Rangers, Habs meet in playoffs for first time since 1996

The Canadiens and New York Rangers will square off in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final Saturday afternoon at the Bell Centre (1 p.m., CBC, NBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Canadiens practised Friday morning in Brossard and Alex Galchenyuk, who has been sidelined since suffering a lower-body injury on April 9 in Chicago, skated on a fifth line rotating with Ryan White, Travis Moen and George Parros. Galchenyuk has been given the OK for full contact.

The first four lines remained the same as they were for Game 7 against the Boston Bruins.

The Rangers practised in New York Friday morning before flying to Montreal.

“We both played in do-or-die Game 7 situations last round, and both of our teams were desperate,” the Canadiens’ Dale Weise told reporters in Brossard after practice. “For them, it was about winning three games in a row. For us, it was about winning two. I think that level of compete is going to be there because it’s the conference finals. I don’t think anything is going to drop off. Our building is going to be rocking on Saturday afternoon. It’s going to be nuts. We’re looking forward to it.”

This marks the first time the the Canadiens and Rangers have met in the playoffs since 1996, when New York eliminated Montreal in six games in the first round. Overall, the teams have met 14 times in the postseason with each team winning seven times.

The Rangers’ Brad Richards is looking forward to playing at the Bell Centre.

“I’m not going to lie, it’s the best place to play,” Richards told reporters in New York on Thursday. “I’ve been fortunate enough to see Super Bowls, I was at Yankees-Red Sox at old Yankee Stadium Game 7, World Series, I’ve played in the Stanley Cup finals.

“I can’t imagine any other sporting event that is this amazing of an atmosphere. It’s very special.”

The Canadiens will be facing a former Montreal coach for the second straight series after knocking off Claude Julien’s Boston Bruins. Alain Vigneault, who started his NHL coaching career with the Canadiens in 1997, is now behind the Rangers bench.

On Sunday, the Rangers players will attend the funeral for Martin St. Louis’s mother in Montreal. France St. Louis died last week of a heart attack at age 63.

Here’s how the Canadiens lines and defence pairings looked at Friday’s practice:

Vanek–Plekanec–Bournival
Gionta–Eller–Bourque
Weise–Briere–Prust
Gallagher–Desharnais–Pacioretty
Moen–White–Parros–Galchenyuk

Markov–Emelin
Gorges–Subban
Murray–Bouillon
Beaulieu–Weaver
Tinordi

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Eastern final will feature good goaltending, familiar faces, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs put Bruins, Lucic in rear-view mirror, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Lucic’s antics an insult to ‘Boston Strong,’ by Jack Todd for The Gazette

No respect for Lucic’s antics, Boston Herald

Subban feels the love after Bruins series, montrealgazette.com

Eller reassured his Dad after Game 5 loss, montrealgazette.com

Lots to talk about after Habs upset Bruins, montrealgazette.com

Rangers pumped up for matchup with Habs, montrealgazette.com

Rangers, Canadiens battle in Original Six series, NHL.com

Insider trading, canadiens.com

The matchup: Montreal vs. New York, canadiens.com

Rangers will attend funeral for St. Louis’s mother, NHL.com

Winning isn’t everything as death of mother shows, New York Daily News

Bleu-Blanc-Rouge vs. Red-White-Blue, Canadiens.com

Lundqvist will revisit weak spot in Montreal, New York Times

Subban is a ‘sniper’ that will bother Rangers, New York Post

Five reasons why Canadiens beat Bruins, NHL.com

Five reasons why Bruins lost to Canadiens, NHL.com

Bruins need to adjust to Candiens’ style, Boston Globe

1. Louisville says:

Let’s not get overconfident heh. There is no doubt the Habs are going to have a serious emotional let down (except for Price), so I expect the game tomorrow to be a challenge. the Habs can certainly take the Rangers in a 7 game series though. It should be fun to watch as Vignault and Therrien do not run goon squads but rather hockey teams. I guess the only sh*t disturber is Carcillo. I think Weise, Prust and others should run him hard and often in game 1, to nullify him from the getgo.

2. JF says:

Scott Cullen comes up with a baseline for predicting the Conference Finals using shots for and against and goaltender save percentage:

Cullen does not actually predict the series, but his numbers suggest the Rangers are more likely to win it.

• boing007 says:

Habs in Five. I’m being generous.

Richard R

• johnnylarue says:

I called Habs in 3 against the Lightning, and was off by one.

I subsequently got cocky and called Habs in 1 against the Bruins. Not proud to admit I was way off on that one.

So this time around, because I respect the Rangers, I’m gonna say Habs in 3.5 games. (Game 4 will end at the 30-minute mark with the refs calling the Mercy Rule after the Habs score to make it 13-1.)

Habs in 3.5.

Book it.

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…French and English …salt and pepper …oil and water

…bleu, blanc et rouge …red, white and blue

…I say ‘up’, and You say ‘down’

…never the twain will meet

…EXCEPT on Our Habs ! :)

4. JF says:

Most people seem very confident we’re going to win this series. The entire RDS panel are predicting a Habs victory. This makes me uneasy. Last series most of them thought the Bruins would win.

I’m not going to make a prediction. I like our chances, I like the fact Lundqvist has struggled against the Habs, I like the fact the Rangers have had two tough seven-game series with almost no rest since the beginning of the playoffs. But so much can happen in a playoff series, and they’re a better team than they’re generally given credit for. If they’re perceived as the underdogs, that’ll add to their motivation. They already have an emotionally powerful rallying point in the death of St. Louis’s mother.

• mark-ID says:

JF, I think the reason why people are choosing the Habs to win this series is because they have shown during the last few months….just how resiliant they are as a team. No prolonged losing streaks, come out better after a loss.
      Just because a few people choose them to win over the Rangers…shouldn’t affect the way these guys are going to play.

Although they might not be underdogs…they know that there will be people waiting to knock them down….as soon as they have a slip up. I fully expect that we will continue to see a hungry, and extremely hard working team. One thing I think we a learning…is that the coaching staff…..always seems to have the boys ready to play, mentally.

Finally, I think there is a fine line between being confident that your team will win, and being cocky and erogant about it. I think the guys at RDS have just seen what the rest of us have throughout the playoffs….and that is a very good hockey team.

Oh yea, and we have the best goalie in the world…….today!

• JF says:

You’re certainly right that the team has shown great resilience in the last couple of months. And I agree that they’ve become a very good hockey team. I guess I just feel more comfortable when they’re the underdogs – maybe because I’ve gotten so used to it.

• At the same time there is media in NYC who are picking the Rags to win, so I wouldn’t take what everyone says too seriously. I mean the greatest hockey minds at TSN had them not making the playoffs, and the Leafs going all the way in November.

This will be good series, not great like round two, but good.

CARYEY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Don’t Poke The Bear

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – I think it’s a 50/50 proposition right now. The teams seem pretty even with the Habs D getting the nod over the Rangers and New York’s forwards having an edge if guys like Nash and St Louis catch fire. Montreal also had home ice advantage if that means anything. It’s a small point, but the Habs getting two days rest and not having to travel to NY should help. Especially in light of the 1PM start.

When it’s all said and done this series just might come down to a contest between Vanek/Max/Pleks and Nash/St Louis/Richards.

24.6 Cups

• JF says:

Steve – I”m hoping that the extra rest after the series against Tampa will pay dividends, not to mention the week spent in Florida late in the season – a break many criticized but I thought was a great idea. I have to think that the Rangers’ compressed schedule since the beginning of the playoffs will catch up to them at some point.

As for our forwards, I don’t expect a lot of goals from Plekanec; as far as I’m concerned, he’s doing his job if he continues to play as well defensively as he’s done so far, while scoring the occasional goal and creating a few chances. We need more from Vanek, but I’m very encouraged by Pacioretty’s play the last couple of games. He’s playing with more of an edge, he’s getting to the net more, and he’s going into the dirty areas. His natural tendency seems to be as a sniper, but I think he’s getting better at playing a more physical game. And Desharnais silenced his critics in Games six and seven.

5. C-Sword says:

I’m surprised by the amount of fans on the other Habs forums that want Bourque to be the odd man out. Did we watch the same games? He was our best forward in round 1 and against the Sens last year. Sure, he only scored once against the Bruins, but he was involved physically, he skated hard and was effective with his backchecking. Perhaps, Gionta is the one slowing Eller’s line down.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…great Galchenyuk is back, but Therrien should show first His loyalty to the group that over-came a very difficult foe

…but, WE are fortunate to have Galchenyuk awaiting in the wings

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think why We become invested in sport is because it is a mini-microcosm of human nature …it reflects Our own Lives …Our trials and tribulations …it’s euphoric highs of satisfaction …Our morals and values

…it, sport, for Us ‘hockey’, and more specifically for Us, the Montreal Canadien’s Fans, the never resolved war between right and wrong of ‘fair-play’, the never-ending battles between well-intentioned humanity and evil-doers …Our class and classlessness

…being a Habs’ Fan is a psychic Rorschach test of interpretations of Our values and Our humanity

…now, there are many among Us that will fail that test :) …but, overall, it holds true

…the World is full of Hitlers, Pol Pots, Putins, Stalins, Gaddafis, Saddam Husseins, bigger and smaller …bullies all around Us

…they succeed for awhile using fear, threats of destruction, and disdain of decency

…I have lived through the eras of the Philidelphia Flyers devolving hockey into a Roman circus of blood-letting and intimidation, and the today Boston Bruins’ plodding horde of Mongols

…to Me they debased the potential honor, decency and beauty of the game to the point that many normally fair-minded in hockey wanted to emulate them as the only way to compete

…I am proud as a Montreal Canadiens Fan that both times it was ‘Us’ that stood-up emphatically to show the weak-minded, Our sport can be played with beauty of the game, courage and civility …that We will conquer crassness and knuckle-dragging low-minded ethics every-time

• Loop_Garoo says:

Very well written. I do believe another large part of it is a sense of community, belonging and identity. Being a fan, especially of certain teams, becomes part of our sense of belonging and our beliefs about who we are. Many of us on this site, when asked to describe ourselves, would say, “husband”, “wife” “father” “accountant” “habs fan” etc. This is also part of the reason our teams success and failure hits us so hard. I think in our world today we have lost a lot of our sense of community, so passions become even more intense.

7. Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Does anyone know if Mr. Robert Cole is calling the series or not?

———————————————————————————-
    “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

8. C-Sword says:

Mario Lemieux giving credits to the Habs:

DK: OK, then, so what does this team look like to you going forward? And I know that’ll ultimately be up to the new GM, but what does that look like to you in the context of this NHL with what you see around the league? Because you’re not seeing as much obstruction as in the past. You’re seeing teams come back from big deficits.

Lemieux: Yeah. You need speed. Look at Montreal, the way they’re built. They have some smaller forwards, but they’re all speedy and they’ve got grit, and they’ve got character. That’s probably what we’d like to have.

9. bwoar says:

Holy smokes a lot of people talking about the last series! Who was that team we beat again? I can’t recall them being anything special.

10. CH Marshall says:

The Rags can say whatever they want. We want to beat those guys. I’m sure the will is still strong with the boys. Same mission same gameplan

11. FANHABULOUS says:

Lots of talk about what to do with Chucky, now that he’s ready. I have faith that MT (along with the whole coaching and management group) will know exactly when to plug him into the lineup.

But the best part, for me at least, is that having a guy with such special talent chomping at the bit to get in, means that it will keep everyone else in the lineup honest…cause they know they have to play well or get pulled out. That just makes the team so much better, cause you know the effort will be there.

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

12. Michelob says:

I get that the Rangers will be attending the funeral of Martin St-Louis’s mother on Sunday. Not only is it the right thing to do, they are sure to ride the emotion into the next game. Good on them. But tell me, why wouldn’t the Canadiens players also attend the funeral? Is Martin not a respected NHL hockeyeur, everywhere in the league, and especially here? Take a timeout from the hostilities, show some class.

13. 25insight says:

YES, YES, and YES again. I love this Canucks fan who hates the Booins as much as we do. The first ten seconds had me in stitches.

14. Habcouver says:

Wow! Fred Shero fired! I mean, Ray Shero :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

15. JUST ME says:

I understand what people mean by the need to be carefull after such an emotional duel and the predictable let down but i would like to point out that the emotionnal part of the duel against the Fruins was entirely in their heads. That just may be the biggest victory our guys had over those …(insert desired word here)
    The habs kept on doing what the needed and marched on game by game very level headed .

The next round will not involve that much hatred i admit but the psychological reserves on the Hab`s side is intact and they are favorite to win this serie because they showed such poise and composure. So i trust our habs to play their game and get the same results as they did since the playoffs started.

Therrien is getting much deserved praise, but never forget who set the tone and ethics from the very get go. Mr. Bergevin has established the team concept foundation from the very 1st day. Also no excuse’s philosophy!!

17. habs_54321 says:

keep chucky out until there is an injury, he will be far from game ready shape

18. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

I’M GONNA TURN THE CAPSLOCK OFF TO MAKE A SERIOUS POINT HERE

I still can’t believe it. Ever since 2009 I’ve been fantasizing about us getting our revenge against the Boston B*tches, exposing them for the whiney bunch of wilting cowards and divers that hey are.

I always thought that we would have to beat them up physically to have any hope of winning (like the Flyers in ’76). I had no idea they could be beaten without getting a beating.

It’s almost surreal.

19. Kooch7800 says:

I wonder if Cammy regrets his comments when he was a hab ….lol

• C-Sword says:

Just imagine having him instead of Gionta on Eller’s line…

• D Mex says:

Gionta has been a pro and an overall good presence – never the distraction that Cammalleri became.

Cammalleri prompted his own departure – arguably, his motivation here was waning by then. He got the souvenir jersey / went nowhere at the 2014 trade deadline. Done & dealt with.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Habcouver says:

It’s funny. I don’t really miss Cammy. Perhaps the Bork heroics have eased the memory. Besides, it wasn’t cool to criticize a team publicly, especially one as storied as the Habs.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

We will take this series in 5 games boys and girls!
    But the cup series will be the toughest round!

21. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Now it’s a competition of the signs. Size apparently matters.
    Go HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Hobie says:

Tony Amonte was just on Montreal talking about Michel Therrien. He mentioned that Therrien has shown the ability to have his troops hit the reset button and get ready for the next game during the majority of the season and playoffs.

I hope he’s correct!

• DipsyDoodler says:

That is correct. I’ve been saying all year that Therrien’s greatest achievement this season was keeping the ship on an even keel. He’s managed to make every slump as short as possible, and kept the team consistently competitive for two years now.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• frontenac1 says:

Sure seems like eh? After a stinker they come back even better than the last time. Great group of guys and a great coach.

• Hobie says:

I mentioned it because that was an absolutely massive series both emotionally and physically against Boston. So Therrien’s ability to get the team refocused will really be tested to get ready for the Rangers.

23. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Lots of people taking the rags lightly. Frankly this series worries me the most. Maybe it’s just because i fear not being the underdog. Less fuel for the fire. But realistically this will come down to goaltending as most series do. Price is in the zone and the whole team seems to feed off that.

If people think cbc has a leafs bias(personally i don’t care who thinks or says what about our team) get ready to vomit from the man crush gushing over Richards from Mclean.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m not taking the Rags lightly, and I’m sure the Habs aren’t either…

But I do think the emotional come-down from such an epic series against our oldest, most despised rival could be a factor. Granted, knowing that we’re four wins away from the Final should be enough to trump that, but these Habs play better with a chip on their shoulder and this is something they’ll have to compensate for against the Rags.

This series will have a drastically different complexion. Getting to Hank as quickly as possible and holding home ice advantage will be key. Suffice to say, if we can get in Hank’s head and get AV thinking about starting Cam Talbot for Game 3, the series is basically ours.

I’m buying the hype, though: provided our forwards can put up a few goals, I just don’t see Carey Price “The Stephane Waite Edition” flinching from hereon in. He looks absolutely, horrifyingly dialled-in right now.

• Mavid ® says:

Nobody i know is taking them lightly..they are a worthy opponent but I do thinks we can win this series

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

At this point in time I would like to give props to a player and ex-GM who I have been critical of.

1st. Bob Gainey.
    I love the direction the Habs are going now, not to mention that they are in the ECF’s. Would we even imagine BG jumping for joy or dancing or wearing his emotions on his sleeve? Never. Gainey was Mr. Poker Face incarnate. Would we see BG land Vanek for a song or would we have had to witness the farm being sold for Gaborik? OK. I am here to laud BG not bury him. The fact is he set the Habs franchise right after faltering and being in the wilderness for far too long. I still think Gainey lacked the killer instinct to close the deal and bring the Habs to the next level but the work he did during his tenure laid the foundation for which the current management is working with. Fortunately the good foundation is looking to support a perennial contender moving forward. So kudos and thanks to BG for starting the process to building a champion.

2nd. David Desharnais.
    I said before game 6 that he would need to step it up or else I was concerned about his effectiveness as a top line centre come play-off time. He delivered in games 6 and 7 in spades. In game six his play and determination in the crease to save a goal against was heroic… his stick thwarted the puck enough so that Lucic couldn’t swat it in, and he had the presence of mind to bat the puck back with his glove while never letting go of his stick. In game 7 he literally took the puck away from 3 Bruins and then deked a gifted pass to Patches for the game winner. Kudos for his grit and determination to go with his vision and hockey smarts and stepping it up when the going got insanely tough.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Well said.

(I’d also give props to Gauthier but that might be a step too far.)

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• CH Marshall says:

He was nice enough to sell Cammy’s jersey back to him after trading him mid-game

• franco says:

Gautier landed Bounavil, Bourgue, Eller, and landed a 3rd overall pick by trading off valuable assets. Not a lot of mistakes to report, maybe a quirky personality but a good hockey man.

It took 3 G.M.’s to put the puzzle together and a few years of failure.

wjc

• Commandant says:

Gauthier’s biggest failings were in people management, not in roster management.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Yah and his great management brought the Habs to a 28th place finish too. (with a #1 rating in thesoftness/vulnerability ratings)…his knee jerk reaction to “right the ship” was to sign a guy I like…but still not a game changer…(he’s back in the ‘A’)

• CH Marshall says:

Agréés on both points. The blueprint here is Gainey’s. Drafting Subban second round, what a steal. And as for DD, I was harping on him before game 6 and hoping I’d eat some crow. So he’s gotta keep it up cause I like eating crow!

• ooder says:

in gaineys defense, he did land kovalev.. find he helped the habs progress alot, but couldnt get them over the perenial hump

• Cal says:

Gainey and the Ghost laid the foundations and MB has the timing and the luck to benefit from what the left behind. Players like Price, PK, Gally, Eller, Bourque, Emelin, Gorges and too many for a guy just home for the long weekend to contemplate.
      This has been a remarkable convergence of players and opponents.
      Can’t wait for Saturday at 1PM!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes, the Gainey years weren’t a wasteland like the Rejean Houle era or the Irving Grundman debacle. He did more things right than he did wrong. I thought when he hired Guy Carbonneau as head coach, that we were set for a decade at least, and bound for success. It didn’t work out, but it wasn’t a disaster or anything.

25. C-Sword says:

According to this article, the Habs players went after Chara’s injured hand.

”The report said that Chara suffered the injury in Game 4, though it was in Game 3 that Chara was slashed on the hand by Michael Bournival and then spent several minutes in the locker room. Chara returned to that game, and he played the rest of the series, but he was clearly not his Norris-level self.”

Chara was again slashed in the hand by Max Pacioretty in Game 7, which prompted Chara to let go of his stick and show clear pain before heading to the bench. Pacioretty attempted to hit the hand with another slash later in the game, perhaps an indication that the Canadiens were aware of Chara’s injury.”

26. Say Ash says:

Just hope that Nash doesn’t wake up

27. Danno says:

“Wondrous things are happening but they’re only halfway. C’mon boys, take out the Rangers and keep the hopes and dreams alive.”

It’s About This

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

28. habs001 says:

This year Galchenyuk showed his offensive skill in many games and would have scored 20 goals if not for the injury…The big concern with him is his D zone play..frankly it was very poor in covering his man or fighting to clear the puck out of the zone…

29. CHicoHab says:

Anyone know game 2 is Monday or Tuesday??

30. sCOTT1243 says:

Why am I not nervous….Ya Rangers are good, but definitely beatable the way we are playing. Rangers more like a TBay, and look what we did to them.

Excited to see if we they can continue playing at this level, and after playing against Looch, marchand and Chara, Carcillo gonna seem like Mother Theresa!

31. D Mex says:

@ HiB

Reference exchange (below) re : franchises other than Boston that might tolerate the recent trend of BS by their coach and players, interested in your thoughts on this :

D Mex MAY 16, 2014 AT 2:00 PM
    They (Philly) were the first potential response to the question I considered, but I’m not sure they would condone the b!tchiness that characterizes the crap we’ve been seeing from Boston for years now. Could be, tho.

For the sake of discussion, let’s agree that Philly is the only other option for guys like Lucic and Marchand :

WHAT do you think this does to their bargaining position when it comes time to re-negotiate contracts. I mean, their leverage would be ” I can go to Philly or … ? …”
    Additionally, Philly is usually full up when it comes to morons.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

32. CHicoHab says:

@Ali. If you have iPhone download cbc sports. Game costs $2.99. If you have rogers anyplace tv they have an app as well. Or try justin tv app. Sometimes works. Sometimes not.

33. CHicoHab says:

Julien in his presser said no disrespect in chest thumping. A reference to Boston strong and that they’ve been doing it all year. It’s the first time I saw it. Anyone else seen it used by bruins during the season???

Only saw it at the Zoo.

• ooder says:

i’ve seen done before, it was stupid back then and it is stupid now

• DipsyDoodler says:

Is it just me, or is justifying your poor sportsmanship by appealing to the Boston Marathon tragedy a bit distasteful.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Very distasteful. And i mean who pounds their chest after an empty net goal? Not Eller and Vanek.

• Luke says:

If you have to explain how something is a tribute to something than it’s not really a good tribute.

And, how does chest pounding, hooting and hollering tie back to the Boston Marathon bombing anyways?
        The unity and sense of togetherness that sad event created in the running population is certainly contradicted by the “look at me!” bravdo displayed by the Bruins (let’s be honest, primarily Lucic) in this event.

Boychuk’s double six gun “Boom!” celebration?
        Thornton (& +1’s) water spray?
        Marchand’s juvenile & unsuccessful baiting?

Were those Boston Strong tributes as well?

If CJ insists on relating this behaviour to the concept ‘Boston Strong’, he is doing nothing but tarnishing it.

34. Ali says:

anyone know where i can catch tomorrows game on demand? I have a sailing class all afternoon and would love to be able to watch the game but don’t have PVR. Any help would be greatly appreciated fellow hab fans.

New Playoff Round, new avatar image of Mara!

Edit: Okay hasn’t kicked in yet…..

Edit: Okay there it is.

• Chris says:

Ben: One addendum to the Knights in your preview. The loss of Stolarz hurt, but the losses of both Brady Austin and Zach Bell was a much bigger blow. Austin was out with mononucleosis, while Bell broke his leg in the first round.

Both guys are cleared to play in the Memorial Cup, which makes the London defence a LOT better than what the Storm saw in the second round. The Storm struggled with the big , veteran defencemen on North Bay in the OHL finals, and both Bell (6’2″, 233 pounds) and Austin (6’4″, 225 pounds) fall into that category.

Christian Dvorak may not play…he’s been out since December with a bad knee injury and only just received medical clearance. Given the long layoff, the depth that the Knights have at forward and his draft status, he may decide that it isn’t worth the risk (the Knights are giving his agent and his parents heavy say into whether he plays).

I’m obviously cheering for Guelph, but their penchant for dialing up a stinker every once in a while (5-2 loss against Erie in Round 3, 7-2 loss to London in Round 2, blowing a 5-0 lead to lose 6-5 in Sudbury during the regular season) can really burn them in the Memorial Cup format.

Their greatest weapon is their speed. In a 7-game series, I will take Guelph against any team in the country because their relentless attack just wears you down. I don’t think anybody can skate with them for a whole series. But in a one-and-done tournament where you only have to play them once, that massive speed weapon gets neutralized a bit.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for that Ben. Did you catch my question to the Commentariat below? What draft-eligible player should I be keeping an eye out for? Anyone on Val-D’Or the Canadiens would be interested in?

EDIT: Never mind Ben, plowing through your preview and finding all the info I need.

• Commandant says:

This memorial cup isn’t very good for 2014 draft eligibles. All four teams are very veteran heavy, and aren’t really featuring many of the big time 17 year olds. This is a big contrast to last year where we had Drouin, McKinnon and Jones.

That said, Robby Fabbri is the Storm’s first line centre and he’s a stud. But past him, there isn’t much.

36. Chrisadiens says:

This series is going to be completely different. AV has already been quoted saying he respects the Habs and cannot find a weakness to exploit against the Habs.

Habs HAVE to find motivation from within, there will be no bulletin board material coming from the Rangers….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Kooch7800 says:

AV is a class guy. The rivalry will have to be created on the ice. I just hope the habs can come out flying. Will be a much different series than against Boston.

I feel much better going into the this ECF than when we did with Halak. The team in front of Halak was outplayed every game. This time it is much much different.

37. The Gumper says:

As has been said before, MB has done one helluva job putting together a Championship team in relatively short order (and I do believe we are going to win it all). We’ve all discussed the Briere, Vanek, Weise and Weaver additions but I think one person that has been integral to our team success and is often overlooked is our new goalie whisperer Stephane Waite. Price has always has the raw goods and enormous potential but I really think that Waite has taken his abilities to a higher and more refined level. He has done it before and, from what I can see from here, has been flawless in improving every goal tender that he has worked with. I have always been a Price fan but in the past he was a bit of a crap shoot in high pressure games. His playoff record was decent but unspectacular. He is now perhaps the best goalie on the planet, (2 goals in 5 elimination games against some very powerful clubs…. wow)! His confidence is sky high at the moment and if we’re going to give MB the key to the city (and rightly so), Mr. Waite’s name should be in that conversation.

38. ont fan says:

Mike Weir and Graham DeLaet leading Byron Nelson at 6 under.

39. Louisville says:

Is anybody giving odds on Julien being fired this summer. Neely has wanted him gone for a long time. This is his big chance to get rid of him.

• Timo says:

Really? Why did he want to get rid of him? I mean, we all hate Julien, but I’d say he did a pretty good job with that goon squad. Is Neely thinking Lucic for the head coaching position?

• D Mex says:

Julien did a ” pretty good job “, huh ?
        He was out-coached – badly – in round 2 by Michel Therrien.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Paz says:

I would say Julien is considered one if the 5 best coaches in the game.

• D Mex says:

By extension, then, Michel Therrien is Top 4.

I say Nilan’s got it right : Julien’s the ringleader in Boston, and a whiner to boot.
          He was schooled by Michel Therrien in round 2 – plain & simple.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

Seems to me Coaches are only as good as their most recent results, fair or not. Next year Julien will need to prove himself.

• D Mex says:

As will every one of his players.

Interesting that, after capturing the President’s Trophy before coming up short in the 2011 playoffs, the Canucks began to slip and lose traction. Look at where the Canucks are today – now, hold that thought and look to Boston.

One can only hope.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• DipsyDoodler says:

Coaches are only as good as their goalkeeper.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• BigB says:

I doubt he’ll go. He finished the regular season with the president’s trophy.

Maybe mid next year?

Habs forever!

• songles says:

That would be absurd. Julien has had incredible success with that team.

• Ton says:

Bruins will not change there persona………..there trademark is to play like cam neely and lucic…………..and yes neely does not like Julien! i am predicting Julien will resign from that team and take a year off…………….and yes he is a good coach…….gainey didn’t like his conservative style (ironic this is the way gainey played) for the habs trade mark is to have skating team!

40. Puck Bard says:

Made the mistake of checking out some Bruins Blogs….

OUCH!!!! It’s just Swearing and GIFs and Noise.

Thank you, HI/O for having some guidelines of decency.

• Habilis says:

Not even a little bit surprised. When you have a team full of goons and bullies who can’t express themselves beyond cheap shots and threats, you’re bound to have a fan base full of the same.

One thing that makes me smile about all of this is that it’s not even an act for guys like Lucic. He really is that stupid. Dude spent almost the entirety of the series concerned with smacking his chest and flexing his muscles. He was so obsessed with all the antics and with trying to decapitate Emelin and Weise that he forgot to play hockey. Marchand was too busy punching people and snowing the goalie to be bothered with something silly like helping his team win games.

I hope these players remain in Boston forever.

41. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s going to be hard to focus on the Memorial Cup with the Canadiens still in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but I’m going to try to catch some games, if only to keep tabs on last year’s first-rounder Michael McCarron. I did go to Google however to find out which 2014 draft eligible players I should keep an eye out for.

I know a few of your are up on your junior hockey, is there anything else I should be watching for, prospects-wise, or generally?

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

42. habbel says:

I can’t remember anything like the handshake debacle in my experience watching playoff hockey, maybe Brodeur/Avery. If it does happen all the time as Cherry says it’s kept low key. I think lucic wanted the cameras to pick it up…and good on Weiss for letting the media know. If he does go after him next year, which he will…then it’s a pre meditated act of violence which will probably result in suspension.
    09425

• Marek says:

I may be wrong, but didn’t Lucy do some shenanigans in the line up last year after they beat the leafs. Tapped diane in the nuts or something?

• HardHabits says:

Why do people say Weise went to the media? They asked him. It was obvious from the NBC tape. They broke the ice. Weise said Lucic said some disrespectful words and did not repeat what he said. Weise shrugged it off when he was questioned as well as when on the ice shaking hands. Lucic dug his own hole then goes and calls Weise a baby afterwards. All this and Lucic has a book for kids against bullying. Lucic is the epitome of a bully. Wiese is all class.

43. HankHardball says:

If I had to choose between playing a series against the Lightning or the Rangers, I’d choose the Rangers. And the Habs swept the Lightning.

So I like the Habs chances against the Rangers. But they still have to do it on the ice.

American teams have won the last 19 Stanley Cups in row.
    It’s Canada’s turn.

44. Ton says:

why I am reading predictions of so called experts picking rangers over habs………..this is worrying me.

45. Here’s the question… does Bourque return as a Habs or is his value upped enough to move him?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Loop_Garoo says:

I love what he did these playoffs, but am hoping his value rose and we can get a decent prospect or draft pick and ditch the salary. I’d rather use that 3 million for someone who gives it all everynight instead, even if they don’t have the 25 goal potential that Bourque does.

• songles says:

I don’t know… if anything, these playoffs are proving that it’s more important to have players who turn it on under the pressure of the post-season than it is to have consistency all the way through the line-up. I mean, Briere was signed with precisely this dynamic in mind. You can ride a good goalie and a line of hyper-skilled snipers/playmakers through the regular season, but when it comes playoff time, you need some pressure-sensitive veterans (and rookies, for that matter) on your team who can chip in for that third and fourth line offense.

46. Strummer says:

Lucic wasn’t the only Bruin lacking class on Wednesday.
    The Bruin coaching staff didn’t shake hands with the Hab players.

The Bruins as a whole were in a state of shock. They expected to win the series and couldn’t process that they lost.

Lucic was probably the most embarassed because his foolish antics earlier in the series drew attention to him the most when they lost. he couldn’t deal with it and being as immature as he is lashed out at Weise and Emelin.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

47. Louisville says:

Some of the Boston Globe reporters saying that the Bruins have to change to be more like the Canadiens. The physical hockey according to them is a disadvantage when playing a speed and finesse time like the Habs.

Well I’ll be a stuffed pig. I guess the Habs have truly arrived.

• Louisville says:

Personally I think the Bruins are one of the best teams in the game. The problem is that that the idiot coach let the bullying and the sideshows take over the game. Frankly if Bylsma gets fired, I would bring him into Boston immediately. Bylsma like his team to play on the edge but he does not let his team continuously cross the line.

By the way, a lot of people saying the rat Marchand will be traded in the summer.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think it is actually pretty simple. The Bruins are one of the best teams in the league, but as soon as that goon side comes out, they are very vulnerable. Every time Montreal beats them, it’s by outskating and frustrating them.

• Old Bald Bird says:

To me, their strength is also their Achilles heel. They are so intent on hitting and punishing that they go out of their way to do so. You can be tough without going crazy. But for now anyway, TG they are like this. Hopefully, they will never change.

48. Louisville says:

The problem with the Pens is not the coach or the GM. The problem is Sidney Crosby. He takes up way too much space on that team. He is selfish and I’m guessing most of the players do not want to play with him. If you look at the Pens record over the last three years, they seem to have played their best hockey when he was injured. Jonathan Toews is the best player in the world, not Crosby. If the new GM is smarty he trades Crosby and Fleury to the Bruins for Bergeron and Rask. Crosby would fit right in with the whining, diving and dirty plays.

• tophab says:

PK is the best in the world.

• JUST ME says:

Who gave him that much space ?

I agree with what you say but not the way you see it. All the weight of the world should not be on Sid`s shoulders but this is not his choice who he plays with, what the complete roster looks like and how many t.o.i. he gets.

• Colombiahabs says:

If the new GM trades Crosby he won’t be the GM for very long. You should wait til after lunch to start drinking buddy!

• Louisville says:

As long as Crosby takes up that much space on the team the Pens will never win another Stanley Cup. If the GM does not find a way to reduce the swelling of the noggen, he has no choice but to trade him.

• Paz says:

I’d give Crosby all the “space” he needed to captain the Habs.

Something went wrong in that room, but Crosby will be back, big time.

I’ve been watching him since Rimouski, and I will be telling my grandchildren about him when they ask.

• Chris says:

I would argue that the problem on the Penguins is not Crosby or Malkin, but a lack of offensive depth behind them.

James Neal, after scoring at a 40-goal clip the past two seasons, slumped to 27 goals this year and was pretty much invisible in the playoffs. Getting nothing out of Vitale, Stempniak, and Bennett was devastating.

You can have two stars like Malkin and Crosby (combined cap hit of $19.2 M) if your role players are also going.

The Penguins were unlucky in that Crosby and Malkin basically dominated too quickly, and the they probably overpaid both guys on their bridge contract. But I don’t really hang that on the players as much as I put it on the Penguins’ management. They were so scared of losing either guy down the road that they basically offered them the stars right away.

The Blackhawks are going to contend with this same problem after next season, as the bridge deals that Kane and Toews signed expire and they won’t be signing for anything less than $17 M (and probably closer to the $19 or $20 million mark). They have this year and next year left before the break-up of that team starts. Getting Keith and Hossa on those 13- and 12-year deals that were just as egregious as the Kovalchuk one that the NHL objected has allowed the Blackhawks to avoid the Penguins’ problem. Does anybody really believe that Hossa is going to play for $1 M per season at ages 39-42? :)

The difference between the Pens and the Blackhawks is that the Blackhawks’ various salary cap shenanigans (the Huet transfer, the Keith and Hossa deals, the qualifying offer shenanigans that ultimately cost Dale Tallon his job, which could have seen them pay Corey Crawford and Bryan Bickell a lot more money back in 2009) were all swept under the rug by the NHL, while the Penguins didn’t try (and succeed!) to cheat the system.

Stan Bowman and Dale Tallon before him did a nice job with managing the salary cap. But man did they get some help along the way. :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agree Chris, the poster you’re responding too is making a leap with no facts or insights to support his postulate. The few reports I’ve read from Pittsburgh media clearly state that Mr. Shero is being blamed for not providing enough depth, enough supporting players for his team’s stars. The Vancouver media has been having a chuckle over Tanner Glass being on that team, as an indicator of a poor fourth line. Sidney Crosby isn’t a problem, and as Paz says, I’d gladly deal with it on my team if the Pens thought he was.

As far as James Neal, I’m not sure how his playoffs went, but his regular season was marred by injuries and suspensions. Now the latter was avoidable, and discipline has always been a problem for this player, but he was reasonably productive even though he didn’t have smooth sailing. His 27 goals pro-rate to just shy of fourty if he’d played a full schedule and hadn’t been playing through injuries. I’m keenly aware of this, because I carried him on my fantasy team roster, and it hurt when he wasn’t playing, but once he’d get going he would produce reliably.

• Chris says:

2 goals in 13 playoff games was not getting it done. His struggles ultimately led Bylsma to panic and throw Malkin up to the Crosby line to at least get the two superstars going, as only Sutter and Jokinen seemed to have anything among the other forwards.

It was a really weak supporting cast in Pittsburgh. They had a good defence corps, decent goaltending and a few forwards. But too many guys slumped, and they had too little talent on the 3rd and 4th lines.

• CH Marshall says:

Sid is the real GM on that team

• D Mex says:

I’d cast Crosby as a Coach / GM Consultant with ‘ special ‘ status.
        Mario Lemieux hovers in the background there, too.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

49. Strummer says:

I’m sure Gally and Looch will have a laugh over beers this summer in B.C. about the “handshake”

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I was just thinking we could make a new tradition.
      Wheel out a keg and have a beer and a handshake.

Sounds like Rugby! One of my buddies at the pub played professional rugby in England, he asked me about the Lucic handshake stuff. I explained to him what happened, his view was Lucic should be suspended to start the next season. My buddy isn’t a huge hockey fan, he just follows it loosely, but felt this was as despicable an act as any athlete could do. His comment was no matter how bad he beat the “bleep” out of someone on the field, after the game it is over and forgotten, shake hands and enjoy a pint together. He says, sure sometimes you still want to get the guy, but that happens in a game next year, for now it is time to be a respectful winner or loser.

Kind of thought it was interesting just how severe he felt Lucic’s actions were, considering he was completely unbiased on his views of both teams.

Think I will defer to whatever MT decides on Galchenyuk, Tinordi etc…..

Like MT or not, he has been rolling the craps table dice like a winner all playoffs, I am not yet prepared to concede to the commentariat’s choices over his.

• Hobie says:

I agree with this post.

• Prop says:

Chucky will probably not play for a bit. From what I read on Twitter he needs to get back in game shape and get his timing back.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Strummer says:

I’m definitely giving MT a longer leash ;-)

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• JUST ME says:

Got to give it to M.T. If he does make a change and chances are he will if need be, it will not be taken as a demotion by the guy chosen to be out of the lineup because it has been that way since day 1 of the season. And it works! Right now everyone on that roster deserves a spot !

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re not thinking straight Burly. Have you seen Tinner’s beard? Taken a good look at it? We MUST deploy it!

Stupid clueless MT wrecking our chances in the third round, I will mutter pre-emptively…

51. C-Sword says:

I like Galchenyuk, but he shouldn’t be dressed in favor of someone else unless we lose and can’t score. Briere has proven once again to be a clutch player in the playoffs, Bourque is throwing his weight around and Prust will be motivated to play against his former team. I’d like to see White as well, but hey they cannot all play.

52. Psycho29 says:

Joe McDonald‏ @ESPNJoeyMac ·7m
    Lucic: “I can’t take back what I said, so I’m not apologizing for what was said in the handshake.”

No surprise….
    So I guess he just admitted to it?

• D Mex says:

I was going to comment on the logic of this statement.
      Instead, I’ll just say ” Wow “.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

He continues to impress eh?

• D Mex says:

I ask this question quite seriously :
          – Other than Boston, which NHL franchise(s) would find this kind of BS, including Julien’s relentless whining, acceptable ?

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

Philadelphia?

• D Mex says:

They were the first potential response to the question I considered, but I’m not sure they would condone the b!tchiness that characterizes the crap we’ve been seeing from Boston for years now. Could be, tho.

I mean, their leverage would be ” I can go to Philly or … ? …” Additionally, Philly is usually full up when it comes to morons.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Psycho29 says:

Like Nilan said on the air yesterday, “Lucic is dumber than a bag of hammers”.

That Lucic quote just proved it….

• JUST ME says:

Denial is a mechanism to protect one self when pain is too intense.
      He will have all summer to think about it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Keep painting yourself into that corner Milan. Eventually, that bitterness will eat a hole in your stomach.

How easy would it be for him to just say: “I got carried away, and I messed up big time. I’ve had some time to think about it, now that the heat of the series has died down, and I regret saying that. I called Dale and Alexei and apologized to them personally, and I want to apologize to my teammates, the Canadiens and their fans, and hockey fans in general.”

There. Done. He’s a hero again, and he gets to enjoy his summer.

Instead, he has to continue being a Big Bad Bruins. Shame.

• jctremblay says:

He’s going to deal with it..allll..summer…longggg..I’d go into hiding if I was him. He’s the poster boy for poor sportsmanship every mom and dad will be holding up for their kids as what NOT to do…lol..good times!

53. frontenac1 says:

Off to the Saloon for The Friday Board Meeting amigos. Lots of Lies to be told this week.Hope that reverse post for No Free Booze works. Saludos!

54. CHicoHab says:

I read that Julien and assistants didn’t line up to shake hands. Did MT and assistants by pass too?? Or did they get in line?? Anyone know?

55. JF says:

J.T. giving a lot of credit to Michel Therrien:

56. D Man says:

For all the “Bring the cup back to Canada” folks. Great if we do but I wouldn’t feel much satisfaction if it was another team. I say bring the cup back to Hab fans.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Hobie says:

I agree for the most part.

If Vancouver, Toronto or Ottawa won the cup I’d be more disappointed than happy.

If Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg won it I’d be happy for Canada and each city.

• Puck Bard says:

I was living in T.O. for Gilmore-Wendell-Felix; I liked that team.

No problems with Oilers, Wayne’s team.

Jets are innocuous.

Flames? Never.

Vancouver? So much fun watching them lose in the finals.

Sens? I hate them the worst, no warm and fuzzies from me.

• HABS_FAN_NS says:

I agree. Myself I usually stop paying attention when Montreal gets knocked out. If Montreal doesn’t get the cup than it could be Florida for all I care it doesn’t matter to me. We had our shared moment of glory for Canada at the Olympics. Most other Canadian fans belittle the Habs all year so why should we care what they think? If we win its for our fan base and no one else.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d root for any Canadian team that plays good exciting hockey. Heck, if the Leafs got rid of their goons, cleaned up their act, if Nazem Kadri and Dion Phaneuf would stop their cheap shots and dirty tricks, and just played hockey to their potential, I’d cheer them on in the playoffs, as long as they weren’t playing our boys.

57. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

To Galchenyuk or not ?
    Past history has shown the coach will not disturb a winning lineup, sometimes to his detriment.
    Galchenyuk is an improvement over several of our players.
    I could easily see him in for Briere in the away games.
    Good to have dep!

• Is he? Actually, he struggled this year with all the line changing. Better let him re-learn how to trust his knee next year and move forward with his development then throw him into the fire. Like the kid, but not completely sold on him yet.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I think your tad overcautious. I agree he needs to show more but on the 4th line he could to that and make a difference.

58. CHicoHab says:

Denis Potvin on hockey central show. Says Weise shouldn’t have let media know what Lucic said. Should just be happy habs won and that should be enough. Brad May agreed.

• JUST ME says:

The thing that seems obvious to me is that we will move on not later than tomorrow and they won`t . All those defending Lucic ,praising the Bruins,cursing the refs and all that crap will have to live with it the whole summer and talk about it, talk about it and go around in circle until they make changes. Let them deal with the madness and us with the puck.

• D Mex says:

Denis Potvin talks, and Brad May agrees.
      Is this supposed to persuade – anybody ?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Old Bald Bird says:

What am I missing? He didn’t let the media know what Lucy said. And still hasn’t.

• CJ says:

Further, he was asked. It was painfully obvious watching the NBC feed that something was said. The reporter asked and Weise said that Lucic was disrespectful. How this is turned by Potvin I will never know. The guy is a hack.

Hall of fame player, but a two bit announcer. I wouldn’t spit on him if he was on fire.

• CJ says:

Sorry for the last comment, but I can NOT stand the Senators…..

No need to apologize, we aren’t talking about Potvin the player but rather Potvin the babbling idiot, besides it is polite not to spit on someone, so feel free to hold back.

• Mavid ® says:

Denis Potvin was a great player..but as a hockey talk show guy he is a pinhead…the reporter ASKED Weise what was said..so he responded..its not like he went running to them complaining..they asked him..was he suppose to lie..or take the high road..hell no..Potvin needs to go away..thank god he only does Sens game..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

59. Un Canadien errant says:

Jarred Tinordi has a fierce beard going on. We have to find a way to get him in there, go all Viking bezerker on the ice.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• habs-fan-84 says:

That boy is a man-child. He had a helluva beard when playing for the London Knights in the playoffs a few years ago.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It would be really nice if JT could play at least one game. Whitey too.

• CJ says:

I think he sees action before the series is over. Beaulieu was a great addition and provided a spark. His play, through two games on the biggest stage was excellent. Tinordi is tremendous insurance and will likely see action should there be an injury or should we find ourselves unable to overcome a match-up.

I am a proponent of the fact that you force your opponent to adjust to you. IMO, we got behind when we tried to counter the bigger Bruins by inserting Murray – a defenseman with size, but limited mobility. By replacing him with Beaulieu, we forced the Bruins to adjust – which they proved that they could not do.

Depending on how the series opens, I would not be afraid to put Tinordi in and force the Rangers to counter. Again, I don’t think we are there yet, but it is a great weapon to have in reserve.

60. keithmacv says:

Columbia, who would you rather see with the puck on his stick in the slot…Galchenyuk or Borque?

61. PK says:

I think that we will do well against the Rangers.

Who is better: Price or Lundqvist?
    Easy answer:

For any The Walking Dead aficionados, a nice comment about CP31 by a Canadian Press writer:

“He was unflappable. When the zombie apocalypse finally hits, those nearest Price will likely be thanking their lucky stars”.

Yep … survived those Zombies wearing the Bruins sweaters.

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

62. UKRAINIANhab says:

Sorry Chucky See ya next year! No way if Im the coach im inserting a guy who was injured and had a very average season! Just me. Ok, Sure Henrik is a good goalie but every time he plays against the Habs i am less than impressed with him. We will see but the Habs should win this with games the spare. Habs in 4/5.

• Timo says:

Well… if Bourque goes back to being Bourque of the regular season during say next 2 games… he sits.

• Colombiahabs says:

Hate to say it but Timo is right but not about Borque .. about everyone. This is how its been all series. If some isn’t performing we have the depth to replace them. The line up isn’t set in stone. You move guys in and out depending on performance and what the current situation calls for.

Hell Galchenyuck could replace Vanek if he really shits the bed (lets hope not for our sake)!

• CJ says:

Just to be fair, Eller, Bourque and PK all had average to below average seasons. This is a fresh lease for these players. I would not be so quick to cast judgement on Chucky. IMO, we will see him very soon.

No, I would not break up the lineup at this point, but he will be inserted in this series. IMO, he is a major ace in our sleeve.

63. Jocko says:

Just read Jack Todd’s article. I disagree with the inclusion of Iginla in the Classy players sentence. Desharnais was behind Emelin in the line and started to push him along when “The Idiot” started to jaw at him. Iginla, directly behind said Idiot, did nothing. Lack of class, lack of leadership. I live here in Calgary where that guy is seen as the second coming! I lost a lot of respect for that guy. He should toss in the towel and stop trying to find a cup winner to play on.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

64. BJ says:

Playing the Rangers will favour Pacioretty, DD.

65. Colombiahabs says:

Why does everyone wanna pull Rene Bourque for Galchenyuck? The hero of the first round, so what he didn’t set the world on fire against the Bruins but he was skating hard and throwing his weight around. So unless he scores every game.. pull him??? What a bunch of yawhoos!!

• murfdog says:

Bud, Galchenyuck hasn’t played since april 9, and bourque had a flew going into boston. Unless galchenyuck is 100% how do you change the line up?

66. keithmacv says:

Love the intensity, speed, and heart of Bournival. But Galchenyuk buries half the chances Bournival has been getting. Move Bournival into (as much as I hate to say it) Bourque’s spot because he’s sadly reverted back to his enigmatic ways.

Sorry! no round 3 tickets. But once we win the 1st two games in round 3, I can apply to purchase cup tickets for our group. I have to pay in advance, about $250 a seat which will include a preseason ticket for next year. I just wonder if we want to have our SUMMIT trip to Mtl. at a preseason game.??? But the deal is that for every Cup ticket, I need to purchase a preseason ticket.!

Does this work for us,? please discuss it here on site!!!

• Can’t do it Ian. September is the start of evaluation for Hockey Brandon, and I run mini camps for the Bantams all month so I am out…..plus I have zero respect for preseason hockey, the month should be used for dryland training, and team evaluation in order to prepare for the regular season.

However if you are able to get tickets, maybe those going would donate their preseason tickets to another group on Montreal. That’s what I would do, pass them to someone who needs them more than I.

Lastly I like the Summit in the Fall, but that’s just me.

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Don’t Poke The Bear

• 123456 says:

I so want to go but the past two years have been terrible for me job wise – so a shameless plug I’m now look again….. Finance and Health Insurance professional here with 20 years working mostly on the insurance side and most recently at a hospital.

Back on topic – I hope folks here do discuss as Ian requested – what a great way to meet others who post and take in great hockey and a beverage or two….

• Chris says:

Hope you find something soon…the job market right now is just brutal. I’m hitting the unemployment ranks at the end of the summer, but I’m increasingly looking at just leaving Canada. This country’s education system is going in a very bad direction.

• Paz says:

Chris, you should be working in the hockey world. Take a drive to the Storm arena, walk right in there, throw down your scouting report of all their players, and ask for a job!

You will be hired!

• Chris says:

I appreciate the words, Ed, but those teams all have tons of guys doing this stuff (many of them are volunteers or doing it for very little money…they do it more for the love of the game than anything), and they are all really good at what they do. You and I have spoken so often of guys we really like and really don’t like, and all the surprises that lay in store.

Working for a junior team would be so hard because you’re trying to project how a 15-year old kid is going to develop physically, mentally and as a hockey player. What a freaking crap-shoot! :)

• Mavid ® says:

I am in..whatever it takes to get together for a cup game..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

68. Tharsis says:

So who does Galchenyuk replace when he is inserted in the line-up?

I would see him with Pleks and Vanek, and move Bournival into Prusts’ spot. Bournival has been great so far so he deserves a spot but Prust is playing his former team so it may be good to keep him in.

Tough call.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

69. CJ says:

Putting on my coaching hat for a moment and looking ahead – I like Bournival more on the third line (replacing Bourque) while I would have Chucky on the second line with Pleks and Vanek.

Again, no sense trying to fix something that isn’t broken, but I could foresee this change as the series progresses.

I am not sure that Nate’s addition to the lineup has gotten the attention it deserves. Montreal won the series – not because of Nate – but because the defence (collectively) was able to move the puck with poise and precision, either by passing it out of the defensive end (starting with Price) or skating it out. It was a dimension the Bruins were unable to handle. It negated the Bruins setting up an effective forecheck and transitioned the Canadiens back to offense.

Ultimately it was the speed that wore down Boston. Speed kills you know…..

• JUST ME says:

Very good point. This d-squad has gotten better as the second round went on and Beaulieu brought in his abilities and a je-ne-sais-quoi de freshness …As much with the d-squad and the possible fact that Chucky is ready i say we keep the roster as is…for game 1 !

• CJ says:

I’d keep it the same to start. We now have an ace in our sleeve though. I would not underestimate this point. Chucky has a lot of skill and if the playoffs has proven anything, it is a fresh lease for these guys.

Just because he might have struggled in the regular season does not mean he will not produce in the post season. No better examples than Eller, PK and Bourque (in the first round).

• D Mex says:

Your coaching hat probably doesn’t look like mine, CJ :
      – What message is sent to Bourque, who has been playing like someone with a fire lit under his ass, by sitting him in favour of a rookie ?
      – Compare that to the message Bournival receives if asked to start the series in the pressbox while the so-far motivated veteran skates.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• CJ says:

I thought Bourque was excellent against the Bolts. Absolutely awesome. However, I do not believe that the level of intensity extended into the second round. He is certainly doing more than he did in the regular season, but he is fading and needs to get some jump back in his step.

Again, my changes would be held in reserve and would not take effect until they were needed to give the team a boost.

70. Jocko says:

Wow, never been this early in a thread! Anyhow, fellow posters, growing the playoff beard. To trim or not to trim, that is the question I pose to you.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

As a year long bearded guy I say trim.
      As with the players it’s style that counts more than substance.

• bwoar says:

Styling between rounds is acceptable. I gave it a courtesy trim for the females at home; I think the only exception if you can grow the Mike Commadore, that’s pretty much gotta be left alone.

71. BJ says:

Bronze better than nothing….

72. shiram says:

Second
    Busy day, but it was supposed to relaxed with everyone taking today off.
    no such luck for me.