Rangers win in triple-OT, Nashville bounces back

Holtby
The Line of the Night was posted on Twitter:
The game between New York and Washington went so late the only people watching the ending were Andrei Kostitsyn and Alexander Radulov

Marion Gaborik, mired in an eight game slump, scored 15 minutes into the third overtime period to give the Rangers a 2-1 win in the game and the series.

Playing on home ice without suspended night owls Kostitsyn and Radulov, Nashville beat Phoenix 2-0.

For the benefit of those who went to bed too early to see Marc Bergevin being served poutine on L’Antichambre, here are some mind-blowing stats from the Caps-Rangers game:

• 21 players, including Roman Hamrlik, played more than 30 minutes

• Six played more than 40

• Ryan McDonagh – the defenceman whom the predecessor of Bergevin’s predecessor traded to the Rangers – played … wait for it … 53:17! The Canadiens’ first-round draft choice in 2007 led both teams with eight blocked shots

The teams combined for 55 shots on goal

• The Caps had 59 hits – 11 by Matt Hendricks, including a cruncher on McDonagh

• Brian Boyle took 31 faceoffs and won 17 of them

• In a game that lasted 115 minutes, Rangers defenceman Stu Bickel played 3:24

•  •  •

Some takes on Marc Bergevin:

Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone and Pat Hickey in The Gazette

Michael Farber

Sean Gordon

Bertrand Raymond

Richard Labbé

Marc De Foy

Bergevin was emotional to the point of tears while talking, during L’Antichambre, about his Point St. Charles parents, who didn’t live to see their son become general manager of the hometown team. Check this video: Marc Bergeron: Homme de coeur

1. AH says:

So the new coach has to be bilingual. When is the “best available” coach versus the “best bilingual” coach battle starting on here?

And once they get their bilingual coach in place, if they start sucking again, how long before it’s “fire Bergevin”!?

LOL!

2. frontenac1 says:

Shiram, by the 3rd period I couldn’t see much anyway.Ole,Ole!!!

• shiram says:

Hehe I guess that’s fine, but it was my first Bell Center game, and I was quite annoyed.
      I also got vomitted on that night… and Habs lost to the Panthers I think it was.

3. habsfan0 says:

Down to earth, wears his heart on his sleeve, charming, very likeable, bit of a clown.

I miss Gomer Pyle!

4. ZepFan2 says:

“Melnick is playing him some Point St Charles song”

Okay, I’ll bite. What’s a Point St-Charles song? Welcome to the Jungle?

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Stormin says:

Mitsou bye bye mon cowboy, no just joking

It was some song sounded like some church ladies , singing some thing like we are Point St Charles over and over again , i cant find it online

• ZepFan2 says:

Wow, talk about an awkward moment.

I’ll try and see if I can find it. If not I’ll ask around here about it.

Thanks Stormin!

———————————————————————-
        “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Stormin says:

No prob Zep let me know if you find it, it was maybe from the Y went something like we dont care about all the rest of Canada , were from point st charles was kind of funny actually, little awkward for Bergevin

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Tremble in fear.

RDS headline today:

“Michel Therrien serait-il l’homme de Marc Bergevin?”

I was afraid to click on the link.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

6. frontenac1 says:

Watched a game up in the X Zone at the Bell Center once.They sell tallboys and the X girls really get things going up there. It was a Hoot!!!

• shiram says:

My experience from the Moslon Ex zone was that those girls are always jumping and blocking my view, and she kept asking me questions about the game, was kind of annoying really.

7. alfieturcotte says:

Re: Carey Price.

He’s has 3 so so/below average seasons (including 2012) and only one truly very good season (2011 — year in which he failed to deliver beyond round #1).

He does not deserve the 7-10 year/$7MM salary. Remember, with Halak around, he played himself out of a starting job in consecutive seasons. Please, no excuses for 2012……I don’t care who played in front of him. By the logic of the Price revisionists, Cole/DD/Mac Pac/Moen/Gorges should have had sub par seasons too. After all, they too played for a last placed team.

Keep the tenor short (4 years) and if he produces, pay him what he deserves. I see no reason to reward Price for the “potential” as opposed to actual results. Imagine if the Price pessimists are correct; it will be worse than Gomez.

• Habsrule1 says:

The difference is as a goalie, you need decent defense and the bottom line is Price did not have it. He’s been an All-Star 2 or 3 times already, and he wins the Molson Cup every month. He is by far our MVP, and should and will get paid as such.
      I’m thinking 5 years, between $25M-$30M. I agree that he should not get $6M+ per season.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

I have to discount those Molson Cup wins. It’s become a popularity contest because the fans vote for it. There would have been a time when Theodore would have won it month after month and he never won more than 1 playoff series in a row either.
        Price has had 1 excellent season. 2010/11. Didn’t make it out of the 1st round, but did lose in 7 to the (GAG!! cough, cough!!!)eventual Cup Winners.
        His D corps, especially this past season, was 1/2 good and 1/2 bad. Having Diaz, Weber and Kaberle = 1 more goal against per game minimum.
        Price for 5 seasons at $5mil is okay for our thoroughbred. More would be folly.

8. ed lopaz says:

to Habsrule (because this site does not allow me to reply where the comment is)

I can not count how many moves I have supported that have gone wrong!!

Being a Habs fan these last 20 years has been a humbling experience.

I like the Bergevin move.

He is cut from the “right” cloth – meaning, like a Chomedey boy, guys from the “Pointe” were not born successful, they “earned it”.

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree. He seems like the perfect candidate so far…! I like his personality for this team. He seems to want, as Molson does, for this team to get back on track and compete every year for the Cup. It just remains to be seen if he can do it. The first few moves will tell us (hiring more local & pro scouts, his choice for coach, etc).
      Never been so excited for the draft, free agency, and pre-season!

Go Habs Go!!

9. frontenac1 says:

Cal, you’re probably right.Oh well…….sigh…..

10. habsfan0 says:

Marc Bergevin stated there’s no deadline as far as hiring a head coach.

I would suggest the opening game in October as the absolute drop dead date.

11. JoeC says:

I still cant believe all the hate still going for Molson, MB, Price, Gainey etc .

Some people on here will never be happy till Patrick Roy Buys the habs, becomes GM, Coach, and trades Price away and suits up and plays net for the Habs.

Wow, i guess we have to accept the hate is part of being a habs fan?

12. frontenac1 says:

Good job Geoff hiring Bergevin!Now could you please keep those Forum hot dogs,lower the beer price and consider Ice Girls.I know I am obsessing,but I will get over it!

• Cal says:

Ice Girls are for American teams with no hockey history. Montreal has Chez Paree.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah… Ice Girls seem to fly in the face of the history and institution that is Les Canadiens de Montreal.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I say we start a new tradition. One where we openly objectify women. One where we drool over, and mentally undress someone elses attractive daughter. This is Montreal, for gosh sakes. The place of legendary strip clubs. Ahh, ok, that was fun. In all honesty, I am against the cheerleader style girls (i.e hurricanes), but if we replace the older men who clean the ice in the stupid track suites with younger pretty girls, I have no problems with it. I don’t see how that constitutes a tradition.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Microbrews.

At market price.

That will win back my custom, Geoff.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

13. Propwash says:

With the new GM, Head Coach, ect ect falling into place, I’d actually give Gomez another shot, basing on the potentiality that a whole new playing system being implemented. The d-corps needs an overhaul bigtime however.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• shiram says:

Training camp should be his last shot at making the Habs NHL squad, if he does not impress there, he can buy boots for the Bulldogs.

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s actually an interesting idea. He may do better with the right system. Perhaps give him 30 games to prove himself, then send him down if he still has 0 goals and 3 assists?

Go Habs Go!!

• RGM says:

Your patience with that particular player borders on getting you a nomination for sainthood, my friend. I was in that position with Gomez a year ago – give him the first quarter of the season to show us what he’s got. He clearly didn’t have it, and he was taking it away from his linemates. I think that his time here is at an end.

Agree with you on the blueliners, and I’m confident that will be the area where we see considerable change this summer. Markov, Gorges, Subban, and Emelin I would consider locks to be on the team, but that leaves 2-3 spots open for competition/trades/signings.
      ———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Propwash says:

Well, something clicked with Gomez at one point at his career. If the Habs coaching staff can find out what would be mutually beneficial, then he could be productive again, which is a win win scenario. Whatever strategies Martin and Cunny were doing, obviously was not working. Sometimes you have to exploit whatever assets you have, and adjust your system to accommodate their strengths, that’s how I view how coaching should be done anyway.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• kempie says:

It’s possible that’s true, but in light of a new CBA coming down with a possible Gomez clause, if the window opens briefly for a buyout without cap penalty, then we must throw Gomez out that window. To miss that opportunity because we think he deserves another chance would be brutal at best.

• New says:

Another shot for Gomez sounds like a good idea. Were you thinking Kostitsyn Radolov type shots or 12 guage?

14. shiram says:

Torres thinks his suspension is too long, will go into appeal about it.

15. Habsrule1 says:

It amazes me how much hate some of you have.
    I’ve listened to Melnick for about 20 years and he’s always been a treat to listen to. He knows about sports but he’s so much more than that.
    To think you talk like you do about someone cause they disagree with you or cause they play a song you think they shouldn’t (I thought it was funny, but a bit too long) is completely unbelievable….something I’d seriously expect from 10 year olds.

Go Habs Go!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Couldn’t agree more!

• Bripro says:

Thank you!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Puh-leaze … everyone knows about sports.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Stormin says:

Melnick just messed up with that song, and I bet he would admit it , it was quite awkward. Definitely love his Baseball knowledge and his music selections. Just like any show its supposed to be entertaining which means you are supposed to disagree with the content at times.

• boing007 says:

I have heard good comments and analysis from just about every hockey analyst and sports broadcaster in North America. That includes Kypreos, Healey, Todd, Boone, both Simpsons, Hughson, Ferraro … you name them.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

16. commandant says:

The shilling for McGuire by many of the regular 990 personalities including the morning show yesterday, Marinaro and Melnick has been a bit over the top. Seemed to me they wanted their buddy in the chair and to become “insiders”.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Hobie Hansen says:

Doesn’t matter what the team 990 says. McGuire came in 2nd place and he didn’t even apply for the job. Wish him all the luck.

• Stormin says:

Very Rarely do you apply for A GM position, normally you are referred to the team, and or the team will contact you to determine your interest.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya I heard Pierre say that yesterday too…

• Stormin says:

I thought Pierre McGuire handled himself amazing in that interview, he was very contrite and insightful on the whole process. It was quite an interesting interview, nice to hear him talk about his friends and family and support he received, it is not easy losing your dream job and especially going through the interview process in front of so many critics and supporters.

• twocents says:

The rumour is McGuire was never a serious candidate. Savard and Molson decided the best way to keep the pro-McGoo media horde subdued was to make on like they gave him a real hard look. The fact is if Bergevin hadn’t worked out, McGuire would have still been second place, just to another candidate.

Very savvy on the part of Molson and Savard.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Guess you had your radio, television and computer switched off yesterday ?

• Bripro says:

Where did this rumour come from? That’s the first I’ve heard of it.
          Please indulge us.

• GrimJim says:

Actually as someone who worked in corporate communications for 15 years, that is exactly the strategy I would have advised if I wanted to keep McGuire under wraps. The team wants to find the best possible candidate. You know he’s the people’s candidate, so he has to be included otherwise it won’t appear that the team has conducted a search of every possible avenue. You also know that with his media connections and appearances that the moment he is told that he is eliminated he will be in the media talking about the process and his experience. But you also know that he isn’t going to talk about anything while he is still in the running because that would be detrimental to his candidacy. Moreover, he has advocates in the media who will likely poison the atmosphere around the search if he is eliminated too early in the process in their opinion. So you include him as a candidate. If he does well then he moves through legitimately (and given his knowledge and media training, he would likely interview well). But if he doesn’t, you just add him on as an extra candidate (four finalists instead of three) until the very end of the process. That way the search committee doesn’t have to deal with (1) the process being exposed mid way through by his comments (2) the process and the eventual winner being painted in a poisoned light by his media advocates. All the team loses is the time in interviewing and the costs in flying him to the interview site. It’s Macheavellian in design but gee, big business has never sacrificed a single person for their own gain before have they?

• Stormin says:

That is true and it would be a lie if they said otherwise, in the long run the whole TSN 990 connection definitively worked against McGuire, especially when you have someone as intelligent as Geoff Molson deciphering the right thing to do for this organization.

• Cal says:

I’m just glad Mr. Monster wasn’t hired. Aside from Randy Tieman, TSN Radio is filled with tired hacks. What real team anywhere would consider any of them for a job? Why, it’s none.

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t see it the way you do commandant. Not at all.

Mcguire took a lot of heat, especially here at HIO, for coming out publicly, early on, and regularly, to criticize Gainey and then Gauthier’s love for supposed “speed” but no size and very little grit

Mcguire was ridiculed on this site every time he pointed out Gauthier’s mistakes, and they were numerous and ridiculous.

All the while Melnick is listening and very often agreeing.

So was I listening, agreeing, and taking a lot of heat from guys on this site who no longer post.

I used to say “I support my country that doesn’t mean I support the current government. I love the Habs but not the current management”.

Man did I take heat.

How could I criticize Gomez, for example, when he was such a fine “team player”, who had won 2 Cups, and who was one of the great “assists” centreman in the game??

Like I said most of the Gomez supporters have since disappeared or shut down.

But Mcguire exposed his critical opinions to public scrutiny.

And for this he earned Melnik’s respect.

Your insinuation that Melnik wanted to become an insider is an attack on Melnik’s character and an attack on Mcguire’s integrity – which you have every right to do in our great and free society.

I, politely, disagree.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Hang on.

You took heat for criticizing Scott Gomez?

Criticizing Scott Gomez on H I/O is a lonely courageous battle?

Criticizing Scott Gomez on H I/O opens one up to ridicule?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

yes. that’s right. when the trade was first made it was a “sin” to criticize Gainey on this site in any shape or form.

Gainey was a God.

And if Gainey wanted Gomez, he had his “reasons” for it.

I wish I would have kept the posts.

They were from some of the “regulars”, some of the guys who are actually “tweeting” now, and “blogging”, and some who are still with us here at HIO, but shall remain nameless, because my parents brought me up to take the “high road”.

• Habsrule1 says:

I’ll admit I was a defender of the move. I thought, and still do, that he got Gomez in hopes of getting other high profile players to sign here. It worked, but that did not make it a good move.
            Bottom line is I was wrong. I never thought Gomez would be this bad.
            By many HIO posters’ standards, I should be burned at the stake for that, or any and every other mistake I’ve made.
            Try not hating people, players, coaches, managers and media just because they don’t get everything right like you do (message to the masses, not to you).

Go Habs Go!!

• Habsrule1 says:

They simply said what they felt. The Habs agreed with a lot of it also or he would not have been so close to getting the job.
      McGuire also handled his time on TSN990 like a true pro yesterday. He wished Bergevin the best and also stated he believed he would get a good chance and do a good job. He even basically admitted he would be taking a pay cut but that the job and the Habs meant that much to him.
      Class act. Nothing less.

Go Habs Go!!

17. Mr. Biter says:

What say you:
    Find a team in the East willing to take Luongo and Borque for anyone, then approach Cancuks and offer Gomez for Luongo even up but only if we can get rid of Luongo first. He has no real value to Canucks (who will want to sign Cory S). Would open up lots of cap space , but of course Borque would score 30 goals next year somewhere else.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• shiram says:

Alot of wishful thinking, Canucks might not get top talent for Bobby Lou, but they are getting something better than than Albatross Gomez and Half-heart Bourque.

• Hobie Hansen says:

As much as Vancouver might like to get rid of Luongo they’re not going to bring in a player to replace him who will get booed on his first shift like Gomez. And especially with the contract Gomez has either.

Vancouver could get something good back for Luongo, why would they want Gomez?

• Cal says:

Luongo’s contract makes any deal for him involving Montreal untenable. The Gomez for Luongo is exchanging a short term headache (2 seasons of way too high a cap hit) for 10 years of the same. Not worth even contemplating.

I’d give Bourque another shot with a new coach. He is a 20 goal scorer type. If he fails, then move him.

• RGM says:

Mike Gillis called and asked why you think he’s a complete moron.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Mr. Biter says:

Guys re-read post. 3 team trade. We trade Gomez for Luongo neither us or Canucks gonna get much for either player) then trade Luongo and Borque to another team for someone of some talent.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

18. Bripro says:

Tony Marinaro and Normand Flynn on the same broadcast, listening to one boast about the other.
    If those two blowhards were in the same room, they could feasibly cause a mini-tsunami.
    And Marinaro asked Geoff Molson earlier if he was on his top-20 list. Which was predictably followed by dead air.
    How Marinaro ever got that job…..boggles the mind.

19. shiram says:

If Price got the same deal as Bryzgalov, it would be a better contract than Bryzgalov’s.

• Cal says:

Not really. The salary and the term are out of whack for what Price has accomplished. Then again, it was out of whack for what Bryzgalov has accomplished, too.

• shiram says:

What I’m saying is, it’s more out of whack for Bryz than it would be for Price.
        A 9 year deal is better with a younger Price, than a 31 year old Bryz.
        Besides, a 5.6millions cap hit is not that bad for a top goalie nowadays.

20. kempie says:

I just got the forbidden message again and I remembered something I read here the other day. Somebody said that, if you hold down the shift key while clicking on the refresh button, it would fix it. Well, it did. I’m impressed. Thank you, whoever you are.

21. Stormin says:

LOL Normand Flynn certainly just shit the bed in that segment on TSN radio oh my god who pays these guys,

• Captain aHab says:

He came across as having an axe to grind.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• mdp2011 says:

what did he say?

• Stormin says:

Criticized RC for not quitting when demoted to Assistant. Started laughing at the idea of going from head coach to assistant saying no one has ever done that , off hand instantly i thought of Larrry Robinson and Tony Granato. Jim Playfair. He Said something to the effect that you would only go from head coach to assistant coach, if you were in an interim position, DA that is exactly what Cunneyworth was interim, he was making no sense.

Furthermore if you think about it why would Cunneyworth quit until he has other employment, Flynn came across like Cunneyworth should have quit insatntly soon as he was demoted.

• Mr. Biter says:

A paycheck is a paycheck and prehaps there was talk about RC Head Coaching in Hamilton.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Stormin says:

They may not have any intention of keeping RC, maybe Hamilton or assistant maybe not, but he did not deserve to be fired, and why is Flynn so adamant that he should quit, RC does not own a brewery, at least i dont think so, maybe if RC gets an offer he can then leave on his terms without losing a paycheck.

Looks like Marc Bergevin knows how to treat people.

• Mr. Biter says:

Prehaps he gets another offer then he can resign and everyone saves face.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• mdp2011 says:

Thanks for filling me in. Gotta love some of the people who work in Media in Quebec, there are some real gems.

• Habfan10912 says:

Stormin, hought the same thing. Between him this morning and Melnick’s interview with MB yesterday afternoon were radio at its worse. I thought Melnicks playing of some stupid song at the end was amateuristic.

———————————–

• Stormin says:

Melnick thought he had something so cool with that song, Bergevin is probably working on 3 hours sleep for the past week, and Melnick is playing him some Point St Charles song for which seemed like way too long.

22. alfieturcotte says:

While MB seems like a good guy, he has very little experience. I was also not too impressed with his answers to the tougher qns. He fell back too frequently on his first day on the job go to line…..I can only hope that he surrounds himself with a very well seasoned and intelligent team.

• RGM says:

Did you know everything about your place of employment and its personnel on the first day of your job in upper management?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Max says:

You had your fire Gauthier tag going for months, and now are ready to hate on Bergevin,a guy who’s only been on the job for a day. How long before you come out with FIRE BERGEVIN FIRE BERGEVIN FIRE BERGEVIN tag? I guess some people love to complain and find faults with everything.

• alfieturcotte says:

Lol, not yet Max unless Bergevin disappoints. Let’s see how he handles the free agents, Gomez, and trades. The proof will be in “le pudding”. Love to complain —ummm yes, especially with the Gainey/Gauthier track records.

Bergeron is inexperienced but deserves the benefit of te doubt…..for now. If he fails to surround himself with a savvy and seasoned assistant, that will be strike one. If he makes trades a la Gainey/Gauthier, then you are correct, I will be calling for his firing. No complaining, just calling it as I see it. Take off your blinders and perhaps you would have been calling it as I did until I was proven right.

23. saf says:

Just wondering out loud…. Does the hiring of a local bilingual and outgoing gm coupled with the visible demotion of RC mean that there is a chance the Habs now will hire the best coach available regardless of language skills?

24. PureGuava says:

How could Gainey and Gauthier be so wrong about McDonagh and so right about Price?

Answer: They were wrong in both instances.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

• alfieturcotte says:

I agree. Price is very very overrated…..MB statement yesterday that Price is key has me worried that they will throw too much money and too many years at Price.

If I were the GM, I would lock in PK long term and keep Price’s deal at 3 or 4 years max in the $4MM range.

• Chuck says:

Ahhh… nothing like some random Thursday hate….

They obviously were right about McDonagh, considering they drafted him.

___________________________________________________

Add to that, I seem to recall reading somwhere that Gainey and Gauthier are no longer running the team.

• PureGuava says:

No hate Chuck. Carey Price may turn out to be an amazing goalie someday – and he may turn out to be the next Felix Potvin. These are the facts people. I would love it if Price marched this team into the cup finals – Hell, i might even buy a #31 jersey, but he hasn’t done anything remotely close at this point. Let’s not give him the keys to the city and ‘Gomez’ money right now….all i’m saying.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
        - Robert Anton Wilson

• mdp2011 says:

“I would love it if Price marched this team into the cup finals” Funny, I always thought hockey was a team sport, silly me. Yes you are correct, it is soley the responsibilty of Carey Price to drag this team to the cup finals while the other 21 players on the team sit back and scratch their butt.

• boing007 says:

Baloney.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Max says:

Post of the year right here. Glad to see someone on here still uses a brain.

• PureGuava says:

They are few and far between.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
            - Robert Anton Wilson

25. Captain aHab says:

Listening to Normand Flynn making a fool of himself on TSN 990 right now….when you make Marinaro look bright compared to you, you have more issues than Scotties has tissues. The way Marinaro made him look like a fool live, there can’t be any love between them.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Wonder if it would be possible if every day HI/O put up a thread under which anyone that wants to lament about past Canadiens could post there. Perhaps there the concept of what led to trading Rod Langway could once and for all be fleshed out.

27. Habfan10912 says:

Maybe its my Utopia attitude caused by the GM hiring but in listening to Geoff Molson its obvious the man reeks class.
    ———————————–

• Mr. Biter says:

How opinions about Geoff have changed since yesterday and Yes I like the hiring to.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

I think in fairness to Geoff, he had to watch for a year or two and let things play out. I don’t think it was overly fair for Geoff to be blamed for the past season or two. He has now started to make changes to his team. It appears he did alot of watching, observing and now will implement his changes.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s a lot easier to reek class once you reek of family money:-)

28. frontenac1 says:

Happy and excited with the new GM! Resume is excellent.Attitude is excellent.Communication appears excellent.Savard said his judgement is excellent,so I buy that,just one question.Why can’t we have Ice Girls?Man I still can’t get over how that Pred Ice Girl handled that live catfish last night!

29. boing007 says:

Ryan McDonagh. What a player.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

30. habsnyc says:

I agree with the poster who hopes that the new GM takes thing slowly. The secondary issue is personnel. The primary issue is style of play and culture. Following whatever is working across the league today will take five years to implement and by then will be a strategy that is five years out of date.

Bergevin will win or lost not on personnel but on choosing the right style of play at all levels of the organization and the right people to coach that style of play. Get the strategy and culture right and it will all flow from there. Stable and consistent execution against a well conceived hockey strategy is primary. Marrying that with good management of the salary cap and agility in the face of the unexpected will restore the luster to this organization. If Bergevin takes even minor steps to implement a positive culture and reasonable strategy, I will be a big fan.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

31. Bripro says:

Tony Marinaro will be interviewing Geoff Molson on TSN990 in 5-10 minutes.

32. rogieshan says:

McGuire should be pleased looking ahead into his future. He has now positioned himself to be next in line to succeed Bergevin as GM (unless Molson decides to sell the team before then). For now, he gets to keep his high-profile, TV job, spend quality time with his family, and scrutinize the Habs even more closely until his turn comes.

• commandant says:

If McGuire wanted to position himself for a GM job, he would take an Assistant GM job somewhere in the league. Yes it might be a paycut from NBC, but it would still be in the high six figures.

Sometimes we have to make sacrifices if we truly want the prize and McGuire has called GM of the Habs his “dream job.”

If he continues to be a broadcaster he gets further and further removed from his time in NHL management, and there are other up and coming assistant GMs and directors of player personel, etc… who will pass him in the meantime.

Again its easy for him to criticize from the sidelines, and say what decisions he would have made. These comments have no consequences. Its a lot more pressure and a lot tougher when you are actually in management, and Pierre McGuire hasn’t been there in 15 years. Basically the same amount of time as Serge Savard has been out of NHL management.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Perhaps the NHL will go back to Hartford and they can give Pierre a Do-Over. :)

• ABHabsfan says:

Very well put, I was going to post the same thing before reading yours. If PM wants the GM job, why not call up Bergevin and ask if he can help or be part of his management team. Same for Patrick Roy IMO; if he wants to be an NHL coach, try and get an AHL job first.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• LNev says:

How long was John Davidson an announcer before became President of the Blues?
      I know a Pres and GM are different animals, but (aside from Buck Martinez) it’s the closest parrallel I can draw.

33. Ali says:

That RDS vid blew me away. what a great guy. Whatever his GM abilities, we have a genuinely good person running our team.

• Habsssssssswin says:

Remember what Leo said about nice guys ….

As long as he, first and foremost, improves the team quality.
      The NHL is a “size and speed” league. Let’s hope he addresses
      that first off. As for coaching….Not Old School, please.

34. HabsFanMTL says:

hmm who will he pick as coach…..Roy? Hartley? Crawford?……

What is MB’s middle name? Is it something that starts with A?

36. habsfaninboston says:

Good morning y’all.
    Is the honeymoon over yet?

37. Les Canayens says:

No more Mr. this, Mr. that anymore! Yea!

38. HabsFanMTL says:

well i’ll wait and give Bergevin a chance. Theres one thing though that confuses me, we were told he was a great communicator, yet did you see the press conference? He could hardly finish one line in english without finishing it in french cause he couldn’t find the words, then he couldn’t finish a line in french and ended it in english cause he couldn’t find the words. May not be anything…..just a thought

• Les Canayens says:

Notice that too. Maybe he’s nervous? Maybe Jacques Beauchamps prepped him on what to say and what not to say, so he had to follow those directives? He usually speaks more fluently in other interviews.

• Ali says:

isn’t that quintessential quebec? franglais? i thought he did a great job, when he couldn’t find the right expression in english, he said it in french and vice versa. it was like talking to a regular guy.

• shiram says:

He’s been used to speaking english all the time for quite a while, so it’s normal that he trips back to english once in a while.
        Besides, this was a media thing, I’d rather his communication skills be within his organisation and with other GM’s and such.

• Mr. Biter says:

I used to be fluent in German but have not really spoken it much lately so when I do you try to translate from German to English then back to German and half the time I also answer in the wrong language. Not a problem lets hope his ideas work in both French and English.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Bripro says:

Some years ago, I moved to Longueuil, on the south shore of Mtl.
      I was at the time a displaced anglophone (although bilingual).
      In the 4 years I lived there, I lost some of my english, to my father’s mortification.
      When you’re away from a linguistic influence, believe it or not, you can lose some of it.
      But it’s like riding a bike. He’ll get that ease of speech back in no time.

• Habfan10912 says:

You may have confused public speaking skills with communication. When people labled him as a good communicator because he talks to his employees. Get looks them in the eye and explains what his expectations are. Always willing to take questions, seek suggestions and generally makes people feel comfortable talking to him. Public speaking is for politicians and preachers. :)

———————————–

• twocents says:

There’s more to being a good communicator than being entirely fluent and/or articulate.

He gets his point across clearly and directly. He doesn’t speak in cliches and euphemisms. He seems approachable and likeable. He has a sense of humour and he is sure of what he wants to say and what he doesn’t want to say. He doesn’t bullsh*t and he isn’t evasive. Those are all good communicator qualities.

• boing007 says:

I often have the same problem. He’s just trying to be ‘accomodating’ to the language issue in Quebec.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

39. JayK-47 says:

Anyone else curious as to what the Twitter Line of The Night is?

Edit: Neverrrrrmind. I’m an idiot.

40. Thomas Le Fan says:

Count me as one who is glad that Mr. Molson didn’t choose the “Penis with Ears”, Pierre McGuire. Habs fan or not, I see more than enough of him as it is. Bergevin appears to be a good choice but this year shows that nobody knows nothing as far as hockey goes.
    So AK is a selfish, non-team player? No news there. Have to wonder if like so many of his Russian brethern, alcohol might be a major problem. Glad he’s gone.
    Go Habs!

41. Hobie Hansen says:

Although I was pulling for McGuire, the Bergevin hiring makes a lot more sense especially after seeing his demeanor and learning what went on during the hiring process. McGuire explained the entire hiring process of receiving emails, jumping on several different flights , and meeting management in several different cities on the Team 990 yesterday. The Canadiens did a very extensive search and came up with the right guy for sure.

What really impressed me about Bergevin was when Ron McLean asked him what he thought of the makeup of the team the past three seasons. Bergevin stated that finesse players are important but heart, character and toughness seemed to be lacking.

He also said that he isn’t in a rush to throw young players into the lineup and that you often hear about a player that was brought up too early but rarely hear about a player that was left down too long.

Early prognoses is that the Canadiens hired the right guy this time instead of just throwing someone in there on a whim.

• D Mex says:

Your point about early prognosis is well taken.
      It seems probable to me that the 2011-2012 season, meaning the entire season and not simply the final standings, may have served as a wakeup call to Habs ownership that success is no longer a divine right, and the fanbase at large is tuned / tuning into this.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

42. shiram says:

So the general concensus seems to be that hiring Mister Bergevin was the right move, from what little we have seen of him, he seems like a charismatic and hard working guy and his roots as a “tit gars de chez nous” are clearly showing.
    The poll points to 92% of HIO’ers being happy with the decision, and I am too.
    But untill he starts making moves, we have nothing really concrete to evaluate him on.

• New says:

I suspect lots of folks are happy a decision was made and changes can begin happening. I agree with you. The only thing you can judge Bergevin on so far is his ability to handle stress, physical and mental, with grace, humour, and calmness.

43. mark_ID says:

Did anyone happen to catch an interview with Pierre McGuire, where he is discussing not getting the position of GM…..and he mentions how he “loves the Montreal Canadiens” and he wanted to put them on the right track again?

I for one was shocked so see him say he loves the Habs….sure hasn’t seemed like it watching him on TV the last few years.

I am sure he will be harsher then ever, towards our boys now.

Q: Who put the gold in the Alaskan Bering Sea?

A: Scott Gomez

• Bripro says:

He’s always been very passionate about the Habs.
      Personally, I think he also had the pedigree to lead the team, but alas…
      I’m not disappointed with Geoff Molson’s selection, but obviously, time will tell.

• shiram says:

Sometime love turns to hate, when you love something you can’t have.

Montreal’s off-season game plan as per TSN.

“Taking all of the challenges into consideration, Bergevin still moves into a good situation as a first-time GM. While the high-profile job bring with it a lot of scrutiny, getting into the Habs’ front office now is the equivalent of buying low on a stock. If Bergevin turns it around, he’ll be lauded and the rewards will be great.”

Shouldn’t you be golfing today? It’s gorgeous out there today!

• New says:

Thanks. It is always interesting to read an analysis. But it is just that, opinion:-). For instance he reports Ellis is a defensive D-man while Beaulieu may be ready to force his way into the NHL . Yet Ellis when traded scored at more than a point a game clip and was +21. Much better stats than Beaulieu on the defending champs.

All to say it is never a level playing field and with a new GM, coaches, and attitude I think all bets are off. Cullen’s analysis included.

45. Marcusman says:

Can we all please get over the fact that we traded away Ryan McDonagh…he’s spilt milk. Get over it….we also traded Halak…the smaller, older goalie on the team. Move on…..

46. Bripro says:

Hi! I’m Marc Bergevin, the new GM.
    I was hired yesterday. But last night I read some of the panic posts at HIO.
    I quit!

Good Morning Marc! Before you quit can you just quickly fire off a legal letter to that little wiener Louis Jean who says you are buying out Gomez thus screwing our cap.

• Bripro says:

I’m not in a position to comment on th….
        Oh wait. Yeah….my name’s not Pierre Gauthier.

• mdp2011 says:

Louis Jean was not the one who claimed he had knowledge of the Habs buying out Gomez, he was just reporting what Dave Morrisette said on TVA. It was Morrisette who claimed that Gomez was going to be bought out, not Louis Jean. I just love when ex-players try to turn into Woodward and Bernstein.

• Les Canayens says:

Boom! 4682 comments instantly at HIO.

47. twocents says:

I like what I’ve seen so far from Bergevin. What a breath of fresh air after the Goat.

Let’s sit back and see what he does between now and the start of next season.

I think Vigneault would be an excellent choice for coach if he were to be available.

• Bripro says:

Breath of fresh air indeed. More smiles in 60 minutes than the Goat offered in two years.
      And he was disappointed that GM didn’t bring food.
      I guess that means that the press will have ample supply of cookies.

• 24 Cups says:

Eric – I was hoping Vigneault woudl get fired after Vancouver exited in the 1st round. He would certainly head any list of possible coaches for Montreal. Alas, I don’t see that happening now.

• twocents says:

Why Steve? You figure if they haven’t fired him yet, they won’t?

• 24 Cups says:

If the coach was going to take the fall then I figured it woud be done right away.

They are obviously going to get a player back for Luongo and they can’t move the Sedins so it’s tough to know what they will do. The system is also a bit bare.

The clock is ticking.

• kempie says:

A little patience. The fire’s still not out in Van. I believe it will smoulder for a while yet.

If indeed the team hires Rick Dudley, i always thought Dudley looked a bit like James Brolin when he was starring in that classic TV Series, Hotel.

We could have Brolin and Goldblum running the Habs.

They say that newly elected presidents have 100 days to make their mark and set out a new agenda.

Marc Bergevin has a new five year contract. I wonder if there was any discussion about the team having the patience to wait a year before really implementing major changes (in terms of player personnel). It just might be the best course of action.

At this exact point in time there are no available UFAs that could make a difference in Montreal. As well, there are no young prospects who can realistically make the team next year. Alll the kids who are ready are here right now. There also is the uncertainty of the new CBA and a possible lockout. Not to mention that the 2013 draft may be a deep pool of talent.

Does Bergevin (and Savard/Molson) have the stones to sit tight and add more pieces at a later date? Or will they succumb to pressure and feel the need to act immediately, even if it means making desperate moves based on an ill-fated time line?

I’d be quite happy if Bergevin hired a new coaching staff, focused on the team’s 3rd and 33rd picks and plugged a few holes with some cheap one year UFAs. Then call a timeout and wait until the February trade deadline to make major moves.

50. Gumper Knows Best says:

I was amazed no one asked MB the question of whether or not the Habs people are allowed to now talk publicly such as Timmins, or are they supposed to continue acting as mutes.

51. Gumper Knows Best says:

Happy the Habs are keeping Loyola Montreal guy Carriere. Between Bergevin and him, they probably know the washroom schedule of every player, coach and manager in every league. Makes things easy when you use your people the right way. Now go get Larry Robinson in New Jersey and Guy Lapointe in Minnesota to take care of all the D kids coming, and let them shine those diamonds on their cup rings in the dressing room and on the ice. It’s been too dark for 20 years.

52. Vladdy Mondavi says:

My thoughts on last night’s NYR/WSH game:
    - I’m envious of NYR promising, young D-corps (not as envious as I am of PHI developing Forwards) – wish the Habs could have 1 or 2 of those pieces.
    - Hendicks is a freaking machine – too lazy to check if he’s a UFA this summer, but I’d like to see him in a CH.
    - I’m pissed the NYR won because my bro gained 5 points on me in our playoff pool.
    - Before Gaborik scored, I was thinking – all-star, goal-scorers are all fine and dandy for the regular season, but in the playoffs bangers/grinders/opportunists are the recipe for success (… and solid goaltending).

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

53. Newf_Habster says:

After reading some news articles about the hiring of Marc Bergevin as new GM, I could not believe that the Habs had only one Quebec scout under the Gainey/Gauthier management! MB stated that he would hire a few more Quebec scouts soon so that is a right step for them!

• steve17 says:

Thta really makes me scratch my head. How can you scout the Quebec leagues with one scout? You have to scout the kids moving into the QMJHL, not just the kids in it, then there is university and tier 2!

Habfan17

• VintageFan says:

Because the Q is not producing many quality players it does not take much scouting. Some “experts” predict that there will not be a Quebec-born francophone player taken before the 5th (yes fifth) round in 2012.
        IMO the richest prospecting is in the WHL and US Colleges, but then, I’m not a linguist.

• Mike Boone says:

Gainey undervalued the QMJHL. And it is regarded as the weakest junior league in Canada.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

54. HabFanSince72 says:

MB went out of his way to say how much he enjoyed playing junior in Chicoutimi – which is interpreted as an attempt to woo Rejean Tremblay and Bertrand Raymond. He also said he’d increase the number of scouts in Quebec (a meaningless promise really).

So, sucking up to those two bigots: smart move that will buy him time when the Habs go through a rough patch, or craven sycophancy that is beneath this organization?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I always enjoy getting the hard facts from your perspective HF72, thanks bud! :)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Although I’ve always agreed that speaking French is an asset for the coach or GM (an asset not a requisite), there’s also the fact that what the Tremblay – Raymond types actually want is an ethnic Francophone in the job. (They are dinosaurs, but who better to deal with them than Jeff Goldblum?)

Their sense of entitlement is not unreminiscent of the student protests going on every evening in Montreal.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Agree, and I do appreciate your perspective, especially your candidness in describing said views.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Cheers!

Always happy to pontificate.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• boing007 says:

If it’s just a delay tactic it won’t work for very long; those guys are very good at finding new mud to fling.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

55. Marc10 says:

The McGuirians… I was wondering what PM’s booster club would be called…

I would assume they join the Halakites and the McDonaughites in second guessing everything the Habs do from here on in.

I for one am feeling pretty good about MB. All he needs to do is hire the right coach, lock up Pricey and PK at a reasonable price/term, find a way to make Kabs and Gomer magically disappear, and assist Timmins in drafting the second coming of Guy Lafleur! Oh yeah and find us a 4th line and a giant on D with a bad attitude. Piece of cake!

56. Gumper Knows Best says:

There is a good chance that Bergevin will bring the Black hawks management model to the Habs. When looking at how the Hawks stocked positions concerning scouting, player development, coaching, and everything else, you can see how far behind we were. Besides consecutive autocratic heads, the Habs did not have a complete 21st century administrative team structure and maybe that was by plan.

The Hawks set up

The Habs past set up

• JUST ME says:

Well, since the Hawks structure is a Bowman`s type of operation it would in a way bring the Habs back to old successfull ways . It is necessary to rethink scouting,player`s development ,farm team system in MTL.
      Obviously we need to redefine the mission of the organization and maybe get back to the roots of the system.We rode high and proud on our tradition and on the player`s that made it so but is the machine still providing great legends ? Of course 2012 hockey is a totally different ball game but still as long as there is place for improvements…Safe to say that in that department…

• HabFanSince72 says:

And to think they lost everything for want of a fax machine operator…

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

In fairness there are some missing names on that Habs list.

That said, it does need to be beefed up as well. As long as they hire quality in addition to the quantity. Stealing more guys who have done good jobs with other teams like Jankowski, Jay, and Rockholm would be ideal.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Scotty Bowman was on the Fan here in Toronto yesterday talking with Bob McCown about Bergevin and the pressures of Montreal.

58. Mattyleg says:

Just woke up on the sofa after falling asleep at 13:25 of the 3rd overtime.
    What happened?
    What’s going on?

Also, and more pertinently, who are the 100 people who don’t think that MB was a good hire?
    Are those the McGuirians? “Hiring Bergevin was a terrible mistake! We’ll see what happens when McGuire is hired by another NHL team, and he proves.. uh… when he’s hired, he’ll… uhhh…”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

We sure don’t go from last place to winning the CUP in a couple of years, but I feel a great sense of excitement with this man running things.

60. PrimeTime says:

A new car smell doesn’t last forever! The french media will love MB. Good job Geoff! I just hope he is as smart as he is charming.

I think sometimes things can get overthought and maybe things are much more straightforward than we think. Reality is, it is pretty clear what this team needs moving forward. By making proper player evaluations and utilizing drafts and trades to attain what is needed the team will improve.

I think hockey is a simple yet difficult game. I see Bergevin and company dumbing things down and just making simple smart decisions.

I have this feeling PG thought he could out think the rest of the league, when end of day, we needed defencemen, we needed higher compete level and some goalscoring.

61. Gumper Knows Best says:

Listening again to Geoff Molson, it was clear as to what they were looking for, and why the others not chosen didn’t fit the profile.

Molson said ” A Leader, A team player, a communicator, a winner, a man with vast experience and vision.”
    Take any of the supposed candidates, media generated or not, and each one had at least 2 of the criteria missing, if not most of the criteria.

With respect to the Brisebois or McGuire backers, I hope you understand today how far away your fellas were from the criteria package mentioned, and how our Habs would have made a fatal error in choosing 1 of them over Bergevin.
    BRAVO Geoff and Serge!

62. TommyB says:

I feel pretty comfortable with the choice for new GM. A man who played the game, and has some experience in the front office. Not as a GM, but, an assistant who was bound to claim the top job on some team very soon. Perhaps the Habs have claimed a rising star? Well, let’s give it some time, but the future (and the future is now) looks bright. Throw in the fact that he is a homeboy and bilingual, and it could be a home run.

Now, on to the coach. I really have no problem with P. Roy, should he be brought in to coach the team, except for one little thing. It would certainly appear as though the coach was already chosen ahead of the GM being chosen if we are to believe some media reports of maybe a month ago. And sometimes these media guys are right. I really hope Bergevin is allowed to select his coach, as any GM should be allowed to do. His selection might just be Patrick Roy, but it would be hard to believe that the choice was absolutely his to make. Not a major problem, but it would have the odor of interference from ownership. Regardless, I can’t wait to find out. Looking forward to some good off-season moves.

• Ian Cobb says:

Right Tommy! It should be his choice alone for sure. But we did hear reports of potential G.M. candidates being asked if they could work with Saint Patrick. So I just wonder!

• 24 Cups says:

Bringing in Partick Roy would counterbalance (and destroy) and stability that Bergevin would provide. Roy would be a loose cannon who might undermind his GM and cost us another five years.

Why take the chance?

63. PrimeTime says:

All the news of the day and with one snide remark about McDonaugh in the intro the majority of posters comment on it. When will fans get over it?it’s done, gone, move on. A new era began when PG was fired.

• Habfan10912 says:

Still hurts Prime. Speaking for myself I think it will change when 1 Gomez is no longer here and 2 the team has a high level of success.

———————————–

Thanks agree 100%, it is over. If there was ever an example for the phrase, “Crying over Spilled Milk”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. I wish it was over but Gomez is still taking up massive amounts if the teams cap hit. I sure as heck hope that the new leadership won’t ignore underperforming high cost players like Gomez and Kabrele and find creative cost effective ways to move them. And while I’m ranting, he needs to make a decision on Markov as well. Much work to do.

———————————–

I know, I just can’t keep going on and on about it. Plus, Bergevin has no ties to Gomez, he will make a decision without that sense of attachment to the initial deal. Because PG had his hands all over that trade his tail was tied to it. I think Bergevin will deal with it appropriately.

Edit: Morning Jim :)

• kempie says:

In fairness though, that was an awfully big glass of milk.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

The haters will hate and these same will never mention the Gainey theft of Josh Gorges and draft pick Pacioretty for Craig Rivest and a 5th. Of course not. Why be positive when you can wallow in past negativeness?

I think Serge Savard and Geoff Molson just hit a grand slam bringing in Bergervin. He sure looks like the real deal to me.

The Montreal Canadiens mismanagement of resources, personnel and the public, has gone on for far to many years. But my gut tells me that they will be coming to an end.

I wish him all the best, he looks like a winner to me.!

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Ian. Sounds like the guy has a solid resume for player development. The management aspect of his job will be easy for him because of his personality and interpersonal skills. Home run!

———————————–

Ian, what has me most excited is we have a GM who first and foremost was and is a hockey guy. He has charisma, he has human emotions and one has to believe that in no time he will have the CH tatooed on his heart.

Sure he is raw, and will have a learning curve, but the greatest leaders in business etc… know how to delegate and aren’t afraid to ask others for advice. Bergevin is polar opposite of that bizarre fellow who lived in Vermont and may as well have lived on the top floor of a Las Vegas Hotel for all we saw of him.

Bergevin will be accountable and he will communicate. There is no doubt in my mind the franchise took a step in the right direction. Much is too be done, but I see this new mgmt. team rolling up its sleeves and working their tail off. This in turn should also be how our team plays next year. How possibly could the players have been motivated playing for a GM who couldn’t motivate a child to play hopscotch.

I digress, the Witch is dead and hopefully we are on our way to Oz.

“13. Montreal sure went to the “hire the opposite of the guy you fired” theory in choosing Marc Bergevin to replace Pierre Gauthier. Bergevin will have a very different public persona than his predecessor, which is undoubtedly what the Canadiens want. It’s hard, though, to be that guy all the time when you’re the GM.

14. Bergevin’s strength is in scouting and player development. He’s got a good eye for talent and those he’s worked with (Troy Brouwer, for example) praise his ability to draw it out. That will be very important. He’s also been in several different roles (including assistant coach) which gives him a lot of different perspectives.

15. His lack of administrative experience is only a negative if he doesn’t surround himself with (and listen to) people who can support him. Serge Savard will be there, sounds like Rick Dudley, too, and it would be smart to keep Larry Carriere. Curious to see if he brings his own capologist or stays with what was already on staff. Capologist can be your most important position and it’s going to be critical with Carey Price and PK Subban negotiations upcoming.” (30 Thoughts)

Rick Dudley is a genius at finding and evaluating talent. This could be a major plus if it happens.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning 24. Dead on analysis. Maybe its my fandom typing but I think we hit a home run with this guy.

———————————–

• Ian Cobb says:

Steve! Bergervin’s first, class act was in calling R. Cunnyworth and telling him he will still be on the payroll yesterday morning.

I don’t understand why these Capologists or Cap Experts are so highly thought of, or why so much is made of this expertise. I do understand how the Cap works, and I realize you cannot exceed it, but it just doesn’t seem that difficult to understand it is all.

I suppose it can get a bit trickier with all the contract players one has away from the active roster and dealing with waiver restricitions etc… but the whole Capoligist thing seems overrated to me. Or perhaps because we spend too much time here on HI/O we have all become capologists, given I have capgeek.com in my favourites on my web browser!

• 24 Cups says:

Funny, I’ve thought the same thing. How hard can it be?

Then again, Dale Tallon (the wonder boy of HI/O), forgot to qualify some of his younger players which cost the Hawks a bundle of money (and cap space) and Tallon his job. He was 10 months from a Cup and fumbled the football. Argos……..

hehe, thought of the exact same example while typing my comment. I think clearly an underling dropped the ball, and Tallon being a standup guy probably took the fall for that. Kind of like when the Leafs forgot to turn on the fax machine to get their trade in by the deadline a number of years back?

• LNev says:

Potentially worth noting, though it’s (ultimately) just faceless internet rambling from a stranger…

Saw Dudley at a first round Icedogs playoff game this year… he’s a Grigorenko fan.
      A buddy (Leafs Fan) and I had a brief chat with him… pleasant guy. bad hair. BAD hair…

(Hmmm, Italics for everything? I just want them for the quote…)

66. twilighthours says:

This was posted on G&M. Anybody heard this?

the scuttlebutt was there had been a deal in the works prior to November to send Gomez to the Isles

Further an assistant coach tipped Gomez to the move and Gomez then altered his “trade to” list to exclude the Isles

Perry Pearn was then fired the next day

More reports out of Phoenix that potential sale of Yotes is getting closer, not that we have ever heard such stories before yada yada yada

68. Habs_4_ever says:

The best thing about the hiring of Marc Bergevin, so far, is that they finally changed the HIO poll question.

Before yesterday I did not know MB from a hole in the ground, but I really liked his frankness and the things he said. Now we know that he can talk the talk, let’s hope that he can walk the walk.

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commerciall-

• Habfan10912 says:

Good summary of yesterdays actions. I don’t know about you but I’m still smiling and I am filled with optimism. Bring on the Draft!

———————————–

• Habs_4_ever says:

I can’t wait for his first significant move so we can see in what direction he’s taking the team.

————————
        “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
        -This Old House, GMC commerciall-

69. HabsFansince49 says:

Watching Ryan McDonagh play, as others have pointed out on this site, is a vivid reminder of the great catch who got away or I should say ‘was given away’. It is also reminder that whereas the vast majority seem to applaud the Marc Bergevin appointment, it is naive to think he can resurrect this team in the short time. He admitted we have a solid nucleus, but a nucleus may be two or perhaps three players. And when you look at the quality of players in these playoffs, that’s about all we have – 2 maybe 3 players: Price, Subban and Max-Pac. Cole is aging but at least he brings drive and guts to each game; DD is small but also works hard and has a good head on his shoulders. Then we have players with potential (e.g. Eller) who may or may not become class players. What will happen to Markov is anyone’s guess.
    I have no doubt that Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier believed they were doing the right thing for the team, but what a rotten mess they have left. One final point – what a welcome relief to have a GM who smiles and cracks jokes and has a self-efficacy sense of humor!

• CanadienBoy says:

U forgot we got the one and only Russian who can check Emelin

• 24 Cups says:

The Gomez trade was a panic move after failing to draft a good centre, sign Sundin or make the Vinny trade.

Obtaining Gomez wouldn’t have been so bad if McDonagh hadn’t gone the other way. That’s what Gainey and Gauthier get for working in isolation. Rumour has it that Timmins was unable to speak after HEARING about the trade.

It will be really interesting to see what Vancouver gets for Luongo. He’s a much bigger star than Gomez but other teams know they have Vancouver over a barrel.

70. steve17 says:

I am happy they Hired Bergevin. Now on to the coaches. I really hope they convince Larry Robinson to come aboard as an assistant coach. Robinson has said he does not want to be a head coach, but having him working with Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu would be awesome. I know some fans are against bringing in old Habs players, but in this case, I think it makes sense!! For those who think Patrick Roy may not be the right guy to be head coach, let me say this, he would bring the attitude that is needed, the cup or nothing! win, win, win! If people are concerned about his fiery personality, just look back at Pat Burns!! from junior to the NHL, fiery and won a cup and probably would have won another if ownership hadn’t screwed up and made all those changes!! As much as I respect Cunneyworthm he is connected to the old regime and what went wrong and it may be better to move on. It would be weird to have him around under a new coach.

Habfan17

71. habs_54321 says:

in the bergevin video above i dont understand french very well what was it he was talking about that made him start crying?

• HabsinLA says:

He was talking about his childhood playing hockey, how his parents watched him play. How they both died when he was young and how when he won the cup he brought it to their grave.

72. SlovakHab says:

How did Kreider look and how many posters lamented on Leblanc being picked over him?
    Just wondering since I missed the game blogs in the last couple of weeks.

• twilighthours says:

Leblanc will never have kreider’s wheels, that’s for sure.

• 24 Cups says:

I remember that draft like it was yesterday. In fact I did a mock draft for Mike Boone to try and figure out where Leblanc would land up.

There was no question that the Habs would take Leblanc if he were available. The only question was whether or not he would make it to their draft position.

When the time arrived, there were three logical choices. Leblanc, the home grown boy, Josefson, the ultra safe two-way pivot (pick) and Kreider, the wild card who had great size and wheels.

The Habs had to pick Leblanc, end of discussion. All hell would have broken loose if they didn’t.

I find it sad that two of our arch rivals in the East now have two sets of great kids moving forward. New York has McDonagh and Kreider and Philly has Giroux and Couturier. We’ve got Leblanc and Beaulieu. Time will tell.

• commandant says:

Considering they are the same age as McDonagh (same draft year), and one year younger than Giroux, its curious our “great kids” aren’t PK Subban and Max Pacioretty.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• 24 Cups says:

Point well taken but I was playing the what if game. Both Philly and the Rangers have other great kids who were not part of any Hab moves of the past.

It was more a lament on my part that I’m going to have to watch these players go up against Montreal for the next 10 years.

McDonagh – No excuses, Montreal is guilt as charged.
          Kreider – I think my point is well taken, the Habs had no choice but to take Leblanc. However, I do take issue with the way he has been fast tracked.
          Giroux – Robert L has done extensive work on proving that Montreal would never have taken Giroux in the 1st round. It’s the Fischer part that really hurts.
          Couturier – Why didn’t the Habs engineer a deal to move up in the draft to get this kid? It’s happened many times before with the Doug Wilson move to grab Couture being a recent example.

• boing007 says:

Sorry, that’s no way to run an operation. That’s kowtowing at its finest.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

73. H.Upmann says:

Straight up, lamented with a fellow Montrealer tonight about Ryan Mcdonaugh….. There’s just no two ways about it anymore: Timmins must be pissed. You could tell something just wasn’t right about the whole organization during the centennial…. Makes the playoff run look like a freak anomaly now

• Bun E. Laroque says:

If Mcdonaugh was merely a good player it would be hard to take, but the fact that he is a stalwart, a cornerstone of that team makes it downright painful. The biggest blunder of the Gainey era by far…

• The Cat says:

I know. Whats even more maddening was that there was a need for him, not like there was a glut of D-men of that stature.

• JF says:

I’m with you. McDonagh is an absolute stud. If we had even gotten something in return for him, it wouldn’t sting so much. But he was literally given away.

74. Cal says:

Cole signed last season for 4 seasons. Where have you been?

75. RGM says:

Hello July 2011, nice of you to catch up with us here in the spring of 2012!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

76. punkster says:

Pssst…we picked up this great centre. Guy by the name of Gomez. He’s gonna be great for us

***Subbang Baby!!!***

77. HabsFanNorway says:

I’m sorry to tell you tid, but the Habs won’t make the playoffs in your upcomming 2011-12 season, but they will have the 3rd pic in june. Martin, Cammy and PG won’t be at the club in may. You should take this to your local bet dealer :)

78. kempie says:

But we had to give up Higgs. Terrible trade. Gomez is no Higgins. Plus Valententenko & Janik!!! Two excellent Dmen. Plus some other McNugget guy or something.