Puck Pundits Make Predictions

From NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

It’s preview time in the N.H.L. when many of those who watch the
league for a living dispense their wisdom before the first puck is
dropped. Not everyone has released their thoughts on the upcoming season
as of yet; TSN for example, won’t telecast their preview show until
Wednesday.

Still, a number of leading observers have made their views public and
here is a cross-section of them. We’ll tell you what the predictions
are, but it’s a good exercise to watch, listen or read the reasoning of
these folks and learn why they think what they do. Try to stomach the
commercial interruptions in the videos and instead digest the
information overload from all these hockey analysts. It will help you
get ready for the 2010-11 season.

At Sports Illustrated.com, Michael Farber and Sarah Qwak break down
the league division by division and discuss some of the big issues
surrounding Ilya Kovalchuk, the Canadiens’ goaltending question, the
pressure on the Capitals, the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup hangover, the
Flames bringing some old faces back and the Sharks’ new goalies. Here
are their thoughts in videos on the

Atlantic Division, where they like Pittsburgh, the

Northeast Division, where they both like the Bruins, the

Southeast Division, the

Central Division, where they lean toward the Red Wings, the

Northwest Division, where Vancouver is their pick, and the

Pacific Division, where San Jose is their choice.

Yahoo’s excellent Puck Daddy blog has been rolling out team preview
posts for a while and they

are all linked to this page.

Here’s the ESPN.com
preview page
… and here’s
the page
with all the predictions from six of their hockey
analysts, telling you who will win each division, who will win the
conference championships, who will win the Stanley Cup and even who will
win the major individual awards. Also on that page is video of the
comedy team of Barry Melrose and E. J. Hradek going through their shtick
to tell you why Melrose thinks the Canucks will win the Stanley Cup.
And if you like that, you can watch those two and also Hradek and
Matthew Barnaby give their thoughts on the
Atlantic Division
(Melrose likes the Devils), the
Northeast Division
(Barnaby likes the Bruins), the
Southeast
(Melrose likes the Caps and likes them to win the East), the
Central Division
(Barnaby likes the Red Wings), the
Northwest Division
(Melrose likes the Canucks) and the
Pacific Division
(Barnaby likes the Sharks).

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Puck Pundits Offer Predictions”>>

1. punkster says:

My love for dear Bugs is unending
    But my wish to share rooms is descending.
    He’s a wonderful bloke
    A most capital folk
    But his attitude quite condescending.

(Edit: Bugs, no offence intended :)

2. Clay4bc says:

Thanks man – noted! Got a little ahead of myself there. I have the same right to make myself look stupis as does anyone else…

__________________________

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to make yourself look stupid.

3. G-Man says:

Better correct that last line. “right to say make?”

4. habsperspective says:

NAH, but Dandeneault coming out of retirement, that I see!!!

5. Clay4bc says:

Yes…and we made the playoffs by one whole point! TSN couldn’t have been more wrong, really.

However, I agree with your premise, and almost all of your post. Just had to make the point, is all.

__________________________

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say make yourself look stupid.

6. christophor says:

I think Pillsbury has better things to say about hockey.

7. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

Where, KHL? Swedish Elite League? lol, that experiment is over with (Thank God)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Anyone taken as an individual is tolerably sensible and reasonable — as a
    member of a crowd, he at once becomes a blockhead.
    —Friedrich Von Schiller

8. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what tsn says, if i remember correctly (correct me if i am wrong) tsn said the habs would’ve missed the playoffs last year, i wouldn’t read too much into what “experts” say… always remember this, you really can’t take a network too seriously anymore (tsn?) once they go out and hire mike milbury, the second I see milbury’s face on tv i instantly turn away, you can become severely mentally ill if you have to sit and listen to what milbury has to say about hockey.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take Seabrook over Komisarek but it is pretty much what it is for Montreal, a good 2nd-pair player being matched up with a Top-5 NHL defencemen and being boosted because of it, it’s insane how highly Seabrook is in the fantasy rankings.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. Da Hema says:

:-)

Makes about as much sense as those crafted by our beloved Bugzed….

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

11. Muckbringer says:

we shall thanks givr’

12. andrewberkshire says:

TSN ranking Seabrook above Markov is certainly one of the most lol-worthy things they’ve ever done. Seabrook is the Komisarek to Keith’s Markov. He’s a good player, but nowhere near elite in the NHL.

13. Muckbringer says:

it is what it is i guess….

14. Da Hema says:

I’m no expert, but it does seem to me that teams which trade players like Russ Courtnall straight up for players like John Kordic, or sacrifice two juicy first-round draft picks for a quick fix player, will probably suck.

Just speculating here….

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

15. JD_ says:

Waitin’ for the games to resume
    Can’t happen a moment too soom
    Yes, I made up a new word
    A bad back for Larry Bird
    The two of you should get a room

16. OneTimer says:

again with the MAB? That joke stopped being funny 8 months ago, time for some new material… Didn’t they ban you, btw? <3

17. PrimeTime says:

No Halak either……

McGuire was his usual loudmouth douchie self.

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

18. gK_HabsFan says:

TSN just did a top 50 nhl players for this year… anddddd

No Markov… No Cammy… No Pleks!

-GK-

19. habaholic68NJ says:

Which team?

20. habs4ever2894 says:

There’s something that i just realized , although we made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons we still managed to obtain/draft two very good prospects ready to make a big impact for our team this season . while the Leafs who have missed the playoffs 5 years straight have not one rookie ready to make any sort of contribution. How does that happen? I really think that franchise is cursed and i couldn’t be happier!

21. punkster says:

That would be nice.

22. punkster says:

There’ll never be peace over coaching
    As long as Stevie Y’s poaching.
    We rag on Jack Marty
    We think Boucher’s a smarty,
    And our goalie’s a subject worth broaching.

23. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Another Habs fan from Newfoundland living in Toronto? How about that!

24. SeriousFan09 says:

I can’t make this stuff up Triple, you’d think in Canada we’d have a law requiring street hockey.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I will make one prediction. MAB will be signed before the trade deadline.

26. TripleX says:

I was going to respond with ” are you serious”, but then I realized we are talking about Toronto.  Talk about Nanny State in action, no wonder they despise Alberta.  xD

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

4) Timo doesn’t get banned

Now, THAT’s a bold prediction.

28. otter649 says:

You’re right (after checking youtube) – It was not a slash but a shot to the head but still a cheap shot……..

I like it. Much more interesting than line combos and it so apropos given that we’re between the end of pre-season and the start of the regular one.

My 5 bold italics predictions:

1) I stick with the same avatar all year and never pull out a tank.

2) Bugs becomes sane.

3) The Habs lead the North East division all season and it eradicates the troll infestation.

4) Timo doesn’t get banned.

5) Yeats only posts as himself.

30. JIMVINNY says:

wonk wonk wonk.

No Halak, no problem.

31. MikeMcLaren says:

HAHAHAHAHA – I absolutely did mean Calder.

Wow, Freudian slip.  Not even I’m that optimistic!

LOL

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

32. mike g says:

OOOooooooookay….

I’m just gonna go outside, light a louisville slugger, and then come back and read your predictions.

Maybe, just maybe then I’ll believe them. lol.

ps- I really hope you’re right.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

33. Bugs says:

For my new friend Emmy:

There once was a coach called Jack Marty

Who mouthed his clichés hale’n’hearty

Ignorin the fac’

That without Jay Halak,

He’d be the next shmuck at the party.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

There is a game ticket available for the Summit, First come ,first serve,

NEWS FLASH

Bob
    Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his
    daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the
    invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

I think you mean Calder voting on No. 2, unless this is your jab at the AHL Rookie Award voting, which I’m still annoyed with, good enough to be a 1st-team All-Star D in the AHL but not good enough to be Rookie of the Year, show me the logic.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

It was Havlat and it was Cammalleri’s arm/elbow to Havlat’s head after a faceoff…but same kind style ..a one sided lashing out

37. MikeMcLaren says:

Five crazy predictions for the coming season:

1. Despite a number of “just scraping in” or “just falling out” of hand-wringing, the Canadiens win the Northeast division title.

2. P.K. Subban will get in two fights.  He’ll win them both. Oh, and finish second in Norris trophy voting to surprise candidate Tyler Ennis.

3. The Habs will have 4, 30+ goal scorers.

4. Carey Price will finish in the top 5 of one or more of the following: W, SV%, GAA

5. Roman Hamrlik will not lead the team in delay of game penalties for firing the puck over the glass.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

38. larisalapointe says:

hahaha, quantum physics not my strong suit, but I am amused! And that was my point too. Nobody knows what’s going to happen until we all watch the games.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs nation, ‘the center of the hockey universe’ and they have a bylaw against street hockey.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. samTHEman says:

meh…just for fun i’ll try to predict who will score the most goals in order this season

1. Gionta

2. Cammalleri

3. Plekanec

4. Kostitsyn

5. Eller

6. Pouliot

7. Subban

8. Gomez

9. Boyd

41. MikeMcLaren says:

I hope you’re right, I’d love them to go back to the future of 07-08 when they led the league in GF.  If they can get that going – and who knows, maybe with PK they can do that – then absolutely that’s possible.

(Full disclosure, I took Eller in my hockey pool as my designated rookie, so I *really* hope you’re right)

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

42. MikeMcLaren says:

dbl post

43. Da Hema says:

I’ll make one prediction:

1. Posters on Habsinsideout will make wild predictions.

But I hope your predictions come true!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

44. TripleX says:

Toronto and party is a big oxymoron.

Leafs and party is a stupendous oxymoron.

Toronto take the prize as the most anal retentive city in Canada, with a billion bylaws.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

45. andrewberkshire says:

40 points isn’t that outrageous for a good 3rd line center with PP time. I think he could do it even without extended top 6 minutes.

46. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good point.

I think Pouliot might score 25, but he will get 40-45 points. He’ll get his part on the 3rd line and Eller will get his chances on top 2 lines as well.

47. MikeMcLaren says:

Can #1 and #4 co-exist?

Is it more likely we’ll see Eller flourish if AK46 or Pouliot (hopefully not both) flounder?

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

48. _Habsoloutly_ says:

looks like the live draft was changed to tomorrow night.

49. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well, Seriousfan09 started it… I am going to continue the trend haha.

My 4 Fearless Predictions:

1. Lars Eller cracks the 40 point plateau.

2. Cammalleri scores 35+ goals.

3. Subban gets 40+ points.

4. AK46 and Pouliot score 25+ each.

50. Just A Guy says:

I think it was the early 1900’s when a Physicist named Erwin (?) Schrodinger came up with a thougth experiment that was based on a probabalistic event that could only be verified by observing either the after effects of an event, or the event itself. Diaoblically, he figured a theoretical poisoning of a cat would be the best way to express his ideas on what is described as entaglement: the idea that you can’t know the outcome of an event until you actually observe it.

Using the habs success/failure seems much better to me though, and it doesn’t involve accusations of being a psycopath and calls to PETA.

(edit: since you get it ignore this post as some form of pontification and only as a source of amusment)

51. otter649 says:

Not the first time Cammalleri used his stick on someone – As a Calgary Flame he chopped someone pretty good off a faceoff , I think it may have been Martin Havlat………..

52. Harditya_CareyPrice says: