Quick Hits

AUDIO: P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Brian Gionta

“it’s what they do,” Brian Gionta said.

The Canadiens captain knows his former team well.

The New Jersey Devils contest every inch of the ice. They clog the neutral zone. They collapse back to minimize scoring chances on their goaltender.

Spot them a 2-0 lead and it’s a very steep uphill battle.

I’ll have more later on, after thinking about it during play stoppages in the football game.

Just don’t let’s freak out.

The Canadiens took six of a possible eight points, through two gruelling sets of back-to-back games.

They’re in Boston on Wednesday for a HUGE four-pointer.

1. smiler2729 says:

F the Devils, they’re everything that is wrong with hockey…zzzzzzzzzzz. 3rd game in 4 nights, blah blah blah…

2. habsfan0 says:

Is it just me, or was the highlight of the Super Bore watching Cameron Diaz feed Alex Rodriguez popcorn?

3. mrhabby says:

way to go PACKERS….yup.

hey mike boone..whats up.

4. punkster says:

🙂

***Subbang!!!***

5. Adam says:

Not a huge football fan, though I do watch a game when I can. Had to miss the Super Bowl, as a computer malfunction last night knocked out about 12 hours of work that I needed to have done by today.

That being said, can somebody explain how anybody could cheer for Ben Roethlisberger under any circumstances?

6. The Toronto Maple Queafs says:

Although it’s true that the Habs have trouble scoring, their strong defensive play (and goaltending) usually helps them win games.  Unfortunately, the Habs fell behind early and they were up against a team that also plays a very strong defensive game.  We lost.  Big deal.  We’re going to lose a few more before the season ends.  Many good teams will.

7. Cool Ice Price says:

Very true. But when Price has an off night the team needs to score to bail him out though. The Habs have done that few times this season.

8. Cool Ice Price says:

WAY TO GO PACKERS WAY TO GO !!! WOO WOO WOO

Steelers fans singing “Theres a tear in my beer”

9. showey47 says:

Sucks to lose but on the bright side we only have 3 regulation losses since dec.31st. A couple of early blunders in our own end and a bunch of golden scoring chances blown on our part was the difference in the end.

10. Robert L says:

Not a big NFL follower, but I’ve always liked both the Steelers and Packers. My thoughts go out to Boone right now. I wanted Steelers to win just for him.

11. sidhu says:

Boone, it’s been a bad day for you — the Habs lost, the Steelers lost, and Chantal and I got engaged during halftime.

12. punkster says:

I wonder. Do you think Timo is a Packers fan?

***Subbang!!!***

13. Coach K says:

Not a bad game really.  This is what I saw…

• A Habs team that was flat for the first 10 minutes-but also a team that just played a hard won game less than 24 hours before.  So in fairness not a totally unexpected outcome.
    • A team that once awake, contested every puck but couldn’t get the puck to bounce thier way.  Again, sometimes you get the breaks other times not so much.  Probably evens out over the course of a season.
    • The youth on the team played well under relentless pressure – Price included.  The vets, not so much and looked really flat in their own end.  It was a game with playoff intensity at certain points.
    • I also noticed that the Habs choice of shot selection on dump ins left a lot to be desired.  Hard rim arounds with les boys overloading the side where the puck should be coming around were consistently overloaded by the Devils instead.  Essentially a turnover in the O-zone.  When that happens you have to change your approach if you want to come up with the puck.  Our guys-coaches included, didn’t adjust until the 3rd period.
    • Obstruction hockey is back.  I saw a Devils team that was permitted subtle hooks, picks and a lot of quick but effective holds as the Montreal players attempted to move with the puck through the neutral zone.  These tactics made it easy for the Devils to get to get away with it and get to the puck first on any dump in.
    • The root-cause of the obstruction was poor positional play (couldn’t see the foul) or just plain laziness of the officiating team.  Unacceptable by any standard.

I’m sure the coaches will watch video of this game to learn how to counter this next time so no real need to worry.  That said, if I were the coaches or GM, I’d be screaming about the quality of the reffing and asking why Jersey is still allowed to get away with that obstruction crap.

No matter what, if I’m coaching I tell them file it away as a learning experience and look forward.

14. JIMVINNY says:

So will we hear from Boone before Wednesday?  Or is this a 24-hour-mourning-period type of situation?

15. darcy1 says:

don’t get me wrong, I don’t think anyone should cheer for him either… but it’s the same way we’d cheer for Price 9 months after he had a publized sexual encounter with a 19 year old… the victim never co-operated with authorities, so Roethlisberger was never charged with anything, and nothing was ever proven one way or another.

——————-
    ”If you’ve only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It’ll seem like forever. ” Pat Foley (Blackhawks broadcaster)

16. pedro says:

I feel sorry for Eller having to play with 2 cheats Gomez and kostitsyn This is not a good way to teach a young player how to be a team player.