Quiet practice: Price shaves tonight!

Canadiens goalie Carey Price loses the caterpillar atop his upper lip before midnight, his work for Movember in support of prostate cancer awareness done. So much for superstition…

Price won this month’s Molson Cup as the Canadiens’ player of the month based on three-star selections. No big surprise there for the man who will start in goal tomorrow night at the Bell Centre against the Edmonton Oilers.

A remarkably uneventful practice in Brossard today, save for the return from two so-called therapy days for defenceman Josh Gorges.

Tomorrow will be the 800th NHL game for defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who categorically refused to speak today to RDS reporter Renaud Lavoie because Lavoie, unaware that he was working today, had shaved off his mustache one day early. Seriously.

A Spacek video coming in a short while, along with audio of coach Jacques Martin’s news briefing. The coach expressed no untoward concern about his team not filling the opposition net. He also denied that that he’s got a deal with La Cage aux Sports to keep Habs scoring to four goals or less, hence not offering fans free chicken wings.

1. JF says:

It’s certainly a tough schedule, but I think a road trip over Christmas and New Year is actually not a bad thing because it keeps holiday distractions and festive gatherings to a minimum.  The team stays together and focuses on their game.  We had a tough schedule last December with lots of road games, but we did very well. In fact, it was our good play in December that allowed us to make a playoff run.  But the back-to-back set against Boston and Philly is brutal.

2. Mats26 says:

Is it possible to know what the record is for consecutive games by a goalie allowing 3 goals or less in regulation? For a team?

3. habs365 says:

Ian: I don’t know you…all I can say you have to be Canada’s classiest man.

4. Danno says:

I got exactly the same thing.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. Danno says:

Don’t do it Carey!

You’ve got to stick with the Cary Grant look. It’s keeping pucks out of the net.

That mustache is as much a part of your equipment as your stick, glove and blocker are.

Don’t shave it. Save it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. SeriousFan09 says:

The problem is 10 road games and some back-to-back sets against some tough opposition including the Sharks, Red Wings, Toronto (They do treat our season series like the SCF), a BOS-PHI B2B set, our first meeting since April with the Capitals and one of our very unlovely trips into the Sunshine state at the end of the month.

I like our record, but the Habs need to do better this month when facing weaker or non-conference teams while they have their spirited engagements with their rivals.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Here’s a game-by-game breakdown for Max:

8. Bob Dobbs says:

In my view to emphasize a theft so much is to trivialize far more important things like Burns’ death. This is very relevant to hockey fans who have fond memories of Burns.

9. punkster says:

Yes, there are, and if they were related to the Habs or hockey then we’d comment on them as well. Your position is clear now bugger off.

10. sholi2000.com says:

This is not a bag of toys here and it wasn’t the parking lot of Toys R Us!

They Call Me Shane

11. sholi2000.com says:

8-5-0 in November, with not more than three goals scored against in any one game.  So much for a challenging month :)  I guess December is our real test now (being sarcastic), or maybe after Carey’s start at the AS game ;)

They Call Me Shane

12. shiram says:

Stache add that intimidating power, but on a goaltender its lost, because of the mask.

13. J_P says:

Seems like he’s picked up the goal scoring since the interview.  I cant find a game-by-game breakdown (and I dont follow the dogs that closely), but I seem to remember him having a good number of points, but not that many goals early in the season.  I go check today, and low and behold he has 11 goals now in 21 games, and his shooting percentage seems to have dramatically improved.

Looks like the kid is actually putting his money where his mouth is.

I also cant believe the big deal people are making.  All he said was that he feels that playing a lot of minutes in scoring situations in hamilton is better for his development than playing 4th line minutes in montreal.

14. shiram says:

No news, if there was any news, i’m pretty sure they would put up a blurb about it on here.

15. ZepFan2 says:

Got this today in response to my complaint against Cherry’s rant on Subban.

Thanks for contacting the CRTC with your concerns.

It’s the broadcasters
    themselves – not the CRTC – who are responsible for the programming they
    provide. This is spelled out in the Broadcasting Act. Our job is to make sure
    broadcasters have acted responsibly – and to hold them accountable for their
    programming when it’s called for.

In order to follow this matter, I am
    asking Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, by copy of this message, to respond
    directly to you within three weeks and to send us a copy of its reply for review
    by Commission staff. I am also asking that it hold a tape of the broadcast in
    question until your case is resolved. You will hear from us again if any
    regulatory action is required.

Your complaint and all related
    correspondence will be placed on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ‘s public
    file at the end of three weeks. The Commission may review it at licence renewal
    time and interested parties may consult the file at any time. In accordance with
    your rights under the Privacy Act, you may refuse to have your correspondence
    placed on such a file. If that is the case, please contact us within three weeks
    of the date of this response by clicking on the link provided below, by mail,
    fax or telephone, quoting the reference number. Please note that the Commission
    may not be able to pursue your complaint if all correspondence cannot be made
    public.

I am also providing you with a link to the fact sheet which
    explains the CRTC complaints process : http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/G8.htm

Hmm, to be continued…?

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

16. fuhgawz says:

Ok — What is the Markov status? for real any ideas?

ps. — for the idiots that broke into Pats car enjoy rotting in hell.

17. SLONCOLD says:

why is this a story? it’x mass shopping time and people ahve their cars broken into all the time…

18. joeybarrie says:

While it’s true that part of me wants vigilante justice… Let’s try to give an example of positivity and simply get back the items and make said person do some well deserved charity work. Nothing good will come out of hurting the person. It would make me feel better, and I would probably punch them in the face if I ever met them. But I will TRY to do the right thing.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. Say Ash says:

But then back to ‘stache come new year?

20. JD_ says:

If anyone, anyone on that team had any kajoanies, they’d get right into Ruff’s face while he’s steamin’ like that and tell the ol’ coach that Brett Hull was one heck of a hockey player.

21. joeybarrie says:

ITS OK…….. Carey had a great October with no Stache…. December will be Stache free and in my opinion only that much lighter, quicker and more aerodynamic….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. joeybarrie says:

Awful. HOWEVER, in order to have good people, you must have bad ones. For the most part, this person is on their own. I actually feel sorry for them. Mostly because of what could happen if anyone finds out who it is. Bury your husband and now you must deal with the pain of being personally invaded.

In the end though the poster below is correct. They are only THINGS and hopefully the day showed what value people, family and friends have over things.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

While I am not as rich as Ian, I will pay $20 to the kind soul who will chop the prick’s balls off.

24. Chris1138 says:

This reminds me of a story of a friend whose brother passed away in his teens from cancer and at the funeral they were going to play videos he had recorded on his webcam for youtube of him playing music. Some lowlife scum broke into their car when it was parked around the corner from the church and stole the computer that had the videos so now that family doesn’t even have the videos their son recorded. Absolutely disgusting.

Chris

25. Chorske says:

BOY are your panties ever in a bunch over this.

26. Chorske says:

Fair enough. Except that this is a hockey site, for Habs fans, some of whom have positive memories of Pat Burns, and who are therefore rightly expressing outrage at this turn of events.

Your comment is pretty grinchy, bub.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Some days, I consider whether or not I am too cynical about my fellow man. Incidents like this do nothing to ease my cynicism. Just disgusting.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Harani says:

I don’t if anyone posted this but Lindy Ruff is one angry man! I think it’s hilarious.

“It must be love!”

29. db says:

OB must be doing something right.

30. Malreg says:

Interesting theory, except that Gare Joyce is not a scout, he is a journalist and an author.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually it doesn’t do anything like that. It says you can only evaluate a draft pick when the player is in mid-career or later. Seems reasonable.

32. boneheadslanger33 says:

Quite low

33. andrewberkshire says:

If you watch the replay, it’s not a slewfoot. Much ado about nothing IMO, just because it’s Crosby. He got away with an interference penalty, but he just outmuscled the guy. At no point did he put his foot behind Callahan’s foot in order to slewfoot him.

I cannot believe that there are scumbags out there that rob the dead.

I hereby announce, that if anyone out there knows who the perpetrator is, and comes forward with the information that returns all the stolen property and convicts the person or persons responsible.

I will pay them $10,000.00 reward.

Ian

35. Bob Dobbs says:

I never suggested the news of it or comments about it should be censored, I was commenting on others’ comments about it.

36. andrewberkshire says:

Just because far worse things are happening all over the place doesn’t mean something isn’t worth talking about.

37. Storm Man says:

Im not sure what is going to happen with Pacioretty, I hope he is with the Habs come playoff time, But have a funny feeling he will be part of a trade to bring someone in for the playoffs.

38. Mr.Hazard says:

Stealing from a widow is pretty low man.

39. Mr.Hazard says:

Actually, the wallet is pretty much the only thing that was NOT stolen.

What disgusting behaviour…

40. andrewberkshire says:

Sergei Kostitsyn got called up last year, I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. The organization won’t sacrifice making the best move for the team because of an interview, they aren’t a bunch of children.

41. Bob Dobbs says:

“That’s one of the WORST things I have read in a while.”

I guess you don’t read the newspapers?

42. Bob Dobbs says:

Burns is not his wallet – it’s just a wallet. Cry me a river. Far worse attrocities are happening every minute in other parts of the world.

43. Scott in Montreal says:

It is disgusting. The asshole who did this just managed to make a painful day that much more so for a greiving widow.

<Inspector Clouseau> And Harry Sinden was NOT at the funeral. Coincidence? </Inspector Clouseau>

44. habs365 says:

now here’s a guy whom knows what he’s talking about..Halpern centreing the second line..put gomez on the 5th line…….

45. G-Man says:

Looks like a response by those in government, shirking their poor judgment, by trying to make scouting “too complicated” for regular people. Gimme a break!

46. Philly-Poo says:

I just read that on Yahoo! that Burns’ widow’s car got broken into, and I was going to post something myself…  I hoped it was just a tragic random theft, but, after reading that a lot of hockey related things were stolen, including Burns’ wallet, I don’t think it was random.  I hope that if a police officer catches the thief, that the officer’s gun has an “accidental discharge” into the back of said individuals head…

That’s one of the WORST things I have read in a while.  I really do wish a ton of harm upon that individual.

47. TomNickle says:

Not at all, and I don’t like the way he plays, I sincerely hope he gets moved for a good return at some point.

I just don’t think Pacioretty is likely to get a call up to the big club after his interview with Team990 earlier this year.

48. Storm Man says:

LOL I hope you are not on the Desharnais bandwagon also…. I would call him up if the stick boy has the flu.

49. Say Ash says:

Despicable. Truly. Makes Philly look classy.

50. Storm Man says:

Another donkey giving the city of Montreal a bad name.

51. Dintrox says:

Burns widow’s car broken into. A bunch of valuables were stolen including Pat’s wallet.

52. lenny says:

Gomez Will explode for 4 points tomorrow…if he was playing for Hamilton like he should this year ;)

53. jennifer1984 says:

i do know that White is out right now with a knee injury. too bad!

54. habstrinifan says:

Took quick glance at schedule. Oh Man! you are right beginning with back-to-back wed/thurs an against NJ as one of them. Even when NJ is nt playing well they are tough opponent for HABS.

55. Kooch7800 says:

Maxwell and White are having injury issues as of late. Desharnais is a centre and doesn’t really help our size issue.  Great hands and work ethic though.

I don’t think we have to worry.  Unless there is an injury no one is coming up

56. Dintrox says:

Crosby doesn’t surprise me. He got a roughing call for his third man in ball punching awhile back. Crosby is teflon.

57. lenny says:

Cant believe some one did this to Burn’s widow

58. Dintrox says:

double post

59. TomNickle says:

I would be blown away if Pacioretty got a call up this season even under the most dire circumstances.  If Maxwell, White or Desharnais are healthy, I would bet on them getting the call first.

60. Malreg says:

I was perusing some old posts on the HFBoards about scouting, and found this post by hockey author Gare Joyce, who was written a few books on NHL Scouting:

“I don’t buy rankings like that(referring to ranking a teams draft performance). Teams’ draft performances can be analyzed somewhat. One scouting director, a friend not in Columbus’ organization, spent months doing a team-by-team breakdown of drafts from 2000-2007. And, he says he figures that you can only conclusively and fully evaluate the 2000 and 2001 drafts because the players since are still evolving/developing. His bottom line: You can only evaluate a draft by comparing the players in their prime, not at stages along the way. Further there’s the question of development. Example: Have the Sabres done a better job drafting players or developing the players they drafted? Chicken-egg prop. If I were starting a scouting staff my first hire might be Randy Cunneyworth, Buffalo’s coach in the A.(now the Hamilton Bulldogs coach).”

61. Say Ash says:

The ‘stache brings him great power.

62. Kooch7800 says:

lol too funny.  The worst part is, if gomez continues to struggle I would move him to the third line and move up Halpern.  Halpern has great offensive instincts and I think could easily play with Cammy.  I would actually almost consider bringing up Max P and put Moen back on the bottoms six lines.  Moen is good but doesn’t have the offensive skills to be in the top 6 long term.

Send Webber back down so he can play. Using him on forward is just wrong.

Gomez can be a great player he is just in a serious funk. I hope he can get out of it soon.

63. Dintrox says:

what no George Parros? hate the guy but he has a signature Mo.

64. AndyC says:

I understand it’s sarcasm, but before we do anything I would like to see Gomez tried with two offensive wingers(Gionta and Pouliot) for an extended period of time, rather than one legitimate top 6 winger and a grinder.

If that doesn’t work, I’d try one last thing before completely getting on the we hate Gomez bandwagon. Place Gomez on the wing and put Eller at center. Cammalleri-Eller-Gomez or Gomez-Eller-Gionta. Gomez is a centerman, but aside from his defensive game, he hardly plays like a centerman. His game imo would suit more a complimentary winger role.

65. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I GOT IT!  I’ve just come up with a solution to the Gomez conundrum…  Let’s put him on a line with Pleks?  If Pleks make his linemates better and Gomez makes his worse, then the two opposing forces cancel themselves out and we are left with the two players playing to their potential.  Plus the move would leave room for Halpern on the second line and give a chance for Eller to move up to the third and increase his playing time.

It’s so simple.

66. DearyLeary says:

Please, Carey, keep the ‘stache.

Who was that moustachioed masked man?  It’s Morro!

67. forskis says:

Love his 30 thoughts….did not know Crosby pulled a slewfoot and the other team got the penalty…also, isn’t a slewfoot a suspendable offence?  Plekanec got a 1 or 2 game suspension for a slewfoot against the Oilers a season or two ago…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

The NHL Movember ratings are in.

69. DearyLeary says:

Need to plug the hole left by Chris Stewart’s broken hand.

70. Saku Koivu 11 says:

Looking for a place to watch tomorrow’s game?

McGill is having a charity hockey night!  1001 Sherbrooke Street West, 3rd floor lounge.  $10 tickets @ the door includes dinner and snacks, and cheap beer and wine will be sold.  We’re also having a HUGE auction with many amazing items!  Pavel Dastsyuk used and signed stick, Mark Recchi signed jersey and stick, Chris Chelios signed jersey, Habs tickets, items signed by Milan Lucic and Mike Fisher, and much much more!

50% of proceeds go to support the Right to Play charity.  The other 50% go to support McGill’s MBA Games Team.

71. MTLForever says:

Colorado has traded Hannan to Washington for Fleischmannnnn!

JD – Not to worry.  The laffs will start to turn the corner at the end of next year.

I tend to tread lightly when it comes to the laffs for two reasons.  They help keep my pension plan afloat and I sure as hell don’t want Boston getting their hands on Couturier.

Montreal winning it’s division and Toronto finishing 9th in the conference is a win-win situation for me.  BTW, today’s headline in the Toronto Star was that Kadri was being moved up to the top line.  And people on H I/O bitch about Eller’s ice time.

73. Dintrox says:

Leaf fans might have a small hope. Peddie is retiring next year.

74. JD_ says:
    * We find ourselves once again markin’ the anniversary of Brian Burke’s hirin’ as GM of the Toronto Mopey Loafs. Yes, it’s a day late, but as tradition demands, these things always take time and there needs to be patience. As is also tradition on this day of days, individuals are encouraged to celebrate the moment by losin’ somethin’. Be it the car keys, TV remote control, or family pet, the real appeal of the moment is the public denial anythin’s been lost and, in fact, has just been misplaced and is likely to be found very soon and in much, much better condition than it was before it was, uh, misplaced.
    *cough*
    * Marty F., who was in town to honour his ol’ Stanley Cup-winnin’ coach and friend, Pat Burns, says he won’t be playin’ on Thursday as his elbow has not yet fully healed. This is good. As everyone’s already painfully aware, regardless of how he’s playin’ or which sister-in-law he’s gettin’ caught sleepin’ with, Marty always, always, finds a way to pad his status as one of the greatest HabKillers™ on record.
    * Imagine my delight at the prospect of a couple of ol’ friends makin’ the five-hour drive over from Canada’s hockey wasteland, tickets in hand for Saturday’s matchup against Joe T. & The Chokin’ Twenty-Two, visions of steaks ‘n’ suds, center ice action, and Bell Centre babes dancin’ through my head, a quick glance at the Habs schedule this mornin’, and the revelation I’m goin’ to Disney On Ice™ presents: A Hockey Matinee. Jesus H. Christ in a wetsuit, the puck drops at 2:05ish. When we exit the Bell Centre, Red Fisher will only have just begun diggin’ into the creamed corn of his Early Bird Special. Argh, not a fan of the afternoon game but, takin’ everythin’ we have into consideration, I suppose there are bigger problems to be had.

* A quote from this article on Brian Burke’s track record after two years at the helm, “The Leafs [Loafs] of today are vastly different than the Leafs of two years ago. Except for one minor detail: they still stink.” That comment, which pretty much sums it up, goes to the heart of Burkie’s preoccupation with management theatre (ref. Chorske), i.e., an attempt by management to create the impression things are getttin’ done simply by doin’ things. Every act, regardless of relative banality, is inherently a good thing and every other GM need pay heed. “It’s the trade deadline, damnit, do somethin’!” Sometimes, sometimes, less is more.
  75. SeriousFan09 says:

Haha, there are many ways to knock on ‘ol Burkie, but few people can do it with your style JD.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

76. AndyC says:

Gomez gets 7.3 because that is what Sather believed he deserved. There is a difference between what the salary has on your individual expectations and what the player actually does on the ice and the players actual capabilities. A coach’s job is to exploit his players capabilities and by refusing to play Gomez with capable top 6 wingers he’s not doing his job as effectively as he can. Gomez has played over 16 of the 24 games with either Pyatt or Moen as his wingers…Do you honestly expect a complimentary player like Gomez to produce with that? It’s not a matter of expecting him to do x, but its about putting him in a position to do x and so far this season Gomez has been seldom in a position(aside from getting the ice time of a #2 centerman) to produce what is expected of him.

Regardless of the salary, Montreal’s biggest problem this year is the fact that they only have 3 of there top 6 producing at one time. For Montreal to get into the next level they need contributions for their second line. Gomez has never been a player to make his wingers better, he is a complimentary player. We have the wingers on the team to make a successful second line. Martin should bite the bullet and play them with Gomez for an extended period of time. There is no doubt Montreal would be a much more dangerous team with their top 6 producing rather than their top 3.

Andy – Gainey also believed Gomez deserved it or he wouldn’t have made the deal.  Indirectly, Gainey signed Gomez as an UFA by accepting Sather’s contract. And that was after Gomez shite the bed in NY.  Knowing that, Bob still took on the contract.  It’s all on him, not Sather (in terms of the present day).

As for our top 6 producing, I think the main problem is that we really don’t have six guys which is why we have been playing musical chairs.

Teams that spend up to the cap, usually come up short in one area.  A lack of a sixth guy up front is our Achilles Heel.  Pittsburgh in thin on the wings and Philly goes to the budget basement for goalies.  Washington and Boston both wish they could upgrade one notch on the D.  It’s why salary is just as important as skill and talent in today’s post-lockout world.

78. AndyC says:

We do have 6 guys, Pouliot, Gionta, Kostitsyn, Cammalleri and Plekanec have all been producing at the pace of top 6 players. Pouliot has played 3 games in a top 6 role, while Moen and Pyatt have both recieved much more time in that role. Pouliot worked with Gomez and Gionta last year and has not been given a legitimate try. Even in the games Pouliot did play in the top 6, he was removed by the 2nd or 3rd period.

As far as I’m concerned, we haven’t even attempted to play with a true top 6(and yes we do have the personnel) for more than 2 games.

As for why Gainey acquired Gomez, lets not make big broad assumptions like yours because assumptions can be made in either direction(both for good reasons and bad), but in the end they are assumptions. We have no information as to inner-workings of the deal and the actual reasons why. That is why we should take Gomez for what he is…a pure complimentary player. Anything else is just individual expectations of a player.

As for the argument that every team has its achilles heal, while I agree with that statement, i do think that montreal is making their own problem because they have a potential solution which has yet to be tried out. ie: Pouliot with Gomez and Gionta which was very successful last year until Pouliot was injured and couldn’t get his levelof play to what it was prior to the injury.

Andy – I’m not a big H I/O ping-pong player, but I’ll return one more volley.

I’m not sure what broad assumptions I made in my last reply but I will go on to make some more.  Last summer, it was pretty evident that we needed a centre.  Especially in light of the fact that Gainey knew he wasn’t bringing back Koivu.  Gainey hadn’t been able to develop a centre in six years (Pleks was drafted before Bob arrived) and he couldn’t pull off the Vinny deal.  There were only so many options available (at that precise time) so he finally decided on the Gomez deal.  He went into it with his eyes wide open.

As for the 6th forward, many posters took it for granted (or made the assumption:-) that Pouliot would be given a real shot at the job.  There were three question marks at the beginning of the year and AK46 and Pouliot breaking through as steady top six guys was one of them (Price and Subban were the others and they have obviously hit their stride).  There may eventually be a trade at the deadline, but for now, I agree with you in terms of Pouliot.  Go with the guy who is here now and give him a full 40 games to show what he can do.  The line shuffling tends to be counter-productive.  It also allows the other teams to key in on the Pleks line.

80. TomNickle says:

That’s completely unfair and runs contrary to Gainey’s philosophy based on his tenure as GM.  Thinking a player deserves to be making $8 million/year and thinking you need a certain kind of player are two very different things.

Did Hamrlik deserve a contract that pays him $5.5 million per?  No, never.  But we needed that kind of player and better to spend an extra couple million on a player that you feel makes your team better than to penny pinch on an alternative that you feel isn’t up to par or doesn’t fit well with the team you have.

81. TomNickle says:

Funny you don’t attribute any of Plekanec’s development to Gainey and last Saturday night in his interview with CBC Plekanec said there isn’t a man he respects more than Bob Gainey.

Tom – What I meant (in terms of the content of the wording) was that Pleks wasn’t drafted by Gainey.  That’s all.  In my eyes, a weakness of Gainey’s tenure has been his inability to shore up the middle.  It’s not an attack on Gomez (as such), but rather just a lament.

If I’m living in Tampa I would be pretty happy with my team but I would also be lamenting the state of the team’s goaltending.

Tom - I don’t see how it’s unfair.  Let’s say a team brings in a guy like Brian Campbell to fit a specific need.  The GM has to be accountable for  the enormous contract even if they need a Dman.  It goes with the territory.

I remember the Hamrlik signing.  We were hard pressed to get anyone else at the time.  So we paid top dollar and gave him an extra year that he possibly didn’t deserve.

Spacek was offered two years by Buffalo but we gave him three.  The coin was OK but we’ll have to wait and see about next year.

In this day and age of crazy contracts, it’s kind of difficult to really know who deserves the coin.  I think it’s mostly the guys on entry level contracts (Subban) or the +35 vets who take a huge paycut (Halpern).  Regardless, a player’s salary and cap hit is part of evaluating his overall worth to the team.

84. StevieRay says:

I was also “shocked” to see Gomez wearing the ” A ” on Saturday nite …leadership skills ??? ba humbug !…. especially since my boy Gorges who every nite takes a licking but keeps on ticking should be wearing it !

85. AndyC says:

Just because we place an extra offensive winger with Gomez does not necessarily mean they will lose. Martin has the personal to make a true top 6. Instead by placing Moen there, you only have one effective line. Montreal’s biggest problem(and this is why they get shutout when teams play an effective trapping game), is that the fact that for the majority of their games they have one line producing.

Martin has had Moen or Pyatt play with Gomez for 16 of the 24 games. Do you honestly expect a player who relies on his wingers to put up points(regardless of what his salary is because his salary does affect what he does on the ice, you’d probably argue that it should but it doesnt) to produce as effectively when one of those wingers provides zero offense? This is a legitmate question.

as for the playing Gionta and Kostitsyn with Gomez, that’s false, he did that for one game(at the end of the game) and then put Gionta with Plekanec and Cammalleri…then Kostitsyn and Lapierre with Gomez.

86. terrygain says:

I agree entirely. Gomez has had only one Top 6 winger on his line all year. Pouliot deserves a shot with Gomez, however if Martin puts him there and the line clicks, Martin will look silly for being so stubborn. So he’s tried pretty well  everyone else. The other wingers who’ve been put on Gomez’s  line – Moen, Lapierre and Pyatt do not have the offensive skills to complement Gomez’s game. If he’s not going to use Pouliot with Gomez I would like to see him try Darche. What he lacks in skill he makes up for with energy and intelligence.

87. TomNickle says:

Pouliot has also developed a lot of chemistry with Gomez, or rather it looked that way at the beginning of the season when they had limited time together.  Pouliot also has the speed to keep up with Gomez and Gionta on the rush, which is a big problem with Moen and the reason Pyatt was put there to begin with.

I can only assume that Martin feels that keeping Pouliot with Eller helps them develop chemistry going into the future and provides more scoring depth throughout the lineup.

88. JD_ says:

Yeah, I’m with you on the Goldilocks call for the Loafs; just bad enough to spare us any overhyped, CBC-sponsored playoff blather, but good enough to keep the Broonz from potentially makin’ life miserable for everyone in the EC.

Of course Kadri is bein’ moved to the top line. As per the Loafs’ RookieGrinder™ protocol, the higher Wilson ‘n’ Burkie raise the kid, the further back they can swing their boots.

The OTPP team is savvy and uncompromisin’. Great place to be pensioned.

89. DearyLeary says:

I’m worried that once the moustache goes, so too does the flash.

90. Harani says:

Price wins Molson Cup for the month of November too! Shocker! NOT!

In 12 games, he went 8-4-0, 4 times 1st star, 4 times 2nd star and 2 times third star. That’s a star in every game except 2 games. A 1.59 GAA and .952 SV%. Can’t ask for any better. If the month December follows in the same trend, it would be good.

“It must be love!”

Well… technically you can. His GAA can be 0.00 and SV% 1.000. He still lost 4 games – bum. Bring back Halak!!!

92. twocents says:

Good? That’s an understatement.

It would be great!

Vezina kinda shizzle.

Very difficult to misinterpret you Timo!

94. twocents says:

You dropped your MAB comment!?!!?!

What’s up, Timo?

Is the bloom off the rose?

No, it was in the wrong place. Meant to place it above. And it sounded sarcastic, even to me. I thought people might misinterpret. :)

MAB is everything Habs will ever need. There.

96. TomNickle says:

That was my point Timo.  At least Gomez has a positive impact defensively when he’s crapping the bed offensively.  When Cammalleri’s half asses it and isn’t scoring, he’s doing nothing productive at all.  I’d pay a lot of money to see Cammalleri backcheck hard or try his best to beat out an icing call.

Probably not going to see either of those things happen for a long time.

Cammalleri is not one to pout about playing with Gomer. Cammi had his share of half-assed games this season. But I doubt he was/is pouting. Who wouldn’t want to be with the 8 million dollar man. He has a lot to learn – for example, how to suck big and get a huge contract like that. It’s a skill, I tell ya.

98. habs365 says:

should play a month with crosby and see how a real $8,000,000 dollar player is suppose to play..wow he’s a playmaker..5 assist in 24 games..some of you people should give your head a shake..Halpern has 8 assist in 24 games and he’s playing on the 3rd line making $600,000..what a joke. I’ll tell ya what I think about Gomez..you could give him..malkin and crosby he’d make them look bad..at best he’s a 3rd line centre.. and if he played for me..that’s where he’d be..maybe on the 4th line..don’t know how someone could feel sorry for him..half the team working their butts off making half his salary..and management wonders why some nights the team don’t show up..all the scores..cammy,kostitsyn,pleks,gionta,halpern..should tell management..pay me or don’t play me..it works for gomaz……….

99. AndyC says:

Before attibruting all the blame to Gomez, I would like to him play at least 3-4 games with two-scoring wingers instead of just one and Moen. This is not an apologetic post towards Gomez, so please don’t interpret it as such. Gomez is a playmaker in the purist sense. Other teams know this and expect him to pass the puck. However, when you are only playing with one dynamic scoring winger, it is extremely easy to stifle Gomez’s line because guys like Moen are not given much attention. Instead, much of the attention usually focused on two wingers is now only focused on one(Cammalleri or Gionta). This results in the being easily neutralized.

So before I jump on the Gomez stinks get him out of town bandwagon(Though I do admit he isn’t playing well), give him the proper wingers for more than two games in order to see if a. the problem is in fact what I suggested and b. if Gomez can break out of his slump because it only benefits the team.

100. SmartDog says:

I don’t disagree with the idea that scoring wingers make better opportunity, but just wondering – do we want to win those 3 or 4 games?

And Gomez had Kostitsyn and Gionta for awhile and it wasn’t much different… so that test has already been done at least once.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

Andy – Gomez gets 7.3M to make his wingers better, not the other way around.  Just sayin’.

102. TomNickle says:

You’re hilarious.  Interesting that you see a correlation between scoring and effort.

103. habs365 says:

I do see the difference between scoring and effort..when you’re scoring you’re a winner.. when you’re not you’re a loser and you get an “E” for effort..that’s gomez..he’s been getting “E”s for 24 games.

104. petefleet says:

So it’s generally accepted now that if you’re not on the first line with Pleks, you’re in pergatory with Gomer.  To this I would be referring to Cammy’s “pouting” on Saturday night.  Is this a fact that has gotten little attention because it isn’t true or is there a grain of truth to it?  Anyone?

”’Price is a pleasant suprise”’

105. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri has nothing to complain about, if he is.  He can learn a lot from Gomez.

106. twocents says:

What “pouting” are you referring to?

Do you know soemthing we don’t?

107. Corio says:

Both Ottawa and Edmonton looked pretty weak last night, just that Ottawa looked weaker.  If Montreal comes out and plays ’their’ game, they will crush Edmonton.

108. JF says:

We are certainly capable of crushing Edmonton, but I can’t help worrying about the game.  No matter how much the players claim that they don’t take any team lightly, it’s almost impossible to bring the same degree of intensity and effort against a weak Western-Conference opponent as it is against a strong rival from your own conference.  We played against Edmonton late last season, and managed to beat them only in overtime.

There HAS to be a game between Sat and Wed. 4 days without hockey is much. What else is there to watch besides Gossip Girl?

110. Castor says:

Walking Dead keeps me going. It also reminds me of how the Habs play against teams that aren’t “Playoff contenders”… I guess we’ll see Wednesday

111. HabFanSince72 says:

With the Oilers finally clicking they will certainly move up in the standings. This means the Bruins are that much more likely to have a second top 3 pick in two years.

The Habs are the one team that could throw a monkey wrench in the Broonz plans. We need to trade Price and Cammalleri to Toronto for the Monster and their 2012 1st round pick.

Note that I have changed the deal a bit since yesterday. Now we give them Cammi instead of Pleks and get the Monster in return.

112. WarHero says:

Hey Folks,

As some of you may know, I have a band that I record with called “The Collective”. We have recently started putting our tunes out there for the public to hear and currently have a song called “Amazing Sunday Afternoon” (very groovy) at #49 in the Ottawa Rock charts on ReverbNation. If interested, you can listen to the song here:

ReverbNation Page

Facebook Page

We love feedback, so please leave any that you have.

Anthony

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Live Blog & HockeyBuzz

December is going to be a tougher month than November in terms of the schedule and the quality of opponents.

Both Edmonton and Jersey are cellar dwellers right now and Brodeur is on the shelf.  My only concern is the fact that Martin Gerber has started the last two games for Edmonton and they both were wins.

On the other hand, Edmonton usually gets outshot by a 4 to 1 margin during the first period.  Not to mention that Montreal has been 13-1-1 when they score the first goal of the game.