Quick reminder about tonight’s “summit”

Final reminder about tonight’s Habs Inside/Out microsummit, from 7:30 pm onward at Le Manoir in Pointe-Claire, corner of Hymus and St. Jean boulevards. Stubbs, Boone, Hickey, Mio and cold beer, if not necessarily in that order. All the details at this post, which appears a short scroll down. Hope to see you there, provided you’re 18 and older.

• Your pre-summit Laugh of the Day

• And another one

Toews Lake? Not so fast …

• The NHLPA’s free agent tracker

1. Propwash says:

Is it going to be on the terrace or inside?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

2. Dave Stubbs says:

We’ll be inside (iin air-conditioned comfort), apparently along the wall just as you walk in the Hymus Blvd. entrance.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

3. saskhabfan says:

Cause they are dumb,and false.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

4. saskhabfan says:

He started more games then price did this year. Too bad you don’t do your homework.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

5. SuperStarz says:

haha i think that debate has been solved many times over. One is gone and should be forgotten, I think the conversation should be positive and refreshing like who’s going to make the team from the minors? will max Pac prove he’s nhl material? not shit that will cause drunken fights.

6. secretdragonfly says:

Can the Commentariat expect live-blogging from Mr. Boone?

7. Mr. Biter says:

Chris Higgins $1.6 Mil? And we think the Habs GM’s are/were crazy?

8. Mr. Biter says:

Don’t know when the Habs home opener is however if they do open at home (or come in with a losing record) and CP has a bad game this site  and the Bell Center will go nuts and as i have been posting PG should have signed CP before he traded JH. Stupid move which willl now cost us more in Cap Space.

SALARY CAP just more money for GM’s to spend for the same players.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

I can’t be there, but perhaps I could provide some points for debate, in case people need an ice-breaker.

So here they are:

Debate #1: Price or Halak, who will turn out to be the better goalie in the long run.

Debate #2a: Should the Candiens have traded Jaroslav Halak?

Debate #2b: or Carey Price?

Debate #3: Did the Canadiens get a good enough return on Jaroslav Halak.

Debate #4: At what point during the season (or pre-season) will the Bell Centre crowd start chanting “Jaro Jaro”.

Looking forward to reports of the proceedings.

10. GrimJim says:

sour grapes make the best vinegar

11. madmat411 says:

love how the NHLPA still cannot spell Sergei Kostitsyn’s name right : Kastsitsyn, Siarhei

12. HabFanSince72 says:

That’s like saying “Hamlet has been staged often enough”.

Some things are infinite.

13. camel_larry says:

Help a fellow HIO-er out? Vote for my town (Pinawa, MB – we are outnumbered almost 20 to 1 against Steinbach) in the Kraft celebration tour!

14. secretdragonfly says:

Dang!  My ongoing twitter-phobia catches up with me once again.

15. Dave Stubbs says:

If Boone live-blogs this, he’s more pathetic than I am, since I’ll be tweeting “highlights” of it from a BlackBerry in the absence of Wi-Fi.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

16. Mr-T says:

You my dimwitted friend, it is quite apparent that you have a severe case of cerebral atrophy.

17. crabvader says:

Remember the days when our biggest UFA splashes were the signings of older, end-of-the-line players?

I have to say, Gauthier is taking this team in a more youthful direction… I like it so far. It would be nice to see it pan out now.

18. camel_larry says:

Thank you very much, sir.

And I hope we get lucky and somehow pull out a win.. I’ve got like half the town (a whopping 700 or so) voting almost non-stop, so we may be able to pull it out.

Tit for tat. You just got one upped again!

20. Bugs says:

Sour grapes, folks! Get yer sour grapes here! Line’em up; enough fer everyone! Sour grapes! Soouurr grrrrapes! Best in the land! Get yerrrr sour grapes here!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

21. db says:

…so i just ran into a friend who wished he was at the micro summit too.. (i hope the next one is at a brewery)

within minutes he’s ranting about Halak.  I don’t post much, and promise never to mention his name again but i just gotta say.. Halak’s the next Ryder

IMO aside from maybe 1 player (choose at your discretion) the habs have let the right players walk (at least he was rfa and we got something) in the last couple year

22. HabFab says:

No need to defend yourself, state your opinion and walk away. By the way your writing and presentation has improved drastically since you started, keep it up! Sometimes forget how old you are, by the way gave you 3 votes as an atta-boy!

23. HabFab says:

But the pig isn’t…

24. The Capitalist Pig says:

Er, I’m not Canadian!

25. camel_larry says:

The discussion on this board is irrelevant, if you’re going to go there. We discuss the past and our opinions on the future, neither of which affect anything other than ourselves and the people who read it. None of it is productive. I never said or implied it was. I was writing my opinion, which is what this site is for, to discuss. And that’s all I was doing.

26. camel_larry says:

PG/BG—- Both have a higher IQ than any on this site and have infinitely superior hockey knowledge. There is a reason you are not the GM.

Gainey—- My brain puts out a mayday whenever I see one of your posts.

27. The Capitalist Pig says:

That thing hits the theatres and you guys are just done! Crap, that alone makes the election of G.W.Bush seem reasonable!

28. The Capitalist Pig says:

Whether one likes Price or not is irrelevant now. That management of the club has put all their eggs in his basket. Price’s fate is in his own hands. (I do recognize that his mates will have a lot to do with how he performs.) Let’s just fast forward and drop the puck on the ’10-’11 campaign and see how things work out. Going on and on about the Habs’ goaltending is as productive as complaining about yesterday’s weather.

29. camel_larry says:

bahZING!!

30. camel_larry says:

Why are you flaunting your ignorance by directing people to see you shaming yourself by agreeing to such ridiculous, yet entertaining, tripe? A save percentage of 9.12 (that is improving even further, IMO will be around .915-.920 this year) is a sign of a DECENT goaltender, and you are forgetting that Carey Price is widely regarded as (funnily, most people do, except the majority of Habs fans) the most promising goaltending prospect in the league? I’m willing to bet that if there was a real-life fantasy draft, he would be taken top 5. Lundqvist, Mason, maybe Miller are the only tenders that are similar value to him, because as a solid starter now and a projected (again, most hockey fans recognize this: except Toronto and Halak fans) elite goaltender for more than a decade, I can’t wait to have him and Subban on the Canadian roster in 2018, if not 2014.

Look on the bright side, guys. I hate to bring him up again, but Scotty Bowman (arguably the best talent evaluator of all time) has said he is going to be good. And I believe him. To disagree is to say you know more about hockey than he does, which NONE of us legitimately can. Call me a fanboy or whatever crap you want to, but I see these statements as facts, and see no reason to think otherwise.

Couple this with the fact the habs also took a prospect who is arguably one of the top 10 centremen prospects in the league, I’m pleased with what the Habs came out of the deal with.

31. Mr-T says:

Policy—-That requires a person to have a linear thought process. He confused enough as it is.

Hope —-They put out a Mayday the moment Gainey became the G.M.

32. camel_larry says:

shameless self-promotion time, just incase any of you are too lazy to scroll down a page and see my post from earlier: Help a fellow HIO-er out? Vote for my town (Pinawa, MB – we are outnumbered almost 10 to 1 against Steinbach) in the Kraft celebration tour!

33. Dr-Watson says:

Check out Mr T post in the Markov piece [last one posted]

34. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Not I.  The Koivu family will always be tops with me.

35. _Habsoloutly_ says:

See ya Pavel!!!  Enjoy the Caviar and Borscht.

36. TornApart says:

I’m kind of torn over the deal.

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Maybe it’s my undying respect for Saku,  but I’ve always liked the younger Koivu.  Good for him getting such a juicy contract,  there are lot’s of overpaid NHL player’s,  him getting a sweet deal does not bother me one little bit.

38. TornApart says:

Never got the start? Did you watch any of last season?

39. TripleX says:

According to CapGeek the Koivu contract is quite strange.

In years one, three and five he gets 7,290,000.

In years two, four and six he gets 5,400,000.

In year seven he gets 9,180,000.

The bonuses hit in years one, three, five and seven.

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

40. The Capitalist Pig says:

I have to admit that I’ve been involved in several cheap ploys to get others to fund my drinking habit, but this is the first time I’ve seen a blog used to do so. Good on you Gazoo guys! The Old Spice Guy would be proud!

41. Pucker Up says:

Well, which is it? Either he “never got the start”, or he “got the start weeks before the post season”.

You can’t have it both ways.

42. The Capitalist Pig says:

You displease BALLS!

43. TripleX says:

This is a ridiculous contract and is no way justified by his stats.

Kovalchuk is going to demand 12 million a year now.  xD

44. andrewberkshire says:

Apparently metaphor is beyond you.

45. andrewberkshire says:

And the same people who were bitching about the Plekanec deal will praise this like it’s the best contract ever. Despite the fact that they’re the same age, and Plekanec has more goals and a better +/- over roughly the same # of games in their careers.

46. sholi2000.com says:

I can see the headlines already.

“Habs Insider Out Loner Stalks Patrons, Shoots Self”

All survived the incident as the lone gunman trips and shoots self.

After a brief investigation it was found out that Habs Guru has signed on as 33 different names on HabsInsideOut only to be turned back by it’s members.

Habs_Guru says while crying ” I just wanted to fit in (Burp as he eats another donut), I wasn’t really going to shoot anyone, just scare them into liking me (burp)”

Shoi2000.com says “the guy just doesn’t get it, we true fans come here(HIO) everyday to discuss over favourite team and the players on it, no one wants to hear disgruntled fans whine over and over about the same people.  It’s a game, just enjoy what you have”

City Police couldn’t charge the inept fan for being stupid, however his computer has been taken away and his parents must now watch him 24 and 7.  The member in question is 28 years old, and lives in his parents basement.

Seriously though, this is how it all starts.

They Call Me Shane

47. nightmare_49 says:

Pierre LeBrun tweets

Pavol Demitra has signed a one-year contract with Yaroslavl of the KHL, agent Matt Keator confirms to ESPN.com

48. HabFanSince72 says:

$6.75M for 7 years ! Wow! That is a lot.

He has exactly the same numbers as TP.

49. LA Loyalist says:

I just wish M. Gauthier would just admit his policy of not signing any forwards over 5′ 7″ for fearing of making Mr. Gomez look bad. That way we can just give up now and not have false hope. :) have fun tonight!

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Securing their captain through his prime years, smart move. Still need many more moves to start competing but this was a very crucial signing for them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. nightmare_49 says:

Mikko Koivu Gets A Long Extension With The Wild

added 5:56pm, via Michael Russo tweet,

Sources: Koivu’s deal is 7 years, $47.25 million. $6.75 AAV, no-trade, 5 signing bonuses throughout. Richest deal in #mnwild history

52. Psycho29 says:

I was hoping for rain so my softball game would be cancelled….no such luck! :-(

Have a great time boys and girls!!!

53. Psycho29 says:

I like the save Bower makes WITH HIS BARE FACE @ 3:12

54. Psycho29 says:

I would suggest patting down the patrons tonight. Will there be a metal detector at the door????

55. db says:

Chances of one downtown?

56. camel_larry says:

make that 9 year, 45m and I’d be good with that.

57. notbigbird says:

Probably because you don’t know what a demagogue is.

58. joeybarrie says:

Considering this is an official spelling directly translated from Belarusian: Siarhiej Aliehavič Kascicyn

And this is the exact spelling: Сяргей Алегавiч Касціцын

They haven’t done too badly… I think the “Sergei Kostitsyn” is the most English friendly version…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

59. Mike Boone says:

Cheer up, bro. I doubt it will be the last one.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

I posted my remarks on the CBC news comments section about the Toews lake outcry.

‘The policy is partly in place so the government doesn’t
    immediately slap a deceased soldier’s name onto something and use him as
    a publicity prop for themselves. I like the policy, prevents a
    government from suddenly using a deceased war hero like a prop in a
    provincial or federal election.

It’s a government policy and
    Manitoba isn’t running out of lakes.’

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. ZepFan2 says:

Who’s “manor” will that be?

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

62. ZepFan2 says:

Just one thing.

Before those questions are brought up, may I suggest removing all cutlery. Especially the knives!

Steins should also be closely monitored.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

if you drink don’t drive! — you don’t want to do that, you might hit a bump and spill it!

Too much wisdom in that reply so I changed it. ;-)

65. crabvader says:

SK = dumbass

Moore = wrong end of 30

Halak = too expensive for Montreal

What’s your point? I mean instead of signing older players, we are bolstering our youth.

Get it?

66. Sportfan says:

Damn im going to miss out :( have alot of fun !

67. ZepFan2 says:

I liked your first response. ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

Because nobody here can handle your wisdom.

69. idle says:

I am dissapointed any time I don’t get to be somewhere there is cold beer

70. Chuck says:

No. But he taught Serge everything that he knew.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

71. Propwash says:

Perfect, I used to work just down the road from Le Manoir. Went a few times at beer-o-clock (just after my shift was done)

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

72. Max_a_million says:

I am so bummed about not getting to go to this.

73. punkster says:

I’ll be ther with a friend.

FREE TIMO!

74. Kooch7800 says:

I would love to go if i wasn’t over 5 hours away!  Have a beer for me guys

75. Traf27 says:

I work at 4 am tomorrow so won’t be closing the place out tonight, but for a new poster I can’t miss this opportunity.

76. Chuck says:

Sixth-Line Pub.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

77. secretdragonfly says:

Or what was the name of that Hab-friendly bar in Oakville (near Sixth Line?)

78. Chuck says:

We need to do something for the Southern Ontario crowd… perhaps at Kilgour’s?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

79. Chuck says:

You’re right, Sherrie. Sigh…

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

80. secretdragonfly says:

Plus there’s that pesky job thingy that keeps getting in the way of all the fun – I feel your pain.

81. Propwash says:

AFAIK, Yes.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

82. Say Ash says:

They still serve pig knuckles?

83. Chuck says:

Hmmm… if I leave from the other side of Toronto right now…

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

84. secretdragonfly says:

It’ll take you 3 hours just to get through to Ajax.

85. zozotheclown says:

Man if I wasn’t leaving for Toronto in 20 minutes I would totally be there, sounds like a blast, plus its like a 20 minute walk from my house (which seems much shorter in a drunken stupor at 1 AM). Oh well, unlucky timing, have fun and hopefully you’ll do it again sometime.

I’ll try and pee on the ACC if I have time :P

86. homerbowen says:

I thought they were open until 3 AM!!!!!!

87. zozotheclown says:

Manoir closes at 12 I believe.

88. HabsAndNothingElse says:

They close at 3am…100% sure!

——————– Habs Hockey Nothing Else Matters –CH–

89. homerbowen says:

I would love to be there, however, I will have a cold one (or two) tonight here in Toronto thinking about the great time I am missing. Go Habs Go.

90. otter649 says:

Heard Mr. Stubbs talking about tonights get together on The Team 990 – Sounds like it’s gonna be a fun time………..

Whoa Baby – What’s Going On In Pennsylvania…..(Bob Cole)

91. Mr Dobby says:

I have a ball hockey game tonight but this should be repeated more often.