Quick hits

Move over, Russian Juniors, and make way for the Comeback Canadiens.

And who knew Eighth Place could feel this good.

For the fourth time in seven days, your Montreal Canadiens came back in a hockey game.

And for their third time, their effort earned a W – in this case, another conquest of their Northeast Division rivals.

That’s three wins against Boston this season.

Maybe “Bs” stands for the Canadiens’ bitches.

What a crazy hockey game.

Dead in the water for 40 minutes against the NHL’s statistically top-rated goaltender.

Then, with less than three minutes to go …

It had to be the most emotional – and improbably win – since the 6-5 Miracle against the Rangers three seasons ago.

That one ended up in the Canadiens Centennial DVD collection.

Tonight’s won’t.

For 57 minutes, it wasn’t a great hockey game … especially for Canadiens fans.

The Bruins wanted it more.

Then the Canadiens wanted it … and managed to take it.

I’m sitting in the pressbox watching the final two minutes of the Colts-Jets game with Arpon Basu.

In between Peyton Manning completions, my seatmate is raving about some things James Wisniewski told him about the Canadiens’ power play in OT.

Wisniewski and P.K. Subban kept exchanging the puck, back and forth without shooting., even though 4-on-3 creates acres of open ice.

Wiz explained that the Canadiens dominance of the third period, when they outshot the Bruins 18-8, had softened up the ice in the Boston end.

Because of that, the puckl was behaving erratically. It wouldn’t sit down flat, and neitehr Wiz nor P.K. was going to rocket one and take a chance on the puck being cleared.

Smart hockey, eh?

If only the team could play with that degree of concentration and intensity for 60 minutes.

“Certain players play that way,” Jacques Martin said, speaking of buzzer-to-buzzer effort. “Others are a drag on others. So we tried some combinations that brought the best.”

The Canadiens lost Mike Cammalleri after two shifts in the second period. He was ill, which a media wag described as “an inside body injury”.

Trailing 2-0 and down a scorer, Martin had to shuffle his lines. Andrei Kostitsyn got lost in the shuffle: four shift in the third period, none in the OT and not on the ice during the late power play that put the Canadiens on the board.

“Our young guys set the tone in the third period,” Jacques Martin said. The coach said chances to score were 7-3 in favour of Boston after two periods and ended up 13-11 Canadiens.

Simply put, Boston thought they had this won.

They let the Canadiens back into the game, and got bit in the butt for it.

“We started to be hungry,” Martin said. “We were first on the puck and played with more determination.”

More tomorrow.

•  •  •

RDS had technical problems.

Lost satellite signal, then shut down L’Antichambre after 10 minutes.

1. habs-hampton says:

ecause of RDS losing Anti-Chambre, I didn’t get to see Chantal!  Any pics?

2. topher5468 says:

Listen to Gomez’ post game comments,he was passing to Darce on his lucky goal and he openly admits to needing to shoot more, I never said he wasn’t a good teamate, but im not in love with him like you. he did a great job tying up Bergeron on his 2nd goal, that was awful,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

3. andrewberkshire says:

That’s actually not true, if the puck is knocked down with a high stick and put into the net by the team that didn’t touch the puck with a high stick, it’s still a goal. It happened to the Canadiens about 5 times last season.

4. JVF says:

Pleks, AK46 & SK74 — What a line that was!

SK74 is a gifted player and despite what most people seem to think, I believe he was the only one here who could light a fire under his brother’s large derrière.

5. Stooof says:

just throwing this out there.  sergei has 11 goals this year.  boyd.  0.  alas.  wasted youth.  he will be a star i figure but not here!  good luck sergei always liked your style!

6. VancouverHab says:

We have injuries.

Gomez shot — & scored. Gomez body-checked hard (see the highlight of the first Bruins goal). Gomez stood up the Zdeno Chara — punched him back, in fact.

What the Hell is wrong with you?

7. OneTimer says:

Best part of a Habs win? Not as many trolls/”anti-fans” for the next 48 hrs. “Gomez is overpaid!” “This team can’t score!” “This team’s too small!” “This team has no heart!” “PG/BG don’t know what they’re doing!” Did I miss any of the HI/O Greatest Hits? Makes me sick…

To the rest of you, cheers, and see you on Tuesday!

8. light_n_tasty says:

It doesn’t matter if it deflected off Thomas…it’s still no goal.  You can’t high stick a puck into the net, even if it deflects off someone else.

9. HabFarmer says:

When Gomez’s goal went in I started thinking “maybe, just maybe”, but really – totally improbable.  The whole Canada-Russia thing?  I wasn’t all that surprised really.  Russsia was one of those walking the tightrope teams this year, those are the ones you hate to face.  The ones that actually might believe they can actually do it.

Ohh well…..

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

10. yathehabsrule says:

Patrick V, Arpon Basu and M-A Godin on the Habs mid-season

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

11. avatar_58 says:

Between this and team canada – never give up on a hockey game.

12. HabFarmer says:

So I’m sitting on our bed with the wife and our two kids with like 5 minutes left and I say, “that’s it they’re toast”.  My wife says, “where’s your faith?”.  And then the most amazing thing happens.  That’s why I quit arguing with her, like years ago…….. .

13. avatar_58 says:

I wish they would find a way to fix his issues. You just know he’ll click on another team. I don’t want to watch that happen and see the player they get back have issues. Not again.

Then again Pouliot has been a good pickup. We might get lucky

14. Da Hema says:

You have successfully titillated me.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

15. avatar_58 says:

Ahahaha Gomez post game comments about Chara, go check it on the official site

16. avatar_58 says:

It WAS a goal. Time to put war rooms in every arena, not just the blind police in toronto

17. larisalapointe says:

Haha, yes my mind works in its unique way. But seriously, the point of my post was to watch the full game before losing hope.

Even though our team hasn’t exactly been like the comeback kids, it doesn’t mean they won’t be doing it more often.  And not sure they could not have beaten another team tonight; Tim Thomas is no slouch. They scored four goals tonight. (allowed or not)

18. Number31 says:

Thomas put it in his own net. Habs were hosed. War Room just wanted to screw them.

19. RJB says:

Battling through it, that pretty much sums up the game tonight. Boston came into our barn and played a fantastic road game for 57.3 minutes. Habs were not playing poorly, first period was a stalemate, second period they got burned by some unlucky bounces. But as they say, “That’s hockey”.

Tonight showcased how important Carey Price is to this team. People have been ragging on him lately but he stepped up against a division rival in the biggest game of the year so far. Carey was fantastic when he had to be. And full value to Tim Thomas, who played one heck of a game too.

It’s easy to say that the Habs didn’t deserve this game. But I disagree, in the end hockey always evens out. Some nights you get what you deserve, others you don’t. Habs have played way to many games this year where they deserved better, and tonight we were finally allowed to rope-a-dope one from the boys from Beantown.

This is the team we have, and when they are on, they are one hell of a team to play against. If I was the opposition, I would dread the Habs every time I saw them on the schedule.  Like it or not, we will live and die by Jacques Martin’s system. It isnt easy to accept, but it works. Theres a reason why our coach has so many W’s.

This is the kind of game that can change a season. The Habs can look at this game and hopefully reclaim some of their lost “swag”. It goes along way, especially when the faithful expect a long run this spring.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

20. larisalapointe says:

I know what you mean. But I’m liking and trusting PG. I don’t believe he will blow the future for quick fixes..

If Pouliot, Eller, Pacioretty, Subban and the other young guys keep improving and playing more dominant roles, then  maybe that is all our team needs for several years to come.

21. Jbird says:

Touche. Game, set, match.  Check Mate.

22. Castor says:

Can someone explain how Darche’s goal didn’t count. I understand that it was a high stick, but it looked to me that his high stick shot hit Thomas and then Thomas himself knocked it in.

23. scrowe21 says:

I would say so, since he sat quite a bit late in the game. I didn’t think he played all that bad, but he really could be playing a lot better. I wonder how soon he’ll be traded..PG said he doesn’t like waiting til the deadline.

24. Propwash says:

Everytime the Habs score, I wanna say ” Itteh Bitteh scoring comitteh” lol

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

25. Da Hema says:

Like you, I enjoy sustained foreplay. You must, however, have some provocative sexual desires to compare what we saw tonight to foreplay. A win is a win, but bear in mind who the Canadiens played tonight. Any other team, and we lose.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

26. avatar_58 says:

“Certain players play that way,” Jacques Martin said, speaking of
    buzzer-to-buzzer effort. “Others are a drag on others. So we tried some
    combinations that brought the best.”

Huh. Is that a dig at Ak46? “Certain players” huh.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

PK Subban TOI tonight: 26:27

Closest behind him? James Wisniewski with 22:45. Not bad for a guy whose confidence JM had completely obliterated a couple weeks ago.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. showey47 says:

I agree,every team has weaknesses,some more glaring then others. My concern is how far to do go with sacrificing picks or prospects to address ours? I would like to see more long term solutions instead of the bandaid type. I also agree about the foreplay 😉

29. avatar_58 says:

I missed the 3rd period 🙁 I rewatched the OT on RDS express, but damnit habs. You just had to choose this game to have an epic comeback?

Been watching highlights and videos, wow. Subban and Wiz looking like superstars in OT. Also good on Gill for not taking Big Whiney Baby Chara’s crap.

30. bigdave says:

At least the itty bitty Habs didn’t pick on a Boston tough-guy like Krejci!

The “dirty little team” took on poor defenseless Chara!

BOO HOO!

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

31. bigdave says:

FINALLY! someone other than the Canadiens gets burned by late period goals!

Longtime coming!

32. scrowe21 says:

Trade AK for SK…

Lol but seriously though, St.Louis Blues owes us after trading Halak for basically one rookie.(Schultz was a throw in, looked good in pre season, terrible in the AHL) .. I want Backes or Perron for a AK + someone else or a pick

33. larisalapointe says:

I think even the most positive fan knows this team has weaknesses as do all the other 29 other teams. Difference is it is preferable to wait until the last buzzer goes off and the outcome of the game is known before all the bashing.

And without the 56 minute suck fest, this game wouldn’t have been nearly as exciting. Much like foreplay.

34. Propwash says:

The sad thing is, the same is happening here.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

35. sidhu says:

Benny has come alive.

I agree with others’ call to trade AK46.  Instead of Setoguchi, I’d go after David Clarkson — he has grit and can bring energy, and can sit in front of the net.  I’d like to see Pyatt make way for White or Eller.

36. Exit716 says:

It’s an Associate Press story. I already checked. But the comments section is hilarious. Most want Julien fired.

37. Komihater says:

Let’s what the boston herald has to say this time  🙂

38. topher5468 says:

I love all these guys who think their gods gift because they say they were able to remain a bit more optomistic through a 56 minute suck fest. This team has serious issues and they’re not going away. It was a great comeback and yes I had my doubts but whats the reason they were skating zombies for 2 plus periods, Boston has some injuries so thats not a valid excuse. For a team with a lot of heart, there are some not carrying their weight. That needs to be addressed, along with adding size and toughness to help handle Thorton and guys like that, Moen can’t do it by himself. Cammy needs to step it up and someone please tell Gomez he is allowed to shot the puck at the goal, that is allowed even though you like to pass.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

39. larisalapointe says:

Why can’t L’antichambre break down when PJ Stock is on?

The Bruins are sore losers even though Max started it…hehe.

What an exciting game. The thrill of victory, and at least until the next game, JM’s job is safe and Price doesn’t suck.

40. yukonhab says:

Best Habs Comeback of the Year! lol

Good to see some heart…

Still need some effort on a 60 minute consistent basis.

Oh where art thou my Habs?

Support your local indian – Price 31