Q&A: Your questions about the 2017-18 Canadiens TV schedule

The NHL season is about to start, and for the first time since 2014 TSN will be broadcasting Canadiens games. But not all of them. And they won’t be available west of Belleville. Nor can you stream them online in Quebec unless you’re subscribed to TSN through Bell TV or another provider that’s not named Videotron. And Wednesday and Saturday and Sunday games are on Sportsnet or CBC or City or Sportsnet 360 or Sportsnet One, but Saturday afternoon games are still on TSN.

Confused yet? Yeah, it’s a bit complicated. So in addition to our story and 82-game schedule in Tuesday’s Gazette http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/watching-the-canadiens-on-tv-online-is-just-as-complex-as-last-season, we’re opening up a thread here for your questions about where to find the Canadiens on TV. Writer Steve Faguy will be checking in throughout the afternoon to try his best to answer questions you might have.

We’ll start with this one: Why is this so complicated?

Blame the National Hockey League. Like the other major leagues, the NHL splits its games between national and regional ones. The league sells the TV rights to the national games (that’s what Rogers bought for 12 years back in 2014), and the individual teams sell the rights to the regional games. But for various reasons that all have to do with maximizing the value of TV contracts, regional games are limited to a team’s broadcast region. For the Canadiens, that’s eastern Canada. Sportsnet and TSN and RDS would love nothing better than to make things easier for everyone and stop the blackouts, but they have to respect the NHL’s rules. And don’t expect those rules to change before the Rogers deal ends in 2026.

Other questions? Shoot!

Click here for the full 2017-18 Canadiens TV schedule.

Photo: Peter McCabe/MONTREAL GAZETTE

1. canuckbot says:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but it’s worth saying again for anyone in Toronto area. Rogers has a French Habs/Sens package for $60. RDS gets blocked and the games are sent to a Super Channel (464/465 on Rogers in Toronto). You get all the games not nationally televised. So worth it!

2. Lord Stanley of Surrey says:

Reading Steve Faguy’s column above on what channels and networks will carry Habs’ games for We in Lotus Land leaves My head swirling in confusion and frustration.

Almost enough to start another PETITION!

But I don’t have, lucky for Y’all, the energy for another PETITION!

So, I’m gonna STREAM!!! STREAM!!! STREAM!!! instead of SCREAM!!! SCREAM!!! SCREAM!!!

Not a sou will trickle into da Weeds-sucking NHL’s pimp-pant’s pockets!

• Lord Stanley of Surrey says:

Above is a comment I posted in the previous thread, so it certainly also applies here.

The Rogers’ Petition I was referring to realized 5000+ signatures across Canada, the US and overseas.

So a lot of Habs Fans were/are Royally Pizzed.

Like Steve and Dave say, there likely, barring an NHL policy-change, will not be a sane ability to watching Our Team unhindered geographically anywhere because of the dystopian NHL regional-broadcast restrictions and black-outs.

At least the PETITION!!! realized the French-language $60 option on cable and I believe smart-phone streaming as well. Which was a compromise Rogers made in reaction to the backlash at the time.

So it was worth My effort.

Yet, I can not see, notwithstanding the current Rogers contract with the NHL unto 2026, that the principal parties will not amend that contract for economic, technological and political reasons well before 2026..

I think Fans have to keep the PR pressure on. All things in this screwy world are possible.

• canuckbot says:

Most of the Rogers agents don’t even know about the package. Keep on them. Keep mentioning the games are in French and eventually you will get what you are looking for. Thanks for your efforts Lord Stanley of Surrey! I tried streaming last year but even the best streams don’t compare to HD but I fully understand the principle. All the best on that!

• Mad Habber says:

Unless you are using the free streaming then good luck with that. I am not even concerned about hockey much anymore.

Last year I subscribed to both the Rogers Sportsnet Now and the NHL Centre Ice or whatever it was called and got blackouts on both services to Canadiens games. I live right on the edge of the regional line and technically I am in the Canadiens viewing region, but Now said I wasn’t. NHL Centre Ice said I was. That left me with only being able to watch the national broadcast games. Trying to get support about the issue only lead to frustration over the issue.

NHL CentreIce told me I need to contact my NOW, NOW blamed my ISP saying my IP had me in a different location. If they are going to keep blackouts, at least sync the format for location tracking. Not going to be following much hockey this year.

3. B says:

If you get RDS2, they’re showing Friday’s Rocket season/home opener vs Belleville

–Go Habs Go!–

• Fagstein says:

TSN 690 will also be broadcasting that game. RDS has 16 Rocket games on RDS or RDS2 this season. TSN 690 is carrying most Friday night home games, and 91.9 Sports is broadcasting the whole season.

• B says:

My French isn’t very good for following hockey games in French on the radio, so other than the handful of Friday home games on TSN690, I guess I will have to look for the other team’s radio coverage on the internet. I was listening to Belleville’s homer coverage on CJBQ 800AM for the 2 preseason games (they kept getting McNiven’s name wrong).

Last season, I listened to a lot of IceCaps’ game on their internet radio feed (that “Rog” guy who did play by play was terrible homer too).

–Go Habs Go!–

4. GeorgetownHabs says:

What free games can I see in Toronto area?

5. Le Revenant says:

It’s so heartwarming how Jaromir Jagr, who his entire life has ached to play in a Canadian market, finally overcomes the vagaries and tribulations and gets his wish now with the Flames.

———————————————————————–
    « Il m’a cross-checké, je l’ai cross-checké. Il m’a ensuite dit : “Sais-tu qui je suis?” Je lui ai répondu: “Je ne sais pas qui tu es, mais si tu veux savoir qui je suis, on peut y aller”. Il n’a pas jeté les gants et ç’a fini là. » –Bokondji Imama

Yes, I read the situation the same as you Norm. It pained him to not be able to play for a Canadian team until now. Purely a coincidence that no American team would offer him a contract.

• johnnylarue says:

He was just waiting for a social progressive like J. Trudeau to come around and lift Canada’s long-standing immigration ban on mullets.

I’m guessing just an oversight on Capfriendly’s part, but Byron Froese was put on waivers at the same time as Martinsen. BUt only the big Norwegian is showing as cleared and Froese appears to have fallen into a black hole.

Anybody heard anything? Not that Froese is critical for the Habs, but he would help the Rocket team quite a bit.

7. BigB says:

Is schlemko gonna be out longer than originally expected?

Habs forever!

8. HabinVA says:

Berkshire has a rating of top defensemen using his selection of stats over at Sportsnet. Take em with a grain of salt!

9. habcertain says:

If the plan is to ride Chucky on a 3rd line with Shaw and Danault, we really cannot expect too much. For an offensively challenged team, we sure like to bury our guns.

• Loop_G says:

There really is 2 equal lines, so that could just as easily be called a second line as a third. It is a line that we can expect 60 goals from, is young, fairly big, strong and fast. Does not sound like a problem to me

• Luke says:

It’s just the order someone writes them down in. Don’t read too much into it. Watch the icetime and # of shifts. Julien will rotate who his top line is in any given game based on effectiveness.

Similarly, whoever pairs with Weber is NOT necessarily the teams #2 defenseman (though in Mete’s case, it is). It’s just who fits best with Weber at that time.

Personally, I think the idea of lines and pairings defining a player’s value and rank are over.

EDIT:
      If you look at Daily Faceoff, they have his listed as the 2nd… so there ya go. Instant promotion, problem solved.

Lupul failed an independent medical evaluation, ruled unfit to play.

11. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but as a Telus TV subscriber (with TSN and Sportsenet), when I’m in Montreal, I can watch all Habs games through a combination of Sportsnet NOW and TSN GO.

Is that correct?

• Fagstein says:

In theory yes, but you should check with Telus, especially since they don’t normally operate a TV distribution service in Montreal.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

yea, my subscription is in Calgary, but I’m back and forth between Montreal & YYC a lot…just want to make sure that it works for when I’m in Montreal.

12. Phil C says:

Forward line up looks good except for Drouin at 1C. That’s a question mark at this point. If he struggles or excels will make a big difference. Otherwise, it should be 3 lines deep that can score with the 4th being able to contribute.

The D is a little scary. I can’t see Streit and Davidson lasting. Morrow is a question mark. Mete is a question mark. I think Alzner and Petry will be steady, so a lot rides on the 1st and 3rd pairings to play well. Especially if Mete struggles, it could be a long season as they are thin on the left. If he excels, than it’s a different story as they could roll the top four in most situations and shelter the third pairing. Penalty killing could be an issue on D as well.

• Ozmodiar says:

agreed. the scary thing is #1C and #1LD are pretty significant question marks.

The D looks pretty bad.

It’s like MB went on vacation this summer, and on the plane ride said: “I think i left the stove on … and the D … i forgot about the defense!”

13. Captain aHab says:

If some of you Bell subscribers want to move to Videotron, remember to NOT buy set top boxes from them. You can get those used from Kijiji. They will typically range in Price between $50 to $75 – yes for a Recorder (but not 4K) – here in the Outaouais. Just stay on the lookout for them.

The other thing you can try is to tell them you are getting one yourself and they will often throw in a one-year free rental. Then threaten them again in one year. I find this works better once they know you actually have at least one unit you purchased used.

—————-
    Drop da puck already!

14. 25soonenough says:

Updated Rocket training camp roster
    Forwards (17)

Audette, Daniel
    Boucher, Jordan, tryout
    Broll, David, AHL contract
    Carr, Daniel
    Ebbing, Thomas, AHL/ECHL contract
    Eisenschmid, Markus
    Froese, Byron (Pending waiver clearance)
    Grégoire, Jérémy (injured)
    Holland, Peter
    Martinsen, Andreas (Pensing waiver clearance)
    McCarron, Michael

Redmond, Zach
    Taormina, Matt
    Goalies (3)

Fucale, Zachary
    Lindgren, Charlie
    McNiven, Michael

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

15. Bergevin's Foxhole says:

Canada out of region you can get Rogers RDS streaming. 60 games for $60 bucks. The rest are usually the weekend games available on basic cable CBC or City.

• Fagstein says:

In fact, the rest are all Saturday evening games, though there’s no guarantee Rogers won’t put some of them on Sportsnet (they’ve done it before). Also, this doesn’t cover playoff games, which would be on Sportsnet if there’s a conflict with the Leafs.

16. RightNyder says:

I’m not sure if I can watch an NHL season that doesn’t include DNP and Dwight King.

I will miss our ‘700 pounds of non-NHL beef’ line.

17. bwoar says:

Benn & Streit?

I can’t see that ending well… I really don’t see how Streit is a safer option than Jerabek right now.

• Hobie says:

Benn ain’t bad, I see Streit being pulled from the lineup rather quickly.

• Forum Dog says:

Gotta be all about the waivers. How else can you explain Morrow and Davidson. Neither of those guys looked better than Jerabek either (IMO), especially Morrow. At least Davidson brings a bit of size and a modicum of toughness.

• twilighthours says:

Benn’s the worst good player in the NHL. He is actually good, most of the time, but then he’s freakin’ horrible some shifts.

Or maybe he’s the best bad player in the NHL.

• 25soonenough says:

It won’t last. Benn-Davidson would be a likely 3rd pair in my books. Ideally, Jerabek plays his way back.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• savethepuck says:

I’m not a fan of Streit at all. 10 years ago I was, but now not so much. Seemed in preseason AHL and Junior players were flying by him with ease. I don’t see him lasting long, I just hope his mistakes don’t cost them any games

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Lapointe says:

I’m pretty sure CJ will notice if he is as bad as you suggest and take action. Some are saying he hasn’t the skills to play NHL and some say he hasn’t the smarts but I would think the smarts are still there and I agree he isn’t what he once was.

• Dust says:

hopefully Shlemko comes back soon.
      Shlemko Benn would be a real good 3rd pairing.
      Of course this depends on Mete working out on the first line with Weber

• Strummer says:

I read somewhere that moving from the KHL to the NHL requires an adjustment.

That could be why Jerabk is starting off in the AHL.

-Some folks really have trouble letting go of stuff, eh?-

• Tighthead says:

I suspect Jerabek gets heavy minutes in the A until Mete is sent down, at which point he jumps right into the lineup.

18. twilighthours says:

How relevant. I’m on the line with Bell Aliant (maritimes) right now renegotiating my bill. $226 before taxes a month is quite the kick in the chops.

All so I can watch Game of Thrones and a few boring hockey games.

• Hobie says:

That seems quite excessive. I pay $140 with Rogers before taxes which includes all the Sportsnet & TSN channels, plus unlimited Internet. Still a ripoff but a little less so than the price you’re being quoted.

• Captain aHab says:

Ouch….I’m with Videotron and just renegotiated with them (I was going to move completely out). I am now paying less than $100 plus taxes for:

Home phone
      Unlimited 30 Mbps internet
      TV service (on top of the base channels, I have 20 HD channels of my choice included, including RDS, TSN and Sportsnet) on 3 TVs.
      Free wireless router (might actually replace that as it isn’t great but mine decided to go meet its maker)

This will expire in a year but I will threaten them again then. I was going to move the home phone to Fido and the rest to VMedia. I think that being specific with your threats works better. I had actually started the phone migration to Fido and that got their attention.

I’m fairly sure I could have milked them for more but that will get done in a year.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• Lapointe says:

twilighthours….if you purchase a Android box you can watch Game of Thrones for free. I have one and they are absolutely awesome for lack of a better term. There is an endless supply of programming to watch. I am sure the Bells and Rogers will somehow put an end to this but I am enjoying it as long as I can. If you are in the Maritimes the Habs games are on TSN 2 and City covers some also SN360. Last year I watched all the games with this package and it is $116 a month taxes in.

• twilighthours says:

Thanks for the tips, Lapointe. Yes, I run a variety of torrenting and streaming services, along with a VPN.

I have no problem paying for HBO as they create great content.

And I also have no problem paying the NHL or another provider for a quality streaming service for games.

Unfortunately, my experience thus far with both Game Centre Live and illegal streaming is not up to stuff.

Martinesen has cleared waivers, Malcolm Subban claimed by Vegas.

• Forum Dog says:

Interesting on Subban. He’s been decent at the AHL level and, at 23, is still pretty young in goaler years. Could be a nice snag by Vegas if he can turn it around and find some NHL level confidence.

In surprising news, the “Independant” physical administered to Hossa was failed, thus clearing the way for him to be a wonderful Cap Circumvention present for the Blackhawks.

Thankfully Gary Bettman continues to uphold the best of class, virtue he possibly can.

• Habfan17 says:

What about Lupul?

Habfan17

I’m even more certain he fails his physical, he has no interest in trying to earn his current paycheque.

• savethepuck says:

According to anything I’ve read from him, he seems ready willing and able to play and is blaming the organization. Have you heard otherwise?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Strummer says:

Lupul has no interest in playing this year otherwise he would have taken part in off season training with the hockey community in Southern California where he lives.

He was just shooting his mouth off on social media like a lot of celebrities do and had to back track afterward.

-Some folks really have trouble letting go of stuff, eh?-

• Dust says:

I don’t know. sounds like he wanted to play based on his remarks.
          Not playing this year could prevent him from getting another contract

• Phil C says:

If he wanted to play, it was his right to get an independant medical. He did not exercise that right.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

The disease that Hossa has sounds quite horrific, actually. I really don’t think there is circumvention there.

• B says:

That seems like a rash decision

–Go Habs Go!–

Lines at practise this morning:

Max/Drouin/Gallagher
    Hudon/Plex/Lehkonen
    Galchenyuk/Danault/Shaw
    Byron/JDLR/Hemsky

Mitchell looks to be odd man out.

Mete/Weber
    Alzner/Petry
    Streit/Benn

Morrow/Davidson extra pairing.

I guess the real question is who starts in net…..?

• 25soonenough says:

Also, with Schlemko injured it looks like all 9 d are staying for now. Morrow-Davidson practicing as the 4th pair.

oops, you edited that too quickly.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• aHabberlikeyous says:

Hmmm, forwards who speack french are evenly spread out.

• on2ndthought says:

Not happy with the Streit Benn pairing. Would prefer Morrow. Can’t wait for Schlemko (words I never thought I’d say).

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
      “Please. This isn’t a bar fight. Have some class.” – Adrian Tepes

22. Dust says:

I live in the Toronto regional tv area.
    I get rogers game centre for free with my cell phone share everything plan. I can watch the games on my phone, tablet, laptop or on my tv through my playstation.
    I get every game except for the games against Toronto that are not national. I don’t subscribe to tsn on the tv so i don’t get the toronto regional games. I am hoping most habs leafs games are national broadcasts.
    Playoffs everything was open.
    hopefully Rogers always has gamecentre free with the share everything cell phone plan.
    Watching habs has never been cheaper for me.
    I also get the benefit of watching all the other non hab games. It’s great. I highly recommend gamecentre live.

23. habs-hampton says:

I live in habs region. New brunswick . Last year no problem watching all games on sportsnet. Now they changed to TSN. No problem, right? Wrong! They’re putting habs on TSN2 which I don’t have without forking out MORE money!

24. 25soonenough says:

Anyone looking for an alternative, or, perhaps wants to protest the league’s money grab. use this

or this

and the king of all Habs streamers, a guy I greatly appreciate
    is this guy

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

25. WindsorHab-10 says:

Through Cogeco I was able to purchase a Sports Package that only carried Habs games for a one time fee of $59. Started last year and I loved it. Did not know such packages existed until a rep from Cogeco told me as I was debating getting NHL Center Ice but did not want to pay that much.

Any games that were blacked out, I was able to watch on TSN or Sportsnet. Best investment ever.

I have been getting the same package from Cogeco the past two seasons. I’ve come to accept $60 per season as a pretty fair price to get all the regional games. Plus watching them en francais reminds me of my childhood days watching the Habs on Sat. nights while the rest of the family got the bigger tv with the Leaf game on in English.

• 25soonenough says:

That sounds reminiscent of the Hockey Sweater story, you should write a kid’s book about The Big TV and your little bitty one, a David vs Goliath type tale. I bet the little guy wins in the end.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• Fagstein says:

It comes out to $1 a game (plus preseason for free) or $10 a month, which is less than what providers here charge for RDS individually (of course, RDS broadcasts more than just hockey, allegedly).

Yah the $60 is fine, of course the rest of my Cogeco bill that is another story….

You do a good job Steve, thanks for helping provide clarity.

• Fagstein says:

If you live outside the Canadiens’ region, the $60 French-only Habs/Senators package is available both on NHL Centre Ice (TV — if your provider offers it) and NHL Live (streaming). If you get Centre Ice, you’ll still need CBC, City, Sportsnet and Sportsnet One for the national games.

Steve Faguy

26. Fagstein says:

In case anyone’s curious what the broadcast regions are for American teams, there’s this unofficial map that was created in 2013 (so doesn’t include Vegas), which notes how Washington State is underserved and could probably use a team: https://www.milehighhockey.com/2013/9/30/4784384/graphic-new-2013-nhl-divisions-by-tv-coverage-zone

27. Ozmodiar says:

hmmm … regarding the picture … looks like his wife said “gather up all your sh!t and put it in that room behind the curtain!”.

Caption: “Daddy, Daddy, please come out of your cave! Little Billy just took his first steps!”

/ life outside hockey …. whatevs

28. Аrpon Basu‏ @ArponBasu 25s26 seconds ago
    Victor Mete is again paired with Shea Weber this morning. Mark Streit to the left of Jordie Benn.

Great for Mete, the kid must be flying high right now. Should be a fun 9 games for him.

Shane Oliver
    Sholi2000.com
    @sholi2000
    What Carey Price Thinks of your Opinion on his New Contract

29. JoshM says:

In my opinion one game per week on the tube is quite sufficient. Life does exist outside hockey you know.

• Luke says:

We all live our lives in the fashion we see fit.
      Some people love their hockey and consume it as a passion and a hobby.
      Some don’t. You don’t, obviously.

But maybe you do something else with your time and money?
      Paint birdhouses, cook, crossfit, videogame, watch the Bachelor, Go to car shows…

Life also exists outside of your life, you know.

• Loop_G says:

Yeah, I have a hard time watching more than that, but I do make a bit more time during the playoffs. I am usually on my computer doing some sort of work during game hours though, so often stream the radio feed from TSN .

30. 100HABS says:

It’s really truly simple for anyone who is in Québec and can speak French. RDS always except Saturday nights, when it’s TVA.

RDS is great, Pierre Houde compares to all-time best broadcasters, even though he’s getting up there in age. TVA sucks, but I still find it better than the SN feeds…

31. Fagstein says:

Here’s one sent in by email: “As a Habs fan in Atlanta, I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best with televised games this season”

Fans in the United States get access to even fewer Canadiens games than Canadian ones do, since there’s a different national rights deal and NBC is less interested in Canadian teams. But NBCSN has already scheduled eight games this season for national broadcast, and NHL Network has three more, and that number could go up.

There are also, of course, the Habs games against your local team. Atlanta is in both the Predators and Hurricanes region, so those games will also be available on the local regional feeds (though with the local team’s possibly biased broadcast):
    2 games vs. Carolina on Fox Sports Southeast
    1 game vs. Carolina on Fox Sports Carolinas
    2 games vs. Nashville on Fox Sports Tennessee

So that’s 16 games at least, or half of what Canadians get.

32. Luke says:

With Rogers as my mobile service provider, I received GamecentreLIVE! as part of the package.
    I’m hoping that carries over to this year as well.

It was not blocked during the preseason, but that may just be how the service operates.

I must say, though, the stream wasn’t as smooth or reliable (choppy/fuzzy at times) as the YouTube ones…

• Fagstein says:

The only change Rogers seems to have made to its streaming product is changing its name to Rogers NHL Live.

If you have a Share Everything plan with Rogers, you still get it for free. Full rules for the free plan are here.

Blackouts on the NHL streaming app apply only to in-market regional games. So you won’t see the Canadiens games that are on TSN2 or RDS unless you live outside the Canadiens region. Inside the region, you need the TSN Go or RDS Go app (and need to be subscribed through a participating provider).

Steve Faguy

• Luke says:

Share Everything!Woo hoo!

Yah, I’m kneedeep in Leafland… Southern Ontario.
        I get everything on the streaming service that is not a national broadcast.

Thanks!

• stjrandy says:

I have already checked with Rogers and the GameCentre Live access remains as a free add-on for the cell phone plan for this year. I used to buy the $60 french only package until I was advised by Rogers that I had this for free. Have used it exclusively for the past 2 years. It is pretty solid.

33. ManGamesLost says:

So as a cord-cutter in Montreal I survived just fine last season with Rogers GameCentre (free with my Rogers wireless account) and Sportsnet One ($24.95 a month). I live in Montreal and got all games.

This year, in Quebec, not caring whether it is French/English broadcasting, what’s the cheapest combo to be able to get all games while cord cutting? Rogers GameCentre (free) + what? My parents have RDS in their Bell TV package and I could watch through RDS.ca. Can I piggy-back off that, plus GameCentre, to get all 82 games?

• Fagstein says:

Unfortunately the move from Sportsnet to TSN kind of screwed over cord-cutters. There’s no way to (legally) stream the TSN and RDS games in-region without a cable TV subscription.

If you do “piggy-back” to get access to the RDS games, that gives you the 60 games that aren’t on Saturday evenings. Those games will generally be available on CBC, City and Sportsnet and will be available on the Rogers NHL app, so you should be OK. CBC will also usually provide free streaming for its Hockey Night games.

For the playoffs, no blackouts apply so your free GameCentre/NHL Live account will get you all the games.

Steve Faguy

• aHabberlikeyous says:

With regards to piggy backing off Bell Fibe, if you configure your wireless devices to your parents tv fibe service by downloading Bell tv app into your device and programing it to the tv, you could roam anywhere in the whole PQ as long as you have a decent internet connection. You will have remote access to all your parents channels (rds+ tva). That works for recordings as well.

34. Zero issues here. Outside of Quebec, Bell Center Ice is the way to go.

Shane Oliver