Rangers’ legal salary-cap circumvention

From NYTimes.com

Scotty Bowman greeted a friend as he stepped from a limo early Saturday
afternoon in New Rochelle, ready to head into an autographing session at
Iona College. Stopping for a brief chat, the first thing the Hall of
Fame coach said after exchanging hellos was, “How about the Rangers
putting Wade Redden on waivers?”

Redden’s fate became the talk of the hockey world (at least for a
moment, since there was nothing new to say about Carey Price) when the Rangers made
it official Saturday morning
that the greatly diminished former
All-Star no longer fit the Rangers’ plans — which assumes that General
Manager Glen Sather actually had a plan when he signed Redden to a
six-year $39 million free agent contract two years ago.

“I told him at the end of last year that if he didn’t have a great camp
this was going to happen,” Sather said of Redden, who cleared waivers
today. And with inexpensive youngsters on the Rangers’ blue line like
Michael Del Zotto, who had four points
including the game-winning goal Saturday
against the Devils in the
role that Redden should have been playing, that bloated contract with
$23 million remaining became a luxury the Rangers could afford to eat.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: The Rangers Legal Salary Cap Circumvention” >>

1. The Cat says:

I dont know who drafted him but that Del Zoto kid is gonna be good.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t know about that, managing to make the only 1st round pick in the 2003 draft where the guy chosen didn’t play an NHL game must mean something.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. Exit716 says:

Sather hasn’t done anything of significance in 20 years as a GM, yet he keeps his job.

4. nunacanadien says:

You know your team is in trouble when the fans start comparing the trades of your GM to that of Sather……

5. Hobie Hansen says:

Everybody knows that Glen Sather is a complete buffoon who just happened to coach the greatest collection of players to ever land in someone’s lap. I’ll be surprised if he lasts the entire season in New York. Then again, I’ve been surprised he’s had a job in hockey for the last ten years now.

6. mbplekfan says:

Reasons to not sign long term contracts:

1) Wade Redden

2) Sheldon Souray

Do you need anymore?

7. oldrrty says:

What about DiPetro and Louongo?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Alexei Yashin comes to mind!

Mad Mike Milbury, NHL’s gotta be the only place where you can nearly annihilate a business and than spin it into 3 seperate TV gigs job giving analysis on the industry you utterly failed in.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. LA Loyalist says:

Scott Gomez

Alexi Yashin

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

10. Kappy says:

In other news…

I just read that Mark Streit is out indefinetly (maybe up to 6 months) after being cross checked from behind in practice by his own teammate, Matt Moulson.  What the heck was Moulson thinking??  Streit is there best defenceman by far and arguably there best player.

The gong show continues in Long Island!!

11. Mr.Hazard says:

Boone mentioned it a few days ago, but I believe he used the term “collision”… was he really cross-checked?

12. Gormdog says:

Kovalev’s passes as in: “Kovalev passes you as he skates by and turns it over at the blue line”

13. HabsTrueBlue says:

“I still can’t believe that the Senators chose to retain Redden instead of Chara the year before their cup run.” <— What’s hard to believe Mr Hindsight?  In 2006 Chara was a pylon dressed in a hockey uniform (albeit a tough-fighting pylon) whereas Redden looked like the real deal. In fewer games, Redden had more points, a much better +/-, and was a better defender.

14. arcosenate says:

Oh well, an amazingly quick decline. I still can’t believe that the Senators chose to retain Redden instead of Chara the year before their cup run. I think Chara might have made a huge difference for them, as in Chris Pronger probably would have thought twice before elbowing every Senator in the head. Redden has made his cash, he’s set for life and by the way he’s played for the past 4 years it would seem he’s ready to move on.

This is hilarious from the Ottawa Citizen today:

After the obvious first line of Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson, it becomes difficult. Do Regin and Kovalev stay together as Fisher’s wingers because of the chemistry they had last season, or does Foligno’s strong training camp make him a better candidate to finish off Kovalev’s passes?

Kovalev passes? They could be in big trouble if they’re expecting that to happen.

15. Habfan29 says:

Gerry from the West Island just on the team 990, eluding to Price as “Jeff Spicoli” from Fast Times as Ridgemont High. I guess he thinks that Price is a stoner. Gerry I cannot believe that you stated that Halak had the best playoff run of a Canadians goaltender ever!!!! Give me a break he was not better then Dryden or Roy, are you forgetting 1993, without Roy no Cup. Gerry that comment just proved to me that you shoul;d stay in Florida and cheer for the Panthers as obviously you know little about hockey.

enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. fbkj says:

was he really???

another reason the west-island sucks ;)

17. Propwash says:

It’s too bad Randy Tiemen is too nice of a guy to tear him a new one.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

18. db says:

FFS man… i bet you suck at your job.   STFU already

19. Kooch7800 says:

Gomez is overpaid yes, no questions there.  We needed a number one centre and he was the best option we had.  We didn’t give up much to get him and too be honest he is a good leader and is a play maker not a goal scorer.

Vinny makes more money and is injury prone and is under contract for a rediculously long time.

Gomez isn’t a bad player he just has a bad contract.

Thanks to our friend Sather

20. Kooch7800 says:

Was that aimed at me?

21. Kooch7800 says:

Was that aimed at me?

22. Mattyleg says:

No, at the previous post.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. Mattyleg says:

Ahh… nothing like the refreshing commentary of a 2-day old troll.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. The Cat says:

Nothing irritates me more than people who measure a players worth by goals alone, and then think their arguement is valid, &*^$ that bugs me.

25. volcano62 says:

Redden on waivers?

26. Habfan29 says:

yes told Randy tieman that he lives in Florida blah blah blah….

27. Rudy says:

Hey, watch it, I have very fond memories of the West Island.

28. nickster13 says:

hey i still live here!

29. fbkj says:

as a south shore boy, i cant help it, its genetic

nuff said

30. fbkj says:

no i live here, you live there

nuff said

31. Chuck says:

Gerry cudn’t find florida on amap.Or spell it.

nuff said

32. fbkj says:

i sense a meme

nuff said

33. Laramy87 says:

hahahahahahahah ya keep going

34. fbkj says:

it really comes off as aggro eh?

35. Corio says:

West Island is like the Mississauga of Quebec, it’s like the armpit of suburbia..

36. fbkj says:

with the smell of angry anglo in the air, mixed with dagwoods sauce

nuff said

37. Rudy says:

Thanks for reminding why I left, you think because it is anglo it is the armpit of Quebec?

Nice tolerance (not).

38. mrhabby says:

ever been to mississauga??

39. fbkj says:

HAHA im bustin balls although if bugs were to read this response you just wrote i think hed have a brain anneurism… im half anglo and joking…

hating the west island is just part of growing up on the shore… its how we roll… in jest of course

40. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I was wondering about DiPietro too, he’s actually not a bad goalie, just unlucky with all the injuries. Does an injured player’s salary count agaiant the cap? Does anyone know? I believe his cap hit is 4.5 mill which isn’t too bad if they could get him healthy.

41. mrhabby says:

No wonder a season was lost with the likes of sather around for all these years dolling out unreal contracts. Redden has made his money,  what does he care and he still has a contract to boot. Report to the AHl make a few bucks. Talk about skills in decline.

42. Kappy says:

I am not sure what type of character Redden is, but to have to report to the AHL at this stage in his career is a major hit to his ego.  It makes me wonder if he even will.  I would imagine his camp is pushing for a buyout.  This whole situation is unreal, I mean what the F*&# was Sather thinking??  Can you imagine if a Montreal GM handed out that type of contract to that type of player.  He would be strung up!

43. mrhabby says:

how true on the those 3 gigs…lol.

44. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Some d-men take longer than others to develop, that’s why I hope in hell that they stay patient with O’Byrne. Not saying he’ll be a Chara, but a solid and physical stay at home D-men would be great.

45. arcosenate says:

Because anyone with a half decent ability to see a player on the way up and one on the way down knew that Chara was the real deal. That’s how, like pretty much the entire city of Ottawa at the time, but I guess you know best Mr. Foresight.

46. HabsTrueBlue says:

I like OB too but I think that people on HIO people over-reacting to OB being benched a few times. I’ve seen OB make bad plays and then skate his next shift. Martin has to balance between cutting a young (or veteran) player some slack and winning games. I wouldn’t assume that Martin was trying to “humiliate” OB when he benched him in the playoffs last year.

47. Kooch7800 says:

I like OB.  Always have.  He just needs to play and not be benched after making a mistake.  Not really a good way to teach someone how to play is as soon as a mistake is made you bench them for the rest of the game to humiliate them.

48. HabsTrueBlue says:

Yeah whatever!  You expect me (or anyone) to believe that back in 2006 you and the entire city of Ottawa knew that Redden after posting career numbers (50 points in 65 games, +35, 10 points in 9 playoff games) was going to suffer a career meltdown 3 years later. I don’t know why hockey clubs even bother paying GMs all the money they do when all the need to do is employ you and poll the city of Ottawa to get better results.

I never claimed to be Mr Foresight. You are the one making illogical and ridiculous claims. Looking at the facts, Ottawa made a reasonable decision at the time when they extended Redden over Chara. Not every reasonable decision turns out well.

49. HabsTrueBlue says:

I completely agree. I think that O’Byrne has a lot of potential and they should be patient with him.

50. Led says:

OB presently is light years ahead of where Chara was at the same age. For one, he can actually skate. I agree, patience is needed. Also, playing time and the freedom to learn from his mistakes. Not to be benched after one mistake while other veterans are given a free pass.

51. Bryan says:

Anyone else know that Gionta has a younger brother, who’s the same height as him?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

52. christophor says:

10 seconds of googling tells me “yes”.

53. Mark C says:

Yes, Stephen same height, half the skill.

54. Kooch7800 says:

I am sorry but this is what ticks me off.  Everyone blames the players for being greedy but how about a GM for being a MORON.  How does Sather still have a job in the NHL?  Honestly.  The gomez contract…..way overpaid.  Drury…..way over paid. Redden…..way overpaid….I could keep going on but I won’t.  he needs to be fired.

He ruins it for other NHL GM’s when he makes this contracts that just cause inflation with players of similar talent levels/skills.

If I was bettman (thank god I am not) i would ask that he be fired.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Rangers ownership is much like the Loafs ownership, high prices and they keep selling the barn out and that’s all they care about, it’s about selling a brand more than actually accomplishing something.

I’m sure a lot of NHL GMs would like a time machine to keep Lowe, Milbury and Sather from getting GM spots though.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. avatar_58 says:

I watched an interview where Gomez suggested it came down to Montreal of NY as a free agent. So basically that a-hole screwed us big time, twice. We could have had him far cheaper and earlier in his career.

57. Xtrahabsfan says:

Like that moron who traded our No: 1  Goalie……

58. habs permanent bandwagon fan says:

like the moron GM who traded for Gomez and willing to take on that huge contract, knowing the guy couldn’t score more than 12 goals/season.

59. JIMVINNY says:

troll, troll, troll your boat…

60. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah, it was reported as a contract by several people, I guess Boone was just being nice to Moulson.

61. mike g says:

Mike G’s Once In A Lifetime Ultimatum….

I’d like all of you to pay attention to this, please..

Tonight, our good friend CP/Carey Price/The Chosen One/ETC…, will start in goal for the Habs vs the Panthers. We all know how his last 2 starts went, how they should have gone, and what we expect from him this year.

That’s why I’m here to make a statement. That’s how Mike G rolls. Actually I don’t roll, I was never skilled enough, so my friends do it for me. But anyways…..

IF THE HABS DON’T WIN TONGIHT, AND CAREY PRICE DOESN’T PLAY LIKE WE ALL EXPECT HIM TO, Mike G will officially retire from HIO.

That’s right people, I will no longer post on this site if CP plays bad……

Now that’s confidence!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. LA Loyalist says:

I believe that we are in profound disagreement with respect to the Price, but win, lose or draw tonight please stay on HIO and express yourself as colorfully as usual.

Or create a new personna, moving on from JD to Basil Hayden or Knob Creek. :) Just find a way to contribute.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

63. LA Loyalist says:

You mean like the contract Bobby G gave Scott Gomez?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

64. JIMVINNY says:

He didn’t give Gomez that contract.  Gainey traded for it.  Results are the same, but there is a distinction to be made.  And you are more than intelligent enough to recognize the difference.

65. JIMVINNY says:

They can’t buy him out, because they’d be looking at a 4.something million dollar cap hit anyways.  No, he’ll report, because you know what takes care of a big hit to the ego?  6.5 MILLION bucks.  Yep, that amount of money will cure anyone’s ego injuries.

66. habs permanent bandwagon fan says:

Gainey, Gomez.

67. mrhabby says:

redden is only 33..hard to believe his skills simply evaporated to where he might go to the AHL. Your right about a buy out.

68. Mattyleg says:

I’m sure TripleX and TomN are hoping for a quick fade from CP…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. mike g says:

Sorry man, I can’t do that lol…

I must be a man of my words.

And I have faith that CP will pull out a nice W tongiht.

If the big man up there wants me on HIO, CP will perform, lol…

Let’s hope for the best!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

70. TripleX says:

LOL shush!  I was hoping I would not have to break my Twilight piggy bank.  JUST KIDDING!

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

71. habs permanent bandwagon fan says:

why would anyone want him???

72. habs permanent bandwagon fan says:

sounds like habs management, all morons.