Prust among walking wounded as Habs clear out lockers Saturday

There will be no shortage of walking wounded when the Canadiens players clear out their lockers Saturday afternoon in Brossard before heading their separate ways for the summer.

Missing from the Game 5 loss to the Senators on Thursday night that eliminated the Canadiens were goalie Carey Price (knee), captain Brian Gionta (torn bicep tendon), Lars Eller (broken nose, teeth, concussion), Ryan White (upper-body injury), Alexei Emelin (knee) and Brandon Prust (upper-body injury).

Prust gave The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs the details about his “upper-body” injury, which was a separated rib (ouch!).

Prust suffered the injury in Game 4. When he returned to the Canadiens dressing room he pressed his palms against his rib cage and popped the rib mostly back into place.

“And the pain kinda went away,” he told Stubbs late Friday afternoon.

“I felt my ribs and thought: ‘Geez, what the hell?’ ” Prust recalled. “I could feel it as I kept playing. Then the last play of the third, when they tied it up, I fell to the ice and the rib popped out a little bit.

“I started spasming. I couldn’t move. We went into the room and I kinda felt good, thinking: ‘It’ll be all right, I think I can play with it.’ Then I went out for overtime, was skating up the ice along the far boards and it went, ‘pop.’ ”

As Stubbs writes: In fact, the rib had torn itself free from the cartilage that holds it in place at the chest.

Prust once again lived up to his motto: “It’s just pain.”

Check back later this afternoon when The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell will have an HIO report on the Habs clearing out their lockers.

(Photo by Francois Laplante/Freestyle Photo/Getty Images)

Prust takes his motto to new level, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens headed in right direction, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens deserved a bigger round of applause, by Stu Cowan

Emelin might have been Habs’ MVP, by Pat Hickey

Emmy winner Pierre McGuire weighs in on Habs, by Stu Cowan

No shortage of opinion from Habs fans, by Brenda Branswell

NHL moves closer to Sochi agreement, by Pat Hickey

1. Mavid says:

i miss habs hockey already..the good news is I am working from home next week because I am on baby watch..as my granddaughter could come any day now..

• Ron says:

Great fun Mary. I’m into the great grandkids now and I find as I got older I appreciate them more. Great time ahead for you I’m sure. Enjoy them all you can.

2. neumann103 says:

1. PRICE. How do you help Price for next year? Does he need a new coach?
    He definitely needs a new PK scheme that is not seemingly designed to concede uncovered shots from the high slot, or backdoor tap ins.

2. ELLER. Do you think Eller can be the same player he was? Is he our #1 center next year?
    Have heard so little about the actual injury, however the fact that he was on skates less than a week after the incident and reportedly looked good is huge. Plekanec is still number 1 but by 2014 there could be a 3 way logjam appearing with Pleks, Eller and AGally. Nice problem to have.

3. HALPERN & ARMSTRONG. Should either of these guys be kept for another year? At what max price?
    Halpern yes, Armstrong probably no. I don’t expect that Halpern commands more than he was making this year $700K. Armstrong might get other offers if people think think he showed enough of his potential higher ceiling. I think however it more likely that Therrien wants Colby back so Bergevin may end up making a “Boullion Part Deux” offer to Armdog.

4. PLEKANEC vs DD. Tragically, it seems Bergevin has painted himself into a corner with the DD contract. If one of these two guys has to go…. which one? Ship DD for very little return? Or trade Pleks for a good return but lose his contribution to just about every situation?
    Trade Desharnais. If this season accomplished anything of lasting merit it was ending the “Who is better: Desharnais or Eller?” debate. It still blows my mind that as recently as January, many people though benching Eller was just a dandy idea and that Desharnais was a #1 Center.
    Plekanec is certainly a player who would fetch a significant return, and I fear he will not finish this contract in MTL, but it is too early to get into the getting something for an expiring asset phase.
    There are probably 25 teams in the NHL that would love to pick up Pleks, but the only ones that would likely make a worthwhile (to the Habs) offer would be a team with a star player they could not afford to keep. I certainly entertained the thought of a Corey Perry trade before th Ducks signed him as an example of one of the only types of deals I would be willing to part with Plekanec over.

5. MOEN. What do you say to Moen in his exit interview about next year? Seriously – what?
    “Travis, were you pissed that we asked Brandon Prust to the Prom instead of you? You know we love you. What happened to you, Travis? What happened to us?
    “Et le but!”

3. habstrinifan says:

If the comment attributed to Plekanec is true, management needs to ask all players and coaches to ‘move on’. Habs are beginning to sound like major whiners.

4. Here are some trades or UFA’s signings? First thing needs to happen is NTC needs to be lifted by all who has one and is willing to move to another organization?

Trade Plekanec & White for Byfuglien (Wpg), Deharnais,Weber, Diaz & Draft Pick for Ott & McCormick (Buf), Gionta, Moen to whoever for draft picks.

Signed any of these UFA’s; Bryan Bickell (Chi), Kurtis Froster (Phi), Derek Roy (Van), Raffi Torres (Sjs), Pascal Dupuis (Pit), Brandon Morrow (Pit), Patrick Borderleau (Col), Dustin Penner (Lak) & Anthony Stewart (Lak).

Here’s my choices?

Pacioretty – Roy – Bourque

Markov – Subban

Dupuis/Morrow – Ott – Gallagher

Emelin/Beaulieu – Byfuglien

Galchenyuk – Eller – Prust

Tinordi – Foster

Bickell/Torres – McCormick – Bordeleau/Stewart

Just throwing this out there for some fun. Dream team for next season? Oh I wish for something like this????

Til next season my friends!!!

Go Habs Go!!! Keep HI/O alive over summer months.

5. Naslund110 says:

patch/eller/gally 4.5/1.325/870k
    borque/chucky/Horton 3.333,333/3,225,000/4
    brad boyes/dd/prust 1/3.5/2.5
    orr/white/brian mcgratten 1/700k/600k

moen army 1,850,000/1

subby/tinordi
    markov/emilin
    georges/Beaulieu
    diaz/Pateryn

price/luongo

6. C-Sword says:

Do you think Emelin will be playing like he did before the injury? He was injured before, but never like that.