throat – and denies idiotic rumour he’d asked to be traded?”

16. punkster says:

Not sure, but JM did say something that rhymes with puck and it wasn’t “Good luck”.

***Subbang!!!***

17. habstrinifan says:

JM after meeting with AK46..”He had a good performance with Halpern and Moen”.

Classic! I am so relived NOW. Let’s see more of that great line Halpern/Moen/AK46. I cant wait for the thrills.

What did we do to deserve JM’s genius?

18. punkster says:

Well, MH is a sickly sweet kinda guy. But he can take a good ribbing.

***Subbang!!!***

19. RetroMikey says:

I just love the Cyrillic Language!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

20. punkster says:

Go big or go home. Da Vinci Restaurant (Ristorante Da Vinci) on Bishop between St Catherines and Rene Lesvesque. Short walk from the Bell Centre. Their specialties are Ossobuco, Filet Mignon, Lamb Shanks, Veal Chop, Game, Dessert, Risotto and Pasta. Eaten there many times and always a pleasure.

***Subbang!!!***

21. RetroMikey says:

Is Mike Cammalleri on the move before the trade deadline?

Is Mike Cammallerri asking for a trade?

Is Mike Cammallerri happy with the attention PK is getting with the media?

Did Mike  Cammalleri speak out against the treatment bestowed upon P. K and Lapierre soon followed which led to his trade?

Does Mike Cammallerri really have strep throat or was he told to shut up by the organization when speaking to the media?

Boone, we need answers!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

22. Danno says:

I’ll bet he said the words “puck in the net” a few times.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

23. punkster says:

I kind of imagine the talk between JM and AK went something like this…

JM: Andre, come on in. I’m glad you stopped by.
    AK: Добры дзень вялікія вушы
    JM: Good, good…well have a seat. I was meaning to have a chat with you.
    AK:
    Ніца пасады. Любы шанец атрымаць напой у гэтым месцы?
    JM: What? Oh, sure, thanks. My wife picks them out. Goes nice with the shirt, eh?
    AK:
    Перакусіць, можа быць? Некаторыя cheesies ці, можа быць, чаша Крафт вячэру? Што-небудзь?
    JM: Yes, right. OK so the reason I wanted to talk to you was about your effort, you know.
    AK:
    Гэй, рабіць тыя рэчы, схадзіць у начны час ці вы карыстаецеся іх купляць. Хахаха
    JM: We’d kind of like you to, you know, get more involved in the play.
    AK:
    Таму, калі я атрымаю свой Калядны бонус?
    JM: Good, good. OK, so I’m glad that’s clear now. ‘Way you go young man. See you tonight.
    AK:
    Што, не напоі? Няма закускі? Гэта ўсё? Што рывок.
    JM: Nice kid. And they say I don’t know how to talk to kids.

***Subbang!!!***

24. Sith says:

Steakhouse in oldport = WIN.

25. Hobie Hansen says:

Andrei Markov, when healthy, is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. The big question has to be whether another team with throw a ton of money at him over the summer or if he’ll resign in Montreal for a reasonable rate.

I have a feeling that Pierre Gauthier won’t get into a bidding war over Markov, once teams go over the five million dollar a year range the Canadiens will bow out. I believe Gauthier and Martin would be happy with Gorges, Wisneiwski and Subban anchoring the defence because they’re younger and somewhat healthier. Montreal won’t be able to resign everyone on defence, I think their top four will be Wisniewski-Gorges-Subban-Spacek.

I hope Gauthier can somehow get Markov under contract and balance out the defence because Markov’s talent is undeniable. When Markov is healthy, only Carey Price comes close to his talent level.

26. habstrinifan says:

“After the All Stare break the guys normally seem to buckle down and go for it”. Like they did last year?

27. fbkj says:

i liked your first link better, was rife with passive aggro lulz, whether intentional or no

:P

28. Danno says:

Ooops. Reset. Take off BGL and PG preferences. Now try this

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

29. PeterD says:

AK asking what he can do to get more ice time???

Are you kidding me?  Is he really that thick or stupid or not understand the language?

It’s easy AK…”play with passion, heart and inspiration every time you go on the ice and use the talent you have to it’s highest potential…”  No secret there AK…as they say in the Nike ads…”Just do it”.

30. New says:

The only thing stopping the team from making the playoffs as I see it is scoring. The shooting % of the forwards is nothing to write home about. Gionta and Gomez have to pick it up. I know they get the minutes but it can’t be while the other team is scoring. Eller I like; good things happen around him.

Right now, if nothing changes, I think they will either make #16 or between 16 and 20. Pick up the scoring, make life easier on the D and goalies, and they’re 5-8.

After the All Stare break the guys normally seem to buckle down and go for it. Something on this team has to change soon or it won’t be 5-8. And how did the Wiz suddenly become the best of the team’s D-men? What is that saying?

31. fbkj says:

totally off my radar for years i guess… i dunno never dug the mollasses based rib sauce

32. Omit says:

The Keg in Place Ville Marie is about 4 streets from the Bell Center.

33. mrhabby says:

open and busy , busy.

34. fbkj says:

is that place even still open?

35. mrhabby says:

not one of the most romantic places(anniversay) but for fun and good food before a game how about Bar B Barn…(guy/st.catherine.)

36. fbkj says:

heh he asked for steak

37. Danno says:

This is a guide to restaurants in Montreal. You can specify a location (Bell Centre) and it will show you all the restaurants of that type within the area. Hope this helps.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

38. fbkj says:

queue de cheval

ps: bring cash

39. fun police says:

have you watched the canadiens over the last few years.  we used to be a team that hung on the whole game, giving up  30 plus shots every night with another 30 shots directed at the net.  whether you like it or not, with martin, on most nights we are the team that outshouts everyone, actually plays with the puck and doesn’t give up a whole lot of scoring chances.  even on nights where we don’t play well, we still don’t give up many quality scoring chances.  who would you like to be like, detroit?  so would 29 other teams.

the habs did pick up a consistent goal scorer, cammy.  everyone is crying because cammy isn’t scoring.  well first of all he proved that he can score when it matters (13 in the playoffs!).  also, cammy is actually playing for a decent team, unlike the kings and even calgary.  good teams put results ahead of personal statistics (ask pleks about last playoffs).  again, when it matters, we can score.

auld is getting the job done.

40. habfan01 says:

Question- going to Montreal Monday for my 20th anniversary. Which is the best place for supper? Looking for probably a steak/seafood place. Although any and all suggestions will be considered.

41. mrhabby says:

1..come on man. Martin is not going anywhere. he did make molsons a ton of money last year remember.

2..50/50 chance of us getting the  forward you talk about…re:salary cap and we can’t keep on giving away pics and prospects.

3..auld just needs more work. he is capable.

42. Bogie Man says:

I believe that the owners need to look hard at making some significant changes. Martin is not a motivator. Players obviously show very little respect for his coaching style this show in their lack lustre play every other game. These guys are physically and technically capable. They have showed it on other teams and other occasions. The team lacks the “do it for the team” attitude they need to be successful this year. My wish list for changes are:

1. Remove Martin and replace him with a younger coach that is willing to light the fuse when needed.
    2. Pick up a more consitent proved goal scorer who is big and can go to the net hard. An offensive player who plays hard like Wisniewski does on defence. A blue collar hard working go to the night every night player.
    3. Back Up tender to Price who is capable of carrying some of the load. Auld is ok, but if Martin does not use him or is not confident when he is in the net then we need someone else. Price cannot carry his team to the paly offs on his back and then be expected to carry them deep into the play offs by himself. Not going to work no matter if Price says he is not tired or not he needs rest.

In my opinion, the above 3 things do not occur we will potentially not make the play offs and if we do we will not last beyond the first round. Mark my words!

43. JohnBellyful says:

Worth checking out if you haven’t seen it already. Warning: video contains footage of Leaf fan.

44. Mark C says:

But he can’t just fly off to some other team and do that without Montreal receiving compensation. There are only 4 options for AK46 this offseason: 1) Montreal, 2) KHL, 3) Trade, and 4) Offer sheet. The KHL is the only option where Montreal winds up without a return on him.

45. Everlasting1 says:

The point being he’ll earn more elsewhere as he’s an impact player, and the Habs will acquire another project or two that may or may not pan out.

”We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

46. Mark C says:

All the offers are reported that’s how. If an offer is made, the team with the player must match or the other team gets the player. The whole process is very transparent. If Montreal didn’t match, the return in picks would be great value for a player like AK47.

47. Everlasting1 says:

How would you know how many offers are given yearly throughout the league? Not all are reported. Why would Mtl match an offer if he doesn’t produce in the second half of the season? Mtl may get the picks for him, but he wouldn’t stay or leave for less money.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

48. J_P says:

This idea of throwing down and getting revenge for a clean hit is absolutely stupid.

49. Mark C says:

In case you haven’t noticed, not many offer sheets are given out each year (only 1 last year, right?). If they do come, the Habs can match, or turn AK46 into at least a 1st and 3rd round pick. How is that not a win-win for Montreal?

50. New says:

Sorry. By guys I meant the players in the NHL get serious about finish placement, next contracts, and meeting bonus clauses. That is when this team falters.

51. newbrunswick troy says:

you said it 100% correct….in no way shape or form does the habs belong in the same league as the flyers…i,m sorry to say

52. NoTinFoilCups says:

I hope you are right about other GMs seeing potential in him. Since he is in fact an RFA this summer we may be able to get something in return by way of a trade or draft picks as compensation. Nashville would be a good fit for him or any southern backwater for that matter where no one only his teammates will have a clue who he is.

53. Everlasting1 says:

Looked clean to me. Kane looking down on the puck doesn’t make it blindside lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

54. ProHabs says:

That was a great hit Gman. Clean and hard. Legal hit for sure. O’Donnell used his body to make the hit, much like Subban did with his hit on Marchant. Kane is a great player but needs to keep hit head up. The most interesting part of that hit is watching Antropov run away and do nothing to defend his teammate. Antropov, perfect example of a big player who is soft as butter.

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Blindside hits are still dangerous even if not to the head. That’s how you get whiplash from a car accident.

56. Everlasting1 says:

May not matter much..the offers will come. He’s still young and can’t see him taking a pay cut wherever he ends up.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

57. showey47 says:

Well said tony. I admit i was never a big JM fan but his system (when executed properly)does limit quality scoring chances against. I think the most impressive thing is that we still outshoot the opposition most nights when we are usually the team killing off more penalties and only getting a couple of powerplays.

58. mike g says:

Any of you guys see the big hit Sean O’Donnel laid on Evander Kane last night? Saw the highlight a couple of times, and im not sure about the hit. He came fron across the ice and hit Kane from the side. The hit came from the blindside, but Kane didnt get hurt because there was no contact to the head or a raised elbow. Do you guys think that hit was legal because there was no incidental contact to the head, or are you totally against any hits from the obstructed blindside view??

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. PrimeTime says:

Man your life must suck. Do you always cry in public? (Not that there’s anything wrong with that!)

60. Danno says:

Journalism is elevated to an artform when a story which is all sound and fury, but signifying nothing, is described in detail and at length.

Nothing compares to the story about the non-story. It is the finest of them all.

“”Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

61. W35T5ID3 says:

…..book ‘em Danno…..

62. W35T5ID3 says:

Tonights the night Cammy breaks out against the Rangers just as he did last season with his hat trick performance and GWG in OT against them.

63. habs001 says:

i hope you are right…it is interesting though that before every hab game we have posters predicting hab wins by scoring 5 to 6 goals ..hopefully the habs score this many goals more than once every 6 weeks..

64. ProHabs says:

Darn, another day of reading HIO and not seeing that AK46 has been traded.

65. Danno says:

AK met with JM in his office — RDS

TSN also mentions it

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

66. SmartDog says:

Martin said the meeting went so well, next time he might let AK say something too.

——-

67. SmartDog says:

Great article on Markov Stubbs.  You gotta love Marky.  I hope he’s back in the fall.

Eller is the new Moen.  I like Eller but putting him on the first line is another
    experiment bound to fail.  I think Martin likes cinderalla stories…
    makes sense because it’s the only way he’s ever getting a Stanley Cup
    (and on the present course, that’s not likely).

Interesting quote from Martin on AK: It’s my job to extract the maximum from those here.

Good thing. Seems like he used to think is was his job to crap on players until they broke and then have them shipped off to be rebuilt into strong contributing NHLers elsewhere.  I’m glad we won’t see that anymore!

What the hell happened to Halpern?  He was lighting it up for about six weeks and now he’s gone like granola. So much for this important aqcuision.  I’m starting to think that Montreal is where players go to get away from the pressure to score goals.  We have nice sweaters too (and you can still pick up 100 year stuff on sale!).

——-

68. twocents says:

Eller compared to Moen?

Someone should give you a scouting job.

As far as Halpern goes, it’s interesting you mention him without mentioning Domenic Moore, who you crowed so much about losing. They have the same amount of points, but Moore is -16 and Halpern is plus 4. And, Moore delivers his numbers for double the salary!

Maybe Tampa is where players go to sadly end their careers, Moore, Gagne, Ohlund, Pouliot.

Doesn’t that Boucher know how to get the best out of his players?

69. habstrinifan says:

Re Halpern, same as with ALL the players. They have been been surreptitiously afflicted with the ennui of the ‘system’. Safe, mistake-free, do-nothingness play helps the coach not notice them. And JM’s goal is to have an entire team on the ice that no one notices.

70. Mark C says:

Halpern is still on pace for his best season since 2007-08, but let’s not be bothered by factoring in one’s career numbers. He played great for about 20 games, so it must be JM fault that the next 20 games have been so-so. These things happen to ALL players, Halpern’s just in a cold streak like most of the team. This isn’t a Montreal or JM problem.

Good morning,

We are now in the area on the schedule, crucial to how we are going to finish the regular season.

From this point on, we must have a large push on to obtain every single point. And not only that, we must keep the opposition from acquiring single points for a tie.

We can not afford to mail games in like the last one at the Bell Center. The end to the regular season is approaching very quickly, with not much separation between teams that will or will not make the play offs.

No more putting off until tomorrow, it starts tonight. The next 4 weeks will determine which teams wants it more.

It now comes down to HEART,PRIDE, DETERMINATION, and PLAYING FOR EACH OTHER, that will separate teams in the standings.

We have the team and system, that can take us into the conference finals of the play offs. Now its time for team play and to put it all together.

It is up to each player to execute the system and thrill us as they did last year.

72. JF says:

Ian – I don’t think there’s any way the Habs can make it to the conference finals this year.  We simply don’t have the horses, either on defence or on offence.  We couldn’t win a series against Philly, and I doubt that Washington and Pittsburgh will be bitten twice the same way.  I think we’d have a good chance of beating the Bruins, Lightning or Rangers, so we could get to the second round, but I can’t see us going farther than that.

73. habstrinifan says:

Ian I respect your knowledge and posts.And so with all due respect to you, I ask if you really see in this team and  spirit which would bring the style of play characterized by HEART,PRIDE, DETERMINATION, and PLAYING FOR EACH OTHER. It may be quite the oposite. The optimism and spirit so evident in players like Cammillieri and Lapierre and Kostitsyn prior to the start of the season and into the first month or so of the season have been completely sapped by unfocussed, uninspirational and the divisive methods of the coach.

74. shootdapuck says:

Ian,

Old fashioned coach playing an old fashioned system.

Do you think its a secret that the Habs breakout is up the boards, the entire league has it figured out.

Do you think for one second Scotty Bowman would remain silent behind the bench after 6 straight penalties were called justified or not? No way!

Bylsma wasn’t and the calls went all his way after he had a short whinge with the officials after the first period.

JM is like a voyeur; “I only like to watch and make notes!”.

Maybe after June 30, 2011 the Habs will have access to larger pool of potential coaches to choose from!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

75. JohnBellyful says:

Let’s be honest, not all of the Hab games are fun to watch. Even when the lads are victorious, their play can be dull as dishwater at times and as often as not infuriating. Bad passes, bad penalties … For those games you need an extra incentive to watch.
    Let me suggest one: Online betting.

Each HIO poster will be staked to 1,000 Boonies. What is the wager? In advance of each contest, you must predict the time of the last goal of the game for the Canadiens and one player’s TOI (your choice, and no, you can’t put down a goalie. Although some people do here occasionally).
    So, for tonight’s game, my wager would be 50 Boonies on 12:31 for the Canadiens’ last goal (the period is irrevelant) and 50 Boonies on a TOI of 21:34 for Subban. Yes, it’s purely a game of chance – well, for you guys; my system is foolproof – but it might turn ho-hum into hoo-ha.
    You could shout out your choices or merely append to one of your posts.
    All the entries will be recorded on Stubbs and the poster at the end of the season with the most Boonies will receive a Hickey from Mio. (We might want to look into getting prize sponsors. Quickly.)
    WARNING: The Boonies have no intrinsic value and cannot be tendered for purchases made over the Internet. They can, however, be used to complete transactions with deposed princes from Nigeria.

Here again is my wager for tonight’s match against the Rangers:

12:31 (50 Boonies) 21:34 Subban (50 Boonies)

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

76. Danno says:

I wonder if Martin was tempted to push that button under his desk.

You know, the one that opens the trap door in the floor.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

77. tony d says:

I tend to agree. This team will only go far with an incredible amount of luck and miraculous goaltending. Against stronger teams, we’re easily knocked off the puck and are offensively stifled. I admire their heart and determination (when they show up) but I don’t think they are capable of doing battle in the post season.

JF–not so sure, if the new recruits catch onto the system and play it the way Martin in visions it being played, we can shut down any opposition. Others are starting to gain confidence, and the puck will start going in a little more often for them now. it is going to be a squeaker every night to be sure. But if Pouliot and a few others can play with discipline, we will be alright.

Don’t quit on them just yet Tony, Martin plays a shut down play off system all year long, we may just peak at the right time my friend.

80. JohnBellyful says:

I also tend to agree with JF. I wasn’t at all optimistic the team would do well entering the playoffs last year and was excited by their performance. I hoped I’m proved wrong again — the team is marginally better this year and would be more of an upgrade without the injuries — but I’m not certain at all it will even make the playoffs. Tonight’s contest, as is the case with so many these days, will tell how good are the team’s chances. The playoffs have already started, so close are the races.

81. punkster says:

I sense an underlying tone of negativity around here today. I hope it’s just the sinking barometer or the phase of the moon just now. Whatever, it’s unsettling. Need more seltzer!

***Subbang!!!***

82. JohnBellyful says:

I take my seltzer with a dash of realism and a grain of salt. They actually settle the stomach.

83. punkster says:

Realism? Please, not here, not on this site. The definition of realism here is the last comment posted. ;)

***Subbang!!!***

84. JF says:

Ian – I don’t think anyone’s quitting.  We’re just trying to be realistic.  Next year might be our time to make a real run. Price is having a very good season and will probably be even better next.  Our rookies – Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, and Weber – are learning a lot this year and should be less prone to errors next year.  If Gauthier can add some scoring, we should be in good shape.  But this year, with the injuries, our patchwork defence, and our extremely low scoring, I don’t see how we can hope to do more than make the second round.  And the games are so close we may not make the playoffs at all.

85. JohnBellyful says:

And the definition of surrealism? Pragmatism with a pedigree?

Surrealism. Sir Realism

Abe Andon … now I get it!

86. punkster says:

Abe would have brought so much to this team. Maybe we’ll see him suit up in the playoffs.

***Subbang!!!***

87. mike g says:

Biron in nets for NYR tonight. Habs must take advantage of not having to face Henrik twice in 1 week. Even though Biron has been very good this year, we need to score minimum 4 goals. Thats 1 per period and an enpty netter. It would be great for the teams offensive confidence, and would also help to get the 2 pts…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

88. habstrinifan says:

First thing caught my eye today as I opened HIO… AK meets with coach. And as I listened Team 990 best I could from here in Ottawa, I had the same sense of doom. I also plan to read Frontenac’s columns re Canadiens best I could. They seem to have the same sense of doom. What’s my POINT?

Well it seems, thankfully, there is beginning to to be a a growing voice among fans and media and even players about the sad sad state of affairs of this once gloried gloried HOCKEY team.

Enough is Enough! As someone on Team 990′s morning show said. I am so fed up of seeing this team play hockey and come away feeling they will only win if THEY ARE LUCKY. Look at the most recent wins the team has had.

Decrying the state of affairs and the prolonged mediocrity of this team raises outrage here on HIO. GO ELSEWHERE people holler. You should be a fan and support the team. Meanwhile everything points to a real need for a complete overhaul of management, goals, philosophy and plans that would put this team on the road to rejuvenation and truly representative of the HOCKEY legacy built upon the ’love’ and ‘passion’ and ‘emotion’ of Canadiens of the past.

I keep asking myself. If we were to play Toronto tomorrow… can I say with any confidence that we should WIN. If we play OTTAWA tomorrow can I say with any degree of confidence that we should WIN. Every effing game is an exercise in fear. Not nervousness.. just plain fear. Our team has no style, no life, no promise, no cohesion, no skill, no pluck, nothing which makes a fan sit and shout positively.

You dont bite your fingernails watching this team. You bite your tongue! ESPECIALLY so when those shots of the pale and distressed countenance of JM show up on the screen. And the fact that you are seeing more and more of these shots of JM during games again points to the growing sense of doom.

I am so fed up of sitting through games and hoping that we can ‘sneak’ out a WIN. I dread the next game against a loser team like Toronto or Ottawa, who comes at us with the rivalry of neighbourhood turf gangs.

I listen with dismay to some of our players, to our coach. I wish I had the opportunity to listen to Pierre Gauthier or Molson on Team990 as I have done with so many other GM’s from other teams. But they hide in their towers pretending at impenetable industry but conveying currish cowardice.

The words of Gomez ring so troublingy in my mind. Remeber that goal he scored…. yes VIRGINIA Gomex DID score a goal within recallable memory. And what did he say. “I wasnt really shooting”. If I were a coach I would have been sitting him down and have him analyse his season in context of that statement. And I am not singleing out Gomez.  It was just such a revealing remark. Dear Mr. Gomez. You wont ‘passing’ that puck. So what were you, a $7 mill TOP SIX FORWARD doing. If you werent shooting or passing.

It reveals more about the purposeless, aimless, just get in the way play of this team…

Please Please Mr. Molson rescue thiis franchise NOW.

Start by insisting that a ‘development’ team be immediately recruited and given responsibility for our young players.. a la Claude Ruel. And make that team prepare by watching videos of how the Canadiens played hockey and became a great franchise.

Mr. Molson, (JM/PG ET AL), you may do well to heed the advice of basketball coach John Wooden, “Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be”.

89. SmartDog says:

Eller compared to Moen?

In that they’re both being asked to do what they can’t – play in the top 6.  It’s a metaphor… you know like ‘grey is the new black’.  Not a direct comparison (obvious to anyone who reads it but you).

And last I checked Tampa was 5 places higher in the standings.  Not too shabby dontcha think?

Anyway, thanks for your 1.5 cents.
    ——-

90. SeriousFan09 says:

If Stamkos was injured tommorow, how fast would they fall in the standings? Much as people have said MTL couldn’t survive without Markov at times, that team would sink quickly without the latest contribution from the NHL’s Rewards for Failing Welfare Teams Program.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

91. Mark C says:

Tampa is also a mere 2 points away from being 1 place higher than Montreal in the standings.