Rangers-Caps will go at least six games

John Tortorella

New York Rangers coach John Tortorella looks a little pained during his team’s Game 4 loss.
Mitchell Layton, NHLI via Getty Images

So, the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals will go at least six games in their Eastern Conference semifinal, the Caps squeaking by the Blueshirts 3-2 Saturday afternoon to even their series at two games apiece. Game 5 is back in New York on Monday night.

Ridiculously, the early matinée was the only NHL playoff action on the Saturday slate.

• On Sunday: The Los Angeles Kings can close out the St. Louis Blues with a Game 4 Western semi win on home ice, and the Flyers need a win in New Jersey against the Devils to avoid going down 3-1 in their Eastern semi.

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I can’t express adequately the optimism I feel with the Bergevin decision as Our new GM …He is a Montrealaise ‘coming Home’ …and, He is saying all the right things, so far

…but, I also see people here talking Hartley, Quenneville, Crawford, Vigneault, for Coach

…the sole ‘raison’ many of Us, speaking, at least, for Myself, are Montreal Canadiens’ Fans are Our memories of the Glory Years …for example, it was Bob Gainey, love Him or hate Him, that brought Myself back from the verge of indifference to My Habs’ Fandom

…so many years preoccupied living in other parts of the World and Canada, plus almost 20 years of Habs’ suckitude will do that to a once passionate Habs’ Fan

…Gainey, and then Carbo, were My wake-up calls that re-energized My Fandom …notwithstanding Their end-results

…through the years, I had seen Gainey, Lemaire and Lapointe go off to Minnesota/Dallas, Fergie to the Jets as a Manager, Big Bird to the Kings/Devils, Riseborough to the Flames, Lafleur to the hated Nordiques and hapless Rangers, …even earlier, I had painfully watched Doug Harvey traded to the Rangers, …and most painfully of all, My ultimate boyhood Hero Jacques Plante to the Gawdforesaken Weeds and other teams

…I had been a blind addicted Fan of the Montreal Canadiens since I can remember having memory …because, no doubt, I was born a Montrealer …and the unmatched joy the Team provided My identity by being ‘a winner’ in style as well as substance during the first 30 plus years of My Life

…but it was when the ‘winning’ became much less frequent and then inexistent, that I began asking Myself what was really at ‘the core’ of My Fandom ? …was it ‘the Team’ …or, it’s Players ?

…Which/Whom did I Love more ? …Which/Whom, inflamed My passion more, as a Fan ?

…difficult question to answer, I found …but I finally came to the conclusion I would have never had had the obsession with this Team if it had not the wonderfully unique Players it had had through those Glory Years

…ok, I realize there are so-called Habs’ Fans out there that sees it differently than I, …Crawford or Quenneville could walk in here and You will not miss a beat

…call Me crazy if You may, but I would rather ‘lose’ with a bench of Roy, Carbo and Big Bird …than ‘win’ with a Crawford, Quenneville or whomever

…for Me, it’s essential Our links with Our past Heroes be essentially a continuum to keep this fan’s level of Habs’ Fandom

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• wall2bay says:

Just Win Baby…….that’s all I and the rest of Habs Nation should care about! They could put all those losers from L’Antichambre behind the bench and it wouldn’t matter as long as they win!

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

Larry Brooks, New York Post: ” No matter where you sit in the spectrum of sports in New York and New Jersey, there never before was anyone like Mariano Rivera and there never will be.

Same holds true for Martin Brodeur, who celebrates his 40th birthday today with a Game 4 assignment in nets against the Flyers, and who walked through our door to stay two years before The Great Rivera.

No goaltender in the NHL plays remotely the way Brodeur does, none ever will again, and no goaltender in the world comes close to having as much fun plying his trade.

Way back when, it was Brodeur against Ron Hextall in the playoffs. Now, Brodeur against Ilya Bryzgalov (or Sergei Bobrovsky). Always, Brodeur for the Devils.

And because we were reminded a few days ago that we never know how or when it’s going to end, this is the time to acknowledge the magnificent fortune we have had in these parts to have been able to watch The Great Brodeur for 18 seasons. ”

_________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• boing007 says:

I think Carey Price has some of Brodeur’s puck handling skills and I often wondered why they weren’t developped more with his teammates in practice and over the regular season.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

3. mrhabby says:

Rick Dudley to be Ass’t General Manager of the Habs.Bergevin working out some details. Burke would prefer after the draft.

4. JIMVINNY says:

OK, 8th seed teams beating top seeds is cool, but going 8-1 against the top two in the conference? Methinks the Kings were sandbagging it.

• habstrinifan says:

Kings were on a roll coming into playoffs.

• LizardKing12 says:

Haha yeah they played possum all year just to psych out teams once they got to the playoffs! All kidding aside the Kings have some serious talent on their roster. Quick has shown that he is maybe the best goalie in the league, easily top 3, Kopitar Carter and Richards are all forwards capable of scoring 30+ goals and 70-80 points even though Richards and Carter had off years, Dustin Brown has some serious grit and skill and Drew Doughty is an all star dman. I think they seriously underachieved this year and have really turned it on in the playoffs.

5. frontenac1 says:

Playoff wins=Hot goaltending. Always has been,always will be.

6. commandant says:

Dagostini… now thats a dumb penalty.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

7. otter649 says:

So Larry Brooks of NY Post bring up The Gomez/McDonaugh Trade – The Rangers have their own version of a lopsided trade Ken Hodge for Rick Middleton…….

8. HFX-HabFan says:

Alright, some names for the coaching pool:

Marc Crawford- his first two stops he had success, but his two most recent (LA and DAL) were less than stellar. I’m not convinced he’s the guy.

Patrick Roy- his track record speaks for itself, but we have no idea how that will translate as a coach at the NHL level. Ego issues aside, my gut tells me that now is not the time for us to hire Roy as the bench boss.

Denis Savard- still employed by Chicago, but Bergevin could convince him to come “home” to Montreal. He could become the local-boy-makes-good story without risking tarnishing his legacy as a Habs player (as we all know he was past his prime by the time he became a Hab, and if he has success as our coach, maybe the Wickenheiser grumblers can finally be silenced).

Gerard Gallant- head coach of the Saint John Sea Dogs, a team looking to become the first team in history to repeat as Memorial Cup champs after the previous champs had repeated themselves- Windsor (how often does this happen in sports? I don’t think that has happened in baseball or football since the ’70s, hockey since the Oilers in the ’80s, and basketball probably the Bulls after the Rockets or Pistons). Not sure how Gallant’s French is, but he’s obviously familiar with Nathan Beaulieu, and can clearly get the most out of talented youngsters.

Benoit Groulx- still coaching in the Q with Gatineau last time I checked, but I always thought he had NHL potential.

Craig Ramsay- I thought he did a great job in his one year in Atlanta before getting shafted by the Winnipeg ownership group. Maybe he’s better as an assistant coach, and I have no idea what his French is like, but he could be an intriguing candidate.

Other names that you’d like to see in the mix? Sutter? Hartley (his Swiss club doesn’t plan to let him leave his contract)? MacTavish? Anyone else?

9. saskhabfan says:

So with the caps knocking out the bruins and giving the rangers everything they can handle,also with the kings disposing of the nucks and looks like they are going to do the same to the blues. It really does look like all you need to do is make the playoffs and anything can happen.

• neumann103 says:

Don’t tell that to the tank crowd. All you have to do is stink it up for 3 or 4 years then you can enter the Playoffs as a #1 or 2 seed and win the cup. Anything else is failure, failure I tells ya!!!! You might as well not even bother to play the regular season if you are not going to win the Cup.

“Et le but!”

• commandant says:

The Kings and Caps showed glimmers of hope during the Regular season. The Habs didn’t.

There is as much difference between a 15th place club and an 8th place club as their is between 8th and 1st.

If this was the 2010 or 2011 team, then yes we could pull upsets (did in 2010, one goal away in 2011)… but this years club was a mess and it started with the dysfunctional management early in the season (firing Pearn hours before a game).

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• jedimyrmidon says:

I agree with the point of view that it will hurt the organization to keep throwing away picks (esp. 2nd round picks) to pick up players that will play for the Habs for maybe 3 months, just long enough for them to get into the playoffs and then get eliminated. Same goes for losing players for nothing.

That being said, the idea that the Habs should obviously be striving to win the Cup, and anything else is considered failure and unacceptable unlike the glorious days of old simply doesn’t work anymore in this league. We can all hope and expect that management does things “right” (at minimum: not giving away too much for too little, not crippling the team with bad contracts, etc.), and builds a Cup contender, but in the meantime, it seems as if some posters will remain bitterly disappointed until the Habs win the Cup and can’t enjoy the games until then, dismissing them as meaningless.

• boing007 says:

Yeah, but once you get there you have to make it happen. Every shift.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

10. otter649 says:

I believe back in the 70s Henry Bucha used to wear a headband but I think Rick Dudley wore one as well does anyone remember ?

11. frontenac1 says:

I agree Biter,if we could do that I would go for it.Drafting can be a real crapshoot. A bird in the hand and all that.We also have 2 second rounders this year and Three second rounders next year and there is a lot of gems in the second round.

12. deggy24 says:

The solution to the big contract issue whether you are Montreal with Gomez, or Edmonton with Souray (past tense), or other current albatrosses, is this:
    Allow teams to trade the player, eating part of the player’s salary against cap, and allowing the receiving team to proceed with player (maybe even, turning it over again).

Habs Win!

• Strummer says:

The solution is don’t sign these ridiculous contracts in the first place-or in the case of Montreal- don’t ACQUIRE it.

Souray is different- he changed his mind and wanted out after he signed. He got what he deserved. So did Edmonton.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• naweed235 says:

If you want these ridiculous contracts to stop being signed, I think you will be disappointment with the Price contract… Luongo v 2.0… except that Luongo is actually an Olympic gold medalist…

• ZepFan2 says:

Since you have inside info to the future. Can you help a brother out and tell me the winning numbers in the next lotto max? I could use the help.

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Propwash says:

Price is a worlds junior champ. Price is also a much better goalie than Bobby Lou, and will likely be the starting goalie in the Olympics in Sochi.

_____________________________
          “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
          Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• jedimyrmidon says:

You think Price will sign a 10 year contract – or a contract that will last until he’s 43? My, you’ve got the jump on everyone including the new Habs GM!

Seriously, of course that would be a bad thing, but I believe you’ve been cautioning against this for many months to the point where it can be interpreted as you’d rather not have Price on the team if they had to “overpay” slightly in whatever form that may be.

• Mr. Biter says:

I am a huge Price fan but a 10 year plan I just don’t know, however he’d be 28 in 5 years in his prime and if he’s going to be as good as we all hope, one can only guess what he could command then.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Strummer says:

Another thought- go with non-guaranteed contracts like they have in the NFL.
      NHLPA would never agree to that unfortunately.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• neumann103 says:

Jesus! Are you serious? The non guaranteed NFL contracts are a shameful abomination. I really wonder why fans who hate these greedy millionaire athletes love the greedy billionaire owners.

Oh course the NHLPA would never agree to it, the non-guaranteed contract is vile. It is not like all these players are free agents able to ply their trade with any team. From the draft on, they are largely indentured servants.

The simplest way to avoid the issue is to term limit contracts to no more than 5 or 6 years. The NHL could also implement a soft cap or a luxury tax where a rich team could blow through the cap by paying a penalty into a fund to be distributed to cap observant teams. You could adjust it to attenuate undesirable behaviour.

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed that NFL contracts are a sham. They’re one way, in that they bind the player to the team, and if he outplays it he’s stuck with it, with only a holdout as a bargaining tool. If he underperforms, he gets cut and doesn’t receive his money. The NFL can even cut players who are injured and subsequently fail their medical. This is ridiculous.

I pay big money to see players play, they should get the money, not the owners.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

13. Propwash says:

The Kings look unstoppable against St. Louis. They’re a legit candidate for the cup.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Strummer says:

Too bad Sutter doesn’t speak French!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

14. H.Upmann says:

Intersting point on tsn comments: what happens to Larry Carriere if Dudley becomes assistant GM?

• commandant says:

Director of Player Personel? Director of Pro Scouting? There is more than one assistant GM? who knows.

But Bergevin did say he was staying in the organization… and he also said the organization was understaffed compared to Chicago. So I’m sure they will find a role.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens need more than just a GM and an assistant. We can use a few helpers. We need a brain trust, a lot of talented hockey people. Some experienced guys, and some young guys learning the trade, guys like Vincent Damphousse.

The old days of Sam Pollock and Prof. Caron running everything are over. The league is complex, there’s more info to process, the competition is stronger. Plus, there’s no salary cap on the management team, let’s outspend other teams there.

I’ve repeated the story that Ryan McDonagh told about the trade. He said it was a surprise, but that in a way, it wasn’t since he hadn’t heard very much from the Canadiens in the previous year. He was getting ready to attend the development camp and was looking forward to it, since he was eager to talk to someone in the organization.

To this story, I say “Never again”. Let’s have lots of managers, player development staff, coaches, strength and conditioning, etc. Let’s make sure we have someone in touch with each of our prospects, regularly. Let’s ensure that nothing drops through the cracks.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

15. frontenac1 says:

Montreal needs “Un gros manifestation”in the streets to Bring Big Bird Home!

16. H.Upmann says:

If Dudley has an ‘out’ , then Burkie can’t really do much about it except do what he does best: whine and moan to the media. The guy’s worried about the optics of losing Dudley, understandable since he’s probably close to losing his job

• commandant says:

Its doubtful that the out takes effect today. It would probably be after the draft or after July 1st at the earliest.

Bergevin will get his guy, but he’ll have to be patient.

The Bruins did the same when Ottawa wouldn’t let Peter Chiarelli leave until after the draft.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Strummer says:

Burkie was boasting early last season that one of the reasons he has so many assitant GM’s was so they could move to other organizations thereby giving him “friends” in those organizations with whom he could deal favourably.

He will be rejoicing if one of his guys gets an offer.
      He probably can’t do any more deals with Anaheim where he did most of his transactions since he came to Toronto.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“If Dudley has an ‘out’ , then Burkie can’t really do much about it…”
      :) Did Burkie sign Another bad contract?

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      - Sean Bonjovi

17. frontenac1 says:

Biter, makes sense,but Gomer has a wicked contract.

18. jimmy shaker says:

As per Bertrand Raymond……crawford and roy are the two MB are looking at!

Shaker

• Miltie01 says:

Either could do a good job…….Patrick if well surrounded……maybe with Robinson and Carbo ?

I think they will wait a bit and see if AV becomes available.

• aj says:

don’t bring carbo’s name again pls. i would rather have robisnon as assitant head coach than a bunch of ‘has-been’ head coaches to come back like vigneault, therrien, trembaly or him.

• Miltie01 says:

Carbo and Roy are good pals. He wanted Patrick as his assistant before he asked Muller to be. He also has the best record for a Habs coach in a long time. No matter how he is portrayed, he was not the second coming of the plague.

Beyond that, it would be Patrick’s clubhouse, and Larry would be around to mediate and keep everything on an even keel.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve been advocating Patrick Roy with Guy Carbonneau and Larry Robinson as assistants for a while now. I want former Habs who lived and died for the team, and who can instill this passion into the new players. I wasn’t happy with our transplanted Senators staff, it didn’t make sense that we don’t capitalize on our history and tradition.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

It’s amazing to see how HIO has evolved. We’ve gone from line combos to hockey operations combos.

• punkster says:

One of the great jazz combos.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFab says:

Hope we don’t do that recipe exchanging crap again.

• punkster says:

1 teaspoon salt
        1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
        3 cups quick cooking oats
        1/2 cup chocolate chips
        1/2 cup raisins

Directions

- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats, raisins and chocolate chips. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
        Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
        Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

All right, because you vouch for it I’ll try it, but usually I don’t go for the oatmeal chocolate chip compromise. If I want an oatmeal cookie I make one. Same for chocolate chip. These attempts to health up cookies, or make healthy cookies palatable usually are bound for failure.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just about to try a slow cooker baked beans recipe. I’ll tell you how it turns out.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

20. frontenac1 says:

Cinco de Mayo and the tequila was great,but I am confused.No game on sat.night,western game on early and eastern game on late? Ah screw it,I’m switchin back to vodka.

21. Miltie01 says:

Dudley’s biggest contribution may well be in our pro scouting department and evaluating players to trade for. Look for players like ANDREW LADD to join the Habs during his tenure here………I think he also brought Marty St.Louis to Tampa ( I could be wrong here ).

22. Miltie01 says:

Dudley said he was the one who first saw Timmins as a good hockey mind when he was a GM in Ottawa and promoted him. He rates Timmins as “elite” in terms of eye for talent.

Sounds like Timmins is safe, and that there will be a good working relationship with the new ass. GM.

23. Mr. Biter says:

Since there seems to be some disagreement about our # 3 pick (prehaps an under achieving Russian or a Swede) why not package the #3 pick and Gomez(they gotta take him) for a big strong top 4 D-man OR a big strong top 6 forward who both (can score) and are under contract for at least 3- 4 more years. We would know what we’re getting and dumping Gomers contract as well. Remember with any draft choices from1 -300 nothing is guaranted.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• commandant says:

When you have your highest draft pick in 30 years and are desperately in need of true top end talent…. you use the pick. Not use it to dump a contract.

Bury Gomez in Hamilton.

And no, the 2nd liner or 2nd pairing dman you pick up in the deal doesn’t make it worth it.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Mr. Biter says:

Top 4 Means #1-4 D-man and Top 6 means a 1-6 forward & dumping Gomez contract and having the money to spend on another top forward or D-man during free agency. 2 for 1 makes sense and again no guarantee that our pick will be the 2nd coming of Lafleur or even play in the NHL for the next 2 years.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• commandant says:

Free Agency is where people over pay all the time.

Sure our guy may not play in the NHL next year, but the best teams build via the draft. Not pull Burke moves and give away guys like Seguin and Hamilton for a bag of magic beans.

This team has too many 2nd liners and not enough first liners as it is. There are no guarantees, but how many 3rd overall picks since the lockout are busts? Not many… I’d rather roll the dice and keep the pick.

If you need cap space, just stick Gomez in Hamilton and boom you have the money to sign someone too.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Mr. Biter says:

The oilers have had the 1st round pick now for the 3 rd straight year now and finished last the last 3 years. You need a combination of both draft and FA’s. We get 1 top line player for the draft pick and with gomers money we get another top line player.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

24. Phil C says:

I don’t blame Burke for being concerned about letting Dudley go at this point. I’m sure Habs fans would be upset if it was the other way around. The Habs have done a good job with amateur scouting in the past, so they are probably fine for the draft. It’s pro scouting and player development that needs more help, so as long as Dudley is on board prior to free agency, I think that is a reasonable compromise.

On the other hand, if there is no rule against it, Burke may have to suck it up. It will be interesting to see what the league will do.

25. Les Canayens says:

OT: Today I learned that the reason Georges Laraque signed with Montreal was to please his mom. He choose to live with his dad after his parents divorced so this was his way to make it up to her.

26. blu_blanc_rouge says:

He also likes black players, johnny oduja, avander Kane, anthony Stewart, buffelin et al

27. aj says:

This may not be an easy one to pull out for the new GM to do:

Burke won’t compromise any of the Leafs acquisitions by giving the go-ahead for Dudley to sign with the Habs as assistant GM this postseason. Good luck with Bergevin convincing Burke that he needs Dudley immediately cuz’ I don’t think this will be easy.

28. Miltie01 says:

I guess Dregger from TSN says we are getting Dudley for an assistant GM. Negotiations with Leafs are in the process.

For those who do not like Russian players get ready, Dudley loves the skills of Russian players, always has………….should make for fun times on the message boards !!!

29. frontenac1 says:

I hope the trainer threw him a towel.

30. frontenac1 says:

Yup,that’s it alright.Clenched teeth,furrowed brow.Let”er rip Torts! .Its all for the best.

31. habs001 says:

Eller scored today in their 4-3 loss to italy…yest game the usa forwards and d totally dominated canada…getzlaf looks terrible…

32. Bripro says:

Ahh…Saturday night. 7:20 (I’m early)
    Guinness? … Check
    Elusive TV remote? … Check
    Nacho Chips? ….. Check
    Salsa? …. Check
    No one in my recliner…. Ah, here we go.
    CBC on …. What? I guess the Caps-Rangers are on TSN tonight. Huh. Odd.
    TSN…poker? Whaaaa?
    Where the hell is the game?
    I guess I’d better check HIO for an update:
    What? The game is over? What the hell?????
    A game at noon? on a Saturday? This is Buttman’s doing, isn’t it?
    Ahrgg… So Saturday night, and no hockey and no one to get drunk with.
    What a buzz-buster.
    Who in their right minds, trying to attract TV ratings, puts an important playoff game on a Saturday afternoon. The new NHL.
    Give me Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin on a Saturday night anytime.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The NHL and Gary Bettman treat Canada as a saturated market. There is nothing to gain by trying to sell the game in Canada, everyone is already watching, all the tickets are already sold. The gains to be made are going to come from the struggling markets in the Sun Belt, so they will pitch the game to them instead of us.

Look how long it took to switch a team back to Canada, and the way Mr. Bettman added like the Grinch, threatening Winnipeg fans that they better buy all the tickets or else, with a grimace for seasoning.

Even TSN and Hockey Night in Canada don’t gain anything by having another game to broadcast that won’t really increase their ratings. Winnipeg fans were already watching other teams, they were already watching the commercials.

So we may need to get ready for this, to expect that the NHL will be on all fours begging favour from NBC, and that the Canadian markets will be expected to adapt.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

33. frontenac1 says:

Torts facial expression definetly
    Indicates”Pinchin a Loaf”time.

34. Les Canayens says:

Rangers totally got ripped off by the refs last night.

35. Bill H says:

This news is about 3 weeks old, but I just read it. Perhaps it has been posted and discussed here already. Hockey Prospect has undated their 2012 draft rankings. They now rank Galchenyuk as #1. I don’t know if the majority of scouts are still ranking Yakupov as #1. I was really hoping that we could draft Galchenyuk with our number 3 pick. He seems to have the qualities we could most use.

Well, the good news is that we will get a great prospect with that #3 pick, no matter who is picked #1 and #2. But I hope Galchenyuk is still available.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’m hoping CLB goes with Forsberg or one of the Dmen. Like you said we’ll be getting a good pick regardless, but I’ve got my heart set on Galchenyuk.

36. joshbenn says:

I find it unbelievable that some of the people here would rather have Pierre McGuire than Bergevin as our general manager. McGuire would have drafted Gilbert Brule instead of Price and constantly talked about torontos D from a few years ago to be the next big 3. Pierre is an analyst that hasn’t been with a hockey club with any position of authority this millennia. Bergevin not only brings 20 years of NHL experience along with being part of the 2010 cup winning Chicago Blackhawks for the past 7 years but he started out from the bottom like every one else and worked his way to assistant general manager. He’s worked under Dale Tallon who recently brought the Florida Panthers to the playoffs after they were near last in the conference the year before and has earned nothing but praise around the league. If McGuire was serious about being a gm he would’ve worked his way up an organization just like everyone else. Bergevin might not be the perfect general manager but seems a heckuva better one than McGuire.

37. ProHabs says:

With London playing Niagara in the OHL, you get the feeling this is chapter 1 of a long battle that is going to take place between Jared Tinardi and Dougie Hamilton throughtout thier careers.

38. frankcasting says:

That pic of Torts is perfect. When he’s shakin’ hands with Hunter on the losing end of this series, it will be a great schadenfreude moment.

Smelling like Kings and Caps from where I sit.
    Flyers seem to have shot it in Pittsburgh.

Loving the Habs since 1965

39. frontenac1 says:

LOL Stormin! Good one !

40. frontenac1 says:

Wow,Sather!I never really liked him. He did however dodge the bullet with Gomer! . Simmons should be asking the question “Why is Burke still employed?”.Four seasons Not making the playoffs!Hilarious!

41. Stormin says:

From About Last Night

Apperently Alexander Semin makes some girls Yakupov and so the they would much rather you just Hakan Loob your Mike Peca and Nail Yakupov there Randy Cunneyworth or in some cases there Darren Puppa

42. Strummer says:

From Steve Simmons this morning:

” three of the worst contracts in hockey — the buyout of Chris Drury, the pending buyout of Scott Gomez and the millionaire minor leaguer, Wade Redden, were all signed by the Hall of Famer, Sather … ”

And yet Sather is still employed.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

43. Strummer says:

I was reading About Albert Pujols this morning.

Sure makes Gomez’ contract look like a steal!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• harpman says:

Pujols has plenty of upside left….Gomez is done.

• Strummer says:

has he got $240 million worth of upside?

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Un Canadien errant says:

The obvious difference in Albert Pujols is his size. I don’t watch baseball ever since the Expos left Montréal, so I’m no expert, but this gives me a perspective that baseball fans may not have, in that they may have seen him shrink gradually and not noticed. To me, to see the way he looks now compared to when he was unavoidable on SportsCentre, and when I didn’t have a PVR and couldn’t skip over baseball and basketball, is qualitatively different. His arms, his shoulders and traps and backs, he used to look like a block of granite. Now he’s a lean, slim guy. Even his face, he used to have a comic book superhero face, with muscles in his neck and jaw that were prominent. No longer, I hardly recognized a picture of him in the dugout in his Angels uni.

During the steroid scandal five years ago or so, there were people holding him as an example of a player who was naturally, cleanly huge and powerful, and doubters were shouted down. He was one of the good guys. He never had a ‘growth spurt’ like Barry Bonds. Yet the evidence seems to be in. Mr. Pujols seems as shrunken as Mr. Bonds does now. The coincidence that MLB has started to test for HGH is a detail that is hard to overlook.

It’s now impossible to ignore the possibility that a ball player is juiced, same as track stars, Olympic weightlifters, MMA fighters. Unfortunately, the sane reasonable man now has to assume that all athletes who play in sports where strength, speed and power are crucial are guilty of using performance enhancing drugs until proven innocent.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

44. Stormin says:

Watching too much hockey can lead to the honeymoon is over downs

45. ont fan says:

Ednonton scouts worried about Yak defiencies.

46. frontenac1 says:

Habsfan. Happy birthday Chris! Savour those moments,you will both remember them forever!

47. habsfan0 says:

Tortorella looks like he’s suffering from acid reflux.

• Strummer says:

Either that or someone ripped a wicked fart on the bench.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• aj says:

lol! Probably it was his fart that’s why!

He needs to bring pepto bismol on the bench next time.

Oh I get it! That’s the reason why he’s so urgent to shrug the media yesterday cuz’ he’s so in a hurry to get inside the bathroom (maybe, just a guess…..) :)

48. kempie says:

Awesome photo.

• Strummer says:

Did someone just give Torts a wedgie?
      Was it Bergevin the merry prankster?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• kempie says:

Ha. We should have a Tortorella though balloon contest.

“Whadduya think was in that danish? Was it cheese? Cuz I’ve got a little problem with cheese.”

49. commandant says:

He’s big, he’s mean, but can he score? Today’s profile Tom Wilson

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

50. Cal says:

My only question is who are the 235 McGuirites, and do they play golf at Hilton Head? ;)

51. aj says:

I just hope the Kings beat the Blues later (Game 4) so we don’t have to see Hicthcock’s system of hockey. Boy, I can tell Elliott is not having a good time in the net since Halak is injured at this point.

Whatever happens between the Philly vs NJ series, I hope that whoever wins won’t advance to the finals. Washington is my favorite in the East and Phoenix or LA should be the ones to advance in the West.

52. Habfan10912 says:

Please allow me this post of personal privilege. Today is my son’s, chrisadiens birthday. He still sits next to me at sporting events we attend together. He thinks I’m doing him a favor in taking him to games. It is him who is doing me the favor.
    This hockey team has furthered the bond between father and son. Thru the years as we battled issues caused by “generation gap” the thing that was always constant was the love of this City, the people in it, and the hockey team. For me its always more then a team.
    Happy Birthday Chris!

———————————–

53. Cape Breton says:

Pretty crazy, one game on a Saturday, and an early matinee to boot. Does HNIC have any drag whatsoever? Or is it all set up for the Yanks and their NBC schedule? We here in hockey land watch faithfully on Saturday nites and now when the games matter most we get screwed. And it’s only beginning. Count on very few, if any, Saturday nite games from here on in. NBC rules and it sucks!!!!

Has anybody heard if Daniel Pribyl may by chance cross the pond and play CHL or AHL this upcoming season?

55. HabFab says:

Hab Prospects march to the Memorial Cup update;

Tinordi 3+5 in 16GP (+15) – team tied 1-1 in league final
    Beaulieu 4+9 in 15GP (+20) – team up 2-0 in league final

Bournival 1+6 and Ellis 4+7 in 11GP were eliminated in the Q Championship play but as host team have a bye into the Memorial Cup

So while I am happy we have two games to watch today, I fail to understand the schedule makers. Having St. Louis/L.A. play at 3pm EST, this means they are playing noon local. While NewJersey/Philly will have a traditional evening start.

I realize they are looking to give St. Louis/L.A. some American Hockey Primetime (which evidently is afternoon), but the quality of game is usually not as strong with these early starts. Rather flip flop and let the Eastern teams start at 3pm their own time and let the Western series start late afternoon.

Just my pet peeve…

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Gerald. As a member of the old fart team, I love the early West Coast starts. I don’t see many west coast teams play during the years because I’m old and tired. :)

———————————–

• croozer says:

Today on TV sports:
      PGA golf
      NASCAR
      NBA playoffs

NHL comes in 4th so we’re lucky to get anything.

Good Morning Everyone, here is a Sunday morning read from Larry Brooks and his perspective on the Predators situation.

Just ignore the McDonagh and Bossy reference near lower part of column, will just make you angry….

• aj says:

You mean the reference to this statement en quote:

“Sending away the rights to Ryan McDonagh because someone in the Canadiens system didn’t think the defenseman would add enough to the offense has a place in the chapter about Montreal passing (twice) on Mike Bossy in the draft because a scout didn’t like the way he back-checked.”

Well the journalist did tried to make a point by showing some measure of validity that the Habs don’t have an eye for talent (I can see many grammar mistakes as well, haha!). For me, they can write everything they wish to ridicule. However, when next season starts and all the pieces are in place along with the 3 albatross contracts out, these ppl. won’t be writing any more garbage against the Habs.

• Mark C says:

According to HockeyDB, Montreal (Mark Napier) only passed on Bossy once, but the Rangers (Lucien DeBlois and Ron Duguay) passed on him twice. I know fans and media enjoy rubbing our noses in the Habs mistakes, but making things up seems a little over the top.

• EastCoastJoe says:

Beat me to it Mark. Brooks is a hack. FWIW, the Leafs also passed on him twice. We got a few decent seasons out of Mark Napier anyway, and subsequently some good years from big Bobby Smith whom he was traded for.

• kalevine says:

a few decent seasons? One of 35 goals and two of 40 goals, more than decent I would say. not much power play time either. Not Bossy like numbers but he wasn’t playing on nearly as good a team as Bossy either. Those Habs of the early 80s were a powerhouse in the regular season but went out with barely a whimper during Napier’s 3 best seasons. The team was rotting from the top down then, under Grundman, as it was under Gainey/Gauthier more recently. And, yes, Bobby Smith proved to be a wise trade by Savard, one of his first moves, as he provided a missing piece for playoff success.