Pyatt joins No. 2 line

The search for someone to play with Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez continued today as the Canadiens returned to practice after two days off. Tom Pyatt and Mathieu Darche alternated at left wing on the line and it appears Pyatt will get a look when the Canadiens play the New Jersey Devils Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

Coach Jacques Martin has used Benoit Pouliot and Travis Moen in that spot this season and neither has been particularly effective. Pouliot lined up yesterday on the No. 3 line with Jeff Halpern and Maxim Lapierre while Moen was with Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller.

The only news to come out of the practice is that defenceman Andrei Markov will not play against the Devils. When asked when fans might expect to see him in the lineup. Markov said: “I’ll let you know.”

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Tom Pyatt

1. Mattyleg says:

I wasn’t far off, I said Lapierre.

Someone to crash the net during Gio’s shots, and someone to tie players up for Gomer’s passing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. LA Loyalist says:

On a side bar, Monsieur Breezer, don’t start tossing Shakespeare references around here on HIO unless you log on wearing your cup. The HIO natives are a tad sensitive about looking dumb.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

3. samTHEman says:

HALAK VERY MUCH! :p

although i think gomez should be g-cap….he has a monstrous cap hit :P

4. LA Loyalist says:

Yes. Any guy with such a major injury at his age is a risk, but he’s been great, and is inexpensive.

I also think his signing is a realization by our brain trust that they should have re-signed Moore but that’s no criticism of Halpern.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

5. joeybarrie says:

Per game is a good stat. HOWEVER, in my mind he is number 2 behind Crosby for players who didn’t make it into the Finals. 9th overall for the playoffs.

I also think that these guys have needed a few games to get back into the swing of things with each other. Clicking isnt done right away, and when they click they are great.

In the end we are doing very well, and look only to get better…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

6. showey47 says:

Perhaps i worded it a little wrong. My point was if they are not going to play either pouliot or eller with gomez and gionta they should be looking at a top 6  forward in hamilton instead of a bottom 6 forward here. Putting guys like pyatt and moen are setting them up to fail,boyd could be an interesting choice though. As for candidates from the hammer maxwell could play wing so he could be the first place i would look,if this team wasn’t small in our top 6 already desharnais would probably be playing in the nhl. I want maxpac to play a full injury free year in hamilton. Point is,the players i listed from hamilton have more skill thendarche, pyatt,moen or laps. Top 6 players from the hammer should only be brought up to play top 6 roles here,not 5 minutes a night 4th line roles.

7. LA Loyalist says:

I totally agree, we should play Eller and Poo early and often and in every situation. We need to know what’s up with those two, even if it costs us pain.

I don’t want to be wondering about them in March and their “potential”.

P.S. I won’t mention that Latendresse scored a pair last night in a win over Vancouver. I don’t want to get flamed.

“insert tagline here”

8. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t you know that the Smurf(tm) is a genius “puck distributor” and none of the other players would ever score if Gomez wasn’t out there on the periphery avoiding the boards and the front of the net and the other teams players, making terrific rushes nearly 2/3 of the way up the ice.

Don’t you know anything?

“test tagline: now that Price is playing well, I can get back to my main job, which is being pissed about Gomez”

9. Storm Man says:

Do you know what you’re talking about? NOPE.

10. rocketsglare says:

No doubt then, that Weber would make a significant impact on this team’s defensive corp, but the big question

is, would Nashville make the trade. Now, if Nashville can’t resign him and the Habs shed enough salary with the

departure of Hamrlik and possibly Gill at the end of this season, then yes, the Habs should seriously persue him

in free agency.

I have always held the belief that if Markov could upgrade the defensive corp by trading him, then I would look

into doing such a trade. Apparently Shea is one such player. Hopefully, he will be on the Habs wish list.

11. Storm Man says:

My line-up would be as follows.

AK46-Plex-Cammy

Lappy-G-Love-G-Cap

Poo-Eller-Boyd

Moen-Halpern-Pyatt

I like Lappy with the G-Crew as he has the speed to stay with them plus open up some space.

12. GuyDoon says:

He’s 26!? I didn’t know that. I heard him talked about as a rookie so assumed he was, well, a rookie. Maybe I’m wrong. ALthough I rarely make mistrakes….

13. twocents says:

Regardless of how’s he’s doing, it’s pointless to compare this 25 year old with 3 full pro seasons under his belt to a 21 year old Eller with one.

And, Tangradi is averaging 12 minutes a game. Hardly a key role.

14. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Totally off-topic, but does anyone have any information on adult hockey clinics or camps in or around the Montreal area? Send me a note if so.

15. twocents says:

Which two Pens’ rookies are you referring too?

16. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Pyatt is fast. Pouliot and Eller have potential, but it’s better to move softly. The team doesn’t need to anoint top six forwards – the places have to be earned. Pyatt is a young player, like Eller and Pouliot, and should have a crack at seeing if he can raise his game. I expect the job will, in the end, go to Eller or Pouliot, and I expect both can be good players. That being said, Pyatt is one hell of a young player to have around.

For those ready to throw Pouliot under the bus – He’s the same draft year as Price, with flashes of brilliance and long stretches of less than brilliance. He’s a young player who, if I remember correctly, had some AHL time last year. He’s not an old vet not panning out, but a kid with potential. Give him some slack. Eller is out of the minors – he too will take some time. Ditto for Pyatt. Good players all, but not as good as we hope they’ll become.

17. joeybarrie says:

Actually, We have room to make a move. Whomever we DEMOTE or trade will come off the cap and we have an extra 750k to put into it… For instance. Trading Benny at the deadline for someone will enable us to take on a 2.1 million dollar salary like Drew Stafford from Buffalo…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. joeybarrie says:

It’s tough for me to consider a guy who will be 26 in a few months a Rookie. But he has done well. Wonder why he never got called up before?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. B says:

I think the key is having some cheap players. These days, a player does not have to be young to be cheap. Many experienced players are signing for cheaper than a lot of ELCs.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Pens will take anyone with hockey equipment who can find their way to the Consol Energy Center when it comes to taking applications for their team Triple, their wing support for Evgeni Malkin has been a farce for years and it’s barely better for Crosby since they’ve got Dupuis on his wing a fair bit and signed head-case Comrie because no one would have him. They have 35.4 million locked up in their 1-2-3 centers, their top 2 defencemen and Fleury, they need anyone cheap to fill the holes on their roster, the only winger they have making north of 2 million is Chris Kunitz.

One of those rookies will be getting less time as well the second Jordan Staal is cleared for action as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. samTHEman says:

I thought Eller was the obvious back-up incase AK or Pouliot choke. What’s with JM? Why hasn’t he tried Eller with G-G yet? Moen…now Pyatt…when will he understand that these guys, although posess great characteristics, grit and size for Moen and speed for Pyatt, do not belong on the top 6. Play Eller with G-G if Pouliot doesn’t break through. Period.

Trade: Hamr, Spacek. Free up cap space and pick up a D like Bieksa would be great.

Ideally i’d like to see these lines:

AK-Plek-Cam

Pouliot – G – G

Lapierre – Eller – Boyd

Moen – Halpern – Pyatt

If pouliot isn’t scoring, bring up Eller to take his spot, bring down Pouliot on the 3rd with Boyd in between them (or halpern)

22. adamkennelly says:

this is the same guy who was scratched last game right?????   I like Pyatt – no way I play Darche instead of him ever but he is not a top 6 F.

its obvious this team does not have a player who should be in that role – and PG needs to go out and get one.  Only way to do that is to move CAP space – prolly in the form of a Spacek or Hammer and only way to do that is to toss in some serious prospects and/or draft picks.

23. B says:

We all know that Gomez is overpaid, a setup guy, and not a goal scorer. Nothing new there. Yes he is a good 2nd line center, but I think his ability for assists has been a bit over rated lately. His .63 assists per game last playoffs were certainly helpful, but I don’t know about being “GREAT”. He was ranked him 36th in that stat last playoffs. I would say good, but not great. Indeed I have seen him often fly through the neutral zone, but you are correct, he is not perfect and he is just as likely to hang on too long and loose it (or force a bad pass) than he is to set up and make a play. Still, his speed with the puck can be a very useful weapon, arguably his best one. I have not noticed him flying through the neutral zone that much in these first few games though. Gomez is a slow starter and perhaps reducing his ice time would have no impact on that, he may just be that way and one has to just put up with it to get to the times when he has more of an impact.

24. GuyDoon says:

I believe the name’s Letestu. He has as many goals on the year as Crosby (4). He’s the kid who scored the second Pen’s goal in Pitts; the one more commonly known in these parts as “the softly”.

25. TomNickle says:

That highstick was 100% intentional.

I know through a former junior teammate of Williams’.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

They have the defence for most years, but lack the offensive firepower to do so IMO. It’s nothing against NSH I just don’t think any team can reasonably contend unless they are free to spend to the cap and NSH most years is short on scoring forwards. Weber won’t command Kovalchuk-level cash but in terms of impact blue liners, he’s as big a name at the back end as Kovalchuk is at the front.

If Koivu hadn’t gotten a stick in his eye, MTL could’ve knocked off the 2006 Cup champs as well, but we didn’t.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. pic1983 says:

I get the sense that you’re not so familiar with Shea weber, so let me break it down for you.  Shea Weber vs. Andrei Markov straight up:

Younger? Check.

Stronger? Double Check

Mobile? Equally

Physical? Quadruple Check! (and thats probably still an understatement)

If he played anywhere other than nashville. where hockey actually matters, everyone would know who he is.  Thats how good he is.

28. TomNickle says:

Stop it Joey.  You’re going to make all of the haters heads explode.

29. joeybarrie says:

Which 2 rookies are you talking about? I haven’t been watching their games, but i only know of Tangradi.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. bwoar says:

1. Price bashers are out of ammo for now.

2. AK46 bashers are out of ammo for now.

3. Coach is always the goat when things are going well otherwise.  Look at all the hate for Carbo during his one great season.

31. pic1983 says:

Is that really a thought? because I thought it was obvious hahah

Dude, Shea Weber is exactly what the habs are missing.  A right-hand shot, bruising, two-way defensemen that can pound the opposition forwards into submission with a bonecrushing hit or blast a bomb right through the opposing teams net (literally).  Not to mention that when the game is on the line, he’s your guy.

I love Markov, hes an unbelieveable talent, and probably the most underrated defenseman in the NHL, but Shea Weber is probably, in my opinion at least, one of the best defenders in the NHL.

They would never trade markov straight up for Shea weber, and I would say that the odds of markov signing in nashville are slim to none.  Im sure Nashville will break the bank for shea weber, as defensemen of his caliber and skill-set are the rarest commodity in the NHL.

32. joeybarrie says:

ALSO QUITE COMICAL TO ME….

JM not giving younsters a chance on the lines…. IS PYATT 39????

Is it possible that maybe Pyatt has done good things to earn himself a promotion?

We keep going on about Eller, Pouliot etc etc… WHAT ABOUT PYATT?

As for youth not getting a chance????? We have SIX players playing GOOD minutes on our team.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. TomNickle says:

Would you call the tying goal in game one against the Capitals a big time play?

How about the two assists he got in game two of the Pittsburgh series that evened things up on the road?

How about two points on our only two goals against the Flyers in an elimination game?

Two assists in the final game of the season where we needed a point to clinch a playoff spot?

34. TomNickle says:

I love everything about Habs management?

You have a lot of growing up to do.

Apparently you haven’t read that I wanted Henry to start the season with the Habs, that I wanted Pacioretty to start with the Habs or that I wanted to see Turco signed instead of Auld.

I guess you didn’t read that I wanted Rick Dudley as our new General Manager back before Gauthier was hired or that I wanted Dave Tippet as our head coach prior to Martin being hired.

Does Gauthier have room to send players to the AHL?  Yep.  Cap room is something you can make with roster moves.  If he chooses not to, it’s because of consequences and player development.  This team currently has just shy of $800k in cap room.