Puck Pundits Make Predictions

From NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

It’s preview time in the N.H.L. when many of those who watch the
league for a living dispense their wisdom before the first puck is
dropped. Not everyone has released their thoughts on the upcoming season
as of yet; TSN for example, won’t telecast their preview show until
Wednesday.

Still, a number of leading observers have made their views public and
here is a cross-section of them. We’ll tell you what the predictions
are, but it’s a good exercise to watch, listen or read the reasoning of
these folks and learn why they think what they do. Try to stomach the
commercial interruptions in the videos and instead digest the
information overload from all these hockey analysts. It will help you
get ready for the 2010-11 season.

At Sports Illustrated.com, Michael Farber and Sarah Qwak break down
the league division by division and discuss some of the big issues
surrounding Ilya Kovalchuk, the Canadiens’ goaltending question, the
pressure on the Capitals, the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup hangover, the
Flames bringing some old faces back and the Sharks’ new goalies. Here
are their thoughts in videos on the

Atlantic Division, where they like Pittsburgh, the

Northeast Division, where they both like the Bruins, the

Southeast Division, the

Central Division, where they lean toward the Red Wings, the

Northwest Division, where Vancouver is their pick, and the

Pacific Division, where San Jose is their choice.

Yahoo’s excellent Puck Daddy blog has been rolling out team preview
posts for a while and they

are all linked to this page.

Here’s the ESPN.com
preview page
… and here’s
the page
with all the predictions from six of their hockey
analysts, telling you who will win each division, who will win the
conference championships, who will win the Stanley Cup and even who will
win the major individual awards. Also on that page is video of the
comedy team of Barry Melrose and E. J. Hradek going through their shtick
to tell you why Melrose thinks the Canucks will win the Stanley Cup.
And if you like that, you can watch those two and also Hradek and
Matthew Barnaby give their thoughts on the
Atlantic Division
(Melrose likes the Devils), the
Northeast Division
(Barnaby likes the Bruins), the
Southeast
(Melrose likes the Caps and likes them to win the East), the
Central Division
(Barnaby likes the Red Wings), the
Northwest Division
(Melrose likes the Canucks) and the
Pacific Division
(Barnaby likes the Sharks).

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Puck Pundits Offer Predictions”>>

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Gotta say, I’m upset we don’t get to open up Pittsburgh’s new barn and start the cycle of defeat all over again with them. We may have fostered a new rivalry with our playoff series win and humiliation of their golden boy last season and frankly wouldn’t it be fun to rub a little more salt in the wound by spoiling their home opener?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. _Habsoloutly_ says:

done

3. Da Hema says:

They can also serve as temporary lodging.

Indeed, dumpsters are a modern miracle!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

4. Danno says:

NHL refs to start penalizing illegal head shots.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. Bugs says:

There once was an NHL season

For which we promised no teasin

But should we hear toll

The first crappy goal,

We’ll then have a bloody good reason.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

6. Chuck says:

Who are you calling old?  ;)

7. SeriousFan09 says:

I suggest writing to Wade Redden and appealing to his sense of decency, after all with 18% of his salary no longer going to escrow in the AHL I’m sure he can afford to spot you some grocery money.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. twocents says:

Ah… Chuck’s an old deadhead, he probably know his way around a dumpster. ;o)

9. Chuck says:

We’ll be sure to keep an eye out for you. And I’m with you… start the season already!   :)

10. Da Hema says:

Dumpsters behind restaurants can be an excellent source of nutrition.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

11. Danno says:

And the Wife of the Year Award goes to………… Chuck’s Wife! (wild applause)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. secretdragonfly says:

Hi Ian, not as many responses as I thought but it’s a start.  As we get closer, we can give everyone a nudge – worst-case scenario, we have a lot of hand-written tags but my handwriting is pretty legible as long as I stay away from the Grey Goose.

13. geo_habsgo says:

It has probably been posted but check it out lol

Did that post on the Summit page do the trick for name tags?

What a gal Chuck! 1 for you and 1 for me.

I’m going to make it up to her at the Summit.

16. secretdragonfly says:

Woo hoo, Chuck, she’s a keeper all right!  Hope we bump into you guys there – we’ll be in the cheap seats and wishing it was Summit time already. DROP THE FREAKING PUCK!!!!!

17. SeriousFan09 says:

He’ll be back later in the month, but definitely not opening night. He just returned to skating for the team, they’ll want to make sure he has a good fitness level and his knee is solid.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. Chuck says:

My wife rocks! She just surprised me with tickets for the season opener Thursday night! Granted, we won’t be able to afford groceries for a week, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

19. habs youngtimer says:

any word on if Markov is playing Thursday?

20. punkster says:

My love for dear Bugs is unending
    But my wish to share rooms is descending.
    He’s a wonderful bloke
    A most capital folk
    But his attitude quite condescending.

(Edit: Bugs, no offence intended :)

21. Clay4bc says:

Thanks man – noted! Got a little ahead of myself there. I have the same right to make myself look stupis as does anyone else…

__________________________

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to make yourself look stupid.

22. G-Man says:

Better correct that last line. “right to say make?”

23. habsperspective says:

NAH, but Dandeneault coming out of retirement, that I see!!!

24. Clay4bc says:

Yes…and we made the playoffs by one whole point! TSN couldn’t have been more wrong, really.

However, I agree with your premise, and almost all of your post. Just had to make the point, is all.

__________________________

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say make yourself look stupid.

25. christophor says:

I think Pillsbury has better things to say about hockey.

26. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

Where, KHL? Swedish Elite League? lol, that experiment is over with (Thank God)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Anyone taken as an individual is tolerably sensible and reasonable — as a
    member of a crowd, he at once becomes a blockhead.
    —Friedrich Von Schiller

27. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what tsn says, if i remember correctly (correct me if i am wrong) tsn said the habs would’ve missed the playoffs last year, i wouldn’t read too much into what “experts” say… always remember this, you really can’t take a network too seriously anymore (tsn?) once they go out and hire mike milbury, the second I see milbury’s face on tv i instantly turn away, you can become severely mentally ill if you have to sit and listen to what milbury has to say about hockey.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take Seabrook over Komisarek but it is pretty much what it is for Montreal, a good 2nd-pair player being matched up with a Top-5 NHL defencemen and being boosted because of it, it’s insane how highly Seabrook is in the fantasy rankings.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. Da Hema says:

:-)

Makes about as much sense as those crafted by our beloved Bugzed….

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

30. Muckbringer says:

we shall thanks givr’

31. andrewberkshire says:

TSN ranking Seabrook above Markov is certainly one of the most lol-worthy things they’ve ever done. Seabrook is the Komisarek to Keith’s Markov. He’s a good player, but nowhere near elite in the NHL.

32. Muckbringer says:

it is what it is i guess….

33. Da Hema says:

I’m no expert, but it does seem to me that teams which trade players like Russ Courtnall straight up for players like John Kordic, or sacrifice two juicy first-round draft picks for a quick fix player, will probably suck.

Just speculating here….

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

34. JD_ says:

Waitin’ for the games to resume
    Can’t happen a moment too soom
    Yes, I made up a new word
    A bad back for Larry Bird
    The two of you should get a room

35. OneTimer says:

again with the MAB? That joke stopped being funny 8 months ago, time for some new material… Didn’t they ban you, btw? <3

36. PrimeTime says:

No Halak either……

McGuire was his usual loudmouth douchie self.

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

37. gK_HabsFan says:

TSN just did a top 50 nhl players for this year… anddddd

No Markov… No Cammy… No Pleks!

-GK-

38. habaholic68NJ says:

Which team?

39. habs4ever2894 says:

There’s something that i just realized , although we made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons we still managed to obtain/draft two very good prospects ready to make a big impact for our team this season . while the Leafs who have missed the playoffs 5 years straight have not one rookie ready to make any sort of contribution. How does that happen? I really think that franchise is cursed and i couldn’t be happier!

40. punkster says:

That would be nice.

41. punkster says:

There’ll never be peace over coaching
    As long as Stevie Y’s poaching.
    We rag on Jack Marty
    We think Boucher’s a smarty,
    And our goalie’s a subject worth broaching.

42. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Another Habs fan from Newfoundland living in Toronto? How about that!

43. SeriousFan09 says:

I can’t make this stuff up Triple, you’d think in Canada we’d have a law requiring street hockey.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I will make one prediction. MAB will be signed before the trade deadline.

45. TripleX says:

I was going to respond with ” are you serious”, but then I realized we are talking about Toronto.  Talk about Nanny State in action, no wonder they despise Alberta.  xD

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

4) Timo doesn’t get banned

Now, THAT’s a bold prediction.

47. otter649 says:

You’re right (after checking youtube) – It was not a slash but a shot to the head but still a cheap shot……..

I like it. Much more interesting than line combos and it so apropos given that we’re between the end of pre-season and the start of the regular one.

My 5 bold italics predictions:

1) I stick with the same avatar all year and never pull out a tank.

2) Bugs becomes sane.

3) The Habs lead the North East division all season and it eradicates the troll infestation.

4) Timo doesn’t get banned.

5) Yeats only posts as himself.

49. JIMVINNY says:

wonk wonk wonk.

No Halak, no problem.

50. MikeMcLaren says:

HAHAHAHAHA - I absolutely did mean Calder.

Wow, Freudian slip.  Not even I’m that optimistic!

LOL

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

51. mike g says:

OOOooooooookay….

I’m just gonna go outside, light a louisville slugger, and then come back and read your predictions.

Maybe, just maybe then I’ll believe them. lol.

ps- I really hope you’re right.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. Bugs says:

For my new friend Emmy:

There once was a coach called Jack Marty

Who mouthed his clichés hale’n'hearty

Ignorin the fac’

That without Jay Halak,

He’d be the next shmuck at the party.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

There is a game ticket available for the Summit, First come ,first serve,

NEWS FLASH

Bob
    Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his
    daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the
    invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

I think you mean Calder voting on No. 2, unless this is your jab at the AHL Rookie Award voting, which I’m still annoyed with, good enough to be a 1st-team All-Star D in the AHL but not good enough to be Rookie of the Year, show me the logic.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

It was Havlat and it was Cammalleri’s arm/elbow to Havlat’s head after a faceoff…but same kind style ..a one sided lashing out

56. MikeMcLaren says:

Five crazy predictions for the coming season:

1. Despite a number of “just scraping in” or “just falling out” of hand-wringing, the Canadiens win the Northeast division title.

2. P.K. Subban will get in two fights.  He’ll win them both. Oh, and finish second in Norris trophy voting to surprise candidate Tyler Ennis.

3. The Habs will have 4, 30+ goal scorers.

4. Carey Price will finish in the top 5 of one or more of the following: W, SV%, GAA

5. Roman Hamrlik will not lead the team in delay of game penalties for firing the puck over the glass.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

57. larisalapointe says:

hahaha, quantum physics not my strong suit, but I am amused! And that was my point too. Nobody knows what’s going to happen until we all watch the games.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs nation, ‘the center of the hockey universe’ and they have a bylaw against street hockey.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. samTHEman says:

meh…just for fun i’ll try to predict who will score the most goals in order this season

1. Gionta

2. Cammalleri

3. Plekanec

4. Kostitsyn

5. Eller

6. Pouliot

7. Subban

8. Gomez

9. Boyd

60. MikeMcLaren says:

I hope you’re right, I’d love them to go back to the future of 07-08 when they led the league in GF.  If they can get that going – and who knows, maybe with PK they can do that – then absolutely that’s possible.

(Full disclosure, I took Eller in my hockey pool as my designated rookie, so I *really* hope you’re right)

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

61. MikeMcLaren says:

dbl post

62. Da Hema says:

I’ll make one prediction:

1. Posters on Habsinsideout will make wild predictions.

But I hope your predictions come true!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

63. TripleX says:

Toronto and party is a big oxymoron.

Leafs and party is a stupendous oxymoron.

Toronto take the prize as the most anal retentive city in Canada, with a billion bylaws.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

64. andrewberkshire says:

40 points isn’t that outrageous for a good 3rd line center with PP time. I think he could do it even without extended top 6 minutes.

65. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good point.

I think Pouliot might score 25, but he will get 40-45 points. He’ll get his part on the 3rd line and Eller will get his chances on top 2 lines as well.

66. MikeMcLaren says:

Can #1 and #4 co-exist?

Is it more likely we’ll see Eller flourish if AK46 or Pouliot (hopefully not both) flounder?

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

67. _Habsoloutly_ says:

looks like the live draft was changed to tomorrow night.

68. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well, Seriousfan09 started it… I am going to continue the trend haha.

My 4 Fearless Predictions:

1. Lars Eller cracks the 40 point plateau.

2. Cammalleri scores 35+ goals.

3. Subban gets 40+ points.

4. AK46 and Pouliot score 25+ each.

69. Just A Guy says:

I think it was the early 1900′s when a Physicist named Erwin (?) Schrodinger came up with a thougth experiment that was based on a probabalistic event that could only be verified by observing either the after effects of an event, or the event itself. Diaoblically, he figured a theoretical poisoning of a cat would be the best way to express his ideas on what is described as entaglement: the idea that you can’t know the outcome of an event until you actually observe it.

Using the habs success/failure seems much better to me though, and it doesn’t involve accusations of being a psycopath and calls to PETA.

(edit: since you get it ignore this post as some form of pontification and only as a source of amusment)

70. otter649 says:

Not the first time Cammalleri used his stick on someone – As a Calgary Flame he chopped someone pretty good off a faceoff , I think it may have been Martin Havlat………..

71. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I’d say 2.59 GAA and a .918 save percentage – 3 shutouts – 35 wins

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Too late to add on but I meant to suggest that everyone else make 5 predictions as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

73. Mikey_39 says:

I hope so…not only because I love the habs, but also because I have Kostitsyn, Plecky, and Subban in my hockey pool.

74. Da Hema says:

You are precious Bugzed!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

75. Bugs says:

There once was a dude called McGuire

Whose head did gleam like a fire.

He would hold consultation

That did mock our Hab Nation,

And where none dared call him a liar.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

76. G-Man says:

“Hab Nation?” Gaaahh! That’s what laff fans call themselves! Repent, Bugs, repent!

77. observer says:

McGuire basically said and I agree totally with him. Habs coming season will first and foremost depend on whether or not Price can do what Halak did last year. If he can, this is a fine team and will be fighting for the top 4 spots in the conference, if not it will be a long year. Everything depends on Price, excuse time is now over for him, Gauthier and Gainey. Fail and the lot are history here.

78. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

The glorious history of the maple leafs since 1967 in 12 seconds, enjoy

79. observer says:

Setting yourself up for excuses come tomorrow night. Unreal! Not as if this is a current successful franchise as Habs are now heading into the 18th year without even reaching the Stanley Cup finals.

80. Bugs says:

There once was a Swissy called Nino

Who despite flexing like Gino

Did crumple and writhe

To avoid Cammy’s scythe.

You’d think he’d been shot down in Reno.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

81. The Cat says:

Why they never try and predict a darkhorse, its always picks you expect to hear. And every year, theres a surprise team.

82. lefreak says:

man….no one wants to go out on a limb and predict anything, and they are all pretty much saying the same things.

time for the game to start, and for the journalists to have something more concrete to talk about. Jojo Savard is soooooooooooo 1996.

83. Castor says:

Oh man. Imagine if Halak wins the Vezina? Montreal will explode.

84. SLONCOLD says:

if he wins the vezina, he wins the heart. i’m not sure st louis is strong enough on D for him to win a vezina. i tink he’ll have a good season but just not a vezina type year… montreal would implode  though if it did happen. lol

85. Storm Man says:

I will close my account on here if that happens. Safe to say it won’t happen.

86. otter649 says:

TSN & Sportsnet have their preview shows tonight so I imagine like every year since the lock out their so called experts will predict The Habs out of the playoffs once again which has only happened once thanks to that ridiculous flu that went through the team a few years back……..lol

87. mike g says:

And…

They’ll also predict Toronto will make the playoffs, like every year. These experts have also been wrong for  5 straight years.

Well done experts.. *cough, Burke tea-baggers*

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

88. habaddict_andy says:

Puck Daddy follows well Canadiens team.  “healthy canadiens team is a playoff team and contender for the divisional title”  I agree.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

89. habaddict_andy says:

But then again, it’s easier to agree with predictions that have good things to say to your team ;)

“Plek’s point drop might drop under pressure to perform after getting big raise”.  So far it does not show he is under pressure.

90. habaddict_andy says:

Cammalleri speaks to the media.

Can’t wait to see how Eller will react playing along side Pleks and AK.  If this goes well Pouliot will be under pressure to perform well which is a good thing.

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

NEWS FLASH

Bob Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

92. observer says:

Re: “At Sports Illustrated.com, Michael Farber and Sarah Qwak “    — Exactly! Now any quack can make public predictions.

93. 4loorplay says:

Farber is right about the mental pressure that price has not show as of yet in montreal

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Eric Gudbranson was sent back to the OHL today, no comment yet if he’s blaming Moen for it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

95. Danno says:

No. But I hear he’s Moenin’ and groanin’ over it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

96. otter649 says:

Would have made the team but could not agree on a contract……..

97. observer says:

Toronto will be better this year and if they win the opener as they’ll come out flying it will be all those of you obsessed with the Leafs left with egg on your face and you all will be blaming it on Cammaleri’s suspension.

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Being better than 29th in the league, wow that’s going to take a lot…

No offence beyond their 1st line and their defence is half lead-footed dumb brutes.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

99. _Habsoloutly_ says:

gfy leaf troll.

100. otter649 says:

Big If and you will be blaming Gauthier for trading Halk etc etc……….

101. Chuck says:

It’s pretty easy to be better when the only way to go is up.

102. saskhabfan says:

“bad analogy- when he first played those wins/losses ??? how many goals did crosby and malkin score that year?”-Observer. When asked why Marc Andre fleury had been sent to the minors when he struggled in his 3rd season.

103. observer says:

hick in the sticks! r you still upset at your stupid analogy just one of the points that made your analogy that poor – i am sorry i criticized you for your lack of brainpower – too much barley in the malt sometimes causes your problem.

104. adam76 says:

Never have I been more excited and nervous for the season to start.  One one hand, I tryly believe we have one of the strongest teams in the last five years.  In almost every position, the organization has options and real, substantial depth.

On the other hand – goaltending, (the most important position) is a real question mark.  Our starter has a record of 5 – 14  in 2010 (includes preseason and playoffs).  With absolutely zero goaltending prospects on the horizon, what happens if Price can’t turn his career around?

Answers will start to flow this Thursday in Toronto.

105. Bob Dobbs says:

a) We would go without a good goalie.

b) We would trade for a good goalie.

c) We would sign a good free-agent goalie next year.

1 SUMMIT TICKET AVAILABLE__WHO WANTS IT

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given
    out.

SAT.
    morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The
    “Rockets” granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour
    for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t
    forget to bring along something to contribute to the Bob Gainey Foundation
    charity raffle please.

Across
    the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for us.
    And like every year The Montreal Gazette and CJAD leaders will be there to
    celebrate with us.

107. Bugs says:

The leafs call themselves Hab Nation?

That doesn’t even make any sense!

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

108. SeriousFan09 says:

Well it is hard to work in a “Promise me I’ll never get left holding the bag by my Captain who’s a former Leaf douche” clause.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.