PuckCast Vol 2, No. 9 [Podcast]

It’s PuckCast No. 9 of the season, featuring Gazette sportswriters Pat Hickey and Dave Stubbs, I/O blogger Mike Boone and moderator Kevin Mio. On this week’s menu: the miserable Toronto Maple Leafs; Habs coach Guy Carbonneau’s line-shuffling; the size of the Canadiens up front; the return on Saturday of former Hab Radek Bonk, with Nashville; and Andrei Markov – all-star to be?

The PuckCast | Download it now
RSS
| Add the PuckCast to your RSS reader
iTunes | Add the PuckCast to iTunes

1. vic says:

Toronto radio is predicting a leaf win by 3-1 also some as high as 7-2
    please Habs shut them up

2. Kevin says:

The powerplay is still good without Souray for one main reason: its Kovalev who’s the key to the powerplay. He is the only player on this team that gets space and respect when he gets the puck during the PP. Why Carbo doesn’t change things up and put out Koivu/Kovalev together on the PP when its not doing so well (as with against the Sabres), I will never understand. Being predictable is not what keeps the opposition on its toes during a penalty!

3. mjames says:

A few comments on the Puck Cast

(1) How can Hickey and Carbo say they do not know what is wrong with the team. Did they not see the game on Saturday – Try not playing as a five man unit, no forecheck, no backchecking, inability to clear the puck in the defensive zone. Come on guys watch the game.

(2) How can Hickey say that Grabs has most likely had his chance with the Habs? The kid has played about 10 games. Remember St Louis and Briere were both waived by their teams. Just what we need – give up on a potential St Louis and Briere. Someone has to teach the kid how to play tougher so he does not get pushed off the puck. St Louis, Briere and Peron have learned how.

(3) If I am Sergei Kostitsyn I would be bummed also. How come his former teammates Kane and Gagne play in the NHL and Kostitsyn who was rated as more NHL ready can not get a chance with an offensively challenged team. It must be so discouraging knowing that you will never get a chance with the Habs and if you do get called up you get maybe three games to prove yourself.

(4) A very sad commentary on our farm system when the best offensive threat to use in place of Ryder is Lats. Sad very sad. Give the guys on the farm a chance. Give them the same chance as Lats has been given. (Yea right!)

mjames

4. krob1000 says:

The most upsetting thin about this site is that I can never hear the podcast as our corporate filtering software doesn’t allow me to access it. Please folks follow up so I can get the jist of what goes on because I always feel like I have missed out.

5. Dave Stubbs says:

Wouldn’t that be like giving away the end of a great book or a brilliant movie? OK, I exaggerate. But can’t you hear it at home, or download it for listening later? (And you’re not going to tell us you spend only your work hours at Inside/Out… are you?)

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

6. krob1000 says:

My home PC is ridiculously slow so that is why I post during the day 99 percent of the time. Not to mention I am a heck of a lot busier at home lol.

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Who is the gentleman who quoted Carb?

8. Cable Guy says:

Sergei K deserves to be up with our club right now. He’s the leading scorer in Hamilton, he was one of the best players in London last year playing with Sam Gagner and Patrick Kane who are BOTH in the NHL and playing well, especially Kane. We need offense, why not try this kid out? What the reason not too?

9. Bill H says:

Cable Guy: I too am anxious for some scoring power, and also a little bit frustrated that other picks that were drafted the same year as some of our prospects are doing well in the NHL while Canadiens’ picks are still “maturing” in Hamilton. Kane and Gagner are 2 good examples. However, the reason not to is this: the Hamilton coach says Kostitsyn is not ready for the NHL, that his effort is not there consistently. The coaches, with the input of Gainey I am sure, decided that Grabovski and Chipchura were a better fit for the team and more ready for the NHL. I don’t think it is good for the team to be yanking prospects back and forth between Hamilton and Montreal every time we hit a 2 game slump.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I am just stating why he probably isn’t playing already in Montreal. I hope and expect that Kostitsyn will get his chance when someone is injured, or if the downward slide continues.

Kostitsyn, as you know, has 19 points in 17 games…not bad for a rookie. But only 5 of those points are goals. I would be more comfortable with Kostitsyn playing with the Canadiens right away if he more goals, which is what we need. The boys are getting their chances. Its more that they aren’t converting their chances into goals.

I hope Kostitsyn makes the team soon and has great success. I am only suggesting that there are reasons he has not been promoted, and that people who are very knowledgeable and also see Kostitsyn playing every day say he isn’t ready. So I guess I am preaching a little bit of patience, and calm. We’ll get there.

10. The Teacher says:

I still can’t get it either Dave, not being able to hear it. I’d really love a way for you guys to get it scripted and then posted on-site after you’re done finishing up the overhaul of the site.

11. gumper says:

The Habs need their captain to step up tomorrow night. When the ship is drifting the captain needs to take the helm. If we see another unfocused effort from Saku on Tuesday, we might as well mail in the two points. Losing two in a row is no big deal… unless you lose two in a row through a heartless lack of effort. Don’t mean to be overly dramatic, but Tuesday’s game against the leafs is a pivotal game.

12. Connecticut Man1 says:

I am not sure why you are all so worried about offense when the Habs are in 7th place as far as GFA and overall goals for. Yep! A couple of high scoring games may have bloated those numbers a bit but the same can be said for every team.

Meanwhile, with a GAA that ranks 13th and GA that ranks 15th, everyone is squawking about the offense. Go figure?

They are not Ottawa, Detroit or Carolina, nor are they the flying Frenchmen of years past. And the team, overall, is performing pretty respectably considering all of the young kids in the lineup.

13. linp says:

I am shock to hear that Carbo didn’t know what is wrong with the team. Did he watch the tape to see how Baffalo plays? They didn’t fire those low quality shots. They took the time to set-up a tip in or a one-timer. If there is no traffic in front of the net, the player just carries the puck to the back of the net and waits for support. That is smart hockey. A high quality shot is when the goalie is either out of position, didn’t see the puck well or at very close range. Baffalo doesn’t have more skillful players than our team but they play a smarter system.

14. Kevin says:

Anyone see the Philly/Boston game? The NHL has to do something. Either that, or the other NHL teams have to start playing nasty with Philly. Something needs to be done… this is just too sad.