Rangers rally for fantasy win

Price

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t.

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Two third-period goals Brandon Dubinsky were the difference as the New York Rangers rallied to defeat the Canadiens 4-2 Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

Here’s how things might have looked in Saturday night’s game between the Canadiens and the New York Rangers at the Bell Centre.Dubinsky snapped a 2-2 tie when he beat Carey Price from a sharp angle at 6:37 and then added an insurance goal 10:17.

“There were a lot of bodies in front of the net on the final goal but I should have stopped the first one,” said Price. “I thought I was right up against the post but somehow the puck found a way through.”

While Price seemed to be struggling throughout the game _ he faced only 23 shots _ Henrik Lundqvist was outstanding at the other end of the ice. He made 34 saves, including 14 after Tomas Plekanec gave the Canadiens a brief 2-1 lead at 3:53 of the third period.

“You have to give their goaltender  a lot of credit,” said coach Michel Therrien after watching his team suffer its third straight defeat. “We had more scoring chances than they did but they got the goaltending  and we didn’t.”

Price did a rare assist on a power-play goal after Carl Hagelin gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead at 1:46 of the second period. Price stopped Brad Richards on a shorthanded breakaway and found Erik Cole with a stretch pass. Lundqvist made the save on Cole’s shot off the rush but he left a juicy rebound for P.K. Subban , who scored at 10:30.

“I had to score because it was my fault that Richards had that breakaway,” said Subban, who failed to control a bouncing puck at the point.

Plekanec gave the Canadiens their only lead of the game when he one-timed a cross-ice pass from Alexei Emelin. It was fifth goal of the season.

But the lead didn’t long as Marian Gaborik was on the tail end of a 2-on-1 with Richards at 5:30.

“I started to shoot but (Josh) Gorges made a move toward me and I figured had a better chance at it,” said Richards.

Brandon Prust, who was playing his first game against the Rangers since signing a free-agent deal with Montreal , and he showed his former teammates that past friendships don’t count for much on the season. He tangled with Dan Girardi at 4:20 and scored a TKO when Girardi lost his balance while trying to throw a punch.

Both teams lost players in the game. Canadierns forward Colby Armstrong suffered what the team described as a minor lower-body injury. He appeared to suffer an ankle or knee injury in a battle along the boards in the second period.

Former Canadien Aaron Asham suffered a wrist injury and will be out 3-4 weeks. Ryan Callahan was shaken up after Emelin delivered a hard check late in the second period. Callahan didn’t return but the Rangers  said the injury was not serious and he was held out as a precaution.

The Canadiens wrap up a four-game homestand Tuesday against the Calgary Flames.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. Haborama says:

Lest We Forget

2. HabsRepresente says:

Hey fellow Habs fans! Could you guys do me a favor and check out my new article on Habs7.com? It compares Kessel’s and Max-Pac’s stats to reveal who is truly the better player, offensive and defensively! Enjoy!

– Jagger

3. wjc says:

Things that irk me:

1. People who say, players played for the love of the game years ago.

The truth is NHL players always played for as much money as they could get.
    Back “in the day” when your grand dad made $2000.00 a year, hockey players made $8,000.00 to $25,000.00 a year.

So they played for what they could get at the time. A poor system that favored the owners no doubt. They felt lucky to be able to play and become famous and make above average income.

But they played for money. Glenn Hall used to hold out all the time for more money, the joke was he had to paint his barn.

But, they played for money, period.

2. They have ruined “our game”. The game is bigger than the NHL, you can play it, watch it, ignore it, pay for it. No one owns the game. The NHL has teams that have players that play the game.

You/we can do the same thing with your kids, grand kids on the pond, on an outdoor rink or in a minor hockey league.

The game is there to do what you wish.

3. People say unionized players should not play elsewhere when they are locked out/on strike. Who said?

If you are on strike/lockout you are free to take a part time job, full time job or no job. The rule is you do not cross the picket line, real or imaginary.

4. People say signing an agreement is easy, just do it.

The truth is signing an agreement is easy. Signing an agreement that is right for your side is hard. Dollar amounts, wording, loop holes (real or imagined) percentages, future earnings based on past earnings and present earnings for projections. The world economy that could see taxes rise, unemployment rise and thus disposable incomes fall. Experts on both sides analyzing data, advising, sometimes even disagreeing amongst themselves as to where things are heading.

With all this you have the spot light, and people with unlimited opinions. Some on the outside and some with a dog in the fight.

Proposals, that offer starting points. Teams pressured to make the business work. Players that feel entitled and players being jerked around, caught in the middle.

Their heads must swim with information that has to be figured out. The unknown future, cannot be predicted from the past. Gotta get it right….gotta get it right.

Then someone yells “just sign it already” ” I need my hockey fix”.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!

wjc

4. aroma says:

A propos of nothing, I found out recently that Michael Farber, one of Montreal’s greatest sports journalists, has gone into “quasi-retirement”. Perhaps this is old news here, but in case it’s not, it’s worth noting. I was searching around for a Farber article addressing the lockout, but one was not be found. Eventually landed on a Twitter he’d sent out informing readers of this. Excuse me, again, if this is old news, but a send out is in order to Mike…here’s hoping your new quasi lifestyle is fulfilling and all you’ve worked for.

• HabFab says:

My first reaction is one of concern. He has been fighting cancer for about 2 years now.

• neumann103 says:

I think he was bought out a few months back.I recall this coming out around the same time as the Boone “retirement”was announced.

I believe it was voluntary and that SI had some attrition targets and offered buyout packages.

5. ZepFan2 says:

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER
    (A Soldier Died Today)
    by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
    And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
    Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
    In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho’ sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
    All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
    But we’ll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
    And the world’s a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
    For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
    Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
    And the world won’t note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
    While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
    Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
    But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
    A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
    Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
    Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician’s stipend and the style in which he lives
    Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
    While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
    Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It’s so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
    That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
    It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
    Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
    Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
    Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
    His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
    But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
    For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier’s part
    Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he’s here to hear the praise,
    Then at least let’s give him homage at the ending of his days.
    Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
    Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today

God bless our Vets!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

6. commandant says:

A look at Team Sweden for the World Juniors, featuring Sebastian Collberg

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. HabFab says:

Informative article on how Geoffrion could get so seriously injured while wearing his helmet;

8. rhino514 says:

just saw that Kaberle only lasted a few games in europe and has returned to north america. What gives with this guy, seriously?

9. rhino514 says:

Leblanc, Pateryn, now Geoffrion. It seems the dogs are suffering the same bad luck with injuries as has the parent team within recent years.
    The one which really hurts is Leblanc, because if he would have continued to play as well as he was, he looked capable of taking a top nine, maybe even a top six spot with the Habs, which they sorely need.
    Someone mentioned that players are often not themselves for months following the dreaded high ankle sprain, anybody have any knowledge regarding this?

• Ian Cobb says:

Kids playing against MEN! Rhino.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not saying this is the case with Leblanc’s injury but you’ve often hear the expression that it’s better to break your ankle than suffering a high ankle sprain. Especially if you damage any of the ligaments around the back of the leg and ankle area. A break often heals more completely.

10. icky pop says:

I’m from Saskatchewan, so I have no idea who he is. I actually found his blog this morning out of frustration of yet another fantasy game being reported. I completely ignored it, but from the comments posted, the fantasy game isn’t even being reported properly haha. So I took it upon myself to report something here for us to talk about. The blog link is a week late, but its something new, and I will keep up to date with that, since it seems to be a one stop shop for what is happening with the habs that are playing elsewhere.

11. Mondou6 says:

Happy Remembrance/Veterans Day…

Stupid question on that note: I was in Montreal last year on Remembrance Day, and I couldn’t find anywhere to buy one of those red poppy pins. And yet everyone has them. Where do people get them?

• Cal says:

Many local deps have them at the cash.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Eesh…Leafs and Habs would have been a decent game to watch tonight. I think that’s the game that would be on tonight if the regular season started on time?

I just noticed something funny. I’m on vacation starting Wednesday and the Bulldogs have a morning game, ya I’m serious, a 10:00 A.M. morning game on Wednesday morning.

To top off it off it’s televised on TVA. The better half is going to be a little pissed cuz no matter what time game time is, it’s always beer time. Beer for breakfast with the Bulldogs it is!

Who needs the NHL? When was the last time I could watch the Habs while drinking beer at breakfast? Go Dogs Go!

12. topher5468 says:

That Fantasy game must have also taken place in the twilight zone, I believe Dubinsky was traded to Columbus with Anisimov for Nash, So he couldn’t have scored two goals to beat Price and the Habs last night.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

13. icky pop says:

Apparently desharnais has signed in Europe as well, and Eller is in Finland. Plekanec had a five point night earlier this week. Seems like a decent blog about our boys overseas and in the minors.

• HabFab says:

News is about a week late but Ron Reusch is a long time Montreal Sports personality. Has been radio voice of both the Habs and Expos along with being a reporter in the past if you are not familiar with the man. Nice to still hear him going.

• rhino514 says:

It seems we have more players actually playing now than most teams. If a partial season is saved, does this give us a bit of an advantage as more of our players would be in game shape?
      Also, does anyone know if Engquist is coming back to the Dogs or is he done with the organization? Does anyone know if nokkelainen is playing anywhere?

• HabFab says:

Engquist is basically done, was offered a contract but chose to go to the KHL. Nokkelainen is not playing elsewhere, he is signed with Montreal and still nursing injuries from last season apparently. He is cleared to play but taking advantage of the rehab time.

14. Psycho29 says:

Another Price temper tantrum!!!!
    I remember last season he pulled similar crap when Letang scored a disputed OT goal.

One thing for sure, Halak always kept his temper in check!!!

Good Morning all….Just wanted to get the comment number up!!
    ;-)

15. Habfan10912 says:

Tweet from Bob McKenzie
    Update on Blake Geoffrion: Surgery for depressed skull fracture. Remains in stable condition in ICU. Out indefinitely. Expect full recovery.

———————————–

Pretty scary stuff Jim. Just a couple weeks ago you and I a few others were walking out of Copps after the Dogs game and we saw Blake and his girlfriend walking out from the arena on their way home. To think today he is in a hospital bed wondering about playing hockey again this year….

16. HabFab says:

Lest we forget, Don at his very best;

My grandfather always kept a picture of his two brothers killed in World War 1 hanging in his room. When he passed, my Dad hung it in his. Last year my Dad passed and I have hung it in mine, hopefully one of my sons will someday do the same.
    “Lest we forget”

17. Cal says:

Today is the day to honour the fallen and to remember their sacrifice. Please take the time and do your part.

EDIT- more material added as of 9:40AM

18. HabFab says:

Don Fehr doing his rope a dope and driving the NHL crazy. I would be laughing if he wasn’t pucking us too!

19. Habfan10912 says:

Happy Remembrance/Veterans Day to all that have served or serving. It is fitting that our two GREAT countries share this day to honor the many who gave so much for all of us. We live in the two greatest countries on earth, thanks to all of you veterans.
    We should all take a minute today to honor all of these great men and women and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Our lives have been truly blessed because of these people.

———————————–

Well said Jim, we often throw around terms like hero’s when discussing our favourite sports players, when in fact the people worthy of such terms are those that have served their countries and in turn the rest of us.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…BRING BACK BOONE !!! …fer Gawd’z sake !
    …and, send Hick and His demented fantasies to Hamilton …fer Gawd’z sake ! :(

21. SmartDog says:

And in other fantasy news… Pat Hickey’s 10th level Ranger successfully rescued Mike Boone’s 9the level Palladin from the evil wizard Zygor!

And in even more fantasy news, I just dumped Halle Berry for Maria Bello! Wish me luck. I think this one’s a keeper!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

22. commandant says:

Archambault with 1g 2a tonight. Nice night for him.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

23. HammerHab says:

mods really gotta close comments on these fantasy threads…..

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

Subban is still with the team?

25. ProHabs says:

That is it. I was really into this fantasy hockey. I was enjoying it more than the real NHL and was investing alot of time and money into it. This fantasy league actually almost cost me my marriage as I was spending so much time following it.

But when I see Brandon Dubinsky still a Ranger, it takes all of the credibility away from the league. He is a Blue Jacket now. I can’t take this league seriously anymore. I feel like a fool.

26. otter649 says:

So the trade between New York & Columbus never happened as it was dreamed by Pam Ewing & Dubinsky is stuck in Alaska playing hockey with Gomez…..

27. cheezboie says:

Good thing Dubinsky isn’t with the real Rangers lmao…
    In real Habs land have to say The ‘Dogs look ugly so far this season. Nash is a mess. Sloppy play throughout the team. On a positive note – lots of potential & Robert Mayer standing on his head. Go Dogs Go!

28. HabFab says:

Stats, where are the stats?