RDS to televise Tournée des joueurs game

Giontaweb

It won’t be the Ottawa Senators vs. the Canadiens on RDS on Oct. 11 as originally planned in the NHL schedule. But Habs fans will be able to watch locked-out NHL players square off against each other at the Colisée Pepsi in Quebec City the same night.

With the start of the NHL season cancelled because of the labour dispute, RDS has decided to broadcast the game, which is part of La tournée des joueurs.

Philadelphia Flyers teammates Maxime Talbot and Bruno Gervais came up with the idea for the exhibition series in Quebec. The proceeds go to charity and local hockey-related associations.

The series kicked off Sept. 27 in Châteauguay, where more than 1,200 fans showed up to watch a group of NHL players that included Canadiens captain Brian Gionta and defenceman Francis Bouillon. Other games are scheduled for Thursday night in St. Hyacinthe, Friday in Sherbrooke and Wednesday in Rimouski.

Meanwhile, TVA Sports has been named the official French language broadcaster of the Hamilton Bulldogs, with its first broadcast slated for Oct. 20 game against the Toronto Marlies. Future broadcasts will be announced at a later date.

Sportsnet announced it will start televising AHL games on Saturday nights, beginning on Oct. 13 when the Marlies play their home opener against the Rochester Americans. The following Saturday, Sportsnet will have a doubleheader with the Bulldogs taking on the Marlies in Toronto at 7 p.m., followed by the Chicago Wolves against the Abbotsford Heat at 10 p.m.

Cammalleri surprises a bantam team of kids in Richmond Hill and joins them in practise. Must of been quite a thrill for the kids.

• shiram says:

Cammaleri is a passionate and competitive guy, and he really loves hockey, I have to respect that.
      And going to a practice with kids like that is a great move, I’m sure it will inspire some of those kids.

• Kooch7800 says:

Good on him. That is the difference between hockey players and most other professional sports (ie basketball, football). Hockey players seem to give back more.

I wonder if Cammy stayed on the peripheral with the Bantam’s as well!

• Bripro says:

Wow, what a cool story. Good for him, and for the kids.
      Years ago, I attended a couple of summers’ at the National Hockey School in Saint-Anne-de-Bellevue. There were kids from as far as Philly.
      At the time, players didn’t earn nearly as much money, so they ran this school with many of the Habs’ super stars, like Robinson, Lemaire, Cournoyer, Backstrom, Phil Myre and coached by Jacques Demers, who was my coach in Chateauguay for Juniors.
      It was a blast, and when Lemaire laid me out with a nasty check and skated away laughing, I took off after him, with a huge smile.
      It turned into a scuffle in the corner, and I’d say he took the worst of it. ;)
      But it’s something I’ll never forget.

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Some of the kids are probably bigger and tougher than he is.

Hamilton Bulldogs Game
    Okay, for those interested there are a number of HI/O people who are going to attend the Oct. 26th game against Toronto Marlies at Copps Coliseum.

This started as a group of 5 people who decided they would attend the game and could be viewed as a Mini-Summit.

I admit that I don’t have the planning abilities of Ian, however, no reason a gang of us can’t enjoy the games. I will be in further discussion today with the Account Manager from the Bulldogs to allow everyone to purchase their own tickets but under our group rate.

In past seasons Dogs games usually have cavernous spaces to move around and find a seat you like. So i don’t think buying a block of tickets per se is necessary, but may be possible.

There is a junior game Sunday between Brampton and Sarnia which would showcase Galchenyuk, tickets to Brampton games are usually extremely easy to get and lots of room. There is also another Bulldogs game Sunday against Abbotsford.

THere are no formal Saturday plans in place.

I will post more information later today. I apologize if this is too short notice for many, perhaps as we find out the entire season is lost we can do a Spring Summit in Hamilton and be hopeful the Dogs are looking at a playoff run.

Hotel – Information, there is a Sheraton in Hamilton virtually connected to Copps Coliseum. There is also a few hotels in Burlington which I know a few people will be staying at, Holiday Inn.

Perhaps we can make a great weekend out of this.

3. habsnyc says:

My hope was that the players were bluffing and would return to negotiate. Fehr has done an amazing job uniting mostly uneducated players from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds almost none of whom will ever earn back the money they lose in a lockout.

It is no longer about negotiating, because no one is negotiating. It is about Bettman and Fehr each keeping their respecitve sides fully aligned with oppsing ideologies that serves neither in the long run. Sadly, this is what both men do better than almost anyone on the planet.

Fans have no voice. They must let these two pugilists stand fists clenched, toe to toe, yet refusing to throw any punches In this fight, the fan is the third man in. No matter what the outcome, they will receive the major penalty.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• habitual says:

Bargaining doesn’t always mean talking, but it just about always means opposing ideologies.

• Welks says:

Ultimately the players will have to fold on the one item holding this back. That is the salary reductions across the board. I think it is disgusting the owners this off season have been negotiating in bad faith. The Wild signed Suter and Parisi to huge contracts knowing full well they would never pay this amount because they were going to roll back salaries 24%. The contracts should be untouchable value wise, they were signed in good faith and what the owners are doing is the same as if a player were to stay out of camp with a valid contract in order to demand a raise. They want to lower the cap go right ahead, then buyout the players you cannot afford and restock. Negotiate a settlement that this year buyouts do not count against the cap.

• Blondie says:

I agree wholeheartedly. Sure, roll back the cap, but deal with it in future contracts. Loosen the buyout rules temporarily to let teams that would be over the new cap get under. Maybe a freebie buyout or two as they did last time.

Edit: Maybe apply the same logic to cap floor teams that are struggling. i.e. allow teams to use buyouts to reach the new cap floor too.

• Forlando says:

Wow, I didn’t know Don Cherry was posting on this site.

So, bottom line it is the fault of a bunch of uneducated foreigners…
      So sad to read your post.

• habsnyc says:

I did not say the players were unintelligent, nor did I say they were foreigners. I said they come from diverse backgrounds. You made your own foolish conclusion. NHL players are for the most part not college educated. They are at a knowledge and experience deficit relative to their union and realtive to Bettman. I said that Fehr is very talented to be able to keep this a cohesive group. His successor was unable to maintain player unity.

The players are the least educated participants in this affair. A small percentage of players attend college and even fewer have the time to study any subjects relevent to labor relations. The players are placing all their trust in Fehr.

And yes, the NHL players are fools to be holding out in this dispute. They have no leverage and get a much higher percent of revenues than NFL or NBA players.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Cal says:

Hi habsnyc- I think you mean predecessor. I am just sick to death of both sides in this dispute.

pred·e·ces·sor/ˈpredəˌsesər/Noun: 1.A person who held a job or office before the current holder.

• habitual says:

Talk about arrogance: you know better than the players what is good for them, and what their bargaining position should be.

Perhaps you can email Fehr and straighten this all out.

4. Could someone send me a link to the Mini Summit. Date, Time, and where we are staying. If I’m not too busy I’ll use my flight to Montreal for Hamilton.

And while we’re there, maybe we can raise money for those poor players who aren’t getting enough or buy the owners lunch.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

5. commandant says:

NCAA hockey starts this weekend with the traditional season-opening tournaments. Dany Kristo will serve his two game suspension today and tomorrow.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

6. nextguy says:

Does anyone recall what happened to the draft in 04-05 when we lost the season? Did they just keep the order from the previous year’s draft?

Was a lottery system where teams who had missed playoffs recently were rewarded with higher degree of probabitlity for high pick.

If indeed similar process is used, all teams start with 3 balls in the bucket. For every season of the past 3 in which your team has made playoffs you lose a ball up to a maximum of 2 balls removed.

Therefore the Habs would have the same chance as Pittsburgh, Philly and Boston at high pick.

Toronto and Edmonton would have all 3 balls in the cauldron.

HIO 2012 Summit Official Cancellation Notice

I am now making this official, we are all disappointed as I have thrown in the towel until we get hockey back in the spring or next year.

This is important,
    I spoke to all our venues yesterday!
    All those with reservations with the Novotel “MUST” call themselves to cancel and receive your credit at 1-866-861-6112.

Make sure you do not lose your “hockey game tickets”, you will need them to receive your replacement tickets when we have the Summit. There is no other way to get replacement ones.!!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks again Ian. I hope you can find your way to Hamilton for the replacement mini summit. A lot of folks, myself included are in debt to you and owe you a beverage or two. CHeers.

———————————–

• chanchilla says:

when are you guys doing this again, did you already get tickets? i was planning on going to this game anyways i seemed to have missed this thread.

I wonder if the continued exodus of players to the KHL could have an adverse affect on the NHLPA’s stance. As more and more players (particularly North American born) start playing in the KHL, could it be that these players start to realize just how much better they may indeed be treated in the NHL? I suspect the Russian born players may not feel this way as they will obviously be more comfortable in their home country, they also will have a better idea what to expect from this league.

Just seems to me that some players may start to realize how much they miss the comforts, the glitz and glam of playing in the comforts of the NHL.

I say this based on reading the various reports of just how different indeed the KHL and all that goes with it is much much different from the NHL.

• Bripro says:

Thanks for pointing out what a leader I am last night with Jim.
      But I think Dorval Tony thought you were talking about Brian Gionta.
      And if he wasn’t, I won’t take it personally. ;)

*********************************************

I saw that response and had a small chuckle. How ya doin bud? Big game for your Pats this weekend with Manning making a visit to your teams barn.

• Bripro says:

Indeed! And I believe yours will make a heartfelt return.
          Either that, or they’ll be looking at the bottom of the tank.

*********************************************

• Psycho29 says:

For the record Bri, I don’t think that Eric Cole is a better leader than you are.

;-)

• Bripro says:

Wait ’till you see me skate Perry. You might change your mind.
          But thanks for that. Makes my day!

*********************************************

9. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout – Day 20

I’ll be in Cobourg Saturday night watching – er, scouting — the Bulldogs when they take on the Marlies in an exhibition game. I’ve already prepared a thumbnail sketch on some of the prospects in the Leafs system I expect to see in action (No. 4 in a series):

Fabian DeWilde, RW – A fourth-liner, DeWilde seldom plays more than five minutes a week. A string of injuries has hampered his development as a mediocre player. DeWilde, however, has no equal in keeping morale high among his teammates, performing comedy routines before games and during commercial breaks.
    A superb mimic, he’s often asked by his coach to give his teammates a pep talk as Don Cherry. DeWilde is also a skilled magician, the sole blot on his resume being the sawing-the-trainer-in-half trick that went sadly awry in Rochester during the second intermission. Some speculate the unfortunate incident contributed to the team’s meltdown in the third, when it gave up five unanswered goals.
    “They seemed distracted by having to give witness statements on the bench,” a spectator said.

Merle Ogden Royale, G – A graduate of the JS Giguere school of goaltending, Royale recorded three consecutive shutouts his rookie campaign in the AHL and was headed for his fourth when an on-ice official noticed a huge plate of plexiglass, the size of a net, attached to his back. Royale pleaded ignorance but was suspended for two-and-a-half games, and ordered to write out 1,000 line combinations.

Jimminy Johannssen, D – Johannssen is a smooth-talking blueliner who’s not afraid to go in the corners to pick up his helmet after he’s been levelled in front of his net. The Östersund Oyster has a devastating shot, which invariably arrives at the opponent’s net head high, “so my teammates standing in front won’t lose sight of the puck,” he says. Such consideration for their welfare has not gone unnoticed. His teammates regularly adjust his jockstrap with their sticks, “so he can concentrate on playing defence.”

Doyle Watson C – The thinking man’s hockey player, Watson has an uncanny ability to find the open player with a pass and to be in the right spot to intercept the other team’s passes. “I deduce where they’ll be,” Watson says.
    Noticeable for his deerstalker helmet and fondness for disguises – he once played an entire game as Eddie Shack – Watson is a longshot for promotion by the Leafs.
    “Too much brain, not enough brawn,” one scout said. “The Leafs want pugnacity, not sagacity,” said another.

Billy Canker C – Canker just might be the most reviled player in professional hockey. The Flim-Flam native is a deft stickwielder notorious for breaking ankles, carving faces and spearing spleens. His teammates refuse to scrimmage with him. Anthem singers wear full protection. Linesmen have been neutered at faceoffs. The Queen has asked that her portrait face the wall when he plays.
    Canker has lost only one fight in his career – he’s had only one, with a parking lot attendant — but is undefeated in 137 ambushes.
    Canker overcame adversity – he was born without a soul – and an impoverished childhood – his family ate grass six days a week – to make it to the pros.
    A diabolic, he self-injects five shots of insolence each day.
    Canker “is a sure thing to make the Leafs,” said a scout. “And what he makes them won’t be pretty.”

****

The $^Q#&$&q union and $@#%#% league @#%#%
    Said the fans who ##$%$% and #%$@$
    So they $#^ the ##%## and #%$@
    And ##%$ the T%) %#$&#
    And were glad *##!%$@ !@#$$@#
    #$@$#@@
    #%#%^#&^#@#@

[‘Good grief, man, what kind of verse is that?’
    ‘Blankety-blank, of course.’
    ‘Oh. Well, #%$@$ doesn’t rhyme with #%$@.’
    ‘Oh. #%$@&?’
    ‘That’s better.]

***

Interesing notion the union and league have about what it means to cut a deal. Their response is to cut games.
    I wonder what happens when they move on to hammering out a contract.

Your research is amazing, i cross referenced all these players on Hockeydb.com and couldn’t find anything on them. Just more proof that the real scouts are here at HI/O.

• Habfan10912 says:

Bravo JB! I heard Canker had an injury of some sort. Read that Canker was sore. Sorry. Not in your league. Cal? You’te up.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

All this cursing, so early in the morning.
      It’s just too much for my Watsoneske reasoning to handle.
      Good day to you sir.
      I hope your engrained 7-second brain editor is functioning.

*********************************************

• Lafleurguy says:

Jimminy brings back memories of Gaston Gingras
      And I can still visualize Doyle beating up the Glad garbage bag, the one time a Leaf decisively won something.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

Man, where is this material coming from? Do you have a lockout locker filled with goodies? LMAO funny, JB! :D

I must answer your blankety verse with this
      John Denver classic:

This lockout is senseless, like a turtle in the fast lane,
      Like mountain dew in my coffee cup,
      Like a cactus in the rain, like a snake in the air,
      Like a creepy blue crustacean.
      This lockout is senseless, where are we at, again?

Come let me watch games, let me give my pay to you,
      Let me drown in your warm beer; let me be up in arms.
      Let me see the replays, let me always be with you
      Come let me be a fan, come play me again.

Let me give my pay to you,
      Come let me be a fan, come play me.

This lockout is senseless, like a turtle in the fast lane,
      Like mountain dew in my coffee cup,
      Like a cactus in the rain, like a snake in the air,
      Like a creepy blue crustacean.
      This lockout is senseless, where are we at, again?

10. Hobie Hansen says:

Now that TVA is broadcasting a bunch of Bulldogs games, I hear 40, I could care less that the NHL has started cancelling games.

We all know that the Habs would be a long shot to make the playoffs, and an even longer shot to do any sort of damage if they did sneak in. The Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Bruins, just to name a few, are light years a head of the Habs.

To tell you the truth, I was going to probably pay as much attention to the Bulldogs as I was the Habs this year anyway. The Habs are going to be a bubble team until a few bad contracts expire and their 1st round picks from the last several years develop.

So with the ability to watch Beaulieu, Tinordi and Gallagher in the AHL, Galchenyuk in the OHL, the World Juniors and NFL football, I really won’t be that upset if the NHL locks the players out for the entire season.

11. matt jordan says:

NHL head office phone number, if you feel so inclined.

1 212 789 2000.

Might as well get as many fans as possible bombarding the NHL head office with phone calls.

If the NHL is happy to waste my time, i’m happy to do the same to them.

Get bent Bettman, get lost Fehr, a pox on both your houses.

• Bripro says:

I called:

“Welcome to the Head Office of the Fires of Hell”
      “Para español, presione uno. For English press two.” …. 2

“Your call is important to us, please continue to hold, and you will be served by our next available representative.”

….. I’m still on hold!

*********************************************

• HabFarmer says:

You sure that’s not the phone number for the Tyrell Corporation?

*******************

Bring on zee Fembaahhts!!

12. DorvalTony says:

Well there’s always the second debate. LOL

13. Chuck says:

The Bulldogs’ season can’t start soon enough for me!

___________________________________________________

14. commandant says:

Well the good news is more AHL on TVA and Sportsnet at least. Hopefully more CHL too.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

15. Don Fehr isn’t getting enough of the blame in all this…he is the players leader and he is leading them down the path of a lockout. Need I remind everyone that he led MLB players to a labor stoppage, he is no angel but he gets away with taking very little blame.

If the season is lost to another lockout he will have been no better than Goodenow…the only difference being that he will have gone into the lockout with full player support and Goodenow did it with little support.

the end result will be the same: disaster for all the people he represents. Fehr has to get off his ass and get a deal done, the best deal he can as soon as possible.

Most don’t agree with me right now but ultimately you will see that I am right. Hate Bettman all you want, the guy has the power and he knows how to use it. Fehr needs to understand this and cut a deal…it’s in his constituents best interest and he’ll be failing them if he doesn’t get something done soon.

Let the haters start hating, I am ready!

P.S. Thanks to all for vising teliopost.com in droves today!
    Today was our biggest traffic day ever! I think everyone was checking out the posted video of the KHL Hockey Girls/strippers …gives you something to do when there’s no hockey!
    Peace.
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

I actually agree with the Gist of your rant, however, I do take offense with your generalizations. Perhaps you only post and don’t read other peoples posts. There are people who post here regularly (including myself) who have often spoken of their frustration with Fehr. In fact, if you look at the poll there are people who have voted with the owners.

Rant away, we are free to rant here, but read the rest of the posts before you generalize that NO ONE else believes Fehr shoulders blame in this current labour dispute.

Edit: P.S. I didn’t visit your site today, and knowing that KHL strippers or whatever is the highlight will not encourage me to visit.

• punkster says:

I have to echo somewhat the comments of HiB and add something you may be missing in all of this. As a friend of mine pointed out to me today, Fehr has absolutely no incentive to move this thing along. He’s well aware, more so than most, that Bettman and the owners simply do not intend to blink first. So while everyone else is wringing their hands in dismay he sleeps soundly every night with the knowledge that he’ll do tomorrow exactly what he did today, as he did yesterday…nothing. Because he simply doesn’t have to do a thing until the players, through their reps, decide to cave…and they will.

It is what it is.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Old Bald Bird says:

I and everyone here is well aware that the players could have caved, but you are practically blaming them for the league locking them out. Whether you feel that the players should accept their fate or not, at least consider that the league is the aggressor in this situation.

• Lizardking89 says:

I believe both parties are in the wrong somewhat. However the owners were giving out 10 year 100 million dollar contracts a few weeks into July. They’re trying to give with one hand and take with the other. Doesn’t seem right to me.

• kairos66 says:

May I remind you that Fehr is responsible for laying the foundation
      for what is coming up to 20 years of labour peace in MLB. Once the baseball owners got the concept of revenue sharing the sport economically excelled.

Kairos66

• B says:

I don’t follow baseball anymore, but I did notice that they Yankees have a $198M payroll while the Padres have $55M payroll. I prefer the recent level of parity in the NHL. I also noticed that MLB players get about 51% of revenues. Hockey players already get a more of their sports money (~$3.3B) than baseball players get of their sports money (~7.7B)

16. HabFab says:

This “we could be playing while we negotiate” line form the players and NHLPA really is starting to irritate me! Either they are incredibly stupid (which I doubt) or they think I am. Even Ferraro called them out on it today!

The players are as pure as snow, afterall this same union endorses Chara’s hit on Max, endorses Matt Cooke continuing to be a member of the NHLPA, these guys are so hard done by. Your lack of patience for the players is very difficult to understand. ;-)

• punkster says:

Come on man, everyone knows that f’n stanchion just jumped out and hit Max. Hell, Chara was skating backwards (according to Steve Simmons of The Sun) so how could he have “hit” Max.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• B says:

It ranks right up there with the onslaught of comments in the media about how they got so screwed over by the last CBA.

A note to HIO group from Hurley’s Pub!

Hi Ian,

You’re still welcome anytime at Hurley’s, as well as any in your wonderful HIO group.

Damn Lockout!

Rod

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

18. Dr.Rex says:

Anyone ever notice that whenever Bettman is caught on camera at a hockey game he is always babbling in the ear of the poor sucker sitting beside him. Never once is he watching the game since he clearly has zero interest in the sport of hockey. He is probably so bored that he is even willing to talk to his old buddy Bob Godenow rather then have to live through a period of hockey. This is the fool that is in charge of the future of our beloved game.

19. kempie says:

Need help. Does anyone know what might be wrong with my fridge?

HIO Summit Official Cancellation Notice

This is important,
    I spoke to all our venues yesterday!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

21. Mavid says:

yesss checked my channels I have TVA in HD…

22. frontenac1 says:

Whip-de-frickin-do! An All-Star game with no All-Stars! Are you kidding me? Televise OHL, QMJHL, or AHL for Chri*t Sakes!

23. Ron says:

@Bripro from previous thread. TVA Sports has acquired the french rights to the Bulldogs games. They plan to telecast there first game with the Oct 20th Bulldogs/Marlies one.

• Bripro says:

But I believe that’s on their cable network, right?
      It’s part of the “enhanced” french package with Bell.
      Me no have.

*********************************************

• Ron says:

Not sure as to which package would contain it. I had seen it on a twitt. I’m in NB and Rogers has removed my free RDS from my HD package, the bastards. I now will be required to pay each month once the league begins.

24. HabFab says:

Shoot out to Boone…missing you dude and hope your enjoying retirement.

25. HabFab says:

Some highlights from last nights Bulldog camp scrimmage in Sherbrooke;

26. Bripro says:

New thread…. new news? Oh well, here’s wishing!

*********************************************