Qualifying offers heat up contract talks

RDS reports that the Canadiens have made qualifying offers to 10 restricted free agents, most notably goalie Carey Price and forwards Maxim Lapierre, Tom Pyatt and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Benoit Pouliot, the team’s other RFA, has not yet received an offer. The Canadiens have until next Monday to do so, if that’s in fact what they choose to do.

Pierre Gauthier on Pouliot, quoted by Marc-Antoine Godin on Twitter: “The evaluation is not finished. A qualifying
offer should come before Monday.”

Others to receive offers: farmhands Mathieu Carle, David Desharnais, Cédrick Desjardins, Brock
Trotter, Ryan Russell and James Wyman.

A few notes from our friends at CKAC:

• Price: earned $850,000 last season, the final year of his entry-level contract.
• Lapierre: earned $800,000 and had a good playoffs after a lacklustre season.
• Pyatt: earned $685,000, second-low on the team to SK74.
• Kostitsyn: earned $585,000, spent quality time with Hamilton or in Jacques Martin’s doghouse.

The Canadiens have four UFAs who next Thursday could be shopping their services anywhere they wish: Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, Marc-André Bergeron and Paul Mara.

1. GrimJim says:

TSN is reporting that HAbs gave CArle a qualifying offer too

2. Favorite Son says:

Pouliot’s not a hometown boy.

3. Fansincebirth says:

Sorry, brain cramp…

4. BeachHabFan says:

they have to make an offer to retain his rights, don’t they? maybe someoe could clarify the process. i can’t see him staying in the organization but if they’re going to trade him they need to be able to (like with higgins last year)

5. Puck Bard says:

Trade: it’s procedural.

6. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

If they’ve made the offers to the others, you can’t really say that management is showing priority to the hometown boys. It’s more likely that the hometown boys are willing to accept the offer.

7. crabvader says:

Lol, right on.

8. crabvader says:

I just have to accept my inferiority to clearly superior intellects. 🙁

9. fuhgawz says:

assumption about the contract — and fact about him earning it.

10. devils_fury2 says:

Although I like Sergei I am definately suprised with the amount of times he was in the dog house that Gauthier gave him a qualifying offer….I’m not suprised about Pouliot, even though he for the most part was on a line with Gionta and Gomez, other then a few games here and there he didn’t do anything (especially not in the playoffs), Gionta was more of a force in front of the net then Pouliot was…..IMO until Price proves some consistancy I wouldn’t give him more then a 2 year deal nor would I give the guy more then 2 mil a season

11. zooziff says:

Did the Habs place a qualifying offer to Sergei Kostitsyn because he’s in the team’s long term plans or because they plan on trading him soon? What’s the time period for these offers? Anyone?

12. SmartDog says:

Relax people.

They extend an offer to SK to keep his rights.  It might be for a bag of beans, but they have to do it.  And he’s worth 600k as a prospect.

As for Pouliot, I think he’s probably already close to a deal.  That’s the most likely explanation.

I hate to say it but Darche, Pouliot… these home town boys are probably priorities.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

13. crabvader says:

Is that assumption or fact?

14. fuhgawz says:

Price will get 6mil for 3 year term 2mil a year. .  even then he hasn’t really earned that and im a price fan.

15. SmartDog says:

The HIO policy states that any small error or exageration nulifies an otherwise sound and well-supported point or argument. The less you say, the less you can have used against you.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

16. GrimJim says:

Yes he has experience and was injured last year but even prior to the injury he moved at a snail’s pace. Gill was heroic during the playoffs but he’s slow, Hamrlik has lost a step and spacek is only average speed. All through the regular season we were lamenting the lack of speed in the defense. Mara as a seventh would only exacerbate that, and PK can only do so much

17. crabvader says:

Reeeelaaaax about Pouliot. PG still has 4 days to sign him.

18. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

We currently have 7 defensemen under contract for next season. If someone gets moved, I’d rather see the 7th spot opened up for young guys from Hamilton to be tested out.

19. fuhgawz says:

no way he was as bad as MAB

20. crabvader says:

His play before his injury was terrible.

21. fuhgawz says:

Benny will be given an offer i have no doubt about that — Sk like many of you suprises me what is PG up to??

I wouldn’t mind having Moore back as well i grew to appreciate him during the playoffs wouldn’t mind seeing him for a couple more years.

22. Qais says:

yes only if we trade him for Latendresse after?

23. Qais says:

yes only if we trade him for Latendresse after?

24. crabvader says:

If he’s as honest as Plekanec, he will be signed. Everytime this kid was on TV he would talk about how he loved it in Montreal.

25. Les-Habitants says:

I am a little surprised by them not offering Pouliot a qualifying offer at the same time as the other players, if for nothing else but to ensure that we retain his rights.  Does anyone know of any reason at all why we wouldn’t?

26. SmartDog says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

27. B says:

from 2/1/09 to 2/1/11, has a list of six (6) teams in both the Eastern and Western Conference that he will accept a trade to; after 2/1/11, does not hold a NTC

28. Propwash says:

Why not? Seems to be an experienced d-man. He was hurt throughout most of the season.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

29. natethegreat says:

i almost crapped my pants when i read that!

30. SmartDog says:

I was thinking that too.

It either means they don’t want him (unlikely) or he’s indicated that he wants to sign here and the deal is almost done.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

31. kempie says:

Oh yeah, except for that.

Actually, I laughed out loud when I read your response. I do stand corrected. Actually, I was moving and had no TV/internet/radio. I remember thinking “meh, Gainey plays it so safe, I won’t miss anything”. Really makes ya think though that, with Gainey’s risk/reward equations he seems to use, how bad did the situation have to be a year ago for him to do what he did?

32. Propwash says:

Would you guys give Mara one more season?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

33. twocents says:

I suspect the lack of qualifying offer for Pouliot may indicate they will announce a deal outside of the qualifying process.

34. crabvader says:

Oh crap… I forgot we were on HI/O where anything you say must be taken literally!

27 goals… DAMN! That’s not even CLOSE to 30, am I right?

Actually, what are YOU rounding, bud? 27 rounded is 30.

I guess we can’t all be as clever as you. When was the last time Ribs had a season under 50 pts?

Trading him for Ninimaa was a steal for us.

35. Mr_MacDougall says:

Report: MAB 5 years, 10 mill., no trade clause, and the captain.

36. Mr_MacDougall says:

Lats did get his francophone spot. He was lazy and a soft bug man.. so soft.. useless. Glad we gor rid of that baggage.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Marleau had a very good series against Chicago, but was his usual self-effacing self in the Sharks’ first two series.

Those 4 games (all defeats) where he played well probably lost him that choker tag and earned him the big contract.

38. Mr_MacDougall says:

A 30 goal scorer? so I guess Cammy is a 50 goal man by your rounding. Ribs was great to get rid of.. his best was 27.. never be a “great” number 2 centre

39. crabvader says:

J’me gratte la tete en soupirant et je fais des wrap-around.

Donnez-moi de l’argent.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve known Mcdonald’s employees with better work ethics than Guimauve. He was never going to score even 20 in MTL and thought his name entitled him to a roster position each season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. SmartDog says:

Hate to say it but it’s true.  They need a culture of professionalism.   On the other hand, don’t trade away any more Ribieros for nothing.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

42. crabvader says:

“Ninimaa was good for us anyways lol”

Lol indeed!

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Were you in some Himalayan retreat last July 1?

44. crabvader says:

The NTC in Hamr’s case is up in 2/1/11.

45. TripleX says:

I have always liked Sergei and think a coach willing to work with him and adapt a little will get a pretty versatile player in return.  I do think he needs a new start somewhere else to prove what he can do.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

46. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

You have most of the details right, but Hamr’s NTC doesn’t expire until Feb 1, 2011. That’s why I think we will have serious trouble moving him before the deadline. It’s not just about finding a team with cap space, it’s about finding a team with cap space where Hamr wants to go.

47. Qais says:

Pouliot will be re-signed, no matter what. Ninimaa was good for us anyways lol

48. crabvader says:

“Daaaaaaaaaaale, it’s Stan! We’re partying in Chi-town!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! Wish you were here, bud! Oh and you should be getting your ring via FedEx in a day or two! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!”

49. HabFanSince72 says:

Which Sergei are your referring to? What team does he play for?

50. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

If he was an RFA, I would give him a qualifying offer. The downside of presenting the offer is dwarfed by the downside of letting him go to UFA. That being said, I’m glad that the resigning of Niinimaa is not a decision facing Gauthier this year

51. kempie says:

Dom Moore is joining Hamr as one of the elephants in the room. I would reeeeeeally like to get Moore signed. Excellent bottom 6 guy. Can somebody confirm this about Hamrlik: He has a limited NTC that includes a list of 6 teams. That NTC expires July 1, 2010. Confirm? Deny? I’d love to imagine that PG has a grand evil-genius scheme in play here, considering the QO to Sergei & not Pouliot, but I’m afraid that it’s just more slow, plodding, safe Gainey type stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love Gainey but watching these guys assemble a team is like watching paint dry sometimes. PG is doing just fine so far with Halak/Plex but my fear is that Hamrlik & his cap hit will show up at training camp, Moore will walk, AK won’t put a point on the board until January when he’ll start filling the net like Ovechkin before getting injured just before the trade deadline. And he’ll sign Darryl Sydor & Dean McAmmond.

52. andrewberkshire says:

He got a ring though.

53. SmartDog says:

Double ouch!

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

54. crabvader says:

So did Janne Ninimaa.

Would you re-sign him?

A mistake that cost him the Cup.

56. Qais says:

Im pretty sure Pouliot is involved in these offers. How could he not be. He cost us a 30 naturel scorer!

57. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

And I would rather keep Moore than Sergei, despite his age.
    The Hockey God will remain for 6 more years…

58. andrewberkshire says:

They always extend qualifying offers, unless they’re Dale Tallon.

59. crabvader says:

They don’t grow olives in Belarus.

60. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Sergei offer is likely to make sure we can trade him or get compensated if he signs elsewhere, as stated by many below…

I personally would like to see him in a package deal with Hamrlik for Lupul and Deschamps. Someone else brought that up before and I think its a good move for size up front and a salary dump that Anaheim actually needs. Throw in a lower pick if they get greedy.

The Hockey God will remain for 6 more years…

61. B says:

If you mean Andrei Kostitsyn, he is already signed for next season (at $3.25M).

62. avatar_58 says:

Sergei you know what? This is an olive branch. TAKE IT and show you are worth something as a player.

63. B says:

Qualifying offers are not final, there is still room for negotiations. If they fail to make a qualifying offer to an RFA by a certain date (Jul 1st ?) then the RFA becomes a UFA and walks away for nothing.

64. crabvader says:

Maybe they haven’t gotten around to it yet, lol.

65. andrewberkshire says:

Anyone know why Pouliot wasn’t qualified?

66. Fansincebirth says:

Does this mean that AK is on the outside looking in?

67. habsfansince91 says:

i’ll be one of the few that agree’s with you. They have so much upside that it’ll be stupid to trade them. They have they skill and their missing is the consistency.

68. GuyDoon says:

Guys, I’m not up on the CBA, so correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they were “qualified” for two reasons: 1 – The Habs will give them the 5% – 10% raise for RFAs (depending on how much they made last year) because they feel that’s all they want to give to these players. Now the players can accept or decline. Expect Sergei to decline. 2 – If they don’t qualify them, they become UFAs. Like him or not, SKostitsyn is a hockey asset.

69. crabvader says:

But at some point this organization has to stop running a daycare and have players who are 100% commited like Josh Gorges, Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, etc.

We’ve been doing this dance for far too long and unless Sergei has been busting his ass off during the off-season to prove something to PG, I see this offer as crazy unless PG is trying to trade him for better value.

70. rgallagher says:

I’m sure many will disagree but I see more long term upside with Sergei than Andrei.  Sergei showed me last year that he can bounce back from the dog house (albeit just a little bounce) and be an effective penalty killer and support player.  The only thing Andrei showed me was his inconsistency and an apparent lack of interest and willingness to put in an honest effort every game.

71. mastro18 says:

Their working on something extra special for pouliot muahahaha.

72. habsfansince91 says:

i can’t see anyone givingus any 1st or 2nd round picks for the kostitsyns.

73. Chris says:

Not really news…teams almost always extend qualifying offers to any RFA’s they have to keep their rights.  Not tendering an offer makes them a UFA and you risk losing them for nothing on July 1.

74. mastro18 says:

how bout this we trade sergei and andrei to LA for Frolovs rights and 1st or 2nd round pick.