Puck Pundits Make Predictions

From NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

It’s preview time in the N.H.L. when many of those who watch the
league for a living dispense their wisdom before the first puck is
dropped. Not everyone has released their thoughts on the upcoming season
as of yet; TSN for example, won’t telecast their preview show until
Wednesday.

Still, a number of leading observers have made their views public and
here is a cross-section of them. We’ll tell you what the predictions
are, but it’s a good exercise to watch, listen or read the reasoning of
these folks and learn why they think what they do. Try to stomach the
commercial interruptions in the videos and instead digest the
information overload from all these hockey analysts. It will help you
get ready for the 2010-11 season.

At Sports Illustrated.com, Michael Farber and Sarah Qwak break down
the league division by division and discuss some of the big issues
surrounding Ilya Kovalchuk, the Canadiens’ goaltending question, the
pressure on the Capitals, the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup hangover, the
Flames bringing some old faces back and the Sharks’ new goalies. Here
are their thoughts in videos on the

Atlantic Division, where they like Pittsburgh, the

Northeast Division, where they both like the Bruins, the

Southeast Division, the

Central Division, where they lean toward the Red Wings, the

Northwest Division, where Vancouver is their pick, and the

Pacific Division, where San Jose is their choice.

Yahoo’s excellent Puck Daddy blog has been rolling out team preview
posts for a while and they

are all linked to this page.

Here’s the ESPN.com
preview page
… and here’s
the page
with all the predictions from six of their hockey
analysts, telling you who will win each division, who will win the
conference championships, who will win the Stanley Cup and even who will
win the major individual awards. Also on that page is video of the
comedy team of Barry Melrose and E. J. Hradek going through their shtick
to tell you why Melrose thinks the Canucks will win the Stanley Cup.
And if you like that, you can watch those two and also Hradek and
Matthew Barnaby give their thoughts on the
Atlantic Division
(Melrose likes the Devils), the
Northeast Division
(Barnaby likes the Bruins), the
Southeast
(Melrose likes the Caps and likes them to win the East), the
Central Division
(Barnaby likes the Red Wings), the
Northwest Division
(Melrose likes the Canucks) and the
Pacific Division
(Barnaby likes the Sharks).

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Puck Pundits Offer Predictions”>>

1. Muckbringer says:

ryder reclaims 79……

2. king ddd says:

6. last but not least… Moen knocks out boogard!

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

3. Muckbringer says:

3 so’s…..warriors!!!!come out and play!!!!!

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, is there no Live Draft for this league? If this thing is going to be auto-draft only I’m pulling out.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. Malreg says:

Ugh… The commish changed it to an autopick draft.

6. Muckbringer says:

leafs get blanked by us in first round????

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, Five Bold Predictions for the Habs this season folks, go nuts.

1. Andrei Kostitsyn cracks the 30 goal barrier this season.

2. Tomas Plekanec goes over 80 points.

3. P.K. Subban leads the defence in goals with 16, cracking the team record for scoring by a rookie defencemen held by Guy Lapointe.

4. Scott Gomez goes over 55 assists.

5. Andrei Markov finally makes it as a Norris finalist.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. Wemindji_Habsfan says:

Go Habs Go

9. Wemindji_Habsfan says:

Go Habs Go

10. Muckbringer says:

brampton mlight make it happen..

11. larisalapointe says:

I get it, I think. lol

12. Just A Guy says:

Until you actually watch the games; Schroedinger can only help you so far. I go with the cat not dieing, personally.

13. punkster says:

How dare you call me an aber-wachamathingy…you smooth operator you.

14. Danno says:

The white is good for the middle. Now all he/she needs is to have the ends tinted red and blue.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

15. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

Don’t worry about Price…one safe prediction for Thursday-Cammalleri won’t help the team …. worry about him maybe rather than Price this season…Cammalleri’s behavior was a real exhibition and he may never be the same in Montreal after those stick swings in the eyes of some of his fans and teammates.

16. Mr-T says:

WOW…An unemotional and rational thinker, often an aberration on this forum.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

17. larisalapointe says:

Since it’s prediction night, Habs will lose/win. Will make/won’t make playoffs. Price will suck/won’t suck.

There I’m bound to be right.lol

18. Just A Guy says:

Shenanigans!

19. Muckbringer says:

that dog needs color….but which?

20. Muckbringer says:

what ever happened to the short pads?  may that be why goalies are adjusting?

21. punkster says:

But if he lets in 5 or 6 and we win? Or if he only lets in 1 or 2 and we lose? Or if we don’t get “routed”? Or if he lets in none and we win big? Or if we win a close one in OT? Or in a SO? What would all those possibilities prove? Point being there are so many ways it could go and not one of them can be claimed to be the turning point of the season. It’s game one. How about we let it play out before panicking. OK? :)

22. PrimeTime says:

and if Price allows 1 goal or gets a shutout it will be because “it’s only the Leafs” and most comments will be held back until his 1st bad loss.

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

23. punkster says:

There! That oughta tie him in knots.

24. punkster says:

Then you’re gonna hate this one:

We look forward to the season with glee,
    And we’re excited for sure but we plea;
    Show us speed, heart and diligence
    Strong offence and defence
    And we’ll give out a cheer, whoopee.

25. Mr-T says:

Your right, if you are referring to 12th to 20th placement. The reality is that PG failed to make the necessary changes and Auld instead of Halak is not an equal trade-off. They probably go out in the first round, if they make the playoffs, although there are just too many variables with this team, starting with Martin whose philosophy and antiquated coaching style is not ideally suited to these players. The Habs will continue to be a group of underachievers as long as he remains.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

26. SeriousFan09 says:

With a handful of AHL games on his resume, Mayer will have a ways to go before he’s an NHL netminder.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. habs youngtimer says:

we all know, that if Price lets in 5 or 6 Tursday, and habs get routed, people will start to panic. not because they lost the game, but because we’re pinning all our hopes on a goalie who proven nothing!

kind of scary, don’t you agree?

we’re nervous because we don’t have a decent backup. but from what I heard, Mayer could end up being the backup, and if Price falters, he could become the #1 goalie, like Halak did.

28. samTHEman says:

i might want that ticket. check your inbox please. thanks

29. Bugs says:

(edit)

Aah, nevermind.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

30. Bugs says:

Ummm, no. I WON’T quit posting what you call gibberish (since you seem to either be unaware of what the word gibberish means, or worse, you’re unable to make out English words). I won’t, Emmy.

How does that sound?

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

31. sholi2000.com says:

I was actually counting on him going Ian.  I just want to thank him.  To go through everything he has and still have the energy to work for the Habs, you know he loves this team!!

They Call Me Shane

32. SoupStrainerMcPhee says:

I agree with your line of thinking on most of points and would only add that I think Plekanec will be better than last year (at least in total points) and I think someone will come up from the farm this year, due to injury during the season and impress the hell out of us.

I hope Desharnais gets a chance to shine in a habs uniform.  If only for a short while.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

That is crazy awesome just as a possibility.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. Mr-T says:

Is that from a realist or an optimist. More subjective then objective or is it some sort of attempt at humor!

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

There is a game ticket available for the Summit, First come ,first serve,

NEWS FLASH

Bob
    Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his
    daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the
    invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

36. Malreg says:

I’m in!  I’ve never done a Head-to-Head before, so it should be fun.  Does drafting strategy change at all compared to just a points league?

37. rocketsglare says:

I predict the Habs will compete and remain competitive throughout the season and will make

the playoffs. Price will have a solid year, but will have stretches where he will struggle. Other’s

that I predict to have solid seasons will be Kostitsyn and Lapierre. I predict Eller will be a plea-

sant surprise this season.

I know I made many predictions, but based on the talent and potential of these players to pro-

duce, they are due this season and I have a good feeling that they will not disappoint us.

What do you guys think?

38. RiverviewCanadien says:

Hate it when people do what? I never said it was an amazing goal…it was clever nonetheless and shows that Mayer can’t POKE check!

39. Malreg says:

Agreed, I hate it whenever people do that.  Just makes me want to hit them lol

As a goalie though, if you see some one do that all you have to do is lie down across the net, since you can’t lift the puck like that.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, it’s very nice stickhandling but it’s vulnerable to a poke check, I doubt if Mayer faces this guy again he’ll let him slip it through.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. captaink4life says:

Yah I’ve seen it already. Really not as impressive as everyone is making it out to be…

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

42. SeriousFan09 says:

This makes No. 4 for me as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Gorges_the_great says:

Easy. That would be a headshot perpetrated by a star player.

44. andrewberkshire says:

How many leagues are you in this year? I’m in 4 and I think that’s the most I want haha.

45. andrewberkshire says:

I already clicked the names so I can’t guess because I cheated… But let’s get ready to kick some Leaf ass.

46. The M says:

haha that is awesome Ian. yes chuck’s wife will owe you!

47. The M says:

quite possibly the dumbest comment i’ve ever read. quit posting gibberish, please.

48. _Habsoloutly_ says:

see if you can guess the name of my team.  =)

49. habsfansince91 says:

I’m curious to know what the league considers a legal headshot.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

What’s 1 more league and the chance to knock around some Loafs fans? I’m in.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. RiverviewCanadien says:

Anyone catch this goal on Robert Mayer?

52. andrewberkshire says:

Good stuff James, and good luck.

53. andrewberkshire says:

Anybody wanna whup some Leaf fans asses in a yahoo pool? League ID# 73554, password is habssuck. Make him eat his words, draft is at 10pm eastern time today.