Prust will definitely play against Rangers

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien confirmed after Saturday’s morning skate in Brossard that Brandon Prust will return to the lineup Saturday night against the New York Rangers (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) after missing eight games with a shoulder injury.

“I feel good out there and I feel I’m ready to go,” Prust said after practice Friday in Brossard before dismissing a suggestion he was rushing back to play against his former team.

“You want to make sure it’s safe to come back and you’re not going to do any further damage,” said Prust, who also said he wanted to make sure the shoulder wasn’t going to be a concern if he had to fight.

Prust had played 273 consecutive games before injuring his shoulder in Tampa Bay on March 9.

Carey Price will start in goal against the Rangers, while Nathan Beaulieu, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday, will make his NHL debut.

The Canadiens held an optional skate Saturday morning in Brossard and Prust was on the ice again. The  players who didn’t skate were Michael Ryder, Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges, Travis Moen, Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais.

In 62 games with the Bulldogs, Beaulieu posted 6-19-25 totals and was minus-9.

“The beginning of the season was a bit tough, but I’ve been happy with my progress and want to make the most of this opportunity,” Beaulieu told reporters after Saturday’s morning skate.

Beaulieu will be paired with veteran Francis Bouillon.

Ryan White, recovering from an ankle injury, skated on the second rink in Brossard Saturday morning with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard.

The Canadiens also put defenceman Tomas Kaberle on waivers Saturday.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Prust expected back against Rangers, by Pat Hickey

Budaj comfortable in backup role to Price, by Dave Stubbs

Subban’s star shining brightly for Canadiens, by Stu Cowan

Habs practice photo gallery

Habs fever is welcome distraction, by Gazette political columnist Don MacPherson

Rangers’ Gaborik has to be better, by New York Daily News

Big, Bad Bruins might need new plan, by Pat Hickey

Penguins win big in trade sweepstakes, by Pat Hickey

NHL stats team watches the game differently, by Brenda Branswell

Guy Boucher not to blame for Lightning’s problems, by Pat Hickey

1. Et le but says:

No help from the Islanders today; 2 zip Pens with 5 left in the third. Flyers clinging to a 1 goal lead over the Bruins with less than 3 in the third… 2-1
    Edit: 3-1 Flyers under a minute left!

2. Red says:

Hey everybody. There’s a new thread. C’mon!

3. Bun E. Laroque says:

Looking forward to Beaulieu taking Gorges place on the power play.
    (Hopefully forever)

• B says:

It may be premature to expect or hope for Beaulieu to stick with the big club. That said, I hope he does well tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Bun E. Laroque says:

I don’t expect him to stick but I do hope that every time Therrien is tempted to put Gorges on the power play a phone call is made to Hamilton and Beaulieu high tails it to the Habs bench. I predict one assist for him tonight.

• savethepuck says:

Bulldogs only have 11 games left. It is highly possible he stays with the club. It was determined earlier that the 23 man active roster goes up after the trade deadline.

Philly up 2-0 on Bruins early in the 2nd. As much as it pains me to say it “go Flyers go”.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I think Beaulieu’s following the others as a guy getting a look at the big leagues, and probably not more.
      He may need a little longer term AHL time to reach his potential. And at the end of this stint (may it last 15 years and prove me wrong) he’s going to know what to work on.
      I think he’s going to be really something over the longer term though.

4. Et le but says:

Middle of the 2nd period, 2-0 Flyers over Boston…

5. Mattyleg says:

Scary about Crosby.

You don’t like to see an already pretty funny-looking guy get a puck in the chops.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. savethepuck says:

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

7. The Jackal says:

Not to jinx it, but whoever said that the Isles are the best team to end the Pens’ streak was probably right! Pens looking like they are thinking too much, just missed and open net, lots of fanning on shots. They may be over-thiking their expectations now and may have underestimated the Isles coming into this game after their streak and big additions.

8. habstrinifan says:

I hope Crosby is ok! I want to see a healthy Pens team in the playoffs… they are a good team to ‘cheer’ for if HABS are not winning it… which I think we are.

Enogh injuries for him. While if he is injured one might say see Iginla pickup was in vain.. it coud be the other way too. Even if Crosby is out temp… Iginla can elevate his game to great heights and will minimise the effect…way I see it.

Now onto the HABS!!! For some reason I am not nervous. I am excited to see Beaulieu and Gallant together again. Should I be nervous?? Am I over-confident??

Maybe someone can tell me if this is a ‘measuring-stick’ game so I can be appropriately nervous.

9. Chrisadiens says:

Crosby struck in the face with a puck. Uh oh….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

10. savethepuck says:

I am reading up on NHL.com about the 23 man roster. It says a team’s roster is to be a minimum of 20 players ( I remember New Jersey doing this a few years ago to save CAP space ) and a maximum of 23 players from the commencement of the regular season through the trade deadline.
    My question is;
    How many players can your active roster be increased to after the deadline, if that is actually the case, and how does this Affect your team’s CAP

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

11. AH says:

The Habs have had 2 days off, that usually means slow starts. Look for this to be a close one with the Habs keeping the Rangers in it.

12. habsfan0 says:

Is the Boston Philadelphia game available anywhere?

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Latest Vegas odds to win the cup: LA and Minn look like good value…
    Chicago Blackhawks 9/2
    Pittsburgh Penguins 9/2
    Boston Bruins 6/1
    Anaheim Ducks 8/1
    Montreal Canadiens 10/1
    Minnesota Wild 15/1
    Vancouver Canucks 15/1
    Los Angeles Kings 16/1

14. Un Canadien errant says:

For those of you who may have missed it, here is a Radio-Canada report that states that Danny Kristo is eager to sign with the Canadiens, that he thinks highly of the organization, that he has a good rapport with Director of Player Development Claude Lapointe, and his reasoning for staying at UND for four seasons instead of turning pro early.

I recap the Danny Kristo saga on my blog.

Hopefully we can get his signature on a contract in a week or two, and we fans can move on to obsessing over other matters.

15. habstrinifan says:

If Martin from Pittsburg is out I wont be surprised (an will be very happy) to see Pens pick up Kaberle. Money isnt an issue… similar cap hit (Kaberle less).

• Un Canadien errant says:

From your lips…

That would be quite the Easter present, I’d be hopping like a bunny.

Do you think we can get Després in return?…

16. AH says:

Excited to see Beaulieu play. Is his timing perhaps coinciding with the prognosis of Diaz? Diaz reports are not good, and is he not also a slick skating, good passer, ala Diaz?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes, Nathan Beaulieu is, as far as I can tell, having only watched him on TV, as you describe him, but with a better shot, and he’s bigger. Maturity, on-ice and off, is the big question for him however.

• neumann103 says:

I saw him live in what I believe was his 4th pro game [bulldogs at marlies] and his skating is unearthly good. He has great offensive instincts but he was the best skater on either team by a wide margin. In his second week of pro hockey

“Et le but!”

• HabsFanInSaintJohn says:

After watching Nathan play in Saint John the past few years, i can tell you that he is a much better hockey player than Diaz and has size and a bit of grit!

17. Bash says:

So “Krisco” really shone Mr. Hickey? :)

Did he make any slick plays?
    Was he slippery with puck?
    Greased lightning down the wing?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

18. commandant says:

A look at the Western Conference shopping lists for deadline day.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

19. leehammer says:

Obviously Iginla would never say a bad word about Calgary, but he really doesn’t look too upset to be outta there.

20. gK_HabsFan says:

With Kaberle likely being a compliance buyout next season, the Habs have close to $12M in cap space to go out a get a top six forward (Assuming Ryder isn’t signed).

Only issue is, there isn’t anyone good available…

Mentioned yesterday, if he goes to UFA this summer David Clarkson.

• HabFab says:

Please go easy on that figure. Capgeek doesn’t count the $2.835 million bonus money in their totals. So $9 million to sign 6 players.

• gK_HabsFan says:

This is what it came out to:

FORWARDS
        Bourque ($3.333m) / Plekanec ($5.000m) / Gionta ($5.000m)

Pacioretty ($4.500m) /Desharnais ($3.500m) / _________

Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Eller ($1.325m) / Gallagher ($0.870m)

Moen ($1.850m) / Dumont ($0.500m) / Prust ($2.500m)

Colby Armstrong ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
        Markov ($5.750m) / Emelin ($2.000m)

Gorges ($3.900m) / Subban ($2.875m)

Diaz ($1.225m) / Beaulieu ($1.275m)

Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
        Price ($6.500m)
        Budaj ($0.850m)

OTHER
        Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)

——

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,393,333; BONUSES: $2,835,000
        CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $11,741,667

*** I see what you are alluding to. However, $9M is still a lot of cap space lol

PS: I am not saying that we go out and re-sign Armstrong, Budaj, Dumont etc… But that players in the roles that they currently play will likely get money in that range.

I can’t believe I became one of those people that posts lineups :P

• Chrisadiens says:

The more I see Ryder play, the more I want him re-signed next year. Depends on the cap hit of course, but his shot is world class and he fits in nicely with our team.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HabFab says:

I agree but not too long (2 years @ $3.5-4 ml). That may however be the deal killer.

• JUST ME says:

I agree with you chrisadiens. I was not really happy to see him back but i understood that it was a business deal and finally Cole maybe closer to the end of the road than i thought…

What impresses me is Ryder is a better player now than he used to be in his first stint with the Habs. He used to get rid of the puck too fast and commit in numerous giveaways and was nothing else than a sniper . He may not be a complete player but he is better ,takes his time looks around and handles the puck a bit better. So i am not sure yet if we should resign him but i need to think about it when before i would have said no…

• B says:

Capgeek says they currently have $6,756,667 capspace next season. If they use the last compliance buyout on Kaberle, won’t that only clear up about a third of Kaberle’s $4.25M (or about $3M giving them about $9.8M)? The figure from capgeek does not include a backup goalie or a replacement for Ryder (having only 10 forwards under contract for next season).

I am probably missing something here.

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabFab says:

Add Kaberle’s salary plus Beaulieu’s to that total. Then subtract the bonus amount of $2.835,000 and that will give you the amount of Cap space left.

• commandant says:

I think that with Gionta and Markov off the books in 2014 the Habs wouldn’t be too worried about using some of that bonus money.

Also you are clearing all of Kaberle’s salary, not 2/3rds of it.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• B says:

I’m not sure if Beaulieu will be on their NHL roster next season. He may need more time in the AHL. It will be good to see how he looks tonight. Also, why does capgeek not subtract the bonus $s, can it be carried over or something like that (or are they just making a mistake in calculating the cap space)?

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabFab says:

That is why you add his money with Kaberle’s to the total they have.
            You can exceed the Cap by the bonus amount, but it is taken off the top the following year. It can be used as “overdraft”protection but not a good plan to use too much of it.

• Phil C says:

Compliance buyouts completely clear the cap space. They are limited to two per team.

• B says:

More digging, I found this explanation:

“Team will take the full cap hit on such players this season, less the $900,000 for not burying the player in the minors, but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond.”

Capgeek lists $6,457,143 for Gomez this season (the $7,357,143 caphit from his old contract, less the $.9M mentioned above). This seems consistent.

For Kaberle, that should be $4.25M – $.9M for a $3.35M caphit next season (if he is the compliance buyout)? That doesn’t sound like very much of a savings.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Phil C says:

Maybe. But I thought the $900K only applied to accelerated compliance buyouts like Gomez and Redden. Either way, $3.3M is not insignifcant with the cap going down by $6M.

• HabFab says:

Key words are found in second paragraph.
            “this season” and “but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond.”

• B says:

Do they still have the regular buyout window this summer (2/3s spread out over twice the remaining term) as well as another accelerated compliance buyout available?

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabFab says:

I believe so and really can’t see why not…who did you have in mind?

• B says:

Habfab: I was thinking that if they buyout Kaberle, then cap wise the regular buyout (if available) would seem to make more sense than the accelerated compliance buyout (ACBO).

Regular buyout:
            $4.25M-$1.4M (half of 2/3rds of his remaining) = about $2.85M savings next season. There would also be a $1.4M hit in 14/15 which should not really be a concern then.

ACBO: $.9M savings next season, no hit after that.

Edit: After more digging around, I believe there are no more “regular” (2 thirds over double the term) buyouts, but the new CBA allowed 2 amnesty buyouts where the bought out salaries would count toward revenues but not towards the teams cap. The added ACBO was special for this season only and it’s window has passed. The ACBO they used for Gomez counted as one of their 2 amnesty buyouts. So with the remaining amnesty buyout, they could buyout Kaberle and remove his entire cap hit for next season (and beyond) shaving $4.25M off of the currently signed cap hit total for next season. Sorry for my confusion on all of this. My head hurts now, I need a beer :)

–Go Habs Go!–

21. Gally27 says:

Glad Prusty back and excited to see Beaulieu!

Great player for Sea Dogs here.

Philly is now without Braydon Cobourn for a little while to go with Meszaros who just had surgery. Maybe Philly would like another overpaid Dmen, would fit in beautiful….lol

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If a team should tank ASAP, it’s them. Imagine if they got Seth Jones…

23. Phil C says:

I hate to say it, but Kaberle could be a good fit in Pittsburgh. They have guys like Orpik and Murray who could play with Kaberle to compensate for his play in his own end. And they have the forwards who could benefit from having a veteran puck mover.

The Pens are certainly vulnerable if Martin or Letang get knocked out of the playoffs.

As well, surely this is not about clearing a roster spot for Beaulieu. It makes me think they have a deal pending making room on the roster.

• HabFab says:

I think it is just smart business;
      - if someone picks him up… great!
      - if not he has cleared waivers so can be assigned to Hamilton and clear up a roster spot (23 man)
      - this allows MB to pick up a couple of depth rentals next week.

• Chrisadiens says:

^ What Frank said

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• B says:

Makes sense, if they need the roster spot, he can just as easily sit in the press box in Hamilton as he can in Montreal.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ouch!

• B says:

It’s a business, nothing personal to Kaberle. Nothing wrong with being prudent and within the current rules. Of course they may not need to free up his roster spot before playoffs when the expanded roster comes into effect. At the least the waiving him gives them options / flexibility.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

No problem with the post, I enjoyed the crack about him in the press box in Hamilton. Great stuff.

• Phil C says:

Saying a deal might be pending was perhaps over-exuberant. But it is either a salary dump for next year, or it signals the intent to make move if they can. Otherwise, why put the asset at risk? I thought Kaberle was good depth to have for a playoff run, even if he hurts the cap space for next year.

• HabFab says:

It appears that Kaberle will not play in any circumstances to avoid injuries. So the Habs will need to cover themselves if Bourque and Diaz cannot return this season.

24. Strummer says:

Writes Damien Cox:

” Pittsburgh Penguins loaded but let’s not crown them champs just yet”

“Beyond what other teams may or may not do, of course, there are any number of factors that could trip up the Penguins”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

25. FormalWare says:

Folks: Some of you are calling for JBo. I live in Calgary, and follow the tragicomic soap opera known as the Flames.

Bouwmeester has been a complete bust in Calgary! He has come no closer to earning his gigantic salary than Gomer did in Montreal.

Repeat after me: No, No, J-Bo! No, No, J-Bo…!

• JUST ME says:

I so agree with you ! Just do not know where people get their ideas on who the Habs should go for. If anybody followed his career they have to admit that he did not play up to par and was not worth the money he gets. And yes you make a good point about montrealers being quick to complaint about the salaries of players but ready to pull the trigger on anybody available just fior the sake of making a trade.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I wouldn’t call him a complete bust. He has 15 points this years, including 6 goals. He’s averaging more than 25 minutes a game against other teams best lines, and he can play in several roles. Has he not lived up to expectations – probably, but he is still useful. His cap hit is pretty high which makes it unlikely he will come to MTL, but you can’t argue he wouldn’t be a strong addition to our second pairing.

• Mark C says:

Normal stats, advanced stats, and the eye test all agree. JayBo just isn’t very good. Certainly, not worthy of trading assets for, and absorbing the $6.8M cap hit next year.

• savethepuck says:

No matter how good or bad be’s playing, the 6.7 million CAP hit next year would cripple Bergevin’s ability to do anything.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s excessive. Scott Gomez was a a higher cap hit, and didn’t earn his icetime but had it granted to him based on reputation. Jay Bouwmeester deservedly plays big minutes, although his offence never really got going as expected. I say this with the bitter experience of twice having picked this guy for my fantasy teams.

Having said that, I don’t think we should trade for this guy, it’ll cost too much to get him, and he’s a lefty, of which we already have too many.

26. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Hoping someone picks up Kaberle off waivers is like throwing a Hail Mary pass without a football…

27. Mr_MacDougall says:

Man, sun shining, still a little snow on the ground, Easter weekend.. I’d love it if the first round was starting today.. I’ll settle for a good ‘ol fashioned NYR beatdown!

28. Bill says:

I want Hal Gill back. The Habs’ penalty kill is mediocre at best and he’s an awesome team guy. Having him to kill penalties could make the difference in a playoff run. Playoffs are all about special teams.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I heard a stat on the radio that last year the Habs killed off every 5 on 3 with Hall Gill defending. The only time the opposition scored was every time Gill was in the box.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree, ‘specialists’ are extremely valuable come playoff time.. An aside, Gill mentioned in an interview how he loved playing in Montreal because of the fans intelligence.. he said many times people stopped him on the street and complimented his PK prowess, something he never heard from Toronto fans.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He has a two-year contract, that’s an issue.

29. Skeptical says:

Timo: Don’t like either but. I think the laffs will win. Lupul is gonna be the man.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I had him last year on my fantasy team last year, he ruled. This year, I picked him up just before he came back from the broken arm, then got cute/stupid and released him when he got suspended, hoping I could scoop him back up in a couple days. Not a chance. Kicking myself.

30. HabFab says:

TSNBobMcKenzie – Suspect we’ll see more teams do same with waivers in coming days. Put bubble guys on, let em clear, hold onto em, demote only if req’d.

31. kirbhabs says:

…. Pits likes vet d-man, have cap space and need something on the back end. Plus the can buy him out end of season

Kaberle on waivers! Trade to follow perhaps?

33. Steven says:

As per Bob McKenzie, Kaberle on waivers.

34. thebonscott says:

Dear Mr. Bergevin, anthony stewart and chris stewart are the perfect easter gift, please try

that is all,
    bon

Buck the Fruins.

35. Danno says:

Just because we will never get tired of watching this:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Penguins just announced Paul Martin out for 6 weeks.

Its forsure Prust is in, Stubbs just tweeted.

38. WindsorHab-10 says:

Glad to see Prust back. Definitely a sparkplug for the team. Hope he’s 100%. Go Habs!!!!

39. Danno says:

mispost

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Who wants to bet Sens-Laffs is a 3 point game tonight?

41. gK_HabsFan says:

Man, imagine if the Pens are down by a goal (If that ever happens again lol) with 1 min remaining, and pull their goalie. The 6 players on the ice would likely be:

1) Crosby
    2) Malkin
    3) Neal
    4) Iginla
    5) Kunitz/Dupuis/…
    6) Letang

damn………

42. Skeptical says:

What do you think. Should we start BUDAJ tonight?

43. Mark C says:

How about Charles Hudon? 2 goals and a helper in a 3-1 win over Patty Roy’s Ramparts. Grigorenko was on the ice for all 3 goals. If Chicoutimi can’t complete the comeback, I wonder if Hudon will be sent to Hamilton ala Vail.

44. Phil C says:

Lots of interesting games today:

Toronto-Ottawa. Ottawa could catch Boston in the standings, unbelievable. Toronto could catch Ottawa if they win.

Winnipeg-Carolina. The Jets can’t quite bury the ‘Canes tonight, but they certainly could throw some dirt on their season if they win as they would go up 8 points with only 15 games left. Conversely, a Carolina win would put them right back into it, being only 4 points back with 3 games in hand on the Jets.

Washington-Buffalo. Whichever team loses will seriously hurt their playoff chances, especially if either New York team wins. The Capitals could be dangerous if they sneak into 8th, so hoping for a Buffalo win.

Getting into “must win” territory for the Oilers and Coyotes if they want to stay in the playoff hunt. Conversely, there could be many more sellers after this weekend.

Habs and Rags. New York are a desperate but vulnerable team. Gaborik was practicing on the 4th line this week and was not happy. I think the Habs could thump them if they can get a few early. But if they let them hang around…

45. Mavid says:

Oooops sorry just assumed most have seen it I am a bad girl

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

A major statement from Torts, about the state of things in all the other teams in the league:

47. Danno says:

Game day – Habs entertain the Rangers

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

48. HUDSONHAB says:

Excited for tonight’s Ranger game. Also, interested in Tor/Ott. The Sens are getting to close for comfort so may actually be hopping for (pun intended) the Leafs :/
    ….Hab4life….

49. Hobie Hansen says:

Great to see Brandon Prust make his way back into the lineup tonight. There was a few games in his absence where the offense seemed to dry up and I was wishing Prust could hop over the boards, throw a few hits and get in the goalie’s face to get things going.

And how about Sheldon Souray out in Anaheim? What a waste of talent he was in Edmonton, or should I say Norfolk. People often accused him of being weak defensively and not only is he still hammering pucks past goalies but he’s 3rd in the league in plus/minus. He Scored another game winner last night. He’s still out there taking on guys 15 years younger than he is and his teammates absolutely love him. I wish he never left and would have loved to see him in all those battles against Boston the last three years.

Souray would have dropped the gloves with Chara either immediately or shortly after Chara injured Pacioretty. He also wouldn’t let Lucic get away with all his nonsense without having to answer for it.