Quick hits

The numbers that matter:

2: Sleeps until the Canadiens play the Flyers in Philadelphia

90.5: Canadiens league-leading penalty-kill percentage

6: Power-play goals scored by the Leafs in two games before facing the league’s best PK

29: the jersey number of the last Canadiens goaltender to shut the Leafs out on Montreal ice.

62: Home games against Toronto since the last SO

33 years, eight days: Since Ken Dryden did it on Nov. 12, 1977

134: Regular season games, during which he totalled four shutouts, Carey Price had played heading into this season

41: Number of games Price played in 2009-’10 without posting a shutout

19: Number of starts Price has needed to ring up four goose eggs this season.

8: Jersey number of the player who set Mike Cammalleri up for his nicest one-timer of the season

0: Number of Canadiens who wear the number 8

One more 8: Brian Gionta’s shots on goal in game the Canadiens could have won 6-0.

They were that dominant.

There were that many odd-man rushes against a very slow Toronto D.

In his post-game remarks, Jacques Martin spread the credit around:

• Roman Hamrlik and Jaro Spacek, whom Martin praised for bouncing back from a tough night against Nashville

• The PK in general and Jeff Halpern in particular

• The Lars Eller line, which “created some chances and were good defensively”. Martin professed “complete faith” in Eller

• The shot-blockers (Hal Gill had five); “We have people who are committed,” Martin said.

The coach did most of his gushing … OK, quiet, Jacques Martin-type gushing … about his goaltender.

He praised Carey Price’s maturity, work ethic and even-keel temperament, in victory and defeat.

“Last year was a tremendous growth year for Carey Price,” Martin said. “It may be difficult to understand, and it might have been hard for him to realize it, but what happened last year was good for his career.”

In other words, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, once they make the trade that had half of Montreal wanting to kill Pierre Gauthier.

Martin reiterated that the organization’s faith in Carey Price has never wavered.

The goaltender has excelled at every level of hockey, the coach added, and it is “normal for him to keep growing.”

More numbers:

Price and Michal Neuvirth are tied with 12 wins.

He and Tim Thomas are tied with four shutouts.

Price’s GAA of 2.00 is fith in the league, his save percentage of 93.2 is seventh.

No goaltender has played more minutes.

Only Jonas Hiller has made more saves.

Price was outstanding and had good support from his D and forwards, who consistently came back to help with zone-clearing.

But hey … it was the Leafs.

Monday night will be more challenging.

1. crabvader says:

Lol, I know. My point was that the only Richards I know of is Brad. 😉

2. RetroMikey says:

We need a big offensive CMan and a big bruising DMan to compete,

I’ve said this for the past 2 years on this site and most HIO fans don’t agree or are quite content with this current roster we have..

If Gauthier does not act soon, our Montreal Canadiens will sink like the Titanic when it comes to the playoffs, an exit  where Boston or Philly make it to the final.

That is not good enough for me.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

3. Mr.Hazard says:

ok ok, from that perspective I can understand.

4. WarHero says:

Nice 🙂

Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Live Blog & HockeyBuzz

5. DearyLeary says:

hahaha, I love the Pricey giggle.

6. petrov14 says:

Its so good I had to post it to my Facebook.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

7. kempie says:

OMFG I am speechless. I missed a couple of weeks around that time so I didn’t see it. I am floored that RDS showed that. Unreal that they weren’t ejected. And I was ashamed of the knobs who boo the anthem. Man I gotta go shake my head for a while.

8. Jordio-oh says:

i think maybe because a 2.00 gaa and a .932 sv% is considerably better than halaks stats last year. I think its proper for Boone to hype our incredible goaltender especially since all of the less educated masses over the summer saying Carey will never get it together. Its still quite early, but don’t be surprised if Carey finishes the season with a 2.25 and a .920 sv %. And the entire ride, we’ll be praising his play. So be prepared.

9. habs001 says:

hopefully he can become a scorer but past stats indicate maybe not as he has scored about 96 goals since 2004…

10. Number31 says:

Mike, not Brad. Brad Richards is a gentleman of a player.

11. Former Jets Fan says:

As a proud Price fantasy owner, I’d like to say “Attaboy!” and “WOO WOO!”  Doubling his shutout total through 3 years in the league in 19 starts.

Digging through some stats, came across this gem for Jeff Halpern –

Shorthanded Faceoffs won : 39

Shorthanded Faceoffs lost : 14

He’s only +10 in 168 even-strength draws, but those figures above should go a long way towards explaining the team’s penalty-kill being so automatic.  Our main man Tomas Plekanec, however, hasn’t improved yet on his face-off numbers.   Here’s where our centres stand at the quarter-pole:

11. Halpern – 57,3%

44. Gomez – 50,9%

61. Plekanec – 48,4%

Also of note – Bulldogs vs. Marlies on CBC, Sunday at 1PM eastern.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

An amusing GIF I found at HF Boards.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

A very ugly incident from last season, it was after PK’s call-up, a few games later and in what I believe was a losing game, two guys in blackface “Subbanator” knockoff t-shirts and afros were sitting in the crowd. Worst part is no ushers got them out of there the second they saw it and that the RDS crew actually put them on air.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. kempie says:

Blackface? Please tell me you’re not serious.

15. crabvader says:

Brad Richards? Sorry, I don’t remember half-way losers who’ve never won the Cup and decide they have the right to talk about respect.

Especially since the aformentioned doesn’t have the best reputation for respecting players himself.

16. crabvader says:

Were you here during the summer? A lot of people were CONSTANTLY whining about Price.

Non-stop, every hour of every day.

Boone has every right to post his stats after everything he and many others have had to endure throughout the offseason.

17. crabvader says:

To see Price play this good makes it all worth it, the media stupidity and the HI/O insanity during the summer.

Atta boy!

He does look a little better, but whether he can turn into a scorer, say score more than Gomez, remains to be seen. I think he could add some speed to his skating… but hopefully Gill can give him some lessons when it comes to that.

19. twocents says:

Eller is the real deal, and I am really appreciating the slow approach they are taking with him. He will be a complete player by the time this team starts to rely on him.

20. Chuck says:

19 starts, and Price has already posted TWO stretches of 5-1-0. An both of those losses? Yep… they were shutout.

Centre Hice: How do I hate thee… let me count the ways

Thin year. In the 1st round you mention 2 of the 3 best. The other is:

11th Pick Anze Kopitar C Sodertalje Jrs [Sweden] 318GP 113G 172A 285Pts 94PiM

22. Chuck says:

Then you need to jog your memory. 🙂

And Halak was not “consistently one of the best in the league last year.” He had some incredible games, but consistency was far from his strongest suit.

Centre Hice: How do I hate thee… let me count the ways

23. Mr.Hazard says:

What’s with all the oogling over Price’s stats after every game? Halak was consistently one of the best in the league last year and it was hardly ever mentioned (as far as I can remember)!

I’m honestly very happy with his play, he has exceeded all of my expectations! I’m just not used to Boone rolling out goalie stats after every win.

Four shutouts in 19 games? Sick!!

24. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I’m sure even half the crowd at GM Place (or wait….is it Rogers Place, or something?) is probably thinking, “Enough already!”

Mighta been a little funny 6 months ago, now it’s just sad

25. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Habs win, Leafs lose, Bruins lose, Sabres lose…..that’s my kinda night

26. sidhu says:

Eller just gets better and better, he almost had his first tonight, I imagine he’ll get it very soon.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take the green men (For us it would be a Blue Man, a Red Man and a White Man though) over people booing the US Anthem, our own goalie in pre-season and some morons in blackface personally.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Mike Boone says:

Guy went to Princeton … and graduated. Stupid he ain’t.

Hey, I am wondering. Did anybody in Philly media ever paid any attention to Richards stupid rant about PK?

Laffs and other teams were just an employer. Burns was the Habs.

Somewhere Eliisa must be very giddy.

32. NoTinFoilCups says:

Seeyalater! Komihater!

Turnitover! Komilover!

Now that’s just plain silly. lol

33. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I don’t watch many Canucks games, do those guys STILL do that?!?

34. rocketsglare says:

A total team win. The Habs simply outskated, outshot, and outworked the Leafs all night long and if it

were not for Gustavsson, the score could have easly been 6-0.

The D was imposing with Gill especially looking very solid protecting the net. Halpern and Eller looked

very impressive moving the puck and attacking the net and what can you say about Carey? He’s just

on fire. Great team win and with Boston also losing, just a perfect night of hockey.

Now, the interlude before Monday’s game against the Flyers, which should be the mother of all grudge

35. Exit716 says:

You mean embarrassing like those idiots that dress up in green by the penalty box?

36. VancouverHab says:

You’re bang on — and that don’t look good for the playoffs…

37. Ayan_SB says:

Make that 7-0 Chicago.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Canucks-Hawks is just embarassing at this point for a competitive game. Hawks have them completely broken by the time they hit the ice, it’s like us and the NJD with higher scoring.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

39. Ayan_SB says:

6-0 Hawks now against the Canucks. I keep reading how Vancouver’s a Cup contender this season, but man, they better hope they don’t face Chicago in the playoffs.

40. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Said the same thing to my friend earlier this week about his hockey smarts.  I don’t think I’ve winced or second-guessed one play he’s made all year.

41. Richrebellion says:

That pass reminded me of the pass Gionta gave to Cammi on the 5 on 3 against Philly. I guess Komi forgot that hes playing for the leafs and not Montreal or he just wishes he was back with us lol

42. smiler2729 says:

Mike Komisarek, Hab lover. If I were a huge Hab fan playing on the Laffs I’d do that kinda stuff too… or maybe he’s just an idiot.

43. smiler2729 says:

More proof that Burnsie will FOREVER be a Hab…

44. iwardhabs says:

Even skipping tonight, Halpern has been a first-class pickup.  Smart, cerebral play, while also tough and hard-nosed.  Overall, he fits perfectly with the responsibility ethic that JM has been working to install.  Our pro scouts are to be commended.

45. Mr. Biter says:

Bring Jimmy Bonneau up to tangle with Shelly 1st shift and then lets get down to hockey monday night.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

They honestly shouldn’t start Luongo against CHI anymore. Play the backup, Hawks own the guy and everyone knows it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

47. darcy1 says:

so who wants to pull a Shane Stant and break Scott Gomez’s leg so that Eller can play on the 2nd line? (just make sure the job gets done)

Another bonus – all the cap space we would have!

(if you don’t get the Stant reference, click here & read the first sentence.)

48. habaholic68NJ says:

At the moment, Price is the best goalie in the NHL.  Keep it up Carey.

49. VancouverHab says:

Habs shutout the Leaves and the Canuckleheads are getting shutout 4-0 after two by the Black Hawks. I must be living right!

50. Komihater says:

Im changing my name to Komilover!

51. andrewberkshire says:

Looking at the 2005 draft right now, only Crosby looks like a better pick than Price.

52. smiler2729 says:

Yeah that was a beauty! Classic line for the ages!

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Some projecting stats because I’m a numbers guy:

If Carey Price plays 70 games this season, he will have 44 wins, 14 shutouts and pass Georges Vezina, The Chicoutimi Cucumber (Very apt, considering Price’s demeanor this season) for career wins with MTL with 105 wins total and only 6 wins out from firmly claiming a place in the top 10. His 14 shutouts would also have him 10th all-time for career shutouts tied with Michel “Bunny” Larocque.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

54. DearyLeary says:

It was such a perfect pass, to the guy who arguably has the best shot on our team.  Glorious.

55. Matt_in_TO says:

I saw that.  I was going to send him a message but I think he blocked me.

– In Price We Trust

56. yukonhab says:

Price was stellar. Full team effort. All deserve full credit.

– Price 31

57. HugeHabsFan says:

Me too!  I was just going to post something along this line.  I think those are my two favorite lines written on this site so far this year! :o))

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Komisarek has been a trending topic on Twitter for over an hour now, it’s hilarious.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

59. Matt_in_TO says:

0: Number of Canadiens who wear the number 8

I’ve been laughing at this for about 5 minutes now and can’t stop.

– In Price We Trust