Rangers win in triple-OT, Nashville bounces back

Holtby
The Line of the Night was posted on Twitter:
The game between New York and Washington went so late the only people watching the ending were Andrei Kostitsyn and Alexander Radulov

Marion Gaborik, mired in an eight game slump, scored 15 minutes into the third overtime period to give the Rangers a 2-1 win in the game and the series.

Playing on home ice without suspended night owls Kostitsyn and Radulov, Nashville beat Phoenix 2-0.

For the benefit of those who went to bed too early to see Marc Bergevin being served poutine on L’Antichambre, here are some mind-blowing stats from the Caps-Rangers game:

• 21 players, including Roman Hamrlik, played more than 30 minutes

• Six played more than 40

• Ryan McDonagh – the defenceman whom the predecessor of Bergevin’s predecessor traded to the Rangers – played … wait for it … 53:17! The Canadiens’ first-round draft choice in 2007 led both teams with eight blocked shots

The teams combined for 55 shots on goal

• The Caps had 59 hits – 11 by Matt Hendricks, including a cruncher on McDonagh

• Brian Boyle took 31 faceoffs and won 17 of them

• In a game that lasted 115 minutes, Rangers defenceman Stu Bickel played 3:24

•  •  •

Some takes on Marc Bergevin:

Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone and Pat Hickey in The Gazette

Michael Farber

Sean Gordon

Bertrand Raymond

Richard Labbé

Marc De Foy

Bergevin was emotional to the point of tears while talking, during L’Antichambre, about his Point St. Charles parents, who didn’t live to see their son become general manager of the hometown team. Check this video: Marc Bergeron: Homme de coeur

1. frontenac1 says:

Hey if Magnons is still there,I can drive up from Kingston and meet you guys for “Deux Draft et un Numero Trois,Rare”!!!

2. frontenac1 says:

I used work at the Norm Silvers Moustache club on Closse when I was a student at Sir George,and we used to nip over to Dilalos for the “Buck Burger”on our breaks!

• ZepFan2 says:

The Moustache, good times…and bad.

Probably the best band I saw there was Traxis. The keyboardist, Scott Price went on to play with Walter Rossi. He’s now doing the music for the Just for Laughs shows.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

3. frontenac1 says:

I have fond memories of Roastbif at Mangnons taverne and DiLalo Burgers! It was either The Pointe or Ville Emard.Boy ,great food down there!

4. FanCritic says:

Shouldn’t pick up players or coaches other teams are trying to get rid of or has beens that’s been here before…

I have a confession to make. I have been living in the Point for 12 years now and am firmly entrenched there.

While there isn’t a great deal of UFA’s catching alot of interest this summer, it appears to be shaping up for a summer of trades.

San Jose ownership is asking their GM to make changes, we know Vancouver needs to make a big trade, of course Burke must make changes, Rick Nash wants out of Columbus and perhaps Calgary may finally make a big trade involving Iginla.

7. j2w4habs25 says:

MONTREAL CANDIENS 8TH SEED KNOCK OUT THE 1ST PLACE BRUINS
    MONTREAL CANADIENS 8TH SEED KNOCKOUT THE 2TH PLACE FLYERS
    MONTREAL CANADIENS 8TH SEED KNOCK OUT THE 4TH PLACE LEAFS

MONTREAL CANADIENS VS MINNESOTA WILD – CANADIENS WIN IN 6 GAMES ON HOME ICE AT THE BELL!!

prepare for next year,. cause were going all the way!!

Carey Price #31

8. frontenac1 says:

Ooops! Yeah First….sorry, I was laughing while typing.

9. frontenac1 says:

Really guys,check it out on Youtube.”Ice Girl Barehanded Catfish”The guys in the booth gave her fist star!

10. ZepFan2 says:

@Stormin

I found where the song is from. It’s from the David Fennario play Balconville.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

11. HFX-HabFan says:

Putting on my NHL 12 fantasy GM cap for a moment:

Gomez, Budaj and NSH 2nd rd 2012 for Luongo, Ballard and VAN 5th rd 2013

then

Luongo, Kaberle and NSH 2nd rd 2013 for Khabibulin, Sutton, Paajarvi and EDM 3rd rd 2013

We save a couple million in cap space (immediately, and more long-term), get tougher/deeper on the blueline, and get another young forward.

• HFX-HabFan says:

MaxPac-DD-Cole
      Paajarvi-Pleks-Gio
      Bourque-Eller-Galchenyuk
      Moen-UFA-White
      Geoffrion

Markov-Gorges
      Yemelin-Subban
      Ballard-Sutton
      Diaz

Price
      Khabibulin

• Habsrule1 says:

Too bad Vancouver’s GM isn’t suffering from any sort of brain damage that I know of. Otherwise, great idea.

Go Habs Go!!

Well Gary Roberts did recently wish he could tell Gillis to his face that he is a moron. Of course Gary apologized a day later, but its the thought that counts. :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Interesting, I didn’t know Vancouver wasn’t interested in winning and instead was interested in pissing off their fans even more by making their team worse?

Gillis has not really had to make any significant trades since he took over that job in Vancouver. He did a good job in signing the Sedins, but the trades he has made so far aren’t all that good. Acquiring Ballard, big contract and being healthy scratch. His trading of Hodgson for what could end up being a career 4th line grinder/fighter.

This may be his defining moment what he gets for Luongo, I don’t get the impression many GM’s around the league are fans of Gillis.

12. habsfan0 says:

When will the 2012-2013 NHL schedule be released?

Interesting to see where the Habs will be on December 21,2012.

13. frontenac1 says:

Agree with No cheerleaders needed in Bell Centre, but prefer ice girls scraping the ice during breaks rather than old dudes with helmets. Last night two catfish were thrown on the ice.The ref. Wrapped one in a towel to remove ,while the Ice Girl just picked up that big old fish,which was still ALIVE and skated off with it smiling all the way! It was priceless! She could come fishin with me any day!

14. habs001 says:

Watching the playoffs and seeing the aggressive and physical d you need to compete in your end and to provide pinching support in the opposition end our roster from last year really lacks this capability…

Someone said Cole signed for 4 years?????

16. The Dude says:

Lol,good luck to Price’s agent if he’s attempting to offer Price’s services for $70 million for 10 years…team player my ass if that’s the case!
    Just want to tell ya bout a church sale I just got back from where I just acquired a Canadiens bowling ball “never seen one of those before”. Now like I really don’t need it and the last time I bowled was 42 years ago near TMR ,but hey it had a C.H. on it…what does a person do?Then I gots my fingers stuck in the dam thing cause of the newfangled rubber inserts they now use”an anti hatch-back opener if there ever was one,lol” Anywho, no bowling alley’s round me here in Paradise so I’ll make a hooka outta her,heh heh heh…

Hope your car isn’t a standard, would have been tough shifting gears with that bowling ball attached to your hand. :)

• shiram says:

You are judging Price on a contract that’s not even been discussed yet between the 2 parties.

• The Dude says:

Simple lil question for you shiram…would you Pay $70 mill for Price for 10? Be honest now!

• shiram says:

You are saying Price is not a team player based on a fictitious figure. I’ll answer your question when you give me reasons to believe Price is a bad team player.

• The Dude says:

Guilty,lol …I knew you would ya lil pricebot! Note to habsrule1….if you can’t tell the difference of someone 90 or 8,this may explain why your generally off the mark on all things Canadiens,eh!

• Habsrule1 says:

I can’t tell if The Dude is 90 or 8 from reading his comments

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

Price man, he really ties the team together, you know?

• JoeC says:

This is why we need a ignore poster option on here, dont bite , hes trolling

• RGM says:

I heard that Travis Moen offered to sign a 10-year contract for the League minimum, what a great team player!

See, I can pull stuff out of my ass to make a point too! Yay!

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• LNev says:

Oh yah? I read on the internet that Crosby is just faking and he’s going to sign an 11year, league minimum contract with the Habs this summer after the Pens buy him out because of his crippling(yet fake… wink wink, shhhhh) injuries.

And he was gonna buy everyone who owns a Montreal Canadiens jersey a lottery ticket.

Now that is a classy team player.

You know things are shaking in Habs land when:

- HIO posts a thread that has over 1000 comments.

18. blu_blanc_rouge says:

I can’t believe the day after the Canadiens hire their new GM that this site has no links to newspaper stories or videos/ audio clips.

19. commandant says:

I’d rather keep our teams tradition.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, and NY Giants live on tradition and don’t need cheerleaders.

Le Club de Hockey Canadien doesn’t need ice girls. This is Montreal, the game on the ice is the attraction, we don’t need a gimmick.

No one does class and ceremony like the Habs and we don’t need to lower ourselves for some cheap scantily clad women.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• habsfan0 says:

How do you explain Youppi! then?

• Ian Cobb says:

Youppi was just a left over from the Expo’s !

Dancing girls are for the American fan that needs the side show!
        The best looking ladies in the league walk in Montreal anyway.

• habsfan0 says:

“Walking the side walks” has rather an ominous implication when describing good looking ladies, Ian.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree. Tell ya the truth Ian, I miss the old forum with the organ, Dutchie with the bugle and the guy yelling Go Habs Go. I guess I am an old fart. :)

———————————–

• Ian Cobb says:

Me as well my friend! The younger fans will never experience the goose bumps that we did my friend!

• habsfan0 says:

Is Dutchie still around? What about “The Dancer” at Jarry Park?

• Cal says:

Miss the Forum big time along with all those mentioned amenities. We old farts saw a lot of great hockey there.

Maybe just rework Youppi’s costume into some kind of a spandex type apparal, then have a young fitness instructor of female persuasion play the role of Youppi and suddenly everyone is happy ;-)

• ZepFan2 says:

Well the Steelers did have the terrible towel and Green Bay has the cheese heads. NY I have no clue about.

But don’t these teams all have cheerleaders?

To be honest, I’d much rather see ice girls at the bell center over the men from glad the employ now.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

Steelers, Bears, Browns, Lions, Giants and Packers all do not have cheerleaders.

• ZepFan2 says:

Since when? They did have cheerleaders at one time, right?

Packers cheerleader
          ———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Habfan10912 says:

Not the Giants. Not sure of others.

———————————–

Age old tradition for those teams. Some times the Packers get a dance group from a local University, but officially no cheerleaders on those teams.

• GrimJim says:

According to Wiki, Pitt had cheerleaders from 1961 to 1969 but not since. Story was that the cheerleaders were from a local junior college that had no football team so they adopted the Steelers and formed a cheer squad of students for them. In 1969 the school formed their own football team and the student cheerleaders went back home.

EDIT: and the Packers had a squad from 1931 to 1988. Now they just get local college squads to perform

• ZepFan2 says:

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I found the same stuff GrimJim did.

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Habsrule1 says:

Wow we agree on something! You actually are a MONSTER after all!

Go Habs Go!!

• jedimyrmidon says:

If I’m not mistaken, cheerleading has long been part of football culture. The same can’t be said for hockey at all.

• Mr. Biter says:

Sorry Commandant,
      But the Packers do have cheerleaders.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

20. frontenac1 says:

Whoa!Bummer!

21. L Elle says:

“If you have a goalie like Carey Price, you are ahead of the game” – M. Bergevin

Is this why the Haters are upset today?

I’ll answer my own question; Yes

• New says:

Sometimes reading HIO is like listening to a radio call-in show. The subject might be anything but pretty soon someone comes in and wants to talk about what bothers them instead.

• RGM says:

I can picture it now: “Oh noes, the new GM is under the same spell as Gainey and Gauthier! We’ll be stuck with this silver-spoon had-it-all-handed-to-him spends-too-much-time-playing-cowboy-and-drawing-goalie-masks schlub forever!”

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• L Elle says:

… and he doesn’t deserve a penny over minimum wage!

• RGM says:

Not a team player if his agent is asking 10 years, $70M! I read it further up the page!

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• arcosenate says:

LOL, Price’s contract demands just went up 50%, not a great start for the GM…

Clearly we hired the wrong guy L.