Puck Pundits Make Predictions

From NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

It’s preview time in the N.H.L. when many of those who watch the
league for a living dispense their wisdom before the first puck is
dropped. Not everyone has released their thoughts on the upcoming season
as of yet; TSN for example, won’t telecast their preview show until
Wednesday.

Still, a number of leading observers have made their views public and
here is a cross-section of them. We’ll tell you what the predictions
are, but it’s a good exercise to watch, listen or read the reasoning of
these folks and learn why they think what they do. Try to stomach the
commercial interruptions in the videos and instead digest the
information overload from all these hockey analysts. It will help you
get ready for the 2010-11 season.

At Sports Illustrated.com, Michael Farber and Sarah Qwak break down
the league division by division and discuss some of the big issues
surrounding Ilya Kovalchuk, the Canadiens’ goaltending question, the
pressure on the Capitals, the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup hangover, the
Flames bringing some old faces back and the Sharks’ new goalies. Here
are their thoughts in videos on the

Atlantic Division, where they like Pittsburgh, the

Northeast Division, where they both like the Bruins, the

Southeast Division, the

Central Division, where they lean toward the Red Wings, the

Northwest Division, where Vancouver is their pick, and the

Pacific Division, where San Jose is their choice.

Yahoo’s excellent Puck Daddy blog has been rolling out team preview
posts for a while and they

are all linked to this page.

Here’s the ESPN.com
preview page
… and here’s
the page
with all the predictions from six of their hockey
analysts, telling you who will win each division, who will win the
conference championships, who will win the Stanley Cup and even who will
win the major individual awards. Also on that page is video of the
comedy team of Barry Melrose and E. J. Hradek going through their shtick
to tell you why Melrose thinks the Canucks will win the Stanley Cup.
And if you like that, you can watch those two and also Hradek and
Matthew Barnaby give their thoughts on the
Atlantic Division
(Melrose likes the Devils), the
Northeast Division
(Barnaby likes the Bruins), the
Southeast
(Melrose likes the Caps and likes them to win the East), the
Central Division
(Barnaby likes the Red Wings), the
Northwest Division
(Melrose likes the Canucks) and the
Pacific Division
(Barnaby likes the Sharks).

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Puck Pundits Offer Predictions”>>

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Too late to add on but I meant to suggest that everyone else make 5 predictions as well.

2. Mikey_39 says:

I hope so…not only because I love the habs, but also because I have Kostitsyn, Plecky, and Subban in my hockey pool.

3. Muckbringer says:

ryder reclaims 79……

4. king ddd says:

6. last but not least… Moen knocks out boogard!

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

5. Muckbringer says:

3 so’s…..warriors!!!!come out and play!!!!!

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, is there no Live Draft for this league? If this thing is going to be auto-draft only I’m pulling out.

7. Malreg says:

Ugh… The commish changed it to an autopick draft.

8. Muckbringer says:

leafs get blanked by us in first round????

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, Five Bold Predictions for the Habs this season folks, go nuts.

1. Andrei Kostitsyn cracks the 30 goal barrier this season.

2. Tomas Plekanec goes over 80 points.

3. P.K. Subban leads the defence in goals with 16, cracking the team record for scoring by a rookie defencemen held by Guy Lapointe.

4. Scott Gomez goes over 55 assists.

5. Andrei Markov finally makes it as a Norris finalist.

10. Wemindji_Habsfan says:

Go Habs Go

11. Wemindji_Habsfan says:

Go Habs Go

12. Muckbringer says:

brampton mlight make it happen..

13. larisalapointe says:

I get it, I think. lol

14. Just A Guy says:

Until you actually watch the games; Schroedinger can only help you so far. I go with the cat not dieing, personally.

15. punkster says:

How dare you call me an aber-wachamathingy…you smooth operator you.

16. Danno says:

The white is good for the middle. Now all he/she needs is to have the ends tinted red and blue.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

Don’t worry about Price…one safe prediction for Thursday-Cammalleri won’t help the team …. worry about him maybe rather than Price this season…Cammalleri’s behavior was a real exhibition and he may never be the same in Montreal after those stick swings in the eyes of some of his fans and teammates.

18. Mr-T says:

WOW…An unemotional and rational thinker, often an aberration on this forum.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

19. larisalapointe says:

Since it’s prediction night, Habs will lose/win. Will make/won’t make playoffs. Price will suck/won’t suck.

There I’m bound to be right.lol

20. Just A Guy says:

Shenanigans!

21. Muckbringer says:

that dog needs color….but which?

22. Muckbringer says:

what ever happened to the short pads?  may that be why goalies are adjusting?

23. punkster says:

But if he lets in 5 or 6 and we win? Or if he only lets in 1 or 2 and we lose? Or if we don’t get “routed”? Or if he lets in none and we win big? Or if we win a close one in OT? Or in a SO? What would all those possibilities prove? Point being there are so many ways it could go and not one of them can be claimed to be the turning point of the season. It’s game one. How about we let it play out before panicking. OK? :)

24. PrimeTime says:

and if Price allows 1 goal or gets a shutout it will be because “it’s only the Leafs” and most comments will be held back until his 1st bad loss.

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

25. punkster says:

There! That oughta tie him in knots.

26. punkster says:

Then you’re gonna hate this one:

We look forward to the season with glee,
    And we’re excited for sure but we plea;
    Show us speed, heart and diligence
    Strong offence and defence
    And we’ll give out a cheer, whoopee.

27. Mr-T says:

Your right, if you are referring to 12th to 20th placement. The reality is that PG failed to make the necessary changes and Auld instead of Halak is not an equal trade-off. They probably go out in the first round, if they make the playoffs, although there are just too many variables with this team, starting with Martin whose philosophy and antiquated coaching style is not ideally suited to these players. The Habs will continue to be a group of underachievers as long as he remains.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

28. SeriousFan09 says:

With a handful of AHL games on his resume, Mayer will have a ways to go before he’s an NHL netminder.

29. habs youngtimer says:

we all know, that if Price lets in 5 or 6 Tursday, and habs get routed, people will start to panic. not because they lost the game, but because we’re pinning all our hopes on a goalie who proven nothing!

kind of scary, don’t you agree?

we’re nervous because we don’t have a decent backup. but from what I heard, Mayer could end up being the backup, and if Price falters, he could become the #1 goalie, like Halak did.

30. samTHEman says:

i might want that ticket. check your inbox please. thanks

31. Bugs says:

(edit)

Aah, nevermind.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

32. Bugs says:

Ummm, no. I WON’T quit posting what you call gibberish (since you seem to either be unaware of what the word gibberish means, or worse, you’re unable to make out English words). I won’t, Emmy.

How does that sound?

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

33. sholi2000.com says:

I was actually counting on him going Ian.  I just want to thank him.  To go through everything he has and still have the energy to work for the Habs, you know he loves this team!!

They Call Me Shane

34. SoupStrainerMcPhee says:

I agree with your line of thinking on most of points and would only add that I think Plekanec will be better than last year (at least in total points) and I think someone will come up from the farm this year, due to injury during the season and impress the hell out of us.

I hope Desharnais gets a chance to shine in a habs uniform.  If only for a short while.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

That is crazy awesome just as a possibility.

36. Mr-T says:

Is that from a realist or an optimist. More subjective then objective or is it some sort of attempt at humor!

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

There is a game ticket available for the Summit, First come ,first serve,

NEWS FLASH

Bob
    Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his
    daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the
    invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

38. Malreg says:

I’m in!  I’ve never done a Head-to-Head before, so it should be fun.  Does drafting strategy change at all compared to just a points league?

39. rocketsglare says:

I predict the Habs will compete and remain competitive throughout the season and will make

the playoffs. Price will have a solid year, but will have stretches where he will struggle. Other’s

that I predict to have solid seasons will be Kostitsyn and Lapierre. I predict Eller will be a plea-

sant surprise this season.

I know I made many predictions, but based on the talent and potential of these players to pro-

duce, they are due this season and I have a good feeling that they will not disappoint us.

What do you guys think?

40. RiverviewCanadien says:

Hate it when people do what? I never said it was an amazing goal…it was clever nonetheless and shows that Mayer can’t POKE check!

41. Malreg says:

Agreed, I hate it whenever people do that.  Just makes me want to hit them lol

As a goalie though, if you see some one do that all you have to do is lie down across the net, since you can’t lift the puck like that.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, it’s very nice stickhandling but it’s vulnerable to a poke check, I doubt if Mayer faces this guy again he’ll let him slip it through.

43. captaink4life says:

Yah I’ve seen it already. Really not as impressive as everyone is making it out to be…

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

44. SeriousFan09 says:

This makes No. 4 for me as well.

45. Gorges_the_great says:

Easy. That would be a headshot perpetrated by a star player.

46. andrewberkshire says:

How many leagues are you in this year? I’m in 4 and I think that’s the most I want haha.

47. andrewberkshire says:

I already clicked the names so I can’t guess because I cheated… But let’s get ready to kick some Leaf ass.

48. The M says:

haha that is awesome Ian. yes chuck’s wife will owe you!

49. The M says:

quite possibly the dumbest comment i’ve ever read. quit posting gibberish, please.

50. _Habsoloutly_ says:

see if you can guess the name of my team.  =)

51. habsfansince91 says:

I’m curious to know what the league considers a legal headshot.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

What’s 1 more league and the chance to knock around some Loafs fans? I’m in.

53. RiverviewCanadien says:

Anyone catch this goal on Robert Mayer?

54. andrewberkshire says:

Good stuff James, and good luck.

55. andrewberkshire says:

Anybody wanna whup some Leaf fans asses in a yahoo pool? League ID# 73554, password is habssuck. Make him eat his words, draft is at 10pm eastern time today.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Gotta say, I’m upset we don’t get to open up Pittsburgh’s new barn and start the cycle of defeat all over again with them. We may have fostered a new rivalry with our playoff series win and humiliation of their golden boy last season and frankly wouldn’t it be fun to rub a little more salt in the wound by spoiling their home opener?

57. _Habsoloutly_ says:

done

58. Da Hema says:

They can also serve as temporary lodging.

Indeed, dumpsters are a modern miracle!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

59. Danno says:

NHL refs to start penalizing illegal head shots.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. Bugs says:

There once was an NHL season

For which we promised no teasin

But should we hear toll

The first crappy goal,

We’ll then have a bloody good reason.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

61. Chuck says:

Who are you calling old?  😉

62. SeriousFan09 says:

I suggest writing to Wade Redden and appealing to his sense of decency, after all with 18% of his salary no longer going to escrow in the AHL I’m sure he can afford to spot you some grocery money.

63. twocents says:

Ah… Chuck’s an old deadhead, he probably know his way around a dumpster. ;o)

64. Chuck says:

We’ll be sure to keep an eye out for you. And I’m with you… start the season already!   :)

65. Da Hema says:

Dumpsters behind restaurants can be an excellent source of nutrition.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

66. Danno says:

And the Wife of the Year Award goes to………… Chuck’s Wife! (wild applause)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

67. secretdragonfly says:

Hi Ian, not as many responses as I thought but it’s a start.  As we get closer, we can give everyone a nudge – worst-case scenario, we have a lot of hand-written tags but my handwriting is pretty legible as long as I stay away from the Grey Goose.

68. geo_habsgo says:

It has probably been posted but check it out lol

Did that post on the Summit page do the trick for name tags?

What a gal Chuck! 1 for you and 1 for me.

I’m going to make it up to her at the Summit.

71. secretdragonfly says:

Woo hoo, Chuck, she’s a keeper all right!  Hope we bump into you guys there – we’ll be in the cheap seats and wishing it was Summit time already. DROP THE FREAKING PUCK!!!!!

72. SeriousFan09 says:

He’ll be back later in the month, but definitely not opening night. He just returned to skating for the team, they’ll want to make sure he has a good fitness level and his knee is solid.

73. Chuck says:

My wife rocks! She just surprised me with tickets for the season opener Thursday night! Granted, we won’t be able to afford groceries for a week, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

74. habs youngtimer says:

any word on if Markov is playing Thursday?

75. Castor says:

Oh man. Imagine if Halak wins the Vezina? Montreal will explode.

76. SLONCOLD says:

if he wins the vezina, he wins the heart. i’m not sure st louis is strong enough on D for him to win a vezina. i tink he’ll have a good season but just not a vezina type year… montreal would implode  though if it did happen. lol

77. Storm Man says:

I will close my account on here if that happens. Safe to say it won’t happen.

78. otter649 says:

TSN & Sportsnet have their preview shows tonight so I imagine like every year since the lock out their so called experts will predict The Habs out of the playoffs once again which has only happened once thanks to that ridiculous flu that went through the team a few years back……..lol

79. mike g says:

And…

They’ll also predict Toronto will make the playoffs, like every year. These experts have also been wrong for  5 straight years.

Well done experts.. *cough, Burke tea-baggers*

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

80. habaddict_andy says:

Puck Daddy follows well Canadiens team.  “healthy canadiens team is a playoff team and contender for the divisional title”  I agree.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

81. habaddict_andy says:

But then again, it’s easier to agree with predictions that have good things to say to your team 😉

“Plek’s point drop might drop under pressure to perform after getting big raise”.  So far it does not show he is under pressure.

82. habaddict_andy says:

Cammalleri speaks to the media.

Can’t wait to see how Eller will react playing along side Pleks and AK.  If this goes well Pouliot will be under pressure to perform well which is a good thing.

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

NEWS FLASH

Bob Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

84. observer says:

Re: “At Sports Illustrated.com, Michael Farber and Sarah Qwak ”    — Exactly! Now any quack can make public predictions.

85. 4loorplay says:

Farber is right about the mental pressure that price has not show as of yet in montreal

86. SeriousFan09 says:

Eric Gudbranson was sent back to the OHL today, no comment yet if he’s blaming Moen for it.

87. Danno says:

No. But I hear he’s Moenin’ and groanin’ over it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

88. otter649 says:

Would have made the team but could not agree on a contract……..

89. observer says:

Toronto will be better this year and if they win the opener as they’ll come out flying it will be all those of you obsessed with the Leafs left with egg on your face and you all will be blaming it on Cammaleri’s suspension.

90. SeriousFan09 says:

Being better than 29th in the league, wow that’s going to take a lot…

No offence beyond their 1st line and their defence is half lead-footed dumb brutes.

91. _Habsoloutly_ says:

gfy leaf troll.

92. otter649 says:

Big If and you will be blaming Gauthier for trading Halk etc etc……….

93. Chuck says:

It’s pretty easy to be better when the only way to go is up.

94. saskhabfan says:

“bad analogy- when he first played those wins/losses ??? how many goals did crosby and malkin score that year?”-Observer. When asked why Marc Andre fleury had been sent to the minors when he struggled in his 3rd season.

95. observer says:

hick in the sticks! r you still upset at your stupid analogy just one of the points that made your analogy that poor – i am sorry i criticized you for your lack of brainpower – too much barley in the malt sometimes causes your problem.

96. adam76 says:

Never have I been more excited and nervous for the season to start.  One one hand, I tryly believe we have one of the strongest teams in the last five years.  In almost every position, the organization has options and real, substantial depth.

On the other hand – goaltending, (the most important position) is a real question mark.  Our starter has a record of 5 – 14  in 2010 (includes preseason and playoffs).  With absolutely zero goaltending prospects on the horizon, what happens if Price can’t turn his career around?

Answers will start to flow this Thursday in Toronto.

97. Bob Dobbs says:

a) We would go without a good goalie.

b) We would trade for a good goalie.

c) We would sign a good free-agent goalie next year.

1 SUMMIT TICKET AVAILABLE__WHO WANTS IT

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given
    out.

SAT.
    morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The
    “Rockets” granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour
    for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t
    forget to bring along something to contribute to the Bob Gainey Foundation
    charity raffle please.

Across
    the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for us.
    And like every year The Montreal Gazette and CJAD leaders will be there to
    celebrate with us.

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Well it is hard to work in a “Promise me I’ll never get left holding the bag by my Captain who’s a former Leaf douche” clause.

100. Da Hema says:

You are precious Bugzed!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

101. Bugs says:

There once was a dude called McGuire

Whose head did gleam like a fire.

He would hold consultation

That did mock our Hab Nation,

And where none dared call him a liar.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

102. G-Man says:

“Hab Nation?” Gaaahh! That’s what laff fans call themselves! Repent, Bugs, repent!

103. observer says:

McGuire basically said and I agree totally with him. Habs coming season will first and foremost depend on whether or not Price can do what Halak did last year. If he can, this is a fine team and will be fighting for the top 4 spots in the conference, if not it will be a long year. Everything depends on Price, excuse time is now over for him, Gauthier and Gainey. Fail and the lot are history here.

104. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

The glorious history of the maple leafs since 1967 in 12 seconds, enjoy

105. observer says:

Setting yourself up for excuses come tomorrow night. Unreal! Not as if this is a current successful franchise as Habs are now heading into the 18th year without even reaching the Stanley Cup finals.

106. Bugs says:

There once was a Swissy called Nino

Who despite flexing like Gino

Did crumple and writhe

To avoid Cammy’s scythe.

You’d think he’d been shot down in Reno.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

107. The Cat says:

Why they never try and predict a darkhorse, its always picks you expect to hear. And every year, theres a surprise team.

108. lefreak says:

man….no one wants to go out on a limb and predict anything, and they are all pretty much saying the same things.

time for the game to start, and for the journalists to have something more concrete to talk about. Jojo Savard is soooooooooooo 1996.

109. Bugs says:

The leafs call themselves Hab Nation?

That doesn’t even make any sense!

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as