Rangers teetering vs Senators, Blues advance, Caps can bounce Bruins today

rangers

New York Rangers’ Chris Kreider skates off MSG ice yesterday as the victorious Ottawa Senators celebrate in the background.
Mike Stobe, Getty Images Sport

In mid-January, New York Rangers owner James Dolan was speaking to the media about the Stanley Cup. His coach, John Tortorella, responded by suggesting his boss’ comments were “a bunch of bull—-.”

Presumably, Torts might like another word with Dolan to talk about premature fertilizer use, with the Ottawa Senators’ 2-0 win in New York yesterday putting the regular-season dominant Rangers on the brink of a first-round playoff exit.

In St. Louis: The Blues are back in the Western semis for the first time in a decade, their 3-1 Game 5 win bouncing the San Jose Sharks.

In Boston: Bruins goalie Tim Thomas was less than his Conn Smythe form in his team’s 3-2 loss to the visiting Washington Capitals, the Caps in a position to eliminate the defending Stanley Cup champions in Game 6 on home ice Sunday afternoon.

In Glendale, AZ: Chicago’s Jonathan Toews’s overtime goal gave the Blackhawks a 2-1 win over the Phoenix Coyotes to force Game 6. This is first series since the 1951 Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Canadiens for the Stanley Cup that a series has seen five games go to overtime.

In Sunrise, FL: Goalie José Theodore posted the shutout and the Florida Panthers’ 3-0 win over New Jersey has the Devils one game from elimination.

TODAY: A look at Sunday’s action.

1. Phil C says:

I apologize if this has already been posted, but here’s a link to an LA reporter getting punked by Bieksa (the reporter mistakes him for Ryan “Guzzler” Kesler). God bless America.

2. boing007 says:

Head down, head up. Doesn’t matter. You still might receive a dirty hit.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

3. habstrinifan says:

John Bellyful is on a ROLL today. In fact lots of funny posts this morning from many posters. Too bad I gotta go do my income tax right now. If my refund is big enough I shall be contributing to Gomez’s buyout by buying Molson for everyone.

Except Timo. Anyone who has such a man crush on MAB cant have reached drinking age.

4. BobDobbs says:

Playoff update for ex-Habs:

A. Kostitsyn: 5GP 1G 1A 2PTS +2 2PIM
    S. Kostitsyn: 5GP 1G 0A 1PTS -2 2PIM
    Hal Gill: 0GP (injured)
    Higgins: 4GP 0G 0A 0PTS -3 2PIM
    Lapierre: 4GP 0G 1A 1PTS 0 16PIM
    Hamrlik: 5GP 0G 1A 1PTS +4 4PIM
    Pouliot: 5GP 1G 1A 2PTS 0 2PIM
    McDonagh: 5GP 0G 0A 0PTS -3 6PIM
    Moore: 3GP 0G 0A 0PTS -1 5PIM
    Halak: 2GP (injured) 1.73GAA .935PCT (1W 1L)

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice work.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

Nice work. Higgins and Lapierre look like they are sucking up the joint. But then so is their team. McDonagh is haing his troubles too.

• 123456 says:

frankie boullion 1 asst +6

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks. Stats back up Hammers fine play. He’s been one of the Caps better players. Surprised at SK though. I thought he’s been playing very well but maybe I haven’t been paying close enough attention or my eyes are going.

———————————–
      Jim

• 123456 says:

yes hammer at $3.5M (i think thats what it was) has been great for the caps

• Lafleurguy says:

10912, always liked how Hammer played for us, and in the deep playoff run of 2010, he was our No. 1 defenceman. It looks however that he has slowed down quite a bit. “Thank you Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gill; We all travel over that hill.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mark C says:

I agree, can’t believe how many people forgot the Hamrlik from last year’s playoffs. He was horrid.

• Habfan10912 says:

Marc, I remember that he played poorly against the Bruins last year but his play so far in this years playoffs has been pretty good. I wonder as some have suggested, that he was over used by the Habs last season and had little in the tank come playoff time. Water under the bridge anyway he’s gone and he would NOT have made this years club a cup contender.

———————————–

• ont fan says:

How could we let these guys go for nothing!

• rhino514 says:

Supports my belief that the organisation has been very good overall at knowing when to let players go. The only ones who have excelled after leaving the team are the guys with attitudes you don´t want on the team (i.e. Ribeiro, Grabovski)
      Nice to see Bouillon come back this year and do well. No one talks about his departure but right now he looks like the guy we´d like to have back as a sixth D.

5. HabFab says:

Work in progress…Habs end season with 50 players under contract.

12 NHL players under contract for next season,
    10 Prospects (includes Leblanc) from this season under contract for next season,
    6 graduating Prospects under contract for next season (Beaulieu would make 7)
    19 RFA’s includes 8 in the NHL and 11 in the AHL at season end.
    9 UFA’s includes 4 in the NHL and 5 in the AHL

• Lafleurguy says:

Sorry for the snide jokes, ’cause you always compile great data, but HabFab, did you find out what happened to the several bags of pucks we got for guys like Kostitsyn, Lapierre, and a few others?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFab says:

Yes, I have and am happy to report the Canadiens First Star gets to autograph three and throw into the stands during their salute skate.
        Should be a couple of seasons too before we run out IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. habfan01 says:

You guys ought to check out the NESN site to see all the bruins fan whining about the officiating yesterday.

7. JohnBellyful says:

I used to be highly critical of the NHL until I came to realize that, apart from atrocious officiating, vicious hits, myriad evidence of gross mismanagement and inept team ownership, incomprehensible disciplinary actions, a pitiable union, and contemptible leadership at the very top, it ain’t half-bad.

8. novahab says:

This is for all the so called Canadian media types. Did you really think Roy was going to say he talked to the Canadiens when they haven’t anounce a GM. How about getting of your drunken lazy asses and do a real story.

• JohnBellyful says:

I just want to thank you for having taken the time to ascertain that Canadian media types are drunken lazy asses. I had my suspicions but was afraid to go public with them without having obtained evidence in support of what some might consider an inflammatory statement. Those guys are probably blushing now that all has been revealed.

• Habfan10912 says:

Crap. Now you tell me. I finally discover a job I am greatly qualified for and its too late for a career change
        I am an expert drinker and they don’t come any lazier ( ask the Mrs). :)

———————————–
        Jim

• Lafleurguy says:

Can I call you Jim? The two of us are professional men. It took decades for you and me to perfect the skills of minimalist men (means the same as lazy men)!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• JohnBellyful says:

Sorry, Jim — is it okay if I call you Jim? — but it’s better you find out now than waste the rest of your life building up qualifications for a job that won’t ever materialize. Some truths are hard to bear.

• Lafleurguy says:

Monsieur Bellyful, I was just kidding Jim about changing his signature line! Jim has also acquired a wicked avatar!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• JohnBellyful says:

I posted that without having seen what you had written. I was just kidding, as well. I like Jim’s new signature better than the one it replaced: ‘Call Jim please for a free feel.’

• Habfan10912 says:

I am crying. You guys are killing me. Thanks for the laugh. Going to change my sig again. Man do I suck! :)

———————————–
            Jim

• habstrinifan says:

I am gonna take your word for it. Was gonna email your missus and confirm but a little lazy here too.

Many people including myself have pointed to various members of the Detroit Organization and hoped that we could add 1 or 2 of these people to our Habs with the hopes that they could replicate their successes in Montreal.

I think if one really looks closely at the Detroit model there is really only one consistent which has led to their success. The owner, Mike Ilitch. Ilitch purchased the team in 1982 when they were a perennial losing team. He slowly made smart intelligent moves in hiring good coaches and GM’s and most importantly allowed for patience in the development of players, most specifically Steve Yzerman. Early in Stevie Y’s career there were many calling for him to be traded as he wasn’t bringing the success the fans wanted.

This quality ownership has transcended through the Coaches and GM’s and has trickled down to the players. This quality franchise is now able to take advantage of this well run team in resigning players for less than fair market value. Also free agents have wanted to go there and play for a winning organization.

My point is that, Montreal won’t become a winner overnight, and there is no more important person related to the Hab franchise than the owner. I believe Molson has the passion and hopefully will have the patience to build this team the right way. Hire good quality people making sound hockey decisions. There is no magic person who transform this team overnight, but rather over time hopefully our franchise can also be considered a model where players want to play and we fans can reap the benefits.

10. habstrinifan says:

Excuse my impoliteness HabinBurlington… I forgot to return your very courteous ‘good morning’ in my reponse to you. Good Sunday Morning to you. In fact Good Sunday Morning to everyone!

11. HabFab says:

Hab Prospects march to the Memorial Cup update;

Holland 6+11 in 12GP – team down 0-2 in series, Holland 3+2 in losses
    Tinordi 2+3 in 11GP – team up 1-0
    Beaulieu 2+7 in 9GP – team has won all 9 games in playoffs out scoring opponents 67-19. Beaulieu is +17

Bournival 1+6 and Ellis 4+7 in 11GP were eliminated in the Q Championship play but as host team have a bye into the Memorial Cup

12. JohnBellyful says:

Way too much value is being placed on the next Canadiens’ GM being a hockey man. To restrict the search to those individuals is to think small. History is filled with men who made their a mark in areas outside their original fields of endeavour:

– a patent clerk who revolutionized physics
    – a mediocre painter who oversaw Germany’s territorial expansion
    – a math tutor who wrote a classic fantasy novel
    – an influential editor who got Italy’s trains to run on time
    – a naval officer who helped put the first man on the moon
    – a third-rate actor who was elected president of the United States
    – a seminary student who turned his country into a world power
    – a bank clerk who became one of the 20th century’s greatest poets
    – a carpenter who gained fame as a highly efficient winemaker

As you can see, there’s sufficient evidence that the Canadiens should look well beyond the old – and young – boys network and begin plumbing the ranks of, well, plumbers, for one, in search of their next general manager. He could be a crossing guard, waiter, accountant, dentist, HIO member. Okay, that last one’s bit of a stretch, but you get the idea.

13. jo_maka says:

And now for Sunday’s wishful thinking:

Mike Babcock is a McGill University alumnus……………so………..???

C’mon Santa Claus, make it happen !!!
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

14. rhino514 says:

The hockey Gods are cruel.
    Knowing we could have had the Wiz instead of Kaberle and Campoli for less salary.
    Not only is he a character guy, but given the bad bounces we had this past season and the inept power play, the season would have unfolded completely differently.
    PG with all those trigger happy moves has set the team back pretty darned well.

• jo_maka says:

They are indeed cruel, but also fair in a weird way. Bruins’ run last year being an exception, then again if the Hockeys gods explain that one, they’d give Shanahan a run for his money….
      If we weren’t this bad this year, we would’ve made the playoffs, and PG would lull us into the false idea that we’re somehow decent.
      The Hockey Gods allowed us a wake up call. Glory be to them !!!
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• The Cat says:

It was irresponsible of PG to rely on faith and optimism with the D, not replacing Hamrlik was a huge blunder as well.

15. rhino514 says:

It´s a strange sport when a team the Canadiens could handle quite well (Senators) is on their way to upsetting the top team in the conference.

16. jo_maka says:

I hate the Flyers almost as bad as I hate the Bruins. Not so much this year though.

The first pic is downright adorable, I thought I’d share:

Have a great Sunday Habs Nation !

_________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

17. ont fan says:

It should be interesting with some teams getting beat early again and those not making it to the dance, who will swap whom. Could be some very interesting moves at the draft.

18. Habfan10912 says:

I really want Vancouver to lose today. Not that I dislike them or like the Kings but I think the Habs GM/coach search has been waiting on Vancouver /Detroit to an extent. Want a GM and coach in place well before draft day. Still hoping Serge and company can pull Nill away from Detroit.

———————————–
    Jim

I have never minded the Kings, this goes back to the 80′s when the Kings pulled off a great upset of the mighty Oilers who would always knock my hometeam Jets from the playoffs.

Aside from Mike Richards, I don’t mind any of the players on the Kings roster. Would be happy to see them complete the upset.

I just hope the idiots in the streets of Vancouver don’t repeat their acts from last year if indeed the Nucks crap the bed tonight.

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah me too, I’ve always been kind of a closet LA Kings fan, Rogie Vachon and all that and then in the ’93 when I won my first playoff pool with a bunch of Kings (Gretzky, Donnelly, Rychel, Blake).

I don’t like Richards or his peroxide BF Carter though but guys like Quick, Doughty, Kopitar and Brown more than make up for those clowns.

I can’t stand Kesler, Luongo and Lapierre…

_______________________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes

19. The Cat says:

I hope Philly wins today, I got them in 6 in a pool.

I still can’t get my head around ever cheering for the Flyers, while I have no love for the Penguins as an organization I do like Crosby. But the Flyers are right behind the Bruins alongside the Leafs in teams I cannot cheer for.

I think my support in the East may have to be for Ottawa, can’t believe I am typing that…..

But good luck in your pool Cat!

• Cal says:

Go Pens. I hate the Flyers too much to ever want them to win anything.

• The Cat says:

I cant understand that. If there was ever a team that so easy to hate its the Pens.

• The Cat says:

• Cal says:

I’ve hated them since they did the Broad Street Bullies sh!t and won 2 Cups playing goon hockey. Habs had to beat them both ways in the 76 Finals.
          Always will hate Clarke and that “anything to win” bs.

• The Cat says:

I met Bobby Clark and hes a class act. Players have on-ice and off-ice personalities. It is to the habs detriment on the ice that the CH brand demands nice guy personalities on and off the ice.

One of my friends uncle is MadDog Kelly, every summer her and her brother spent most of summer in Philadelphia and grew up hanging out with Clarke’s kids.

The stories she and her brother have shared with me regarding Clarke do not place him under the heading of class act.

I did meet Clarke at the CBC afterparty for the NHL awards at Gretzky’s bar in Toronto. IT was the summer in which Clarke and Lindros were at each others throats. I shook Clarke’s hand and told him I was I a fell Manitoban and to trade Lindros to nowhere. He smiled and said, “I’m working on it”.

Of course he was at the party with Snyder who had his blonde young lady with him whose IQ could be measured with single digits.

• Cal says:

@Cat

Anyone who breaks the ankle of another player during a game in order to “win” is anything but a class act. Clarke, like Marchand today, is the epitome of what’s wrong in the NHL. Starts sh!t and hides behind other players when the tables are turned.
            I really don’t care what he does off-ice. I remember his “act” on-ice.

• The Cat says:

I remember Wade (not sure if its his name or nickname) having a snotty ‘my dad is Bobby-%^&^%Clark’ attitude.

• The Cat says:

@Cal
            I certainly understand how you feel, and having been coach I can tell you the best players very often have traits you would not want in your own kid, but on the ice sometimes things get carried away. If you asked around at my job, people would tell you Im very diplomatic and discreet, classy even, they would be surprised if I told them I once hit a referee lol

• Habfan10912 says:

Well my friend you have given me another reason to root for the Flyers today. Boy the goaltending has got to be giving you chest pains though, huh?

———————————–
      Jim

• The Cat says:

Thanks! Jagr made me laugh when he said it was because the forwards were too skilled. I kinda agree with him, the goalies arent great but they cant be this bad, can they?

Will Toronto or Markham specifically get an NHL team? I still think there are real burning embers behind the smoke causing private money to be willing to build an NHL arena in Markham.

Why would Ont. Teachers Pension Fund sell a hockey team (and other teams) when this investment was providing a rate of return which exceeded the requirements of their investment strategy? Why would two heated rivals (TSN/Sportsnet) get in bed together to co-own a hockey team?

I have no inside knowledge, but I think Bettman knows that eventually he will have to move Phoenix, this could open up a court case regarding the movement of franchises. It is in this court case where the NHL could possibly be exposed to how their policies don’t pass the legal sniff test. Bettman does not want such cases every going to court. The NHL cannot afford to lose such a case.

So perhaps quietly, very quietly, Bettman told MLSE that hey, I am eventually going to have to add a 2nd team to your area. Bettman has to know that some of his sunbelt teams just arent financially feasible, and that the GTA can easily support a 2nd team, and provide even higher returns of money to the wealthy owners in the league.

I think there is something going on, and as Dave Perkins from The Star says in the article linked below, we won’t hear anything about it, until it is a done deal.

• habstrinifan says:

Now this is what I call good reading between the lines. These are very cogent arguments you make.

Thanks Jameson, and Good Morning Bud. The company I work for is partly owned by the Ont. Teacher Fund. My boss the President is owner of the other percentage. He is in complete disbelief as to why Teachers sold the MLSE. Every year we have a target rate of return which we need to hit in order to basically keep the Teachers off our radar. As long as we hit those numbers it is business as usual for us. It is my understanding that MLSE was always well above this percentage. Yes the Fund got a huge one time increase, but at the same time, the Teachers Fund has never had such struggles in finding other investments, ever since the big credit crunch a number of years ago.

It is of course just my theory, but I think they knew the pot was going to get split, and they felt the huge one time sale was bigger than the one reward they would receive in franchise fee from the league when a team gets awarded to the area.

Plus, it is fun to play prognosticator isn’t it?

Edit: I think the two sports networks also believe this may happen and they would have some lottery where one of them keeps the Leafs and the other gets involved with the new team in Markham.

• habstrinifan says:

Speaking about prognosticator, I know a Booth graduate who recently accepted an integral advisor position with a well known pension fund head-quartered in Toronto. In fact I changed his diapers.

So now I have two issues which I probably shouldnt comment on here in HIO. They both start with a capital P.

I am tempted to add, just in case Un Canadien Errant reads any of my post that he was once categorized by a teacher as having a ‘thick thick skull’ and by another as lucky that he didnt have to apply sun tan on his field trips to pick strawberries.

But I digress.

• Habfan10912 says:

That would be great for the hockey fans in your area Gerald. Chris and I would make another road trip for sure.

———————————–
      Jim

• The Cat says:

Im no expert in this, I could be way wrong but I think with Fehr the players union might be calling the shots, isnt a percentage of the nhl players salaries subsidizing the coyotes salaries now? This isnt going to remain with Fehr.

Another good factor to add to the argument Cat. The higher the league revenues go, the more money into the players percentage of the pot. By removing one or two of the money losing teams and putting them in markets like Quebec City and GTA and revenues go even higher.

Having an intelligent Player Union leader like Fehr should also recognize this. Of course he would never publicly advocate such actions, but he too must recognize the even greater windfall available for those he represents.

• Habitall says:

I’m surprised Bettman isn’t pushing to have MORE rather than less presence in the southwest. Teams in Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Houston etc. could generate some buzz in Phoenix, rivalry-wise. At least, so the thinking might go.

Not that I think that’s a good idea, but I’m (pleasantly) surprised that prudent business considerations are getting in the way of empire building.

• smiler2729 says:

If Markham gets an NHL team then Toronto’s gonna want one!

yuk yuk, an oldie but a goodie.

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes

• habstrinifan says:

LOL! We gotta be careful though using it. My brother-in-law who is a Leafs fan kept using the “So you think if Quebec gets an NHL team Montreal is gonna want one too” line this year. This was when the Leafs were flying high and were almost top of the conference.

He’s been quite lately.

21. Habfan10912 says:

Copied from previous topic.
    The on ice officials have seemingly enacted a zero tolerance for the after whistle scrums. These scrums had become a vital part of the Bruins game plan and other teams were beginning to employ this strategy as a means of getting other players off their game without getting any penalty. It seems like the added violence in this years playoffs has caused the league to issue a directive to its officials. I wonder how Mr. Jacob’s phone call to Bettman and Daddy went this morning?
    Jacobs: “Bob. This is Jeremy. We need to talk.”
    Bettmen: “OK but why don’t you call Collin?”
    Jacobs: “He was on the damn phone with his wife. She’s really pissed that Gregy’s team lost yesterday and wants to know what he’s going to do about it.”
    Bettmann: “OK. Whats the problem Jer?”
    Jacobs: “You know what the problem is you SOB.” I got you that contract extension and this is how I’m re-payed?”
    Bettmann: “Look, we got you one cup. We were getting heat from the other owners. We can’t be giving these cups away every year.”

———————————–
    Jim

• banjo bernie says:

Too bad your team don’t want to spend the money for long distance…….tell ‘em to try SKYPE

• Habfan10912 says:

Not that I know this for a fact but I’m thinking the Molsons might have some lose change hanging around to make a phone call or two. :)

———————————–
        Jim

Morning Jim, yah I hope Bettman finally feels he has repayed Jacobs enough already.

• The Cat says:

The post whistle scrum is the most idiotic thing in hockey. If the refs would just go at the faceoff circle with the puck, itd fix itself, but no these scrums are enabled by the ‘oh god please dont fight’ linesmen.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Cat. The players are now experts of the “face wash”. WWE like IMO. Cheers.

———————————–
        Jim

• Cal says:

Actually, if they would just call the roughing and unsportsmanlike and delay of game penalties for these things, they would stop.

• The Cat says:

I disagree. Itd still happen cause of the refs. Think of it like a bunch of ladies at a shoe sale; no matter how many incidents occured before, itll still happen again -you got to take away the shoe sale!

• Lafleurguy says:

if the faceoff man is tossed out by the linesman for delay tactics, players should be tossed out the scrum for delaying dropping the gloves and not fighting

“May you live in interesting times.”

• boing007 says:

How about one player from each team to the penalty box? Or the whole line of each team?

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

Good news, the Amber Alert that we saw on the CBC hockey games last night is resolved. The boy was found alive and well.

As Mr. Boone posted on the blog, it was unnerving to see such a stark reality enter into the hockey game, very happy for the family and the boy that all is well.

Good Morning Everyone, well I wonder if we don’t see the Sharks become players in the Nash summer sweepstakes. I could see them trading Marleau, 1st round pick and some other things.

I can see them thinking Nash would be the compliment for Thornton.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. They will probably do the patch it up thing as opposed to the blow it up thing. Your suggestion fits into the patch model so its possible. That team has been a head scratch er for several years, huh? Can’t seem to have a good playoff run. Wasn’t that the knock on Thorton when he was a Bruin?

———————————–
      Jim

• Cal says:

Sharks will be transformed this summer. The Thornton trade, in the end, did not get them the Cup they wanted. Big youth movement with new coaching staff coming. Vets who haven’t performed in the playoffs (for years) will be available.