Quartet skip practice in Brossard

According to RDS, four players were missing from Friday’s Canadiens practice in Brossard.

They were defencemen Josh Gorges, Hal Gill and Paul Mara, as well as forward Dominic Moore. Gorges, Gill and Moore took therapy days, whil Mara continues to recover from shoulder surgery.

Andrei Markov took part in the workout, partnered with Ryan O’Byrne. After practice, head coach Jacques Martin could not say whether or not Markov would be ready for the next series. But he did say that should he return, he would likely have some limitations. Martin added the decision on whether or not Markov will be play will be based on how the injured defenceman feels.

1. K-hab25 says:

“Hockey is a game played at night”, huh? You mean you prefer watching it at night. Just like the NBA, the NHL plays it’s games games at night, except the occasional early start weekend game, after football season or they’d be massacred in the ratings.I’d say the NBA is doing quite well with this formula so why is Bettman an idiot for doing the same. Scheduling wise the NBA and NHL are essentially the same. Both have 82 games, during basically the same months at essentially the same start times, 7 and 10 eastern. Both also put early games on the weekend, both during the season aswell as the playoffs. It’s nothing new. Like I said before, almost every game all year has started at 4 o’clock in the west and that includes Canada. So I really don’t see how this is a Canada vs US issue you’re making it out to be, east vs west maybe. Think of it like this, now you have more time to party after the game. :-)

2. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know, it seems to me like our doctors have been pretty damn AWESOME this season. No tot be mean, but what exactly do you do for a living Dr. Sloncold? I gotta say the teams docs probably know slightly better than I do the condition of Markov…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

3. JF says:

You’ve reversed it.  Wednesday if it’s Boston, Tuesday if it’s Philly.  If it’s Boston, most of our games are on alternate days from the western final; if it’s Philly, the early ones are on the same day, which sucks.

4. joeybarrie says:

HA HA HA HA HA AH, I have NEVER laughed so hard. Remind me the Brilliant GM that gave KOMISAREK 4.5 million???  I mean the only thing that Burkie has done, is make it so he can’t afford anyone on offence under the cap. But hey if your defense is so good, you probably wont end up in LAST place again. Maybe 13th…

Halak needs ONLY a small raise as he is a RFA. And You know all about trading away draft picks for RFA’s. In fact your helping Boston out this year with a 1st rounder in the top 5…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

5. SLONCOLD says:

rule of thumb… no ACL = no hockey

6. pmaraw says:

try 50-100 year plan.

7. joeybarrie says:

Deja vu………..

When did I first hear this?  Oh yeah about a month ago when we were winning game 1 vs the Caps.

Then I heard Game 5 and its over. There will be no Game 6…  Um im sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. The Pens are a much more rounded team than the Caps. They will take care of us…

HMMMMMMM, wrong again…

Now what? Can you repeat that again?

I can only say this. Our 5’7 (and a half) Gio and 5’9 (and a half) Cammi are outscoring Boston’s and (most of) Philly’s big tough players. And it was against the Presidents Cup Champs AND the Defending Stanley Cup Champs. We are the ones who sent home Crosby and Ovie…

Let me tell you about how our 24 Stanley Cups have given us wisdom. It involves Komisarek, Grabovski and common sense… But the again we can’t all miss out on the playoffs 5 years in a row… Gainey had a FIVE year plan, I guess yours is more of a 10-15 year plan???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. JF says:

Good post.  I think this round will be tougher than either of the last two, whichever team we face.  Both play the physical, grinding kind of hockey that our guys find tough to handle.  Boston made it very difficult for us two years ago playing that kind of hockey, and Philly had no trouble with us.  Like you, I favour the Bruins as an opponent, more because of their injuries than for any other reason.  They’re missing key parts of their offence, and, after scoring a lot of goals in the first round and the first few games of this one, are finding it almost impossible to score (one goal in the last two games, and that with Rask pulled).  Philly, on the other hand, is going well offensively, with guys like Brière and Gagné scoring regularly and others chipping in as well.  I’m not sure that Philly’s defence is better than Boston’s.  They’re missing Dennis Seidenberg, and the times we played them during the regular season, it seemed quite possible for our guys to get behind their D.

The unknown factor is Leighton.  The Flyers may have picked him up off the scrapheap, so to speak, but he played very well for them until his injury and since then has allowed one goal.  If he can keep it up, there won’t be much to choose between the two teams from the goaltending point of view.  What seems certain is that both the Bruins and Flyers have better goaltending than either Washington or Pittsburgh (except that with Boucher out, the Flyers don’t really have a backup).

9. pmaraw says:

lol, jokes on you, you got burke as a gm giving hand outs to boston, you lost 2 1st rounders for kessel, when he couldve signed an offer sheet and you’d've lost a 1st 2nd and 3rd.  Feel free to get on our bandwagon tho, if you care to cheer for a canadian team to win the cup, its not gonna be toronto.

10. adam76 says:

I’m with you.  The Habs made it to the CONFERENCE FINALS and all people are doing is complaining about afternoon games.  Its a three hour difference to get an extra million people to watch.  Who cares?

The fact that Joey makes its sound like Bettmen is choosing this, and that he is doing it to crap on Canada and the purity of the game is just a joke.

Memorial cup is in the afternoon – so anti Canadian.

11. coachdoug says:

Mike…I totally agree…but you know this is part of the deal with NBC and the NHL…

There should be no Sunday games period and they would not have to worry about the afternoon thing…NBC will not bump primetime shows for hockey because it is not a big sport “proportionally” down here in the states…

This is the Bettman “world”…courting Networks that really don’t care…Verses should have got the whole deal and then it would be Sunday night…screw NBC I say…

“The ‘System’ will not stop until it owns Lord Stanley’s Cup…All hail the System!”

12. 11habs11 says:

well said…i wasn’t sure on who we should face, but u sold me on the bruins

Habs-Hawks Cup Final

13. adam76 says:

any proof of that?

14. pmaraw says:

if anything this makes the fans who find out where said team is staying at more effective at keeping them up all night and tired for the game the next day…  if anyone really does this ;)

15. adam76 says:

IF either one of you have achieved any level of post secondary education – please print off this thread and take it to said institution,  I guarantee after they read your posts, you will get a full refund.

16. Drive_For_25 says:

Go Spits!!

17. mike g says:

Hockey is a sport played at night.

Every single NHL game is played at night, weekend or weekday. Afternoon games are a joke. It screws up the routines for players, it’s bad for businesses, it’s just a mess.

Football was always at 1 oclock, no reason to change it. Hockey was always at night, NBC of all networks shouldn’t change that. We here in MTL and Canada love hockey at night. We make a whole day of it. We party all night when they win, etc…

It just really sucks having an afternoon game, especially in the Conference Finals.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

18. adam76 says:

Can’t wait for those afternoon games!!!!  PUMPED!!!

19. joeybarrie says:

First off Nuna, try to remember your the biggest reason for writting a post like mine. You bashed Price, Gainey, and every smurf on the team. So to be honest I don’t see how you have ANYTHING to say right now. Besides. When it comes to Kovalev. Try to remember we offered him a contract, and HE said no, he wants more. Well Bob went in a different direction, and rightly so.

The only mystery here is in regards to the people who actually think Gainey told his coach who to play. Carey Price IS god’s gift to goaltending. He WILL be awesome. He is better than most NOW, and he is only 22. PROBLEM IS Halak is damn good too…

Bob assembled a reasonable team???

These comments are why no one listens to anything you say… I honestly think you might be a whole season behind the rest of us. Do you know we are in the Conf. Finals???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

20. Big Ted says:

Not a MAB an, but he’s been okay the last two games. I think Markov on one knee will be like MAB on two, a guy who can’t skate that well and won’t be able to do much physically or defensively but who might be able to help on the PP. At least playing MAB, we don’t have to worry about him worsening an injury or about losiong a guy mid-game for something known. So unless Markov can outplay MAB (and outplay OB for that matter), there’s really no point in having him in. I Markov can tolerate the pain and perform better than what we have AND have a low chance of worsening his injury, that’s the only time he should be inserted back into the lineup.

21. HFX-HabFan says:

With all your high draft picks, you should have a dynasty on your hands.

Wait a minute…whoops.

22. Big Ted says:

Sunday Timo. game 2 goes Tuesday if it’s Boston and Wednesday if it’s Philly then every 2nd day thereafter with the only afternoon game or Game 4 next weekend. Go to NHL.com for the details.

23. K-hab25 says:

I know you canadians lead such busy lifes and all, but really this is the conference finals. You can take your little walks in the sun during the offseason. What time do NFL games start or for you guys CFL games. They start at 1:00 eastern time, 10:00 in the west where I live. It’s by far the biggest sport in North America and yet they start games at 1:00/10:00 o’clock. It’s not a weekday, it’s the weekend. So if you would rather go to the store or to the beach or where ever instead of watching the Habs in the conference finals for the first time in 17 years and it could be another 17 before happens again, well go ahead. For me it could start at 3 in the morning and I’d be watching. You guys find the dumbest things regarding Bettman to complain about, when there’s so many bigger issues to dislike him for. I mean really a 3 o’clock start time, almost every game starts at 4 o’clock here, let alone the fans around the world that are watching games at all hours of the day and night and you guys are Crosbying over a 3 o’clock weekend start time.

24. Big Ted says:

During the first two rounds, I was one of the people trying to convince everyone else the Habs had a decent chance o winning both series. None of the experts picked us. I am fairly sure at least half the media will make us their pick to win round 3 though, but as JM said, each round is tougher. The Bruins have fought like us all year long through injuries and setbacks and are riding a hot young goalie (sound familiar?). The Flyers have gagne back and would be coming in on a 4-game win streak. Both are big physical teams, and neither will be a pushover. I think the Habs have a greta chance against either one if they maintain their work ethic and energy, but it’s going to be a rough series, and I think some folks (not necessarily posters here) are jumping on the bandwagon and thinking this round will have to be easier than the last two because the opponent is lower-ranked. If the lower-ranked opponents were always easier to play, we’d already be out, so it’s not true. It’s about who wants it most and how well the teams are playing right now, and Boston and Philly look like they’re both playing with more heart than Pittsburgh and are better coached than Washington.

So who do we want to play? Boston has the edge in nets, not onyl as a starter but also as a backup in case the starter gets knocked out, but Thomas is still over-rated and the Habs have the better goalie(s) in either case. The edge on D goes to Phi. Chara is the biggest threat on either team, but the Philly D is deeper and features not just a Chris Pronger but guys like Coburn, Parent, and Timmonen. Up front, both teams have been enigmatic, but right now, facing Richards, Gagne, Briere, Giroux, and Hartnell scares me more than facing Savard, Recchi, Bergeron, and the Bruins. Injury-wise the Flyers are without Carter and Laperriere but the Bruins are really missing Krecji and already lost Sturm. So the short story is that it’s a toss-up. I think we match-up better against the Bruins though, for one reason. To win, we’re going to have to hope Halak and our D shut down whichever offence is thrown our way. But looking at the B’s roster, I think that’s a D that can be taken advantage of with our guys speed and the way they’ve been getting on pucks in the corner. It doesn’t have the depth and would hopefully be worn down after a tough Phi series. If we get on the D and wear them out, we can get rebounds and traffic towards the net and Rask alone won’t be able to stop that. If we play the Bruins, we also get the first two games Sun-Tue instead of Sun-Wed, so we take a bit more advantage of their fatigue. Either way, we have a chance to do something special, but let’s remind ourselves that nothing is a given and that we will have to earn every win in the next series.

25. coachdoug says:

What country are you from?  We don’t do sh#t down here in the good ole USA…glad somebody is working hard on Sundays…keep up the hard work…

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Nothing like bending over backwards for a TV network that gets the NHL games for free…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. Mad Habber says:

LOL What did you say? About making draft position worse? I’d like to hear your expertise on that one Mr. Burke….

28. mike g says:

I seriously can’t take Gary anymore….

fruckin douchebag that he is….

If I was the guy in charge of booking the Habs games at the Bell Center, I would have told Gary to shove it up his you know what. “Sorry Gary, were playing at 7 pm, Saturday OR Sunday. RDS and CBC will be here. If you and the Nothing But COCKroach network can’t make it, sorry. “

WTF, Habs Conference Finals in the Afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!

F-U Bettman.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. SLONCOLD says:

team 990 reported it

30. dh says:

Really.  For us, when the Habs win it will be a hat trick.  Impact, Alouettes and Habs all win.  And I’m from New Orleans so I get 4 cups.

31. Say Ash says:

Voulez-vous blogger avec moi, ce coir?

32. sholi2000.com says:

If anyone is watching the Memorial Cup tonight, I will be sitting two sections to the left of the visitors bench (Windsor), three rows up, seats one and two.  I’ll have my little boy with me and I’ll be wearing my Canadiens Colors!  Every Game!!!!!!!

They Call Me Shane

33. Brian Burke says:

All Montreal has done is made Plekanec and Halak unaffordable under the cap, and made their drafting position worse.

…truculence

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Harvard > Maple Loaf Syndrome.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. dallyd31 says:

Loser.  How pathetic.

These must be the same midgets that were going to be swept by cup favourite Washington and defending champs Pittsburgh.  How about the midget that leads the league in playoff goals…..this is the same midget by the way, the the TORONTO STAR ran an article about today, about how much heart, talent and grit he has.

Get a life.  I can’t image my life being so sad that the most fun I can have is to mope, sulk and try and get a high out of trolling on other, successful, teams sites.  Pathetic.

Go tell Burkie to mis-manage another team into near last in the NHL and into the relegation round at the World’s.

36. FSUPhi1584 says:

According to another website he’s up to 223 lbs

37. The Cat says:

Dominic Moore does, hes been absolutely great!

38. kempie says:

Aye yie yie. That is high-sterical!

39. SeriousFan09 says:

What setback? That wasn’t in the Gazette report or on Stubb’s Twitter.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Brian Burke says:

The Habs will never win the cup with all those midgets. The only reason they’ve made it this far is because Washington and Pittsburgh choked.

…truculence

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Get ****ed you ill-mannered dwarf, want to know where you can put your sunbelt strategy?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. The Cat says:

It must be wicked hard for him -and others who are injured- to not participate.

43. davelecave says:

This is not Major League Baseball, people in this country have things to do during the day.

Papa Gionta!

44. lavie says:

From what I heard, he’s done for the playoff.

45. SLONCOLD says:

i can tell what exactly happened in regards to his “set back”… he tried to pivot and his tibia (shin bone) poped in and out… this proabbly cut up his meniscus a bit causing some serious swelling and pain…

46. coachdoug says:

Could not agree more and it would be a huge compliment to the organization to have him do it…who would turn down a chance to coach in the big time no matter what the team…

On Martin I am not sure what the thinking was…I have been neutral on JM but I have to admit he is getting it done and he closed down the “country club” that was happening under Carbo…I don’t think at JM’s age he puts up with a lot of b#llshit which is just what this team needed…

47. mike g says:

Soooooo…Guess what?!!!

NHL just released the schedule for the Habs.

Great news, if we play Boston, game 4 in MTL is at 3 pm next sunday; NBC!

Great news, if we play Philly, game 4 in MTL is at 3 pm next saturday; NBC!

WTF Bettman, ….WTF.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

48. avatar_58 says:

That’s how I see it. Do we REALLY need another half-injured D? Save up Marky.

But you have to respect his drive. He came back early already and he’s not willing to lie down.

49. SLONCOLD says:

Soooo, markov had a set back today in practise? why is he practising again…. oh ya beacuse our genius doctors think playing hockey without an ACL is a smart idea….

Markov please go heal yourself and hit the gym for physio. no need to risk your health, get better for next year.

50. avatar_58 says:

To be fair Kirk deserves a head coach job. If the habs weren’t grooming him (which I assumed they were) then he has every right to leave for a better oppurtunity. Once again – why the hell did we sign Martin long term? 1-2 years MAX then go with Kirk or Boucher (or both, one as asst)

Instead we’re going to see a lot of Martin’s system. Here’s hoping this year isn’t a fluke, no?

51. nunacanadien says:

Correction on one thing with JoeyBarrie, cause I too question the terrible management decision not to pick up the telephone to hear Alex Kovalev say yes or no…..but the correction is, yes Bob Gainey (crazy bob) did manage to assemble a reasonable team that finished first one year, then fell apart the next year cause Gainey thought Price was God’s Gift to Goal Tending, the next Dryden.  It’s no mystery regarding how Halak was not allowed to finish the season he had saved when things fell apart under Gainey and Price.  It’s also no mystery how Gainey tried to get Price to start this year but it was clear that Halak deserved the position, probably because Montreal actually has a real goalie coach now, who saw Halak’s skill.

52. Jordio-oh says:

hahahaha, i truly enoyed that.

53. 11habs11 says:

not a bad idea, that just might work

54. coachdoug says:

Nice Friedman article on Captain Kirk…

Can’t believe Friedman is “pimping” our boy Kirk out to other teams…

55. habsperspective says:

I want them to play Boston, because that means theres 2 games to go to in Montreal that fall on the long weekend.  Schedule is different based on which opponent.

56. mike g says:

Oh btw…..

What a summer this is for a Leafs fan, eh?………Habs in the Conference Finals (Yeah!!!!!), and their #2 overall pick of Hall or Seguin is going to the Bruins…..

Add that to the fact that the Argos, Raptors, and Jays suck; MAN, WHAT A SUMMER!!!!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Bouillon was a hothead whose fighting in the crease helped push pucks into our net, perfected the blind pass to the opposing team in his own zone and rarely took the ‘good penalty’. Souray’s a defensive liability and injury-prone, he was about -50 in his two 20-goal seasons with Montreal, that’s worth over 5 million a year? Not really. Ryder is a 1-dimensional player who will either go 15 or 30 goals in a season but you won’t know which you get until the end of the year. Ribiero was a head case and D’Agostini never did anything when Saku Koivu wasn’t there to set him up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

58. coachdoug says:

As long as Yemelin isn’t another enigma…we currently have two Belarusian’s who are filling out that roll pretty well…

59. mike g says:

Hahahaha…

You know what, I don’t feel bad for Leaf fans. Not because I think they’re bad people or anything. It’s just because I feel even worse for their players. The guys who wear the Leafs jerseys, poor them….

-White, Hagman, Stajan, etc…: Traded to Calgary in hopes of making the playoffs….CIAO, no playoffs for you.

-Ponikarovski: Traded to PIT to play with Malkin, and defend the Cup. LMAO, CIAO….played like a douchebag (hard to do when you play with a player like Malkin, but hey he’s a former Leaf), and got beat by the Habs.

-Sundin: Signed with the Canucks, CIAO no Cup for you. But hey, blame it on Luongo, right?

-Jason Blake: Let’s go Anaheim, late push for the playo………Opps, they also missed it!

Listen, don’t be jelous. You guys won’t reach the Conference Finals for another while. And that’s not to brag about us, it’s just to point out how hard it is to make it there. 4 teams make it there every year, were one of them. And we took out the 2 top teams and players in our conference to do it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

60. coachdoug says:

Laffs Hockey = Stunkulence year after year

Latest Rumor…Yotes are coming to Ontario so they will have a professional hockey team that can compete with the Habs

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs Prospects has him listed at 223 pounds or 101 kilos, 6’1″, the same height as Volchenkov but 12 pounds lighter. Those are from his official KHL numbers btw.

Hockey’s Future numbers are from he was a skinny 18-year old who probably just hit 6′ and wasn’t even finished growing yet.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. Storm Man says:

So you meet a girl and watch the games at her place.

63. Danno says:

Too much truculence leads inevitably to suckulence

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

64. lavie says:

Go, go, go (go, go, go)
    Ale, ale, ale (ale, ale, ale)
    Go (go), go (go)
    Go (go), go (go)
    Here we go (yeah)

…………

Remeber this song?

In Bell Centre, fans rather chant Alé Alé Alé  (Allez Allez Allez)

65. avatar_58 says:

Boullion, Souray, Ryder, Ribiero and D’Agostini are hardly heartless or useless.