Prust, Armstrong, Gallagher sign for charity Friday in Brossard

Brandon Prust

Canadiens forward Brandon Prust is in the autograph spotlight on Friday.
Richard Wolowicz, Getty Images Sport

Canadiens fans will have a chance to meet Brandon Prust, Colby Armstrong and Brendan Gallagher – and possibly others, who might drop by at the last minute (no guarantees) – Friday from 7-8 p.m. at Le Skratch, 1875 Panama Ave. in Brossard from 7-8 p.m.

This is a bit of a “Welcome to Montreal” event organized for the fan-favourite Prust by Hockey Helps, and Armstrong and Gallagher are confirmed to be part of it.

It will cost you $8 for a Prust autograph, in keeping with his jersey number; $20 will get you signatures of both Armstrong and Gallagher. A portion of proceeds will go to two Montreal charities in the players’ names – the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation and the Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation’s Stratos Raphael Angelopoulos Fund.

There will be items up for bid in a silent auction, and former Canadien Yvon Lambert will call a live auction on site.

• PLEASE NOTE: Le Skratch is a licensed establishment and admits only those 18 years of age and older. From 6:30 to 7 p.m., a signing for those under 18 will be held at an adjacent restaurant; arrive at Le Skratch and you’ll be directed there.

1. boing007 says:

Sabres beat the Bruins. Heehee.
    Flyers couldn’t hold a 3-1 lead against the Devils.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

2. boing007 says:

Rangers sent Chris Kreider down to their AHL club. His play looked promising last year.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

3. frontenac1 says:

Watch those Ducks this year amigos. 4-2 vs the Wings in the 3rd.

4. frontenac1 says:

Sabres 4 Bruins 2 with 2 mins to go in 3rd

5. frontenac1 says:

Toews in a tilt with Thornton?! Weird.

6. Mavid says:

Needless to say the Karlsson injury is all they have talked about for the last couple of days here..I feel bad for the kid, I really liked him..what bothers me is how these homers on the radio, and the fans are all crying for Cooks head..saying it was reckless even if it was not intentional..yep the same fans that thought Lurch should not have got anything..so tell me what is the difference? When they talk about it, they always say “Norris Trophy Winner” Karlsson..or the best player in the NHL Karlsson..and make it sound like it is that much worse because its Karlsson…and Melynk is a moron..I am surprised he was even sober..this is the same guy that said that all of the other 29 teams were envious of the depth of the Senaturds…really?? When we were decimated with injuries last year we were told to stop making excuses..they have 2 players out and the world has ended..I don’t feel sorry for them..

• on2ndthought says:

so much is wrong with your post its hard to comment …. WATCH the game, watch the replays! think about why you skate into someone skate up and bring skate down. accidents happen, this was as much an accident as Koivu’s eye , Williams didn’t know how badly it would hurt, but that was a stick to the face, not an attempt to lift a stick; this a skate jabbed into a leg

7. Rudy says:

For anyone who watched 24CH tonight, I was asked a couple of questions by the 24CH crew before the Washington game. Any chance I made it in the episode?

8. Sportfan says:

THOSE BUTTS LEFT MY GAME OUT :( I mean the game I went to wasn’t on 24 CH haha oh well I’m curious to see the losing streak and see how the react.

• JohnBellyful says:

Speaking of butts … there was a lot of chatter earlier today about the team’s need for grit. As one of our more knowledgeable posters put it:
      “Having said that, I wish a trade could be made providing somewhat more grit for our backend.”
      Speak for yourself, Burl’ :). My backend’s just fine, and certainly doesn’t need grit.
      Sounds like you have a problem with the digestive system. I think you’re tackling the problem from, well, the wrong end.
      Chickens swallow small stones (grit) to help grind up their food.
      Might be a lesson there.
      Edit: The Habs might want to consider adding grit to the players’ diet. Give ‘em stones. Wouldn’t back down from anybody.

9. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Has anyone suggested going after Pierre-Marc Bouchard? Any interest for this upcoming UFA? He’s struggling now but maybe a change of scenarywould do him good?

10. frontenac1 says:

Leafs,Leafs blah,blah. You want to beat them? Run their sissy goalie. Like Gio did last year.It put them in that classic tailspin that they could not recover from.Plus ca Change amigos!

11. Dickie9 says:

I am a Habs fan I could not give a rats ass if Karlsson is out for the year and Cooke is still playing. It is only a benefit to my team. Go Habs Go

• boing007 says:

I prefer winning against the opposing team when all their best players are playing against us. It’s a more satisfying victory.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

12. rhino514 says:

As one poster noted, the early PP goals are hiding the fact that this team is going to have trouble scoring 5 on 5. I believe the team is averaging a paltry 0.58 goals a game at even strength. That is downright scary and must be at or near the bottom of the league.
    I predicted before the beginning of the season that if the team can simply match other teams in goals on five on five, they will be all right; the re-emergence of Markov will ensure a good PP and though the team isn´t doing great on the PK, I believe they have the personnel to improve in that area and have a decent penalty kill.
    But the lack of five on five scoring is a reason why the team is having trouble putting anybody away and needs to improve for the habbies to be a solid team.
    The team is still challenged to replace the 50 or so goals over a full season which Cammaleri and AK brought to the team.
    The good news is that there is some potential upside;_Galchenyuk hopefully will keep improving and Max Pac and Cole) I´m not so sure anymore about Eric) will start putting the puck in the net with more frequency

• B says:

They have scored 21 even strength goals in 13 games. Pretty much middle of the pack in that regard. They have allowed 19 against at even strength, among the top 10 teams in that regard.

–Go Habs Go!–

• FishOutOfWater says:

Middle of the pack with teams like calgary, colorado, la, columbus, minnesota and florida. thats not a great group to surround yourself with.. the islanders have more gf than mtl. the offense is coming between pleks, max, cole, rene, eller and PK and that russian with the bionic knees oh and these new kids on the block that have better hands than price. no doubt the team could score more and that would help them win games, but be patient and this is when it starts

13. Sportfan says:

Watching 24 CH (cause who wants to do a term paper) and MT says get the mentality of scoring 3 goals you win most games by scoring 3. All I was thinking was I’d prefer if they scored 5 goals a game and had that as their mentality.

14. Stormin says:

My 2 cents on Cooke Karlssson incident,

Really seemed like Cooke was attempting a defensive Pin, but was tremendously careless when he realized Karlsson was to quick and was going to get away. he lifted his skate in an attempt to wrap left leg around Karlsson’s outer leg almost in a slew foot attempt to keep him from getting loose, This was blatantly careless while wearing skates.. Maybe it is time the NHL adopt careless behavior as per the Colton Orr run at Plekanec the other night, The league is watching careless behavior with stick incidents and head shots,, time for zero tolerance on careless behavior and or skate incidents,, if you decide it necessary to lift your skate off the ground when finishing a check, you should be responsible if said incidents that occur from careless behavior..
    Ps sure looked like Cooke stomped down with his foot as well, although i hate this player from his previous well documented history…

• H.Upmann says:

Absolutely a stomp. It’s Cooke after all. I compared this incident to what I know about below waist kicks in the martial arts… just see how his right foot pivots slightly and there is an opposite direction force happening as the left skate makes contact. That’s how you make a low level kick count more. E.g. when you kick a standing object close to the ground, rather than just kicking it with your left foot alone, there is more force when the pull your right foot and body in the opposite dir for more force.. It also balances your own standing structure. In the replay, it looks like a freak accident because of their collision against the boards, but that just makes the cut even worse..anyways my random pre dinner thought :)

Feel terrible for Karlsson though. I had a foot injury last month and really it was tough dealing with it. Can only imagine with this kind of injury. Makes doing basic things impossible.

15. frontenac1 says:

@Hobie. Neil is a good Lad. I would have him on my team in a New York Minute.Saludos!

16. Strabo says:

Brady Vail(97) of the Windsor Spitfires is playing tonight. On the Sportsnet network.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

17. otter649 says:

Interesting or not – Cooke says he did not intentionaly step on Karlsson leg but go back to The Habs/Pens playoff series a few season back Cooke was the only player to say rookie PK Subban intentionally stepped on Jordan Stall’s skate/foot when everyone else felt it was an accidental collision causing an injury…….

18. Sportfan says:

Jeez I like how Melnyk ran his mouth its pretty pathetic how about the fact the refs missed another call and its been whispered for a second then the focus is on Cooke and frankly I believe Cooke is trying to change his game.

19. JohnBellyful says:

If someone had told me before the season started that a meteorite would explode over Russia, injuring hundreds, I woulda said ‘No way!’

Edit: What! We almost got hit by an asteroid???
    What’s that leave — Haley’s Comet?

• Mr. Biter says:

Nyet, Russians say it was Americian Spy Plane and was shot down by brave soviet defenders. I guess I better start watching the national geographic channel for the damage a big meteorite would make. This was only a small piece. Was watching a bit about meteorites on Wed. and we can’t really see or track them after they pass Saturn and we get 4 or 6 months notice at the most of when it’s coming.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

20. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Nobody complaining about Kassian clearing waivers?

21. habstrinifan says:

Did I see somewhere Sens have picked up MAB. If so Timo may be having a tough time dealing with this.

22. Habfan10912 says:

How did Timo vote 7 times? :)

———————————–

23. Chris says:

If you don’t like stats, just skip this post. :)

Even Strength

This season, Montreal is scoring ~1.62 goals per game , as compared to 2.00 goals per game last season. This shocked me, as it has felt like the team is playing a much more wide open game than last year.

Montreal is giving up 1.54 goals per game, as opposed to the 2.17 goals against per game last season.

I think most of us have been raving about the offence and disparaging the team’s defence, but the numbers actually paint the opposite story. So either our eyes are lying, or the Habs have been a bit fortunate that Carey Price came out of the gate playing fantastic hockey this season as opposed to being a bit weaker to start the year last season.

And the early flurry of goals we saw this season (many on the power play) seem to have been an aberration. The team is gradually falling down the goals scored standings. They had peaked at 5th, but are now back down to 20th.

Power Play

This season, the Habs are averaging 1.08 PP goals per game, converting 20.3% of their league leading 108:02 minutes of PP time (or 8:16 per game). That’s right, Habs fans…for all the whining that we hear on these forums about the refs having it out for the Habs, no team has enjoyed more power play time than Montreal.

Last season, the Habs enjoyed the third most power play time in the NHL, but the average PP time per game was noticeably lower (6:08). Their conversion rate was paltry (14.3%) and they only scored 0.52 PPG per game.

The amount of power play time is a reflection of Therrien letting the players skate. And he should be commended for this. If you’re going to ice a team with small, quick players, your big advantage should be that you draw a lot more penalties because of your speed and agility. Under Martin/Cunneyworth, this was not the case.

The improved power play is largely the Markov effect. Markov has, once again, made the Habs power play much more dangerous, just as it has been an elite group pretty much every year that he’s been leading it post-lockout. He’s diminished in just about every other aspect of his game, but he is still an elite quarterback on the power play.

Penalty Kill

This season, Montreal’s penalty kill (81.7%) has struggled. They’ve given up 0.92 goals against per game, while averaging 7:43 on the penalty kill.

Last year, Montreal had an elite penalty kill unit (88.6%) that only yielded 0.44 goals against per game, while averaging 6:22 per game on the penalty kill.

This is also the Markov effect. Markov should not be out on the penalty kill…he and the team are getting murdered. The team should go back to the Gorges-Subban pairing as the first wave, and use Emelin-Bouillon as the second wave.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Bring back Gill for the PK…NOT!

• Chris says:

Not Gill. But Gorges-Subban getting the lion’s share of the time would go a long way to fixing this issue.

This season, the short-handed ice time totals are:

Josh Gorges – 3:48 (6 goals against)
        Andrei Markov – 3:23 (5 goals)
        Alexei Emelin – 3:10 (6 goals)
        Francis Bouillon – 2:12 (3 goals)
        Raphael Diaz – 1:54 (3 goals)
        P.K. Subban – 1:26 (0 goals)

Subban was third in short-handed ice time last season, but this year he has been relegated to the bottom of the pile. Subban was very good in that role, whereas Andrei Markov is not. Markov was good in the past, but it has never been his strong suit. At his age and coming off his injuries, I have no idea why Therrien insists on throwing Markov out there first every time.

• Bill says:

Good post, but those GPG numbers are ugly. Sure seems like they’ve scored more than that.

Full Breezer 4 Life

24. habstrinifan says:

Habfan17:
    “That is what Subban needs to do, Harnessing him hurts the team more than the few mistakes he will make if he is let to do what he does best. ”

I am not gonna give reasons or whatever why I totally agree with your post. I just like to see a HABS team with at least one player who reminds me of hockey night at the FORUM. And it looks like in P.K./Galchenyuk/Gallagher and Price we have 4. Let them strut.

Since the start of the season, P.K has done/said, at least in public, what even his worst critic must admit are team first things. And it hasnt been mentioned before, but has anyone noticed that on every optional skate so far P.K has been there…and he usually take sthe ice early now. I dont recall this being so last year… maybe I am wrong. Bottom line I hope this kid works out here in Mtl and stays here a happy warrior. I am totally biased for ‘many reasons’ that really shouldnt matter… even at my advanced age of 65.

But one overriding reason, I became a HABS fan living in TORONTO is I could always cite our GREAT ARTISTRY and shove that fact in the faces of dumb catatonic Leafs fan whose hockey senses had been dulled into near comatose state by the inert and inept hockey that their team played.
    I remember walking around with my 1993 cup paraphernalia IN THE SKY DOME restaurant of all places while they all bawled their stooopid eyes out proclaiming “we were robbed” and “head to head we woulda won the cup”.

It’s a shame a world class city like Toronto must suffer the blight called the Leafs and their fans … in their midst.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s funny – I like Subban, but he will only be a star as a team player. Blasting away and showing off, he’s good for 7 goals a season. But playing on a team, channeling his energy and skill and sharing the puck, this man is going to score 20 or more some year soon. Playing like he did last year will get the results he got last year. He’s smart and full of life, and he’ll get that.
      He’s not yet a quarterback, and has a lot to learn. If he learns to play with a band rather than as a soloist, man, he is going to be one to remember.

• wjc says:

Habstrinifan, you are being very hard on Toronto fans. You are being hard on the Toronto Maple leafs.

In 1993 the Leafs finished the season 3 points behind Montreal and were within a game of playing Montreal Canadiens. The Leafs took L.A. to seven games that year.

A world class city does not suffer because of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They love their team just as Montreal loves their team. A Toronto Montreal final in 1993 would have been a great series.

wjc

• habstrinifan says:

Just being a fanatic. Of course in reality what I wrote is stooopidnesss which you take too literally.

But hey now’s the time to gloat… after two wins and life seems good and the asteroid missed us by……this much.Well it really wasn’t close….but closer than the Leafs chance of winning a cup!

Edit… and oh yeah 1993 was a fabulous year for me..business was great and the HABS won. And I admit (but wont in public) I didnt want to face the Leafs especially with Burns coaching them. Burns had devloped a real HATE for the Habs when he moved to Toronto…. I know Timo wont like to hear this but anyone who lived in Toronto would tell you so.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Just to use a classroom analogy…Toronto is that kid in your high school class who during homeroom, talks louder than everyone else, overstating how wonderful he is, and during bad times , overstating how trying things are. He takes up a lot of room, doesn’t give a damn about anybody else, and is very easy to confuse. And that whole “world class city” baloney …. well you can store that with all the rest of Toronto’s conceits. Never heard a Montrealer call Montreal “world class”, sure it was pure sarcasm….

25. Loonie says:

I really hope somebody throws Eugene Melnyk’s words back in his face when Chris Neil injures somebody.

He pins players against the boards and starts throwing bombs at them routinely. Takes runs at players regardless of their positioning and plays with a blatant disregard for the safety of the opposition.

I have sympathy for Erik Karlsson, but none for the Senators as a team.

I would be ashamed to have Chris Neil as a Hab.

• Habfan10912 says:

I just heard Bob McKenzie say that a hockey coach or executive described it this way. “It was a reckless play by a dangerous player.” McKenzie also said the other twenty or so people he spoke to all said it was an unfortunate accident.

———————————–

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What did he say when Savard’s career was ended? When it’s his player, he’s outraged. Give me a break. Cooke should have been thrown out of the league long time ago. As an owner, he is partially responsible for players like Cooke still playing.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Loonie,

To come to Neil’s defense, and to play the Devil’s advocate a bit here. Neil isn’t a predatory player like Cooke. Neil is sent out to disturb and pester other teams’ stars on occasion but when he gets nasty it’s usually against a tougher player. Cooke goes out there and intentionally tries to injure guys, often star players. Neil can be a bastard but he generally is clean and hits hard.

• Loonie says:

I understand what you’re saying Hobie, but Neil plays to hurt the opposition. He isn’t on the ice primarily to defend stars, he’s out there as you say to agitate and to inflict punishment.

In addition, I don’t think we can say he has benevolent intentions when he again routinely pins players against the boards and throws a half dozen punches before they get an opportunity to defend themselves.

The Penguins were hypocritical for publicly chastising the league for there not having been discipline on Crosby’s injury. And it was because they have Matt Cooke. The Senators fall into the same category today from my view, because they have Chris Neil.

If you want to be able to point the finger at the league for not ridding itself of meatheads, don’t pay meatheads to be meatheads for your company.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m sure Neil has stuck out a knee or an elbow on occasion but there was a point where Cooke’s only purpose was to try and end a player’s season. Neil takes his role and pushes it to the limit, as do a lot of other guys but I think Cooke took it one step further.

Some players develop the skill of being able to catch guys off balance, with their heads down and so on. Cooke has that talent but he also has zero respect and an almost evil side to him. I don’t think Neil is like that. I could be wrong but that’s the way I see it.

• otter649 says:

Neil hit Drury in Buffalo to which Lindy Ruff with the last line change put out a line of thugs against Ottawa’s first line centred by Spezza & ended up there were 7 altercations/fights ? with the high/low lite was Andrew Peters fighting Sens goalie Ray Emery…..

• Mr. Biter says:

otter, reminds me of a Habs game in Boston a few years ago and we did’t even try to injure anyone during the game.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

26. ed says:

why would Bergevin give ryan oreilly a long term 5 million deal when he just fought so hard to give Subban a bridge contract??

it makes no sense. none.

any discussion of us getting oreilly would have to involve him signing a bridge contract, which is exactly what he doesn’t want to sign, and why he’s not playing hockey on feb 15th

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree completley especially given the decrease in the cap next season. The Rockies may very well have a limited market just because of the cap issue alone.

———————————–

27. habstrinifan says:

On Eller/Therrien.

I think Eller’s resurgence is simple. Therrien had to shake up the lines. The ‘first’ line was/is still not firing on all cyclinders. And the kids line with Prust was waning a bit. And Armstrong was simply a non factor.
    Since Therrien obviously knew and liked Armstrong and Prust he made a bold, if fortuitous move, and linked them with Eller. This was still gonna be considered nothing more than a 3rd/4th line.

I think this worked out amazing… all three players seem to be playing their best last two games. In fact doesn’t the ‘chemistry’ remind you of the Cole/Pacs/DD line coming together. This again was a line juggling move under JM which WORKED.

It was not ‘genius’ on Therrien’s part but it also is unfair not to give him his due. I think Therrien’s coaching and line juggling will show itself one way or another in the next stretch of games.

Here’s my own humble set of criteria on which I would judge Therrien in the upcoming games.
    A) More game management should the team run into a situation like Toronto. In the Toronto game the first goal was becaus eof an absolute over eager pinch and slow pivot by Markov early. Therrien should have put a steadying hand early on this game.
    B) If he breaks up the Prust/Armstrong/Eller line or does not give them appropriate minutes to continue their ascendancy then that’s an error.
    C)Bourque with the kids is better than Prust was with the kids.. Prust took on teh duties of a protector…with Eller and Armstrong Prust is a hockey player first and fighter second. Dont be surprised if this line becomes better than the ‘top line’. Eller is a damn good player and he improves Armstrong a whole lot.

D)How he uses Markov in next stretch of games is gonna be a factor in judging his coaching. This might come across as blasphemous to many here, but Markov needs(yes I think he has assumed and be given an ascendancy) … he needs to buy into the defense by committee that is developing. Which is why I liked Therrien’s quote re ‘liking his six d-men’. He is looking at it as a group.. I think Markov has to now and expect less than 25 minutes in a game. Therrien gets an Aplus for pairing Boullion with Subban 5 on 5… they like each other and have each other’s back. I dontthink there is any envy between them. Another criteria then would be his usage of P.K and his establishing a shutdown duo… not permanently so but able to play such when needed.

In short I give Therrien a B or C+ for coaaching but a failing grade for not putting his foot down’ re room ‘ascendancy’. I think the younger players including P.K. and the not so ‘powerful’ vets (Prust Bourque Moen Boullion) are taking over this team by their play… to the betterment of the team.

Now the Pacs/DD/Cole lines. I love what Cole and Pacs gave us last year. But I am not in the glorification camp of this line. Max and Cole are hard working bulldogs. DD is always gonna be working to master his craft despite his size. And when they click it is gonna be like a runaway truck… opponents better beware. But I wont be surprised if they never in this short seaons become as good as last year. (I sincerely believe the Eller/Prust/Armstrong line may not have the work ethic but has a greater skillset than Cole/Pac/DD and more versatility) I see the same with the kids with Bourque (playing as he is now… more talent than our ‘first line’…Essentially I am saying if you see these two lines start rising it will coincide with a rise in the standings of the HABS.
    So Therrien has Cole/Pacs/DD/Plekanec/Gionta/Moen/White/the “n-word guy when he comes back) to play with to round out his lines. I am not demoting/discounting those guys. But in my opinion the long range ‘style’ of this team is better served if the Eller line and the Gally lines as described are kept together and prosper.

Edit:::: And then again what I wrote is gobblygook and I should get off my lazy arse and go to the gym.. but .. it’s also Friday and I have to vacuum the damn house tomorrow…and I am primed for the Philly game……

• Habfan10912 says:

Nice post trin. I especially like your take on managing Markov’s minutes. PK had some more toi last night so maybe we are seeing that now. I think when this team moves the Puck out if their zone and can generate speed through the neutral zone, we are dangerous. Against the Leaf’s we were not able to do that.

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks! If Markov’s minutes were reduced and P.K took up some of the slack it should mean that things are working out well for the HABS long term… so it woud be a good sign.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what I am sensing is that the Players are being better communicated with individually of what Their specific roles within the Team’s expectations are

…I think that emphasis is a result of Bergevin’s fundamental policy and philosophy as well as it is Therrien’s

29. Dr.Rex says:

Desharnais + Dumont for O Reilly.

Just a thought.

30. Bill says:

Cooke is not the first player to slice a guy with his skate, but he is the first I can remember to be widely suspected of doing it deliberately. That’s because – and Melnyk is right about this – he’s a scumbag dirty player who would be an embarrassment to any other professional sports league.

So while I think it is pretty nearly impossible that he could have done this on purpose, and while I don’t think the video makes it even look like he did it on purpose, the suspicions are understandable and valid.

The larger issue is that the NHL is such a joke of a league that players like Cooke are still around after their fifth suspension. Lemieux should’ve showed some class a long time ago and gotten rid of this guy.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• V says:

I don’t understand why you refer to Cooke as a scumbag. The stats support the notion that this guy has changed his approach based on his previous experience. Isn’t that the whole point of the suspensions he has received… He might have been a ‘scumbag’ but has significantly reformed. It was an accident.

• Re: the point of suspensions, there isn’t one, other than to make people feel like justice was served. So long as players can end each others’ careers with no fear of more than a 5-, 10- or even 20-game suspension in an 80-game season, there is absolutely no incentive for them to clean up their acts — especially if their skill at dirty play is the whole reason they’re in the league.

Re: this incident specifically, you’re right, Cooke did seem to have changed his tune, and if it had been Datsyuk instead of him, the conversation would have been about safer ankleguards instead of dirty play. But when something like this happens, it’s entirely reasonable to be suspicious about the intentions of repeat offenders.

• wjc says:

I thought they were brother’s in the union, fighting the good fight against the owners. Hockey is a fast game and accidents happen, this was an accident.

A few players have had this happen including Selanne and wears protective socks. If all the players wore these socks this injury would never happen and would not have been noticed in the Ottawa game.

wjc

I gave the Habs a “B” because they look like a team that could finish anywhere between 6th to 15th over-all. If they looked like a top 5 team over-all I’d have voted “A”. Mind you last season was an “F” for finishing 28th but an “A” for drafting 3rd over-all. If a “D” would be finishing outside the playoffs in 9th or 10th in the East I’d still prefer the “F”. However given the choice between an “A” or a “B” and an “F” I still prefer the former and not the latter. However an “F” is better than a “D” or an “E”. As long as we don’t have to see the team finish year in and year out teetering between a “C” and a “D” we should be OK.

32. Chris says:

I gave Therrien a C, although it should be a C+.

The team has performed relatively well, and he deserves credit for loosening the reins on the offensive players and having the guts to go with Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

On the flip side, I don’t think his handling of Eller, Weber and Subban has been outstanding. And I’m one of the few that thinks he’s being a little too gung-ho on the Ryan White issue. The penalty killing, which has typically been a strength, has been much worse this season as I feel that the team is being far too aggressive. I also think he’s been over-playing Colby Armstrong (scrub) and David Desharnais (hasn’t got his A-game in gear yet). I’m also not crazy to see Tomas Kaberle, a $4 M+ asset, rotting in the press box. Finding him some ice time and then trying to deal him makes sense in my world. Finally, there is just too much coaching through the media for my tastes.

I don’t really give him much credit for Rene Bourque. That is all on Bourque coming in with a fresh outlook after a season of injuries, suspensions and doubt. Getting Brian Gionta back also makes this team much stronger, even though Gionta’s scoring hasn’t been there. Gionta hounds the puck and has been one of the better Habs forwards, in my opinion.

The Habs had a bit of a cream-puff schedule so far…taking this poll at the end of February will give a better handle on where the team is really sitting and what impact Therrien is having.

• Loonie says:

On Kaberle. It’s probably best to keep him in the pressbox to leave GMs with the illusion of his previous exploits instead of his current capabilities as a player.

Weber has been given as many chances as O’Byrne was, probably more. Sometimes he answered the call and sometimes he didn’t. But in Weber’s case specifically, he’s not in the long term plans and isn’t of better quality than Diaz.

No issues with how he’s been handled at all.

• Chris says:

Then cut him loose. See if you can deal him for even a 5th or 6th round pick.

But letting a 24 year old kid rot on the bench is the definition of stupidity. Weber CAN play. His problem is that Montreal have too many players like him. I would almost guarantee that Peter DeBoer would have some interest in Weber based on their time in Kitchener, where DeBoer leaned on Weber VERY heavily.

It’s not solely on Therrien (Bergevin makes the trade calls), but kids that don’t play rapidly become assets that aren’t worth anything. Bouillon has been great thus far, but he came in expecting to platoon as a 7th defenceman. He should be doing so.

• Loonie says:

Weber has value I agree. His development has been victimized by a numbers game.

A team with an anemic Powerplay(The Avs) could really use him.

• HabFanSince72 says:

We don’t know Weber hasn’t been shopped.

But if all we get for him is a 5th then we should keep him. A 24 year old NHL capable player on a minimum wage is clearly better than a 5th round pick.

• Loonie says:

I know this runs contrary to your mathematical philosophy regarding the draft but Brendan Gallagher was a 5th round pick.

As was a future top 6 lock in Charles Hudon.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I agree on some of Your points Chris, but a C for 8 & 4 is too low

• I agree with just about everything you said, except the C. : )

Those are all things that are apparent to a fan who watches the games and hears the interviews. But the really significant reversal of fortunes with no big player transactions since last year — early in the season though it admittedly is — has got to count for a lot.

To my mind, a coach gets a C if he inherits a good team that has previously performed well, and his team continues to perform equally well under him. Basically, he hasn’t made the team better or worse. But to take a basement-dwelling team to 5th place after 25% of a shortened season — and coming in cold, with no training camp to get to know his players — is a job very well done. Like I said below, I rally don’t like the guy, and I take issue with some of his methods, but there’s no arguing with his results so far.

• Bill says:

There weren’t player transactions of serious note – Prust fans will disagree – getting Gionta and Markov back, along with the contributions of Galchenyuk and Gallagher is like adding four good players to last year’s roster. So Therrien did have a serious upgrade to work with.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Well, that’s fair. Much as I like them both though, I’m not sure Prust and Gionta have added too many points to our Win column. But I’ll definitely concede that Markov is a big difference-maker.

• habstrinifan says:

You present a good argument for a grade better than C. Especially on the points of no training camp and the quick climb outta the basement.

• habstrinifan says:

Same here re White. Although who does White replace in the lineup, say for next game. You cant break up the Eller/Prust/Armstrong.. it would be stupid in my opinion. That line has too much versatility… we havent seen this in a line with the habs for a long time(grit/size/playmaking/defensive ability). And you should keep the Kids with Bourque… they are more offensively attuned with Bourque than with Prust.

• wjc says:

Can’t win with Montreal fans. There is always another reason for success and the coach can only the blame for failure.

He deserves an “A”, if the team last year was a dismal failure and he has righted the ship, so far, then he deserves a bloody “A”

The team does not need Ryan White getting penalties at bad times.

Why not give him credit for Bourque, Why not?

You do not like Terrien, because you didn’t want him to be coach, so you are just trying to justify being wrong.

wjc

33. the Octopus says:

Re Hab in Surrey: evidently, he didn’t slash hard enough!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…?

EDIT: …I guess You are referring to Komisarek/Lucic …sorry Darren

…well, I believe Lucic would withstand any kind of slash You would send his way and make You pay for it x 10

…the best way to defend Lucic is not poke the bear, and out-score him

34. otter649 says:

The appears no doudt O’Reilly will be traded especially after last night when his father stuck his nose in with his opinion on how bad he thought The Avs Franchise was etc…….

35. Habfan17 says:

Scott Cullen has his TSN column now on what teams may trade for O’Reilly. He lists all the best Habs prospects after saying that a rpster player and top end prospect would do it, maybe a lower end prospect depending on who the roster player is.

Galchenyuk will be the number 1 centre one day unless he completely loses it. I still think Eller could be a solid number 2.

Having said that, and I know most people throw darts when his name is mentioned, but what about sending Pleks, Kristo, as long as he agrees to a contract, or send Bournival back.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

If they have O’Reilly signed first(less than $5 million annually) I’d be okay with your trade proposal.

Only problem is that Plekanec needs to be okay with it.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…do NOT touch Plekanec :(

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, $5 million is too much for now and like too many players, Pleks has a no trade. At least Colorado and Montreal have a history of trading.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Sorry, Pleks has value and is 30, and has peaked. Montreal needs more size down the middle. Eller is 23 with 3 full seasons under his belt already. Galchenyuk is the future number 1 and O’Reilly brings something the Habs lack and is only 22 with 3 full seasons already.
          The Habs have to look to the future and if they want to be legitimate contenders for many seasons, they need to make moves like this.

Habfan17

• Chris says:

O’Reilly is listed on the Avalanche site as 6’0″, 200 pounds.

Plekanec is 5’11”, 196 pounds.

I’m not sure there is a massive size difference there.

• Habfan17 says:

There is in the way they play!

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Habfan17

• Chris says:

I would trade Tomas Plekanec in the right deal.

But Ryan O’Reilly? What am I missing?

His peak in the OHL was 19 goals and 66 points. He had two 26 points seasons as a teenager, which is decent, and then broke out for 55 points in his contract year.

I would take Paul Stastny long before I took O’Reilly.

• Loonie says:

I really like Stastny but his contract is god awful.

I agree that we won’t see this offensive output from O’Reilly consistently throughout his career and the Avs’ statisticians are very generous with takeaways.

• Chris says:

His contract might be awful, but he’s the only guy of those two that has the potential to be a point-per-game player.

He’s been playing with plugs in Colorado the past few seasons, as the Avalanche have just been awful. He’s a 20 goal, 70 point guy when he’s got wingers. In the few games I’ve seen him play against the Habs, he’s always been a very good puck-hound in the neutral zone, not so far from a Plekanec or Datsyuk in the way he chases down opponents.

• Feel the same way about O’Reilly. Do we really want to pay Kaberle money and send a roster player and a top prospect the other way, for a relatively unproven player? He might turn out to be the centre we need — or he might not.

36. JF says:

I give Therrien an A based on results. Aside from that stinker against the Leafs, the team has been playing well. They play a much more exciting, up-tempo game than we saw under JM, and Therrien has them where no one expected to see them.

There are a lot of complaints about the treatment of certain players, especially Eller, but I’m not sure these complaints are justified. Therrien is using Eller in a way that makes him very effective and gives our fourth line the capacity to do damage. As for our erstwhile first line, they had a long rope because of how well they did last year, but he’s been trying to get them going by trying different combinations. It may be a case of waiting until Pacioretty gets up to speed, which I’m sure will happen soon as he is such a great athlete. But considering how much of our offence that line supplied last year and how little they’ve contributed so far this, Therrien is doing a good job of getting offence from other sources.

Of course there are always things to work on; and we certainly need to improve faceoffs and discipline. And the powerplay needs to get back to what it was; but the penalty kill, shaky in the first few games, has improved a lot.

• Loonie says:

The Eller talk from my end at least, isn’t about him being a victim. It’s about the team not putting its best foot forward. Burly made the point this morning that his role on the fourth line makes them better due to Desharnais’ inability to be on a fourth line in an effective capacity.

I think that’s as much speculation as it is to suggest that Eller wouldn’t be effective in a scoring role.

Either way Therrien’s receiving credit for Subban and Eller’s production when there’s nothing to validate it. In Eller’s case it’s the contrary.

Boone and other journalists are guilty of saying that Eller came back strong from his scratching. That’s false. He was benched and demoted to the fourth line in the subsequent games and only started to play well after having been kept on his line for two games following the demotion.

It’s true that some people are just itching to crucify Therrien, but there seems to be an equal or greater number ready to erect a statue of him.

• The Jackal says:

I don’t think so. No one is planning to cast a statue of MT, yet the pitchforks are at hand pending a loss, as usual. How is there nothing to validate Eller’s better play as of late? MT and the coaching staff have clearly talked with him and PK, and have explained their expectations and what they want from them, and apparently, from what we’ve seen on the ice, they seem to be buying into the new coaches’ plans.

Also, from what we saw under JM’s tenure, and what we see in this short season, we are a much more fun team to watch and we have been playing more aggressively and competitively. While this first stretch is no determinant of MT’s performance, it is a good indicator of what we can expect – hard work, effort, and a more aggressive, team-based style of play – sounds good to me, and to all the others who are happy with our 8-4-1 record. So… yeah MT has done a good job so far, can he keep it up? Let’s hope so. Either way, he has had at least some influence Eller’s play. It’s no secret they’ve communicated and that there is a spot for him on the team. Eller is definitely aware of what is going on and is definitely motivated not only to prove himself but to play with effort every night, and you must give some credit to the coaches for that, under any system.

• Loonie says:

1. There’s nothing to validate that Eller’s play is a result of Therrien. And despite your love affair with Therrien the facts spit in the face of his alleged positive involvement.

2. If Therrien communicated with Eller in a way that was different than benching and scratching him when his play was bad but no worse than his teammates’ and praised him after a good game it isn’t known. You’re assuming.

• boing007 says:

I think that MT is giving Eller valuable on the job training experience, even though it’s on the fourth line. The more he learns from this experience the better player he might become in the future.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

37. AnimalMother says:

Desharnais is useless

38. the Octopus says:

re the thread on the other page: You don’t have to fight Lucic to hurt him, for example: a crosscheck in the face or a vicious slash to the teeth would effectively send a message.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…as some may be aware, I was no Fan of Therrien being hired …BUT I voted a B

…so for now, I guess I’m a Therrien Fan-boy :(

…ughhh, what a foul taste I have in My mouth

…I hope Patrick can not read this :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PK !!!

40. ed says:

so let me try and understand this logic that somehow Therrien is responsible for Subban’s good play – as several posters have claimed below.

if Subban plays well, it’s Therrien who deserves the credit for “changing him”,

if Subban falters, it’s “see there. Subban has so much left to learn. thankfully Therrien will be here to teach him”

Essentially, Subban never gets credit and Therrien never takes any blame.

yup.

• Ozmodiar says:

I don’t think it was premeditated, and I don’t think he was going for the achilles. But, he knew where his foot was, and there was a little extra something on that push down.

• Chris says:

Completely accidental. Cooke won’t get the benefit of the doubt based on his history (although he did turn over a new leaf last season, to be fair), but that was absolutely unintentional.

No hockey player would ever attempt to do that on purpose.

• piter says:

I thought it looked like he tried to slew-foot Karlsson

41. Marc10 says:

MT gets an A. They’ve done the job without their top scorers and a make-shift defence.

He’s got Bourque going, kids coming along and a motivated Eller. The attack has a nice balance and when Max starts scoring, they’ll be even more lethal.

They just need to work on faceoffs and discipline… On ya coach! Winners find solutions!

• Loonie says:

Would it be the same grade following a loss?

I ask because he only two games ago stepped in and adjusted the penalty kill, if that was him at all. And to put it nicely it was a dumpster fire in the previous ten games.

Otherwise I agree it’s been great. But waiting ten games to make such a serious adjustment doesn’t put him into the perfect category. Waiting that amount of time in the playoffs will put you on the links in a hurry.

• Marc10 says:

I’m as bipolar as most posters here. Thought about giving him a B, but considering they played well enough to have 2 more wins and doing it with a small D in Goonville, it’s well beyond my expectations.

They asked the question now, so that’s my rating… We’ll see if they continue into March. I hope so.

42. jeffhabfan says:

I like the job MT is doing this year but I want him to play Ryan White more because he provides more muscle than Colby Armstrong. And I want him to let P.K. bring us out of our seats more.

43. Mattyleg says:

Hey, I dunno about you guys, but I’m wit da coach!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. t1tan5 says:

As the team’s performance is a reflection of the coach, I gave MT the same grade I gave the Habs: B.

45. I don’t like Therrien — his perma-sneer gets under my skin, his comments on l’Antichambre often rubbed me the wrong way, and I remember some pretty glaring flaws during his first stint behind the Habs’ bench.

But you know what, it doesn’t matter whether I like the guy or not. He’s doing a great job, has a great record so far, and has forgotten a lot more about coaching than I’ll ever know. So he gets an A from me.

46. jimmy shaker says:

MAB on his way to the nation’s capital…..good pick up!

Shaker out!

47. HabFanSince72 says:

If the Habs continue in this vein, Therrien will be a finalist for coach of the year.

48. Bripro says:

On a completely unrelated note, I guess most here heard about this morning’s sonic boom from a meteorite over the mountains of Ural?
    High up there on the WOW scale.

• Habshire says:

And yet there doesn’t seem to be any connection to the passing asteroid 17000 miles away. In Armageddon and Deep Impact there were bits and pieces preceding the big one.

• Chris says:

You get a lot of bits and pieces if there is a collision (most likely out in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter) as the asteroid is on its way towards the Earth. It’s pretty rare that all that debris would stay in phase with the big rock otherwise.

The scary thing is that as good as we are at tracking big rocks in space (and this one counts), there are still tons we know nothing about because of their highly elliptical trajectories. This one was only discovered on February 23, 2012, meaning that there could be other ones hurtling at us as well.

As for the two events, they are very much unrelated. The orbits were completely different.

49. commandant says:

Jack Stone goes on a rant on Matt Cooke.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Sportfan says:

The Cook situation is getting annoying it was an accident people are reacting like he’s a convict or something. He’s trying to change people should just let him do it, as I’ve said Siney Crosby or Malkin does it and no one says anything.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I had not seen the incident. Just looked at it on youtube.

I don’t know how one can say it’s clearly not deliberate. Don’t get me wrong. It might have been a accident. But it would look just the same if Cooke had actually been deliberately trying to stomp on Karlsson’s leg.

Given who Cooke is and using Bayesian statistics I place the likelihood of it being deliberate at 50%.

• Loonie says:

Ever played hockey? It’s relevant in this case. Cooke’s back and shoulders were positioned behind his waistline and knees as he approached Karlsson with forward momentum. That makes it incredibly difficult to place either skate in the exact position that he wants.

In addition, it’s visible in the replay that he tries to put his left knee into the back of Karlsson’s hamstring which coincides with the pin.

He may have meant to do it, but it’s an incredible long shot. If he meant to, his body positioning through the process of skating toward Karlsson up until the point of the skate impacting his leg suggests he went about it in a way that would be the exact opposite of how a player would carry out the intent.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Did he mean to sever his achilles’ tendon? I don’t think so.

Did he mean to hurt him? Maybe.

Did he calculate the precise angle and position that would inflict most damage? No.

He’s an angry guy with rage issues. It looks like he’s stomping down with his foot.

It’s like if I hurled a kitchen knife at someone in anger and it happened to hit them exactly between the 4th and 5th rib on the left and puncture their left ventricle and kill them. I might not have been able to calculate the trajectory precisely – I might not even have wanted to kill the guy. But would I be found guilty of manslaughter? Yes I would.

I think he probably stomped out of anger.

• Loonie says:

It’s actually more like you going to cut the end of a carrot with somebody’s hand nearby, missing and cutting their finger instead of your own.

It was a hockey play. It could have gone wrong due to Cooke’s great disguise of his intent or by accident.

I’m not taking a side in this other than to say that if Cooke was trying to do what he did, he went about doing it the wrong way logistically and his posture and positioning suggest he wasn’t trying to.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

The thrust with his left foot is what makes me think it was deliberate. His history doesn’t help him much.

50. Loonie says:

OMG(not the poster).

Now I know how some players got into Therrien’s good graces.

Thanks!

51. Old Bald Bird says:

C for me although he deserves higher based on results. I am more than willing to go higher in future, but I am have some doubts about apparently unequal treatment of players, so C is a safe hedge for me right now.

52. OMG says:

I’ll give MT a B+ when I see the lines like this for however long it takes to see if it works ….

Pacioretty Plekanec Gionta
    Bourque Galchenyuk Gallaghar
    Prust Eller Cole
    Moen DD Armstrong/ ????

53. Bripro says:

I gave him a “B” for bravery.
    Inheriting a house in disrepair is never easy, and so far, the house seems in much better shape.
    Aside from a few questionable tactics with his lines, and being out-coached by Randy Carlisle.

54. Blondie says:

Absolutely unreal. I just saw a news report about a bus taking some passengers from the Carnival Triumph to New Orleans. It broke down on the way and they had to wait 45 minutes for a replacement.

Can you imagine? Just wow.

55. Hobie Hansen says:

A for Therrien because I love the guy and the Habs are doing great!

Hopefully he thanks you for the cards and chocolates you sent him yesterday Hobie. :)

• shiram says:

Cheers Hobie, if he can maintain the pace the Habs are on, I’ll be sure to give him a better note and a star sticker on his next report!

• Hobie Hansen says:

My job here is to stick up for guys like Therrien, Moen, White, so my grade might be influenced a tad.

• The Jackal says:

Good job so far Hobie.
          Make sure you stick up for our guys in the trenches.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I often dream of playing on a line with Moen and White.

And by the way, If you’re reading this Mr. Bergevin I will play for an entry level contract and I will fight Lucic, Orr or even Chara.

• shiram says:

I always liked Moen and what he brought to the team, he embodied the guy that could play a regular shift, help out his team on the PK, pot in the odd goal and drop em when his team-mates needed him too.
          He has not been as good as he was the last few seasons, but I heard rumbles that he could be playing hurt, who knows?
          White can play a mean game too, and so far Therrien has done good with him too.
          If we all agreed there would be no great discussions!

56. shiram says:

Gave him a C, as I’m biased on don’t like the guy, but one cannot dispute the record so far, the team has been doing well on the majority of nights.

57. Say Ash says:

This web site sucks when the Habs win.