Quick hits

Your Montreal Canadiens win with Andrei Markov, and they win without him.

They win polite, civilized games.

And, it seems, they win schoolyard brawls.

When Peter Laviolette coached in Carolina, the Hurricanes did not have an enforcer. And he was cool with that.

Laviolette goes to Philadelphia and …

Send in the clowns.

Jody Shelley on the power play with two minutes left in a 3-0 game?

Gimme a break!

Next Monday, the Canadiens visit Philadelphia. On Dec. 15, the Flyers are back at the Bell Centre.

This could be a season-long war … and the Canadiens have drawn first blood.

“We just gotta keep getting better,” Jacques Martin said.

It’s hard to think Carey Price can get any better.

His third shutout of the season brought Price’s record to 11-5-1.

His GAA is 2.06.

Save percentage: 93.0.

These are sick numbers.

Through two periods, Philadelphia held a 33-19 shot advantage. Price kept the Canadiens in the game with highlight reel saves.

All the technical aspects of Price’s game are impeccable, and his confidence is sky-high. He kept his team in the game against a very tough and resolute opponent, and it was very entertaining before the third period became a goon show.

•  •  •

The Martin Mantra: Goaltending and special teams.

The Canadiens penalty kill is the league’s best: 89.7 per cent success rate.

The long-dormant power-play produced a goal against Vancouver, two against Boston, three against Carolina (albeit at garbage time) and two against Philadelphia.

The PP, which worked at single-digit efficiency for the longest time, is at 15.7. The Canadiens have scaled the dizzying heights of 18th in PP efficiency … and that’s number 18 with a bullet, as we say in Top 40 radio.

More tomorrow.

1. StevieRay says:

Briere : Little douche in a big pond

2. Mr.Hazard says:

I do. I care what the forward in Anaheim does too. I continue to be a fan of certain players even if they move on, because of their class and what they did for our team.

Relax!

3. mbplekfan says:

The win tonight gives PG some time before making a move. He’s not desperate and can afford to shop around.

Regehr in Calgary makes sense. He has a salary we can afford that Calgary cant. He replaces Hamrlik for next year. He’s physical and defensively responsible.

Lapierre is on a one year contract that Calgary can afford.  We have depth on the farm to replace Lapierre. Throw in a 3rd round pick or a prospect like Weber and Calgary gains cap room, a cheap, reliable checking centre and a prospect or a pick and we get what we need.

Hopefully Sutter and PG see it the same way.

4. yukonhab says:

Great post dude! You rock!

Support your local indian – Price 31

5. believer says:

Ok so, we won, thats gr8 and all but hell id be damned if i say i am proud of this win. I find it hard to believe that this could be called a hockey match. For a second there i mistook it for wwf. Unfortunately this isnt new, the flyers have a reputation for being bums. Resorting to outright violence out of spite/disappointment is completely unnecessary. How do you sleep at night?

Regardless of this barbaric behaviour gotta give our boys props. extremely good game with a penalty kill that would make any team shake in their shoes. Carey Price is improving on a daily basis and pk seems to be finding his feet. lets just hope halpern is ok, being ridden by injuries is getting old.

6. VancouverHab says:

No. We need to do exactly what we did. Because exactly what we did was beat a successful team. So I’d like to do just the same, thanks.

7. VancouverHab says:

Come on! We beat the Pens & the Sens in the playoffs with the same size lineup.

And, Dude: WE’RE WINNING! Do ya think mucking about with the lineup may be, oh, you know, like a …. completely retarded idea?

8. Rob says:

I couldn’t agree more!

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

9. Rainrocket16 says:

Enough of size!! we  proved to the NHL that speed and skill can easily beat toughness! We may not be the toughest team but dammit we can skate and shoot! We are finally the team that everyone fears to play on their schedule! Plus Price is on fire!

10. habs001 says:

a solid game …hopefully we keep it up vs preds on thurs…the leafs will give us problems..for some reason i cant figure out why the type of forwards they have gives us problems…while we scored 2 pp goals i believe in the long run we cannot be consistent on the pp without finding another point guy besides pk… these points are very important as we have played very few top teams on the road plus 7 game road trip in december

11. Rainrocket16 says:

I love PK!! You are the man! Finally someone who doesn’t back down from the Goonerly love Bros! he plays old time hockey in a new time format. This kid will be a great asset for years to come! Carey is the goalie I have been waiting for, finally he is coming around. I am will to put Carey’s bad years aside for what he has done so far. This Habs team is for real, this game was a huge test and I can’t think of anyone in this club who failed tonight. Great Poise Boys!!

Markov…I will miss you brother, although I am starting to forget you. not your fault. Best health my brother! I feel like I lost a fellow soldier!

Go Habs Go!!!

12. Jbird says:

Not at all . . . Crazy pace they are at right now.

13. Jbird says:

Top 40 radio? So Mike Boone is Casey Kasem?  Ah Ha!

PVR messed up my West Coast, late night, after work routine.  But those were some nice highlights!  Without knowing what happened, really, I’ll leave it at just saying Un F. Believable!

14. jhaze says:

Very happy with the way things are going so far but still think we are too small for a 7 game series in the playoffs against bigger and stronger teams. Let’s hope management can pull off a few small moves before the dead line and pick up some grittier, experienced guys.

15. Hockey Socks says:

Alex Henry?

Habs can dress me for one shift against Carolina next time.

17. ooder says:

aa with the sh!tty weather in montreal and exams and stuff i’ll take all the positives i could get 😉

over an 82 game season for sure there will be downs.. but u gotta like what your seeing now ..

way better then the Carbo days wouldn’t you say

——————

88 is the new 23

18. Da Hema says:

I am a little worked up after this game tonight, but I do agree with you, Timo, when you mentioned how we keep losing players to the dirty teams. If this league isn’t going to enforce its rules, then Habs are irrational to turn their cheeks to what we saw tonight. Just like the Hurricanes demoralised us by carving up Saku, we should return the favour against the Flyers and teams like that. Screw them.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

Don’t count on it.

Misha, it’s all great and all but let’s not get too excited just yet. It’s only November. Don’t get me wrong, I think Habs are off to a superb start but it is a long long season and we got a few older guys on D, some frail guys up front and let’s just say that I am sure we are going to need all these points we are getting now come April. There will be downs but unlike last year, this team doesn’t smack me as a “squeak by the skin of their teeth in playoffs”.

21. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Still need improvement, though, on the PP. If we intend to be a team without enforcers, then we need to be able to punish teams that play like the Flyers did with the kind of PP we used to have. If we get to that point, the Flyers will be in big trouble against us because they clearly have trouble with our speed game.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

22. smiler2729 says:

Teams do win or lose games but how come I got so much grief after the playoffs when I wrote that when all the Halak-is-God crap was going on?

I’d prefer if Lapierre just whacked him across the face with a stick. BUt that’s just me.

24. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Gotta give credit to Moen. For a lunch-pail player, tonight he was brilliant. Constantly driving to the net (gave the Flyers defence fits) and relentless behind the net and in the corners. Very impressive!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

25. ooder says:

Pleks now 13th in scoring.

Price 2nd in shutouts, tied for first with wins, 6th in GAA and 6th in save %.

the habs have still not allowed more than 3 goals in regulation.

we are 4th in point percentage, SECOND OVERALL IN THE LEAGUE FOR GOALS AGAINST PER GAME

FIRST OVERALL IN PENALTY KILLING

and our PP is rising and getting better.

most of the dormant players are waking up.

now.. these are some crazy stats when you step back and look at them.

a lot of thigns to be proud of there.

this is why it annoys me when certain fans refuse to give management the benefit of the doubt… oh well it’s that much better when they are proven wrong :)

go habs!

——————

88 is the new 23

26. NightRyder says:

Who cares what the goalie in St. Louis does?

Flyers – what a bunch of dirty (deleted). Why can’t Habs have a player who would just be there to injure and hurt the opposition? Once, just once I would like to see somebody go for a knee, or a wrist or a face and break it. Ooooh, I feel violent.

Anyhoo… we can’t keep losing bodies like this every game. Habs need to get meaner (they are tough enough to play and beat goon squads like Philly, but it is costing us). Habs need to get meaner – a lot meaner.

Kudos to Price for a fantastic night and PK will eventually get to smack that punk Richards around.

Go HABS Go!!! Look forward (or maybe not so much) for the rematch next monday.

28. Da Hema says:

Kudos to Lapierre for responding to Powe. Doing that has to be inspiring to his teammates, knowing as they must that Laps is way, way, way out of his weight class there.

You’ve got moxy, Maxi!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

29. ebk says:

or is it, at this time of night, you are not remotely comprehensive!

30. Number31 says:

…Does he have any teeth?

31. christophurrr says:

he thinks he’s hilarious, but i think he just comes off as a smug dick.

i feel embarassed for him, seeing how full of himself he is in such a public forum.

32. JasonM says:

Powe had a couple of high elbows tonight. Any chance that we get some reviews going on? The hit on Halpern was a clear hit from behind with his elbow to the head against the boards.

I just ponder what kind of emails would have been written by Campbell if it was his son on the receiving end of that.

33. PrimeTime says:

.978 (137/140) save percentage the last 3 pretty tough games. Halakian!! :) I hope he remains humble. Teams win games…..always have, always will!!!

34. light_n_tasty says:

Welcome to hockey.

35. shootdapuck says:

In character! What do you expect from a career 15 goal scorer?

Seems to have perfected the elbow delivered at the end of a hit!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

36. avatar_58 says:

Please tell me this isn’t another injury filled year.

37. light_n_tasty says:

The thing that got me about the Powe hit last year was that, while Spacek was lying on the ice, with blood oozing out of his helmet, the fans were booing him.

Stay classy, Philadelphia.

38. Exit716 says:

But don’t forget Lappy was suspended last year for that shove on the Nichol guy from San Jose and got four games. Seeing how Campbell hates “fakers” if Lappy did sucker punch Powe, Campbell would probably give him a lifetime suspension, seeing that the Flyers seem to run the league.

39. Da Hema says:

Watching Gorges take that hit from Powe brought three things to mind:

(1) Gorges is one tough dude

(2) we are a hit like that away from having a serious crisis on defence, and

(3) screw good sportsmanship when it comes to the Flyers–I’ll organise a charity to pay the fine of any Hab that takes out Hartnell’s teeth.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

40. Mike Boone says:

No word on the injury yet. QH is not meant to be remotely comprehensive.

41. VancouverHab says:

Re. Price: counsel of perfection, Ian.

42. Scott in Montreal says:

Pronger: big douche in a small pond.

43. habsfanonthewestcoast says:

carey has surpassed jaro in every columns tonite

44. Malreg says:

“Sweep the knee!”

45. yukonhab says:

Troll!

Support your local indian – Price 31

46. Malreg says:

Pronger tried to steal the puck after the game, but Gionta and Gomez went over right away.  The camera didn’t show what happened, but by the time in panned over you just saw Gionta skating away with the puck from the corner where the Flyers were getting off the ice.  Gio handed the puck to Price.  Instead of keeping it, Price tossed it to a fan on his way off the ice.

47. scrowe21 says:

I was wondering about Halpern too. That was scary watching him fall back and smack his head on the ice with no helmet..he was out before he hit the ice. I wish Lappy had of just pulled an Avery and suckerpunched Powe.

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ian, agree completely on Carey presently being too relaxed playing the puck, yet Carey will be exceptional in-time with puck-handling and assisting His D getting the puck out of the zone and up-ice
    …disagree completely on Martin giving-up on Pouliot …Poulio’s occasional brain-farts does nothing to take away His overall ‘presence’ (size, speed and skill), badly needed to compensate for Our less robust

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

49. andrewberkshire says:

Powe was also the guy who hit Spacek from behind last year before the Olympics. I’m not surprised at all, he’s a dangerous player.

50. yukonhab says:

Good to see your still up Ian!

Great game!

Support your local indian – Price 31

51. MikeL says:

Darryl Powe had two dirty hits to the head (Gorges and Halpern) in that game. Hopefully the league looks into it.

I never noticed Powe to be a dirty player before, but I guess playing in Philly for a few years could even turn the nicest of players into dirtbags.

52. sholi2000.com says:

What was that all about?

They Call Me Shane

53. Traf27 says:

Not to take away from Carey’s great game and another good team win, but this game left me with a bad taste in my mouth. How Powe wasn’t thrown out of the game after a clear headhunting hit on Gorges boggles my mind and the fact he is then able to once again take a head shot on Halpern later just pissed me off. The saddest part is that I expect no action from Cambell. Colin’s ball (thats singular because the other one gave up and left a few years ago) could fit through the hole in a salt shaker and the decent players are paying for it cuz a**holes like Powe are allowed to run around doing what they please. On a closing not Peter Laviolette cemented his place amougst my most hated coaches with the way he couldn’t handle a loss after his team has been playing so well. It’s early season you’re team is obviously playing well, no need to make a game ugly because you can’t win it.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

54. sholi2000.com says:

Just watched the game on PVR, complete shut down of the Flyers.

Well coached game, and of course Carey played Well.

They Call Me Shane

55. SUMO says:

Thanks Boone for the QH but should maybe mention something abt Halpern’s injury. Is it a concussion?

Hes been a very effective penalty killer for us and his work on the PhD line has brought out the best in Darche and Pouliot. a very under-rated player. His loss should not go unnoticed. Marky and now Halpern…..

56. yukonhab says:

Eller Please!! AK needs some skill to make it happen. Feel sorry he has to play w Gomez! lol

Support your local indian – Price 31

57. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think Pouliot’s in trouble, he’s had some scoring so far this season, is engaging physically and playing more of a two-way game, I think he is JM’s project player to restore him to something of the 1st-round hot prospect he once was.

Price definitely has to speed up his puck choices, he usually makes one really bad choice with the puck each game and it hasn’t cost the Habs yet but I’m concerned it’s going to turn into a basic EN goal for the opposition. I’m sure Pierre Groulx the goal coach is working with him on it.

Great game though, wonderful to see the Habs skating together and playing for each other.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

58. forskis says:

I changed my avatar…it was only a matter of time before the re-doctoring occurred…hopefully the change worked.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

It was never in doubt ! again.!

Team
    defence is the way to championships. We are a very solid team boys and
    girls. Our speed and team play, carry the day again. We are having fun
    now, it has been years in the making.

But I have two things of
    concern. The first is Pouliot, he does not buy into Jacques game plans.
    When he took that late stupid penalty. I saw visions of OByrne’s last
    puck shot over the glass, and I knew he was done with Jacques, and that
    he had blown his last shot with the Habs. I saw the same look from the
    coach when he took that dumb penalty. He just might be gone.

One
    other point of concern is with the way Price handles the puck behind
    the net. He has to be much quicker in moving the puck to an open man.
    He is waiting far to long and it creates problems. He gave a very slow
    suicide pass to Georges that nearly caused a major injury.

Not
    being picky here, just saw a couple of things that need work is all. It
    was another great win and 2 more points. Best hockey in 20 years.

60. Mike says:

I think Moen would work better on that line… Or Eller… Let Eller adapt properly to NHL play without the pressure of being the focus of the line… Also it can allow the trend for the Habs to be very aggresive on the draw to  try to win more because even if gomez is throw out we still have the center in eller.

61. Ayan_SB says:

Pronger post-game interview.

Haha, he may be one of the NHL’s biggest trolls, but he’s pretty damn hilarious.

62. linp says:

Breaking up Gomez with Gionta has turned Gionta into a complete player. With Gomez, Gionta tends to shoot from all angles. With Plek, Gionta passes more and has more room to shoot.

Gomez and AK teams up OK. But Lapierre is not a top 6 forward.

63. yukonhab says:

Effort is everything! Too much to say about every element of the success their achieving right now…We even have a second line now!!

Support your local indian – Price 31

64. Castor says:

Laviolette is like the evil coach at the end of Karate Kid.