Prust will be in Habs lineup for Game 1

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate in Tampa as they prepared to face the Lightning Wednesday night in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Habs’ No. 1 line of Thomas Vanek, Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais all skipped the morning skate, along with defenceman Francis Bouillon. All the other players were on the ice, including Brandon Prust, who will be in the lineup for Game 1. Prust missed the last 12 games of the regular season with an upper-body injury. He is expected to play on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher.

“He’s had two good practices with our team,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Tampa about Prust. “He’s excited and we’re all excited about him being back in the lineup. He’s a leader, he’s a tough guy to play against, he’s got speed and, most importantly, he’s a gamer.”

Said Prust: “Playoffs starting, so the heart’s pumping. This is a brand new season. Everything is stepped up a notch. You’re not really sure what happens, but something goes in the brain where it’s an all-out war.”

Therrien also confirmed that Bouillon and Michael Bournival will be in the lineup. It will be the 47th career playoff game for Bouillon, but the first for Bournival.

“He’ll be nervous, but nerves can be positive,” Therrien said about the 21-year-old rookie, who posted 7-7-14 totals in 60 regular-season games and was minus-6. “He’ll make an impact with his speed.”

It will also be the first career playoff game for Habs defenceman Alexei Emelin.

Lightning coach Jon Cooper confirmed that goalie Ben Bishop, who is sidelined with an elbow injury, won’t play in Game 1, but wouldn’t say who will start in his place. Cooper can choose between Anders Lindback, who was named the NHL’s player of the week after posting a 3-0-0 record last week, or Kristers Gudlevskis, the goalie who stood on his head for Latvia against Canada at the Olympics. Gudlevskis almost gave an entire country a heart attack when he stopped 55 of 57 shots for Latvia in a 2-1 loss to Canada in Sochi.

Carey Price will start in goal for the Canadiens with something to prove in the postseason. Price has a career 9-17 record in the playoffs with a 2.90 goals-against average and .905 save percentage.

The scratches for the Habs in Game 1 are expected to be Travis Moen, Ryan White and George Parros up front and Douglas Murray and Jarred Tinordi on defence.

Game 2 of the Habs-Lightning series will be Friday night in Tampa (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Game 1 Preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Game Notes

Habs will have a taste of home in Tampa, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Post-season is Briere’s time to shine, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

NHL Playoff Preview, predictions, montrealgazette.com

Five keys to Game 1, Canadiens.com

Tampa Bay writer picks Habs in 6, Tampa Bay Times

Five things to know about the Canadiens, Tampa Bay Times

How the Lightning and Habs match up, Tampa Bay Times

‘Crazy’ year has rewards for Stamkos, Tampa Bay Times

How can Habs shut down Stamkos? Stu on Sports blog

Off-ice life helps Lindback weather struggles, Tampa Bay Times

Roy has shown softer side in guiding Avalanche, montrealgazette.com

HI/O Summit Facebook page

1. HabsKid says:

My grandfather’s side of the family was from England and he moved to Montreal as a kid. He had a heart attack watching the Habs he was that passionate about them. Couldn’t care less about the Leafs.

2. Danno says:

Did anyone else notice the fans behind the glass during the last game at the Bell Centre with the huge cardboard cutout PK heads? It was even more funny when PK was in the corner beating on someone and the fans were behind him wildly waving the big PK heads around…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. 44har48 says:

I like the lineup against the speed we are about to witness. What I like more is that MT values guys (minus PK) that are not prone to mistakes. Mistakes don’t just cost you games at this time of year, you all know they can cost you series and all the good you did doesn’t matter when that happens. Make them earn it and we have a chance in this series.

EDIT: Or just have Vanek and Price get hot and steal the cup for us regardless of turnovers etc.!

4. AH says:

The game starts right when I’m off work and driving home….stay calm…no road rage…just get home…

5. WindsorHab-10 says:

I prefer to see Tinordi in the lineup rather than Bouillion. I’ll take speed & size over Cube’s experience anytime.

6. shiram says:

Some Rangers fan told me the Habs were the Catholic team, I asked him why, this is what he told me :

“Way way back in the day when it came down to it if you were Canadian and protestant you supported the Leafs (UK Canada), and if you were Catholic you supported the Habs (French Canada). This is according to my ex girlfriend’s Canadian dad, and he could have been talking out of his ass, but he is talking in 1900 so I believe it. ”

Anyone care to chime in?

• Danno says:

All I know is: Jesus Saves

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• ArmyFan says:

My dad is 76 yrs old. Born and raised in Eastern Ontario, moved north to work in the mines in the 1960s. By all accounts should be a Leafs fan. But he’s a die-hard Canadiens fan through and through. I often wondered why, but never really questioned it. Here’s the possible kicker – he’s Irish-Canadian Catholic. He has told me plenty of stories, and I’ve read more, that the whole Catholic/Protestant ‘conflict’ was alive and well in Ontario well into the 1960s and 1970s. Since ‘Taranna’ was seen as the capital of Protestant-dominated Ontario, this could very well be the reason.

7. rhino514 says:

Just looking at the bolts defence. Pretty awesome; no weak link in the starting six. Their defence is definitely deeper than ours; we have Markov, Subban….and MAYBE Emelin, if he plays his best game. Their bottom three, overall, is stronger than ours.
    Their forwards have better stats; but I think our forwards would have similar stats playing a more wide open game, plus we have Vanek now.
    I think Price versus their goalie, plus the fact that for once we have quite a few playoff tested veterans on the team and they have 8 rookies in the lineup, gives us the edge.
    But, man, am I reconsidering my opinion on wether we would have been favourites with Bishop in there.
    I think the habs can take it in six. But if it goes to a seventh game we are in trouble. Bolts will have last change at home, and the habs, for some unexplicable reason, after forcing Plekanec and Gionta to sacrifice their offensive game and play shutdown for seventy games, don´t have a bonafide shutdown line of 3 strong defensive guys (Moen is also injured) and this could cost them when up against Stamkos and their talented forwards. The bolts will obviously key in on the Desharnais line so it is imperative that guys like Gionta and Briere play younger than theirt age, Eller regains enough confidence to at least be a presence out there, and Bourque gets int he dirty areas and we maybe get a timely goal from him. Thee guys are all question marks for various reasons, and we need at least a couple of them to do well in the series.

• krob1000 says:

A good idea would be to get a few others going with soe quality pp time. Maybe throw teh Pleks-Gally-Brieer unti out for the 1st wave or give them a few ozone starts with favourable matchups. PRust can go for a shift on the 4th here and there and Briere can get a few opportune shots.

8. jo_maka says:

Heard in the service for the state funeral of Lachine’s own Jim Flaherty, as his sister recalled a discussion between him and his family after his resignation:

“Q: Jimmy, you leavin at the top of your game ?
    A: Yes.Just like Maurice Rocket Richard “

9. twilighthours says:

Hockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockey……

10. AH says:

In 3 hours 5 mins the drive for #25 begins!!!!

GO HABS GO!

HABS IN 6!

PS: In Prust We trust!

11. Drew42 says:

Everybody complaining about Franky Boo being in the lineup… ever think that it might be MT way of making sure he gets one game played in the Playoffs…. this way should they win the cup he would be able to get his name on the cup…. just a thought….

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m guessing its a preference for a veteran who can skate thus no Murray and the kids.

• johnnylarue says:

Therrien has had a “hockey hard-on ” for Frankie since the day he laid eyes on him back in the Q. He’s playing him because, against all apparent logic, he believes it gives his team the best chance to win this hockey game.

And in all fairness, even the 50-year-old (in under 6′ NHL defenceman years) Bouillon will rarely make the kind of mistake that will cost his team a critical goal in an important hockey game… which is not yet something we can say definitively of Tiny or Beaubeau.

• FlyAngler says:

I just have to think that having Murray on the ice with a recent suspension for ringing somebody’s bell adds a great intimidation factor for the Habs especially with the skill players like Stamkos that the Bolts put out there. Of course that kind of logic and strategy really has no place in MT’s system hence Murray’s seat in the press box.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Danno says:

The Cube helped Therrien win the Memorial Cup. That’s why he loves him so.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. Habsman93 says:

Just finished putting Habs flag on flag pole getting so pumped for this !!!!! On another note how do you add an avatar?

13. Mattyleg says:

If any of you get the chance (I don’t know if it gets taped or not), I highly recommend listening to Marinaro from earlier this afternoon around 12:45. He LOST it at some caller. I didn’t hear it, only the end of it, but totally lost the rag on a caller who seemed to have been saying that Price isn’t any good.

He was furious. It was great, but as I said, I only caught the tail end of it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. Maritime Ronn says:

@ DipsyDoodler
    You posted,
    ” This “Subban is hated” meme that sports “journalists” are promoting is really starting to piss me off.
    ————————-
    dipsy.
    I saw Gordie Howe get booed….
    I saw Bobby Orr get booed…..
    Watch the movie “The Rocket” and see how he was treated in his days in places like New York or Toronto, and especially Boston….

And have Habs fans ever booed an opposing player?
    Ask Bobby Hull or Phil Esposito…and Eddie Shack.

The Winnipeg fans of today chant the name of just about every opposing goaltender to get him off their game….

Who cares if Subban gets booed?
    It’s actually a sign of recognition of a good/game-changing talented hockey player that most other fans would love to have wearing their own team’s uni.

Most hated player?
    Again, who cares?
    Maybe that could be “most envied player” that somehow has the fan’s love and will be making a lot of money moving forward.

Can Subban get better?
    Of course he can, if he stops the garbage of yapping and pretending he’s a tough guy…and stops the flash and gets back to basic hockey and picking the right spots.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m not talking about the booing, but about journalists who keep writing headlines about PK being the most hated player in the league (without telling you who is doing the hating nor how this was ascertained). In this case they all referred to SI as if it was a scientifically determined fact that PK was the most hated, when it wasn’t (as if that could be ascertained).

And the booing is well beyond what any other player has received in my hockey watching experience. This isn’t a star being booed by the opposition. This is creepy.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• bwoar says:

The Chara booing in Montreal kinda sets the standard.

Before that it was the Lindros booing.

Nothing new to this, just the usual fan hand-wringning.

In this case “creepy” = “I don’t like it”

• twilighthours says:

Disagree

• Paz says:

Chara is booed because he tried to injure Max and almost killed him.

How does that possibly set the standard?

• Ass in TO, Heart in the Forum says:

I remember us booing Bobby Orr every time he touched the puck. It was sign of respect that you were afraid that he was always a few strides away from blazing through our whole team. You know that other teams are afraid Subby is about to do the same.

Chara is a completely different species. He gets booed for an entirely different reason. Although can you blame the big lug for running Max. After all, Max did give Chara a little push after Max scored that game winning goal.

• Habfan10912 says:

“Picking the right spots”. Yep. I really believe this is what has troubled PK this season. He’ll figure it out..

• punkster says:

Ronn, I was OK with this until the last sentence and only because:

a) I don’t see yapping, I see an outspoken young man finding his way in a league dominated by tired old farts with tired old ideas on how to speak and act. PK and many new players who will follow him into the league will final change some of that.

b) I don’t see any pretending he’s a tough guy. I see a kid with flare who knows exactly how to get under the opposition’s skin, a shit disturber who can put the best players in the league off their game.

c) I don’t see flash, I see a talented young player with a unique style who is growing and learning.

Just a different way of looking at him I suppose.

Release the Subbang!!!

15. adamkennelly says:

t-minus 3 hours and 15 minutes. bar opens for pre-game at 4 central. tic toc tic doc

16. boing007 says:

Shoot, then shoot some more. Pepper their goalie until his head starts spinning.

Richard R

17. Mavid says:

3 hours and 15 minutes…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

18. habs001 says:

This is the most confident i have seen posters in regards the Habs winning since last year at the beginning of the Ottawa series….

• Mattyleg says:

(opens mouth to speak, raises finger. Closes mouth, drops finger.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Marcel Marceau has spoken.
        [purses lips, scrunches brow, turns head slightly, looks sideways]

• johnnylarue says:

I was just going to comment on how I really need to add the verbal pantomime to my repertoire…

[removes pen from drawer, inserts apple into pencil sharpener, halfheartedly votes for Trudeau in an attempt to mitigate disaster, pulls own finger.]

• JohnBellyful says:

I’m waiting for technology to advance — all it will take is a small device attached to the monitor — to allow for this form of communication. It would spare Boone having to type his blog.

• Mavid says:

ah yes..but we have the real Price this year…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Kooch7800 says:

LOL. Anderson scared me before the series last year and Price really laid an egg last season near the end of the year and in the playoffs.

Bishop may come back but he won’ t be 100% but I really think Price will win this series for the habs. He will have to be really on for us to have a chance. TB is going to be a tough close series but my gut says Montreal will win

• johnnylarue says:

I am nothing if not entirely lacking in any form of confidence whatsoever… be it in terms of choosing two matching socks in the morning, or trusting in my hockey team to grant me the rare privilege of 2+ rounds of playoff hockey.

Indeed, just removing the cap from my pen is a catastrophe waiting to happen in my world.