Pyatt joins No. 2 line

The search for someone to play with Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez continued today as the Canadiens returned to practice after two days off. Tom Pyatt and Mathieu Darche alternated at left wing on the line and it appears Pyatt will get a look when the Canadiens play the New Jersey Devils Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

Coach Jacques Martin has used Benoit Pouliot and Travis Moen in that spot this season and neither has been particularly effective. Pouliot lined up yesterday on the No. 3 line with Jeff Halpern and Maxim Lapierre while Moen was with Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller.

The only news to come out of the practice is that defenceman Andrei Markov will not play against the Devils. When asked when fans might expect to see him in the lineup. Markov said: “I’ll let you know.”

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Tom Pyatt

1. ZepFan2 says:

“In the new NHL it is all about effective cap management.”

So it’s not just the Habs then!?

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

2. SUMO says:

The problem on Gomez’s line isn’t Gionta or the winger its the $7million albatross wearing #11. Why doesn’t JM put Eller in between Pouliot and Gionta or even pair up Eller with Pouiliot and Lapierre on the 3rd line. Sounds like some politics going on behind the scenes.

When was the last time you saw Gomez win a race for a loose puck or win a battle along boards. Heck even hobbit-sized Gionta wins more battles along the boards than Gomer. Gomer doesn’t play a very gritty game, I wonder why no one ever calls him on it.

3. pic1983 says:

Scott Gomez had 12 points in 19 playoff games (which i guess is half decent), but he only scored 2 goals, and was a minus-6 throughout those 19 games.  I would hardly call that a big game player.

4. TripleX says:

Does PG have any cap room to make roster changes?  Nope.

Does PG have the ability to send down roster players who are under performing and bring up a player?  Nope.

When a GM has put himself into a position where he has zero maneuver room I don’t call that great cap management.

I know you love everything about Hab’s management Tom and that is great.  I just happen to disagree.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

5. TripleX says:

I think it has more to do with the particular culture of the Habs than JM.

As far as the players not doing well on other clubs. Bad drafting?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

6. Chips says:

I like those lines. I think Lappy may surprise us.

25 in 2011

7. TomNickle says:

But the Penguins have to give their rookies significant roles because of the money they have tied up in Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Martin, Michalek, Letang and Fleury.

Do you mean effective cap management like adding Boyd and Halpern at $100k less annually than Moore?

Or did you mean signing Plekanec long term and trading a goalie who now makes $4 million annually for a player who makes $850 annually for the next two years instead of trading the cheaper goalie?

Nah, Gauthier don’t know nothing bout cap management.

8. pic1983 says:

Agree on all counts.  But than again, I never liked Martin from the day he was hired, and I never liked the way he handled young players.  Young players need to know that they can make mistakes.  If you bench them every time they make a mistake, all your doing is ruining their confidence, and making them grip the stick too tight which results in, you guessed it, more mistakes!  A huge part in being a succesful athlete is confidence, and Martin isnt very good at instilling confidence in his younger players.

9. TripleX says:

Exactly!  Having young cheap players playing key roles on the roster is essential for cap management.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

10. LNev says:

Do I trade Markov for Weber?  Yes.  In a heartbeat.

Would I trade Weber for Markov? Not a chance.

11. TripleX says:

Pens have two rookies playing key roles on their roster.  Seems only the Habs are reluctant to give youth a chance.  Yes, I know about PK Suban.  But really what veteran does JM have to take his spot?

It makes sense to have young players develop into key roles.  Why?  because they are cheap and that leaves more cap space to fill holes in the roster.  In the new NHL it is all about effective cap management.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

12. rocketsglare says:

Perhaps JM wants to use the jam and speed of Pyatt to get Gionta and Gomez going. But what that line really

needs is a big, strong, and physical forward you can both skate and shoot the puck and provide the necessary

time and space for Gionta and Gomez to play their game. So far no one has been able to provide a real power

game to that line. There still hoping that Pouliot will eventually be that player.

13. joeybarrie says:

Is this based on JM’s ONE YEAR with our team or is this something that is based in the last 5 years of the Habs?

What are we basing it on? How great have any of our young guys on OTHER teams done this year that they didn’t do on our team?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. TomNickle says:

If I were to sit down and teach a child from age 5 through 15 how to play defense.  It would be three hours per day of Shea Weber video.

15. TomNickle says:

The young players on other teams are given mountains of responsibility and how do their teams fair in the early years of that project?

Tavares and the Islanders?

Toronto and Bozak?

Atlanta and Little?

Tampa and Stamkos?

Chicago and Toews?

Columbus and Brassard?

Los Angeles and Kopitar?

Phoenix and Boedker?

Colorado and Statsny?

Those teams all struggled for more than one season after handing the reigns to their young players.  Why would we give all of the responsibility to kids when we have veterans?

16. joeybarrie says:

I gotta suppliment with saying SCOTT GOMEZ is not a goal scorer. NEVER HAS BEEN, NEVER WILL BE… One freak year of 33 goals. Other than that he is payed for his average of 50 assists per season. OVER PAID YES… But we need to get over that. OH YEAH while we are on beating a dead horse topic, Halak’s gone too…

He flies through the neutral zone and sets up in the offensive zone. He does this very well. NOT PERFECT EVERYTIME like we all expect him to be, but he does a GREAT job of it. Don’t think so? AGAIN 12 assists getting us to the Conf Finals… Not all our goals were stolen from the other team and were un-assisted. The goal scorers need someone to pass it to them in a place where they can score…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

17. rdiddy says:

all true. Maybe Im just dreaming of a day where I can wear my Weber team Canada Olympic jersey to the Bell Centre!

18. TomNickle says:

I think we’re all just a little bit bored due to the long layoff Joey.

19. The Big O says:

Umm, isn’t it the veterans who are supposed to get the young kids going and help them along and not the other way around?  In other organizations, young players develop because they are left on a line and they go through the ups and downs with the veterans helping them along.  Here it seems, we remove young players from a line after two shifts!  No wonder other young players around the league are having some success and our young players stay in neutral.

20. joeybarrie says:

OK, things are starting to get into the CRAZY zone again…

‘Gomez should be benched’ ????? What are you talking about? He scored a game winning goal and set up another game winning goal. What’s that? It was an ugly goal??? WHO IN THE F CARES???? Bench guys who don’t play pretty???? Ridiculous. 4 UGLY Tampa goals against us and everyone is dying for their team and Boucher…

God Forbid we try someone else on the line with Gio and Gomez. We are just trying to get things going. Pouliot has not been effective. Sucks cause he is trying hard, hitting and just seems to be unlucky. Maybe another line will get him going, and Gio and Gomez too.

Eller not centering Gomez and Gio. It’s ok that we don’t want to do this. We have alot of options and not exploring it right now is ok. Don’t worry. JM is a good coach and knows what he is doing. Don’t think so??? How did we get to the Conf Finals last season? Oh yeah we did it only cause of ONE player. So why are we 3-1-1 without him?

I liked the idea of Pouliot with Pleks and AK. Cammalleri is streaky and will probably do something on the Gio, Gomer line. But the idea of keeping the Pleks line intact as it has been successful is good too. I don’t want AK slowing down.

‘Don’t like the handling of Eller by JM’ Look at what JM did to Hossa, and others. He made them more rounded, better players.  Same thing said about JM with regards to S. Kostitsyn… It is absolutely too early to tell, but 2 games 0 points minus 1…. Different coach on a team doing well and he hasn’t done anything.

FIVE GAMES PEOPLE… Let’s not go too crazy too quickly… 5 games in and because our 2nd line isnt producing as much as the first line we think we will be behind in December…. Considering AGAIN we are 3-1-1… Whats missing is the Power Play. The second line… OUR MOST CONSISTENT LINE LAST SEASON will be just fine.

JM is experimenting, and rightly so. Smart coaches prepare for different scenarios. ESPECIALLY ONES WHERE WE GET INJURIES…. KNOW WHAT I MEAN???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

21. rocketsglare says:

I would consider the trading of Markov only if the defensive corp can become younger, stronger, mobile, and physical.

So, yes I would look into the possibility of trading Markov for Weber if the above requirements are met in such a trade.

22. Le_Sportif_De_Salon says:

I don’t get this move and love for Pyatt’s offense.

I mean, he’s nothing short of interesting but on the second line?

We need a winger ASAP!

23. nunacanadien says:

I wonder if they are shopping Pyatt in hopes of finding someone that could play with Gionta and Gomez.  Imagine if we could get Gomez scoring, what a bonus that would be.

24. TomNickle says:

Weber isn’t going to command Kovalchuk type money.

And with Barry Trotz, Nashville has just as good of a chance as any to win the Cup.

Keep in mind that they came closer than anybody to beating out the Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks

25. Lafrich says:

Ridiculous. It’s more like a punishment to be on Gomez’z line right now. It’s not like G and G are lighting it up. I would put Eller with Pouliot and Pyatt, and let G and G work out their own issues with either Moen or Darche. They are bringing Pouliot down, and Poulito respects them too much. You can see it in his game.. he is giving up the puck to them all the time when it is not necessarily the right play.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Atlanta made Kovalchuk captain… Weber’s approaching his prime years, he may want to go looking for a team that can Contend for Stanley. They gave him the C but it doesn’t necessarily mean he wants to lose his prime years on a team that can’t spend the cap to really contend for the Cup.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. Storm Man says:

I see you’re posting about yourself again. You’re better off laying by your dish.

28. TomNickle says:

If Weber were to hit the market the expected return would be close to what the Kings would want for Doughty.

Weber’s that good.

29. ManApart says:

I think I would do the trade, but why would Nashville not want to sign Weber for 6 mil and then have to sign Markov for that amount. That’s about how much markov would cost.

30. punkster says:

Interesting angle. re: pluggers.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

I love Andrei but factoring age and Weber’s talents, the fact he’s yet to hit his prime years as a D and comparitive injury history, I’d make the deal. It would be an extremely difficult choice but given Weber’s ability to shine at the Olympics and his dominance in Nashville it’s the right long-term move to make.

It would ****ing suck but it’s one of those things you do, I doubt it would happen, Weber’s value would demand Markov + extra I think, NSH could command a ransom for him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. TomNickle says:

You do know they made him captain right?

33. TomNickle says:

You can attack this and I really have no defense but hear me out even though I’m not certain it’s true myself.

In Gomez, I see a player who keeps his foot off the gas and stays just above cruise control on a nightly basis.  I think he saves himself for big games and the playoffs.  His understanding of what games are big and the mere mindset of not giving everything may be incorrect but he does show up in those big games and moments.

This season.  He’s shooting when he would normally pass.  He’s missing the net or having shots blocked quite often but I think he may be setting up his passes by keeping opposing teams honest instead of allowing them to give him his space and wait for him to pass.

34. TomNickle says:

Done

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Cammalleri’s not a defensive player and we pretty much knew that upon his signing, he’s calmed down since the Nino incident and I’ll take that, I think the point was being made aside from the softie through Fleury, Gomez has yet to show he’s worth much of his salary. I wouldn’t bench him but I’d rather he started flying with his speed more and worked on getting out more of this slick passes to set up the open man, a bit too quiet to start the season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. rdiddy says:

Here is a thought of the day.

Would you trade Andrei Markov straight up for Shea Weber?

If Weber doesnt want to sign long term in Nashville he is an RFA at years end, and would command salary in the 6mill range, which Nashville usually doesnt fork out. Markov would be a perfect veteran replacement on that blue line…

37. rocketsglare says:

I am not so worried about Gionta or Gomez, as I am of Pouliot. He seems to be unable to get going re–

gardless of the lines he has been on. To his credit, he continues to skate, check and contribute the odd

assist, but he seems to be unable to use his big frame to possess and control the puck along the boards,

and more importantly, around the net.

I believe that this is more of an issue of will rather than conditioning. Given his history in Minnesota and

so far with the Habs, one has to question Pouliot’s commitment and dedication when he has been so in–

consistent in his power game.

Management will continue to hope that Pouliot will eventually find his game and until then will have to

wait patiently when that day comes, if it all.

38. TomNickle says:

Had nothing to do with his offensive play.  But defensive play and questionable decisions and penalties have been there.

Just making a point here Robert.

If we’re going to bench players for slow starts we can only ice three quarters of a roster.

39. habs365 says:

taking into consideration our 2nd line is doing very little scoring there has to be changes or this team is gonna be way behind come December, remember that’s usually when the teams go into slumps and some never recover. you may not agree but myself I would look at which one should do some time with the Bulldogs, Pouliot or Eller. i would than give Desharnais a chance with the big club on the second line with Gomez and Gionta, I know what you’re thinking we have enough small players already. Henry Richard had a very good career with the Habs, why not Desharnais. when it comes to scoring goals size means nothing. whether you’re 5’7″ or 6’7″ if you can’t put the puck in the net, you’re just a body that can push smaller guys around and don’t fare as well against a bigger guy anyway if I was the coach I would try this for maybe 6 games if it doesn’t work out the guy he sent to the Bulldogs bring him back and they’ll have to tinker til they find the right player for the second line, they have nothing to lose without a second scoring line even if they do make the playoffs, it’ll be a short stay.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t Cammalleri generate 8 SOG against Ottawa? I think some people are forgetting Cammy is a streaky scorer by nature, sometimes he can’t help but not hit the net, other times he’s always just missing. Relax, the goals will come especially with AK opening up the ice so Cammy can set up in his office at the Right faceoff circle.

Boyd was with Darche and Darche held back his line from being effective as well, not all his fault.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. SLONCOLD says:

i think gomez has been invisible on the score sheet but not playing badly enough to be benched

42. TomNickle says:

Eller isn’t prepared to play through the middle of the ice against elite NHL lines.

He’s much better served on the wing for now.

43. db says:

How about Eller centering Gomez & Gionta?

44. TomNickle says:

If they’re going to do that then they need to be prepared to do the same with Spacek, Hamrlik, Cammalleri, Boyd and Darche.

Those guys might not make $8 million annually but they played equally as poor as Gomez did last game, some of them worse.

45. punkster says:

True but I don’t consider Eller at the same level as PK. He’s kind of a special case don’t you think?

46. Greg says:

The Pouliot thing bothers me more as well. Maybe Benny just needs a couple goals and they’ll start coming in bunches. He’s got the skill, no one debates that. What was questioned was his work ethic, and this year he seems to be working hard. So what’s with the demotion (also, no nonsense about his 4th line duty NOT being a demotion, please)?

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

47. rocketsglare says:

Halpern’s face-off efficiency will be key late in the season when puck possession and control can be the

difference between a one goal win or loss. Adding to his upside is his jam and occasional scoring.

48. Greg says:

Subban is in a similar position. He makes rookie mistakes too but Martin shows confidence in him by sending him back out. Eller gets to sit.

I’m not talking about Martin shortening his bench. If that’s why Eller doesn’t play in a one-goal game, fine. But an opportunity on the top line wouldn’t hurt in my opinion. I thought he did well with Pleks and AK46 in Toronto.

-Gordie Howe

49. B says:

Perhaps they should sit Gomez for a game rather than just rotating guys through his wing to try and get him jump started. That might wake Gomez up and send the message that he has to play a full games worth of effort and not just the odd flash here and there. I don’t know how many times in these first few games I asked out loud “is Gomez playing tonight?”

50. warriorhockey says:

so when is it ellers turn ??

51. Bill says:

I am. The faceoffs are really helpful.

Full Breezer 4 Life

52. mbplekfan says:

Five games is a pretty short time frame. I dont think time is running out on him until february. His upside is better than the trade return.

I’d take a mediocre Pouliot over the 3rd round draft pick we could get back.

53. TomNickle says:

They gave him a new contract after he played dreadfully for 30 games.  Why would they trade him after five good games?

54. TomNickle says:

From where I sit putting Pyatt with Gomez and Gionta is an effort to do two things.

1. Create a line of forwards that can keep up with each other speed wise.

2. Get Gomez and Gionta going better by bringing up a guy who is sure to empty his tank on Thursday night.  Martin will look for Gomez and Gionta to match Pyatt’s energy level.

For now I don’t mind that Eller and Pouliot are in our bottom six.  It makes our bottom six much stronger and allows those specific players to focus on fundamentals instead of worrying about scoring every time they’re on the ice.

55. punkster says:

A good minor league coach, maybe. Juniors/AHL etc possibly but those stakes are considerably higher. Pro coaches? Not a snowball’s chance in h-e-double hockey sticks does a pro coach let a rookie work out his problems duting regular season games. Training camps, pre-season, practice, yes. And by the way just exactly what do you think JM or almost any head coach in the NHL can “teach” a pro player. How to skate, make a pass, body check? Not their job.

56. Bill says:

I love Pyatt’s game, and don’t mind the tryout on the 2nd line, but … he’s roughly the size of me, and his best pro total is 15 goals in a year with the Wolfpack of the AHL. What that line needs is size and finish, and Pyatt doesn’t really bring either of those things.

Pouliot and Eller have much better track records as scorers, and both are bigger. Neither has really been given a chance this year to play a solid 18 minutes a night for five games in a row with Gomez and Gionta and thus really get anything going. My questions is, why wasn’t this done?

In the case of Pouliot, he had a crack at it last year, and obviously the results were mixed. I would give him a fresh start though. As for Eller, with his talent I would love to see him get a legitimate chance, and this has not happened.

With all due respect to Martin – yes, I know, he’s forgotten more about hockey than any of us will ever know, and his critics are “know-nothing” imbeciles for daring to have an opinion, message received – his solution to scoring woes on the top line always seems to be to add a grinder. Well, I may know nothing, but I also know that this never works.

Pyatt is a fantastic role player: speedy, honest, hard-working, gritty. He should be a fixture in Montreal. On the third or fourth lines. It’s like casting a play: you’ve got to go with your horses. The leading actors need to be the most talented actors. There’s no-one I love more than the totally committed, hard-working types, but I’m not gonna make one of them Lady Macbeth if they don’t have the chops. They’re awesome to have as a nurse or lady-in-waiting or whatever though.

Now, obviously, sometimes you have your ultra-talented yet totally useless flakes: your Yashins, or your Malakhovs. But that’s not Eller, and not Pouliot (I think). Those guys have the skill, and JM needs to find a way to tap into it, instead of plugging holes with pluggers.

Full Breezer 4 Life

57. punkster says:

Respectfully, I’ll argue two items.

First, I’m not sure Eller was indeed “benched” in the entirely punitive sense of the word. It’s an assumption here because he didn’t play after his two errors and many here tend to jump to the conclusion that “JM can’t handle kids”. Fact is JM shortened the bench and Eller, Darche and Boyd saw little ice time. Given the roster JM played and the end result I tend to think these 3 players are the logical choice to sit in a tight game.

Second, if Eller develops a fear of making mistakes because he has been benched then he isn’t pro material. He did, indeed, make two bad errors in his 4+ minutes on the ice. He’s 21 and has a whopping 13 pro games under his belt. I imagine it won’t be the last time he gets benched for errors but he’ll learn from this and become a better player.

58. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Halpern has been a good pick-up. Anyone else impressed by his play?

59. CharlieHodgeFan says:

There’s no wrong in waving at Darche, but to waive him would not be wise. Let the young guys get the ice time they need to develop. Darche’s role is a twilight of a career one – he’s the extra wheel. He’s a veteran slotted for very little ice time to save a younger player from sitting on the bench or getting 3 minutes a game instead of 15 in Hamilton.

White’s a good player but at a few minutes per game, his toughness won’t matter. If his toughness added to experience transforms him into a third liner, then we’re cooking. The team can’t rush these guys, any more than they can give up on the young guys already up after only five games. Pyatt, Pouliot and Eller have more upside to them than White at this moment.

We’ll see White when he’s ready, unless we want a repeat of the early Price/Pacioretty ‘rush them to their doom’ scenario.

60. Mats Naslund says:

You don’t trade for Lars Eller to have him on the 4th line. Put him on #2 or #3 where he should be (and can at least be successful) or put him in Hamilton where he can score goals. We’re Sergei-ing this kid. Too soon? We’re Latendressing this kid. We’re busy ruining yet another prospect while 4th liners get shots at the top 6 to do what?? Improve the scoring? Tom Pyatt? Travis Moen? Give me a break. That ALWAYS works right? Kids will make mistakes. The good coaches are the ones who will let them make mistakes while teaching them. Pittsburgh, Washington and Chicago didn’t become elite by relegating their prospects to the fourth line. I wish I could say the same about Ottawa or Florida…..

61. Lazarus_taxa says:

Pressure???!!!!  Pressure is being on the ice in the third period to protect a 2-1 lead!!!!  Martin is just easing him into the NHL level game, not putting him into many tough situations all at once where he could fail and cost us the game.  At least thats what I see.  Martin seems to giving him minutes early, then going with the hot lines (mostly our top lines) in the third.  Sounds smart, and I’m ok with that.  We will see what happens in a game where we have a nice lead….

62. Harani says:

Benoit Pouliot better take a page out of AK46′s book because time maybe running out. He’s got the goods and I think he can get some confidence from seeing Andrei play his ass off. Benoit has to understand that he’s definitely better than Mathieu Darche or even Tom Pyatt.

And if he has after seeing AK46 the last two games, then Martin needs to give him a chance again.

“It must be love!”

63. mbplekfan says:

The handling of Pouliot is as concerning to me as the the treatment of Eller.

Give the Gomez-Gionta-Pouliot line at least a month to get it going. They arent a defensive liability. JM should leave them together long enough to figure it out for themselves.

As for Eller. He should be fourth line until xmas. He needs to see the NHL game and practice with the players. Fourth line gives him time to adjust and learn.

Rookies take time to grow. Too much pressure is not good. A few shifts per period is enough for the first few months.

64. samTHEman says:

PG, please wave Darche. He has his moments but he could be replaced with better, faster and younger talent : Ryan White to boost our bottom 6.

Dress Henry and White vs the Islanders. They`re going to try a few things :P

65. Greg says:

I don’t like Martin’s handling of Lars Eller. I’m not an NHL coach and I’m the first to admit that, but playing on a line with Gomez and Gionta not only gives that line size, but it allows Eller to learn how to play with goal scorers. I don’t think he’s effective in a bottom-6 role. I understand why he plays there because Pouliot and AK46 will take the top spots, but if they don’t, Eller has to be the #1 choice right? I thought he’s played VERY well so far, despite a few rookie mistakes.

Benching a guy every time he makes a defensive mistake doesn’t teach anything except the fear of making mistakes. That being said, why did JM move Pouliot off that line to begin with? He was playing well! When Cammy came back from his knee injury last season and was stuck in a goal scoring drought while playing well, Martin let him play, knowing the goals would come.  With Pouliot, he had 3 games where he played well and then BANG, 4th line. Martin can have talks and “explain” why he did it all day, the reality is anyone would rather play on the 1st line than the 4th, despite what he says to the media.

Thoughts?

-Gordie Howe

66. TripleX says:

If intelligence, hockey knowledge, maturity and class, were prerequisites for posting on HIO, well just say you would be shite out of luck dude.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

67. B says:

Darche’s one way contract means they pay him the same amount whether his is in Montreal or Hamilton. He can still be sent down, but would have to clear waivers. If a team took him on waivers being sent down, then he would be completely off Montreal’s roster and cap. If he were to be claimed on re-call waivers, then Montreal would pay half his salary and keep half his cap hit.

68. B says:

Gomez and Gionta need a scorer IMO, preferably one with some size. Who are you suggesting they bring up from Hamilton for the 2nd line? There is not a guy down there who averaged more goals in the NHL or AHL last season than Darche (or one who has proven to be ready to do it right now yet). There are a couple guys down there that I would not have a big problem with trying on the bottom two lines, but they have only played 2 games down there so far and I don’t see a pressing need to bring one up right now.

Other than as an emergency or a very limited shake up, I don’t think Darche is a top 6 forward. Same for Pyatt and Moen. As someone here suggested, I would rather try Lapierre there than Pyatt, but he is not a long term answer either. Pouliot and perhaps Eller are the only other 2 currently on the team that I think have a shot at it. The only player in Hamilton I might be tempted to try as a top 6 forward in Montreal now would be Desharnais, but it does not seem likely they would put him with Gomez and Gionta (it might be interesting to see, but I think Desharnais is more of a set up guy and G & G seem to need more of a shooter).

69. Hammer says:

Bring White up from the Dogs, convert him to the wing and then wave either darche or Pyatt. Habs are still too soft and need someone to dig for the other two. I like both Darche and Pyatt but White has an intangible, toughness and grit. This would probably be squashed due to cap issues.

70. B says:

if they are not going to play either pouliot or eller with gomez and gionta they should be looking at a top 6 forward in hamilton instead of a bottom 6 forward here.

The top 6 guys in Hamilton (except perhaps Desharnais as noted earlier) are currently not a better option for Montreal’s top 2 lines than the bottom 6 guys in Montreal are.

Point is,the players i listed from hamilton have more skill thendarche…

Darche is certainly not a top 6 NHL forward, but he IS a top line AHL scorer and they don’t have a better option in Hamilton right now. There is not a guy down there who averaged more goals in the NHL or AHL last season than Darche (or one who has proven to be ready to do it right now yet). If they guys currently in Hamilton can’t do any better than Darche then I just don’t see a solution down there right now. They would be better off with trying Pouliot or Eller.

71. sidhu says:

From TSN:

“Martin also said struggling defenceman Jaroslav Spacek will no longer play the right point with the man advantage, but did not say who would replace him.”

I would have:

Wave 1: AK46 (front of net), Pleks, Gio, Cammy, Subban (top of umbrella) – 1-3-1 set-up
    Wave 2: Eller (front of net), Halpern, Gomez, Gorges, Hammer – traditional 3-2 set-up

72. Castor says:

Darche has a one way contract I believe. Or does that mean he’s simply waiver eligible?

73. B says:

I think per game stats are a more realistic means of comparison than your spin, but to each their own.

I understand that it can sometimes take a while to “click”, but that said, Gomez and Gionta have played together so much that I don’t really buy an excuse that they need that much time to get used to each other again. I do agree that Gomez seems to need some time to get into the swing again, I just hope it does not take much longer. He should have more of an impact and be a lot more noticeable out there IMO.

It is a good thing that the number 1 line clicked right away again. I am very pleased with the teams results in the standings so far.

74. showey47 says:

If history repeats itself then this will be one of those moves that will probably last for about a period. Why not send darche down to hamilton and bring up a player with 2nd line potential instead of inserting a 4th liner who can skate well but has no hands? Sure darche is waiver eligible but would he really be a loss if another team claimed him? I would at least give eller a shot first before putting pyatt there.

75. TheHumanComa says:

hopefully this works, i picked gomez third in my draft and he’s doing worse they guys i picked after…

76. krob1000 says:

So…Markov? an extra precaution because of our 3-1-1 start…less urgency? given the reports last week…a setback?is Markov now becoming more human with every passing day…

77. darcy1 says:

reports in the spring were that he was going to miss 6 months.. if he’s not playing games in a month, then we’ve got something to worry about

78. pic1983 says:

Lars Eller on the 4th line? Wow, thats an effective way to use him… Might as well send him to hamilton at this point.  I really don’t like the way Jacques Martin is handling this kid.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

79. avatar_58 says:

You know as well as I do this team has no 4th line, they see just as much time as the 3rd. That’s how an effective bottom 6 works

80. adam76 says:

Half a year in Hamiltion would have been the wise move.  He would get more ice, experience.  Hes not ready for the NHL (yet).

So… almost 8 mil for Gomez… 6 or so for Gionta and they can’t get going? It’s like shelling about 60K to get a 540 series BMW and then needing a tow truck to pull it. WTF!

82. SeriousFan09 says:

Gionta’s at 5 million and he’s always good for the season, Gomez needs to take off more than anything but with Gio going, Gomez won’t be far behind.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

83. joeybarrie says:

Doesn’t Gomez have a GAME WINNING GOAL??? Didn’t Gomez set up our PP winning goal against Buffalo???

Seems to me he had his hand in winning 4 points for us this season…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

84. Richard B says:

LMAO

NICE POST

I like gomer and Gionta…but the $$$ spent on Gomez makes them both look bad and gives me the shivers every time I think about it.

Richard B

85. avatar_58 says:

Mackenzie tweets -

I don’t get the fuss about TJ Brodie wearing No. 66. If players can wear 4 (Orr) or 9 (Howe, Richard, Hull), they can wear 66.”

He has a point you know. Several of the best players numbers aren’t ‘sacred’. Personally when I see a goalie wear ’33′ I assume it’s in honour of Saint Patrick.

Maybe it’s time we stopped caring so much what number a player wears?

86. SeriousFan09 says:

Than let’s renounce the league-wide retirement of 99 and let players wear Gretzky’s number in honour of him.

Lemieux was a unique player, wearing 66 and did things no one before him did and no one has done since he played. 4 and 9 were common numbers for a long time and worn by multiple legends, so it’s not really right to retire a number in honour of one of them (maybe Orr…) but if we’re going to say 66 is fair game than pull the retirement on 99.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

87. Seps says:

That would definitely make sense considering Montreal has alot of “popular” numbers retired and theres not as much to choose from for the rookies.

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game”  - Carey Price

88. TripleX says:

Looks like Bald Auld will get a chance on the G&G line before Eller.  Moen, Darche and Pyatt?  Really JM?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

89. pic1983 says:

Amazing how all it takes for a young player is one lapse of defensive zone coverage and they’re in JM’s doghouse…

90. jimmy shaker says:

Don’t worry everybody, Marky will be back when he’s good and ready, in the mean time lets turn our thoughts to PG picking up MAB.  He’s ready to go come November and his shot on our spuddering PP is just what the doctor ordered.  Markov, Marc andre Bergeron……eh le BUT!!!!!!!!

Music to my ears from houde and public address anouncer Lacroix!

91. arcosenate says:

I think they need to get Pouliot producing and to do that they should kick start him by playing him with Plekanec and Kostitsyn. They’re just what the doctor ordered for him and he might just be able to raise his game to their level at the moment.

That leaves Cammalleri-Gionta-Gomez together.

Can’t hurt to try.

92. terrygain says:

I like  your idea better than Martin’s. One of the under appreciated aspects of AK’s game is his passing, so Pouliot would probably get a lot more scoring chances playing with him and Plex. But I would prefer that they not interfere with the 13-14-46 line and instead give Pouliot a better shot with the G-G line.

93. Jay R says:

Pouliot need to get stronger mentally to push himself to be work harder when he doesn’t have the puck.  I find that he isn’t in the right place at the right time (a fraction ahead / behind where he should be).

Leaving Pouliot on a top line when he doesn’t deserve it means that he won’t learn and push himself.  I’ve never doubted Pouliot’s scoring touch, it’s his mental toughness and ability to push himself to work hard every shift – which gets him in the flow of the game and in the right places at the right times to be effective.

I assume that the Canadiens have coaches / therapysts / etc. to work with the players to make them stronger mentally.  At the highest level, the real difference from player to player is their mental toughness, cofidence, and heart to compete.  I would think that the pros are man enought to know that they need this type of coaching to reach peak performance on a regular basis and across a multitude of situations – and if they aren’t then the Canadiens organization would mandate.  I liked what Guy Boucher brought to the table in this side of things in the Bulldogs, over top of his coaching abilities.

Jay.

25 is a nice round number…waiting patiently

94. bel33 says:

Hey all… sorry this might not be the place for this.. but I couldn’t stop laughing when I read this in Toronto’s Metro paper.  I had to go to the link:

Yes.. you too can sign up for the Mike Komisarek Clinic on Defense?!?!

Don’t know what to say….

<insert laugh track here>

95. SeriousFan09 says:

As per usual custom, Komisarek will be caught unawares and unable to attend the clinic due to bad positioning, Markov will have to fly in at the last minute and get it done.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

96. Morenz7 says:

Worse yet has been the reaction here T.O. to the Leafs OT loss to the Isles, which everyone from Wilson to the call-in mouth-breathers are blaming on the refs.

Funny how the Leafs can’t ever just lose a game. It’s always some act of hostile external forces, like poor officiating, or a hot goaltender (as if goaltending is somehow incidental to the game). I can’t tell you how many times last year I heard Wilson say he thought the Leafs were “the better team” following a loss. They were the “better team” so often, in fact, that Boston got Tyler Seguin.

97. Jay R says:

Maybe Komi can teach the kids how to injure their shoulders in a fight, run around attempting to hit everything that moves while the other team is scoring on your team, or simply having no foot speed at all (might as well wear an orange hat).

Jay.

25 is a nice round number…waiting patiently

98. Morenz7 says:

Second that. I thought Pouliot looked good toward the end of the Ottawa game, when Martin put back on the GG line. I think it’s a matter of a bounce or two now.

99. SLONCOLD says:

his game winning goal on fluery was an ugly one though…

100. Chuck says:

Meh. Ugly still counts. You’re not still a virgin if she wasn’t pretty.

Centre Hice: One fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

101. ZepFan2 says:

Or…it was the game winner, therefore it was a beauty?!

————————————————————————–

102. SLONCOLD says:

heck i’ll take any goals we score however we score them. just would be nice to see him scoring and hittign the net on quality chances and not just low percent shots; even though tht same shot/goal won a stanely cup

103. ZepFan2 says:

Agreed.

I’m hoping once all the major players pop one, the goals will start to flow.

At least that’s what I tell myself. lol

————————————————————————–

104. SLONCOLD says:

recovery from acl surgery takes 6-8 months. nothing to worry about just yet.

105. avatar_58 says:

So if you take a high number and become a star – it’s untouchable? Is ’87′ untouchable? What’s the difference between 9 and 99?

Note – *I* wouldn’t personally want to wear one of those numbers, including 33.

106. SeriousFan09 says:

To me, Lemieux is a unique, generational player who will likely never be matched, if 99 can be considered the forbidden number than extend it to the guy who in a 1-on-1 contest was his superior but didn’t get started on a dynasty team to start his career.

Otherwise, pull the retirement on 99 since Lemieux, who could outskate both Crosby and Malkin on their best day doesn’t have his being untouchable.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

107. pic1983 says:

I agree.  Gretzky accomplished a lot on star studded teams in a league where he was clearly WAY ahead of his time.  Not to take away from his accomplishments, but to retire 99 league wide, and than leave 66, 4, and 9 open to be taken by anyone is an absolute farce.

If 99 is retired, than 66 should be retired.  But IMO, there should be no league wide retirements, and if players want to pay tribute to their idols, let them wear their number.

If any basketball player can wear 23, than any hockey player should be able to wear 99.

108. pic1983 says:

Kind of hard to say.  Some games he truly looks NHL ready, but I think the lack of confidence from the coach is messing with his head a little bit.  Than again, botching your defensive coverage is easily the quickest way into JM’s doghouse.

I would certainly rather see Eller with Gomez and Gionta than Pouliot, Moen or Pyatt, but maybe a few months more in the AHL wouldn’t hurt the kid.  Get him away from jacques, and let him regain his confidence.

109. pic1983 says:

WOW, so true! I was actually watching the leafs game last night because of fantasy hockey interests on both teams, and I swear i wanted to kill the play by play guy on leafs TV.  The guy is going on and on and on about why the refs didnt go upstairs on the versteeg high stick.  I literally wanted to find a way to call in and say “HEY MORON! HE BATTED THE PUCK DOWN WITH A HIGH STICK, AND THAN TOUCHED IT WHICH RESULTS IN A STOPPAGE IN PLAY! HENCE WHY IT ISNT REVIEWABLE!”.  Amazing how me, just your average hockey fan, knows this, but a guy who gets paid a good living to know this stuff has no idea…

and than, they are sitting there debating whether or not the puck went in on the second one and wether it should count…Dude, from every angle, it didnt cross the line.  How they didnt just say “that should be no goal the puck never crossed the line” is beyond me to understand…

Everything associated with the leafs is just douchy…

110. ManApart says:

Funny how you say when toronto loses, there’s always an excuse, officiating being a huge one. I find a lot of the Montreal fans are the same way. always an excuse. Montreal fans blame unfair officiating more than any other fans I know

111. Morenz7 says:

Disagree. I think we are way more inclined to eat our own when things start going wrong. Not that that’s particularly healthy, either.

112. Gerry_j6j says:

Thank god Andrei is producing or else we would be in a terrible position.  I’m having a hard time with Pyatt on the second line while Eller is on the bottom six!

113. matraque says: