Qualifying offers heat up contract talks

RDS reports that the Canadiens have made qualifying offers to 10 restricted free agents, most notably goalie Carey Price and forwards Maxim Lapierre, Tom Pyatt and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Benoit Pouliot, the team’s other RFA, has not yet received an offer. The Canadiens have until next Monday to do so, if that’s in fact what they choose to do.

Pierre Gauthier on Pouliot, quoted by Marc-Antoine Godin on Twitter: “The evaluation is not finished. A qualifying
offer should come before Monday.”

Others to receive offers: farmhands Mathieu Carle, David Desharnais, Cédrick Desjardins, Brock
Trotter, Ryan Russell and James Wyman.

A few notes from our friends at CKAC:

• Price: earned $850,000 last season, the final year of his entry-level contract.
• Lapierre: earned $800,000 and had a good playoffs after a lacklustre season.
• Pyatt: earned $685,000, second-low on the team to SK74.
• Kostitsyn: earned $585,000, spent quality time with Hamilton or in Jacques Martin’s doghouse.

The Canadiens have four UFAs who next Thursday could be shopping their services anywhere they wish: Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Marc-André Bergeron and Paul Mara.

We all hope that’s the case with Carey. Given that attitude my patience allows for more in terms of accepting his learning curve. It’s all about attitude. He’s shown to have taken ownership and responsibility. He did it when he came back in shape versus losing it two summers ago. I was hoping last season’s start he’d have come back mentally hungrier. Hopefully he can shed the Melanson advice to play deep in the nets and go back to, as Bill J describes it, his hybrid style and aggressive challenging the shooter play. His mental toughness should benefit from it if it leads to success in his play.

2. andrewberkshire says:

The difference between Markov’s injuries and Lecavalier’s is that Lecavalier’s shoulders have gone under surgery 4-5 times in the last 3 years and he’s constantly suffering shoulder injuries. Markov has had a knee injury off an awkward landing, a freak laceration of a tendon, and an acl tear off an awkward landing.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Lecavalier’s contract term and length is the major issue, even if Gomez is a problem for us, he’s out in 4 more years, we wouldn’t be able to drop Lecavalier for close to 10 years and there’s no guarantee he’s going to start putting up over 80 points again, he’s only done that twice in his career and both years were with Martin St. Louis as his winger and Marty is coming up on 35.

Markov’s beat his own single-season totals for four consecutive seasons before this year under a revolving door of coachs and getting a new PP partner almost every year and even this year he came back to post 34 points in 45 GP. Lecavalier has 1 90-point and one 100-point season so far in his career and then had his numbers drop like a stone. Presently, I don’t see how he’s worth giving up major assets and absorbing a massive contract we’d never be able to lose, especially once the calender ticked off his 35th birthday.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. Adam says:

That’s because Price has said the right things and worked hard even when he wasn’t playing. Every report said he was the first on the ice and the last off during practices. I also read a recent interview, not sure who did it, where Price said something to the effect that after Markov confronted him last year, he grew up a lot pretty much on the spot. As I recall the exact quote was “That’s when everything clicked.” Sergei, on the other hand, blew off practices. Remember that incident involving him and Price during the playoffs?

I admire players (and people in general) who can admit their faults and try to improve on them. I think it takes a lot of guts. I don’t see that at all in Sergei. It kills me to see somebody waste natural talent: it shows a lack of appreciation for a very, very fortunate position, and a total lack of character. This applies to every facet of life, not just hockey.

It’ll be a three rink circus. Tampa Bay in one, St. Louis in the other and in the centre JM and Price.

6. Adam says:

It’s not the coaches job to make sure his players appreciate that they have a job that they are getting paid extremely well to do. I’d expect my boss to be on my ass if I was dogging it like he was. And even if he didn’t deserve it, what do you do if your boss hates you? You got HR, you look for another job, but you constantly attempt to keep your value as an employee up, if only to impress future employers with your dedication. The guy acts like a child, not a professional. No work place in the world values pure talent without dedication. It’s no different in sports.

7. habs001 says:

ak74 rarely beats someone one on one…he does not look like he is a goal scorer…he is a passer but we have gomez and plecks on the 2 top lines…our 3rd may have eller….sk74 on the fourth line or even the third will be with forwards that have trouble scoring into a soccer net…he does not fit in with the make up of this team

8. ed lopaz says:

SF’09 – injuries are injuries – whether they happen to lecavalier or markov, are they not?

I would have taken Vinny for Price last summer.

We would be paying Vinny 7.7 instead of Gomez 7.3

If you take out the injuries – as you do for Markov – Vinny becomes one of the most dominant centres in the game, at 6’4 and 225 lbs no less.

And with Boucher behind the bench – Vinny’s recomendation by the way – I would like to see what he’s capable of producing.

Its easy to bash guys when they’re playing hurt. (still managed 70 points last year, and a hell of a tougher player than Plekanec will ever be)

You don’t like it when we take on Markov, maybe we should keep the same logic for all.

9. Rugger says:

True, but that was just before the Bolshies got the rest of them

10. camel_larry says:

Like Pyatt?

11. punkster says:

Ahh, but one managed to shoot Rasputin too.

FREE TIMO!

12. SmartDog says:

Really?  I guess I haven’t…. or maybe I did, my ear isn’t that good – I’m not fluent.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

13. soperman says:

I sure hope that you know your poop this time, SD!

They traded Halak.  Jaroslav Halak.  YOU ARE KIDDING ME?

14. Rugger says:

I thought all the spoiled Russian Princes were shot in 1917?

Have you heard any of his French interviews? He makes JM sound like a Parisian!!

16. Adam says:

For Christ’s sake, this has been established: trading Halak was not a judgement on him. It was necessary to sign Pleks. Apparently, some people around here wanted to go into next year with Ben Maxwell as our second line center.

17. shootdapuck says:

Alfred Ontario not Hawksbury Quebec!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

18. Rugger says:

And Montreal gets older and spends more money.

19. camel_larry says:

He will only reach his potential (which yes, is high) if he stops acting like a spoiled, 5 year old, russian prince.

20. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

No worries, that’s how I took it. I was just adding on before anyone came with “Carle before POULIOT?”

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Lecavalier has one of the worst contracts in the NHL, dealing with 7.7 per year for the next decade is an absolute cap nightmare especially with Lecavalier’s injuries hampering his production.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. thorandresson says:

Too early to be jumping to conclusions, just cause Sergei got a qualifying offer doesn’t necessarily mean they’re planning on keeping him.  It’s actually very likely  he’ll be gone, they just want to get something for him.

As for  Pouliot, I doubt they’d let him become a UFA, let’s just wait and see how all of this plays out.  I’m expecting some interesting moves tomorrow.

Like it or not, it’s obvious that Gauthier has a plan in place, and so far it’s been moving along sooner than at least I expected.

23. Anonymous says:

Maybe you should focus on whats going on in st. louis.

24. SmartDog says:

zactly…. hometown in terms of culture if not lines on a map.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

25. Favorite Son says:

Who cares, I think we’ll survive. I rather we spend that money on a decent backup/possible replacement for Price if he sucks next season (Biron).

26. SmartDog says:

Grabovski but without the speed.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

27. halak07 says:

Montreal should trade Gomez and Gionta to Tampa Bay for Lecavalier and St-Louis.Tampa saves money and they get younger and Gauthier gives montreal two local players.

28. AH says:

Good point Krob..forgot about those messes. I’m just tired of seeing us get smacked around by the bully teams IE Philly, NYR, and now the Leafs with that jerk captain Phanuef of theirs.

29. GrimJim says:

Too true. Somebody has to play for the Bulldogs… and be ready for injury call-ups.

I was more just passing news along rather than inferring anything

30. Anonymous says:

It’s hard to have a good work ethic when your coach is an asshole to you from day one

31. HabFanSince72 says:

That had ended.

32. Adam says:

As I recall, they’ve tried Pleks with the Kosts a few times over the past 2 years, and it never really clicked. Add to that fact that the kid is a little shmuck with a bad work ethic, and I don’t see him doing anything other than heading to the KHL. He’s basically Grabovski at this point.

33. HabFanSince72 says:

Absolutely not.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

And not one of those troublemakers or bums has done anything of note since they left.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Hawkesbury isn’t it? Close enough.

36. krob1000 says:

Unfortuntaely he had it in for our goalies though …he was jsut as though on them…I would be shocked if there were less than 8 goals last year where Mara was not directly interfering with our own keepers.

37. AH says:

I would. I seem to remember he wasn’t afaird to throw his body around, and he didn’t hesitate to drop his gloves to stick up for his teammates; that’s worth something to me. The tough hockey is played in the playoffs, and we could have used those parts of his game during that mauling we took in the conference final.

38. Anonymous says:

I was unaware that Gauthier was done, maybe you should wait. I don’t need to extol the virtues of Gauthier but he has done more good in his career than bad. With Halak we lose out on scoring, we don’t need more of that, we finished in 25th last year. Plekanec too much money, don’t think so, if you have read any other posts here from our levelheaded posters you would know that too. Try again.

39. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I’m sure that offers for the rest of the RFAs aren’t far behind (Pouliot, Trotter, Desharnais, Desjardins, etc.) It makes no sense to let any of them go UFA, even if they aren’t in the plans to return next year.

40. Mikey_39 says:

I think trading Sergei would be a big mistake.  He will be a top 6 guy on any other team because they will know how to use him.  He needs to be put on one of the top lines with a GOAL SCORER.  And no, Scott Gomez is not a goal scorer.  I really don’t understand why JM would not give him a chance to play with his brother. I think a Plecky-Kbros line would have been really successful.

We will regret trading sergei. Most of you undervalue his potential

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Unless Gainey was swapping out Guimauve’s vitamins with sleeping pills, how was Guimauve’s utter amateurism and selfishness Gainey’s fault? He was a petulant child in his media interviews and blamed everyone but himself for his poor play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. alfieturcotte says:

Gauthier – wake up.  First Halak, then overpaying for Pleks, now Moore unsigned.  Decisions that make me scratch my head and wonder just how unskilled our current GM is.

43. Favorite Son says:

We don’t need him. There’s Lapierre, Pyatt and Eller if he makes the team. Moore will cost $1.5M+ and we don’t need that for a 3rd line player.

44. BeachHabFan says:

and i just read smartdog’s post below. smart me. fyi i think higgins got a qualifying offer on June 30, 2009, and was traded the same day!

45. Rugger says:

Quitting time came before they got them all faxed out?

46. GrimJim says:

TSN is reporting that HAbs gave CArle a qualifying offer too

47. Favorite Son says:

Pouliot’s not a hometown boy.

48. Fansincebirth says:

Sorry, brain cramp…

49. BeachHabFan says:

they have to make an offer to retain his rights, don’t they? maybe someoe could clarify the process. i can’t see him staying in the organization but if they’re going to trade him they need to be able to (like with higgins last year)