Quiet practice: Price shaves tonight!

Canadiens goalie Carey Price loses the caterpillar atop his upper lip before midnight, his work for Movember in support of prostate cancer awareness done. So much for superstition…

Price won this month’s Molson Cup as the Canadiens’ player of the month based on three-star selections. No big surprise there for the man who will start in goal tomorrow night at the Bell Centre against the Edmonton Oilers.

A remarkably uneventful practice in Brossard today, save for the return from two so-called therapy days for defenceman Josh Gorges.

Tomorrow will be the 800th NHL game for defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who categorically refused to speak today to RDS reporter Renaud Lavoie because Lavoie, unaware that he was working today, had shaved off his mustache one day early. Seriously.

A Spacek video coming in a short while, along with audio of coach Jacques Martin’s news briefing. The coach expressed no untoward concern about his team not filling the opposition net. He also denied that that he’s got a deal with La Cage aux Sports to keep Habs scoring to four goals or less, hence not offering fans free chicken wings.

1. JF says:

It’s certainly a tough schedule, but I think a road trip over Christmas and New Year is actually not a bad thing because it keeps holiday distractions and festive gatherings to a minimum.  The team stays together and focuses on their game.  We had a tough schedule last December with lots of road games, but we did very well. In fact, it was our good play in December that allowed us to make a playoff run.  But the back-to-back set against Boston and Philly is brutal.

2. Mats26 says:

Is it possible to know what the record is for consecutive games by a goalie allowing 3 goals or less in regulation? For a team?

3. habs365 says:

Ian: I don’t know you…all I can say you have to be Canada’s classiest man.

4. Danno says:

I got exactly the same thing.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. Danno says:

Don’t do it Carey!

You’ve got to stick with the Cary Grant look. It’s keeping pucks out of the net.

That mustache is as much a part of your equipment as your stick, glove and blocker are.

Don’t shave it. Save it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. SeriousFan09 says:

The problem is 10 road games and some back-to-back sets against some tough opposition including the Sharks, Red Wings, Toronto (They do treat our season series like the SCF), a BOS-PHI B2B set, our first meeting since April with the Capitals and one of our very unlovely trips into the Sunshine state at the end of the month.

I like our record, but the Habs need to do better this month when facing weaker or non-conference teams while they have their spirited engagements with their rivals.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Here’s a game-by-game breakdown for Max:

8. Bob Dobbs says:

In my view to emphasize a theft so much is to trivialize far more important things like Burns’ death. This is very relevant to hockey fans who have fond memories of Burns.

9. punkster says:

Yes, there are, and if they were related to the Habs or hockey then we’d comment on them as well. Your position is clear now bugger off.

10. sholi2000.com says:

This is not a bag of toys here and it wasn’t the parking lot of Toys R Us!

They Call Me Shane

11. sholi2000.com says:

8-5-0 in November, with not more than three goals scored against in any one game.  So much for a challenging month :)  I guess December is our real test now (being sarcastic), or maybe after Carey’s start at the AS game 😉

They Call Me Shane

12. shiram says:

Stache add that intimidating power, but on a goaltender its lost, because of the mask.

13. J_P says:

Seems like he’s picked up the goal scoring since the interview.  I cant find a game-by-game breakdown (and I dont follow the dogs that closely), but I seem to remember him having a good number of points, but not that many goals early in the season.  I go check today, and low and behold he has 11 goals now in 21 games, and his shooting percentage seems to have dramatically improved.

Looks like the kid is actually putting his money where his mouth is.

I also cant believe the big deal people are making.  All he said was that he feels that playing a lot of minutes in scoring situations in hamilton is better for his development than playing 4th line minutes in montreal.

14. shiram says:

No news, if there was any news, i’m pretty sure they would put up a blurb about it on here.

15. ZepFan2 says:

Got this today in response to my complaint against Cherry’s rant on Subban.

Thanks for contacting the CRTC with your concerns.

It’s the broadcasters
    themselves – not the CRTC – who are responsible for the programming they
    provide. This is spelled out in the Broadcasting Act. Our job is to make sure
    broadcasters have acted responsibly – and to hold them accountable for their
    programming when it’s called for.

In order to follow this matter, I am
    asking Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, by copy of this message, to respond
    directly to you within three weeks and to send us a copy of its reply for review
    by Commission staff. I am also asking that it hold a tape of the broadcast in
    question until your case is resolved. You will hear from us again if any
    regulatory action is required.

Your complaint and all related
    correspondence will be placed on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ‘s public
    file at the end of three weeks. The Commission may review it at licence renewal
    time and interested parties may consult the file at any time. In accordance with
    your rights under the Privacy Act, you may refuse to have your correspondence
    placed on such a file. If that is the case, please contact us within three weeks
    of the date of this response by clicking on the link provided below, by mail,
    fax or telephone, quoting the reference number. Please note that the Commission
    may not be able to pursue your complaint if all correspondence cannot be made
    public.

I am also providing you with a link to the fact sheet which
    explains the CRTC complaints process : http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/G8.htm

Hmm, to be continued…?

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

16. fuhgawz says:

Ok — What is the Markov status? for real any ideas?

ps. — for the idiots that broke into Pats car enjoy rotting in hell.

17. SLONCOLD says:

why is this a story? it’x mass shopping time and people ahve their cars broken into all the time…

18. joeybarrie says:

While it’s true that part of me wants vigilante justice… Let’s try to give an example of positivity and simply get back the items and make said person do some well deserved charity work. Nothing good will come out of hurting the person. It would make me feel better, and I would probably punch them in the face if I ever met them. But I will TRY to do the right thing.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. Say Ash says:

But then back to ‘stache come new year?

20. JD_ says:

If anyone, anyone on that team had any kajoanies, they’d get right into Ruff’s face while he’s steamin’ like that and tell the ol’ coach that Brett Hull was one heck of a hockey player.

21. joeybarrie says:

ITS OK…….. Carey had a great October with no Stache…. December will be Stache free and in my opinion only that much lighter, quicker and more aerodynamic….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. joeybarrie says:

Awful. HOWEVER, in order to have good people, you must have bad ones. For the most part, this person is on their own. I actually feel sorry for them. Mostly because of what could happen if anyone finds out who it is. Bury your husband and now you must deal with the pain of being personally invaded.

In the end though the poster below is correct. They are only THINGS and hopefully the day showed what value people, family and friends have over things.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

While I am not as rich as Ian, I will pay $20 to the kind soul who will chop the prick’s balls off.

24. Chris1138 says:

This reminds me of a story of a friend whose brother passed away in his teens from cancer and at the funeral they were going to play videos he had recorded on his webcam for youtube of him playing music. Some lowlife scum broke into their car when it was parked around the corner from the church and stole the computer that had the videos so now that family doesn’t even have the videos their son recorded. Absolutely disgusting.

Chris

25. Chorske says:

BOY are your panties ever in a bunch over this.

26. Chorske says:

Fair enough. Except that this is a hockey site, for Habs fans, some of whom have positive memories of Pat Burns, and who are therefore rightly expressing outrage at this turn of events.

Your comment is pretty grinchy, bub.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Some days, I consider whether or not I am too cynical about my fellow man. Incidents like this do nothing to ease my cynicism. Just disgusting.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Harani says:

I don’t if anyone posted this but Lindy Ruff is one angry man! I think it’s hilarious.

“It must be love!”

29. db says:

OB must be doing something right.

30. Malreg says:

Interesting theory, except that Gare Joyce is not a scout, he is a journalist and an author.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually it doesn’t do anything like that. It says you can only evaluate a draft pick when the player is in mid-career or later. Seems reasonable.

32. boneheadslanger33 says:

Quite low

33. andrewberkshire says:

If you watch the replay, it’s not a slewfoot. Much ado about nothing IMO, just because it’s Crosby. He got away with an interference penalty, but he just outmuscled the guy. At no point did he put his foot behind Callahan’s foot in order to slewfoot him.

I cannot believe that there are scumbags out there that rob the dead.

I hereby announce, that if anyone out there knows who the perpetrator is, and comes forward with the information that returns all the stolen property and convicts the person or persons responsible.

I will pay them $10,000.00 reward.

Ian

35. Bob Dobbs says:

I never suggested the news of it or comments about it should be censored, I was commenting on others’ comments about it.

36. andrewberkshire says:

Just because far worse things are happening all over the place doesn’t mean something isn’t worth talking about.

37. Storm Man says:

Im not sure what is going to happen with Pacioretty, I hope he is with the Habs come playoff time, But have a funny feeling he will be part of a trade to bring someone in for the playoffs.

38. Mr.Hazard says:

Stealing from a widow is pretty low man.

39. Mr.Hazard says:

Actually, the wallet is pretty much the only thing that was NOT stolen.

What disgusting behaviour…

40. andrewberkshire says:

Sergei Kostitsyn got called up last year, I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. The organization won’t sacrifice making the best move for the team because of an interview, they aren’t a bunch of children.

41. Bob Dobbs says:

“That’s one of the WORST things I have read in a while.”

I guess you don’t read the newspapers?

42. Bob Dobbs says:

Burns is not his wallet – it’s just a wallet. Cry me a river. Far worse attrocities are happening every minute in other parts of the world.

43. Scott in Montreal says:

It is disgusting. The asshole who did this just managed to make a painful day that much more so for a greiving widow.

<Inspector Clouseau> And Harry Sinden was NOT at the funeral. Coincidence? </Inspector Clouseau>

44. habs365 says:

now here’s a guy whom knows what he’s talking about..Halpern centreing the second line..put gomez on the 5th line…….

45. G-Man says:

Looks like a response by those in government, shirking their poor judgment, by trying to make scouting “too complicated” for regular people. Gimme a break!

46. Philly-Poo says:

I just read that on Yahoo! that Burns’ widow’s car got broken into, and I was going to post something myself…  I hoped it was just a tragic random theft, but, after reading that a lot of hockey related things were stolen, including Burns’ wallet, I don’t think it was random.  I hope that if a police officer catches the thief, that the officer’s gun has an “accidental discharge” into the back of said individuals head…

That’s one of the WORST things I have read in a while.  I really do wish a ton of harm upon that individual.

47. TomNickle says:

Not at all, and I don’t like the way he plays, I sincerely hope he gets moved for a good return at some point.

I just don’t think Pacioretty is likely to get a call up to the big club after his interview with Team990 earlier this year.

48. Storm Man says:

LOL I hope you are not on the Desharnais bandwagon also…. I would call him up if the stick boy has the flu.

49. Say Ash says:

Despicable. Truly. Makes Philly look classy.

50. Storm Man says:

Another donkey giving the city of Montreal a bad name.

51. Dintrox says:

Burns widow’s car broken into. A bunch of valuables were stolen including Pat’s wallet.

52. lenny says:

Gomez Will explode for 4 points tomorrow…if he was playing for Hamilton like he should this year 😉

53. jennifer1984 says:

i do know that White is out right now with a knee injury. too bad!

54. Kooch7800 says:

Maxwell and White are having injury issues as of late. Desharnais is a centre and doesn’t really help our size issue.  Great hands and work ethic though.

I don’t think we have to worry.  Unless there is an injury no one is coming up

55. Dintrox says:

Crosby doesn’t surprise me. He got a roughing call for his third man in ball punching awhile back. Crosby is teflon.

56. lenny says:

Cant believe some one did this to Burn’s widow

57. Dintrox says:

double post

58. TomNickle says:

I would be blown away if Pacioretty got a call up this season even under the most dire circumstances.  If Maxwell, White or Desharnais are healthy, I would bet on them getting the call first.

59. Malreg says:

I was perusing some old posts on the HFBoards about scouting, and found this post by hockey author Gare Joyce, who was written a few books on NHL Scouting:

“I don’t buy rankings like that(referring to ranking a teams draft performance). Teams’ draft performances can be analyzed somewhat. One scouting director, a friend not in Columbus’ organization, spent months doing a team-by-team breakdown of drafts from 2000-2007. And, he says he figures that you can only conclusively and fully evaluate the 2000 and 2001 drafts because the players since are still evolving/developing. His bottom line: You can only evaluate a draft by comparing the players in their prime, not at stages along the way. Further there’s the question of development. Example: Have the Sabres done a better job drafting players or developing the players they drafted? Chicken-egg prop. If I were starting a scouting staff my first hire might be Randy Cunneyworth, Buffalo’s coach in the A.(now the Hamilton Bulldogs coach).”

60. Say Ash says:

The ‘stache brings him great power.

61. Kooch7800 says:

lol too funny.  The worst part is, if gomez continues to struggle I would move him to the third line and move up Halpern.  Halpern has great offensive instincts and I think could easily play with Cammy.  I would actually almost consider bringing up Max P and put Moen back on the bottoms six lines.  Moen is good but doesn’t have the offensive skills to be in the top 6 long term.

Send Webber back down so he can play. Using him on forward is just wrong.

Gomez can be a great player he is just in a serious funk. I hope he can get out of it soon.

62. Dintrox says:

what no George Parros? hate the guy but he has a signature Mo.

63. AndyC says:

I understand it’s sarcasm, but before we do anything I would like to see Gomez tried with two offensive wingers(Gionta and Pouliot) for an extended period of time, rather than one legitimate top 6 winger and a grinder.

If that doesn’t work, I’d try one last thing before completely getting on the we hate Gomez bandwagon. Place Gomez on the wing and put Eller at center. Cammalleri-Eller-Gomez or Gomez-Eller-Gionta. Gomez is a centerman, but aside from his defensive game, he hardly plays like a centerman. His game imo would suit more a complimentary winger role.

64. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I GOT IT!  I’ve just come up with a solution to the Gomez conundrum…  Let’s put him on a line with Pleks?  If Pleks make his linemates better and Gomez makes his worse, then the two opposing forces cancel themselves out and we are left with the two players playing to their potential.  Plus the move would leave room for Halpern on the second line and give a chance for Eller to move up to the third and increase his playing time.

It’s so simple.

65. DearyLeary says:

Please, Carey, keep the ‘stache.

Who was that moustachioed masked man?  It’s Morro!

66. forskis says:

Love his 30 thoughts….did not know Crosby pulled a slewfoot and the other team got the penalty…also, isn’t a slewfoot a suspendable offence?  Plekanec got a 1 or 2 game suspension for a slewfoot against the Oilers a season or two ago…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

The NHL Movember ratings are in.

68. DearyLeary says:

Need to plug the hole left by Chris Stewart’s broken hand.

69. Saku Koivu 11 says:

Looking for a place to watch tomorrow’s game?

McGill is having a charity hockey night!  1001 Sherbrooke Street West, 3rd floor lounge.  $10 tickets @ the door includes dinner and snacks, and cheap beer and wine will be sold.  We’re also having a HUGE auction with many amazing items!  Pavel Dastsyuk used and signed stick, Mark Recchi signed jersey and stick, Chris Chelios signed jersey, Habs tickets, items signed by Milan Lucic and Mike Fisher, and much much more!

50% of proceeds go to support the Right to Play charity.  The other 50% go to support McGill’s MBA Games Team.

70. MTLForever says:

Colorado has traded Hannan to Washington for Fleischmannnnn!

71. Say Ash says:

The 15th anniversary of December 2, 1995 is approaching. I wonder how MT will honour the day?